Pokémon Pangoro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already checked those. so far, nothing other than Pan family gets parting Shot (other than Smeargle, who uses it differently anyway. Pangoro's dark type also gives it a double weakness to Fairy along with the Psychic immunity, so I don't know...

The set in the OP should run sky uppercut and iron fist IMO. I believe that iron fist boosts sky uppercut to 102 power(if I'm wrong somone please tell me I'm stupid) and lacks a speed drop like hammer arm. I also doubt pangoro could really make mold breaker useful

The set in the OP should run sky uppercut and iron fist IMO. I believe that iron fist boosts sky uppercut to 102 power(if I'm wrong somone please tell me I'm stupid) and lacks a speed drop like hammer arm. I also doubt pangoro could really make mold breaker useful
You aren't wrong about Sky Uppercut getting boosted, but Hammer arm does as well. The speed drop isn't that important seeing that you weren't outspeeding much prior.

Mold Breaker is there primarily for Earthquake if hitting most Rotoms and Weezing is more important than the bonus damage on Hammer Arm. Additionally, (unless I'm misinformed) Mold Breaker also lets you parting shot against magic bounce. Then of course there are the side benefits of ignoring multiscale, marvel scale, and sturdy.

Last edited:
According to Serebii, it learns Storm Throw as an egg move, which seems to be a nice alternative to Sky Uppercut/Hammer Arm, especially if you're using Mold Breaker. 90 BP when you factor in Critical Hit with perfect accuracy and no downsides. In fact, it even ignore defense boosts, which is a minor plus.

Maybe someone has brought this up already (I can't be arsed to root through all 9 pages) but I think Pangoro's strength is Scrappy + Circle Throw. Set up entries, then go to Pangoro and Circle Throw their entire team since ghosts won't be immune to it thanks to Scrappy. With its massive base attack, CT should do loads of damage even with little or no investment.
No idea what set to use but I'm thinking about:

Adamant, 252 atk/252 hp/6 def
Scrappy
@Chesto Berry
-Rest
-Circle Throw
-Crunch
-Parting Shot

With the right entry hazard and defense support (like, say, Ferrothorn and Clefable) this guy could maybe actually do something.

Would this set be viable over pangoro?

Pancham@Eviolite
252 HP/ (rest of evs split between def and sdef)
-parting shot
-foul play
-filler
-filler

Just some food for thought, although im thinking this isn't a very great set XD but with proper (extremely lucky and great) support, it could make a great phazer and entry way for a sweeper.

Would this set be viable over pangoro?

Pancham@Eviolite
252 HP/ (rest of evs split between def and sdef)
-parting shot
-foul play
-filler
-filler

Just some food for thought, although im thinking this isn't a very great set XD but with proper (extremely lucky and great) support, it could make a great phazer and entry way for a sweeper.
the best answer is. . .no. Pancham's defenses are little cup range, and foul play is a really inconsistent way to deal damage. Pangoro at least has the bulk to be a decent threat in lower tiers, but pancham really doesn't have the stats for that.

Sad that Pangoro got a shallow movepool atm, We still dont know what he'll get from Move Tutors down the line, but if it gets the ElePunchs and Drain Punch, which were all Tutor Moves in BW2 mind you, he may be saved. In the meantime, how about a set I found laying around?

Pangoro @ Choice Scarf
Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature, 244 Speed, 252 Atk, 14 HP
Sky Uppercut
Crunch
Parting Shot
Earthquake

Sorry if somethings similiar been brought up, but could this set be any good?

the best answer is. . .no. Pancham's defenses are little cup range, and foul play is a really inconsistent way to deal damage. Pangoro at least has the bulk to be a decent threat in lower tiers, but pancham really doesn't have the stats for that.
Does Pangoro really take hits better than evolite Pancham though? Perhaps on the special side of things, but I'm not so sure about physically.

