One Piece Manga Discussion Thread - SPOILERS

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And Raikage spoke the truth.

2 weeks waiting for only 15 pages :(

Aww.... Magma, well at least no Roses!!! Though bar the 15 pages thing it was a nice chapter, but where is Luffy???

Akainu's power not being shown is really getting on my nerves -_-

Luffy is taking his sweet ass time to get into the battle.

Oars got taken down too fast imo.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
shit is gonna get real next week. also the double page spreads seem to be petering off :)

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm kind of getting tired of these week long breaks (had to read all 151 chapters of fairy tail this week to tide myself over D:<), but the action is starting to get really exciting.

Luffy is back in the fold! Wonder where he will land? It looks like he is going to land near Ace, meaning he might have to deal with an admiral.

This poses a question...how far is Luffy from admiral strength? I actually believe "strength" wise that Luffy is comparable. Yes, even after getting whooped by Sentomarou and Kizaru. The reason for this is simple: I believe his losses were a "breadth" issue and not a "depth" issue. Luffy, with his current battle knowledge, simply does not know how to hit people using haki as a defense (sentomarou) or how to hit logia users (I could go along with all the "probably obvious" theories that haki is the end all answer and that's how rayleigh was able to connect with kizaru, but until it is actually confirmed I would rather just leave it open ended).

Haki is, translated, will / ambition, and in a manga where the will to live, the will to pursue freedom, and the ambition to pursue your dreams is so paramount that it often amounts to strength, it is no surprise that Oda has decided to make some sort of manifestation of will / ambition, "haki," into strength. The only question regarding Luffy and his current power is when he will be able to utilize what has been confirmed as a rare and extremely powerful haki (in the amazon lily arc).

This entire overall arc, from the flying fish riders (when Luffy paralyzes the bull) to shabondy (with Rayleigh in the auction house and then "maybe with kizaru" and sentomarou on luffy) to amazon lily (all the women to luffy's outburst) to impel down (iva's comments on luffy inhumane will to blackbeard commenting that luffy's haki has improved), has been about Oda throwing haki and luffy's potential in our faces. And unless Blackbeard's "shake the world" comments lead to another climax for this arc, I think it is safe to assume that this Whitebeard vs. WG war is the climax point of this overall arc. What happens in the climax? Everything Oda has been hinting at regarding Luffy and Haki finally comes to fruition =) I predict that some event is going to send Luffy over the top, and he will come to at the very least have beginning level control of his haki and manage to significantly damage, if not defeat, an admiral (hopefully bastard Akainu though Luffy really needs to kick Kizaru's ass for the past).

What event might cause this is interesting speculation for me. Since it's Oda, I doubt Sengoku's plan to quickly execute Ace will work (I don't even believe Bon chan is dead :P), but there are a bunch of other potentially traumatic actions that might occur. Garp might end up, in franctic desperation, taking whatever blade is meant for Ace; Iva / Inazuma / Jimbei (you know Luffy already considers him a friend) might end up getting demolished by an admiral (might be more effective if it is Akainu and Luffy somehow learns he is the bastard who killed all the scholars); Magellan might end up coming in on a ship with a practically dead Bon chan in tow :P.

But aside from the where will luffy land / how strong is he / will he use haki / what traumatic event will push luffy over the top...lots of other action / questions too.

How will Whitebeard stop Sengoku's plan? Whitebeard has barely been getting serious and he already whooped a Giant Vice Admiral lol. If he gets serious can he make the distance between between himself and Sengoku by himself? How strong exactly is Sengoku? We saw that Tsuru was considered a tactician but she was strong enough to defend herself against new world pirates (admittedly just no namers but still). Note that Sengoku told Garp that HE wouldn't forgive him; not the marines or "we," but "he." Is Sengoku stronger than Garp?

I could keep going on and on about this, so I'll just stop there (plenty of more topics to talk about, like Hancock's reaction to Luffy being there, Coby's growth or lack of).

Thoughts on this exciting chapter in One Piece?

Luffy still has a long to go physically as well, actually. He knows he's totally outclassed by Garp and Garp's only a Vice-Admiral. Also, he's not quite packing as much power as the top tiers of OP yet. Admirals casually bust city blocks, if not greater - Luffy needed Gear 3 to break past a reinforced steel door. Admittedly that was a couple of arcs ago, but his improvement hasn't been that dramatic, and the difference is great.

Haki + arci mprovements would probably send him from, say Upper Middle Tier (seems a bit low, but consider that he beat Croc and Moria with severe plot), to Lower High Tier or even High Tier, but I'm pretty sure he's still nowhere near top tier. He's still got plenty of time to grow. If the SHs are anywhere near Admiral level the manga is going to be ending very, very, soon, which I doubt.

Sengoku is definitely stronger than Garp, he's the freakin` Fleet Admiral!

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i doubt luffy can defeat any of the logias present, he only beat crocodile and eneru with thanks to type weakness.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Luffy still has a long to go physically as well, actually. He knows he's totally outclassed by Garp and Garp's only a Vice-Admiral. Also, he's not quite packing as much power as the top tiers of OP yet. Admirals casually bust city blocks, if not greater - Luffy needed Gear 3 to break past a reinforced steel door. Admittedly that was a couple of arcs ago, but his improvement hasn't been that dramatic, and the difference is great.

Haki + arci mprovements would probably send him from, say Upper Middle Tier (seems a bit low, but consider that he beat Croc and Moria with severe plot), to Lower High Tier or even High Tier, but I'm pretty sure he's still nowhere near top tier. He's still got plenty of time to grow. If the SHs are anywhere near Admiral level the manga is going to be ending very, very, soon, which I doubt.

