Battle Spot ORAS Sun Team

Thanks for your pointers on my mistakes. Now I will give an updated RMT post as you have suggested.

Hello, I'm pretty much new to Pokemon battling, specifically online battling. I've always had a knack for weather team, and have played(casually) with a Rain Dance team. And now, I'm trying to experiment with a Sun Team for battle spot-competitive play, and I think it's still lacking here and there. I would be glad to receive any suggestions from you all. Without further ado, here it is(This is a double battle team btw):

Charizard (F) @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Blaze -> Drought
Timid Nature(Spd+, Atk-)
140 HP/ 4 Def/ 164 Sp. Atk/ 4 Sp. Def/ 196 Speed
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Ancientpower

The main starter of the team to bring out the sun. I use Mega Charizard Y due to the high Sp.Atk and Spd and maybe a little personal favourite(compared to ninetales). Pretty much a common set with straight forward EV spread. Heat Wave to make a dent in enemy's HP lowering it to 1/4 or most likely 1/2 or even OHKO a super effective target. Solar Beam for coverage to pesky rock, ground, water types. For the third move, a well-timed Protect can render the opponent to waste a turn. Ancientpower for coverage against flying types and especially TALONFLAME(while also playing with RNG to +1 all stats)

Venusaur (F) @ Black Sludge

Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature(Sp.Atk+, Atk-)
252 Sp.Atk/ 104 Spd/ 152 HP
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed

The main sun abuser for the team with the chlorophyll ability. Venusaur over other physical pokemons like Sawsbuck, or Leavanny because I think Venusaur is much more bulky against Special Attacks compared to the other Chlorophyll users. Tangrowth is an alternative for chlorophyll but he's physical and much more slow compared to Venusaur, so, Venusaur it is. Semi-bulky set with 152 HP to be able to take 2- hit against some targets. 104 Spd for an ensured outspeed against targets like a bulky Politoed(in the rain), removing threats against the weather itself. Black Sludge for recovery purposes and helps mitigate a little damage. Giga Drain for recovery and STAB move, Sludge Bomb for STAB move and coverage against other Grass types and mainly for fairy-types like Gardevoir, Togekiss which is quite a threat to the team. Sleep Powder is used to annoy people, and Protect is for the same reason as I explained for Charizard Y, a well-timed Protect can make an opponent waste a turn. Weather Ball is something that I read from another forum, which turned out quite good for Venusaur allowing it to also abuse the sun in an offensive way.

Darmanitan (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature(Spd+, Sp.Atk-)
252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- U-Turn
- Rock Slide

Wallbreaker for the team, scout for the team, and a Flare Blitz + Sheer Force + Life Orb + Sun = mostly a 1HKO even against some not very effective targets(with lower damage than Choice Band but offers a lot more diversity in move choice). Jolly nature over Adamant to let me outspeed opponents like Roserade, Entei(which both gave me trouble in the past). EV Spread is to maximize his wallbreaking capabilities. Flare Blitz for STAB 1HKO move, Superpower over Hammer Arm since I came to realize that Darmanitan's speed CANNOT be lowered than it already is. U-Turn for scouting purposes, and Rock Slide for Spread move and crush an opposing Talonflame or Zard Y(or both probably). 1 thing I realize though, with the exception of Flare Blitz, every single move Darmanitan uses doesn't inflict damage to himself even with Life Orb, is this true since it was by effect of Sheer Force? Or is it because of something else? Can anyone elaborate?
Salamence (F) @ Salamencite

Ability: Intimidate-> Aerilate
Naive Nature
44 Atk / 212 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Claw
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake

So, I'm always under the impression that Salamence is a physical attacker and thus never tried a Special Mence or even a Mixed-mence. And seeing the suggestion made me wanna try him. Results were... Quite satisfying. Since Salamence is also holding a mega stone, I usually use him in case Charizard Y is not a very profitable pick in the matchup. 44 Attack to allow him hit meaningfully with D. Claw and EQ. while 212 Sp. Atk to increase his Special Sweeping Abilities and 252 Spd to let him outspeed other Pokemon. Naive Nature to speed him up while not sacrificing any of the offensive stats. Hyper Voice is the painful STAB Spread move. Dragon Claw for physical STAB. Flamethrower so that Salamence benefits from the Sun in some way. And EQ for coverage spread move.
Landorus(M) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Rock Slide

At first, I was reluctant to add him to the team, but hey, I have no reason to NOT put him in the team, so yeah I added him and I have never regretted it ever since. Choice Scarf over Choice Band is because this team lacks a speedy physical sweeper, so I use him if I see an annoying speedy pokemon in the opposing team. Max Atk/ Max Spd is to maximize his sweeping potential. Knock Off to deal with targets that generally rely on items to function well(Life Orb, Leftovers, Black Sludge, etc). EQ is self-explainatory STAB Spread move. U-Turn helps me put Landorus in the first/second slot and swap into Terrakion, Venusaur, or Darmanitan for scouting purposes. Rock Slide for coverage and Spread move and an extra flinch RNG.