Just a bit of theorycrafting: was considering Assault Vest's possible uses, and I noted that Pangoro's 71 base SpD meant that he had just barely enough to break the 100pt threshold with the item. Since he has access to damage-based steroids like Power-Up Punch, or has a natural one in Iron Fist, he could potentially fit an anti-special niche. The basic idea is:

War Panda
Pangoro @ Assault Vest
Iron Fist/Scrappy
Adamant/Careful, 252 Atk, 252 SpD, 6 HP
Power-Up Punch
Crunch
Earthquake
Poison Jab/Stone Edge

You can give up a little immediate power by switching Iron Fist for Scrappy if whiffing PUP on a Ghost-type is a concern. It means marginally better consistency, especially with M-Gengar running around. Fighting/Dark is a PITA typing with the X4 Fairy weakness and vulnerabilities to Gale Wing Talonflame, but he slips in nicely as a rebuff to any non-Fairy special attacker, and access to Poison Jab means he can at least try for a prediction on them.

The main thing is: with AV, his abysmal speed isn't quite the kick in the nuts, and it goes excellently with his good HP rating and great Atk.

Last edited:
Fully cognizant of that, yes. The thing is: does running Parting Shot with that speed rating inherently mean fielding a mediocre Pokemon? While it opens up a lot of opportunities and means to blunt your opponent's momentum - doubletapping the kneecaps of a physical attacker with a switch-in to an Intimidator, for instance - he's too mediocre to do that more than once or twice. I'm not fully sold on the idea that Parting Shot alone makes him worth running.

Meanwhile, an AV-PUP build means he will have opportunities to switch in and even set up. Off a comparison of base stats and damage taken, it'll effectively be as if he's gained conditional resistances, and even has the coverage to sweep.

The question I'm asking is basically: is it worth giving up Parting Shot to make Pangoro a more genuine and consistent threat? Why or why not?

I generally dislike Fighting-types that are themselves weak to Fighting. Terrakion is a notable exception, but only because it's a monster of a Pokémon.

As it stands right now, Conkeldurr is a far better choice than Pangoro in many scenarios. Pure Fighting typing is actually an asset to a physical sweeper, and Pangoro's movepool is simply disappointing. Also, I'm not too sold on Parting Shot being that amazing a move. You lower the opponent's stats, switch in, and now your opponent is almost assured to switch to a Pokémon with type advantage over yours. Sure, it synergizes well with Pursuit, and even without Pursuit (and with some good prediction) the opponent will likely take a big hit on their switch in, but atm I don't think it is as useful a move as some feel it is.

For now, I'll stick with Conkel.

Parting shot is supposed to secure a turn for a boosting pokemon that can make it count regardless of what gets switched in against it, like Shell Smash Cloyster. It's an amazing move for the same reason that Memento can win games if used at the right time, only it's reusable as long as Pangoro is ok, unlike Memento.

Personally, I am planning on running a Choice Scarf on my Pangoro.

Probably some sort of EV spread of 252 Speed, and 252 Attack. Jolly.

Moves will be Parting Shot, Earthquake/Stone Edge, Crunch, and probably Hammer Arm... (Yeah I know Hammer Arm and Scarf makes no sense, but he doesn't have many options on the fighting move selection...)

Mostly, I plan on seeing his potential in being a hard hitting scout. Almost like a scarf Rotom W. Come in after one of your pokemon faint, and predict either hitting whatever switches in very hard, or use parting shot to give your set up sweepers a chance to start building up. He could also be a pretty potent clean up sweeper by the end of the game, if you got rid of most threats and have most things weakened.

With 252 speed ev's, jolly, and Scarf he hits 354. This beats anything up to (and including) a fully invested speed stat at base 111. So, this guy can outspeed a Gengar, but not a Scolipede.

How do people feel about throwing a scarf on this guy?

While this guy's future in Singles is uncertain, I feel like he may have potential in Doubles coupled with the Pokemon everybody is talking about, Talonflame, since Talonflame has priority Tailwind, cranking up Pangoro's Speed to the point where he'll be going fast enough to take on most notable Pokemon, so could a scenario like this work?

Send out Talonflame and Pangoro, Items are somewhat irrelevant, so long as Talonflame isn't holding a Choice item.
Talonflame sets up the priority Tailwind, making Pangoro much more of a threat if it's equipped with something like a Choice Band or Life Orb, and then Talonflame goes from there spamming Priority Brave Birds and resetting up Tailwind when it wears off. So, given that I'm absolutely new to Doubles, but could this be viable?

