Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader

This is interesting. There's definitely not enough of a difference between these two icons for this to feasibly be a different form imo - they're the same design in different poses. Not sure what to make of this, but I've seen the idea of them being a group of mons like Falinks or Exeggcute and the two of them are meant to be one single icon here. Only issue with that is that it'd be a rather wide icon, but I can maybe see that (Specially with such simplistic baymax ass designs - they're meant to be seen as groups so maybe having more complex design would be visually cluttered)

WHOA CALM DOWN YOU FOLKS ARE POSTING WAY TOO MUCH WAY TOO FAST!
It's so incredibly pokemon to turn a nice QoL feature into a story-necessary mechanic, to the benefit of nobody whatsoever. I sure do love being forced to autobattle thru story segments
Maybe the player can do something else at the same time. Maybe throwing rocks and baits. Or punching grunts. Or solving a puzzle.
I challenge anyone to find a good-looking tree in modern 3D games. Any game. Even on "beautiful" games like RDR2 or The Witcher 3, no-one is excited to stare at trees for more than two seconds.
I’ve been sitting here for a few minutes now trying to think of any critiques I have for the trailer, and I really can’t think of much. Even that bit with the choppy frame rate Sunflora group doesn’t worry that much since A. this was probably taken from an earlier build of the game, and B. there’s bound to be some frame rate issues when specific assets of a game (i.e. Sunflora’s 3D model) are duplicated over itself multiple times.
Yeah, that scene with Sunflora is choppy as heck. Hopefully it will be fixed soon, preferably on release.
View attachment 457227
3 new Pokémon revealed on the minimap at 7:16.
Discount Minccino, a parrot clipart, and a Super Mario mushroom with a block of sugar or a chimney stuck inside.
I wonder if that new shroom evolves into Mario.
View attachment 457228
The great error has been corrected. We are back to where we always belonged.

Eat shit, Mega Evolution.
WHOAWHOAWHOA- Spoilers! Calm down, mate! Not even the leakers crossed this line!
The thing that stands out to me more is that more of Gen 2's mons are being saved from the pits of utter mediocrity and forgettableness with these new evolutions to redeem them.

Wyrdeer and Farigiraf in particular are two of the most welcome new evolutions because Stantler and Girafarig have historically been two of the most mediocre and forgettable Pokemon in existence who became more and more forgettable and bad as time went on, so them having new evolutions to redeem them and make them stand out more is by all means welcome.

I am very happy to see more and more of Gen 2's roster being saved from the realms of mediocrity, they deserve it.
Coincidentally, Johto Normal-Types seem to be the pattern here. They’ve covered most of them by now if we count the Dunsparce leaks. I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I think that just leaves Furret and Noctowl as the only two left. Noctowl could get help in a number of ways, and Furret… well, here’s what I’ll say.

Unova remakes are next in line, and after what happened with the Furret walk memes… hey, you never know
Wait... Are you telling me there's a chance for Furret, Unown and Dunsparce?:quagchamppogsire:
"Hmmm i haven't battled my friend in a while, I wonder how his Lechonk is doin-"

View attachment 457231
"Oh my Arceus they ate Lechonk!
- You bastards!"
Ok so we have Rock Mushroom Pokemon, and Breloom is in the game, now we have Scuttle Bug.

Is Steel Terastallize gonna be Metal Cap too?
Watch the Psychic or Fairy one look like a Star Bit. And while we’re at it, Minior in general exists.
My biggest complaint about this trailer: no new Terastal hats. Boo.
What I'm most interested about are breeding mechanics. This' been the most important aspect of Pokémon to me since Gen IV -I truly love everything related to this things, thats why I'm a huge fan of SA2 Chao Island etc-, and I don't grasp at all how the new hatching egg thing will be. I hope it turns out fine.
it's wild to me how NOTHING the explanation was, even the site doesnt clarify literally anything. Just "wow, you can find eggs!"
Hasnt that been the explanation for pokemon breeding for last 20 years though. The breeders also just "found eggs" without even knowing where they're from :tymp:
The unfunny answer to where Eggs come from: 1665079972199.png

(To be continued...)