Sengoku is definitely stronger than Garp, he's the freakin` Fleet Admiral!
Your first 2 paragraphs make sense (I was actually on the "Luffy only beat Croc and Geck Moria due to circumstance" boat for a long time), and I could definitely see them being true.

I wouldn't be so definitively absolute with Sen Goku > garp though! Well, maybe _now_ Sengoku >>> Garp, but remember, Whitebeard stated that Garp, Roger, Sengoku were all around during the "old times," and it is Garp, not Sen Goku that cornered Roger many times.

I find it hard to believe that Sen Goku was fleet admiral 22 years ago too (so he wouldn't be out doing duty), meaning he along with Garp would both have the opportunity to chase Roger.

I'll definitely acknowledge that Sen Goku is probably stronger than Garp now, but I'm hesitant to add the "definitely" marker and I'm definitely hesitant to consider Sen Goku way stronger than Garp during Garp's prime.

However...I wouldn't mind some more super powerful marines =) It seems to me that the marines as a force are overall a bit weaker than I would like...

I find it hard to believe that Sen Goku was fleet admiral 22 years ago too (so he wouldn't be out doing duty), meaning he along with Garp would both have the opportunity to chase Roger
I am not sure if you actually wanted to say that but yeah, he wasnt a Fleet Admiral 20 years ago. "Just"(?) an Admiral.

I've been barely paying attention to it since we hit around 500... Could someone tell me what chapter shows what happened to the rest of the Straw Hat crew? Thanks.

Oh, and who are Akainu and Doflamingo?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well there hasn't been any posts in this thread for awhile, but there has been some very exciting turnabout in the One Piece story.

A few chapters ago Luffy final reaches the platform where Ace is being held, Jozu is frozen, Marco was shot by Lasers, and Whitebeard is bleeding from his chest and taken much more of a beating than anyone else this war. Luffy confronts his Grandpa, Garp, who is blocking his way to Ace. Grap pulls a punch and gets a Jet Bullet Punch to the face, sending him off the platform. Mr. 3 is one of the guards Luffy knocked out with his burst of Haki and frees Ace from his cuffs, while Luffy goes Gear 3 to take a punch for the Buddha like Sengoku. Ace and Luffy then fight some marines and Whitebeard ordered all his men to retreat. While running away Akainu talks poorly about Whitebeard and Ace battles him. Akainu burns Ace, since Magma > Fire and then goes for Luffy. Ace jumps in the way and gets a fist of magma through his chest, it's shown his vivre card burning up.

I find this turn of events amazingly shocking, since Oda tends to not kill characters, so I wonder why he decided to make Ace go. All the same, the Whitebeard pirates just sacrificed a whole bunch of men, Jozu lost an arm and Marco got shot and almost died by Kizaru. Let's not forget, because of this war, Whitebeard got stabbed through the chest, among a whole bunch of other things, basically putting him on the verge of death. All of this was to save Ace, however now that Ace is dead (or I'd assume so) then how is everyone going to react.

I don't really think Luffy is going to get mad, he just saw his brother, one of the people he loves the most die right in front of him, I don't think rage would happen before just a lack of will to go on. Whitebeard also must be heartbroken, and I suspect that he will without a doubt bring the marine base down because of what just happened. It is such a devastating blow to the entire crew, the reactions will be beyond sad. After Luffy meets up with his crew and stops mourning Ace I think he will swear to beat both Akainu and Blackbeard to a pulp, the two people responsible for Ace's death.

Also apparently this is Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old, which means we might be looking at a time skip after this arc.

also sorry about the long bump, I thought it would be better than making a new topic.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Next. Chapter. Is. Epic. I have the spoilers already.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Please don't post anything from this chapter until it's released! Some people don't like to read the spoilers before the full chapter is out and subbed.

but yea this chapter is baller

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Public Service Announcement: I am now fully caught up in the manga. And it's Smogon's fault. That's right. Both spoilers that I heard and made me give up on staying anime-only were from Smogonites.

Fuck you guys >:(

Anyhoo, holy shit. Last week's chapter is the one I have been waiting for forever. I saw Page 13 and was like "Wait, that looks like SHANKS OH MY GOD SHANKS" and confirmation comes just after :) Sooo good.

Now a one week break after a 38 chapter binge :(

Interesting that the arc seems to be over. When I moved from anime -> manga in Naruto, I did it just as the Pain arc ended =P

I'm also happy to have found a much better scanlation site than onemanga/mangafox/mangashare's craptastic compression + translations. I still prefer reading the official Viz releases on real paper, but I'll just use that to relive this again and again. Two more months of 5 volume releases before they go to a regular schedule starting with Impel Down.

ah, cool, that makes sense.. I always thought the guy that made that one made a mistake, but I guess it was for Sabu.

Not sure if he'll die (Sabu), but could be interesting seeing him later in the present story.

Public Service Announcement: I am now fully caught up in the manga. And it's Smogon's fault. That's right. Both spoilers that I heard and made me give up on staying anime-only were from Smogonites.

Fuck you guys >:(
^_^ you are completely welcome!

Sabu is a boring as fuck character so far, but seeing more of Ace + Luffy was not so bad.

god, that long break is killing me, I'm expecting a time skip though.. will be pretty awesome to see how the group matured and stuff

last few chapters were dope and Oda is keeping shit so interesting atm !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)