Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's not a guess. They've told us. MegaMawile gets increased Def and SpD, MegaBlaziken and MegaLucario have raised Atk and MegaAbsol has raised Atk and Spe.
We just don't know the exactly what the boosts will be numerically. GF can be strange but it would be REALLY strange to have the hyped MegaPokemon mechanic be outclassed by equipping a Life Orb.
There is the distinct possibility that the stat boosts resulting from MegaEvolution could involve the doubling of selected stats depending on the Pokemon specie.
I was referring to Griseous Orb's boost to Dragon- and Ghost-type attacks, not a numerical change to the Pokémon's base stats. The latter is confirmed, the former is not.

What if it changes the base stat? They did say originally that megamewtwo was a new pokemon, so wouldn't it make sense if the base stats were different instead of standerd stat boosts, so you wouldn't be able to baton pass it?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mega evolutions do change base stats. Mawile will have higher Defense and Special Defense stats, Absol will have higher Attack and Speed stats. There has never been any mention of Mega Evolution providing stage boosts like Howl (i.e. +1 Attack).

Mega evolutions do change base stats. Mawile will have higher Defense and Special Defense stats, Absol will have higher Attack and Speed stats. There has never been any mention of Mega Evolution providing stage boosts like Howl (i.e. +1 Attack).
To be fair though, it's never been directly stated that it is the base stat that increases either. It could easily be either one, base stat being the logical assumption of the two.

I've been wondering over the last few days whether or not MEvos have their own separate stat spreads, or come with effective stats because of stat boosts. The reason I'm curious is because they had to go and make a special Mega Stone for every pokemon with a MEvo. At the time of the leak, I thought that Mega Stones would work like Gracidea flowers, in that applying it to your Pokémon would allow them to form change on a special command in battle. after being proven wrong, I've started to speculate that having a special stone for each particular species could mean one of two things:

A) MEvos have their own stat spreads seperate from their original forms. They only wanted to make Mega stones exclusive so you wouldn't be readily able to use one on the first Pokémon you own that can MEvo, and making specialized stones helps identify which Pokémon can MEvo so you don't spend too much time into trying to identify which Pokémon can and can't MEvo

B) Each individual Mega Stone is coded to apply certain stat boosts to the wielder when held by the species that's supposed to hold that particular stone
Yeah, if it works that way there would be quite a difference between SpeedBoost Blaziken and SpeedBoost Blaziken with huge boosts to Atk and SpA in a single turn.
Sure, you won't be able to stack it with LO or CB but the MegaStone would give you way beyond what LO or CB alone could deliver.
I hope there aren't too many drawbacks (like the MegaMoveset being predetermined! :p )
I don't see Mega movesets being preset. That denotes that MEvos of Pokémon are like interchangeable forms of Pokémon who can form change outside of battle with varying movelists, like Deoxys and Kyurem, which would mean that a Pokémon who levels up while MEvo'd would learn different moves than when it's in its normal form.
MEvo's seem to be a more convenient version of Meloetta's Relic Song, because it doesn't eat up a moveslot and (ideally) increases stats instead of reorganizing base stat levels to match the normal form's BST. It's a form change that happens in-battle, so that implies that there's no way of a MEvo'd Pokémon having the time to adapt and gain an edited moveset from its normal form, like how Meloetta never naturally being in her Pirouette form wouldn't have the time to adapt and create a second movelist to learn as she levels up, unlike deoxys or Kyurem, whom you can actively train in any of their available forms, and learn new moves based on their state of being because their form changes CAN be permanent.

To summarize, DON'T JINX IT

Last edited:
Reactions: PME
even with a mega evo he will still take sr damage if its not straight away and besides i dont think 6-12 yr olds even know what a charizard is they would be more familiar with emboar and Infernape and venusaur should get a mega evo more than charizard he needs more love and charizard is overrated
I love you so much. We agree with the same thing. We're done here.

Although idk most kids I know think Charizard is the greatest thing on the planet and is super good but maybe I'm hanging around with Jeffrey the different kinds of Pokemon kids than most.

Last edited:
Charizard, even with its great Stats, is lurking in NU thanks only to SR.

''Hello, my name is Moltres and i am one of the best pokemon in RU.''

''Sup, name's Yanmega and i am good at UU.''

''Hi everyone, you can call me Volcarona and i kick ass in OU!''

(And no. He doesnt have great stats. His speed is nice, but his offenses are just alright for gen five's standards...he is good in NU though)

Usually when a boost is provided, the item description mentions it. The two we've seen don't

I mean sure, still possible, but I doubt the stones do more than transform them to Mega

The guys from Pokejungle were going to go on Sunday to cover the demo. Nothing has been reported from anyone else (and I mean ANYONE)

If it form changes DURING battle expect it too the first time until after it has it's form stuck.

Your whole weather idea seems pretty good actually but remember hazards are the pillars for a balanced metagame. Without hazards just imagine how many Pokemon would be broken. They keep metas as balanced as possible so I would not like them nerfed no sir.
Well, weather should only last as long as the ability is on the field, and then start the normal 5-turn countdown

To be honest (not counting crits) a stat raise would kinda be better then stat increase if you HAVE to hold the item, unless the stat boost is ofcourse more then the halve of the original but i doubt the boost will be that much.

