Metagame Partners in Crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Well big F for having this be playable on main.

I would have been playing more if we hadn't lost internet at home since Sunday so I only got a few games in with really unoptimized teams.

A combo I enjoyed and wanted to explore further was Dragapult and Kyurem-Black. Dragon Darts coming off of KB's huge Attack in conjuction with being pretty spammable and boosts from Dragon Dance make it very threatening to go up against. Especially with its great tanking potential alongside Pult Screens, and Terravolt letting it ignore opposing defensive abilities, I think they can form a devastating offensive force.

Dragonite was something I wanted to build around but never got to (guess why), not because of Multiscale but Inner Focus. Fake Out and Intimidate are very prevalent and it is able to protect your side from both at once, while also having a great movepool it can share with teammates. Being able to feign Multiscale is awesome as well since it can bait Fake Outs, which can help gain some free turns.

I don't have any real merit to call out anything as banworthy thus far but I would want to keep an eye on Regieleki. It's already a fantastic as support + cleaner and granting it an actual movepool is such a big deal, as nothing unboosted really comes close to outspeeding it even if Eleki barely invests into Speed. Being frail isn't too big of a concern as it can slot in ESpeed to outpace strong Priority, so its biggest weakness as far as I can tell is versus Trick Room and Fake Out.

Urshifu (read: Unseen Fist) is also quite scary as it can invalidate Protect completely but it being fairly slow and frail plus only letting Contact moves bypass Protect doesn't make me immediately concerned about its effect on the meta.

It's really too bad that this OM had to be pulled, but I'll post a couple ideas I had.

Hitmontop has great partner potential with Intimidate/Technician and nice supporting move pool.
Although perhaps not as generally useful, Steadfast could be pretty sweet tech for the right partner.

Consider the following as proofs of concept:

Defensive set:
:hitmontop:
Hitmontop (M) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard / Detect
- Coaching
- Close Combat / Triple Axel / etc.

Note that Coaching can be used on a partner who is using Protect/Detect

More offensive set:
:hitmontop:
Hitmontop (M) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Triple Axel
- Mach Punch / Bullet Punch / Bulldoze / Aerial Ace

Technician Bulldoze / Aerial Ace might work well with a Flying-type partner (like Landorus/Gyarados who don't get good Flying STAB)

If you're looking for something more spicy, consider this pair:

Gyarados @ Power Herb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Skull Bash
- Dragon Dance

Zeraora @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Fake Out
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off / Protect / Bulk Up / Discharge / Quick Guard

Volt Absorb covers the 4x Electric Weakness, and Fake Out by either partner can give the other an opportunity to set up.
The spicy part comes with Power Herb / Skull Bash also allowing Gyarados to make good use of STAB 110 BP Acrobatics.
Even spicier is having the option for Plasma Fists to turn Skull Bash into Electric Type!
Zeraora can also fire off Earthquakes for free, and Discharge could be used for speed control as well as some heals for the partner.

If you're looking for something more spicy, consider this pair:

Gyarados @ Power Herb
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Skull Bash
- Dragon Dance

Zeraora @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Fake Out
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off / Protect / Bulk Up / Discharge / Quick Guard

Volt Absorb covers the 4x Electric Weakness, and Fake Out by either partner can give the other an opportunity to set up.
The spicy part comes with Power Herb / Skull Bash also allowing Gyarados to make good use of STAB 110 BP Acrobatics.
Even spicier is having the option for Plasma Fists to turn Skull Bash into Electric Type!
Zeraora can also fire off Earthquakes for free, and Discharge could be used for speed control as well as some heals for the partner.
hopefully your idea isnt bugged imma see if i can send a challenge to my alt and see if it works.
edit: so basically it wasn't in challenge so this is why we have rom.psi, so i challenged my alt, it worked

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think it will come back this month. It was Leader's Choice and not the vote winner, so who knows. At best, it won't be coming back until the bugs are fixed.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunately, I come bearing very sad news today.
After taking some time to look into the issues revolving the metagame, the overwhelming amount of bugs in this metagame that left it unplayable have been deemed too much work to reasonably fix. As such, this metagame will be archived. Thank you to jasprose for supporting this metagame the past two generations and to the community for being such big fans, very sad to see that this metagame could not be salvaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)