SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Hoping that we get some Pokémon with surge abilities now that the Tapus are gone ala Ninetails and Politoed getting weather so that Stunfisk could be more useful.

I’m a bit disappointed by Cursola’s stats but I am really hoping for Trick Room and Shell Smash on it. Hopefully an interesting hidden ability as well. Wish that the leaker gave Corsola’s stats so we could see the potential for Eviolite Shenanigans (though unless it has recovery it would just be a worse Dusclops).

I love the new boots item but I’m pissed it had to come in a generation that Articuno was cut. I wish my favorite bird could’ve been viable. Glad my favorite moth this gen is a bit more viable with it though. How many 4x Stealth Rock mons are in this generation? Seems like it would only be worth using for them?

Let's be realistic though, why wouldn't you run Mirror Armor on it anyway, Pressure would be okay for stalling I guess but that'd feel kind of a waste of the potential of the Pokemon.
At least in singles, I'd go with Pressure. Intimidate is probably going to be fairly common seeing as how Gyarados rules the speculatory meta, but Mirror Armor would only do something if Gyarados switches into Corviknight, not the other way around. It's also immune to Sticky Web, so no cheese there. Other than that, stat drops aren't very common, unless Obstagoon or that octopus become super popular.

Greedent has respectable physical bulk for an early game, Normal rodent. And those usually have good or absolutely good Hidden Abilities. I'm curious what it will get.
I agree. Greedent has impressive bulk for an early-game rodent. Also wondering what its 2nd/HA will be. Its bulk very much makes up for its low speed.

On the other hand, Grimmsnarl and Hatterene seem underwhelming... they seem to have Flareon/Primarina syndrome... good offense, but not enough bulk to support their low speed.

What's going to make choosing a starter hard for me (for ingame at least) is that each one has an impressive alternative (water has Barraskewda, which is like a physical Inteleon, fire has Centiskorch, and grass has FlAppletun). I guess it will come down to what moves the starters get. Inteleon with NP would be lethal...

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I can't put this in the little things you like about Pokemon thread because it contains spoiler material, but can we take a moment to appreciate how crazy and creative the Dragon type designs have been since Gen 6? Now there were obviously some cool dragons beforehand (Hydreigon is in my top 5 favorite Pokemon) and a few unconventional ones (Flygon, Kingdra), but ever since that generation in particular it feels like they've really stretched the criteria for being a dragon and I love it. Slime creatures, old mountain men, palm trees, and now Galar has been given us a spooky stealth bomber and a freaking apple pie drake. More of these kinds of dragons, please.

I can't put this in the little things you like about Pokemon thread because it contains spoiler material, but can we take a moment to appreciate how crazy and creative the Dragon type designs have been since Gen 6? Now there were obviously some cool dragons beforehand (Hydreigon is in my top 5 favorite Pokemon) and a few unconventional ones (Flygon, Kingdra), but ever since that generation in particular it feels like they've really stretched the criteria for being a dragon and I love it. Slime creatures, old mountain men, palm trees, and now Galar has been given us a spooky stealth bomber and a freaking apple pie drake. More of these kinds of dragons, please.
Yea I really like the shift away from every dragon being this big cool badass creature. Dragalge and B2-Bomber are two of my favorite Pokemon designs period, and they're cool as hell while still fitting Dragon-type thematically.

Dragon's been so original yup, altho I think this has been the case since it's origins. The last Pokémon that I truly see as a typical dragon is Salamence. Garchomp doesn't resemble a dragon at all, and yes, I know that different mythologies have depicted dragons in a lot of ways, but still, Garchomp is not what you think of when you have a dragon in mind. Nor are Palkia, Dialga, Hydreigon, Haxorus, Goodra or Kommo-o. Most of the dragons we see as dragons are because of the Pokémon franchise, because things like Necrozma look like an angel, if you show its design to someone who haven't played Pokémon it'll be difficult for that person to see a dragon.

But our boi Apple Dragon is so original.

