Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

Here's a small list of problems with transferring a Pokemon from Gen I to Gen VI:

1. It'll need to get a gender.
2. Need to get an Ability.
3. Need to get a Nature.
4. Figure out how it'll Special stat will split. (since in Gen I the Special Attack and Special Defense stat both came off one stat called "Special". Now in Gen II they did it by basing both SpA and SpD off the Special IVs and that Pokemon's BST. Though IVs have changed since then as I'll explain below so doing that ain't possible)
5. IVs would just to a nightmare to figure out how'll those translate. (In Gen I & II the IVs were 4 bytes long for each of the five stats ranging each stat's value from 0 to 15. Gen III completely redid the system which is used now, each of the six stats are five bytes long now giving a value range of 0 to 31).
6. EVs have a similar problem (basically in Gen I & II there was really no "limit" to how high EVs can go, the game stopping at 65355 for each of the five stats. Gen III made the change of 510 EVs total and an individual stat's max of 255 (252 in Gen VI but that's more for efficiency sake as nothing changes). I suppose they could reset it back to 0 though).

And I'm sure there's other stuff I'm missing. Simply put, the data structure of what made a Pokemon has radically changed too much. If they want to "transfer" a Pokemon from the Gen I to Gen VI the easiest way would be to do a Pokemon Dream World thing, "upload" the information of the Gen I Pokemon to the Pokemon Bank and then have the bank recreate a Pokemon from scratch just using the nickname and Moves of the Gen I Pokemon. Whether it'll be any good or not who knows (or if they may want to do something special with it like giving it its Hidden Ability), but if you just want it for memory sake that's an option.
So how did they resolve this in the end?

Since every proof I've seen has related to Yellow; I can confirm that the exact same steps work on Pokémon Blue (just in case you were worried they fixed the glitch on that and not Yellow fsr). I also managed to pull off the growl 6 times thing without trouble; the Mew appeared at Level 1.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So how did they resolve this in the end?
Well, this sounds like it's going to be a transfer so I'm going to assume they'll pretty much create a new Pokemon based on the one sent to the Pokemon Bank. If I were to structure it (well, honestly I would give the player a lot of choice, but if I were to do the bare minimum):

1. It'll have the same name.
2. It'll have the same moves.
3. Do what they did in Gen II for the Special Stat and deciding gender (that way if they release the Gen II games with connectivity to Pokemon Bank they could follow these steps except skip this one)
4. Afterwards they could just proportionate the differences between the two IV values and round it. So say a Gen I (or II) Pokemon had a stat spread of 12/15/9/4/7/11. Add one to each value and then divide each by 16 (remember, 0 counts as a value) and you'll get 0.8125/1/0.625/0.3125/0.5/0.75. Now multiply those numbers by 32 and than subtract 1 from their value and you should get their "correct" IVs from Gen III onwards: 25/31/19/9/15/23. Now this might make certain value to get impossible to get (like I don't think you can get a 16), but hey at least this way you can get a mon with a max 31 and in the end I think we can all agree that's the important thing here.
5. Set EVs to zero (there's Super Training and Vitamins. IVs were the only big problem honesty).
6. Then once all that's done Ability and Nature could be randomly generated.

Look, you're not going to get a great Pokemon unless you're SUPER lucky. Though that's honestly not the main point of transferring up a Gen I Pokemon, you're transferring it up because you went through an adventure together and want to keep it with you as you go through the generations.

As I said, if it was me I would let the player have some input on the creation like letting them choose the Ability (of the normal Abilities, though maybe I would give them a chance for it to be the Hidden if they allowed it to be random) and Nature. I'd also maybe apply a Legendary mechanic on them and say that their three highest stats that aren't at 31 will be automatically raised to 31 just to give them a chance in the new meta filled with bred Pokemon. But that's what I would do, who knows what GF has planned.

