Other ORAS Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only physically defensive altaria's. Offensive variants can't shrug off an ice fang for shit, not even bulky offensive variants can.

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria: 194-230 (66.6 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And if the altaria is running max HP

Yet if you are running adamant you lose the ability to check both Mega Sceptile and Beedrill reliably (I mean if they haven't mega evolved and you have you still can) so I think he was referring to the jolly variant as that is more common atm.
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Altaria: 194-230 (54.8 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Jolly mega aero still gets the guaranteed 2HKO'd on max HP mega altaria. lol

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Altaria: 178-210 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And of course that obviously means it still destroys fully offensive variants even more

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Altaria: 178-210 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And of course that obviously means it still destroys fully offensive variants even more
Huh, well that's my fault for thinking Altaria was bulkier than what it was. Poor thing.

So since Ferrothorn is really annoying to a lot of things right now, and since one of my teams really struggled with it (MegaGross team), I thought about Magnezone, but lets be honest, Metagross and Magnezone's synergy is absolutely horrible and it takes like 2 more pokemons just to have a shaky core (4 pokemons usually should make a solid and nice core), not to mention that like pretty much 90% of the Ferrothorn's are now Shed Shell. So the only way to really beat Ferrothorn (There's multiple of ways, but Ferrothorn is not stupid enough to stay in) without the Ferrothorn realizing it's vs. a threat, you need a lure.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Toxic
- Play Rough

Now you're probably thinking I'm crazy, and you know, I think I am, SubPunch Azumarill? Not only that but without Aqua Jet OR Waterfall? Yes, why? it does 76.1-89.7% to Ferrothorn while Ferrothorn usually goes for hazards/Leech Seed so sub can block that. Skarmory? It 3HKOs Skarmory or 2HKOs with a regular Focus Punch and one after Skarmory's Roost. Focus Punch also hits harder than STAB Waterfall. Azumarill can also surprisingly make 101 subs, letting it EASILY beat Chansey. Focus Punch actually does more to Heatran and the like than Waterfall. It also even does more to Rotom-W than Play Rough! It also allows Azumarill to pressure mons like MegaGross and Magnezone more.

With all that though, not having Waterfall has its disadvantages, and not having room for Knock Off does too. Most importantly, it gets harder to take down Landorus-t, and Slowbro is still a bane. That's the reason for Toxic. It's such a kek and unexpected move on Azumarill that it cripples both of these pokemons, not to mention a variety of other pokemons such as Rotom-W and Quagsire.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 268-316 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 113-134 (33.8 - 40.1%) -- 38.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 226-268 (67.6 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (When roosting)
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 378-446 (98.1 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 596-702 (165 - 194.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 141-166 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 127-150 (41.7 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 140-165 (46.5 - 54.8%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 352-416 (108.6 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-181212769

mega dactyl only checks offensive mega alt if SR isn't up

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 196-232 (67.3 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 220-261 (73 - 86.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It does beat out special bruiser versions though...

252 SpA Pixilate Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 178-210 (59.1 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Pixilate Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 195-231 (64.7 - 76.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Defensive versions of mega alt will only win if running return (mega aero has surprisingly good spd... Mega aero-TTar new meta?)

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Altaria: 144-170 (40.6 - 48%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Pixilate Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 144-169 (47.8 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 178-210 (59.1 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So yeah, mega aero is a very shaky check tbh.

Oh I agree WebBowser, I was just quoting a guy who was arguing against using ice fang on mega aero because "Altaria and Latias are bulky enough to shrug off Ice Fang with little consequences", which is obviously not the case. Ice fang is still very useful on mega aero.

