XY OU OU Mega-Tar RMT (Peak ~1900)

Hello everyone! This is my first RMT, so please bear with me where I mess up or aren't clear enough.

I have always struggled with teambuilding, experimenting here and there, averaging 1500/1600ish (I'm much better at Gen 3). Recently I put together a HO team that seems to be working quite well. I feel there are still a few holes, but I don't know how to fix it.

Basically, the team is physical HO : get some hazards on the field and hammer away :)

Suggestions would be much appreciated. Here's the team:

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

I usually lead with Terrakion, as otherwise its sash is made useless due to hazards. Standard lead set, taunt is nice against opposing Skarm's (no defog or hazards for you, sir) and Mew! It's satisfying to taunt a Mew, since they don't really want to knock off. I chose Terrakion because it is always able to set up rocks (often I sac it, as against some teams it's not too important).

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Wtf is with this guy's speed tier haha. I chose Greninja because of its awesome speed and ability to hit most things pretty well. Standard spikes set, particularly useful against Special Walls that think they can wall me but in fact let me set up for free (looking at you, Chansey). It's also nice to spike against a predicted volt switch (e.g. Rotom-W).
Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mixed Thundurus: a god. Often, this guy smashes up half a team. Set from Smogon, wrecks Lati as well as having Defiant for them defogs. This set is so good, beats Heatran and Tar (often switch-ins) OHKO'ing Manectric (gets to attack first before mega evolution) with LO, Rocks and Superpower due to Intimidate boosting attack is really pleasant. Knock-off is handy to remove lefties.

E.g. Switching in on a Choice-locked EQ'ing Lando. Knock-off the Chansey's eviolite on switchin, then HP ice again as opponent predicts a Superpower, sending in Lando. +1 attack as well for the next poke :)

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Nobody uses this Chomp variant, interestingly. The main point of this pokemon is to help remove Tar threats. This includes Skarm (2KO-ed by +2 Fire Fang, therefore never having time to recover as everything else fucks up Skarm unless I am unlucky and Scizor gets WW'ed in, Ferrothorn (thank goodness), Will-o Rotom-W, Mew and even Slowbro to an extent thanks to Lum Berry. If faster threats (Keldeo, Lati) are removed, he can clean up teams.
Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

The pivot, e.g. useful against fairies, ice etc. I'd like to use Mega-Zor, but unfortunately already took up the mega-slot. This is probably the weakest link in the team, as I hate to be choice-locked on bullet punch. Therefore early game, I spam U-turn, and a clever opponent can abuse that. Late game, bullet punch is extremely useful.
Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Yes, the pride and joy of this team. Mega-Tar is amazingly bulky on both sides of the spectrum, as it survives Lando's EQ and Greninja's Hydropump! I send this monster in late game esp. when priority users are no longer around. DD to boost up its attack and speed (397, outspeeds everything non-boosted other than Mega-Manectric). Sometimes, he can set up multiple dances, which is useful to outspeed scarfers. I find the moves listed covers most things, though at times I wish I had crunch. I find ice punch to be more effective than fire punch, as Chomp is supposed to have removed Ferrothorn by this stage and ice punch really useful for taking care of Dragons and Lando/Gliscor, which are otherwise really painful.

Closing Remarks:
Many people complain about me getting lucky with hax. This is true :(
Nothing is more painful than missing 2 consecutive Stone Edges!
This team is really intense, requires a fair amount of prediction and concentration! When I go on tilt/just tired, I lose a lot!

Dealing with some threats:
  • Scizor/Azumarill/Conkeldurr: Bulky shit with priority that annoys Tar. My opponent often uses these against my Terrak lead. I rock first turn, they attack. I switch in Chomp to give them Rough SKin damage off their priority. EQ and sac the Chomp, at which point the poke can no longer come in in the future to rough up my Tar.
  • Lando: Often Chomp gets a free Dance against to get to +1 as the opponent think that Lando is an easy switch. :)
  • DD'ers, e.g. Nite, Zard X etc. Tar can serve as an emergency check, since it survives a +1 eq and can retaliate with Stone Edge
  • Greninja. Ugh, annoying! Often I go to Scizor for Ice beam. Bullet punch KOs, so they might switch. If originally at full health, Scizor can survive a Hydro pump and KO back with u-turn. Otherwise I must risk a speed tie with my own.
I really need help with fast special sweepers (Manectric, Greninja, etc), fairies (Clef) and FUCKING QUAGSIRE THIS KILLS ME. Also, improvements for Scizor please!!

