Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking more defensive options would be good. We don't want to make stall overpowering, but it would be nice to see more ways to do it. Perhaps add Pokemon with abilities like Walrein has but for the other weather conditions.

Or, an idea for an item, the "Elemental Shield". Basically, after being hit by an attack, it grants a resistance, or maybe even an immunity, to attacks of the same type. It would act as a serious threat to Choiced Pokemon, especially Scarfers that don't get the sheer power to OHKO so many things. The immunity version in particular would essentially force a Choiced Pokemon that attacked it to switch out. It would be a big item choice on stall teams, by helping them force switches. On the other hand, it could also benefit offensive Pokemon too, especially those with few or one weakness. In Ubers, Elemental Shield Palkia would be left with no weaknesses after taking a dragon attack (though any subsequent non-dragon attack makes it dragon weak again).

I am thinking more defensive options would be good. We don't want to make stall overpowering, but it would be nice to see more ways to do it. Perhaps add Pokemon with abilities like Walrein has but for the other weather conditions.

Or, an idea for an item, the "Elemental Shield". Basically, after being hit by an attack, it grants a resistance, or maybe even an immunity, to attacks of the same type. It would act as a serious threat to Choiced Pokemon, especially Scarfers that don't get the sheer power to OHKO so many things. The immunity version in particular would essentially force a Choiced Pokemon that attacked it to switch out. It would be a big item choice on stall teams, by helping them force switches. On the other hand, it could also benefit offensive Pokemon too, especially those with few or one weakness. In Ubers, Elemental Shield Palkia would be left with no weaknesses after taking a dragon attack (though any subsequent non-dragon attack makes it dragon weak again).
Much like Kecleons ability (most types resist themselves)??
I think it would totally SUCK! It's killing for set up sweepers with just 1 attack, or SubRoostToxic Zapdos.
I wouldn't like more Walreins either, since it would make Tyrani/Hippos get overpowered with just 3 stallpokemon to help (Walrein can kill 2 with only Protect and Substitute).

I did however, think of a Speed Life Orb, which could be interesting.

Elemental Shield would indeed pose a serious problem for mono-attackers. But then, how common are they anyway? And any Pokemon that does commonly run a mono-attacking set has many other sets it could use.
Also don't forget the first hit still gets full power. If that first hit is a OHKO, it's not a problem. The resistance version doesn't stop you cold either - if you're boosting up you may be able to bust through anyway.
Besides, Crocune and that Zapdos still manage fine currently despite the presence of Water Absorbers and the myriad Electric immunities. Though admittedly you won't see six such Pokemon on a team. Then again, Game Freak's rules usually include item clause, so in their metagame you won't see 6 Elemental Shielders either.

And IMO, stall teams having almost nothing worth carrying besides boring old Leftovers Leftovers Leftovers sucks.

The new weather stallers really shouldn't get Protect+Sub. That combination is too powerful. Without those two moves though, I think bulky Pokemon with abilities to recover in sand, sun, and rain would be reasonable.

Choicers already have it is bad as it is, really, I don't see any reason to introduce such an item (we already have Arceus who does something similar, along with Kecleon, and Protect works just fine anyways). The drawback to Choicers is you can't switch moves, that is enough of a burden when there is an immunity for pretty much every good type (bar dragon).

I'd like to see how a steel type recovery move would fair. Thinks like Steelix, Registeel, Metagross, Jirachi (w/out Wish), Empoleon, Bronzong, and even Magnezone/Heatran would receive welcomed boosts. Unless they introduce a new type that resists dragon, I think that would be a great way to balance the type (not that Gamefreak cares about balance, lol).

Weakening the strongest offensive (dragon) by buffing the already strongest defensive type (steel) doesn't seem like the best way to promote overall balance mind.