While this guy's future in Singles is uncertain, I feel like he may have potential in Doubles coupled with the Pokemon everybody is talking about, Talonflame, since Talonflame has priority Tailwind, cranking up Pangoro's Speed to the point where he'll be going fast enough to take on most notable Pokemon, so could a scenario like this work?

Send out Talonflame and Pangoro, Items are somewhat irrelevant, so long as Talonflame isn't holding a Choice item.
Talonflame sets up the priority Tailwind, making Pangoro much more of a threat if it's equipped with something like a Choice Band or Life Orb, and then Talonflame goes from there spamming Priority Brave Birds and resetting up Tailwind when it wears off. So, given that I'm absolutely new to Doubles, but could this be viable?
The biggest problem with this is Pangoro's best Fighting-STAB move is Hammer Arm, which will slow you down and nullify the speed boost from Tailwind.

Honestly, I think Pangoro is a lost cause; his movepool is barren, his power is unimpressive when compared to his Fighting-type brethren, he's actually pretty frail, and to put the cherry on it, he's slow, has no way to remedy his speed, and his best STAB move makes him slower, potentially preventing him from getting 2HKO's on Pokemon who have recovery moves. We can keep trying to find some competitive use for Pangoro, but I'm pretty sure he's joining Auruous and Dedenne down in NU.

lol. You consider Tailwind but not Trick Room? It's perfect for Trick Room, especially with Hammer Arm.

I've been having some success with:

Impish @ Leftovers 252 HP/ Def
~ Scrappy
- Vital Throw
- Parting Shot
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

It's actually won me a humble number of games in Pokebank OU. Would work so much better if it had any decent speed, but oh well, you work with what you have.

I've been having some success with:

Impish @ Leftovers 252 HP/ Def
~ Scrappy
- Vital Throw
- Parting Shot
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

It's actually won me a humble number of games in Pokebank OU. Would work so much better if it had any decent speed, but oh well, you work with what you have.
Vital throw? It's weaker than sky uppercut and makes you go last. If you want to go last than use circle throw to phaze. Vital throw is just outclassed.

I've been running a great hyper of fence pangoro set in the form of
-Assault Vest/expert belt
-252 Hp,252 attack,4 def
-Iron Fist
--------------------------------------
-Hammer Arm
-Crunch
-X scissor
-Dragon Claw

This set does it's best to take advantage of it bulk and make the most of its move pool. Pangoro unfortunately doesn't really stand out above Conckledor. And doesn't work as a sweeper like scrafty. So you might be asking yourself why use pangoro over other better fighting types. Well What pangoro lacks in speed he makes up for in staying power. I've found that x scissor works great against mallamar,espeon, and alakazam while dragon claw works to do SE damage on most common dragon types. Crunch and hammer arm are his best stab and replacing the assault vest with expert belt makes him a threat. I sincerely hope this badass panda gets the use it deserves!

I'm interested in this. What threats exactly are you outspeeding? No matter how you slice it, Pangoro has a horrible base Speed stat that not even a Choice Scarf could patch up.
max+ Scarf Pangoro has 354 speed, enough to outspee everything up to Max+ Tornadus. It can outspeed Gengar, Lati@s, and Espeon and OHKO with Crunch. It can outspeed Terrakion and Infernape and OHKO with Iron Fist Sky Uppercut, although Keldeo only takes 54.7 - 64.3%, it doesn't have recovery so that's not an inconceivable revenge kill. It can OHKO Salamence and Volcarona with Stone Edge, but they'll probably boost their speed anyway. It outspeeds Excadrill outside of sand and OHKOs with Sky Uppercut. It OHKOs Hydreigon with Sky Uppercut, and Kyurem-B after Stealth Rock. It can revenge standard bulky attacker Togekiss (248/0), which takes 58.9 - 69.7% from Stone Edge, which is actually usually enough to do it in considering LO recoil and SR weakness. It also OHKOs max+ Heatran and Mamoswine. I'm stopping here because listing anything slower would make it seem even more pathetic.

...so, not much. But Parting Shot compensates for it being a bad revenge killer...somewhat?

Also I used old, outdated B/W speed tiers so there's probably stuff I missed.

Last edited:
(Dunno if this has been posted yet), but when parting shot is bounced by magic bounce/coat it lowers user's stats, but makes opponent switch out, which could be used to phaze magic bouncers. I don't know if its liable or not, but it may work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)