One Piece Manga Discussion Thread - SPOILERS

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
THERE UNTAGGED SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - BEWARE!

Approved by Firestorm

This thread is to discuss the One Piece manga up to the latest chapter without the need for white text.

Topics inlude but are not limited to:
  • Theories
  • Reactions to ... stuff
  • Character Discussion
I hope this thread does well because One Piece is amazing! I will personally respond to Peterko's post in the other thread tomorrow I think.
PS I made this because Aldaron is lazy.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
man, i was so exicted that bon clay was joining the team. why do all my favorite characters have to sacrifice themselves :(

i cant wait to see what will happen at the execution. firstly, whitebeard has to be showing up, the question is who else is. dragon? shanks? by some fate, the rest of the straw hat crew? and smoker was shown at the execution too, is he finally gonna mix it up with luffy.

and whats jimbai connection with arlong. son maybe?

i also like how the rest of the straw hat crew landed on an island that will help them grow (except for maybe sanji. well, all that running will surely increase his leg strength)

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Regarding Sanji, he'll probably learn Okama Kenpo to increase the variety in his style.

I don't think Dragon will appear at the execution since he has no real connection to Ace. Shanks might though, son of his former captain could be important -- though Shanks could still be fighting Kaidou.

I think this chapter will be really good, there are some spoilers available, but I won't discuss them here because some people like to read the chapters fresh.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
ya, i just went back and read that, and dragon could come though, since ivanakov an inazuma are going itd be bad if the revolution lost 2 important people.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yay!

@ Jimbo: you can also respond to my post in here

it´s been a while since I´ve been that excited about something like a new manga chapter but seriously I can´t wait for the next one these days (hopefully thursday around)

yeah please no spoilers of the next chapter I´d like to read it :)

haha I read some comments on different one piece fan forums (haven´t done this before) just to see what people think...but it was partially disgusting as like 25% argued why mihawk and sexy beast hancock looked "so tall" in the last chapter...

then like 60% people went crazy over the fact that ace is roger´s son and they desperately needed some kind of blood relationship between ace and luffy still and dragon and garp and the whole faimily thing...

I mean why the fuck would they care I mean don´t people read / watch this story at all? why is it of such an importance to those people? it´s like noone noticed the plain obvious personality of the main character when it comes to his friends and how the loss of one of his friends would be the worst thing ever (he totally collapsed after kuma teleported everyone away)

luffy couldn´t care less who his real father is (he didn´t even know he had one)
luffy couldn´t care less whether ace is literally "his brother" because they grew up together like brothers and share the same dreams and it seems that ace kind of took care of luffy (worried about him)
for ace whitebeard is his "father" and for whitebeard each member of his crew is his "son"

yeah anyone noticed that luffy´s description of "the pirate king" is somewhat influenced by what promise he made with ace? that they would try be free as one can be (not the exact wording but was a flashback of ace in ch. 549 I think)

so...luffy will do everything he can to save ace and so will whitebeard, I have no doubt about that

well, I don´t care that ace is roger´s son, but as I said in the other topic, this is the main reason for such an exemplary show-off execution, it´s all about the politics, the effects are stronger after the revelation

about dragon saving the day...this is more a wish than anything else because everyone sees that whitebeard will fall in this war, and it would make perfect sense that ace would die right here and there as well...yeah I know that people don´t die in that universe that easily and that fans would get upset about a possible death of ace/ whitebeard, but IMO this makes the most sense to me at this point of the story

@ atlas: well the revolutionary army already "lost" those two before, because they were locked up and then partying in impel down and IIRC they didn´t have a set date when to break out (at the time they met luffy)

seriously, how can ace be "something" or have a future after this kind of "humiliation"? lol please no "he will be a strawhat" comments that´s plain ridiculous...

as for whitebeard, there is no way for him to beat the marine HQ by himself...I could see an epic 3on1 against the admirals though :D which would be and awesome way to "fall"...one the other hand, the marines can´t "fall" at this point in the story...hmm maybe they could rebuild somehow or some

I can´t see the strawhats coming together anywhere before the war ends...that´s just unrealistic...hmm I don t´want to think about what they might learn / how they become stronger because it is clear they have to be stronger and get together later somehow, it will happen...but right now that´s a side-story and I focus on the main one

This thread is so much better. My eyes were hurting seeing too much Blue and White.

