Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Sucker Punch fail if used on a mon using Focus Punch?
No, Focus Punch is still an attack. Sucker Punch can only ever fail if either, your opponent doesn't attack you, or if they use a move with higher priority (or same level of priority but higher base speed).
EDIT: or if they somehow have Wonder Guard and aren't weak to Sucker Punch.

And for the record, it can be used on a pokemon using Counter or Mirror Coat, as they DO count as attacks.

What's a viable EV spread for a Focus Sash suicide lead Azelf with the moveset SR / Taunt / Knock Off / Fire Blast?

Though, is it better to use Explosion / Fire Blast instead of Knock Off / Fire Blast? What are the advantages?

Edit:
That said, I'm thinking of having my Azelf mess with Steel-types such as the likes of Ferrothorn, Mega-Scizor, Bisharp, Excadrill, Skarmory etc. (and some few walls) by hitting them with Fire Blast.

Also as well as fighting off Defoggers, spinners, Psychics (Latias, Latios, Starmie, etc.), and some others. I am currently thinking of whether to use Knock Off or Explosion.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The preferred spread for Sash Lead Azelf running both Knock Off an Fire Blast is of 196 Atk / 60 SpA / 252 Spe with a Naive nature, since the SpA is enough to OHKO Bisharp. However, you usually want to carry Explosion since, as a suicide lead, you're basically just meant to set up rocks and die, dealing as much damage as possible in the process. Knock Off is slightly preferred over Fire Blast since it hits both Latis and Starmie, two of the best hazard removers in the tier, as well as providing good utility in general but Fire Blast does KO Excadrill, another very common hazard remover, as well as Skarmory, Scizor and Ferrothorn, so it's a pretty good option too.

Something came up in a battle, and I asked my opponent, and apperently, crits ignore stat drops (e.g heatran uses Flash Cannon on a +6 SpD Clefable, gets a crit, and does 70%). Is this actually how the mechanics work, or was it just a glitch? If that's how it actually works, it means I've been playing pokemon for almost half my life and never knew this -_-'

Something came up in a battle, and I asked my opponent, and apperently, crits ignore stat drops (e.g heatran uses Flash Cannon on a +6 SpD Clefable, gets a crit, and does 70%). Is this actually how the mechanics work, or was it just a glitch? If that's how it actually works, it means I've been playing pokemon for almost half my life and never knew this -_-'
Yes, crits ignore defense increases on the target. (In Gen 1, I think they used to also ignore offense increases on the user. So you could be boosted but actually do less damage on a crit lol.)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Yep, crits ignore the user's stat drops and the target's stat boosts. It's the main reason why Critdra is a thing - 100% crit rate lets it spam draco meteor without ever worrying about the SpA drop. Always-crit moves like Frost Breath are also useful if you're terrified of things that boost their defenses for whatever reason.

Crits also ignore screens, FYI

Is this actually how the mechanics work, or was it just a glitch? If that's how it actually works, it means I've been playing pokemon for almost half my life and never knew this -_-'
Yes, crits ignore defense increases on the target. (In Gen 1, I think they used to also ignore offense increases on the user. So you could be boosted but actually do less damage on a crit lol.)
This is, for what it's worth, the reason why so few Pokemon can actually get away with turtling up with defensive boosting. Even if you're at +6/+6 Def/SpDef and outhealing incoming damage with friggin' Lefties, the house is eventually going to win and you're gonna get wrecked by a crit.

It's also part of the reason why I'm so interested in Mega Slowbro, because if it gets ahold of an Ingrain and some defensive boosts and runs Rest, Mega Slowbro might potentially be legitimately unbreakable short of Perish Song.

Right now, there are only 43 pokemon in the OU tier and I was just curious since Mawile and Aegislash have been banned and I was just wondering since that's just as low as Gen 4 when there were only 493 pokemon to choose from bar NFE's and Ubers, is this a sign of anything significant that has been overlooked so far?

This is, for what it's worth, the reason why so few Pokemon can actually get away with turtling up with defensive boosting. Even if you're at +6/+6 Def/SpDef and outhealing incoming damage with friggin' Lefties, the house is eventually going to win and you're gonna get wrecked by a crit.

It's also part of the reason why I'm so interested in Mega Slowbro, because if it gets ahold of an Ingrain and some defensive boosts and runs Rest, Mega Slowbro might potentially be legitimately unbreakable short of Perish Song.
THIS. This is what I was saying too when his ability was revealed and people were moaning that he doesn't keep regenerator. Crit immunity is really a wall pokemon's best friend. I'm definitely seeing a Cro-Bro set becoming popular.

