ORAS UU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the drop of Salamence to UU, and the recent suspect test, I got the chance to use one of my favorite pokemon in UU.

Mega Abomasnow
B+ -> A-

I think Megasnows matchup against a lot of what is popular in the current metagame is great. Abomasnow can 1v1 two of the three S rank mons in Suicune and Salamence:

252+ Atk Mega Abomasnow Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 192-228 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Salamence: 352-420 (106.3 - 126.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Suicune can't really hit back at Abomasnow much, and Salamence loses to priority so speed is not a factor.

However I think the biggest strength of Abomasnow comes in the form of late game cleaning. With access to a strong STAB priority move in Ice Shard and a very solid Attack stat, as well as whittling damage from Hail and surprising bulk, Abomasnow is a terror for teams in the late game. Generally, if there is hazard support and Abomasnow manages to get an SD up, there isn't terribly much that will take it out.

I believe A- is a good ranking for Mega Abomasnow due to the current metagame climate. Additionally, when thinking of using him, I was also considering the Serperior metagame, and how Snow matched up against it. Ice shard is a great answer to the snake if there is a moderate amount of prior damage.

The reason I do not recommend any higher for Abomasnow is due to the amount of support it needs. My general feeling is that solid A or A+ mons don't need much support if any at all, however Abomasnow greatly appreciates both hazard and steel removal (it can and does run Earthquake, however who are we kidding, that's doing nothing to the two most prominent steel types in the tier, MAggron and Forry).

One additional point in favor of Mega Abomasnow is its ability to run three different sets, all with their own level of viability, checks and counters which makes it a little harder to predict and play around. Physical, Special and Mixed. Hell, it has decent enough bulk and supporting movepool I think a support set might even be possible, but frankly it seems like it'd be a waste of a mega and the typing is a bit inhibiting.

Overall though, definitely think I'd recommend A-.

With the drop of Salamence to UU, and the recent suspect test, I got the chance to use one of my favorite pokemon in UU.

Mega Abomasnow
B+ -> A-

I think Megasnows matchup against a lot of what is popular in the current metagame is great. Abomasnow can 1v1 two of the three S rank mons in Suicune and Salamence:

252+ Atk Mega Abomasnow Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 192-228 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Salamence: 352-420 (106.3 - 126.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Suicune can't really hit back at Abomasnow much, and Salamence loses to priority so speed is not a factor.

However I think the biggest strength of Abomasnow comes in the form of late game cleaning. With access to a strong STAB priority move in Ice Shard and a very solid Attack stat, as well as whittling damage from Hail and surprising bulk, Abomasnow is a terror for teams in the late game. Generally, if there is hazard support and Abomasnow manages to get an SD up, there isn't terribly much that will take it out.

I believe A- is a good ranking for Mega Abomasnow due to the current metagame climate. Additionally, when thinking of using him, I was also considering the Serperior metagame, and how Snow matched up against it. Ice shard is a great answer to the snake if there is a moderate amount of prior damage.

The reason I do not recommend any higher for Abomasnow is due to the amount of support it needs. My general feeling is that solid A or A+ mons don't need much support if any at all, however Abomasnow greatly appreciates both hazard and steel removal (it can and does run Earthquake, however who are we kidding, that's doing nothing to the two most prominent steel types in the tier, MAggron and Forry).

One additional point in favor of Mega Abomasnow is its ability to run three different sets, all with their own level of viability, checks and counters which makes it a little harder to predict and play around. Physical, Special and Mixed. Hell, it has decent enough bulk and supporting movepool I think a support set might even be possible, but frankly it seems like it'd be a waste of a mega and the typing is a bit inhibiting.

I 100% agree with this nomination. I just want to point out that forry is not a counter to Aboma. Gyro Ball does minimal damage especially if a max HP variant Aboma with no speed.
0 Atk Forretress Gyro Ball (31 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Abomasnow: 60-72 (15.6 - 18.7%) -- possible 6HKO
+2 252+ Atk Mega Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 138-163 (39 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Mega Abomasnow
B+ -> A-