I was on serebii earlier today and decided to give my theory of it being a Kitsune a push to see what kind of discussion I could get out of it, and one member posted some gold:

I researched Kitsune mythology for a book I am writing. I read somewhere that the tails were an indication of how aged (and therefore powerful) the Kitsune are. This is why Vulpix is depicted with six tails, and Ninetails depicted with nine. The numbers 1, 5, 7 and 9 are most common tail numbers. I also read that not all Kitsune physically show their tails. They may appear as normal foxes - with one tail in physical form.

It should be noted that they are known are Yokai (I think that is how it is spelt...) which are types of spirits in Japan. Phantom Ruler Z. Yeah.

Erm what else... Of course yes, they can shapeshift, but are only said to be able to acquire this power once they achieve a certain age (one thousand years or so).

The creators of this Pokémon could be taking a more stylistic choice with this Pokémon if it is a Kitsune, rather than the obvious depiction Ninetales had. Either way, I don't think it is related to Ninetales.

Also, adding to my previous post... Just found an interesting site:
http://listverse.com/2009/10/26/10-mythological-creatures-and-shapeshifters/
Scroll down to the Kitsune entry.
Mentions fire, lighting, a fear of dogs (Entei, Suicune, Raikou?) and the ability to bend time and space (Celebi?) clone the appearance of an individual (Evil Ash?) and create illusions (somewhere it's mentioned that the film title is something to do with Illusions, right?)

It seems there really are some strong hints towards a Kitsune type of pokemon, doesn't it? Well I'm not particularily against the idea, nor am I really for it. I'm one of those people that like to wait and see. Interesting observations nontheless.

We already have two kitsune Pokemon, Vulpix and Ninetales, so it wouldn't make sense for this new Pokemon to be a kitsune without it being a Ninetales evolution or Vulpix branched evolution (ala Slowbro/king). It could even be a were-Ninetales with tails for hair, for all we know. Not likely, though.

As for people wanting "pure Flying," you guys realize that Gamefreak doesn't consider Flying to be a stand-alone type, right? Originally, before Levitate came around, Flying was just a way to classify that the Pokemon flies. So it's more like "This is a Normal Pokemon, and it flies," or "This is a Fire Pokemon, and it flies." Similarly, Flying attacks come from the sky or are "piercing" attacks like the wind, or an airborne, piercing peck.

I think the only way something could be pure Flying is if it's a force of nature that never stops flying, ever, and is made of whatever abstract concept embodies "Flying" or flight itself; a tornado or is the only thing I think that could portray that concept without having to be given another type. Or, the wind itself in Pokemon form. A Flying Eevee would likely still be Normal/Flying, because it would still have a physical body like the rest of the Eevee family. It wouldn't make sense for a mammal to transcend physical form and become an intangible force.

Then again, it doesn't make sense that Kangaskhan is born with another little baby in its pouch, like it gave birth inside its egg and then came out a fully grown mother with an infant. That's a pretty big egg.

We already have two kitsune Pokemon, Vulpix and Ninetales, so it wouldn't make sense for this new Pokemon to be a kitsune without it being a Ninetales evolution or Vulpix branched evolution (ala Slowbro/king). It could even be a were-Ninetales with tails for hair, for all we know. Not likely, though.
Blastoise, Torkoal, Torterra
Pikachu, Marill, Plusle, Minun, Rattata
Butterfree, Beautifly, Mothim, Venomoth, Dustox
Ekans, Seviper, Onix
Meowth, Skitty, Glameow, etc.

Hrm, well all of this talk about new types and special Pokemon is rather exciting but I'm more concerned with something else; the location.

