Tournament OMPL XI - Week 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader

Art by Blazenix
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Playoffs | Finals
Information Thread | Roster | Schedule | Standings | Replays
There are 8 teams this year. Each team will have have 8 players and at least 4 subs. The players are bought using the 100k credits that managers receive during the auction. Managers and co-managers will be allowed to purchase themselves as players for their team at a fixed price of 13.5k. The managers must inform the hosts (Isaiah, UT, and KaenSoul) of all self purchases before the beginning of the auction. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 5 of the 8 matches that their players have to play.
The tier lineup this year is as follows:​
  1. SV Almost Any Ability
  2. SV Balanced Hackmons
  3. SV Godly Gift
  4. SV Mix and Mega
  5. SV NFE
  6. SV STABmons
  7. SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5)
  8. SV Anything Goes
It is recommended to play all games on SmogTours in the most current version of the format corresponding to those listed above. Games can be played on the Pokemon Showdown main server, but run higher risk of interference from server restarts/crashes. The result between players may be decided in a best-of-one or best-of-three at the discretion of both players involved. If there is no agreement, the result will decided in a Bo1 by default.​
Winning a round rewards a team with 2 points, drawing 1 point, and losing zero points. In addition, the manner in which the round has been won will also be recorded i.e. the difference between a team's wins and losses in a specific week's round (referred to as "Win Differential").​
Playoffs:​
Each team will play one another for seven weeks. Based on the final standings, the top 4 teams will enter a Playoffs Round to determine the teams appearing in the finals.​

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).​

Tiebreaker Rules: One metagame will be picked by each manager, and each manager will also pick one metagame to strike. Additionally, each manager will submit a backup meta to strike in case their choice is the same as the opposing team's pick. The third format will be determined at random by the hosts from the remaining unpicked, unstruck metagames. In the event that the picks and strikes from each manager are the same, the hosts will determine both the second and third format at random based on the remaining options. All three metagames must be unique, so no format can be picked twice.​

Substitutes
Substitutes are to be used in the case of extenuating circumstances, whether on the first day of the week, or the last. At the same time, players should be relatively well-aware of who all are available to play in the opponent's camp. If last minute substitutes are being frequently used or abused and the hosts find explanations unsatisfactory, the hosts still reserve the right to veto them. In order to further prevent this being the case teams are only granted a maximum of two substitutes per week. Any substitutions after the second will be vetoed.​

Trades
The hosts have decided to not include trades this year due to reasons outlined in this thread - all roster decisions will be final, so draft carefully!​

Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on Smogon Profile walls, plain and simple:​
  • If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. Feel free to call activity in this thread beforehand
  • If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win.
TL;DR: Post on your opponent's Smogon wall, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you can't play for any reason, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.​
Use these posts as a place to initiate discussion about bo1 or bo3 as well (or bo5 vs bo7 for 2v2)!

Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to the Other Metagame Premier League will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the OMPL host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.​
All players must complete their matches by the given deadline. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to an activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S WALL); otherwise, it will be a deadgame. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for OMPL with) to avoid confusion and all match replays must be saved and posted in this thread.​

Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent, and all of the hosts (Isaiah, UT, KaenSoul). This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.​
Managers, when you send in lineups, please send it in with the tier and Smogon username of each player fully written out for ease of transcription, following these guidelines exactly.​

Matchups

:gholdengo: Gods as Ghold (Maybca☆〜ゝ。∂ and Eledyr) - [4][4] - Wiggly Family (Dragonillis and Palapapop) :wigglytuff:
SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): Chris32156 vs Despacito87
SV Almost Any Ability: Ivar57 vs Osake
SV Anything Goes: TaxFraud vs polt
SV Balanced Hackmons: Chessking345 vs TTTech
SV Godly Gift: Fraise vs Meta
SV Mix and Mega: damflame 3 vs Clas
SV NFE: PandaDoux vs ojr
SV STABmons: abriel vs RoFnA

:Virizion: W Virizzions (hayedenn and Greybaum) - [4][4] - The Terrible Tyrants (drampa's grandpa and kenn) :Tyranitar:
SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5) - tyo vs yuki
SV Almost Any Ability - hariyana grande vs shiloh
SV Anything Goes - Taka vs Lasen
SV Balanced Hackmons - cityscapes vs quojova
SV Godly Gift - gum vs tlenit
SV Mix and Mega - xavgb vs SpaceSpeakers
SV NFE - Stareal vs Shaneghoul
SV STABmons - pannu vs Fissure

:Necrozma-Ultra: Photon Geezers (Tea Guzzler and ponchlake) - [6][2] - Fluttermania (KarpeSan and adem) :flutter-mane:
SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5) - Krytocon vs bored_glitch
SV Almost Any Ability - MZ vs Atha
SV Anything Goes - Farce Of The Death vs Fogbound Lake
SV Balanced Hackmons - Tea Guzzler vs Leru
SV Godly Gift - ponchlake vs Jrdn
SV Mix and Mega - db vs kDCA
SV NFE - Tuthur vs fade
SV STABmons - LBDC vs Clementine

