Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

I am significantly disappointed in knowing that it is actually a Mythical, so most likely irrelevant or not even available in gen 8 games aside from this event.

... as well as not usable in any facility or competition of sort even if it turned out being good.

Heh at least the name isn't as terrible as the PLGO moves.

Mythical? That is kind of... unexpected, as it does not have the generic cute looks of many early-revealed Mythical Pokemon.

Have you even seen its Go animations, that thing is cute a f, even I like it ! <3
I know, I know, it's cute... but not the same kind of cute as pokemon like, say, Manaphy or Mew.

It's more like Mimikyu. Cute in an awkward way.

Last edited:
I guess I’m the only one who still thinks this thing looks like ass, the parts just seem randomly jammed together from three different designs. Hopefully it evolves into something that looks more cohesive.

I guess I’m the only one who still thinks this thing looks like ass, the parts just seem randomly jammed together from three different designs. Hopefully it evolves into something that looks more cohesive.
No, there's lot of people that don't like the design. I also don't particularly like it, I thought at first it was a clear placeholder model, but doesn't change that its ingame animations are adorable.

I am significantly disappointed in knowing that it is actually a Mythical, so most likely irrelevant or not even available in gen 8 games aside from this event.

... as well as not usable in any facility or competition of sort even if it turned out being good.

Heh at least the name isn't as terrible as the PLGO moves.
I was kind of hoping that it was an Pre-evolution of Ditto, but no. I wish they’d introduce Cross generational Pokémon again. I’m not sure why they stopped.

https://pokemonletsgo.pokemon.com/en-gb/new-pokemon/

By the way, Meltan is pure Steel-type, defying expectations of double typing. It's only the sixth pure Steel-type Pokemon in the whole series (the others being a Mega Evolution, a Legendary and three related by evolution).

If I'd have to make a guess, the website implies you can only get it in Let's Go by transfer from GO.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD

Since I haven't seen this posted yet, here's some of the game data and what seems likely to be the Sugimori illustration. Meltan's in the second smallest group of Pokemon, sitting with Cosmog and Shaymin-Land. Species name is probably referring to the 6 sided nut, not a curse "hex"

I was kind of hoping that it was an Pre-evolution of Ditto, but no. I wish they’d introduce Cross generational Pokémon again. I’m not sure why they stopped.
My personal guess is that aside from Eevolutions and Regional forms, they stopped with crossgen evolutions because it gets progressively more difficult to explain (both ingame and in anime/manga lorewise) why nobody ever before had a Chansey or Golbat he was particularly friendly with evolve into a Blissey or Crobat, or why someone randomly found out that Gligar can evolve if it has particularly sharp fangs.

Regional Forms however do offer a better and more lore-friendy way to introduce potential crossgen evolutions as they actually are a real *evolution* of the Pokemon wildlife adapting to the environment.

By the way, Meltan is pure Steel-type. It's only the sixth Pokemon in the whole series with that typing.
I'm personally banking in "all stats equal to 80 or 100" club for Meltan, and Volt Absorb or Lightning Rod as ability seeing they mentioned its affinity for Electricity.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My personal guess is that aside from Eevolutions and Regional forms, they stopped with crossgen evolutions because it gets progressively more difficult to explain (both ingame and in anime/manga lorewise) why nobody ever before had a Chansey or Golbat he was particularly friendly with evolve into a Blissey or Crobat, or why someone randomly found out that Gligar can evolve if it has particularly sharp fangs.
Don't think that's it. After all, they don't make any effort at explaining why this or that Pokémon suddenly learn new moves or have new abilities. Pikachu suddenly knowing Volt Tackle was treated as the most natural thing ever. Double Battles were suddenly allowed. Mega Evolutions was this ancient secret that nobody remembered to bring up until now.

I rather presume it has something to do with reducing previous fan-favourites into mere transitional stages. Do you like Piloswine? Too bad, now it's just a temporary stop on Swinub's journey to greatness. Think Electabuzz was a great end-game 'mon? Now it's inferior to this new yellow ogre thing. Want to unleash the ultimate potential of Rhyhorn? Forget about Rhydon, the 'mon you're looking for is fat and has elbow horns. I think it was the fan backlash of pushing all the old full evos out of the limelight in favour of new designs that ended the practice.