Missingno Idea:
Hey guys, I just got this crazy idea! You know how how everyone's joking about sending a Missingno to Pokemon Bank? Well what if GF knew that was going to happen so to flip the joke around on us create an actual "Glitch Pokemon" for Gen VII and have Missingno. transform into it when sent to the Pokemon Bank? It won't be the only way to get it, but it would be the easiest way to. ;)

What Pokemon-specific moves can only be attained in RBY that aren't on newer gens?
I haven't noticed any important level-up moves, and most good TMs were move tutors later anyway. There's obviously Fissure Machamp. Then there is Whirlwind for elemental birds. Bubblebeam has marginally higher base power than Water Pulse, maybe stuff like Raticate and Persian can use it in lower tiers to beat rocks? Finally there's Submission over Brick Break for a bunch of mons if you're really dying for that extra 5 power and don't mind recoil and %80 acc. That's all of note I think, not much.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any important level-up moves, and most good TMs were move tutors later anyway. There's obviously Fissure Machamp. Then there is Whirlwind for elemental birds. Bubblebeam has marginally higher base power than Water Pulse, maybe stuff like Raticate and Persian can use it in lower tiers to beat rocks? Finally there's Submission over Brick Break for a bunch of mons if you're really dying for that extra 5 power and don't mind recoil and %80 acc. That's all of note I think, not much.
Actually, weirdly enough... for some reason, despite being a TM in many gens beyond 1, a lot of Pokémon could learn Reflect by TM in Gen 1 but not in future gens. Some of the more notable ones include Vaporeon and Cloyster; I've got a full list on the moves pokemon lost thread.

To everyone who's going through the games right now that wants to exploit as many glitches as possible: Check out MissingnoXpert on YouTube. The guy is pretty good at explaining glitches step by step and he covers pretty much every possible glitch out there.

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Zapdos at least already has Roar, so Whirlwind isn't really notable.

The reason why Level 1 Pokemon aren't supposed to be in these games is because of a programming thing. Basically if you do any variation of the Trainer Escape glitch, use growl on the Pokemon that you want its special stat (in this case Shellder in Misty's gym, Slowpoke, etc) 6 times and then when you encounter Mew or whatever it should be a level 1. Have it gain any EXP and you have a level 100 pokemon. Really complicated to explain.
Not true. You cannot have it gain any EXP, it has to be less that 55. Reason is, the Pokemon has a humongous amount of EXP, but in reality it has -55. When it gains more than 55 EXP the number becomes positive again, making it level 2 instead of level 100. When it gains less than 55 EXP the number stays negative (which in the game is that huge amount) making it level 100 instantly.

is there any way to get all of the starters in any of the versions other than yellow?

also, how does "stat exp" work? i know that in gen 1, you could max out all of a pokemon stats, but how would you go about maxing out all of a pokemons stats?

is it the same as fighting pokemon and gaining certain evs from specific mons just like the following generations?

U won't be able to get champ with fissure on poke bank
You really need to elaborate on this.

is there any way to get all of the starters in any of the versions other than yellow?

also, how does "stat exp" work? i know that in gen 1, you could max out all of a pokemon stats, but how would you go about maxing out all of a pokemons stats?

is it the same as fighting pokemon and gaining certain evs from specific mons just like the following generations?
Each of the five stats in Generation I (HP, Atk, Def, Special, Speed) have Stat Exp, ranging from 0 to a maximum of 65535. Everytime a Pokémon defeats another Pokémon, your respective Stat Exp goes up by the amount of the opposing Pokémon's Base Stat. So beating a Mew, for instance, is worth 100 in each stat while beating a Pikachu is worth 35 HP, 55 Atk, 30 Def, 50 Special, and 90 Speed. Vitamins work in a similar way. Each boost their respective stat by 2560 but cannot raise it above 25600. Unlike EVs, each stat can reach its maximum, regardless of the other stats.
Similar to the EV system in Generations III and IV, Stat Exp is only calculated when you level up. Meaning a Level 100 Pokémon wouldn't be able to make use of the new Stat Exp it gets...though there is a workaround. Boxing your Pokémon then taking it out recalculates the stats, taking in to consideration the current amount of Stat Exp.

