OU Cores in the BW2 Metagame

This core looks interesting. What kind of team mates, should be used to make this core work? Would this work well in a weather team, such as rain etc? Or would it work better in a weatherless team. I'm interested in making a team, out of this.
It looks like it would work well on a Rain team with Thunder > Thunderbolt on Starmie and Aqua Tail > Fire Punch on Dragonite.

Slowbro @ Leftovers | Regenerator
Bold | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
~ Scald
~ Psychic
~ Slack Off
~ Flamethrower

Amoonguss @ Leftovers | Regenerator
Calm | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
~ Spore
~ Giga Drain
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Clear Smog

Amoongus can switch-into Electric and Grass-type moves aimed towards Slowbro, while the latter can switch into Fire, Ice and Psychic type attacks aimed towards Amoongus. Slowbro walls pretty much everything on the physical side, and Amoonguss walls everything on the special side. Thanks to Regenerator, both these guys can repetitively switch into attacks, and gain health when switching out. Additionally, Amoonguss' Spore incapacitates an opponent for pretty much the whole match, which is great.
I use this, but stun spore over clear smog and I add in Heatran (stealth rocks, lava plume, toxic, protect)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Cuban Vader, let me make this very clear.

DON'T DUMP CLEAR SMOG.

Clear Smog is probably Amoonguss's second most important moves, and it's not that far behind Spore. Being able to stop a setup sweeper in its tracks (and completely RUIN SmashPass) is too good to give up. In fact, I'd rather have it than Giga Drain, because without it you are complete setup bait once Sleep Clause has been activated.

Sorry for the size 7.

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Def / 228 SpD
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Tickle

Blissey @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Flamethrower

They are almost perfect. Ghost attacks go all to Blissey, while the infamous Fighting attacks go to Wobbuffet, which laughs at them. Wobbuffet traps things and that is ultra useful. It uses tickle over safeguard because Heal Bell heals all the possible status acquisitions, Tickle denies the effect of one Dragon Dance and leaves the opponent really weak to Physical attacks. Forcing a switch for setup for Physical attackers in the team. Blissey walls special, while Wobb tanks physical. Really nice synergy.

PS: Wish passing from Blissey to Wobb is IDEAL. Extending Wobb life is a bless, better saying a Wish.

Cuban Vader, let me make this very clear.

DON'T DUMP CLEAR SMOG.

Clear Smog is probably Amoonguss's second most important moves, and it's not that far behind Spore. Being able to stop a setup sweeper in its tracks (and completely RUIN SmashPass) is too good to give up. In fact, I'd rather have it than Giga Drain, because without it you are complete setup bait once Sleep Clause has been activated.

Sorry for the size 7.
I'll be honest, I did hold this opinion, but I played for a total of 5-6 hours with it on and never used it. The team has been doing well and hasn't had problems without it. That being said, I will be sure to slap it back on and try it out again

Since most of the cores posted are defensive, I thought I would post an offensive core I've had much success with on the ladder

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Adamant I Clear Body
EV's: 252HP / 220Atk / 36Spd
Meteor Mash/ Zen Headbutt/ Bullet Punch/ Earthquake

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid I Natural Cure
EV's: 4Def/ 252SpA/ 252Spd
Rapid Spin/ Surf/ Ice Beam/ Thunderbolt

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant I Multiscale
EV's: 8HP/ 248Atk/ 252Spd
ExtremeSpeed/ Fire Punch / Superpower/ Outrage

Dragonite and Metagross have amazing synergy together and work together to blow holes in the opposition. Starmie is used to maximize Dragonite's switch ins and beat the Physical walls that annoy the dua such as Skarmory and Gliscor. Starmie also doubles as a burn absorber and Metagross can take T-Wave and Toxic without an issue so status isn't a great worry for this core either
This looks like it could actually work really well. Everything minus starmie is a bit slow though.

The biggest problem with Amoongbro is Hydreigon. Hydreigon absolutely destroys Slowbro, and Amoongbro needs rain to be up to stand a chance against the black dragon (and even so is 2HKO'd by draco meteor so it's dead weight if it attempts to switch in). It's not good to have a defensive core than can be dismantled by a single Poke.