Do we have any word on the demo that was supposed to be happening this weekend?
The demo will be focusing on Mega Evolutions, that's all we know

Hopefully it's not just a series of battles and they have an actual route sectioned off like in the HGSS & BW1 demos

Well, weather should only last as long as the ability is on the field, and then start the normal 5-turn countdown
When I said them I meant hazards not both hazards and weather. So I actually agree with the quoted statement.
The demo will be focusing on Mega Evolutions, that's all we know
They're showing mega evolutions so early in the demo? Why would mega stones be only obtainable after post game then? This means that there will almost certainly be more than a just hold the stone and be broken thing. I feel like it will have to do with stats but that's just me. I mean, what if you have to raise your Mawile to have some Def and Sp.D EV's? Or Blaziken Attack and Speed? With the whole introduction to Super Training it seems plausible.

When I said them I meant hazards not both hazards and weather. So I actually agree with the quoted statement.

They're showing mega evolutions so early in the demo? Why would mega stones be only obtainable after post game then? This means that there will almost certainly be more than a just hold the stone and be broken thing. I feel like it will have to do with stats but that's just me. I mean, what if you have to raise your Mawile to have some Def and Sp.D EV's? Or Blaziken Attack and Speed? With the whole introduction to Super Training it seems plausible.
Demos are altered from what's available at that point in the game.
The BW1 demo had Pokemon & Battles that otherwise never show up on the Dragonspiral Tower (outside) route, for instance, and even the Pokemon Smash "demo" had a team already prepared

That said I don't think it's ever been implied that the Mega Evolutions are post-game??

Demos are altered from what's available at that point in the game.
The BW1 demo had Pokemon & Battles that otherwise never show up on the Dragonspiral Tower (outside) route, for instance, and even the Pokemon Smash "demo" had a team already prepared

That said I don't think it's ever been implied that the Mega Evolutions are post-game??
I was more about emphasis, I mean I'm certain you'll obtain at least one mega stone before postgame. (Maybe Yveltal and Xerneas will be that one but maybe I'm leaping a shark)

Also I know you never implied but a few pages ago there was a discussion about that so I wanted to put that to rest.

I'm probably reaching here, but they said that Mawile's defense stats increase sharply, right? Well...

... What if the base stat doubles?

Unlikely, but holy shit, would that make Mawile a tank

@DarkEspeon

I noticed that too. Sharply usually means a doubling. It could be the base stat or the stat (like Huge Power).
Mawile would be quite an offensive tank with such a stat distribution.

As for the whole question of whether MegaStones provide a boost, I didn't realize there was a distinction being made between the boost from MegaEvolution and some other boost from the stones. The way I saw it was that the stones allow Pokemon to transform to MegaPokemon which have higher stats so there's your boost. But I understand the other perspective now. Anyway, Life Orb gives Blaziken an effective max attack stat of 483 but can't be held if a MegaStone is equipped. So they'd better make the stat increases from MegaEvolution competitive with (or superior to) the alternatives or else...hmph...you hear me GF? lol

It's almost as if everytime GF reveals something they create more questions than answers.
Have they ever provided solid details that don't leave us wondering about many things?
I don't think so.

Any ideas for how mega scizor would function? Without a choice band, it's certainly not going to be playing anything like the regular scizor we know today. Perhaps it will be something more akin to the swords dance set, or maybe even sweeping through with its own new mega speed stat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
I'd like to invite everyone to join the XY Giveaway Contest. Tomorrow is the last day of sign-ups!

The competition isn't too demanding. There will be one challenge a week for five weeks and each of the challenges can be completed in less than two hours.

Signing up and completing next week's challenge enters you into a raffle to win a $20 eShop gift card. Further details can be found here.

I'm hoping we get at least 40 people to sign up. :]

I'd like to invite everyone to join the XY Giveaway Contest. Tomorrow is the last day of sign-ups!

The competition isn't too demanding. There will be one challenge a week for five weeks and each of the challenges can be completed in less than two hours.

Signing up and completing next week's challenge enters you into a raffle to win a $20 eShop gift card. Further details can be found here.

I'm hoping we get at least 40 people to sign up. :]
Less then 2 hours? I was hoping for some speed runs, and the only game within that time is Red and Blue (I haven't tried looking up speedrun times for DS/GBA games though).

And can't wait till sunday/late saturday, that should be when we get at least some info on Mega's. Possible to see if all stats increase or just some and possibly/probably transformation requirements.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Less then 2 hours? I was hoping for some speed runs, and the only game within that time is Red and Blue (I haven't tried looking up speedrun times for DS/GBA games though).

And can't wait till sunday/late saturday, that should be when we get at least some info on Mega's. Possible to see if all stats increase or just some and possibly transformation requirements.
There will be speed runs, but they will be more like "races" to a certain point in the game.

Live updates from the pokemon game show

http://pokejungle.net/2013/08/16/pokemon-game-show-saturday-live-updates/

News revealed at the time of this post
  • The Completion Strategy guide will be 262 pages long
  • The Story Guide coming out in November will be 600 pages long
  • The Kalos Pokédex Guide coming out in December is 800 pages long
  • Fire resists Fairy. Fairy takes normal damage from fire.
  • You can opt to Mega-Evolve when you choose a move. You can use the move you chose after you Mega Evolve too.
  • Fairy Type confirmed in the TCG
  • Brand new anime Pokémon Origins featuring characters Red and Blue (Green in Japanese) will air every Wednesday from October!
Picture of mega evolution button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)