:Solgaleo: Soul-Stealing Seven-Star Solgaleos (Fc and Guard) - [4][4] - Dubwool Entendres (Redflix and Quantum Tesseract) :Dubwool:
SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): Fragments vs DripLegend
SV Almost Any Ability: tier vs The Number Man
SV Anything Goes: Guard vs Frito
SV Balanced Hackmons: pdt vs XxLazzerpenguinxX
SV Godly Gift: Dr. Phd. BJ vs Lily
SV Mix and Mega: Icemaster vs Quantum Tesseract
SV NFE: clean vs King Leo V
SV STABmons: Fc vs Kaif

Deadline:
10:00 PM (GMT -4) on June 18th, 2023

SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): Chris32156 vs Despacito87
SV Almost Any Ability: Ivar57 vs Osake
SV Anything Goes: TaxFraud vs polt
SV Balanced Hackmons: Chessking345 vs TTTech
SV Godly Gift: Fraise vs Meta
SV Mix and Mega: damflame 3 vs Clas
SV NFE: PandaDoux vs ojr
SV STABmons: abriel vs RoFnA

SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): tyo vs yuki
SV Almost Any Ability: hariyana grande vs shiloh
SV Anything Goes: Taka vs Lasen
SV Balanced Hackmons: cityscapes vs quojova
SV Godly Gift: gum vs tlenit
SV Mix and Mega: xavgb vs SpaceSpeakers
SV NFE: Stareal vs Shaneghoul
SV STABmons: pannu vs Fissure

SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): Krytocon vs bored_glitch
SV Almost Any Ability: MZ vs Atha
SV Anything Goes: Farce Of The Death vs Fogbound Lake
SV Balanced Hackmons: Tea Guzzler vs Leru
SV Godly Gift: ponchlake vs Jrdn
SV Mix and Mega: db vs kDCA
SV NFE: Tuthur vs fade
SV STABmons: LBDC vs Clementine

SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): Fragments vs DripLegend
SV Almost Any Ability: tier vs The Number Man
SV Anything Goes: Guard vs Frito
SV Balanced Hackmons: pdt vs XxLazzerpenguinxX
SV Godly Gift: Dr. Phd. BJ vs Lily
SV Mix and Mega: Icemaster vs Quantum Tesseract
SV NFE: clean vs King Leo V
SV STABmons: Fc vs Kaif

Last edited:

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
65.6% correct last week (70% excluding both act ws), let's see if we can keep this momentum going

Gods as Ghold (Maybca☆〜ゝ。∂ and Eledyr) - [6][2] - Wiggly Family (Dragonillis and Palapapop)
SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): lancert vs Despacito87 - can't bold for someone named despacito
SV Almost Any Ability: Ivar57 vs Osake - tough call bc I think osake's gonna get a mu advantage, but p sure ivar can outplay
SV Anything Goes: TaxFraud vs polt - taxfraud has been on fire lately
SV Balanced Hackmons: Chessking345 vs TTTech - I think Chessking is pretty good at exploiting TTTech's style, but I will bold TTTech to encourage him
SV Godly Gift: Fraise vs Meta - MetaRiolu7 is my favorite Smogon user
SV Mix and Mega: damflame 3 vs Clas - I think Clas has to win this on matchup which would be possible if this was before Home but..
SV NFE: PandaDoux vs ojr - panda is tyrant blood I just remembered
SV STABmons: abriel vs RoFnA - the one time I predicted for rofna he let me down

W Virizzions (hayedenn and Greybaum) - [6][2] - The Terrible Tyrants (drampa's grandpa and kenn)
SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5) - tyo vs yuki - huge fan of both (parasocially) but gonna go w tyo
SV Almost Any Ability - hariyana grande vs shiloh - shiloh figured out I'm taylor swift and we're now besties so have to root for him here (he's also awakened his volknerd powers)
SV Anything Goes - Taka vs Lasen - idk if lasen plays gen 9 ubers
SV Balanced Hackmons - cityscapes vs quojova - I'm really really hoping to see city win this with a really funny set. Don't let me down
SV Godly Gift - gum vs tlenit - rfning is the hottest thing ever
SV Mix and Mega - xavgb vs SpaceSpeakers - i feel like spacespeakers gets skillgapped here if they don't get a super good matchup
SV NFE - Stareal vs Shaneghoul - shaneghoul is awesome but stareal is my man
SV STABmons - pannu vs Fissure - I want Fissure to win and statistically the best way to do that is to bold pannu bc pannu tends to lose when I bold them

