OU team stagnant at 1600, needs help

Hey hey, this is more or less the OU team i've been running for the past month or so, I've got up to around 1600 on the ladder with it but laddering up has kind of ground to a halt, it is most likely because i've been playing like arse recently, but i just thought i'd throw the team into the forums for some feedback. This is also my first thread i've started on smogon, so sorry if i derp and the formatting is off.

aegislash.gif

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 156 HP / 160 SAtk / 8 Def / 184 SDef
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic

I've been running the toxic sub set recently, to pretty good effect. Walls most special attackers and can toxic stall them pretty well too.
ferrothron.png
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 128 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 124 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

Curse/ Gyro ball can be pretty evil, works well against DD Ttar. Also useful emergency check to kill off low health physical attackers using barbs and helmet. I do worry about the lack of defensive synergy between these first two though.
infernape.png
Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch

Used commonly to outmanouvere aegislash, bluffing mach punch then using flare blitz.

keldeo.png
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Scald
- Focus Blast

The special powerhouse of the team, specs is wicked on this guy and HP grass will ohko gastrodon and swampert which is useful. also useful electric draw to allow for a switch into lightningrod manectric.

landorus.png
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

Just here to dole out hits really and last for as long as he can.

manectric-mega.png

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

the newest and arguably most effective member of the party, HP ice is an awesome answer to the landorus, thundurus problem. Two reliable STABs and volt switch us great for maintaining momentum.

Any feedback is welcome :)

Attachments

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
A few quick changes to make to this team:
Switch Infernape to Talonflame, it is quite outclassed as a physically offensive fire-type imo and it is just a better mon in general. Here is the set I like but there are a lot of different ways to run a Talonflame.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp

Change HP Grass to Flying on Keldeo as Gastrodon and Swampert are almost never seen in OU and you need to handle Venusaur and other grass types and remove Focus Blast for Hydro Pump.

Change Lightningrod to Intimidate on Manectric since although it may surprise a Thundurus here or there it really doesn't compare to the Intimidate Volt-Turn core you could have with Landorus-T and Manectric.

This is one of the best teams I've seen on these forums, and I'm suprised you aren't higher up on the ladder. There are a few things, though, so I'll give my two cents. For one, I think you should remove Fake out on Infernape in favor of Thunder punch, to hurt water types on the switch. I would also forgo Flare blitz for fire punch, which reaches a base power of 97.5, if I did my calculations right. This, while not as high as Flare blitz's ridiculous base 120 power, is still high enough to do serious damage, but without that nasty recoil, which, when stacked on top of life orb damage, will make you die a lot faster. I disagree with Genesis7, in that I think Infernape is better than Talonflame because of the important fighting type coverage it gives. As for Keldeo, just take genesis' advice and you should be fine. On your Aegislash, I'd switch your Def EVs into HP, just because you want that little bit more. On Ferrothorn, I'd recommend you switch your SDef EVs into Def, to more clearly outline your physical and special walls. I think that's all. Let me know if it helps.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
This is one of the best teams I've seen on these forums, and I'm suprised you aren't higher up on the ladder. There are a few things, though, so I'll give my two cents. For one, I think you should remove Fake out on Infernape in favor of Thunder punch, to hurt water types on the switch. I would also forgo Flare blitz for fire punch, which reaches a base power of 97.5, if I did my calculations right. This, while not as high as Flare blitz's ridiculous base 120 power, is still high enough to do serious damage, but without that nasty recoil, which, when stacked on top of life orb damage, will make you die a lot faster. I disagree with Genesis7, in that I think Infernape is better than Talonflame because of the important fighting type coverage it gives. As for Keldeo, just take genesis' advice and you should be fine. On your Aegislash, I'd switch your Def EVs into HP, just because you want that little bit more. On Ferrothorn, I'd recommend you switch your SDef EVs into Def, to more clearly outline your physical and special walls. I think that's all. Let me know if it helps.
What? He already has great fighting type coverage with Keldeo and Landorus-T. There is a reason why Infernape dropped to UU, it's quite simply outclassed in OU right now.

thanks guys. switched
thanks man, switched around the EVs on ferrothorn as you suggested and it had been much more efficient as a result really. I think i'll keep flare blitz just for it's shear stopping ability but thunder punch was a great call.

A few quick changes to make to this team:
Switch Infernape to Talonflame, it is quite outclassed as a physically offensive fire-type imo and it is just a better mon in general. Here is the set I like but there are a lot of different ways to run a Talonflame.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp

Change HP Grass to Flying on Keldeo as Gastrodon and Swampert are almost never seen in OU and you need to handle Venusaur and other grass types and remove Focus Blast for Hydro Pump.

Change Lightningrod to Intimidate on Manectric since although it may surprise a Thundurus here or there it really doesn't compare to the Intimidate Volt-Turn core you could have with Landorus-T and Manectric.
hey man, think my description was unclear, manectric has lightningrod, but then M-manectric has intimidate. So you can get the boost on the switch and then mega evolve. Why do you think hydro pump, focus blast missing is a perpetual problem it's true, but focus blast can ohko a skarmory after stealth rocks which i find useful as it's one of my only answers to skarmory

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
hey man, think my description was unclear, manectric has lightningrod, but then M-manectric has intimidate. So you can get the boost on the switch and then mega evolve. Why do you think hydro pump, focus blast missing is a perpetual problem it's true, but focus blast can ohko a skarmory after stealth rocks which i find useful as it's one of my only answers to skarmory
Focus Blast has no place on a Keldeo no matter which way you spin it.

What? He already has great fighting type coverage with Keldeo and Landorus-T. There is a reason why Infernape dropped to UU, it's quite simply outclassed in OU right now.
You're completely right about the fighting type coverage, I was derping out XD. But I'm still not sure about tf, because of the x4 weakness to stealth rock, and with no defog or rapid spin, and the fact that it's using recoil moves like brave bird and flare blitz, I'm just not sure it's viable.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)