Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What role specifically does Roserade play on your team?

I could recommend Rhyperior. Sceptile hates Flying types and Bird Spam, which Rhyperior is pretty much the best answer to. In exchange, Sceptile covers Grass, Water, and Ground, Azumarill gets Water, Fighting, Ice, and Rhyperior covers Electric, Flying, Fire.
roserade was going to be a spiker plus im using her to counter fairy types. can azumaril fend of fire types from getting sceptile

I recommend using AV Azumarill if your committing to Azumarill.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EV's: 240 HP/ 252 Atk/ 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Play Rough
-Waterfall
-Knock Off
-Aqua Jet

roserade was going to be a spiker plus im using her to counter fairy types. can azumaril fend of fire types from getting sceptile
And fire types aren't as much of an issue for Sceptile as they were before, as it is part Dragon now too, and the only notable fire type rn is Heatran which gets 2hkod with Focus Blast, and lava plume does like, 40 something percent. Keldeo can be used to deal with fire types as well if they are still a bit of an issue, as both it's stabs deal with heatran fairly easily.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
making a mega sceptile team and so far all i have are sceptile obvisouly, roserade and azumarill but i cant think of the other three pokemon

what pokemon would work with this team and give reasons
Ferrothorn is almost always a better option than Roserade, both as a Spiker and Fairy resist. Azumarill is a good option for a teammate, yes, as it takes on Choice Scarf Latios and Heatran very well, both of which Mega Sceptile hates. Sceptile can also have a very hard time Mega Evolving becuase of all the faster Pokemon out there. Thus, having some Speed control is favorable. Thundurus is the overall best option, with priority Thunder Wave. It is also great for taking on Mega Salamence, which is probably the biggest threat to offense. As for the rest Pokemon, the choice is entierly up to you; what are you confortable with? Greninja can be a great partner, as it and Mega Sceptile draw is some of the same Pokemon. Choice Scarf Landorus-T is another good option, as it deals with opposing Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and some physical attackers like Mega Beedrill, Mega Gallade, and Mega Lopunny.

Ferrothorn is almost always a better option than Roserade, both as a Spiker and Fairy resist. Azumarill is a good option for a teammate, yes, as it takes on Choice Scarf Latios and Heatran very well, both of which Mega Sceptile hates. Sceptile can also have a very hard time Mega Evolving becuase of all the faster Pokemon out there. Thus, having some Speed control is favorable. Thundurus is the overall best option, with priority Thunder Wave. It is also great for taking on Mega Salamence, which is probably the biggest threat to offense. As for the rest Pokemon, the choice is entierly up to you; what are you confortable with? Greninja can be a great partner, as it and Mega Sceptile draw is some of the same Pokemon. Choice Scarf Landorus-T is another good option, as it deals with opposing Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and some physical attackers like Mega Beedrill, Mega Gallade, and Mega Lopunny.
its going to be hard to get landorus and thunderous any others suggestions

its going to be hard to get landorus and thunderous any others suggestions
I only play on battle sims so I don't know if Porygon 2 is difficult to get or not, but it works pretty well with ice beam. Porygon2 also easily beats Greninja.

Defensive tyranitar with ice beam works pretty well also.

The only way for a mon like M-Camerupt to put in work in the current fast-paced meta is under trick room. Without it, it gets outsped by literally everything in their mother, and it has average defenses (compared to the other slow but successful mons in the meta), which means that it won't last long getting hit first every turn. tr is probably the only way to go for it.

I would have suggested using bp, but i don't want to spread aids.
I would say that it has a place without Trick Room, it walls pretty much every non-Rotom Electric type and it's Electric immunity can give it a lot of free switches. I've seen plenty of good teams use Camerupt otuside of Trick Room.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
I would say that it has no place without Trick Room, it walls pretty much every non-Rotom Electric type and it's Electric immunity can give it a lot of free switches. I've seen plenty of good teams use Camerupt otuside of Trick Room.
you mean "I wouldn't say"?
and ofc it's not bad, it's just you could be confused what you want it to do with good stat's all over the board except speed

Regarding function of immunity abilities like Lightningrod or Flash Fire.

For status moves, would the move have to be able to connect for the Pokemon to get the boost? As in, does the move fail because of the sub, or technically "hit" the sub and just not do anything?

For Example, say I have Heatran behind a Sub and the opponent uses WoW predicting a switch. Normally, the Sub means WoW fails, but how does Heatran react? Does he get a FF boost?

I'm wondering here since damaging moves like Volt Switch still "hit" the substitute, but I'm not sure specifically how they interact with the Sub.

For status moves, would the move have to be able to connect for the Pokemon to get the boost? As in, does the move fail because of the sub, or technically "hit" the sub and just not do anything?

For Example, say I have Heatran behind a Sub and the opponent uses WoW predicting a switch. Normally, the Sub means WoW fails, but how does Heatran react? Does he get a FF boost?

I'm wondering here since damaging moves like Volt Switch still "hit" the substitute, but I'm not sure specifically how they interact with the Sub.
I think you will get the boost and the attack will be negated, if not mistaken

"Along with its previous effects, Lightning Rod also gives the Pokémon immunity to all Electric-type moves, and raises the Pokémon's Special Attack by one stage whenever they are hit by one. This effect will not activate if the Pokémon is protected from the Electric-type move." - Bulbapedia.