Photon Geezers (Tea Guzzler and ponchlake) - [2][6] - Fluttermania (KarpeSan and adem)
SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5) - Krytocon vs bored_glitch - go
SV Almost Any Ability - MZ vs Atha - MZ has more game sense but Atha has more knowledge and I'm largely of the opinion that AAA is a knowledge tier
SV Anything Goes - Farce Of The Death vs Fogbound Lake - sorta like fogbound's name better. i think both are similar?
SV Balanced Hackmons - Tea Guzzler vs Leru - leru is fire
SV Godly Gift - ponchlake vs Jrdn - Jordan has to win one eventually
SV Mix and Mega - db vs kDCA - idk who either are but db has the shorter name
SV NFE - Tuthur vs fade - jonfilch
SV STABmons - LBDC vs Clementine - clams are one of my favorite foods

Soul-Stealing Seven-Star Solgaleos (Fc and Guard) - [5][3] - Dubwool Entendres (Redflix and Quantum Tesseract)
SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): Fragments vs DripLegend - Fragments is so good
SV Almost Any Ability: tier vs The Number Man - tnm is very quickly shaping up to be the best aaa player in the tour
SV Anything Goes: Guard vs Frito - Guard has been insane
SV Balanced Hackmons: pdt vs XxLazzerpenguinxX - I almost bolded sevag but then I remembered my pact to never bold him until he changed his name
SV Godly Gift: Dr. Phd. BJ vs Lily - so I learned last week that Lily is not just a RWBY fan but also a Persona fan. I cannot bold against her legally.
SV Mix and Mega: Icemaster vs Quantum Tesseract - it's the safe option lol, this is closer than most people would think though
SV NFE: clean vs King Leo V - rooting for a clean dub
SV STABmons: Fc vs Kaif - pokemon home just dropped and fc does really well in broken metas, but honestly 51/49

BH Predicts:
Last week I got a horrible 1/4 (but I did end up playing one of the worst games again so got that right). Looking to improve that this week.

cityscapes (35) vs (65) quojova
Both players are very good but quojova is just more experienced still in the meta and has better team support. I want to bold past teammate but quojova's teams are really solid against city's innovations.

Tea Guzzler (80) vs (20) Leru
Tea please please please do not get MUed for the 104092183921th time in a BH meta. If Tea doesn't get MUed he should be consistent in this match. If Tea gets MUed I think he still has a decent chance here.

pdt (10) vs (90) XxLazzerpenguinxX
pdt's sets and plays last week were not very inspiring and he seems to be severely lacking support. Sevag meanwhile has been performing very well, is very difficult to prep for, has actual support, and is very consistent at playing against any type of team.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
OMPL BH REVIEW: WEEK 3
Trying a slightly different format for this one, because I understand that the last 2 reviews have basically just been running commentaries.

Leru vs pdt - :eternatus::mewtwo::chansey::zacian::arceus::rayquaza: vs :arceus::volcanion::giratina::kyogre::eternatus::dialga-origin:
At preview, both of these teams look a little jank, but its passable jank for the most part.

So this is a game of Balanced Hackmons, but even that may be giving it too much credit. Volcanion leads turn 1 to reveal Drought, which likely means some offensive Arceus-Fire that isn't Desolate Land (as well as Morning Sun spam), but it instantly gets floored by SpecsMaw Eternatus. Dialga-O almost gets followed up (as it doesn't have Draco), with both players burning their Tera during turn 2. Arceus-Steel is revealed from Leru's side and Arceus-Fire on pdt's, with a Shift Gear V-create picking off Leru's Eternatus; hitting this range can only mean that Arceus-Fire is Tinted Lens. Arceus-Steel then reveals possibly the worst set i've ever seen with Tidy Up + Sticky Web + Knock Off. The game spirals from around this point, as Rayquaza claims the Dialga-O with Final Gambit, Mewtwo crit claims the Kyogre, Imposter claims the Arceus-Fire, and Zacian-C claims the Eternatus.

Neither of these teams really had any defensive integrity. Leru's team just straight up lacks a physical wall (from Scald damage, Arceus-Steel is Ice Scales), but realistically, it lacked a special wall too because Arceus-Steel does actually nothing to common special attackers like Arceus-Ghost. pdt's team somehow has worse removal (as its mono-Rapid Spin on Dialga-O, which can't really threaten the Ghosts without Tera Fairy), and also has some questionable Improofing, as Volcanion doesn't actually work even without sun up (+1 252+ Atk Tinted Lens Arceus-Fire V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Volcanion: 144-170 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO).

TTTech vs cityscapes - :groudon::arceus::chansey::dialga-origin::corviknight::giratina: vs :arceus::eternatus::corviknight::kyogre::chansey::meloetta:
Competes with the above game for being the worst game of all time.