The biggest problem with Amoongbro is Hydreigon. Hydreigon absolutely destroys Slowbro, and Amoongbro needs rain to be up to stand a chance against the black dragon (and even so is 2HKO'd by draco meteor so it's dead weight if it attempts to switch in). It's not good to have a defensive core than can be dismantled by a single Poke.
Well this is where team support comes in. Heatran can take on Hydreigon, except for focus blast, while Amoongus and Slowbro can tank that. Not to mention that with Regenerator Amoongus and Slowbro can bring down Hydrigon's special attack if it's spamming Draco Meteor.

Seriously not every core is a 2 man army other pokemon exist on the team. Infernape doesn't make Skarm-Bliss any less valid, you run a check or you know something for infernape.

Also note how ever your Heatran example can still check a Hydregion:

vs focus blast: (74.28 - 87.79%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
superpower: Superpower: 57.66 - 68.05%

Can actually take one of either hit, admittedly not the best option, but still a check. Hygregion isn't exactly the most popular pokemon either, its always hovering in mid OU, and ive played the BW meta and its still in the area. Who the hell uses earth power anyway.

Hydregion is rather disappointing anyway as a sweeper I hate to tell you, true few things can come in on a well predicted move, but almost anything with decent bulk can take a hit and basically kill it off as a check, Politoed for example or pretty much anything after you use draco meteor.

Hydregion can make an excellent wall breaker though, I am not saying its bad, its a solid pokemon. But it again doesn't really sweep unless your facing a frail team and you can get in sub, and even then you lose that sexy coverage. An solid pokemon, but not unlike amoonguss and slowbro it needs teammates.

hydreigon isn't fast enough to sweep...it's fantastic at punching holes in teams and defensive cores with its vast movepool and offensive power, but it's not really going to take on a whole team by itself.

Asek

Banned deucer.
This core looks interesting. What kind of team mates, should be used to make this core work? Would this work well in a weather team, such as rain etc? Or would it work better in a weatherless team. I'm interested in making a team, out of this.
I don't use weather but it would work very well in rain as I think about just like DrunkDemon said. Its great at helping SD Lucario sweep so consider that as a teammate.
This looks like it could actually work really well. Everything minus starmie is a bit slow though.
Priority moves FTW:toast: But yeah my Priority bypasses my low speed issues

Hydreigon isn't common, but I wouldn't say the biggest problem for AmoongBro is Hydreigon I would say it is generic sun teams. Venusaur with Sun up Hurts them both and if its running bulk over Power it can always put Amoongus out with Sleep Powder. Not to mention Volcarona and the rare Lilligant. Heatran as Arcticblast said is the best partner for them and some people pair the core with Torndaus-T but a 4 man core is a bit too big

The Core I have been using is this:

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb/ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
Naive/Hasty
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Superpower/Focus Blast
-Grass Knot
You can drop a coverage move for Tbolt/Thunder if you want.

With this set there are only a handful of reliable counters in OU which consist of Jirachi, Latias, Chansey/Blissey, and Ferrothorn (Unless you opt for Focus Blast). Everything else risks a 2HKO and the faster threats that avoid the OHKO lack sufficient recovery to allow them to switch in more than once. Fortunately, there is a very popular OU mon that can deal quite well with almost all of these threats.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 SpD
Adament
-Bullet Punch
-U turn
-Pursuit
-Superpower

The infamous Choice Band Scizor can make quick work of most of counters listed above. On top of that he possesses the strongest U turn to match Thundurus T's unparalleled Volt Switch giving you the hardest hitting Volt Turn in OU. On top of that, Scizor has the mighty Bullet Punch that smites many of the fast, yet frail, revenge killers used to scare off Thundurus T. He can even make sure they don't escape by a well timed Pursuit. All that is left to make sure you put on your team is a Rapid Spinner and a user of Stealth Rock. (Donphan and Forretress can fill both of these roles)

Since most of the cores posted are defensive, I thought I would post an offensive core I've had much success with on the ladder

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Adamant I Clear Body
EV's: 252HP / 220Atk / 36Spd
Meteor Mash/ Zen Headbutt/ Bullet Punch/ Earthquake