Dragon's been so original yup, altho I think this has been the case since it's origins. The last Pokémon that I truly see as a typical dragon is Salamence. Garchomp doesn't resemble a dragon at all, and yes, I know that different mythologies have depicted dragons in a lot of ways, but still, Garchomp is not what you think of when you have a dragon in mind. Nor are Palkia, Dialga, Hydreigon, Haxorus, Goodra or Kommo-o. Most of the dragons we see as dragons are because of the Pokémon franchise, because things like Necrozma look like an angel, if you show its design to someone who haven't played Pokémon it'll be difficult for that person to see a dragon.

But our boi Apple Dragon is so original.
Frankly, Dragon-types that are actual Dragons are the exception, not the rule.

You have Dragonite, Salamence, Mega Charizard X, Ultra Necrozma... and hardly anything else. Kingdra and Dragalge are seahorses, Garchomp is a sharkman, Hydreigon is the Orochi, Goodra is a slug, Naganadel is an alien bee, and almost everything else is a dinosaur.

They increased the variety, but something like Appletun actually fits with most Dragon-type Pokémon.

I think the interesting thing about the Dragon-Type is that it has gotten less "serious" over time. We've always had more unconventional creatures in the type (stuff like Kingdra, Altaria or Garchomp break some of the design's concepts by not looking like traditional dragons and such), but a thing that has been happening since Gen 6 or so is that Game Freak has been making Dragons that look a lot sillier than before.

Goomy's family is the biggest example of that, and this continued in Gen 7 with stuff like Drampa and Tortunator, but in Gen 8 this has accentuated massively. We've got ghosts that shoot their own pre-evolutions, cannons that turn into fancy buildings and even apple pies now.

Stuff like Altaria and Kindra are still relatively serious-looking Pokémon, but more recent members of the type seemed to be created with the intention of looking really bizarre and silly, something that has been much more common with other types since their creation. The Dragon-Type became much more "normal" recently, we've gotten less mythical-looking, rare speciments, and more weird, funny-looking lizards, and that's honestly really nice to see.

Everyone saying they’ve broken the dragon mold but nobody asking why. There are plenty of other types to experiment with but now it seems we’ve just thrown rhyme and reason to the wind.

Am I the only one whose starter will be Rookidee? The others are just miserable.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f6nll_1FTDVYR2wVxUHuyqWxTOQtU6kO7_ibcY2Lf_0/htmlview#
There is this document, actually (hope I'm allowed to share it) c:

Everyone saying they’ve broken the dragon mold but nobody asking why. There are plenty of other types to experiment with but now it seems we’ve just thrown rhyme and reason to the wind.

Am I the only one whose starter will be Rookidee? The others are just miserable.
It's not a bad thing GF makes their dragons aren't that serious anymore :o

And nah, I'm following you with Rookidee, Corviknight is my second most loved mon this generation so far c:

I'll use Rookidee because Corviknight looks pretty damn bulky, but the starters aren't that bad. They would all like a secondary STAB but their stat distributions are pretty damn good. Cinderace and Inteleon are typical glass cannons and I'm eager to see if they get any good boosting moves (Inteleon with NP?). Rillaboom is surprisingly not that slow for something with decent bulk and great attack, but the pure grass is "meh".

i find it rather interesting that they gave cover legends a new form something usually reserved for 3rd versions/sequels right from the get go, cover legends are 680bst(kyogre/groudon were 670). so i am guessing sword zacian/shield zamazenta probably have 700-720 BST? thats incredibly strong, eternus is looking to be rather strong as well. if all 3 have good move pool, they'll be ubers at the very least.

ps what was the bst of ultra necrozama?

another irony i found was this gen is polar opposite of gen 7 which was mostly slow mon, galar has a lot of fast mons...

I think the cover legends need to hold items to go into their second forms. It reminds me a bit of the orbs for the Sinnoh legnds giving them boosts and changing Giratina's form, or the orbs in ORAS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)