OU Baton Pass Offensive

This is actually an old team of mine that I'd forgotten about that I've recently found in my files and revamped a little bit. x'D

The Lead.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Close Combat
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-U-turn

Infernape is a great lead personally. With the ability to hinder the opponents ability to lay down rocks and put down some hurt with Close Combat, what could I dislike? U-turn is obviously to lay some damage on the escape, or just use on the likes of Azelf and go from there.

The Sword Passer.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
252 HP/ 40 Def/ 216 Spe
Nature: Impish
-Baton Pass
-Earthquake
-Roost
-Swords Dance

I made sure that this guy had enough physical bulk to get off at least one Swords Dance before the pass, and this bulky bat performs. Usually after an SD I Baton Pass to one of my attacking monsters which you will soon be acquainted with. He is also my resident Lucario killer.

The Sweeper.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Waterfall

Once set up this guy is a monster on the offense. I chose Ice Fang over Stone Edge due to the fact that I have other checks for Gyarados and I don't have particularly good luck with Stone Edge to begin with. Plus it allows me to take out dragons on the switch in.

The Revenge Killer.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Superpower
-U-turn

I'll be honest, more times than not my SD pass generally goes out to this guy for the sweep, realistically so no one can claim that I'm of no skill for using the SD variant of Scizor, honestly the way I usually use it nothing stands a chance after a boosted Bullet Punch, cheap yes, effective hell yes.

The Substitute Passer.

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Baton Pass
-Hidden Power (Grass)
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt

Set up avoid switching out on those pesky little Swampert, by the time that I whip this guy out I've more than got the match under wraps. Though he is effective at what I've designated his to do so I can't complain. Let's just say Swampert tremble in fear after I'm done with them.

The Fat Fuck.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
80 Atk/ 252 Def/ 176 SpD
Nature: Careful
-Protect
-Seismic Toss
-Toxic
-Wish

Before I start, yes I hate this thing for the life of me. But god It's effective at what it does. I usually end up switching this into Heatran and Magnezone so Seismic Toss is the superior option, though It used to be Calm with Fire Blast.

Realistically I don't really know why this team works, but It does. So hack away, If I can improve this beast anymore then so be it. Though I will say that I seem to get quite a number RAGEQUIT's so maybe my recent wins with this new (old) finding of mine aren't actually because my team is any good.

I've just started playing this team within the hour and have seen no losses with a score of... 5-0 thus far.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a few quick things, first of all your better off with Yache on Gliscor.

Second, i suggest swamping a Poke for Dual screen Bronzong which will help you Bp more boosts and an easier sweep, however not necisarry, it DS seems to help most BP boost passers, just my 2 cents.

You have only one taunter, and that's the flimsy lead Infernape. You have no way to counter other Taunts, Whirlwinds, or Roars that can easily ruin your game.

If you're set on Baton Pass teams, fit in a Smeargle with Ingrain to stop phazing attempts. Look into Ninjask to have both a Swords Dance and Speed Boosts in one pass.

You have only one taunter, and that's the flimsy lead Infernape. You have no way to counter other Taunts, Whirlwinds, or Roars that can easily ruin your game.

If you're set on Baton Pass teams, fit in a Smeargle with Ingrain to stop phazing attempts. Look into Ninjask to have both a Swords Dance and Speed Boosts in one pass.
I've used Ninjask previously and have personally found that Pokemon to be far more that just broken that flimsy bug just can't hold up to my play style... I will change my LeadApe soon though I've just not gotten around to and am honestly to lazy to do it at the moment.

Hello:

I like Baton Pass teams, and it's nice to see one use Jolteon as a SubPasser for a change. I've got a few comments I want to make that should hopefully improve with your success for the team. I think these suggestions will improve the general quality of your team, make it more reliable, and yet will keep the essence of the team as you have it now.

First, if you want to ensure that Gliscor is your Lucario counter, you are going to need to run a Jolly nature instead of an Impish nature. This puts you at 308 Speed, just enough to outpace Jolly Lucario. Your Gliscor also really wants Taunt so that it can avoid being set up on by Pokemon like Gyarados. You should also run Hyper Cutter so things like Intimidate don't ruin your Swords Dances. Run the following set:

Gliscor @ Yache Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Spe
~ Swords Dance
~ Baton Pass
~ Earthquake
~ Taunt / Roost

You really need Taunt more than Roost if you're baton passing primarily to stop phazers and setup sweepers, but Roost is still a reasonable option if you absolutely need Gliscor to stay healthy over the course of a match. Yache is primary because you aren't running Rock Polish, and you really need to be able to get that Swords Dance passed out. If you run Dual Screens as I suggest below, you can consider Leftovers for some lasting bulk.