So since Ferrothorn is really annoying to a lot of things right now, and since one of my teams really struggled with it (MegaGross team), I thought about Magnezone, but lets be honest, Metagross and Magnezone's synergy is absolutely horrible and it takes like 2 more pokemons just to have a shaky core (4 pokemons usually should make a solid and nice core), not to mention that like pretty much 90% of the Ferrothorn's are now Shed Shell. So the only way to really beat Ferrothorn (There's multiple of ways, but Ferrothorn is not stupid enough to stay in) without the Ferrothorn realizing it's vs. a threat, you need a lure.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Toxic
- Play Rough

Now you're probably thinking I'm crazy, and you know, I think I am, SubPunch Azumarill? Not only that but without Aqua Jet OR Waterfall? Yes, why? it does 76.1-89.7% to Ferrothorn while Ferrothorn usually goes for hazards/Leech Seed so sub can block that. Skarmory? It 3HKOs Skarmory or 2HKOs with a regular Focus Punch and one after Skarmory's Roost. Focus Punch also hits harder than STAB Waterfall. Azumarill can also surprisingly make 101 subs, letting it EASILY beat Chansey. Focus Punch actually does more to Heatran and the like than Waterfall. It also even does more to Rotom-W than Play Rough! It also allows Azumarill to pressure mons like MegaGross and Magnezone more.

With all that though, not having Waterfall has its disadvantages, and not having room for Knock Off does too. Most importantly, it gets harder to take down Landorus-t, and Slowbro is still a bane. That's the reason for Toxic. It's such a kek and unexpected move on Azumarill that it cripples both of these pokemons, not to mention a variety of other pokemons such as Rotom-W and Quagsire.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 268-316 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 113-134 (33.8 - 40.1%) -- 38.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 226-268 (67.6 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (When roosting)
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 378-446 (98.1 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 596-702 (165 - 194.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 141-166 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 127-150 (41.7 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 140-165 (46.5 - 54.8%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Focus Punch vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 352-416 (108.6 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

if only azumarill learned some other powerful fighting move that could also 2hko ferro. can you imagine if azu had superpower? why, that'd be grand. one can dream

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Toxic
- Play Rough

This is very interesting. I have also noticed that ferro has become a widespread problem in the ORAS meta, but I was dealing with it with one of my new favorite toys in the combo of drain punch chesnaught/mega sabelye, who together spit on most anything ferro wants to do while still being a threat to the rest of the opponent's team. But as I said in my own post a few pages back, I'm sensing that azumarill is also going to be a wildly useful 'mon in the ORAS meta, and this is a very interesting setup for it. Azumarill running a sub-punch set is a bold move to say the least, and I think you're absolutely on target about how effective it has a chance to be. It completely shuts down chansey, which is a huge plus for any 'mon, as it can be a pain if you let it stick around too long in a match, and at the same time it still has most of azumarill's offensive presence when compared to it's AV set or BD set if you never get the chance to boost (which happens more often than you'd like). The loss of water STAB is bad, but you could always bring back waterfall over toxic if it ever became that much of a problem, or even run scald over toxic if you REALLY wanted to push the envelope. Plus, if you can get your sub up, which is pretty easy against defensive threats like ferro who expect a superpower at most from azumarill, you're in a really good position both offensively and defensively. All in all, this is a decent ferro lure, an interesting azumarill build, and something worth considering. On the right team, this could be your ace in the hole against a good handful of annoying threats.

if only azumarill learned some other powerful fighting move that could also 2hko ferro. can you imagine if azu had superpower? why, that'd be grand. one can dream
Superpower is a good move on Banded Azumarill, but it certainly comes with disadvantages that my team could not afford, after 1 superpower, Azumarill becomes a dead weight, especially since like half of the tier resists Fighting or can at least survive -1 Superpower (CB) and OHKO back at -1 Def, so you basically HAVE to switch Azu or sack it after Superpower, Focus Punch doesn't. My team was also not really compatible with CB Azu, it just didn't fit in. Non-Banded Superpower has a very low chance of 2HKO-ing Ferrothorn with Leftovers+Protect. Finally, Superpower cannot achieve some things that Focus Punch would achieve, such as being able to beat Skarmory 1v1.

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Superpower is a good move on Banded Azumarill, but it certainly comes with disadvantages that my team could not afford, after 1 superpower, Azumarill becomes a dead weight, especially since like half of the tier resists Fighting or can at least survive -1 Superpower (CB) and OHKO back at -1 Def, so you basically HAVE to switch Azu or sack it after Superpower, Focus Punch doesn't. My team was also not really compatible with CB Azu, it just didn't fit in. Non-Banded Superpower has a very low chance of 2HKO-ing Ferrothorn with Leftovers+Protect. Finally, Superpower cannot achieve some things that Focus Punch would achieve, such as being able to beat Skarmory 1v1.
Heaven forbid Azumarill switch out to get rid of those debuffs after seeing Protect on Ferrothorn. Or Skarmory using Whirlwind. Those things never happen.