I'm pretty sure Dragon won't come. Whitebeard probably will fall, seeing as he has no chance with the admirals and Shichibukai. But I'm hoping Ace won't have to die.

And I agree people are focusing a bit too much on the details. But it is strange why Mihawk and Boa were so tall. Oda probably used it for effect to show off their awesomeness.

And I'm still upset about Bon-chan.

Peterko

Never give up!
"bon-chan" is a hero and has a chance to survive...maybe even a higher chance than ace at this point lol

remember there´s mr.unpredictable with his crew in impel down who wants to do something there...I don´t think his main plan was to get a new crewmember although he got one, I have no idea...I thought he could destroy the whole thing or release everyone...maybe there´s another important person he wants to set free as he went on deeper into ID after the little rumble with luffy before they got caught in hydra hmm...I´d have to reread it

omg hahaha I love blackbeards face when he eats the first jet pistol :D :D :D

oh yeah jet pistol is my favourite attack

blackbeard said: you just hold on folks!! in just a few hours, we´ll be showing ya the ultimate show to shake this world to its core!!!

no idea if he was talking about the war or something else...maybe he wanted to face magellan for some reason :/ that guy is a serious mystery...just like kuma

Jimbo

take me anywhere
Oh man this week's chapter was really awesome in my opinion. Some points:

-I was disapointed one of the spoilers earlier in this week was fake : | When two of the pirates were revealed they had they're bounties: 344 Mil and 609 Mil. I thought this made the possibility of Luffy's bounty jumping a lot more real. I say this because Oda stated in an SBS that bounties go up to 500 mil, but Aldaron and I speculated that this is only for the first half of the Grand Line... whatever.

-Portgas is a really well drawn ( ; D) and cool character.

-Gol D. Roger not laughing maniacally or looking angry... cool!

-There's a female giant, the first I think? Check the first panel with the giants in this chapter, the one on the left definitely has curves.

-Next chapter will be hella awesome...unless it's a flashback or something.

Peterko

Never give up!
yeah definitely usopp, now he simply can´t run away from danger (pretty much anytime he´s scared), his fat will absorb physical damage and his shooting will improve due to more stability :D

these were my first impressions from yesterday:

the marines being so surprised is a bit hardly believable..

fact 1 - whitebeard was in the new world, wich means on the other side of the red line
fact 2 - the only way to get back to where marine HQ is for pirates, is through fishman island
fact 3 - to get through fishman island you need coated ships as it is underwater

the marine unprepared / bad tactics eh? weird

nice entrance for whitebeard in the middle of it all, seems like he´s very confident in his own, his crew´s and his allies´ strength, most of all, in saving ace...he looks like he´s able to just leap and land on the platform where ace is :)

the story didn´t move on "that much" (I mean the actual fighting hasn´t started):

1. usopp is now fat and happy, funny but weird

2. roger asking garp as the one he had countless battles to the death with, to take care of his child, was a logical and easily predictable explanation...the concept is that you learn the true nature of your oponent in such battles and garp is a good man, thus roger entrusted him the safety of his son

- yeah we already knew that garp wasn´t a pussy but strong as hell, now officially revealed to be an equal of the late pirate king, no wonder his son and grandson are that crazy and strong...that´s why luffy has the potential to become the pirate king, so does (did) ace (pointed out by sengoku)...they´re both "young" in the one piece world, their abilities not fully developed yet

- also what´s obvious from what sengoku told the world, garp didn´t tell the marines about ace´s existence, they only found out like a year after ace became a pirate

garp is the man

3. hmm, the war war scenery:

- doflamingo seems determined to face off
- moria is excited that there was such a miracle as roger´s son
- kuma is without emotion and unpredictable
- mihawk seemed shocked or angry (?) by the revelation and we know too little about him to predict what he does
- boa analyzed the relation between luffy and ace, either way I hope she´ll help luffy once again when she sees him / hears him scream something typical of him...it´d be nice if she kicked some serious butt in the process
- whitebeard brought allies with him, the marine recognizes them as powerful pirates (made a name in the new world), so it´s not as one-sided as it seemed before this chapter

