SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

I've read battle tower sucks and there isn't even Super Singles lol...
Does anyone know if the lack of a 'super' mode means it's like the last games and you can use legendaries/level 100 Pokemon against level 50 opponents? If so, that would be a hilariously dumb way (and very fitting of Sword/Shield) of killing the Battle Tower.

Does anyone know if the lack of a 'super' mode means it's like the last games and you can use legendaries/level 100 Pokemon against level 50 opponents? If so, that would be a hilariously dumb way (and very fitting of Sword/Shield) of killing the Battle Tower.
I'd personally like "you can use legendaries but they're scaled down to level 50". Give me something to do with my Zacian, and leave the super hard difficulty for people who choose to incur it.

Never much cared for the RNGfest that Battle Tower Singles was, though I hope it's not ruined for people who enjoy chasing records.

Last edited:
Any information on Toxtricity? Did it's ampted form get datamined yet?
Apparently, the form is based on the Pokémon’s nature. I don’t have the list of natures that determines which form on me atm, but you can kinda guess which one goes for which form based on the name. Amped uses wilder-sounding natures like Jolly, Adamant, Sassy, etc while Low-Key uses Timid, Modest, etc.

It would be also interesting to know if trainers can use dynamax/gigamax Pkm similar to them being able to use Mega Pkm last gen.

Is battle tower important? Why do we need it in this game of wild area grants easy currency? That was it’s only purpose in past games.

Is battle tower important? Why do we need it in this game of wild area grants easy currency? That was it’s only purpose in past games.
What?

Battle Tower and Breeding have been the only Post-Game since Generation V afterwards (3DS era). I don't know about you, but the only things that I do in XY, ORAS, and SuMo are breding and chasing records in Battle Tower.

Why do we need it? Because it's the only Post-Game replayable challenge the games have to offer. Even with mediocre Post-Games, after finishing USUM I'd say "time to expend 500 hours in the Tower". Now it's "time to... to??" Because killing a random D-Max Minior in the map is not comparable.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
on top of what Sirya said, they both give different currencies. Battle Tower gives BP, which you use to buy nature mints and hold items, whereas the wild area gives Watts, which you use to buy TRs

Apparently, the form is based on the Pokémon’s nature. I don’t have the list of natures that determines which form on me atm, but you can kinda guess which one goes for which form based on the name. Amped uses wilder-sounding natures like Jolly, Adamant, Sassy, etc while Low-Key uses Timid, Modest, etc.
Do the forms cause a difference in stats? Or is it just a visual change, and does it affect the gigantamax form?

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Do the forms cause a difference in stats? Or is it just a visual change, and does it affect the gigantamax form?
It doesn't affect Gigantamax apparently, neither affects stats, but it does affect some moves they learn. For example, one form learns Magnetic Flux but the other ones learns Shift Gear

What?

Battle Tower and Breeding have been the only Post-Game since Generation V afterwards (3DS era). I don't know about you, but the only things that I do in XY, ORAS, and SuMo are breding and chasing records in Battle Tower.

Why do we need it? Because it's the only Post-Game replayable challenge the games have to offer. Even with mediocre Post-Games, after finishing USUM I'd say "time to expend 500 hours in the Tower". Now it's "time to... to??" Because killing a random D-Max Minior in the map is not comparable.
It’s a really repetitive grind. It may have been postgame stuff you could do, but it wasn’t that interesting. You just fight battles with the same pregenerated Pokémon over and over again and pray you don’t lose to RNG somehow.

Battle frontier was a better spin on it with the whole puzzle solving, dungeon exploring, test of endurance, and rental rogue-like elements, but battle tower is just the worst version of it. I won’t waste my energy begging for it back since there were a dozen better post game-ideas they’ve come up with.

It’s a really repetitive grind. It may have been postgame stuff you could do, but it wasn’t that interesting. You just fight battles with the same pregenerated Pokémon over and over again and pray you don’t lose to RNG somehow.

Battle frontier was a better spin on it with the whole puzzle solving, dungeon exploring, test of endurance, and rental rogue-like elements, but battle tower is just the worst version of it. I won’t waste my energy begging for it back since there were a dozen better post game-ideas they’ve come up with.
Yeah but SwSh doesnt come with Battle Frontier, that's why we hoped that Tower will actually be good on its own

What?

It's also interesting to reflect on the AI's decisions, at least for me. You could learn a lot about it and try to make it better if you want to create a fangame.

> Pokémon Emerald, Platinum and HG/SS had Battle Frontier.
> Pokémon games that came after didn't, but they had, at least, Battle Tower (see BW and BW2, most ambitious Pokémon games ever made).
> Pokémon with no Post-Game whatsoever, namely XY, ORAS and Sumo had, at least, Battle Tower.
> Pokémon Sword and Shield have the first traditional Battle Tower without Super Singles since the 3DS era —aka no Post-Game— started.

Logical conclusion: "Fuck. One thing less I could enjoy".
Your conclusion: "It doesn't matter because Battle Tower was worse than Battle Frontier".
My conclusion based on your way of thinking: "Nothing matters. BW2 are still the greatest Pokémon games in terms of content so, for me, it'd be nice even if Sword and Shield only have 1 Town and the story last 30 minutes".

?¿?¿? Don't bother. You are already dead inside.

Any info on the extra 35 Pokemon in the datamine ?
As in, what they are?

We have:

Bulbasaur Line
Squirtle Line
All three Alola starter lines
Mewtwo and Mew
Celebi, Jirachi, Marshadow and Zeraora
Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem
Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala and Necrozma
Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion and Keldeo
Two mythicals which are currently placeholders and have their data scrubbed.

As in, what they are?

We have:

Bulbasaur Line
Squirtle Line
All three Alola starter lines
Mewtwo and Mew
Celebi, Jirachi, Marshadow and Zeraora
Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem
Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala and Necrozma
Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion and Keldeo
Two mythicals which are currently placeholders and have their data scrubbed.
Seems like these won't be available at launch unless I am mistaken? I assume the other mythicals with no data are new for Sword & Shield.

Correct on both counts.
Thanks. A few other questions if you or someone else doesn't mind. What are over world vs non-over world encounters? And do we have the BST for the Gigantamax forms? Or catch rate and location? Are the ones caught in raid battles shiny locked? Looking through them and I can't see any that stands out. Just saw one Kingler type as an example.

Looks like there are Kanto, Alola & Galarian Meowths to. Wondering if Alola variants will come with the extra 35.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)