Realtalk though, I don't think you're set's that great. CB does those thing already without forgoing Water coverage and priority, which are 2 of Azumarill's biggest assets.

Heaven forbid Azumarill switch out to get rid of those debuffs after seeing Protect on Ferrothorn. Or Skarmory using Whirlwind. Those things never happen.

Realtalk though, I don't think you're set's that great. CB does those thing already without forgoing Water coverage and priority, which are 2 of Azumarill's biggest assets.
That's why his set is a LURE. It's not supposed to be a standard set; That's the whole point. And it's not just a lure for ferrothorn, either. This set handles a different set of pokemon than standard AV/CB azumarills can altogether. This set is effective at dealing with more defensive 'mons that azumarill would otherwise have trouble with, such as ferrothorn, chansey, or skarmory, to name only a few. Being able to do this frees up the rest of your team to target OTHER threats instead of COVERING for azumarill against these types of pokemon, which is the whole point of a lure to begin with. I mean, do we really need to have a refresher course on why substitute is good, ESPECIALLY when it breaks the 100 HP benchmark? I don't think anyone would ever say this should become a standard set that everyone thinks of when considering azumarill for their team, but it IS a good surprise set to catch some of azumarill's counters off guard, while still being able to operate outside those parameters as well.

And seriously, 'oh, just switch out after using superpower against ferrothorn so you won't be dead weight' is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Forcing azumarill out is a victory for ferro in that scenario, as now it can leech seed/set up rocks/attack/switch to it's own teammate on your switch, and the momentum has shifted in the favor of ferro's team. This set, however, can sub to avoid leech seed, and threaten either ferro OR whatever the opponent switches in from behind it's sub, giving azumarill's team the momentum.

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
That's why his set is a LURE. It's not supposed to be a standard set; That's the whole point. And it's not just a lure for ferrothorn, either. This set handles a different set of pokemon than standard AV/CB azumarills can altogether. This set is effective at dealing with more defensive 'mons that azumarill would otherwise have trouble with, such as ferrothorn, chansey, or skarmory, to name only a few. Being able to do this frees up the rest of your team to target OTHER threats instead of COVERING for azumarill against these types of pokemon, which is the whole point of a lure to begin with. I mean, do we really need to have a refresher course on why substitute is good, ESPECIALLY when it breaks the 100 HP benchmark? I don't think anyone would ever say this should become a standard set that everyone thinks of when considering azumarill for their team, but it IS a good surprise set to catch some of azumarill's counters off guard, while still being able to operate outside those parameters as well.

And seriously, 'oh, just switch out after using superpower against ferrothorn so you won't be dead weight' is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Forcing azumarill out is a victory for ferro in that scenario, as now it can leech seed/set up rocks/attack/switch to it's own teammate on your switch, and the momentum has shifted in the favor of ferro's team. This set, however, can sub to avoid leech seed, and threaten either ferro OR whatever the opponent switches in from behind it's sub, giving azumarill's team the momentum.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 135-160 (40.4 - 47.9%) -- 58.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 355-418 (55.2 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 315-372 (49 - 57.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 320-378 (90.9 - 107.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 214-252 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Why is a lure set necessary again?

Also, who the flying fuck under any circumstances uses Chansey as an answer to any Azumarill?

Has anyone been successful with scolipede in the oras ou meta? You can go different ways with it, either life orb and some attacks (and baton pass), or use hazards, or pass SD and/or substitutes, but it's bad against flying spam.

mega dactyl only checks offensive mega alt if SR isn't up

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 196-232 (67.3 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 220-261 (73 - 86.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It does beat out special bruiser versions though...

252 SpA Pixilate Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 178-210 (59.1 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Pixilate Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 195-231 (64.7 - 76.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Defensive versions of mega alt will only win if running return (mega aero has surprisingly good spd... Mega aero-TTar new meta?)

