Pokemon Couples Activity

I am curious if any of you guys have tried what I am doing now. Seemed like a fun idea to get Pokemon HG and SS, one for my girlfriend and one for myself. Neither of us have played a gen 4 or 5 game and have been out of pokemon for some time. Although Ive read up some on the new generations game mechanics, Ive left a lot of other things for us to learn together. I think this is the way Pokemon was meant to be played, side by side.

Anyone else have any perspective on this, maybe advice? Especially since she hasn't been so good in the past with RPGs :nerd:

Playing side-by-side is really fun. I often replay games, but it's way more fun with my friends (not even just Pokémon games!). I don't see why this wouldn't be fun with your gf. You can share experiences, talk about the game, etc. Take different starters and try not to raise the exact same Pokémon, so that you have different things going on to talk about.

It would suck when one of you blasts ahead of the other either because of hax or skill gap.
Only an issue if that person refuses to wait for the other. When I play side-by-side, I often fall behind due to being a space cadet, insisting on talking to every NPC, doing stupid shit like soloing gyms with Sleep Powder/Leech Seed/Flash Jumpluff, etc. As long as you don't fall behind a million years so that the other person can't wait for you or have extra time to catch up by yourself, it's not really an issue!

Anyway, if you're slightly ahead because she doesn't know what she's doing, you can help her out. Or if she's stuck on a given route and you're already in the city, don't go beat the gym; wait for her and go explore or grind or something.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
just posting to say although this topic has potential, I did enjoy the deleted posts

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
as did I

and when I first clicked on this thread I was fully expecting to read stuff about Morm/Lanturn or Syberia/Lexite or something

When I was a freshman, myself and about four or five others all downloaded some roms and played gold/silver for a week or two. It was pretty rad.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Playing side-by-side is really fun. I often replay games, but it's way more fun with my friends (not even just Pokémon games!). I don't see why this wouldn't be fun with your gf. You can share experiences, talk about the game, etc. Take different starters and try not to raise the exact same Pokémon, so that you have different things going on to talk about.

Only an issue if that person refuses to wait for the other. When I play side-by-side, I often fall behind due to being a space cadet, insisting on talking to every NPC, doing stupid shit like soloing gyms with Sleep Powder/Leech Seed/Flash Jumpluff, etc. As long as you don't fall behind a million years so that the other person can't wait for you or have extra time to catch up by yourself, it's not really an issue!

Anyway, if you're slightly ahead because she doesn't know what she's doing, you can help her out. Or if she's stuck on a given route and you're already in the city, don't go beat the gym; wait for her and go explore or grind or something.
pfffthahhahha

Yeah, I thought about the progress imbalance between us. I am definitely like Jumpluff with the unnecessary challenges that make my games take forever, so it should balance out. Back in Generation 2 I did a bug monotype challenge, which was amazing. The fact that no two games will be exactly the same is one of the best things about Pokemon.

be careful about getting pokerus; always use protection
always blow on your link cable before you connect
This made me bust up :D

Not really videogame related, but have you considered the TCG? Lot of Poke couples from what ive seen play it, and you have the advantage of 2 people collecting and buying and such.

Not really videogame related, but have you considered the TCG? Lot of Poke couples from what ive seen play it, and you have the advantage of 2 people collecting and buying and such.
I second this; there are at least 3 couples at the TCG League I frequent that play together and share collections. It works great for them

not me though, I'm forever alone...

any single girls out there willing to play? ;D

Just going to say... I really doubt she'll fall that far behind unless there's just a huge gap in the amount of time you guys are spending on the game. I mean, the mechanics you need to do well in game (super effective types basically) can be picked up pretty quickly. Unless you clarify what the "not so good with RPGs means"... is that she lost interest or found them difficult? I really don't think in-game pokemon is terribly demanding since after all it's aimed at kids to a degree still.

Anyways, I hadn't played pokemon in about 4 years when my ex (we were together at the time) started getting interested in potentially playing 5th gen games. So I got White (my ex ordered Black and also had to get a DS). Mine arrived first, so I got pretty far ahead (I got slowed down later on because I like to play with NFEs), but it was still fun (though I had to be careful about spoilers).

Trading pokemon with your S.O. is always fun. Especially if you pull stuff like catching them a Luvdisc or something. Or giving the pokemon you trade them cute nicknames that mean something to you guys. I remember for last year's VGC (which I was unable to attend), I really wanted to help my ex breed, EV, raise, etc one of the pokemon on the team because then it would feel like I had helped out in some way. In general (since we didn't know about RNG at the time) I know we spent hours hanging out together with some random tv show in the bg breeding and EVing pokemon for teams.