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid I Natural Cure
EV's: 4Def/ 252SpA/ 252Spd
Rapid Spin/ Surf/ Ice Beam/ Thunderbolt

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant I Multiscale
EV's: 8HP/ 248Atk/ 252Spd
ExtremeSpeed/ Fire Punch / Superpower/ Outrage

Dragonite and Metagross have amazing synergy together and work together to blow holes in the opposition. Starmie is used to maximize Dragonite's switch ins and beat the Physical walls that annoy the duo such as Skarmory and Gliscor. Starmie also doubles as a burn absorber and Metagross can take T-Wave and Toxic without an issue so status isn't a great worry for this core either
I used this core but with Keldeo instead of Starmie. The lack of a spinner kinda sucks but I don't find Starmie a very good spinner anyway. I also tried scarf Keldeo since I don't like to use a team without a scarfer and didn't want to add antoher offensive pokemon,like to have a defensive core of 3 pokes. Haven't tested it out too much but it's been working out so far.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
I've been using this Volt-Turn core so far:

Thundurus-T (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge/Mach Punch

It's pretty amazing. They are both frail, but cover their weakness rather well, when the attacks are unSTABbed and/or weak. Infernape takes the Ice-type attacks that Thundurus dislikes, while Thundurus takes Ground and Flying-type attacks, while at same time destroying the Water-types that Infernape cannot touch. Regardless, this is an offensive core, not a defensive core created to cover each other's weakness.

I tried to use Thundurus with Superpower, but I found that Superpower was too weak even against it's main targets: the pink blobs. So, I dropped it in favor of Focus Blast, and left this work of destroying the pink blobs to Infernape. Volt Switch completes the VoltTurn core and Thunderbolt is another Electric-type attack that is more powerful and doesn't force Thundurus to switch. Hidden Power Ice forms a pseudo-BoltBeam combination, while Focus Blast is used against things like Magnezone, Tyranitar and Ferrothorn. It's accuracy is so shitty that I rarely use this move, however; even when I can destroy the target with Focus Blast, sometimes I opt to leave this work to Infernape.

Infernape doesn't receive STAB on U-Turn, but it's versatility compensate for this. Overheat is an attack that hits ridiculously hard even Hippowdon, and has amazing synergy with U-Turn, as after the SpA drop, I can just U-Turn and reset the drops. Also, I don't even need to switch after the drop since Infernape has 3 other attacks that are physical, so aren't affected by the SpA drop. Close Combat is it's most powerful and consistent attack, Stone Edge destroy Flying-types that think that they can deal with Infernape, and opposing Fire-types that could wall Infernape. Mach Punch can also be used because of priority, but I prefer to use Stone Edge so Infernape can deal itself with Flying-types instead of leaving this to Thundurus.

This core is just amazing and effective. Infernape takes what Thundurus cannot take and vice-versa. I was able to counter the Ammongus-Slowbro core very well; I simply try to avoid Spore, then roast Ammongus with Overheat, and when Slowbro comes, I U-Turn on Slowbro and switch to Thundurus, wich zaps Slowbro with Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. This is an hypothetical situation, of course, as a team is not only made of a core. Regardless, the very few other threats that this duo cannot take well, the rest of my team can take, but this is not Rate my Team, so I am just showing my version of the Volt-Turn core.

I have been using this defensive core to some succes its focus is to get hazards up with Forretress and Heatran while Spin blocking with Jellicent this core is quite versatile and can fit in any weather effect. The cores secondary goal is to spread burn which could be taken advantage of for set up sweepers in your team or if your team is just full stall! Another awesome thing is the typing synergy and synergy of abilities As Foretress lures a flash fir boost for Heatran and Heatran lures water absorb recovery for Jellicent. The only real trouble this core has is against Thunderous-T so it is advised to pair up this core with a Thunderous counter of your own.

Deez Nutz (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Protect
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Foretress sets up the spikes and spins away hazards thats its most important roles. It is also a great Physical wall that can lure in a flash fire boost for Heatran.

Hotty (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar

Heatran sets up Stealth Rocks has great speciall bulk and can hopefully spread burn with Lava Plume. As a speciall wall it apprieciates the burning the opponents team alot. It Also acts as a phazer so your opponent cant set up on this core it also helps rack up hazard damage. He also lures water absorb recovery for Jellicent.

