OU Neck Punches and Laser Beams!

** Updates in this format.

This is my latest OU team, within the past few days that I've employed it I've seen a massive jump in my CRE and only see it going up, starting from a low point due to months of inactivity. At the moment I'm hovering about 1200 (unimpressive) as I've been lazy in my ranking. Regardless, this team has given me success but I feel it could be improved upon. I feel like a major issue of this team is no availability to "healers" such as Blissey or Vaporeon, but I don't know what to cut or if I should even try. I leave this team in the capable hands of Smogon, be thorough, because It can only help.

Making the Cut.

I started out with Machamp as a lead in mind, there is nothing that kicks more ass straight from the get-go than this roid'd-up meat head. If nothing else he has the ability to Conf'Hax almost everything. Machamp almost always guarantees that I KO at least one of the opponents Poke's.

Heatran pairs well with Machamp and covers Machamp from the Pokemon that he can't hurt too much such as Jirachi and Skarmory, scaring them away and giving me the chances to set up some SR.

Assuming that Heatran is still alive for the duration of the battle, Scizor and Heatran complement eachother well. Scizor can draw out the fire attacks that Heatran loves to eat and then take out the culprit, Scizor on the other hand is a highly capable revenge-killer and gives me a chance to get rid of some pesky Dragon's after some damage, revenge killing Dragonite and Flygon with ease.

Dragonite gives me a sweeper that can devastate anything that doesn't resist it after set up and if I'm lucky and can manage a +3 DD not much is going to stand up to that, even if they do resist. The only issue is getting status really (or making a shitty swith) theres really not much of a way around it bar Lum Berry, but I'm not sure I want to sacrafice attack power for staying power.

Starmie is a must for me as my team doesn't do the best with stacked SR or Spikes damage, Starmie makes sure that entry-whoring doesn't occur. Starmie can also take status for my team. Starmie does let me down in the attacking department though. In general Starmie just feels underpowered and basically easy set up fodder for the like of CroCune, which isn't a huge issue as I pack a Trick'Scarfer just for that case.

Rotom-C is the resident Trick'Scarfer and also functions well as an attacker. Rotom also check the likes of Swampert which my team doesn't take too well if Machamp is gone. The problem with this set is that it lacks bulk and requires good prediction which is not necessarily my strong suite.

The Lead.

Machamp @
Lum Berry

Ability: No Guard
240 HP/ 248 Attack/ 16 SpD/ 4 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-DynamicPunch
-Bullet Punch
-Payback
-Ice Punch

Machamp is an attacking beast and nothing is stopping him from KO'ing at least one of the opponents Poke's. Many may straight switch into their respective Rotom forme's but Payback makes sure that nothing happens with that. Ice Punch takes down Aerodactyl with ease and potential Breloom switch in's as well. The EV's are obvious, just about everyone knows this set, 16 SpD to survive Timid Azelf's Psychic, but most of the time people are running Modest or LO so I generally switch to Heatran as they cant touch him, and proceed to set up my SR.

Stealth Rocks.

Heatran @
Shuca Berry

Ability: Flash Fire
4 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Explosion

As this set often says, "You can Shuca my dick.". Heatran is generally swapped in to set up his SR on the likes of Azelf, Skarmory, Jirachi, and the occassional Metagross as they are more often packing Meteor Mash instead of EQ as of late. After that job is done Heatran is there to eat up those fire attacks aimed at Scizor and lay down the hurt on any Poke sad enough to be on the other end of Heatran's fire. Explosion is there as a surprise to unwary Vaporeon and Blissey that have the gual to switch in on Tran.

The Revenge Killer.

Scizor @
Choice Band

Ability: Technician
248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 Spe
-U-turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

Scizor is the end-all be-all revenge killer. But that's not the only reason that he's on this team. He obviously pairs well with Heatran as Heatran takes Scizor's only weakness like a pro. Scizor on the other hand can take out a few things that make poor Tran cry.

The Sweeper.

Dragonite @
Life Orb

Ability: Inner Focus
144 HP/ 132 Atk/ 232 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Roost

Who needs Salamence!? Dragonite has always been a better option personally. With better defenses and an attack that's only one point lower, this Dragon more than has a place on my team as the offensive "glue" as I like to put it. I like to set up DD's on the likes of CroCune as many are RestTalkers or sets that don't run Ice Beam anymore. After a +2 DD not much is standing up to him. He gets good synergy with Heatran and Starmie, Heatran can take Scizor trying to revenge him and Starmie can take a wayward Ice Beam. Dragonite can also take any Fighting attacks aimed at Heatran.

The Spinner.

Starmie @
Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure
4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Rapid Spin
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Recover

Starmie can manage to switch in on those bulky waters that give Scizor so much trouble and spin away those pesky entry hazard, which lay waste to most of my team. Otherwise Starmie plays a rather lackluster roll and always seems to let me down on the offensive, which is definitely how I like to play.

The Trick.

Rotom-W @
Choice Scarf

Ability: Levitate
252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Thuderbolt
-Shadowball
-Hydro Pump
-Trick

Rotom is my spin blocker, and Trick user to take out those nasty CroCune. He does his job well, what else can I say? He's also a great check for Gyarados which can leave a nasty dent in any team.

Run a Scizor / Tran / Celebi Core for defensive and offensive potential Machqmp + Jirachimtheb add a Azelf lead to improve it. Only replacing 2 Pokes and making better movesets help a lot .

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
Hey KatamariLovesSpock interesting team you have yourself, I have a few suggestions that may help your team out!