Another reason aboma should move up is rn fire types are getting beat down between mence, rantrum, and bulky waters are losing checks quite rapidly, especially if serperior gets banned. Aboma imo has one of the best typings for the current meta, grass to beat bulk waters and ice type really destroys so many teams especially with bulky waters being dealt with through grass typing and the high ass usage of bat, maero, mence, and serp if unbanned. I agree with just about everything you said just wanted to get more specific.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I also agree with moving Mega Abomasnow up a rank to A- Rank. Its typing is excellent offensively and Mega Abomasnow possesses great offensive power and good bulk. It has great STAB coverage with Ice and Grass, which together hit many things hard, especially several relevant threats in this metagame such as bulky Waters, Salamence, and Hydreigon. This allows Mega Abomasnow to prove a very potent offensive threat that is hard to switch into-it also has EQ to hit Darmanitan, Entei, and the like hard on the switch. Its typing has a lot of weaknesses defensively, including one to Rocks, but it also has nice resistances which in tandem with its good bulk allow it to take on several relevant threats such as bulky waters, Rotom-C, Heliolisk, and Krookodile to name a few. It's decently versatile in how you want it run-SD Mega Abomasnow is quite good and with priority Ice Shard it can hit Mega Aero and Salamence hard...and it also has Seed Bomb and EQ for the coverage and power. It can also run an outright offensive set and Blizzard will sting. Wood Hammer, Giga Drain, and HP Fire are also viable options as well.

On another topic, Snorlax should definitely rise, probably to A Rank. Its Curse set is a monster in this metagame, and once you do set up (which isn't terribly hard since Snorlax takes on most special attackers like Chandelure and Heliolisk like a champion), Snorlax is really hard to stop. All you need is Fighting-types and normal resists out of the picture, and Snorlax can just set up and become almost impossible to take down. With Curse and RestTalk, plus its ridiculous special bulk, it can become almost unstoppable and with some boosts, a Body Slam will hit hard. Its typing helps it too, as even though it has few resists (Thick Fat does give it some nice ones to Ice and Fire, which make it great at taking on Mega Abomasnow!), it has only one weakness so unless you have Fighting-types...well, good luck trying to stop it. Alternatively, it can also run Crunch or EQ to hit Ghost or Steel-types like Chandelure A Curse set isn't all it's got though, as it can run an outright offensive set with CB or AV to check stuff then hit back hard with its good firepower and coverage, which makes it nice as a tank. It's a good Pokemon and dangerous too and should probably be A Rank, A- would be acceptable too if people think that's too high for it.

Mega Pidgeot should probably be A+ Rank though. It's really, really good right now and it's definitely deserving of a raise imo. It has a great Speed tier (too bad it falls short of Aerodactyl though), and with a fast Hurricane that never misses, this thing just stomps on so many top tier threats in UU right now, such as Shaymin, Mienshao, Heracross, Chesnaught, and more. That's not all its Hurricane is good for, it's powerful in general and with its Speed, it can easily 2HKO a lot of stuff and it's hard to switch into and hard to stop. Mega Aggron exists but it falls to Heat Wave especially with its middling special bulk. Basically, this thing takes a huge dump on the meta with its Speed and power.

Slurpuff and Heliolisk could use a rise for reasons stated before, and I thought Braviary was going to be dropped???

Mega Pidgeot should probably be A+ Rank though. It's really, really good right now and it's definitely deserving of a raise imo. It has a great Speed tier (too bad it falls short of Aerodactyl though), and with a fast Hurricane that never misses, this thing just stomps on so many top tier threats in UU right now, such as Shaymin, Mienshao, Heracross, Chesnaught, and more. That's not all its Hurricane is good for, it's powerful in general and with its Speed, it can easily 2HKO a lot of stuff and it's hard to switch into and hard to stop. Mega Aggron exists but it falls to Heat Wave especially with its middling special bulk. Basically, this thing takes a huge dump on the meta with its Speed and power.

Slurpuff and Heliolisk could use a rise for reasons stated before, and I thought Braviary was going to be dropped???
Mega Pidgeot can have a hard time mega evolving which I think can keep it in A rank and Mega Aerodactyl is a bit too common imo. Perhaps if Mega Aerodactyl is removed Pidgeot could even be considered for S-Rank.

Sorry for slight lack of info I'm on my phone.

Fletchinder B -> B-/C
After using the son of smogon bird, I've found it to be quite underwhelming at doing its job, especially since it's stab move requires you to hold No Item for it to be effective, especially since it is an NFE. Even though it might have priority with it, if I want a strong flying type mon, I would go with cro or aero. WoW is nice , but is outcompeted with by Rotom H or C, Arcanine. SD is nice, but Lucario is a better SD sweeper. And being a fire type does not help it in a Crocune-meta. It is easily able to revenge kill hera, drill, or shape, but that is not as good of an ability considering cro can do that better. So lower Fletch

Sorry for slight lack of info I'm on my phone.

