Project OU Next Best Thing V2 Week 4: Landorus-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The voting period has ended and Z-Work Up Greninja by KuraiTenshi26 has won!

Week 3's Pokemon will be Lando-T. This titain of the OU metagame has a solid movepool with some neat options to use, so I'm excited to see what you guys can come up with this week! The deadline for sets submitting will be Friday, March 9 and the voting phase will end on Sunday, March 11

Reserving hp fire

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 174 Def / 56 SpA / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock / U-Turn

Hidden power fire Landorus is used to OHKO kartana and 2HKO scizor so defogging for it is more difficult, Toxic is so it can do something to Zygarde and Landorus w/o hidden power ice while at the same time check Hawlucha and Crippling commons switchins like Zapdos, 56 SpA is to do a Guaranteed 2HKO to Mega Scizor, 16 speed is to outspeed adamant tyranitar the rest are bumped in HP and Def to let it tank physical hits better
56- SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Scizor-Mega: 172-204 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Bulk Up Landorus-T

Landorus-Therian @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off/Superpower
- Bulk Up

With the nice amount of switch-ins Landorus-T provides, you have plenty opportunities to set up once or even twice a match.
This way you can win stalemates towards i.e. other Landorus-T and, with the aid of Lum Berry to avoid status moves, the damage output goes out of control really quickly.
You are now able to beat your opponent by through force alone; Edgequake is for coverage, whereas Knock Off or Superpower are both good options to deal properly with a wider range of threats. I'd like Knock Off due to its utility beyond its power, but this move took a huge hit due to the presence of both Z-crystal and Megastones all around.

Some calcs:
+1 252 Atk Landorus-Therian Superpower vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Ferrothorn: 324-382 (92 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 234-276 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 352-415 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (you can PP stall Recover)

Last edited:

talah

from the river to the sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
reserving groundium

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Groundium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Gravity

why would you run this crystal over Flyinium/Rockium? well, for starters, it's the only set w/ a z crystal that can freely run HP Ice without giving anything up, making it able to beat other Landos very reliably, since you dont have to risk wasting your z move on something else. gravity+sd means literally nothing is safe(besides Tangrowth) from your z move, destroying zapdos/celesteela/anything not affected by EQ normally. bulu, which could otherwise sponge your hits just dies as well:

+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 309-365 (90 - 106.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery

lonely is chosen over ada/jolly or whatever for 2 reasons: make HP Ice a guaranteed 2hko on leftovers max hp lando and improve your stall MU; the +atk makes it much easier to break through unaware and fat mons like hippo.

Last edited:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off / Explosion

Choice Band Lando-T! An offensive pivot / all around wallbreaker. Earthquake is the main STAB, 2HKOing everything that doesn't resist it. U-turn lets you scout switch ins and grab momentum. Stone Edge has fantastic coverage with Earthquake, hitting the Flying types that resist it super effectively. Knock Off takes away the target's item, while Explosion lets you literally go out with a bang to get something else in safely. EVs maximise Speed and Attack - Choice Band takes its attack up to a whopping 640.

Calcs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Ferrothorn: 222-262 (63 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 255-301 (64.7 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Scizor-Mega: 166-196 (48.3 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 387-456 (55.1 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 324-382 (80.7 - 95.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Felixx

I'm back.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This shit's the fucking goat. Think it's a bad meme set that's absolute trash? Think again, with CM, defensive Lando is able to essentially beat a ton of mons that would usually check it, such as opposing Lando, Tapu Bulu, Zapdos, Clefable, M-Sciz, Glis, and M-Venu. Earth Power also lets you OHKO Kart, and prevents Tapu Koko from revenge killing you, and since the spread is still defensive, it's able to switch into the same mons and beat them like a normal defensive Lando would. One of the drawbacks is not having a proper slot to fit Stealth rocks, but that's not the biggest deal considering this set beats so much of the meta lessening the opportunity cost. Here's a few calcs to show its defensive/offensive prowess.
0 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. +1 248 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 172-204 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (so you already know Heat Wave is gonna bounce off and defog Zapdos dosen't even run HP Ice)

0- SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. +1 248 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 132-156 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- 54.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. +1 248 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 256-304 (67.1 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 0 SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 148-176 (38.6 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (predict with Earth Power for HP Ice Zapdos, otherwise use as complete set-up fodder)

+1 0 SpA Landorus-Therian Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 56 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 280-332 (81.6 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

+1 0 SpA Landorus-Therian Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor-Mega: 151-178 (44 - 51.8%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO

+1 0 SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 324-384 (84.8 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 0 SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 152 SpD Gliscor: 288-340 (81.8 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

Only giving you guys the important calcs, and you can edit your EV spread according, maybe an offensive CM spread, but I wanted Lando to still be a good defensive pivot.