Solid team you have yourself the only concern I see regarding this team is playing against offensive water types. Such as Life Orb Starmie or Offensive Suicune. With there wide spread coverage hitting half of your team with super effective moves and the rest get heavily damaged against there stab Water attacks. As for Starmie it easily switches into Heatrans moves disregarding Explosion. It also can safely enter against Scizor's Bullet Punch and Starmies Surf. Life Orb Starmie can OHKO Scizor after stealth rocks and same goes for Rotom-c if you switch in predicting the electric move and instead get hit with Hydro Pump. Dragonite is also OHKO'd by Ice Beam and Heatran gets Ko'd by Hydro Pump, as for your own Starmie it gets out speed and Ko'd with Thunderbolt. As for the offensive Suicune weakness once Suicune obtains one Calm Mind it is able to take down a few pokemon. It's only safe way to set up is against Scizor's Bullet Punch or Pursuit. Then it is able to take a hit from scarf Rotoms Thunderbolt and ko' in return with either Surf or Hydro pump. Thus leaving you to bring in Starmie to Thunderbolt and offensive Suicune lives with a few hit points allowing it to ko' Starmie with Hidden Power Electric. With this scenario explained offensive Suicune easily nets two of your pokemon and if Rotom isn't in play it would have a potential sweep.

I would also be concerned about the Jolly Lucario weakness. If Lucario had Ice Punch instead of Crunch this team is highly threatened by it. Lucario easily being able to set up on Scizor's BP or Pursuit as well as Rotom's Leaf Storm. Then allowing it to suprise kill Pokemon such as Dragonite your initial switch into a full hp Lucario. The only option for you is revenge killing it with Rotom using Thunderbolt which only does about 75~ so either way you will get hit by Ice Punch.

With this said I would suggest you use Flygon over Dragonite. This allows you to switch into predicted electric attacks aiding Starmie. Choice Scarf Flygon also pairs well with Scizor allowing you to scout a lot more efficiently. By having the Electric immunity Flygon helps fight of Starmie by U-turning and revenge killing Suicune with Earthquake or Outrage. You can do this by using your own Starmie to lure in obvious eletric attacks from both pokemon thus allowing you to switch into Flygon. Like I said this pairs well with water types such as Starmie.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf | Levitate
Jolly | 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
U-turn | Earthquake | Outrage | Thunder punch

As for the Rotom I would insist you use Rotom - H instead of Rotom - C. Since this will allow you the use of Overheat. Allowing you to handle Lucario a lot more efficiently since you out speed and OHKO in return with overheat.
---
Good Luck :toast:

This is quite a balanced team, but maybe Rain Dance Kingdra? The mixed smogon set works quite nicely, and it eats up ice attacks, with dragon it's only weakness, and with Swify Swim Draco Meteor can destroy all those pesky dragons. Also, I think changing the style of your Heatran might help. Maybe you could use HP grass over Explosion, because Heatran, with it's plethora of resistances, can last an entire game, and losing that Fire immunity might cost you the game. Other than that I admire this team. I hope it gets you somewhere. ^-^

P.S. I love the name of the tread! xD

I've made another varient of this team on Shoddy with Choice Scarf Flygon instead of Dragonite, and Rotom-H instead of Rotom-C. This team hasn't lost since I made the swap but I'm a bit wary of the fact that I now have three Choice users on the team and I've noticed that I'm now more vulnerable to the like of CroCune. I want to do more testing before I update the thread with the changes though.

Otherwise Starmie plays a rather lackluster roll and always seems to let me down on the offensive, which is definitely how I like to play.
If you want to maintain offensive momentum but retain the ability to Rapid Spin, try out a LO Rapid Spin Starmie instead:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

This is probably one of the single greatest threats to stall teams, and fares very well against offensive teams as well. Keeping Rapid Spin allows you to get rid of entry hazards, but the set keeps a very offensive pace with Life Orb and Starmie's excellent coverage.

Good luck with your team!

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey,

Nice team. If you want to go on the offensive but still retain Starmie's ability to spin, simply switch the set to the Life Orb version stated above. This thing rips apart stall single-handedly once Blissey is taken care of, which isn't too hard to accomplish considering that Heatran carries Explosion.

I'd suggest replacing Rotom-c with Rotom-w, simply for its ability to deal much more reliable damage to Tyranitar with Hydro Pump. Thunderbolt takes care of Water-types already, and you only lose coverage on Swampert, who can't really do shit to Rotom anyway.

Gl with your team!

hey katamari,
this is a really nice team and i dont have much to say. the first thing i would recommend is changing dragonites ev spread to 144 hp/132 attack/232 spe, jolly. this gives you a lot of really necessary speed, while allowing you to still retain excellent bulk. another nitpick i have is starmies moveset. as others have suggested, i would change it lo- rapid spin/hydro pump/thuderbolt/ice beam, timid, 4 hp/252 spe/252 spA. surf is an option over hydro pump if you are paranoid about accuracy. leaf storm on rotom is a really bad move overall, so i would probably drop that for overheat or hydro pump along with a change to rotom-w or rotom-h.
solid team, sorry there was so little to change!

I've tested out several of the suggestions I've been given. Flygon isn't viable as it leaves the team too vulnerable with three Choice users, although it is powerful It's a risk that did lose me battles.

@ apologies
The new EV set on Dragonite works wonders.

@ IBanez
Rotom-W is a better fit for my team thank you.

@ Faladran, IBanez, and apologies
Life Orb Starmie is powerful but I'm not sure that I like it, I feel that It's longevity is cut severly by residual damage and the LO along with no access to instant recovery. I'm not sure that I'm going to keep it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)