Fletchinder B -> B-/C
After using the son of smogon bird, I've found it to be quite underwhelming at doing its job, especially since it's stab move requires you to hold No Item for it to be effective, especially since it is an NFE. Even though it might have priority with it, if I want a strong flying type mon, I would go with cro or aero. WoW is nice , but is outcompeted with by Rotom H or C, Arcanine. SD is nice, but Lucario is a better SD sweeper. And being a fire type does not help it in a Crocune-meta. It is easily able to revenge kill hera, drill, or shape, but that is not as good of an ability considering cro can do that better. So lower Fletch
I happen to disagree with you a considerable amount. Fletchinder can be very effective with a bit of team support. Using Taunt > WoW can make it setup late game on things like florges and hippowdon making +2/+4 Acrobatics kill everything. As long as you have ways of eliminating its threats like Suicune and Rotom H Fletchinder can sweep very effectively. B in my opinion.

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, I've been using Fletch a good bit, and it's just as effective as ever. There are definitely some major issues with it, which is why I wouldn't rate it higher than B, but it can reliably set up on most Fairies and walls, forces switches on most Fighting types, and tends to tear through offensive teams with only a single boost. It requires team support and isn't as reliable as Hera or Mence as far as sweeping goes, but it's not so niche that it deserves B- rank IMO, much less C.

Cloyster: C -> B-

Checks high ranking Salamence and Mega Septile pretty well:
+1 252+ Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 198-234 (82.1 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cloyster: 160-189 (66.3 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Cloyster Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 280-336 (84.5 - 101.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Cloyster Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Sceptile: 300-352 (106.7 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It also counters most Crobats and some bulky ground types, whereas Mega Aerodactyl have to go for the risky stone edge to OHKO it (even then most Cloysters carry sash).
252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 250-300 (59.5 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 240-280 (62.5 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It can also run a mixed set with hydro pump to hit some physical walls like aggron.
Sure, it has a lot of weaknesses like stealth rock and terrible special defense, but I still think it deserve a better rank. (It beats
Mr. Flygon!)

229-mega.gif
Mega Houndoom C->B
Mega Houndoom dropped to C during the Mega Altaria meta, It's been 3 months since then. Why hasn't this risen? It's even better than late X+y when it was B rank because of the fall of scald and bulky waters. Seeing this thing below Braviary, the Porygons, Zoroak, Weezing, Meoletta, Mega Glalie, Haxorus and Normal Sharpedo is just flat out insulting. Doom may have it's flaws but so does every single mon in the meta! " but sweg Mega dactyl is dominant" team support is your answer. It literally says B ranks need team support in the description. Raise it please.

Attachments

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
View attachment 38387 Mega Houndoom C->B
Mega Houndoom dropped to C during the Mega Altaria meta, It's been 3 months since then. Why hasn't this risen? It's even better than late X+y when it was B rank because of the fall of scald and bulky waters. Seeing this thing below Braviary, the Porygons, Zoroak, Weezing, Meoletta, Mega Glalie, Haxorus and Normal Sharpedo is just flat out insulting. Doom may have it's flaws but so does every single mon in the meta! " but sweg Mega dactyl is dominant" team support is your answer. It literally says B ranks need team support in the description. Raise it please.
Okay 1. scald and bulky waters are still really good rn the no scald ladder is not official please do not use it to justify changes here.
2. An argument for a mon raising does not consist of "its better than these mons for no reason I gave!" and "It is good with support" please at least justify your noms with coherent thought. Also B rank mons may need support but there is a limit to that before they are C rank.
3 aka my real opinion: I do not agree with doom rising. While my opinion on the matter is not that strong I just don't see it being worth the mega slot in the current meta specifically mence, rantrum, and gatr beating it 1v1 plus a good amount of their checks being way better megas like maero.

Okay 1. scald and bulky waters are still really good rn the no scald ladder is not official please do not use it to justify changes here.
2. An argument for a mon raising does not consist of "its better than these mons for no reason I gave!" and "It is good with support" please at least justify your noms with coherent thought. Also B rank mons may need support but there is a limit to that before they are C rank.
3 aka my real opinion: I do not agree with doom rising. While my opinion on the matter is not that strong I just don't see it being worth the mega slot in the current meta specifically mence, rantrum, and gatr beating it 1v1 plus a good amount of their checks being way better megas like maero.
Getting beat by a mon in a 1v1 does not make something not eligible to rise. Heracross gets beat by Crobat, pidgeot, Mdactyl and Aerial ace mence in a 1v1 "oh so bad better make it C rank!"The following argument is not a reason to make something C rank. Mega Sceptile has some of the same problems as doom, checked by common mons. I'd like Mega Houndoom to raise to B and Mega sceptile to drop to B because they're in the same boat.