I'd also like to recommend that you choose a different Pokemon to initial pass to other than Scizor. Scizor is an awesome Pokemon, but he really only has a few worthwhile moves for coverage, and you're especially better off not being locked into any of them after investing your Gliscor's Swords Dance pass on it. I'd like to recommend Metagross over your current Scizor for the recipient - particularly Agiligross since your Gliscor isn't passing Rock Polish.

Metagross @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 132 Spe
~ Agility
~ Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake
~ Thunderpunch

You don't need Ice Punch since you'll pass it +2 Attack and then Meteor Mash will obliterate things like Salamence and Latias after an Agility. Thunderpunch keeps Gyarados, particularly bulky variants, from stopping your sweep. Leftovers is an option since you're passing it boosts, but if your pass fails, LO will still let it sweep later on when the opportunity presents itself. Also, with LO and +2, it obliterates basically everything.

Lastly, you might also find that a dual screens lead like Azelf is worth looking into. Right now, your Infernape lead isn't doing a lot for you besides getting up rocks. It doesn't actually prevent SR that well, since both Aerodactyl and Azelf can still set them up after your Fake Out.

My last major suggestion to the team is to run a Dual Screen Azelf as a lead. This will throw down screens so that your Gliscor has an easier time securing 1, maybe 2, SD boosts before sending them to Metagross, who will then appreciate the tail end of the screens for securing its Agility and sweep.

Azelf @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
~ Stealth Rock / Explosion
~ Taunt

Cheers and good luck with the team!

First, if you want to ensure that Gliscor is your Lucario counter, you are going to need to run a Jolly nature instead of an Impish nature. This puts you at 308 Speed, just enough to outpace Jolly Lucario. Your Gliscor also really wants Taunt so that it can avoid being set up on by Pokemon like Gyarados. You should also run Hyper Cutter so things like Intimidate don't ruin your Swords Dances. Run the following set:

Gliscor @ Yache Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Spe
~ Swords Dance
~ Baton Pass
~ Earthquake
~ Taunt / Roost

You really need Taunt more than Roost if you're baton passing primarily to stop phazers and setup sweepers, but Roost is still a reasonable option if you absolutely need Gliscor to stay healthy over the course of a match. Yache is primary because you aren't running Rock Polish, and you really need to be able to get that Swords Dance passed out. If you run Dual Screens as I suggest below, you can consider Leftovers for some lasting bulk.
Use Taunt over Roost. Also, ditch Earthquake. Use Rock Polish. Pass both +2 Attack and +2 Speed to Metagross, and watch it run through entire teams. Also, the Gliscor set is all (well, maybe not all wrong, but a lot) wrong. This is what you want.

Gliscor (M) @ Yache Berry
Type: Ground/Flying
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 HP | 196 SpD | 60 Spe​

~ Swords Dance ~
~ Rock Polish ~
~ Taunt ~
~ Baton Pass ~​

That set works perfectly at passing both Swords Dance and Rock Polish. After a single Rock Polish, you'll out-speed Choice Scarf Latias, which like to come in and try and Trick you. Behind Light Screen, Choice Scarf Surf is a 3HKO, iirc.

I'd also like to recommend that you choose a different Pokemon to initial pass to other than Scizor. Scizor is an awesome Pokemon, but he really only has a few worthwhile moves for coverage, and you're especially better off not being locked into any of them after investing your Gliscor's Swords Dance pass on it. I'd like to recommend Metagross over your current Scizor for the recipient - particularly Agiligross since your Gliscor isn't passing Rock Polish.
Change Gliscor to the set I just mentioned above, and you have no need to run Agility on Metagross.

Metagross @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 132 Spe
~ Agility
~ Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake
~ Thunderpunch

You don't need Ice Punch since you'll pass it +2 Attack and then Meteor Mash will obliterate things like Salamence and Latias after an Agility. Thunderpunch keeps Gyarados, particularly bulky variants, from stopping your sweep. Leftovers is an option since you're passing it boosts, but if your pass fails, LO will still let it sweep later on when the opportunity presents itself. Also, with LO and +2, it obliterates basically everything.[/Quote]

Once again, close, but no.

Metagross (U) @ Muscle Band
Type: Steel/Psychic
EV's: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe​

~ Meteor Mash ~
~ Thunderpunch ~
~ Zen Headbutt ~
~ Earthquake ~

That is the kind of set you want to run with the Gliscor I suggested, or any Baton Pass Gliscor to be honest. The only thing that set can't OHKO is Skarmory, Scizor, and Swampert. All of that is solved by Swords Dancing twice and passing. Meteor Mash, at +2 and Stealth Rock damage, destroys Cresselia, along with a multitude of other things. Zen Headbutt ends Machamp and Flygon. Earthquake attacks Scizor, and Jirachi. ThunderPunch kills Gyarados and Suicune. Muscle Band keeps the OHKOs at OHKO level, without the recoil of Life Orb damage. Metagross works perfectly with Gliscor, since it can easily take any Ice-type attacks sent Gliscor's way.