Right now, there are only 43 pokemon in the OU tier and I was just curious since Mawile and Aegislash have been banned and I was just wondering since that's just as low as Gen 4 when there were only 493 pokemon to choose from bar NFE's and Ubers, is this a sign of anything significant that has been overlooked so far?
Gens 5 and to a lesser extent 6 saw a huge power creep, as well as more mons with more goodies to play with, and really nice defensive mons too (like Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur). As a result these days there are a lot of pokemon that would be great in the metagame except for the existence of one or two new mons or old mons with new coverage moves or new game mechanics (e.g., steel defensive nerf, grass spore immunity, perma-weather having come and gone), etc.

Also, in the time of Gen 4, there were a significant amount of really fast, moderately powerful, but really slow pokemon, all great in OU. In gen 4 this was fine, as pretty the only relevant priority user was Scizor, as most fast, strong, frail mons resisted Mach Punch. However, this gen these pokemon don't get away with their frailty anymore, as there are a lot more priority users that can destroy them (e.g talonflame, M-Pinsir, M-Manectric), as well as a bunch of pokemon that are actually faster, and in some cases, bulkier and stronger than these pokemon (e.g Mega Manectric, Mega Aerodactyl), and as a result they end up being a burden more than anything.
Otherwise, M-Alakazam would be godly rn :]

Also, in the time of Gen 4, there were a significant amount of really fast, moderately powerful, but really slow pokemon, all great in OU. In gen 4 this was fine, as pretty the only relevant priority user was Scizor, as most fast, strong, frail mons resisted Mach Punch. However, this gen these pokemon don't get away with their frailty anymore, as there are a lot more priority users that can destroy them (e.g talonflame, M-Pinsir, M-Manectric), as well as a bunch of pokemon that are actually faster, and in some cases, bulkier and stronger than these pokemon (e.g Mega Manectric, Mega Aerodactyl), and as a result they end up being a burden more than anything.
Otherwise, M-Alakazam would be godly rn :]
The buffs to Knock Off and Sucker Punch, not to mention Steel losing Dark resistance, didn't hurt at all either. Lots of the frail mons who can resist Mach Punch get wrecked by Sucker Punch, especially coming off of a living chainsaw like a Bisharp on a Defiant boost.

So why isn't Sludgewave Gengar legal yet?
There was an event for one with Sludgewave and we are getting one here in NA too

Whoa, it is?
xD, guess I could have stopped running Sludgewave.

And I know, I have 4 in my game

But since when was it legal?
I swore that it wasn't legal earlier this gen.
You can get it from the gen 5 dream world, and there's going to be one for it coming up soon. (I don't remember exactly when though.)

Whoa, it is?
xD, guess I could have stopped running Sludgewave.

And I know, I have 4 in my game

But since when was it legal?
I swore that it wasn't legal earlier this gen.
I don't think it's legal with Perish Song or Disable, you have to pick Sludge Wave or egg moves.

When a double switch occurs and the opponent sends a pokémon with Intimidate, which pokémon does it affect : the one you sent in or the one you withdrew ? Serebii has this answer :

"In a link battle, if both sides switch on the same turn, and first player sends out a Pokémon with Intimidate, the opponent’s Attack will be lowered before the opponent’s Pokémon switches."

However, the exact opposite happened to me on Showdown! I withdrew A and sent B while he was going to his Lando-T and B got intimidated instead of A... So I wonder how exactly that works...

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
When a double switch occurs and the opponent sends a pokémon with Intimidate, which pokémon does it affect : the one you sent in or the one you withdrew ? Serebii has this answer :

"In a link battle, if both sides switch on the same turn, and first player sends out a Pokémon with Intimidate, the opponent’s Attack will be lowered before the opponent’s Pokémon switches."

However, the exact opposite happened to me on Showdown! I withdrew A and sent B while he was going to his Lando-T and B got intimidated instead of A... So I wonder how exactly that works...
That depends on which Pokemon wins the speed tie. If the opponent wins the speed tie and switches out first, or just naturally outspeeds and switches out first, then your Pokemon that was previously in takes the Intimidate drop before it goes out. However, if you either outspeed or win the speed tie than the newly sent out Pokemon gets the Attack drop.

Is a Celebi-Heatran core still viable? If so, which is physically defensive and which is specially defensive? I'm not going to use VenuTran because I'm using another Mega in the current team.

That depends on which Pokemon wins the speed tie. If the opponent wins the speed tie and switches out first, or just naturally outspeeds and switches out first, then your Pokemon that was previously in takes the Intimidate drop before it goes out. However, if you either outspeed or win the speed tie than the newly sent out Pokemon gets the Attack drop.
Hey slayer thanks for the answer ; makes perfect sense. I'm just curious though, where did you find that answer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)