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Altaria: 144-170 (40.6 - 48%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Pixilate Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 144-169 (47.8 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 178-210 (59.1 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So yeah, mega aero is a very shaky check tbh.
I don't know... What's the power of a Pokémon that has more special attacks likes Altaria?

Altaria @ Altarialite (it's wrong?)
Ability: Natural Cure >>> Pixialite
252 Spe / 4 HP / 252 SpA
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
- Roost

It's one good moveset, it can Break much Walls, likes Ferrothorn, it can destruct one MCX with no Reduction of Attack with the WoW Roost. Draco Meteor Destructs Pokémons likes Charizard Y... Hyper Voice catch Dragons and Darks like Haxorus, Mandybuzz and Anothers. Roost can Restore it's HP...

(Sorry for the English, i'm a Brazilian. Sorry sorry sorry...)

I don't know... What's the power of a Pokémon that has more special attacks likes Altaria?

Altaria @ Altarialite (it's wrong?)
Ability: Natural Cure >>> Pixialite
252 Spe / 4 HP / 252 SpA
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
- Roost

It's one good moveset, it can Break much Walls, likes Ferrothorn, it can destruct one MCX with no Reduction of Attack with the WoW Roost. Draco Meteor Destructs Pokémons likes Charizard Y... Hyper Voice catch Dragons and Darks like Haxorus, Mandybuzz and Anothers. Roost can Restore it's HP...

(Sorry for the English, i'm a Brazilian. Sorry sorry sorry...)
I don't really see much of a point in Dragon STAB on Mega Altaria; Pixilate Hyper Voice pretty much covers everything Draco could hope to.

Has anyone been successful with scolipede in the oras ou meta? You can go different ways with it, either life orb and some attacks (and baton pass), or use hazards, or pass SD and/or substitutes, but it's bad against flying spam.
I have had quite a bit of success with Scolipede with only minor adjustments to my XY quickpass team (link in sig). Even the mighty Mega Salamence fails to stop scoli from setting up some IDs after reflect is up, and ID + speed boost >>>> DD all day every day. Check it out sometime.

I don't really see much of a point in Dragon STAB on Mega Altaria; Pixilate Hyper Voice pretty much covers everything Draco could hope to.
It helps with Fire types, but other than that Draco Meteor's kind of redundant. I'd rather go mixed and use Earthquake for Heatran and Mega Camerupt.

Togekiss @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd (Bold) or
Evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / Calm Spd (Calm)
Bold/Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Nasty Plot/Healbell/ThunderWave

Here's my Slow BP set that I am enjoying. I pass it off to any fast sweepers like Mmence, Greninja, Msceptile, Mloppuny and the Lati@s. i send out togekiss predicting that the opponent will use a pokemon that can counter it like Rotom Wash, Magnezone, Scizor etc. activating the Weakness Policy then using BP. It needs a team with defoggers/spinners though. With Togekiss' bulk, it can withstand some of its unboosted weaknesses (with no stealth rock).

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 240-284 (64.1 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Togekiss: 270-318 (72.1 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 224-265 (59.8 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 212-252 (56.6 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Togekiss @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd (Bold) or
Evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / Calm Spd (Calm)
Bold/Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Nasty Plot/Healbell/ThunderWave

Here's my Slow BP set that I am enjoying. I pass it off to any fast sweepers like Mmence, Greninja, Msceptile, Mloppuny and the Lati@s. i send out togekiss predicting that the opponent will use a pokemon that can counter it like Rotom Wash, Magnezone, Scizor etc. activating the Weakness Policy then using BP. It needs a team with defoggers/spinners though. With Togekiss' bulk, it can withstand some of its unboosted weaknesses (with no stealth rock).

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 240-284 (64.1 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Togekiss: 270-318 (72.1 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 224-265 (59.8 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 212-252 (56.6 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
That looks pretty cool to use with perhaps Mega Metagross. 4 out of the 5 things that hit Togekiss SE are resisted by Mega Metagross after all.