Lastly, you might also find that a dual screens lead like Azelf is worth looking into. Right now, your Infernape lead isn't doing a lot for you besides getting up rocks. It doesn't actually prevent SR that well, since both Aerodactyl and Azelf can still set them up after your Fake Out.

My last major suggestion to the team is to run a Dual Screen Azelf as a lead. This will throw down screens so that your Gliscor has an easier time securing 1, maybe 2, SD boosts before sending them to Metagross, who will then appreciate the tail end of the screens for securing its Agility and sweep.

Azelf @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
~ Stealth Rock / Explosion
~ Taunt

Cheers and good luck with the team!
I disagree with Azelf being made into a Dual Sceen Pokemon. I say, change Azelf into a straight Suicide Lead

Azelf (U) @ Focus Sash
Type: Psychic
Nature: Naive
EV's: 6 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe​

~ Psychic ~
~ Taunt ~
~ Stealth Rock ~
~ Explosion ~

and make room for this Pokemon.

Cresselia (F) @ Light Clay
Type: Psychic
Nature: Bold
EV's: 252 HP | 60 Def | 152 Spe | 44 SpD​

~ Light Screen ~
~ Reflect ~
~ Ice Beam ~
~ Lunar Dance ~

Light Screen and Reflect are obvious moves. Cresselia always comes in right after Azelf has died (by Explosion or otherwise) and sets up an appropriate Screen. It then goes for the other Screen, then swaps out for Gliscor. Ice Beam is for weakened Dragons that try to waltz in and set up, only to be booted right back out. Lunar Dance is a last ditch move. If Metagross has died unexpectedly, then I go right back to Cresselia. From there, if I have enough HP, I'll set up a Screen (both if I'm lucky), then use Lunar Dance. Then I'll send the HP to Gliscor and begin the entire process again.

For more references, see this thread...http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2340656#post2340656

I used, literally, almost the same exact team as you are now. I'm not gonna try and claim plagiarism, or anything stupid like that. I'm just letting you know because I've used this kind of team before, and I know it's weakness. This team would have taken me to the Leaderboard, had that (complete asshole) then-mod, Goofball not banned me at the last minute.

P.S: With Reflect and Yache Berry, Swords Dance Lucario won't be doing any real damage to your Gliscor. If they send in Lucario after realizing that Gliscor is a Baton Passer, then you should have already used Rock Polish, and then, as they use Ice Punch, Swords Dance. Pass to Metagross/Gyarados and kill Lucario. Problem solved.

whoever your recievre is shouldn't be holding a choice item. if a poke switches in to take the move you are locked into, then you will have to switch out ruining your baton pass

.Diclonius, the idea of posting in an RMT is not to convert the team entirely into a completely different team. I am sure that he could indeed outright copy what you did in your RMT with your Cresselia and standard Azelf, and I've suggested carbon copy of the SU sets on Gliscor and Metagross to numerous other RMTs, but the goal isn't to remake their team. Generally speaking, if you feel the need to do so, you shouldn't.

That aside, I've always preferred an all out Gliscor/Metagross pass combo under screens. Metagross could really use the extra coverage, and Gliscor honestly doesn't need Earthquake if it's passing +2/+2 to Metagross. Furthermore, your proposed Metagross EV spread is inefficient. With 252 Speed EVs, you hit 478 Speed, which is a waste. The absolute highest you'll want to run is enough to hit 450, which lets you outspeed neutral natured base 100's at +1. (Adamant Flygon and Mence are basically the only remotely seen members of that group) The rest should absolutely be dumped into HP for the added bulk.

However, consider that you are making a lot of assumptions about his team that are not completely founded. For instance, he is not running a "Pure Baton Pass" Gliscor, but a variant of the "Dancing Tank" Gliscor. A good combination for Dancing Tank Gliscor carrying Baton Pass and Taunt over Stone Edge and Roost is a Metagross that can Agility to run its own sweep as it can either perform its sweep standalone or with Gliscor's support. Gyarados makes an excellent teammate for both, taking the water-type attacks aimed at Gliscor and the ground-type and fire-type attacks aimed at Metagross and setting up on them all. That team combination is not the same as the one you are proposing, so nothing I said was wrong in the least - rather different and more in the vain of the original team.

KatamariLovesSpock is free to take your suggestions and convert his entire team, but I feel that your suggestions are not in the vain of the original concept of the team and should be secondary to those that are. I appreciate your post, however, but you should at least try to be less rude to people in general. Thanks and cheers.

lol. I think those are hp evs?

Other than what other people said, you might want to use Iron Plate Scizor, so you don't get choice-fuc-FORCED into switching. Iron Plate does practically the same thing with bullet punch spam, anyhow.

Nice team. Beware, my rates suck, even if they're "lol" with stuff at the end to justify posting.

EDIT: Make that ESPECIALLY.

Another Edit: Sheesh, that Infernape is pretty neat. *rips*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)