Last edited:

This is interesting. There's definitely not enough of a difference between these two icons for this to feasibly be a different form imo - they're the same design in different poses. Not sure what to make of this, but I've seen the idea of them being a group of mons like Falinks or Exeggcute and the two of them are meant to be one single icon here. Only issue with that is that it'd be a rather wide icon, but I can maybe see that (Specially with such simplistic baymax ass designs - they're meant to be seen as groups so maybe having more complex design would be visually cluttered)
I looked at the trailer again and there are no animations for those sprites, so it’s probably a variation like Meowstic or really obvious gender difference.

(Previously on...)
HERE COMES PART DEEEEEEUUUUX!
that alone could automatically make the pokemon VGC viable assuming its stats arent garbage.
Big assumption, though, Normal/Psychic isn't exactly a great offensive type, even if you were to factor in teralyze.
Crossing fingers for solid stats and even better movelist.
Recycle cud chew could actually be super cool, especially with substitute shenanigans
Were Berry shenanigans ever successful in VGC? Because Greedent has a Berry-based gimmick and nobody uses it.
I don't think there's been a crafting system I enjoyed. It being the main way to get TMs is a huge turn-off.
I never have strong opinions on item crafting for some reason, despite being popular among RPG fans.
Probably because every time I tried to make an RPG Maker game and found a crafting script, I gave up after the fifth crafting ingredient.
When has redundancy ever stopped Game Freak? :bat:
Delibird enters the chat.
The English trailer seems to be using a much older buld than the Japanese one. JP runs at a much better framerate and doesn't have the 3 minimap mons visble (Also the Wooper in the picnic scene stays the same form)

I have no idea why the trailer is like this but at least we know the framerate is improved in more recent builds
Yet another instance of the export being worse than the original.
Anyone try mathing out what base power Tera Blast could have? Is that sort of thing okay here because it is possible it may not have that high of a base power. (Someone in one of the discords i am in has done math on it)
I mean... You have to guess the attacker's stats, the defender's stats, and whether old Pokémon received a BST buff.
It's basically impossible.
grimer and muk being in means that alolan muk can be transfered in.

my boy is finally coming home
*BANG BANG*
>CAM ON INGRLAND
*BANG BANG*
>SCOR SOM FACKIN GOALS
*BANG BANG*
Glad gamefreak finally capitalized on the animal markings of "oh my god hes wearing pants" and "he has a little shirt on"
You never saw Grafaiai's hoodie?

To me that doesn't like sleep at all...

- Chansey isnt using any sleep move in first place.
- Drifloon actually attacks while asleep
- the status goes away at random on the GiragarigV2
- there's also generic chip damage going around
- the clip is also cut in many points, so this may also just be a mash of separated fights for the video.

I specifically said "outside of encounter specific gimmicks" earlier for this kind of reasons: from what I remind, it was implied that Tera-Raids are actually not "turn based" but everyone gets to do their stuff separately.

Incidentally, the ZZZ may very well be "Drowsy-like" effect, or a slow, or something similar, but mainly due to the "real time" nature of the Teralyze battles. Kinda like certain moves had different effects or were not usable during Dynamax Raids due to the nature of the "4 player" battle.

.....THAT SAID, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. Despite my words, I wouldn't actually mind Drowsy/Frostburn to replace the mainline statuses. I just don't see that happening.

Ah I see, my bad there.

A shame though, that'd be a interesting mechanic unironically.

Ok so I looked through the part with the sleeping Farigiraf to make sure nothing was misinterpreted and uh. It very visibly took chip damage from Sleep

Yeah ok this is something else
This is my interpretation of what is happening in the raid battles.
Most importantly is that you are only seeing your perspective of Chansey using moves on you and your allies using moves against it, but not Chansey using moves on your allies, but the Chansey is probably using Sing to cause sleep.
Personally I believe the linked animation of other people losing HP is just a representation of their damage taken syncing up to your display after Chansey attacks them, as it happens when people are put to sleep, damaged, or fainted in general.
1665081592765.png
1665081643224.png

The mons shaking after getting slept and their HP bars updating.