Stache (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Scald / Surf
- Recover

Jellicent is the spinblocker making sure my hazards dont get spun. He also acts as the major burn spreader due to having will-o-wisp and even scald! It has acces to recovery and uses taunt to stop apposing walls in doing what they do and a secondary method to stop set up sweepers along with Heatrans roar.

I have tested another Core that worked out pretty well:

- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn lays Spikes and Seed and can switch in on a lot of attacks. It covers Claydol's water, grass, ghost and dark weaknesses.
Claydol sets up Stealth Rock and acts as a Spinner, and has great immunities to Electric and Ground attacks. Plus it covers the fighting weakness of Ferrothorn.

Between them they resist a lot. But some Pokemon can still get through this combination. For example, Hydreigon doesn't fear them and can OHKO with Dark Pulse or Fire Blast. Although most of the listed cores die to Hydreigon, so it's not really a flaw. In fact this core is somewhat weak to Fire attacks as Claydol doesn't like them much either. However, I usually combine them with:

As she resists Fire attacks and can take care of threats like Hydreigon using Ice Beam or Dragon Tail.

-__- Thundurus-T meets Latias, which walls it easily, outspeeds non-Scarfed versions (Scarf HP Ice doesn't get close to a 2HKO) and can set up Calm Minds. Please try to read what I say before saying I'm wrong.
And if you bothered to read what I posted, which you obviously didn't, you said latias OR spdef amoongus, which is what I calced

This is a neat offensive paring that will hopefully grow popular. I made it for the base of a Drag Mag Team except they can be partnered on sand teams and rain teams also.

Landorus-T (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock/ Super Power
- Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

These two Pokemon are only apart of a core that help cripple teams with their power and advantages. You can use them in almost all weathers with nice offensive teams. Whether you are Volt Turning to Haxorus, Terrakion, Tornadus T, or Keldeo these two Pokemon add a lot to any offensive team's synergy. I personally use them on a rain team right now. Hopefully people will understand that this is probably the best way to abuse Landorus T's amazing power and his great ability. Of course bulkier variants will probably work too, but Choice Band is definitely they way.

This is a neat offensive paring that will hopefully grow popular. I made it for the base of a Drag Mag Team except they can be partnered on sand teams and rain teams also.

Landorus-T (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock/ Super Power
- Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

These two Pokemon are only apart of a core that help cripple teams with their power and advantages. You can use them in almost all weathers with nice offensive teams. Whether you are Volt Turning to Haxorus, Terrakion, Tornadus T, or Keldeo these two Pokemon add a lot to any offensive team's synergy. I personally use them on a rain team right now. Hopefully people will understand that this is probably the best way to abuse Landorus T's amazing power and his great ability. Of course bulkier variants will probably work too, but Choice Band is definitely they way.
Why not run regular CB Landorus? It has a sand force boost, and is much more speedier. Also, if you're going to use a scarf magnezone in rain why run HP fire? It won't KO ferrothorn. It will leech seed/thunder wave/set up hazards while you desperately try to kill it. In rain, I prefer a sub-charge beam set, to fully abuse ferrothorn's helplessness.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Also, if using Choice Scarf, then Magneton would be speedier than Magnezone. (Higher base speed ;) )

tehy

Banned deucer.
I have been using this defensive core to some succes its focus is to get hazards up with Forretress and Heatran while Spin blocking with Jellicent this core is quite versatile and can fit in any weather effect. The cores secondary goal is to spread burn which could be taken advantage of for set up sweepers in your team or if your team is just full stall! Another awesome thing is the typing synergy and synergy of abilities As Foretress lures a flash fir boost for Heatran and Heatran lures water absorb recovery for Jellicent. The only real trouble this core has is against Thunderous-T so it is advised to pair up this core with a Thunderous counter of your own.

Deez Nutz (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Protect
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Foretress sets up the spikes and spins away hazards thats its most important roles. It is also a great Physical wall that can lure in a flash fire boost for Heatran.