For more info, go here:

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, this sounds like it's going to be a transfer so I'm going to assume they'll pretty much create a new Pokemon based on the one sent to the Pokemon Bank. If I were to structure it (well, honestly I would give the player a lot of choice, but if I were to do the bare minimum):

1. It'll have the same name.
2. It'll have the same moves.
3. Do what they did in Gen II for the Special Stat and deciding gender (that way if they release the Gen II games with connectivity to Pokemon Bank they could follow these steps except skip this one)
4. Afterwards they could just proportionate the differences between the two IV values and round it. So say a Gen I (or II) Pokemon had a stat spread of 12/15/9/4/7/11. Add one to each value and then divide each by 16 (remember, 0 counts as a value) and you'll get 0.8125/1/0.625/0.3125/0.5/0.75. Now multiply those numbers by 32 and than subtract 1 from their value and you should get their "correct" IVs from Gen III onwards: 25/31/19/9/15/23. Now this might make certain value to get impossible to get (like I don't think you can get a 16), but hey at least this way you can get a mon with a max 31 and in the end I think we can all agree that's the important thing here.
5. Set EVs to zero (there's Super Training and Vitamins. IVs were the only big problem honesty).
6. Then once all that's done Ability and Nature could be randomly generated.

Look, you're not going to get a great Pokemon unless you're SUPER lucky. Though that's honestly not the main point of transferring up a Gen I Pokemon, you're transferring it up because you went through an adventure together and want to keep it with you as you go through the generations.

As I said, if it was me I would let the player have some input on the creation like letting them choose the Ability (of the normal Abilities, though maybe I would give them a chance for it to be the Hidden if they allowed it to be random) and Nature. I'd also maybe apply a Legendary mechanic on them and say that their three highest stats that aren't at 31 will be automatically raised to 31 just to give them a chance in the new meta filled with bred Pokemon. But that's what I would do, who knows what GF has planned.

Missingno Idea:
Hey guys, I just got this crazy idea! You know how how everyone's joking about sending a Missingno to Pokemon Bank? Well what if GF knew that was going to happen so to flip the joke around on us create an actual "Glitch Pokemon" for Gen VII and have Missingno. transform into it when sent to the Pokemon Bank? It won't be the only way to get it, but it would be the easiest way to. ;)
I believe doing the IV correction method you described, an even-numbered IV is not possible, except for 0. However, the only major problem this creates is restricting Hidden Power type to Dark unless one or more IVs are 0, so it's only a big deal on Pokemon that really want to be running Hidden Power for coverage. However, to be fair, there are only 5 DVs to 6 IVs (Special was one stat) but you could just split the Special DV into Special Attack IV and Special Defense IV and both of those be the same.

EDIT: never mind, 0 isn't possible either

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader

Use the Ditto Glitch, if it still works (which I assume it does since it's basically the Mew Glitch with some altered steps).

Also, is it just me, or are the VC games very dark? I never had issues with sight back in the day with my GBC/Red Cartridge as long as the environmental light was decent. But I'm basically squinting to see the 3DS screen.

I just want to say I'm loving the opportunity to play these again. I've spent 18 years playing Pokemon! I never tire of playing RBY. Thank you Gamefreak.

/returns to check 20th anniversary giveaway thread in the wifi forum

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Use the Ditto Glitch, if it still works (which I assume it does since it's basically the Mew Glitch with some altered steps).

Also, is it just me, or are the VC games very dark? I never had issues with sight back in the day with my GBC/Red Cartridge as long as the environmental light was decent. But I'm basically squinting to see the 3DS screen.
I'm not having too many issues seeing the VC games. It may well be my messed-up eyes that have a hard time seeing anything 10 feet in front of me (but everything else is fine) but it's easier for me to see than when I play my Red cart on my GBA.

Try pressing L + R + Y, it might help! Or make it worse...

Reactions: Xen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)