Terrakion(M) @ Lum Berry

Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Protect

So the next suggested pokemon by Omastar68 and cant say is this... this... whatever this thing is, and he's working nicely in this team. Jolly to outspeed most annoying pokemon(not prankster setters though). Held item is Lum Berry so I can make an opponent waste a turn using a debuff on this creature. Max Atk and Max spd to maximize his sweeping potential. Moveset is straightforward. Close Combat for picking off leftover targets for an STAB. Taunt to stop any opposing setters, although this won't work against Prankster setters. Rock Slide for STAB Spread Move, and some extra RNG for flinch. And Protect, a well-timed one can make an opponent waste a turn.

Well, that's it for my team. Any kind of suggestions is welcome(constructive suggestions) since I am very new(a noob) to competitive battling. Thanks beforehand!

[Update] Hi, I'm sorry I haven't updated this RMT since I got so many things to do. I've replaced Espeon and Ferrothorn with Landorus-T and Terrakion, and found out that one of the weakness this team has is a bulky tailwind setter(faced sooooo many of those). So I was thinking, I need to taunt it before it sets up tailwind. Is there anything that has Prankster and will fit in this sun team, currently I am looking at Klefki currently to replace Terrakion, since klefki has Prankster and has access to taunt. Stalling is another option, but this set up can't stall really well(except for shifting protect(terrakion Zard Y). Or do any of you guys have any ideas to counter Tailwind setters? Thanks Beforehand!

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello Brandon Christian , and welcome to Smogon!

Unfortunately, this RMT is currently not following the rules which can be found in the RMT Resource Thread; specifically, this thread violates rule #4, because you lack sufficient descriptions for each Pokemon on your team. As such, I am afraid that I will have to lock this thread for the time being. If you would like this thread to be reopened, feel free to PM me with your updated RMT, and I would be happy to reopen this thread for you. If you need help making an RMT up to the required standards, I recommend that you carefully read the RMT Resource Thread and check out other RMTs from the Team Showcase and RMT Archive for some examples.

Good luck with your team, and have a nice day!

Edit: Reopened!

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First thing I noticed is that you won't be able to use Weather Ball on Venusaur because a) the event came with Overgrow, not Chlorophyll; and it was in BW meaning you can't use it on the ORAS ladder anyway...

Non-Mega Salamence is bad, I would be looking to replace it so you can use the Life Orb on Darmanitan. You could definitely try Salamence as a secondary Mega option. If you keep him I think Intimidate is much better for the added team support and eases setting up.

You're right that Ferrothorn doesn't really make sense on this team, I think you should try either Landorus-T or Terrakion in that slot.

Stealth Rock / hazards are not common in BSD so they're not worth worrying about. Regardless, Espeon is not the answer to them anyway... Your team looks a bit weak to Bisharp and Talonflame so maybe using both Landorus-T and Terrakion could work, replacing Ferrothorn and Espeon respectively.

Something to note is that Battle Spot Doubles mirrors the ruleset of VGC15, so since you're new to battling I highly recommend you look up information on that metagame, as it was picked apart by players all over the world not too long ago!

Hope you enjoy your time at Smogon n_n

So this is BSD right?

ok...here goes. First the team has been posted three times...not sure how that happened.

Roost is a no-go on Zard Y in Doubles, go for Protect. Dragon Pulse is also no good. If you're worried about Hydreigon, Focus Blast hits it harder and has other targets at the cost of some accuracy, while if Mence is more the problem I'd suggest Ancientpower(actually a bit weaker against it then DP, but 10% chance to raise all stats plus some other targets like enemy Zard Y and Talonflame,) or HP Ice. Will-o-Wisp isn't really an answer to it with so many that're special or mixed.

Venusaur I think HP Fire or Leech Seed should go over Weather Ball(since it's illegal like NOVED said.)

Darmanitan I agree should be LO. Also...Rock Slide>Stone Edge even in singles, more accuracy and almost the exact same power with Sheer Force(there's the fact that it's a spread move tho, so maybe Stone Edge is better since the flinch is lost either way.) Hammer Arm should really go tho, you don't have any Spe control if Ferro is dropped for a mon NOVED suggested, and Darm hates being slowed. Superpower sees way more use than HM, and for good reason. It's stronger the first use, and doesn't drop spe.