Come on we could all use a decent change of pace and we all know it, the limited nature of Coll. and XD didn't quite due to the "darker" Pokemon feel justice. Though the DS is a powerhouse in terms of the capacity it can hold in the hand held realm it has yet to really take off with the Pokemon games. So what can we do about such? Well perhaps give us a bigger world first off and actually change the basic formula of how they build the world. Instead of starting out in a single one horse town, why not give us options? Perhaps these options could even reflect what we pick as a Starter and those little basic options of how you want to go about playing, think Starter Stat Quiz. Regardless I am more interested in how it works out after that fact. Perhaps we can finally recieve that darker feel, with the way the movies have been going later they seemed to of raised their age limit just ever so slightly, it takes at least a younger teen in order to properly enjoy the movies anymore, other then big boom good guys win. So mayhaps the games are going to reflect such and that would effectively change the settings. The Water world seems to reflect a bubbly nature and happy go lucky attitude, with the Sinnoh region they had slightly more land and a darker then normal storyline, though it was the same Copy/Pasta essentially. So it is a possibility that they will continue such in the 5th Gen and we'll get a totally landlocked area. Perhaps even... Underground? Yes I know that is the ultimate stretch but it seems possible. Besides the fact it would give us new options for moves and maybe even expand the small pools of Fire/Dark/Ghost/Ice types and effective Rock and Ground types. Who says we need a world of light in order to have a good game? /shrugs Well either way can't wait until the 15/16th that should really start a surge in the game again.

Kitsune isn't some legendary creature. It's just the Japanese word for fox. There's a lot of lore based around them, but there's just as much or more lore for wolves, snakes, and turtles.

Maybe this has been posted, but anyways...

I was thinking that a great secondary typing for grass would be steel, sure said pokemon would have 4x weakness to fire, but it will lose grass' other weaknesses: ice, bug, flying and be inmune to poison, from the steel point of view it will lose that nasty ground weakness.

It will obviously be bad offensively, but defensively it will have some nice resistances: water and electric (in comparision to other steels). Being neutral to ice means it will possibly be a good counter to water pokes like starmie, stand against tyranitar, jolteon and resist all attacks fron non-hp fire latias, of course assuming good defensive stats. Additionaly you cant toxic it. It would be an excelent partner to gyara (tough that rotom-h will be annoying), zappy and mence. Any thoughts?

It will have to be near Scizor levels of usefullness to make up for the 4x weak to fire, it's still weak to Fighting, mind. I was thinking about typings earlier. Breloom has such a great typing, he resists Rock, Ground, Dark, Water, Electric, and Grass. That's six resistances, four of them to top-tier types. But, he's weak to Fire and Ice. The most important types because of the dominance of Steels and Dragons.

I've been sort of wondering. what would happen if they made a Skill Swap type move, but for your typing? think Shedinja becoming Dark/Ghost and other things along those lines. would it actualy be used? or would it be thrown down the tube like skill swap itself?

I've been sort of wondering. what would happen if they made a Skill Swap type move, but for your typing? think Shedinja becoming Dark/Ghost and other things along those lines. would it actualy be used? or would it be thrown down the tube like skill swap itself?
Other than the gimick of switching Dark/Ghost to Shedinja, which might not work since Skill Swap doesn't work on him, what other situations would you want to switch a type to a different pokemon?

It's actually a neat idea because you can dampen damage from opposing STAB. I'm not sure it would be worth a moveslot, though.

So any guesses on how the new starters will look like? Im really hoping they dont use a turtle again >_<

I was picturing a cat as a fire starter, which eventually becomes a huge fire lion!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nintendo of America will be holding their media summit on February 24th. I doubt they will mention this game as they're still focused on the HeartGold and SoulSilver launch, but it's something you can keep your eye on.

So any guesses on how the new starters will look like? Im really hoping they dont use a turtle again >_<

I was picturing a cat as a fire starter, which eventually becomes a huge fire lion!
I'm thinking there might be a crab/lobster water starter, since it has to be able to walk on land and they're running out of things that can be water and have legs. Granted there are others (like an octopus/squid) but I think a crab starter is the most likely.

The cat to lion starter isn't a bad idea but what would it's secondary type be?

I'm thinking there might be a crab/lobster water starter, since it has to be able to walk on land and they're running out of things that can be water and have legs.
Coconut Crab as a starter Pokemon. Wouldn't be totally far-fetched. A Cat like creature as a starter would be awesome, though I hope they don't screw it over with a lame movepool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)