At 12:13 you can see Farigiraf doing a sleep animation. I believe this is showing Farigiraf burning a sleep turn as normal since it is not shown to attack before this.
1665081135977.png

When Farigiraf seems to attack while asleep, I believe this is just the input being sent and the mini display being updated with a delay as Farigiraf loses the sleep icon afterwards, implying it woke up to attack.
EDIT: Basically what I think happens here in a nutshell is that the game has to tell the move being used to the other games at the start of the "turn" in order for the other games to show the attack animation, but the game only updates the mini display pokemon's status and HP at the end of their "turn" as that's when the enemy raid mon will affect it, so we end up seeing that Farigiraf is ready to use a move before its status is updated to us.
1665081177481.png

1665081203520.png

Also Farigiraf POV shows the status as "ASLEEP" and not drowsy.
1665081053214.png

Note that Drifblim's order to use Shadow Ball is sent before it is updated with sleep. On Drifblim's POV they probably used Shadow Ball and got slept before we saw it.
1665081399553.png

1665081405657.png

As an aside I think a raid mon that spams status like this could be pretty annoying and a veil mon might be nice to have.

Last edited:
Really not a fan of Farigiraf. It having one double head and no tail as opposed to having a head on its tail misses the whole point of its name being a palindrome.
Also it doubles down on the annoying trend of "must give every new Pokemon a signature something no matter what" by giving it two signature abilities, one of which goes even further by being a clone of an ability that was already split into two clones just so they could say two Pokemon had signature abilities. It's also not so different from Girafarig that it warrants two brand-new abilities. Maybe Girafarig doesn't wear its tail as a helmet, but what changed during evolution to make it suddenly so proficient at chewing cud?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Faragarif's Cud Chew is like Applin's Ripen, but triggering a second time at the end of the turn sounds worse than doubling the effect immediately. Only getting +1 for the first turn if you're slower and eat a Liechi or Petaya Berry before attacking sounds like a problem if you want the full double boost and there's times in Doubles that the extra healing immediately would let you endure the second attack instead of waiting until after. That said, it sounds like mostly a niche difference and it won't matter much because Girafarig already learned Agility and Nasty Plot for boosting stats without using their item and Armor Tail granting Sucker Punch Immunity sound nice. Maybe if you want to boost Attack or Defence? Even then, you're probably better off with Curse from Gen 2 Transfer and taking whatever the Hidden Ability is, especially if it's still Sap Sipper after evolution.

Regarding the Competitive part of SV, now that Muk and by extension his Alola Form is back, I really hope Gliscor DOESN'T come back. With No Megas, No Z Moves and (hopefully) reduced movepools of many Mons while maintaining Knock Off, it could really shine without Gliscor to make its life miserable. Even with reduced PPs, Rest is gonna be good on Muk in conjuction with Sleep Talk + Poison Jab, Taunt + Mean Look or Curse + Sleep Talk/Coverage (Fire Punch maybe) move. Really missed this Mon being in SS with all the crazy ghost SPAM, now it could really be his chance. It just needs Gliscor not being there.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Also it doubles down on the annoying trend of "must give every new Pokemon a signature something no matter what" by giving it two signature abilities, one of which goes even further by being a clone of an ability that was already split into two clones just so they could say two Pokemon had signature abilities. It's also not so different from Girafarig that it warrants two brand-new abilities. Maybe Girafarig doesn't wear its tail as a helmet, but what changed during evolution to make it suddenly so proficient at chewing cud?
I feel the idea with Cud Chew is a sort of play on how ruminant animals chew their food twice to fully digest it - Farigiraf has two heads so it plays into that by literally chewing the food with two heads. I don't mind that as a probably not viable but fun gimmick ability (And also as the current leader of Fusion Evolution I can't wait to make new abilities using that but thats just a personal thing).