Last edited:
Reserving Bulky Scarf

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide / U-turn / Sludge Wave

or

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Rock Slide / Explosion
- Defog

The first set was made / used by Eo in wcop, rather than explain it myself I'll just copy paste what he said:
"I needed a Pinsir counter that also checked Zygarde, and this was the best solution I could come up with. The idea is that only a defensive Landorus can survive Pinsir's Mega + Return + Quick Attack, but only a Scarf Landorus can beat Mega + Swords Dance, so why not combine both? As it happened, nobody brought Pinsir or Zygarde versus me, but this set ended up pulling its weight anyway in both the games I used it."
"64 Spe outruns Gengar, and 64 Atk is optional to secure the 100% OHKO on Pinsir with Rock Slide. The EVs could probably be tweaked further, but there's not much point to excessive Speed investment. The set isn't meant to play like a traditional scarfer, but more like a defensive Landorus that can outrun and surprise certain Pokemon. For this reason, I used it on a stall team that didn't require a scarfer and on a team in conjunction with another scarfer (Dugtrio). There are several things that work in favor of its surprise factor: Defensive Landorus frequently doesn't carry Leftovers, and on the off-chance that it gets hit with both a contact move and an Ice move (and lives), there are still several other viable option that would probably come to mind over Scarf; Landorus is also played like a pivot due to Intimidate, so coming in on a physical threat that should outspeed and KO isn't necessarily a giveaway of its Scarf; and in a similar vein, it can afford to choice lock itself more so than other defensive Pokemon.

I wanted to fit U-turn on there somewhere, but I couldn't; that being said, it's a natural choice for a choiced Pokemon. Sludge Wave would also work to lure Bulu if played correctly."

The second set was conjured by esteemed user and our host LL give me extra credit for this nigga. Again, I'll just copy paste what he said about the set, not much point me doing it (shhh i'm not lazy).
"This set hits 293 Speed, which ensures that Lando outspeeds Mega Alakazam at +1, and the rest of the EVs are just dumped into physical bulk. You can pump more EVs into defense compared to HP if you're paranoid about stuff like Pinsir and Zygarde, but I prefer the increased consistency overall. The third slot on this set is incredibly team dependent and shouldn't just be based on personal preference for the most part. Rock Slide is mainly used for Mega Pinsir, HP Ice for Zygarde, and Explosion as just a blanket move on more offensive teams to ensure that you don't lose momentum and still have ways of dealing with stuff like Pinsir."

Last edited:
Bulky Z-Fly
landorus-therianoaisudfj.gif
Bag_Flyinium_Z_Sprite.png

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fly

This lando set is a lure and kills threats such as bulky grasses Tangrowth + Bulu etc and of course Hawlucha. It maintains its usual defensive bulk to take on other threats such as Zygarde and give off the vibe of being just a normal defensive Lando, but trades lefties recovery and U-turn to be able to OH-KO the mentioned mons with Z-Fly so that other team members can take advantage of the situation of Bulu/Tang/etc dead or not fear a sweep from Hawlucha.

Last edited:

Marigold

formerly KuraiTenshi26
Imprison Suicide Lando-T

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Imprison
- Earthquake
- Explosion

It’s the typical suicide lando-t, but with a pseudo taunt in imprison, preventing the opponent from using moves that you have in your moveset (mostly stealth rock). This is really helpful vs stuff like clefable, heatran, ferrothorn, sash excadrill, etc. and especially opposing Landorus. You imprison the opposing lando’s earthquake too, letting you safely pivot into something that slurps up hp ice.

The set gives up swords dance, but I rarely find myself using the SD anyway cause you’d rather just rocks and boom. Imprison makes lando a proper suicide lead that actually prevents most rocks, and I find myself using it on every suicide lando HO. Definitely recommend giving this move a try.

