Pokémon You Were Even More Hyped For Than Usual

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
The title of this thread may sound a bit vague at first, and I don't want to accidentally break any thread posting rules, so before we begin, I'd like to elaborate on just what I mean by "Pokémon You Were Even More Hyped For Than Usual". Pretty much what this boils down to is how, similar to how we all have our favorite (and least favorites) Pokémon from the various types, various regions, whatever it is, sometimes what our Pokémon preferences are dependent on are those more specific factors.

The idea that we can all like different things about specific groups of Pokémon is something I love to see, and leads to probably my favorite part of a new generation of Pokémon whenever one gets released. It's not necessarily the fact that a lot of the newer Pokémon that pique my nostalgia-blinded interests (although to be fair, this statement depends on how far back you're still calling "new"; for me I usually consider new to be the two most recent generations), so much as there's few things that give me the level of happiness of seeing someone's hypothetical dream Pokémon become a reality. Let's say you, a randomly selected Pokémon fan, were given the chance to take a survey about what kinds of things you enjoy and how that could be turned into a Pokémon for a future game. I haven't had the chance to witness many people's reactions to reveals myself, as I tend to stick to the official Pokémon YouTube channel(s) for my trailer-based news. But i would imagine that there have been some fans over the years that have been made really happy by something they wanted to see as a Pokémon finally coming to the games after countless years of waiting.

I'm essentially making this thread to differentiate from the usual "favorite Pokémon of each Type" or "favorite Pokémon from each region" style threads. Don't get me wrong. I love those kinds of threads as much as the next guy, but there's only so much those topics can do as far as being unique is concerned. Taking a closer look at past memories relative to personal interests opens up a ton of possible avenues of conversation, as I see it. For example, remember when I said earlier this post that I don't usually watch other people's reactions? Well, that's still true, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't had some memorable reactions myself. Case in point... my go-to example for this sort of topic, the newly introduced Finizen and Palafin.

:sv/finizen: :sv/palafin:

Being the summer-loving guy that already lists Water as one of his favorite types (albeit not to the extent of my top three, those being Poison, Psychic, and Fire), I pretty quickly found myself among the group of fans that was constantly wondering why we never had a dolphin-based Pokémon for the longest time. Dolphins were never my top favorite animal in the world (my sister being a Jacksonville Jaguars fan as opposed to Miami doesn't help matters either), but they're still far from my least favorite animals, and I also found all of the trivia about the Nintendo GameCube of all things to be pretty fascinating. In any case, while it was disappointing, I was willing to put up with people's fan art of fanmade dolphin Pokémon, having become content with the idea we'd probably never get an actual dolphin-based Pokémon for real.

That is... until one of my closest friends told me there was one coming in Scarlet & Violet from unconfirmed leaks at the time. I had the nerve to laugh at first. Why, of all games, would the one based on the Iberian Peninsula of all places, be the one to finally give us the dolphin Pokémon we've always wanted? During 2022, I started development on my Pokémon and Super Mario crossover, meaning that Super Mario Sunshine was a game still fresh in my mind, as was its setting of Isle Delfino. My friend knew better than anyone just how much of an opportunity this timing meant for me, and while I decided to take their word on these leaks for now, I kept telling myself in my head: "I just have to see this for myself". And sure enough, when Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet came out, there they were.

Let's just say that while I haven't played in Paldea very much at all (college and homework don't make it easy to want to play consistently), the two of us playing together one day only for them to suddenly get really excited seemingly for my sake that some had appeared... let's just say that's a memory I don't think I'll forget anytime soon.

Edit: The extremely appropriately nicknamed "Delfino" the Finizen is on my Pokémon Violet team right now, as you'd probably expect, hilariously being on the same team as a Rock Mushroom and a grass cat starter Pokémon. Without even realizing it, I had made half of my team for this 2022 Pokémon references to my crossover. Nice.

Last edited:
Gogoat! For some reason when it revealed pre-XY I named myself in a server after it and that would later be the nicknamed I used ingame. I'm so happy to see it return in SV, and even in XY I was so happy when I used a Skiddo (so cute) and then the cool Gogoat.

Also my XY team had 3 grass types and a bug type on it, so my Gogoat actually did a lot too (including sharing losing to Flying and Fire types!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)