Pokemon Merchandise thread

I definitely chose the wrong word there. I just meant they weren't goods produced by TPC, and now that I actually read the thing, you can get them at Pokemon Centers too.

These situations made me forget lifesized plush exists. It looks so simple with only paws for legs that I thought this is pillow rather than plush, but they seem to make the muzzle well.

For this to be preorder of something just at size of "regular" lifesize plush (e.g. starters) though....

Daniel Arsham (apparently a contemporary artist) is doing an exhibition with the theme "Relics of Kanto Through Time" in Tokyo at some point once the pandemic is over I guess. With that, Uniqlo has jumped in and is collaborating with him for some T shirts:

GU, on the other hand, is focusing on room wear. There are way too many to post here, but you can check them out here.

Yeah honestly those aren't great. The uhhhh "chipped crystal" aesthetic is not terribly interesting, visually. It's just a lot of stock art with completely random chunks taken out, and mewtwo lost its tail.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So some quick stuff I saw on the Japanese site:

They have these pretty cool heavy ink artwork:

It's amazing how much of an influence a one-off episode that's not even important to the plot featuring a Ditto with a defect (which is fixed at the end of it) has affected Ditto merchandise for over two decades.

Some more cool artwork (and cute Pikachu plush), this time graffiti style:

Now this is an entire series featuring various pseudo Legendaries merch, however there's three things I want to point out:

THESE ARE SO CUTE! Why don't have the other Pseudo Legendaries though?
I don't think it would have looked too odd for Garchomp, Hydreigon, and especially Kommo-o to be carrying Gible, Deino, and Jangmo-o.
For Metagross & Salamence they can have Beldum & Bagon riding on their back.
And Dragupult has two Dreepy part of its design! If they want it to be different have one sitting on the middle of its head and the second hanging onto its tail.

The Pseudo plush were, I think, not released until somewhere in the gen 7 era so Dragapult literally wouldn't be possible.

Kommo-o & Jangmo-o's designs are a much more complex design than the others, which probabyl would've affected costs, if I had to guess. And there was likely a decision to stick to the same general body type, likely meant they could reuse parts of the pattern design (like the actual overall design not literally the color pattern) & production process even across goodra/tyranitar/dragonite's differences. You'll see they're all big bottomed with small arms, using the haunches, bottom & tail to support them. Metagross, Hydreigon & Salamence would've required special patterns to work which was probably outside the scope of what they wanted to do.

Garchomp proabbly could have worked. Still a fairly simple design, humanoid, classic triangle proportions but it is still a fair bit sleeker; it would eitehr need to be obviously off model or require a vastly different pattern.

iirc those plush were also relatively large and they had to make the smaller plush for them to hold so that probably added to the costs too, likely chose the best 3 to use for the budget that line had.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The Pseudo plush were, I think, not released until somewhere in the gen 7 era so Dragapult literally wouldn't be possible.

Kommo-o & Jangmo-o's designs are a much more complex design than the others, which probabyl would've affected costs, if I had to guess. And there was likely a decision to stick to the same general body type, likely meant they could reuse parts of the pattern design (like the actual overall design not literally the color pattern) & production process even across goodra/tyranitar/dragonite's differences. You'll see they're all big bottomed with small arms, using the haunches, bottom & tail to support them. Metagross, Hydreigon & Salamence would've required special patterns to work which was probably outside the scope of what they wanted to do.

Garchomp proabbly could have worked. Still a fairly simple design, humanoid, classic triangle proportions but it is still a fair bit sleeker; it would eitehr need to be obviously off model or require a vastly different pattern.

iirc those plush were also relatively large and they had to make the smaller plush for them to hold so that probably added to the costs too, likely chose the best 3 to use for the budget that line had.
as a plush maker, each of these would've required their own unique patterns. The only parts I could see being partially reused is maybe the legs of dragonite and ttar, but the goodra is completely different from both.
I think it's more that they wanted to keep costs down and so picked the three that they thought would sell the best. They were part of a line of merch with all of the other pseudos and their first evos (minus dragapult + dreepy), and some other items were limited to only a couple pairings instead of all eight. Like I think there was a wallet that only had a gabite design?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
as a plush maker, each of these would've required their own unique patterns. The only parts I could see being partially reused is maybe the legs of dragonite and ttar, but the goodra is completely different from both.
I think it's more that they wanted to keep costs down and so picked the three that they thought would sell the best. They were part of a line of merch with all of the other pseudos and their first evos (minus dragapult + dreepy), and some other items were limited to only a couple pairings instead of all eight. Like I think there was a wallet that only had a gabite design?
Oops, forgot to post the link to the merch page. In addition to all of them appearing on merch, each getting their own keychain (both a plush & a plastic art piece), and the "with child" plush I shown, each one (except Beldum) also got an exclusive item:

Bagon got a tissue box.
Gible got a coin purse.
Dratini got a neck pillow.

Deino got a hand puppet.
Goomy got a loofah.

Larvitar got an hourglass.
Jangmo-o got a wallet.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Minor correction but the Jangmo-o one is a key case
Huh, would you believe me if I said I never heard of a key case before.

Like, now I do, and I'm kind of finding it hard to think who would take the most advantage of it. You'd need to have a lot of keys to really make the most use out of one instead of just putting your keys on a keychain. Not sure if a kid would have that many keys.

That all said, a key case does make more sense to be based on a Jangmo-o with all the jingling the keys would make probably sound like how its loose scales do.

Of course with THAT said makes me realize the reason they gave Bagon a tissue box is because its sad it can't fly; that's just cruel.

Huh, would you believe me if I said I never heard of a key case before.

Like, now I do, and I'm kind of finding it hard to think who would take the most advantage of it. You'd need to have a lot of keys to really make the most use out of one instead of just putting your keys on a keychain. Not sure if a kid would have that many keys.

That all said, a key case does make more sense to be based on a Jangmo-o with all the jingling the keys would make probably sound like how its loose scales do.

Of course with THAT said makes me realize the reason they gave Bagon a tissue box is because its sad it can't fly; that's just cruel.
I mean, most cases usually have 4-6 rings for keys. It just makes things a bit neater I suppose, though I guess maybe they're just more common this side of the world?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)