Will agree that Armour Tail is rather weird of a choice though, feels like they could either just have given it Dazzling or given it another ability entirely. Its a most likely slow mon anyways so I feel the most it would make out of a priority immunity (Specially in an official format context) is being immune to Fake Out... except Girafarig already had Inner focus so it could've kept that upon evolving lol. Idt every mon having a signature is that bad when they tend to distribute said sigs in future titles, but I think Farigiraf really didn't need to have two of them. (Also for what its worth, both the Gen 7 priority immune mons had other signatures anyways in Trop Kick and Psychic fangs; idt they were made as clones just to have a signature on their respective mons)

It doesn't help that this ability is functionally the same as both Dazzling and Queenly Majesty - so why bother making them separate abilities at all? I suppose Farigarif isn't the most dazzling creature, but even then, why contribute to the sheer bloat that this series suffers from by giving it yet another ability when two other identical ones exist?

Really, this constant stream of signature abilities kinda seems to miss the fact that Pokemon don't inherently need something to be unique in terms of function. There's so many factors that go into a Pokemon's gameplay function - statline, typing, abilities, movepool - that two 'mons that are otherwise very similar may distinguish themselves entirely by one different aspect alone. This series already suffers from having entirely too much data to move from one game to the next - why contribute to it with a slew of unique abilities to keep track of?

I feel the idea with Cud Chew is a sort of play on how ruminant animals chew their food twice to fully digest it - Farigiraf has two heads so it plays into that by literally chewing the food with two heads. I don't mind that as a probably not viable but fun gimmick ability (And also as the current leader of Fusion Evolution I can't wait to make new abilities using that but thats just a personal thing).

Will agree that Armour Tail is rather weird of a choice though, feels like they could either just have given it Dazzling or given it another ability entirely. Its a most likely slow mon anyways so I feel the most it would make out of a priority immunity (Specially in an official format context) is being immune to Fake Out... except Girafarig already had Inner focus so it could've kept that upon evolving lol. Idt every mon having a signature is that bad when they tend to distribute said sigs in future titles, but I think Farigiraf really didn't need to have two of them. (Also for what its worth, both the Gen 7 priority immune mons had other signatures anyways in Trop Kick and Psychic fangs; idt they were made as clones just to have a signature on their respective mons)
I think they didn't give it Dazzling because, well, it's not Dazzling. They didn't make a "one purpose fits all" ability name to begin with so it just got a new one that does the same thing. And may as well keep the theme of being "unique".

Cud Chew feels like something that should get spread around to existing Pokemon.... but Tauros, Miltank and Bouffalant are all full on abilities. Maybe there's some new pokemon that can get it too.

The bit about having two heads is true, but Girafarig also has two heads. In fact, Girafarig's extra head is more capable of ruminating, because it may or may not actually have a working mouth and throat as opposed to Farigiraf where it's just an outer shell over the main head.

If this was a brand new Pokemon with Chew Cud, I'd grumble a bit but be otherwise fine with an interesting new ability (CTNC's right about it being mostly inferior to Ripen, but double Custap is at least neat). But it's not a brand new Pokemon. It's Girafarig in a hoodie. If they also change one of Girafarig's abilities to Chew Cud it'd be another story but I doubt they'll do that.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Something really weird that has come up

The English trailer seems to be using a much older buld than the Japanese one. JP runs at a much better framerate and doesn't have the 3 minimap mons visble (Also the Wooper in the picnic scene stays the same form)

I have no idea why the trailer is like this but at least we know the framerate is improved in more recent builds
I wanna return to this because I just gotta ask: What the actual hell happened with the US/UK trailer?

In addition to the borked framerates, it was discovered that they copypasted English text while barely erasing the Japanese text. But that's not even the worst bit. Remember those icons on the minimap that showed some new Pokemon? Remember the little pre-Armarouge glimpse? Those aren't in the Japanese version. This ain't a marketing stunt, they genuinely just showed glimpses of 4 new Pokemon by complete accident.

Genuinely how does something like this even happen? This is such an unbelievably sloppy mess rofl what the hell

I wanna return to this because I just gotta ask: What the actual hell happened with the US/UK trailer?

In addition to the borked framerates, it was discovered that they copypasted English text while barely erasing the Japanese text. But that's not even the worst bit. Remember those icons on the minimap that showed some new Pokemon? Remember the little pre-Armarouge glimpse? Those aren't in the Japanese version. This ain't a marketing stunt, they genuinely just showed glimpses of 4 new Pokemon by complete accident.