Mence should really either go or be another mega. Also Intimidate, especially in doubles. A mixed one is better I'm pretty sure. Flamethrower or Fire Blast is better to break stuff like Ferro and stronger besides, and Hyper Voice is a powerful spread move. you really won't get too many chances to set up without redirection or screens(Espeon should be removed, and it doesn't look like it'll be replaced with another screener.)

I agree Ferro and Espeon should be replaced, but I just wanna mention that Ferro shouldn't run Curse, and with Gyro Ball you want a Relaxed nature and a 0 Spe IV. Espeon shouldn't be Sunny Day...like ever. Zard Y's sun is enough. It'd be better to run Morning Sun or maybe HP Fire...or Dazzling Gleam, Helping Hand, or even Skill Swap(you could swap with Zard Y after sun is gone to reset Drought, or switch with an Intimidate guy to apply that to the foe.)

Also, you really don't have to say what stats each nature you use affects, just a wasted effort really. Quite frankly, anyone in a position to give advice should kno all those. Lastly, EV spreads in BSD that're most effective are usually really complicated. I got aspread fpr Zard Y from ProjectTitan313(who is the doubles authority, made all the recent threads for the meta,) and it's also in his RMT. I'd bet anything that it's more effective than just max/ max.

Good luck, and welcome to Smogon!

Wow. Thanks a lot omastar68 and cant say, for both of your suggestions. I guess I'll try reworking on the team and play test it then to your suggestions. One question though, as I have said on the explanation, ferrothorn is for anti-kangaskhan(mega). Should I change it to Landorus-T and/or terrakion, who will check mega kang? Or is mega-kang a rare find in BSD? Thanks beforehand

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow. Thanks a lot omastar68 and cant say, for both of your suggestions. I guess I'll try reworking on the team and play test it then to your suggestions. One question though, as I have said on the explanation, ferrothorn is for anti-kangaskhan(mega). Should I change it to Landorus-T and/or terrakion, who will check mega kang? Or is mega-kang a rare find in BSD? Thanks beforehand
Kangaskhan is one of the best Pokemon in the format. Ferrothorn is good for checking it but struggles against a lot of common stuff like Heatran, Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Arcanine, and things like special Mega Salamence, Zapdos, Hydreigon, and Hidden Power Fire Venusaur.

I think using both Landorus-T and Terrakion in the last two slots would work fine, since you check Kangaskhan, as well as all the things I just listed (baring Venusaur but that's what your Charizard, Darmanitan, and possibly Mega Salamence are for).

Well, to counter Tailwind setters there's your own Tailwind to cancel it out. Whimsicott and Tornadus both have Prankster, Taunt, and Tailwind. Stats are uncooperative so I can't get as good of an idea about the viability of those two and those moves, but I kno the mons at least are used.

Another good way to beat Tailwind is with paralysis. It won't matter if the oppo has Tailwind up if they're paralyzed-they'll definitely be slower than all your fast mons. Unfortunately none of your current mons can inflict paralysis in any reasonable way(Dragonbreath Salmence lol,) and only Zard and Mence can set Tailwind, and i'm not so sure that's a good move on either. Mayb over Flamethrower or EQ on Mence.

As for Darm, Sheer Force stops LO recoil on any move that has a secondary effect negated in exchange for more power. U-Turn and Superpower should cause LO recoil since they aren't affected by SF. Flare Blitz still causes normal recoil but no LO recoil.

EDIT: I forgot about Snatch. It can steal an opponent's Tailwind if you use it the same turn as them. Can also steal recovery, set up, Wide Guard, and some other stuff. Might be worth considering

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Dragon Claw on Salamence isn't going to be doing much. I think you should just use the standard VGC15 build which was Double-Edge, Hyper Voice, Draco Meteor, and Protect. You don't need Flamethrower on Salamence since you already have Charizard and Darmanitan. You're already running the optimal EV spread for this moveset so it only makes sense to also use the right moves.

You should also definitely swap Leech Seed for Protect on Venu. Considering Talonflame's omnipresence and Venu being a prime target, it'll allow you to avoid a Brave Bird while you KO it with a teammate. Also Leech Seed is not great in doubles...

Hi guys. Sorry for the late reply, since I'm really busy these days. Thanks for your inputs and I'll try each one of it and see which one fits my team. *prolly gonna try a snatch, thanks for your suggestion omastar!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)