Player of the Week 2: FLCL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello again and welcome to our next Player of the Week. This thread hopes to increase the visibility of prominent NU players to the community and the outside world while promoting both users and the strategies that they find to be effective in the metagame. If there is someone you would like to see interviewed, feel free to drop me a PM.

upload_2014-7-31_18-3-5.png

FLCL
Favorite Pokemon: Rotom
Most known for: In the words of Raseri, "FLCL = ladder scrub who was good who became a great poster who became a great tour player who then went and played OU."
Favorite Playstyle: Balanced
Most used Pokemon: Rotom
For week two, FLCL was a good choice. Noted by Raseri as one of the scariest people to battle, FLCL is truly a force to be reckoned with. So, let's talk to this anime-loving terror.
Lord Alphose: Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to Pokemon?

FLCL: im 18 yrs old currently going to school in vancouver. i first discovered smogon in 2009 but i didnt start playing seriously until early 2012. for the entirety of bw i played nu but in xy im pretty much dabbing in every tier, mainly ou uu and nu.

Lord Alphose: i think the entire NU tier is comprised of Canadians. Seriously, is this a racism thing?

Lord Alphose: How and when did you start playing NU? Do you remember your first team?

FLCL: when i started playing in 2012, i first played ru. but i wasnt good at it and i kept losing to silentverse's butterfee and at the time nu just became official (i think) so i joined in the bandwagon sorta.

Lord Alphose: When did you first fight real NU players? When was the first time you really got destroyed by someone who just totally outclassed you?

FLCL: after a month or two of playing i started getting more involved on irc and in the forums. i remember cbb was the first person that really destroyed me on the ladder during one of the research weeks.

Lord Alphose: What is your favorite element of NU?

FLCL: i really like the offensive nature of nu right now. i think it makes it fun to play, compared to uu, for example...

Lord Alphose: If you could change one thing about NU by banning or unbanning it, what would it be?

FLCL: BAN COMBUSKEN

Lord Alphose: NU user or player you most admire?

FLCL: probably Zebraiken. really skilled and one of the nicest people i know n_n

Lord Alphose: What do you think is the most successful Pokemon, core, or strategy in the current meta?

FLCL: omastar/crustle ho

Lord Alphose: Advice to new NUers?

FLCL: nu isn't about using random mons and gimmicks. id suggest taking a look at what the good players are using and either follow their example or try and think of ways to counter the metagame without being too gimmicky.

Nozzel requested an RMT, so here's one of FLCL's famous RMTs:
Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Payback
- Mach Punch

Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Skuntank @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Crunch

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
This team was built for BW1, which might explain some of the strange sets, for some of you newer people.

Thanks FLCL for such late notice and for being there when I got back from rock climbing. I'll be back next week with a different NU player.

Last edited:

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
I tried nu laddering and it went quite bad now I will try FLCL team and ladder

Edit gen 5 nu

Last edited:
FURIKURI
Thouroughly enjoyed this although lets be real the avatar shoulda been a Rotom-S and Gurdurr because that is all he is capable of using.
Also yeah NU is completely overridden by Canadians. Seriously though solid interview, glad to see these happening and giving players a little get to know section.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Flcl you are a fuckin beast! I remember you were the player I was looking up too when starting nu in mid 2012 and I still do! Can't wait too smash you in frontier tho :)

the three posters above me should probably refrain from posting ever

Suggestion for a new question - what is the most overrated and underrated Pokemon in NU. It is interesting to see where people's opinions differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)