But I hope Game Freak will see reason and realize that these new evolutions made a bunch of old crapmons actually worth catching. There's a ton of native Gen IV-VI Pokémon that could really use an extension of their evolution lines to fall out of obscurity, and a fair few from Gen I-III as well. I mean, who would have wanted a Yanma before, until it suddenly got a badass evolution? The promise I see in the evolved form is the reason why I catch Nosepass but skip Carbink. I would never have considered using Roselia if it didn't have a second (well, third) power level with end-game stats, and for that reason I choose not to use Corsola. Maractus (BST 465) is a much less exciting catch than Tangela (BST 435). With new evolutions, I could live with a few old favourites becoming more like transitional forms. I'd rather see, say, Aromatisse becoming a middle step on a ladder to awesomeness than remaining the top step on a stairway to mediocrity.

But I hope Game Freak will see reason and realize that these new evolutions made a bunch of old crapmons actually worth catching. There's a ton of native Gen IV-VI Pokémon that could really use an extension of their evolution lines to fall out of obscurity, and a fair few from Gen I-III as well. I mean, who would have wanted a Yanma before, until it suddenly got a badass evolution? The promise I see in the evolved form is the reason why I catch Nosepass but skip Carbink. I would never have considered using Roselia if it didn't have a second (well, third) power level with end-game stats, and for that reason I choose not to use Corsola. Maractus (BST 465) is a much less exciting catch than Tangela (BST 435). With new evolutions, I could live with a few old favourites becoming more like transitional forms. I'd rather see, say, Aromatisse becoming a middle step on a ladder to awesomeness than remaining the top step on a stairway to mediocrity.
Problem is, one thing is to integrate a "mechanic" like Mega Evolutions or learning a new move, another one is to integrate an actual flat out new evolution.

Both the introduction of Mega Evolutions, Z-moves, Hidden Abilities and Regional forms dedicated to previous gens Pokemon (expecially gen 1 cough cough) clearly shows they are looking for other ways to make old Pokemon competitively strong (or at least interesting in-game and not completely forgotten) than just putting in new Evolutions.

Putting in new Evolutions also has the not-cool side effect of messing with National Pokedex order, because evolutionary families are all following each other and cross gen evos break that rhytm. It obviously isn't the *reason* for giving up the idea entirely, but I would easily bet it contributes to insisting on trying new options to reevaulate previous generation Pokemon.

One thing about Meltan now is that this is... so different. This is in the same class of mini-mythicals Mew Celeby Jirachi Manaphy Shaymin Victini Hoopa (well, bound form) Marshadow. But they are noticeably more 'lifelike' in anatomy with noticeable face and actual limbs. This is quite a trend breaking in design. And possibly with less favourable reactions. (Honestly I'll also need time to get used to it since this looks more like living meme than actual mon.)

Then again, the magnetic slime experiment it was possibly based of is interesting and it does give a mild interesting RL fact of corroding metal by things like mercury, and there still seems to still be a connection to Ditto if their explanations in GO is to be believed (assuming that whole fiasco was actually intentional.)

(assuming that whole fiasco was actually intentional.)
As someone was mentioning earlier, if they really managed to come up with the Go event + all the advertising and even voiced videos in every language within few days of the "leak", kudos to reaction and development times.

On more realistic note, it would feel like the first time they do a marketing/advertising action that is successful since... ages. It did create curiosity/hype, and it was not on Japanese exclusive events or magazines, but worldwide and on socials.

I'm hoping they learned from the PLGO advertising fiasco and they keep with this improvement of their marketing.

As someone was mentioning earlier, if they really managed to come up with the Go event + all the advertising and even voiced videos in every language within few days of the "leak", kudos to reaction and development times.

On more realistic note, it would feel like the first time they do a marketing/advertising action that is successful since... ages. It did create curiosity/hype, and it was not on Japanese exclusive events or magazines, but worldwide and on socials.

I'm hoping they learned from the PLGO advertising fiasco and they keep with this improvement of their marketing.
Quick, start hacking and leaking all of their planned new features so that they're forced to come up with more good advertising!

https://pokemonletsgo.pokemon.com/en-gb/new-pokemon/

By the way, Meltan is pure Steel-type, defying expectations of double typing. It's only the sixth pure Steel-type Pokemon in the whole series (the others being a Mega Evolution, a Legendary and three related by evolution).