Genuinely how does something like this even happen? This is such an unbelievably sloppy mess rofl what the hell
Saw someone point out that there's a point in the trailer where you can see english text overlaid on japanese text

To me, it feels like Japan supplied the footage to the English branch, and they just had to make do with what they had.

I'd be curious to see how Cud Chew interacts with Berries whose effects don't work "at all times" when eaten. Stat and Healing berries make some amount of sense, but what happens if it tries to eat something like a Custap Berry, or a Colbur Berry a second time? Does it simply whiff any effect on the second use (compared to Ripen cutting the SE attack in half a second time, for example)?

Realistically I expect Tail Armor (or a HA) to be the one you use most of the time, dealing with Prankster Pokemon and avoiding a couple Slow Priority users or Sucker Punch.

The thing I'm curious about is moreso the flavor, since I'd expect "Armor" to give it more defensive prowess via hit strength rather than avoiding priority effects. As far as speed, Girafarig is Base 85 Speed, which while not a speedster, is above "ignore speed investment" tier, and not a dump stat such that I could see it getting some speed out of an Evolution stat increase to make that more relevant utility.

Honestly Girafarig's stats (probably by design since it had a scrapped EVO at one point) are weird when viewed as a single stage Pokemon, which makes me think they just kind of upped its dump stats at one point to throw it out as a Single-Stage. It's at an awkward statline between some 2-stage 1st Evolutions like Gen 1 Clefairy, a few one-stage throwaways like Murkrow (as far as initial Gens before Evolutions came), and single-stage-only Mons who seem intended to be useable like Scyther, Pinsir, Heracross, Spiritomb, and to a lesser extent Magmar and Electabuzz (albeit there's some leeway for how the Special-stat Change benefitted Gen 1 mons).

I'm not holding my breath too long because the typing's not very great, but in terms of stats, I've seen worse Pokemon salvaged by a later-gen Evolution (Gliscor and Tangrowth pay daily tribute to Arceus even before Hidden Abilities) in terms of stats, especially when the ability seems to give a specific stat change it would really want to see in particular.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Updated Paldea checklist:

Color code:
- Green: this Pokemon is present in the Paldea Pokedex,
- Dark Green: this Pokemon has a new Regional Form
- Light Green: this Pokemon is likely to be present in the Paldea Pokedex.

New confirmations:
- Grimer, Muk,
- Litleo, Pyroar,
- Rookidee, Corvisquire, Corviknight,
- Toxel, Toxtricity,
- Snom, Frosmoth,

Notably, a Johtoan Wooper could also be seen in the trailer which suggests that it and Johtoan Quagsire can be obtained during normal gameplay.

Farigiraf is amazing – I really love the idea behind its design! I am also pretty happy that they are making regular evolutions again. Also, its existence greatly increases the chance that Kleavor and Ursaluna are present in the Paldea Pokedex.
There's one you missed because it's Japanese-only for some reason
1665097710300.png

Numel.....

Cud Chew feels like something that should get spread around to existing Pokemon.... but Tauros, Miltank and Bouffalant are all full on abilities. Maybe there's some new pokemon that can get it too.
A bunch of Pokemon that have Sap Sipper (whose Japanese name is just "herbivorous", iirc) seem to have it for flavor reasons because they're based on ungulates, so some of them might get Cud Chew in place of that.

A bunch of Pokemon that have Sap Sipper (whose Japanese name is just "herbivorous", iirc) seem to have it for flavor reasons because they're based on ungulates, so some of them might get Cud Chew in place of that.
I really doubt they're gonna retcon a bunch of Pokemon's abilities like that.
Like they have done it before, but the only example off the top of my head of a Pokemon doing that I can think of (that wasn't just replacing an unreleased ability) was Scolipede (Quick Feet -> Speed Boost).

Maybe if they ever introduce proper "fourth abilities"

So based on the Drifloon’s damage with Icy Wind and Grass Tera Blast, it looks like Tera Blast should be 60 BP, maybe even less.
It did more than x2 the damage to Klawf, but with STAB and being Super Effective.
So it looks like Tera Blast is going to be an underwhelming move and only see use on very niche sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)