On a side note, it’s hilarious when your lando’s imprison gets imprisoned by opposing lando. All you can do is tip your fedora in recognition lol.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Landorus-T @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe OR 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 Spe
Impish / Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Something that always kinda irritates me when I use Lando-T is the way that Kartana is able to come in as it KOs something and just set up without any real repercussions, and it's not always convenient to fit HP Fire onto sets to circimvent that (and the Mega Scizor MU) as you may be relying on Lando-T as your main stop to opposing Lando and Zygarde, making HP Ice an important tool for it to have. This is where Earth Power comes in; instead of being Swords Danced on and then proceeding to be KO'd by a boosted Leaf Blade after some prior damage, Earth Power is able to put a significant dent into Kartana–having a 37.5% chance to OHKO after SR and a 75% chance to KO with 1 Spike (or a guarantee if you can get both up+keep them both up) if you assume the Impish/Jolly+EQ variant that I listed above is used as opposed to some jank set with Toxic or U-turn or whatever. It's also nice for its ability to OHKO max HP Heatran through Grassy Terrain (as well as dealing more to most other 'mons under Grassy Terrain than EQ would). The first spread just hits the last Defense jump point whereas the second spread outruns timid Heatran.

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Life Orb Special:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is the ultimate Turn 1 Lando and Bulu lure; HP Ice and Sludge Wave OHKO both Defensive Lando and AV Bulu right off the bat, meaning that you can win lead wars against non-Sash Lando variants while also giving you LO-boosted Earthquakes to use against the likes of Mega Sableye.

4 Atk Life Orb Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 160-188 (52.8 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 390-463 (102 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Landorus-Therian Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 56 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 338-400 (98.5 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Landorus-Therian Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 278-328 (70.5 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Bulbapedia says that Landorus learns BLOCK
Oh yes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
EDIT: Btw, I would put an image, but my computer hates me so I can't

You know where this is going
Reserving Stuuful's trapping problem: Part 8 Landorus Style

Ok, who's ready for some trapping fun

Stuuful Bait (Landorus-Therian) @ Yache Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Def / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Block
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Thanks to its stellar movepool, great attack, and amazing boosting movepool, Landorus can easily utilize many sets. But this set is unlike any other, as it is a trapping set. Equipped with Block, Swords Dance, and Stone Edge, Landorus can effectively straight up remove or heavily weaken to the point of no return counters to its regular sets like Zapdos, Tapu Bulu, and Celesteela, as well as trap pivots like Magearna who go into it predicting Hidden Power Ice. Usually, when set-up Landorus is revealed, other teams just try to offensively pressure it. But with Block, swapping is impossible, leading to some great traps with effective predictions.The set is really self-explanatory as well. Block traps most hard-counters there are to Landorus, and Swords Dance can help boost its attacks to great levels, with Stone Edge following, leaving a potential sweep for a teammate like Kartana and Ash-Ninja

On to set details. Adamant Nature provides maximum attack which is crucial to ensuring OHKOs and 2HKOs on Stone Edge. 96 Spe outspeeds defensive Zapdos. Finally 160 Hp just improves overall bulk and helps Landorus take hits better on both sides. Finally Yache Berry lets you remove all Zapdos, and trap opposing Landorus if they do not have U-Turn. Essentially the set works like this: Block on a predicted switch, Swords Dance, then K.O. You can trap certain threats regardless of whether you predict them or not. This set works best when you bluff it to be a Choice Scarf set since defensive mons aren't afraid to switch-in into an Earthquake. This set is pretty cool when I was testing it out, and I hope you find it so as well.
Wonderful world of calcs incoming
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Zapdos: 294-348 (76.7 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 230-271 (67 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Celesteela: 209-246 (52.6 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
( Use Protect turns to set-up)
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 52 Def Mantine: 324-382 (86.8 - 102.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye: 244-288 (80.5 - 95%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-Therian: 152-179 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 44 Def Amoonguss: 490-577 (113.6 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Ferrothorn: 297-349 (84.3 - 99.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 340-402 (86.2 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 214-252 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian: 314-370 (105 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 301-355 (82.9 - 97.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 333-393 (83 - 98%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 342-403 (99.7 - 117.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Pivots who think they are funny trying to swap into Hidden Power Ice or something
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 344-408 (94.7 - 112.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 270-318 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 744-876 (192.7 - 226.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

E: Fixed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)