Getting beat by a mon in a 1v1 does not make something not eligible to rise. Heracross gets beat by Crobat, pidgeot, Mdactyl and Aerial ace mence in a 1v1 "oh so bad better make it C rank!"The following argument is not a reason to make something C rank. Mega Sceptile has some of the same problems as doom, checked by common mons. I'd like Mega Houndoom to raise to B and Mega sceptile to drop to B because they're in the same boat.
I find Houndoom quite underwhelming to be honest. I for sure do not think it should rise. There are a plethora of megas that are far more reliable and low-risk. Bulky waters are as prevalent as ever which stop this in its track as well as its mediocre defenses make houndoom incapable of setting nasty plots effectively(the only way houndoom can put in work). you can make the argument about every mon having checks so that Heracross argument was absurd. I agree M-Sceptile has the same problem and is higher on the rank than it should imo.

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
The difference is hera is a mon who beats just about every bulky water and is frankly is one of the best wall breakers in UU. Houndoom is outclassed as a mega and as a wall breaker by so many mons for instance I would say chandelure beats it at most of its abilities.
Edit: I could also see scept drop tbh

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gonna agree with TBMA and Christo Jere, as much as I loved my based Scooby team doom actually felt like a liability rather than something that consistently did work. Plus 2 dark pulses damage output is pathetic (and with vap and cune everywhere guess what you'll be spamming over fire blast) taunt nasty is easily its best set as a stallbreaker but why wouldn't I just use sub cm chandey who sets up much easier and is much more likely to give stall that "oh shit" moment

Just a reminder that Houndoom's Sunny Day set was always really cool and can do this to suicune:

252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune in Sun: 368-434 (91 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Bulky waters aren't the real issue, but considering Hydreigon is slightly less common doom could move up a notch, but I'd like to test it out a little first.

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
Just a reminder that Houndoom's Sunny Day set was always really cool and can do this to suicune:

252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune in Sun: 368-434 (91 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Bulky waters aren't the real issue, but considering Hydreigon is slightly less common doom could move up a notch, but I'd like to test it out a little first.
The fact that a mon requires a non viable play style to be B rank is exactly why it is not B rank

Huh? It's not about being used on a sun team, it's just using sunny day instead of nasty plot. Its a set thats better for wallbreaking than nasty plot, thats all.

By losing nasty plot, your losing a chance to boost your special attack to +2, which can be huge when trying to be a wallbreaker, or stallbreaker, since many walls can take its offensive prowess, such as the afromentioned Hydreigon, who can live a hit (regardless) and kill mega doom. Plus, running solarbeam also forces you to not run flame charge, or another coverage move.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
By losing nasty plot, your losing a chance to boost your special attack to +2, which can be huge when trying to be a wallbreaker, or stallbreaker, since many walls can take its offensive prowess, such as the afromentioned Hydreigon, who can live a hit (regardless) and kill mega doom. Plus, running solarbeam also forces you to not run flame charge, or another coverage move.
Nasty Plot and Sunny Day sets are trying to do different things. NP tries to bust through more conventional walls whereas SunnyBeam elects to pressure the fuck out of your opponent and pretty much force them to sack something since nothing switches in on Solar Power Fire Blast.

Yeah, also hydreigon has a decent chance to die to a solar power fire blast after rocks, so with even the tiniest bit of prior damage it's not an issue (unless scarf of course but there's no getting round that). The only real downsides compared to nasty plot are the health loss, which is really annoying because it knocks you into a range where certain walls can 2hko you more easily, and weaker dark pulse. Loss of coverage isn't a downside when solar beam is the best coverage it gets anyway, and I don't think flame charge is that great in this meta.

Big post incoming:

First of all, I agree with Mega Abomasnow's nomination from B+ to A-. Both sets are huge threats with a set of checks/counters that can be Pursuit trapped into Ice Shard range. It's also a solid check to two of the S-rank mons (Suicune, Mence) and can check the third (MAero) in a pinch. It's really underprepared for and teams generally have 1 or 2, if any, easily-handled checks.