If I'd have to make a guess, the website implies you can only get it in Let's Go by transfer from GO.
That doesn’t make any sense. Didn’t the first trailer for Let’s Go show that you can recieve a new Pokémon via Let’s Go to GO. Maybe that Pokémon in the box is another new Pokémon? Regardless, if there planning to keep the communication to SmartPhone one time only, how are we going to transfer it to 8th gen aside from future distributions?

That doesn’t make any sense. Didn’t the first trailer for Let’s Go show that you can recieve a new Pokémon via Let’s Go to GO. Maybe that Pokémon in the box is another new Pokémon? Regardless, if there planning to keep the communication to SmartPhone one time only, how are we going to transfer it to 8th gen aside from future distributions?
PokeTransfer, perhaps? We know through datamining that they've been wanting to transfer pokemon from GO to the main games since Sun/Moon.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Wow the design is literally the worst I have seen. I thought it was a glitch before the announcement.
You have a very poor understanding of how glitches work if you thought that an entire unique and animated sprite is somehow a completely random error on behalf of the code.

It's giving me Xurkitree vibes personally, and while I don't like it close to as much as Xurk, I can see it growing on me. At least it's less initially revolting than fellow piece of metal Klink

Not in current game it'll debut. But I'm sure it'll have an ability and it is just because LGPE won't have abilities at all.
I am personaly betting on Volt Absorb, Lightning Rod or some variants: they pointed it absorbs eletricity in its reveal but it's not a Electric type, so such ability would make perfect sense.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Meltan:
So it is a Mythical, interesting. As Siggu said, even when compared to the previous "cute" Mythicals it still looks out of place. It looks too simple; it's a gray Ditto with a copper bolt for a head, floating pupil, and stripped wire tail. It looks like a basic stage Pokemon, making me think there has to be something additional to it like another evolution step (we got Legendaries and Ultra Beasts that evolve, why not a Mythical?) or it has another form (be it just something that needs to be triggered or a Mega/Ultra Evolution).
Pure Steel-typing a bit of a surprise as it's mentioned it generates electricity by absorbing metal into its body. But hey, we kind of need more pure Steel-types and it's not the first Steel (or Rock) that's able to generate electricity but not be Electric-type (Nosepass family, Klink family).
Quickly going over the reveal trailer, first it's a cute idea; I like having the Professor's talking with each other. That said, BOY do the art styles clash, lol. Also, Willow, you sound way too young to have white hair (or is that suppose to be your natural hair color?).
Second, um, it's an ancient Pokemon? The Pokemon with an industrial produced bolt head and a wire tail with modern day insulated wire covering... is from an ancient culture that wrote on stone tablets? And it's not like it got these extra features now, the ancient tablet shows it with these features already! GF, come on, in the past you went out of you way to explain why certain Pokemon like the Klink family and Magearna were both mechanical and ancient, but I think this is stretching it. Like maybe I could have bought it having the bolt head, but the wire tail? Unless you're going to introduce one of those lost ancient cultures that had high technology these just seems like lazy writing.

Cross Gen Evo-lacking:
I think them not having any more cross gen evolutions had to factor in how they handled Gen V and VI. Since Gen V took place in a region based on one outside of Japan they wanted to emphasize this by having the first initial paired games not have any older gen Pokemon during the main game, thus no reason for their to be cross gen evolutions (even though Alomomola should have been a Luvdisc evolution...). Then Gen VI introduced Mega Evolutions and GF's logic was probably "why have a plain ol' evolution when we could give it a suped up Mega Evolution". What Codraroll suggested with them not wanting to "demote" a probably popular Pokemon to just being another stage is also probably a good reason (though I'd also think they would welcome this previous fully evolved Pokemon now being able to use Eviolite, and they still have the original Pokemon if they don't like the evolution; in that light a Mega Evolution is kind of worse to have as they don't get the Eviolite bonus and some probably now require their Mega Evo (which you can only have one on your team) to be considered useful...).

Putting in new Evolutions also has the not-cool side effect of messing with National Pokedex order
The Pokedex ordering kind of needs a redo anyway, a set-up where if they add a new evolution or form they won't need to re-number all the Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)