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Yo nice team the linear curve!!! as for checks against manectric and greninja you might want to change the lum berry on choice scarf and change dragon claw to outrage which hits anything that doesn't resistit it very hard. Also you could change spikes on greninja to gunk shot to get better coverage. Since scizor is banded you night want to change u-turn to bug bite to benefit from technician boost.

Hope I helped glhf battling :D

Hey nice mega ttar team, I haven't seen on in ages! For your Greninja i'd say Grass Knot>Extrasensory to lure in and weaken bulky water for Ttar, you could also try Life orb on Garchomp for more immediate wallbreaking power.

Hey, cool team!
One minor thing which I saw:
Your Terrakion has 30 Ivs in Attack and Defense and the Nature Hasty which you only need if you're using HP Ice.
So you should change it to 31 Ivs in Attack and Defense and Jolly if you're not planning in implementing that.

Hey, thanks for the support and feedback.

Disciple: I disagree for Chomp, since the whole point for the SD set is to take on steels, bulky waters other than Quagsire and even Lando to some extent. I hate being locked in outrage, too. Also, Scizor's Uturn is purely for momentum, I dont plan on killing stuff with it. Otherwise I'd use a specs Tran (i've experimented with that, not too good I find) Putting poison on Ninja seems to be a good idea, as fairies are a problem, but is that legal?

Casectiv: For Chomp the Lum Berry is really important to beat waters fishing for the scald burn, and pokes with will-o. I have replaced extrasenory for grass knot on Ninja, good point. Thanks!

Fulllifegames: Thanks for that, I think I had experimented with HP ice at some point in the past, but found taunt more useful. I have fixed that up.

Still need help with Quagsire (which just switches out of Ninja 99% of the time), fairies, and the stupid scizor mispredictions.

Yo nice team the linear curve!!! as for checks against manectric and greninja you might want to change the lum berry on choice scarf and change dragon claw to outrage which hits anything that doesn't resistit it very hard. Also you could change spikes on greninja to gunk shot to get better coverage. Since scizor is banded you night want to change u-turn to bug bite to benefit from technician boost.

Hope I helped glhf battling :D
Greninja does not get gunk shot in XY, it only gets it in ORAS, and this is an XY OU team. Scizor should be running u-turn over bug bite. Bug bite is a horrible move to be locked into, considering how bug and steel have pretty bad coverage. U-turn is a much better move, grabbing momentum for the team, and being able to choose who you switch into on predicted switches.

Anyways, hello there and nice team. This looks like a pretty cool team, but it lacks a way of getting rid of hazards. You also have a mega ttar, which sets up sand, so why not slap on an excadrill to spin away hazards, and work as a secondary win condition. This also helps against greninja and mega manectric (if sand is up). I think you should remove scizor for excadrill, because as you mentioned, it's the weak link of the team, and it works as your fairy killer. Excadrill serves the same purpose, demolishing fairies with STAB Iron Head. Here is the set that I recommend:

Excadrill @ Air Balloon/Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Rapid spin allows you to remove SR which whittles away thundurus's health very quickly, and under sand, it can often sweep.
That's about it, hope I helped your team!! n_n

sick team but one thing i see is that you team gets hard walled by mega venusaur. Id suggest to run one of the lati twins as it gets the oppurtunity to defog and k can switch into a keldeo which you also have trouble against. Having priority is nice to revenge kill alot of things which is where scizor fits. Other cHanges i can recomend is to keep twave on thunderus since your only form of priority is bullet punch. Twave can neutralize alot of threats. Greninja should have hpgrass over grass knot just to hit rotom wash since it completely walls this set. Other than that your team is really solid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)