Snorlax from B+ to A: incredibly hard to switch into thanks to the threat of paralysis, Fighting-types are something that are well-prepared for by every team in this metagame. Pretty obvious one that I think has been brought up already.

Cresselia from A- to A: great check to tons of threats in the metagame, including all three S-rank mons. CM+Moonlight does incredibly well against balance and offense while the defensive set is a giant pain for offense to take down. In a pinch, it can easily live things like Mega Beedrill's U-turn, Mega Sharpedo's Crunch, Krookodile's Knock Off, and it sets up on Mega Blastoise lol, which just shows how bulky it is.

Florges from A- to A: It's the premier Wish passer and cleric for balance as its able to take on Heracross, Mienshao, and sometimes Salamence while also handling special attackers like Mega Blastoise, Mega Ampharos, Mega Pidgeot, and Hydreigon better than other Fairies like Aromatisse and Granbull.

Mega Pidgeot from A to A+: I think koko brought this one up in the old thread but yeah due to its speed, usable bulk, Work Up, and great STAB (and also the 30% confuse...) it's really scary to switch into unless you have like one of three mons. Mega Aerodactyl is a pain to it but if it gets confused on the switchin, it can be deadly (not an argument but it happens and it's stupid)

Reuniclus from A- to A: Really hard for stall to take down and it can be good against offense too, checking threats like Lucario and the possiblity of Trick Room + LO or Thunder Wave

Feraligatr from B- to A- (possibly higher): holy shit this thing's good. Sub+DD, DD+3 attacks, and Sub+SD are all great sets that each have their own checks and counters so it's really difficult to prepare for. Sub SD is the one I've used the most and once you weaken a Mega Aggron or Chesnaught, it can actually potential go through an entire defensively oriented team because of its bulk and power. Against other teams, it's great for wearing down a physical wall to allow a scarfer or sweeper to come in and win.

Blastoise from Unranked to B-: This is gonna sound weird but base form Blastoise definitely has a niche in this tier. It stands out from Tentacruel in that it has much higher physical bulk, which means it can actually switch into Entei, Mega Aerodactyl etc and not get 3hkod and beaten 1v1. It also has Roar, meaning it's not setup fodder for stuff like SubCM Suicune and DD Mence like Tentacruel has the tendency to be. Blastoise particularly works well with Mega Aerodactyl, as Blastoise is able to spin on mons that give MAero trouble like Forry, Mega Aggron, and Hippo. But yeah if you want a spinner that can actually switch into and spin on Fire-types then Blastoise is a solid mon. Of course, it's got its flaws, mainly being really passive and weak and not having Tspikes like Tenta does, so nothing higher than B- should be considered. (I think SmashBrosBrawl wanted a shoutout for this nom or something)

If you made it this far, thanks for reading n_n

Last edited:
I know shitting on Milotic is rad because RU wants it, but it shouldn't be D.

Bulky Water with great Special Defense, Recover, and Haze, which allows it to check many top threats such as Mega Blastoise, Suicune, [insert slow bulky setup sweeper like Reuniclus], Hydreigon, Nidos, Chandelure, etc. Implying it is worse than terrible Pokemon like Mega Audino, Cofagrigus, Drapion, and Weezing (why are the latter two even B-???) is just ignorant.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Bulky Water with great Special Defense, Recover, and Haze, which allows it to check many top threats such as Mega Blastoise, Suicune, [insert slow bulky setup sweeper like Reuniclus], Hydreigon, Nidos, Chandelure, etc. Implying it is worse than terrible Pokemon like Mega Audino, Cofagrigus, Drapion, and Weezing (why are the latter two even B-???) is just ignorant.
Drapions SpD set was useful back in like late XY or something, giving it its B- but at this stage in the game its not that good. Weezing was also considered pretty good when Lucario was destroying everybody's lives. Both could see a drop tbh. Milotic is also nb. Just because its the worst of the waters in uu doesn't make it inherently unviable and the moves it has are pretty useful.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

The problem I've always had with Milotic isn't that it's bad (it's not), but that it's really hard to justify over Vap. Vap also gets Haze/Roar and decent recovery in Wish, with comparable bulk, better SpA and a way better ability. Immediate recovery is great, but there's just a glut of bulky Waters in the tier, and I find it hard to imagine a team where Milotic will fit better than Vaporeon or Suicune or Swampert or Empoleon or Alomomola or whatever.

But yeah, it is objectively better than most of C rank and a good bit of B rank as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)