Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on Physical Greninja with return?
Just to help elaborate, physical Greninja suffers from a number of issues. First, its physical movepool is not very good. With the exception of Return, none of the moves have a BP higher than 80. Second, while its base attack is not bad, it is worse than its special attack. These factors already lead to a generally lower output, but a greater issue is that it really doesn't kill anything that Special Greninja doesn't already and is even easier to wall due to its coverage moves having poor synergy and overall lower output.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
uhm, thanks, but i asked if anything's bad with special Victini, not the main draw for the physical variant.
Tbh, mixed victini is really damn good as it can lure in things like swampert and suicune to smack them with grass knot. V create and 3 special attacks works pretty well - great surprise factor.

uhm, thanks, but i asked if anything's bad with special Victini, not the main draw for the physical variant.
You technically asked why it was inferior :P
There's not really much wrong with special Victini, besides the fact you lose v-Create.
And U-Turn
And Zen Headbutt
And Bolt Strike (THUNDERBOLT DOES NOT HELP... Okay maybe Thunder would)
Sure you get Searing Shot, Blue Flare, Psychic, Psyshock, Energy Ball, Grass Knot etc.
But V-CREATE
idk it's just that Victinis physical Movepool is much slightly better, it's not like Greninja which loses a lot by going physical :p
Edit: mixed works too. Why didn't I think of that.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
i added an edit but here it is: and someone tell me why is special Victini poor not so good
In addition to what's already been said, a recent Victini set that's come to popularity recently is StallTini. This Victini runs Taunt + Will-o-Wisp to break stall, and uses its unique defensive typing to check Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, and Mega Charizard-Y. The problem with using Blue Flare > V-Create is that it does much less damage to Mega Gardevoir + Mega Medicham, and is overall a weaker move. It also can't do anything to Chansey, which is infuriating. Additionally, the problems with using Thunder > Bolt Strike are a) It has 55% accuracy in the sun, so it's very unreliable against Charizard-Y, b) it has 77% accuracy on other targets, which is a lot worse than Bolt Strike's 94%, and c) is much weaker than Bolt Strike.

Special Victini isn't bad, but I'd much rather use physical Victini due to its access to more powerful and accurate moves.

If BL gets as many Pokemon as Ubers had in 3rd gen, will it become a playable tier? If not, why?
The tier you'd use BL mons in is OU, there's no need to create a playable BL tier. Ubers exists because there's no other tier to play OU banned mons in and there's enough mons to create it's own meta. A potential BL tier would end up being basically UU, but with all the mons banned from UU back in it, which is kinda redundant.

IIRC the BL mons are being suspected to allow them back in, so the BL list will shrink, not grow.

But there will also be new forms/megas added in ORAS with too little usage in OU, but too powerful for kokoUU, so it'll get a boost then .

Is the ability Sandveil and Snowcloak banned in competitive play?
You know, I get such contradictory information on these that I'm curious about the answer myself.

I know Garchomp was banned in Gen5 temporarily as a result of the interaction of Sandveil, but the definition for evasion clause at the tier hub page specifies only the evasion-boost moves, not the abilities or Brightpowder.

Is the ability Sandveil and Snowcloak banned in competitive play?
You know, I get such contradictory information on these that I'm curious about the answer myself.

I know Garchomp was banned in Gen5 temporarily as a result of the interaction of Sandveil, but the definition for evasion clause at the tier hub page specifies only the evasion-boost moves, not the abilities or Brightpowder.
Both snow cloak and sand veil are usable on the showdown OU ladder in conjunction with their respective weathers. I assume they were both unbanned due to weather being nerfed.

Thoughts on Durant/Azumaril/Mega-Kangashkan for battle maison
I haven't noticed people exploit this basically rather than waisting all that time prtoecting and then use sword dance you can get to 6+
Also Azumaril is far more bulkier than Scizor or Mega Pinsir and you can carry left overs to gain health back

Just to help elaborate, physical Greninja suffers from a number of issues. First, its physical movepool is not very good. With the exception of Return, none of the moves have a BP higher than 80. Second, while its base attack is not bad, it is worse than its special attack. These factors already lead to a generally lower output, but a greater issue is that it really doesn't kill anything that Special Greninja doesn't already and is even easier to wall due to its coverage moves having poor synergy and overall lower output.
Except you get ghost sneak and power up punch, Greninja's only possible buffed and priority move. Ghost sneak means in the right timing you can be invulnerable to normal and fighting type moves.

I haven't noticed people exploit this basically rather than waisting all that time prtoecting and then use sword dance you can get to 6+
Also Azumaril is far more bulkier than Scizor or Mega Pinsir and you can carry left overs to gain health back
ivan_x3000 I think you're looking for something like this thread here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/. This is for XY OU battling.

You can find more about the Battle Maison in the proper subforum.

But the standard Entrainment team is:

Whimsicott
Durant
Mega Gyarados (Waterfall, DD, Protect, Sub)

The idea is that Whimsicott abuses Prankster and Focus Sash to cripple the enemy's lead with something like Stun Spore and Memento (Taunt, Encore, and Switcheroo are also popular choices). Then Durant comes in with Choice Scarf to transfer the ability Truant to the enemy with Entrainment. Then Mega Gyarados comes in to set up to +6 with DD (setting up both Atk and Spd is crucial). Use Protect every other turn when the enemy has an attacking turn and use Sub to avoid damage from priority or status moves. Mega Gyarados is the preferred sweeper because of Mold Breaker. There is only room for one attack on the move set, so it has to be a type which no pokemon is immune to and which itself has few resistances. (Water otherwise does not satisfy these conditions, but Mold Breaker allows you to bypass Water Absorb.)