The protected moves don't list Substitute, so I think you get a boost then.

Edit: Tested on Showdown, and you get a boost behind sub regardless.

Last edited:
Hi, are there any item usage stats for XY competitive battles listed anywhere on the forums or otherwise? Thanks.
I think wherever they list the usage statistics, you can probably find stuff like move and item usage for a particular Pokemon, just not sure where that would be.

I think wherever they list the usage statistics, you can probably find stuff like move and item usage for a particular Pokemon, just not sure where that would be.
I was looking for item stats as a whole, not really focusing on the Pokémon, just the items listed, specifically... I'd imagine the data is somewhere on a battle simulator... Just dunno where exactly.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Calm Mind

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Outrage
What's wrong with my team?

Hi, are there any item usage stats for XY competitive battles listed anywhere on the forums or otherwise? Thanks.
http://sim.smogon.com:8080/Stats/2014-10/

That leads to the long list of files and data for every tier. It's a little bit confusing to navigate the first few times through, and movesets are especially difficult to find imo, so here's direct link to movsets for users ranked 1695 and above, and 1825 and above:

http://sim.smogon.com:8080/Stats/2014-10/moveset/ou-1695.0.txt
http://sim.smogon.com:8080/Stats/2014-10/moveset/ou-1825.0.txt

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Apologize for double posting. Is this the correct Ditto moveset to come out on top against other Ditto?

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Transform

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Calm Mind

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Outrage
It's hard to pinpoint an exact problem just by looking at a team. Usually the best way to identify issues with your team is to test it in a few battles and ask yourself: "What went well in the last few battles?" and "What didn't go so well?" Once you identify what didn't go well you can start looking into ways to improve your team. As for individual sets, I will say this:
  • Dragon tends to be a poor coverage move since if you're not hitting a dragon your STAB moves almost always hit harder. In Tyranitar's case, most of the dragons you'll see are either damaged more with Stone Edge and Crunch or are able to beat Tyranitar 1v1. I'd swap it with Dragon Dance and invest more into its speed personally.
  • Calm Mind sets usually want recovery. Otherwise it's too easy to just wear down the user before the set up is effective.
  • Ferrothorn usually uses Leftovers do to general lack of recovery (leech seed isn't fast enough, especially without Protect on it). They usually invest in Special defense as well; usually 88 defense and 168 special defense is the split.
  • Since your team seems to be more of balanced team, you should find a way to fit either Rapid Spin or Defog onto your team so you're not worn down too quickly.

This is from a glance.
1) SD Mega Heracross beats every mon on your team except Latios who gets 2HKOed and has no recovery.
2) Outrage on something that isn't a Dragon type. I'd use DD and more Speed
3) Calm Mind and Draco Meteor on the same set. CM is done better by Latias/ Clefable / Mega Sableye / Mega Slowbro, who also uses Recover / Rest / Slack Off. DM fits a hit and run playstyle. I'd recommend Defog or Recover over CM here.
4) not running Speed on BD Azumarill
5) Protect-less Leech Seed Ferro (without Leftovers)
6) Greninja can 6 - 0 your team with H-Pump / Gunk Shot / Low Kick / Ice Beam

Sorry if I am too harsh on your team but these are just my opinions.

EDIT: Bird Spam says hi.

Last edited:
For one, invest more into speed. (72 is fine)
That Gliscor is strong. EQ/Toxic is generally great coverage, but here are its prominent weaknesses:
Gengar, Skarmory, Bronzong, balloon Heatran/Excadrill) (teammates must be able to deal with these)
Substitute set-up (especially when it can switch in on an EQ, think Mega-Mence) (phazing/unaware would be nice)
And obviously, it needs a turn to set-up its substitute without it getting broken (type synergy)
Heal Bell on your team is extremely obnoxious (watch out with using clerics, try natural cure users instead)
Status healing on their team with regeneration (stallbreak is needed)

SubProtect Toxic Gliscor can be a win-condition, it's a beast. The things it doesn't straight-up beat, it can often Toxic and have teammates abuse.
Considering all that, try to find teammates for it that also synergize with each other. If you can't figure it out, post again and we can look at it.

http://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage
http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/
http://veekun.com/dex/gadgets/compare_pokemon

Here are some tools to help you out.

Last edited:
Move 1
Move 2
Move 3
Move 4
Item
Ability
Tags
Nature
  • Impish
EVs
  • 244 HP
  • 28 Def
  • 236 Spe
Whats a good core for this gliscor? im a scrub when t comes to good core building and teamaking
For future reference, when writing down a set you're using, try to write it down in Showdown export format to make it easier for people to read. As for a good defensive core, with any defensive core centered around a Mon you want to look at what it's weak to and figure out other mons that. In addition to what YoYoNerd listed You'll also want a way to take Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur. For more details on this set you can check out the Smogon Pokedex, which covers this set in detail. Here's the link: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/gliscor. Look under "SubToxic".

I actually think the speed's fine, though: the only thing you outspeed if you add more to speed is +0 speed Gyarados, which will outspeed you after 1 Dragon Dance anyway.

In the ORAS metagame, what is generally Charizard-X's best set? I see most sets in the analysis use Adamant for bulky dragon dance but in the viability thread I saw mention of a popular Jolly set, so I'm wondering what that set is basically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)