4. what confused me a bit was that whitebeard wants to make ace the new pirate king and that ace was delusioned about him wanting to make whitebeard the pirate king...this doesn´t seem to fit in with my image of whitebeard as the proud "I am the best" pirate but whatever

- this fact could mean that ace will be saved, after all, making fans happy...this would be a huge disgrace for the marine though, which means that it has to be evened out somehow by at least whitebeard going down (this would correspond with whitebeards role above)

5. this is a somewhat new situation as there are too many known characters and too many possible pairings, I wonder how oda approaches this.

- one-on-ones could take 3 years to finish...he could do only the most important ones like whitebeard vs 3 admirals (lol this is just my wish)
- big all out war would be a mess...or there are such power differences that one WB weapon swing > 1000 marines fly or something
- this may also end pretty quickly with the help of some surprises

yeah I personally don´t want to see each of the 14 WB division leaders in action, I don´t care who they are or how strong, there are already plenty of interesting fighters in the story...let some of the main characters battle please

6. luffy is one lucky guy as stated by the blackbeard pirates, I mean the door just opened :D

now I´m not sure where the gates are positioned and how far from the marine HQ´(I have to check some maps or something), but hopefully they´re more from the side than from the front or else he´d have to pass the main battlefield (I mean the 43 WB allied ships) somehow...I could see him using the mess to sneak in...well, he likes big entrances and will rather scream something lol

that´s all for now

EDIT: I´m still one "ace won´t survive this" side...he still looks to have a broken spirit, like he gave up (remember his flashbacks with luffy as they wer kids?), his will to live, to survive and to be someone is nowhere to be found and nowhere near comparable to luffy´s at this point...he was always a laid back kind of guy who didn´t care about anything and thus "cool", but now he´s just a wreck...I don´t like it and how can he recover from that?

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
4. what confused me a bit was that whitebeard wants to make ace the new pirate king and that ace was delusioned about him wanting to make whitebeard the pirate king...this doesn´t seem to fit in with my image of whitebeard as the proud "I am the best" pirate but whatever
the military just thinks whitebeard want to make ace the best, i dont think he had any intention to do so. i doubt WB even knew (lol, well maybe) that ace is gold rogers son.

- this fact could mean that ace will be saved, after all, making fans happy...this would be a huge disgrace for the marine though, which means that it has to be evened out somehow by at least whitebeard going down (this would correspond with whitebeards role above)
well, with ennies lobby conquered and impel down destroyed, i think the the marines should be used to it. might as well finish off the trifecta and bring down marineford. and i do think whitebeard wont make it out alive, i think this will let fire ace up and lead the WB pirates, ironically, to just how the marines thought.

5. this is a somewhat new situation as there are too many known characters and too many possible pairings, I wonder how oda approaches this.
well, its gonna be a combination of all out war with some 1 on 1 battles. white beards crew will take on the low level marines, leaving all the big guys to take on the big guys, which will probably take a while. that or everything will be gone once blackbeard ends up appearing and sucking everything up.

also, i hope buggy's crew ends up making it to the battle, even the latter half so buggy can take back his ship. im assuming alvida was taking it towards the red line so she'd have to go around the currents (going left, no problem, going right would bring make them pass marineford before getting there).

Peterko

Never give up!
the recent buggy scenes are pretty funny and people seem to like them so far (the last where he made it seem like he opened the gate was hilarious), but I fear he´ll be the next mr.satan who got on my nerves soo much the first time I watched DBZ :/

the sooner they part ways the better :)

well, luffy´s just before the gate so probably only like 30 minutes away and the war won´t be over so quickly (hopefully)

the marine HQ can´t fall at this point, whitebeard will lose...on the other hand, maybe oda wants a new kind of disorganized marine split into individual groups who will still hunt down pirates, if only for their won justice ideals...I could see people like smoker doing this

this waiting is a pain...there should be at least 2 chapters per week or something :/ if it gets unbrearable I´ll just wait a few weeks and read 4-5 at once