The main issue with trying to use psych up to beat BP is that espeon (the most common receiver by far) pretty much wins any boosting war by virtue of stored power. If you bring in latias early on into CM espy, then you're basically getting into a CM war that you will not win. If you bring it in too late, then you are simply OHKO'd. I'm sure that it works well against other CMers (beware of CM unaware clefable though, or CM clefable in general really), but I'm not seeing how this checks BP at all.
It doesn't 100% (or even 50%) of the time (was just hilarious how I trolled him that one time, he rage quit the moment I swiped his boosts), but mind that you resist stored power and that unless said espy is max speed timid you can outpace it (and it won't like a dragon pulse, especially before it subs down), beyond that, the team it was on had M-Sableye anyway (who trolls BP so hard it isn't even funny). The main thing it has is beating CroCune-esque sweepers (which the Regice set I mentioned did in Gen 3) and being a 100% safe switch in to Keldeo and Calm Mind Landorus-I along with being easier to get for a WiFi player like myself. It's not splashable, but I like it for what it is--my niche counter to CroMegaBro/CroCune, Keldeo, (Knock Off-less) Landorus-I, and Zard Y.

Mega Salamence needs to get out ASAP. This monster is absolutely ridiculous, way more so than even DPP Mence! DPP Mence was broken more so because of its versatility than plainly being way too overpowered. Mega Mence is even more versatile and waaaayyyyyyy too overpowered for OU. Just look at the things stats and movepool!!! It can go physical, special, mixed and has all of the coverage moves it needs to do practically whatever it wants and then some. It has zero counters and even some "would-be counters" get absolutely screwed over by slight variations in it sets. Not to mention its great bulk (plus intimidate and roost) and high speed which make it all even easier. I could go on and on, but i think everyone knows why mence is so broken and ill let this replay speak for itself.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-181871774

Rotom-W, great Mega Salamence answer, right? Well, as you can see in this replay, I run a set of Return, Roost, Dragon Dance, and Substitute, on my Mega Salamence. This not only stops shit like Rotom-W, Mew, Chansey, Clefable, etc. from tanking a hit and statusing mega mence mid sweep, but it allows for a free substitute as well. A mono attacking set may seem stupid at first, but if you think about it, it's really not. First off, this set can still be Rotom-W, Zapdos, non-whirlwind Skarmory, and most Heatran anyways. Secondly, pair it up with a Mag or Dugtrio and it gets even easier. Finally, if your opponent sees a Salamence on your team, dont you think theyre more likely to save their Rotom-W instead of their Tyranitar to stop Mega Salamence?

Anyways, this poor fellow lost the game on the very first turn and there was really no way he couldve anticipated what I was doing.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
amcheck

Realtalk though, I don't think you're your set's that great. CB does those things already without forgoing Water coverage and priority, which are 2 of Azumarill's biggest assets.
Either way, you just can't use Azumarill without using Aqua Jet. And besides, Ferrothorn probably isn't going to come in until your opponent is certain you don't have Superpower. Besides, with the replay provided, Choice Band Azumarill would have done better. I can't really think of a reason to run this set over Choice Band Azumarill, or any other Azumarill set. Professional2341, maybe at least run Aqua Jet over Toxic? Beating one Pokemon (Slowbro is the only legitimate one you brought up, you'd have to be stupid to switch Landorus-T in on Azumarill) does not warrant giving up the utility of Aqua Jet. Not that I get the point of the set anyway; doesn't seem to fill any specific niche since Azumarill can already beat Ferrothorn by running Superpower, and running Superpower over Knock Off doesn't sacrifice Azumarill's biggest assets, like your set does.

1. Set up screens
2. Switch to scoli
3. Set up Iron Defense
4. Pass to mega latias
5. Set up Calm Mind
6.gg
Nice lol, but what sucks is that Latias doesn't get taunt to avoid getting phazed (I wanted to use taunt Lati to beat MegaBro, but I settled on something else). Scoli's biggest nightmares nowadays are Quagsire, Zapdos (if it gets in and roars it out w/o taking a rock slide), and above all skarmory (walls it, phases it out, defogs the hazards, and does a potential huge amount with Brave Bird).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)