Hotty (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar

Heatran sets up Stealth Rocks has great speciall bulk and can hopefully spread burn with Lava Plume. As a speciall wall it apprieciates the burning the opponents team alot. It Also acts as a phazer so your opponent cant set up on this core it also helps rack up hazard damage. He also lures water absorb recovery for Jellicent.

Stache (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Scald / Surf
- Recover

Jellicent is the spinblocker making sure my hazards dont get spun. He also acts as the major burn spreader due to having will-o-wisp and even scald! It has acces to recovery and uses taunt to stop apposing walls in doing what they do and a secondary method to stop set up sweepers along with Heatrans roar.
We meet again, but this time with a full description of the core, which still shows me how little it really walls, meaning a good offensive team will tear it apart. It's all right against stall teams, but even then they'll just set up hazards and go to town on forretress and heatran. Also, if you want a healing move on forretress, pain split over protect one hundred percent. That also gives it a way to actually hurt things, in a way. I still can't emphasize enough how almost any sweeper i can think of has his way with this core, which ironically is made up of 3 very bulky, usually used on stall team pokemon.

Why not run regular CB Landorus? It has a sand force boost, and is much more speedier. Also, if you're going to use a scarf magnezone in rain why run HP fire? It won't KO ferrothorn. It will leech seed/thunder wave/set up hazards while you desperately try to kill it. In rain, I prefer a sub-charge beam set, to fully abuse ferrothorn's helplessness.
He is using it on a Rain Team that is why Landorus-T is more viable than Landorus with a Choice Band in this situation. I understand what you're saying about HP Fire in the rain, but it is the only way Ferrothorn is beaten. I have used a Ferrothorn against a SUbCharge Magnezone and i still beat him out because of Leech Seed.

Landorus-T @ Choice Band
Evs: 252Atk/252Spd/4Def
Nature:Adamant/Jolly
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Superpower/Brick Break
-U-Turn

Landorus is an amazing defensive pivot to most physical attackers such as Terrakion, Landorus, Lucario etc... With an adamant nature his attack rockets to 640, which will blow a hole in almost any switch in. He also makes a great scout due to U-Turn.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
Evs: 252SpAtk/252Spd/4Def
Nature: Modest/Timid
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Trick/Thunderbolt

Rotom-W is well known as an excellent scout with plenty of bulk and raw power. Not only can Rotom hit hard with two excellent stab options but it can choose whether to be locked in or not with Trick.

These two form a formidible core similiar to that of Scrotom with such advantages as:
-Excellent Defensive Synergy and unresisted overall coverage
-Both hit hard on opposite sides of the attacking spectrum with powerful stabs
-Both are extremely difficult to set up on due to Trick and Intimidate
-As a duo, they can efficiently deal with premier defensive cores such as Skarmbliss and Ferrocent (Rotom-W taking care of Skarmory/Jellicent and Landorus-T taking care of Blissey/Ferrothorn with Superpower)
-Both pokes can perform Late game sweeps with Hydro Pump and Earthquake respectively
-The coveted Volt-Turn Offense with more speed than most Volt-Turn cores
-Rotom Deals with almost every flying type and floating steel which clears a path for landorus to Break Through the opposing team
-Their Combined effort can easily handle any steel type in OU which can aid in the sweep of such dragons as Dragonite, Haxorus, Salamence etc...

I believe this core could become very popular in BW 2 as they can handle the majority of the OU community if played aroung correctly.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
He is using it on a Rain Team that is why Landorus-T is more viable than Landorus with a Choice Band in this situation. I understand what you're saying about HP Fire in the rain, but it is the only way Ferrothorn is beaten. I have used a Ferrothorn against a SUbCharge Magnezone and i still beat him out because of Leech Seed.
You've got it exactly right. If leech seed is put up against a magnezone in the rain, ferrothorn's already won, especially if it has protect. The only way to beat ferrothorn is to have a Sub up when it leech seeds, otherwise Magnezone is always beaten by power whip. It simply can't take down enough health with HP fire to beat out ferro's leech seed recovery.

Under a sub, ferro's power whip does not break zone's sub. It takes about 2 whips to break zone's sub. Yes, it is true that once zone has leech seed up it's pretty much over for zone. But, if it has a sub, then it might win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)