SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

GIgantamax forms don't have dex info. It's only Eternatus that does.
So they only gave the height info in the promos for the game but not in the game itself? That's dumb -_-
Although, has anyone found the scaling factor for Dynamax in general? (Like is the model increased by a scale of 20 or 30?)

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I feel like this game's story is the result of me wishing on a monkey's paw back in Gen 6.

After Team Flare proved to have way too serious a goal for how inept and comical 95% of them came across I wanted a story that was less serious villain Team Rocket style. But I still wanted a story!

Because Team Yell is the absolute worst "evil" team bar none, just some rowdy fans with no story significance whatsoever. And this is coming off of Team Skull which is one of the best villains in a while (not super serious but also darkly sympathetic and involved in someone's evil plot).

Just adds to the feeling that this game really is hollow: they cut out the challenges, they've cut off half the pokedex, they've cut mechanics, they've cut off dungeons and routes, they've cut the elite four (now just returning gym leaders), so it's no surprise that what little passes for a pokemon game story gets cut as well.

And for all these cuts I just wonder if we got anything in return? A few new pokemon (which admittedly some are cool) but all this for dynamaxing and a bare-bones wild area?

To say one nice thing, I think taking the gym leader challenge and turning into a sports competition was a good choice and the soundtrack has a bunch of bangers. It's just beyond the crust this game seems really hollow.
can you gimme a relatively spoiler-free tl;dr of your thoughts and grievances? as i type im trying not to look at quoted text lmao

can you gimme a relatively spoiler-free tl;dr of your thoughts and grievances? as i type im trying not to look at quoted text lmao
I'll try...

You know how Team Flare's comical demeanor really clashed with a motive like global genocide? So at the time I wished Gamefreak would go back to simple criminals like Team Rocket.

Let's say they took that ball and ran it further than it's ever gone before. The game is almost plot-less save for the absolute tail-end.

For those who want more explicit story spoilers, see the hide-tab below:
While I suspect this isn't a surprise to most of you, Rose is the true villain who awakens Eternatus to use as a battery for an implied energy shortage but of course it runs amock. But Rose operates independently with no support (save Oleana who is dealt with elsewhere), so you get a boss fight against him but no underlings nor dungeons to get through. It's just him. And after beating him he's waaaaaaaaay too chill about the whole affair and is quietly arrested off-screen after the fight with Eternatus.

Eternatus is ultimately a pokemon so as you should know by Gamefreak lore there's no such thing as a truly bad pokemon. You get admittedly a neat 4 on 1 fight against it's Eternamax form (you, Hop, and the two cover legends) but despite the hype it doesn't do much evil stuff. It's a re-hash of Necrozma, almost note-for-note).

Team Yell is exactly what they appear to be: rowdy fans. They stop being relevant not long after the mid-point.

80% of the story is instead a sports anime, just take away most of the drama.

There is a sidequest in the background about how the Galar royalty lied and stole the credit for defeating Eternatus in the past from the cover wolves, but it has sidequest stakes (largely resolved within itself with little impact on anyone else). It's mostly in the post game, and the Galar royalty are so foppish that they cannot be taken seriously even for a Pokemon game (get this, it's two brothers with their hair in the shape of a sword and shield). You do get a match with Hop and his cover legend at the end of it, but it's a completely friendly bout and nowhere near the level of N's fight in Black and White.

Last edited:
As in, what they are?

We have:

Bulbasaur Line
Squirtle Line
All three Alola starter lines
Mewtwo and Mew
Celebi, Jirachi, Marshadow and Zeraora
Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem
Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala and Necrozma
Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion and Keldeo
Two mythicals which are currently placeholders and have their data scrubbed.
I meant as in- are they in the game ?

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It also means dusk mane necrozma is probably now the most broken pokemon ever- mega rayquaza-esque total ban incoming ?
Not really? Zacian looks to be the most dangerous Pokémon rn, and we also got Nasty Plot Mewtwo, Reshiram having an amazing type, Lunala also will probably be very good, etc.

But Necrozma isn't going to be in the game right? At least not into Home?
The following non-Galar native Pokemon are in the game's Coding but are current unobtainable, but probably will be available via event and/or Pokemon Home:
-Bulbasaur Line
-Squirtle Line
-Ash Cap Pikachu (All 7 of them)
-Alolan Raichu
-Alolan Vulpix Line
-Alolan Diglett Line
-Alolan Meowth Line
-Mewtwo
-Mew
-Celebi
-Jirachi
-Cobalion
-Terrakion
-Virizion
-Reshiram
-Zekrom
-Kyurem (Including Black/White forms)
-Keldeo
-Rowlett Line
-Litten Line
-Popplio Line
-Cosmog Line
-Necrozma (Including Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings forms, Ultra Necrozma however is not coded into the game due to no Z-moves)
-Marshadow
-Zeraora
-Meltan Line (Including a Gigantamax Melmetal)

Still can't find a video of someone opening up the box and clicking "check summary". Oddly, I found pictures of this months in advance for Let's Go. Skimming youtube videos but they're long and all focus on the same story gameplay stuff. Find it odd that no one seems to have any interest in showing off what stats you can see in game or how the box system fully works... and its driving me crazy!

Suppose I'll know sometime tomorrow if I can get a chance to pick up a copy.

Werster uploaded his full first playthrough in full (8 hours, spoilers). At this point it's kind of not prerelease, but better safe than sorry.

One small thing I noticed here is that X items are used automatically on the active Pokemon, unlike since Gen 5 where they let you choose others in your party that would just fail.

EDIT: Werster uploaded postgame. He got the IV Judge and battle tower music after beating Leon in the Battle Tower, though he did it in one go so it may just have all unlocked when he came out. I like that you get a brief description of any new items you get. Don't like the 1 second animation that you have a dynamax band at the start of every battle.

Last edited:
So another Gigantamax question. Toxtricity, Sandaconda & Orbeetle. Are these available at release or are these events? Somehow they slipped right under my nose.

Snorlax looks to be more a future event? Or is that available day one to?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)