If she really gets into things, talking about the competitive aspect of things can be a lot of fun too. My ex and I had a lot of random chats where we tossed back and forth ideas about the new play styles (rotation and triples - we also practiced these battle types casually with each other to get sort of a feel for them) and quirky team ideas (moves/abilities/pokemon we thought were cool) and then we could challenge each other's thinking about them. That's actually one of the things I miss about that relationship; so I can first-hand attest to the fact that playing pokemon together can add something to the relationship (though we were both fans to begin with admittedly).

And just in general I think it's always cool to hear different people's takes on the game... people get a lot of different stuff out of it. For example, in certain games there are the contests you can focus on in addition to the gyms. How much you read into the plot also seems to vary (I found the plotline for gen 5 fascinating since the issue the "bad guys" brought up was something I had thought about myself before).

So my advice to summarize I guess would be go for it! And don't worry too much about her RPG inexperience since pokemon is pretty forgiving that way I think. Unless the issue is that she doesn't like RPGs and that's what you meant by "she hasn't been good". That's a seperate issue. But pokemon can be pretty endearing so it's worth a shot.

Wow. That was way longer than anticipated.

Thanks for your perspective, it sounds very similar to what we are doing. I love those sorts of discussions where you really let your imagination run wild, which ties back into what I said about the possibilities is what makes Pokemon great. From what I'm learning about the newer gens, there are endless minigames and stuff to do and play with, its more a matter of what you want to make of it.

As far as her RPG experience, to elaborate a bit, she didn't grow up with videogames and its something Ive introduced to her over the 3 years we've been together. She reminds me of myself when I was a kid, its so new she gets really excited about it, but that lack of experience gives her a big learning curve and she sometimes gets frustrated. We tried a couple of Final Fantasy games and although she liked the games, in depth strategy never really got there.

I completely agree with you guys about Pokemon being forgiving. It can be hard or easy depending on what you do, but if you don't deviate from the traditional stuff it is usually pretty easy. Also I got us the book.

pfffthahhahha
lol oops

She reminds me of myself when I was a kid, its so new and exciting and she gets really excited about it, but that lack of experience gives her a big learning curve and she sometimes gets frustrated. We tried a couple of Final Fantasy games and although she liked the games, in depth strategy never really got there.
Pokémon is pretty gentle, I wouldn't worry about it. Her team might not be perfect or remotely competitively viable, but you can honestly get through the game with anything. It is, ultimately, designed to be beatable by small children. She might need to train a little or get advice from you (as mentioned before, type mechanics are about all the strategy you need, status can help but that's about it), but hey, anything that gets you guys talking about the game is a good thing!

Actually, it's kinda cool that you got HGSS... visions of OP and gf on dates with their Pokéwalkers. (Maybe a bit much?!)

Oh, by the way, please let us how it goes! :O

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I can't say i've ever done this with any of my girlfriends (they all hated Pokemon; no dice...) but I almost always do this with my younger brother (he's a year younger, so he's basically the same age as me) and its a ton of fun. We've been doing this since GSC, and even now in BW we're continuing this tradition.

I can still remember my side-by-side playthrough of diamond and pearl with my brother. Those were some of the best days in my life, since we'd constantly re-battle, trade and do a bunch of other stuff on a daily basis.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's all sorts of mail you can attach to your Pokemon and write awkward love notes. One of the many benefits of playing a game alongside someone is the ability to make important trades. I don't mean just "baby I need a Reuniclus" but trade evolutions like Conkeldurr, Gigalith, and Accelgor/Escavalier, all good in-game Pokemon. Make sure you have a mutual friend who will trade one of you an egg for the starter that you two don't obtain.

Funny you should mention Pokewalkers, Jumpluff, because the first Pokemon games my girlfriend and I purchased simultaneously were HGSS, and we would take our Pokewalkers on runs. There was no Pokecheck, XD Mt. Battle was tedious, and Wi-Fi was too much work, so what better way to get a Salac Berry than to exercise?

Luffy, what you did sounds like a good time. One of the most interesting things about these games is how Pokemon and teams develop over time and to compare teams each step along the way is one thing I hope for.

BTW, One Piece is great. Love your quote, lol.

Speaking of the Pokewalkers, I wanted to get those too since we do walk/run sometimes. Are those worth getting?

And I'll definitely keep you guys posted. We're starting this experiment up on Friday night.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
She reminds me of myself when I was a kid, its so new she gets really excited about it, but that lack of experience gives her a big learning curve and she sometimes gets frustrated.
this is a children's game and stuff
you know
for children, little minds and little hands and all that jazz

I've never played it with someone, I've always played the games by myself.

You know you're lonely when you want to evolve your Kadabra and you have to it yourself. I'm sad now. ;_;

So how's it going with the experiment? My wife and I used to play Gold/Silver and Stadium together, but I beat her too many times in a row she gave up and hasn't played since :-p i just can't lose on purpose haha. so yeah, be nice to her or she may never play pokemon again. sad day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)