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
ahh, we got an ace backstory. and whitebeard cutting loose, quakeman ftw. and lol at luffy "oh but ace is gold rogers father....but dont tell its a secret"

Yeah I read the newest One Piece today. Hmmm. I usually like backstories but this one was strangely dissapointing o.o

I love White Beards Devil Fruit ability. And yeah it was funny how Luffy acted like it was no big deal.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
man, i was so exicted that bon clay was joining the team. why do all my favorite characters have to sacrifice themselves :(
The worst part is that I feel he won't come back :( I know Pell survived to an explosion that was meant to turn the whole Alabastan Palace flat, but still...

except for maybe sanji. well, all that running will surely increase his leg strength
Sanji's problem is that he never gets into fights with women. Now that he's in a transvestite island, I guess he'll get over this "chivalry" of his.

seriously, how can ace be "something" or have a future after this kind of "humiliation"? lol please no "he will be a strawhat" comments that´s plain ridiculous...
He will become an okama :)

I can´t see the strawhats coming together anywhere before the war ends...that´s just unrealistic...
Problem is, unless Whitebeard falls in the next chapters, the war won't end. I agree with you that it's mostly probable Ace will die soon, and I believe Luffy will have to run again for his life, and only then the strawhats will come together.

remember there´s mr.unpredictable with his crew in impel down who wants to do something there...I don´t think his main plan was to get a new crewmember although he got one, I have no idea...I thought he could destroy the whole thing or release everyone...maybe there´s another important person he wants to set free as he went on deeper into ID after the little rumble with luffy before they got caught in hydra hmm...I´d have to reread it
Mr. "Unpredictable"? Who are you talking about?

garp is the man
You know, I wonder if Garp will get some kind of punishment for taking care of Roger's son and not telling it to anyone. As you said, he and Roger were rivals, so obviously he's strong as fuck, but would the Marine let such a "traitor" still be a vice-admiral?

6. luffy is one lucky guy as stated by the blackbeard pirates, I mean the door just opened :D
C'mon Peterko, that was clearly a miracle by Buggy.

the military just thinks whitebeard want to make ace the best, i dont think he had any intention to do so. i doubt WB even knew (lol, well maybe) that ace is gold rogers son.
It was revealed in this (or last) week's chapter that WB knew about it. I think it was said in a flashback.

That said, I think it's amazing that WB, the pirate most likely to be the next pirate king, is a "weak" Paramecia man. I seriously thought he had eaten some kind of uber-Logia fruit (which could make him control the seas? whatever) instead.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
Earthquakes probably could control ocean currents if they were accurate and powerful enough o.o;

I just wonder how Luffy's side is going to handle the marines + the suchibukai. I mean, the marines have the Light user and the suchibukai have the Darkness user. Do the pirates stand a chance?

Jimbo

take me anywhere
Well Blackbeard isn't in the fight and won't be imo (unless he comes really late). At the moment he's in Impel Down.

And Luffy's not alone, he has Jimbei, Ivankov, and the Whitebeard Pirates (as well as the pirates from the New World) on "his side," I don't think they'll go down easy.

He will become an okama :)
[/qoute]

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo not goob, sanji should remain a gentleman, it makes him so much cooler, and leaves the ladies for the ladies to fight. or the monster trio would obliterate everyone (zolo,luffy,sanji)

Mr. "Unpredictable"? Who are you talking about?[/qoute/

black beard, marshall d teach

i wanna see what ol rocogator does, maybe he'll finish black beard?

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
holy shit! you know this is an epic battle when EVERY PAGE IS A DOUBLE SPREAD

hawkeye getting rejected by a diamond fruit user and marco, whose aparently a blue flame logia user? stopping kizaru was pretty awsome.

Yeah, this week's chapter was awesome and I loved the introductions they gave to Whitebeard's commanders. Although I didn't quite understand the power of the blue flame devil fruit user.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And at last the great question will be answered, if Zoro can cut through Steel, can Mihawk do the same with Diamond?

Also why no Akianu action yet? :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)