There are some issues to be aware of and some situations which can screw you over. But the strategy is pretty much foolproof. Battles take forever though, even with battle effects turned off. I saw someone used Drapion in place of Mega Gyarados (Protect, Sub, Acupressure, Knock Off). In general, the team must be

Prankster Crippler
Truant Entrainment Durant
Strong mono-type setup sweeper (which can get both Atk and Spd boosts)

If you are just looking to get a streak of 200, I will tell you that I did it rather easily in Doubles with the following team:

Yache Berry Garchomp
Focus Sash Gengar
AV Azumarill
Mega Scizor

(I also easily got 200+ in Triples with a Trick Room team, anchored by Mega Abomasnow. But Triples battles take so much longer to complete. Each battle is like 4 or 5 minutes even with battle effects off.)

You should take a look at this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/
There are a lot of good examples of BM teams and good discussion about team building for BM.

Last edited:
Except you get ghost sneak and power up punch, Greninja's only possible buffed and priority move. Ghost sneak means in the right timing you can be invulnerable to normal and fighting type moves.
Greninja's frailty makes it a poor set-up sweeper, especially since it relies on a move that only increases its attack one stage a turn. Priority moves are nice, but Greninja already outspeeds so much of the un-scarfed meta as it is. Not only that, but no one uses Normal moves for coverage, so Shadow Sneak would only be used to dodge Fighting moves, a very situational tactic with no guarantee of success. Many people have tried to promote Physical Greninja, but at the end of the day people go back to the Special Greninja because there's just not enough going for Physical Greninja to justify using it.

Hello, I'm currently breeding for my first team and I would like to have a Bisharp and/or an Excadrill for Spin, but I have no access to B2W2. Are there good movesets for Bisharp without Knock off and Excadrill without Iron Head or is it not worth using them without those moves?

Hello, I'm currently breeding for my first team and I would like to have a Bisharp and/or an Excadrill for Spin, but I have no access to B2W2. Are there good movesets for Bisharp without Knock off and Excadrill without Iron Head or is it not worth using them without those moves?
Danoxor Unfortunately, Excadrill has no other viable form of Steel-type STAB, and Knock Off's utility (and potentially higher Base Power) means something like Night Slash is inferior on Bisharp.

Danoxor Unfortunately, Excadrill has no other viable form of Steel-type STAB, and Knock Off's utility (and potentially higher Base Power) means something like Night Slash is inferior on Bisharp.
So you think I should not be using them? Is a Bisharp with Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Swords Dance and Iron Head useable?

So you think I should not be using them? Is a Bisharp with Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Swords Dance and Iron Head useable?
Bisharp was perfectly viable in BW2 before Knock Off got its buff. It's just such an amazing toy for Bisharp that he'll really miss having it. Kind of like cellphones, we never needed them before they were invented but now that we have them...

You can find more about the Battle Maison in the proper subforum.

But the standard Entrainment team is:

Whimsicott
Durant
Mega Gyarados (Waterfall, DD, Protect, Sub)

The idea is that Whimsicott abuses Prankster and Focus Sash to cripple the enemy's lead with something like Stun Spore and Memento (Taunt, Encore, and Switcheroo are also popular choices). Then Durant comes in with Choice Scarf to transfer the ability Truant to the enemy with Entrainment. Then Mega Gyarados comes in to set up to +6 with DD (setting up both Atk and Spd is crucial). Use Protect every other turn when the enemy has an attacking turn and use Sub to avoid damage from priority or status moves. Mega Gyarados is the preferred sweeper because of Mold Breaker. There is only room for one attack on the move set, so it has to be a type which no pokemon is immune to and which itself has few resistances. (Water otherwise does not satisfy these conditions, but Mold Breaker allows you to bypass Water Absorb.)

There are some issues to be aware of and some situations which can screw you over. But the strategy is pretty much foolproof. Battles take forever though, even with battle effects turned off. I saw someone used Drapion in place of Mega Gyarados (Protect, Sub, Acupressure, Knock Off). In general, the team must be

Prankster Crippler
Truant Entrainment Durant
Strong mono-type setup sweeper (which can get both Atk and Spd boosts)

If you are just looking to get a streak of 200, I will tell you that I did it rather easily in Doubles with the following team:

Yache Berry Garchomp
Focus Sash Gengar
AV Azumarill
Mega Scizor

(I also easily got 200+ in Triples with a Trick Room team, anchored by Mega Abomasnow. But Triples battles take so much longer to complete. Each battle is like 4 or 5 minutes even with battle effects off.)

You should take a look at this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/
There are a lot of good examples of BM teams and good discussion about team building for BM.
Hey man thanks for your feedback also thank i had no idea there's another subforum this place has so many rules compared to other forums i got lost. I'm not so sure about a 3 man set up though i know it's much safer but what're gonna do if you're focus pokemon gets haxxed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)