Nothing really happens until turn 5 with Flare Boost Eternatus revealed, which reveals Sandsear Storm to heavily chunk Dialga-O. city then reveals her removal as Tidy Up Meloetta (not -Pirouette, the base Meloetta), and then a whole lot of switching happens as city realizes her Eternatus is stopped by TTTech's Ice Scales Arceus. city then crits Dialga-O and KOes it, with the gamestate largely becoming static after this; TTTech's one progress maker (Calm Mind Arceus-Fairy) is walled by RegenVest Corviknight, and city's (Pixilate Arceus-Fairy) is "walled" by Imposter. Crit Judgment -> Dragon Tail Miss on turn 69 means that Corviknight goes down while Arceus-Fairy (now Tera Poison) is still boosted. Arceus-Fairy eventually gets burned by Kyogre, and then reveals Icicle Plate Judgment, allowing it to scare out Eternatus; TTTech's Magic Bounce Corviknight also limits Imposter's healing. city's Eternatus eventually gets a Nasty Plot up and wins the Speed tie against Imposter, allowing it to KO both that and Giratina. city's Imposter goes down thanks to the Sap blocking, and Eternatus mostly cleans up the endgame with only 3 mons left. Turns 100 and onward are mindgames, as city needs to hit the Arceus-Fairy on the switchin or otherwise get 2 layers of Spikes before it switches in, and the former happens on turn 103.

city's team looks less standard but also like it does more. TTTech's team is almost entirely contingent on Arceus-Fairy to make any progress, which is itself rough given it's mono-Ice Judgment. city's team has an overall sketchier defensive core but exerts far more offensive pressure. Both teams have terrible hazard removal though.

quojova vs Tea Guzzler - :arceus::iron bundle::corviknight::chansey::meloetta::groudon: vs :rayquaza::flutter mane::arceus::groudon::corviknight::ting-lu:
Both teams look normal-ish from preview, but if you care about this sort of thing, quojova's Arceus is in slot one, meaning the team was probably built around it. This isn't normal for Arceus.

I should probably preface this by saying that i'm shit at playing under pressure, and I get under pressure with tour games really easily (to an irrational level; visible shaking, higher heart rate, maybe light-headedness i'm not sure. Don't ask why because I have no idea either). This is revelant because I make blunders in this game that are completely unneeded due to said pressure. The first of these is turn 6, with Rayquaza Boomburst into Groudon; I know from the Knock Off damage on turn 2 that it isn't Fur Coat, so the objectively better play is to go back to Corv and scout Soundproof or Ice Scales, but I don't think that far ahead and lose my Life Orb because of it (every offensive mon bar Flare Boost stuff relies on keeping their item in this meta). Tera Flying Rayquaza is a misclick here and ends up costing me later in the game. quojova then pivots to Arceus-Fire, which as expected reveals an offensve set (Desolate Land), and OHKOes my Arceus-Electric with Tera Fire V-create. Its mostly a downward spiral from here, as I don't have Imposter (the one thing that throttles both of quojova's wallbreakers), and the accidental Tera Flying means I can't Tera Poison the Ting-Lu to live Iron Bundle's Water Spout and remove its Specs.

I thought both teams were generally pretty sound here. Did I get fished? It's hard to tell since I use the same stuff on almsot every team, but at the end of the day, quojova just had more breaking power and I couldn't wall it. This is another one of those "make the god matchup as a first draft but then drop it for something that gets 6-0'd" cases, as it would've been an Imposter + Koraidon team against 1 mid Fur Coat + 2 breakers weak into Imposter, but no point complaining.

XxLazzerpenguinxX vs Chessking345 - :eternatus::ting-lu::arceus::dondozo::chansey::corviknight: vs :kyogre::zacian::ting-lu::arceus::dragapult::chansey:
Chessking has been raving about Dragapult being "viable" for a good while now. Unfortunately, Tera.

This isn't a joke by the way. After some switching around and a dire Corviknight set from Sevag (Soundproof Block) bring revealed, on top of Chessking revealing Desolate Land Arceus-Fire and Sevag revealing Calm Mind Arceus-Fairy, Dragapult gets in and Glaive Rushes into Tera Electric Eternatus, resulting in Dragapult being KOed by Dragon Energy. From this position, neither player can realistically make much progress, but Sevag can win long-term with Arceus-Fairy if played right, as Chessking's only other progress maker (Arceus-Fire) is walled. The next noteworthy interaction begins on turn 57 with Imposter copying Arceus-Fairy, and the resulting interaction ending with Imposter running out of PP but having left Arceus-Fairy with only 2 Recovers left. Sevag then copies Arceus-Fire, but thanks to Spirit Shackle, it ends up KOed. Eternatus being Tera Electric is harmful thanks to still having Black Sludge, which puts it under constant pressure from even defensive mons, and it gets KOed (ironically by Mortal Spin poison) by Arceus-Fire. With Arceus-Fairy going down the next turn, Sevag can't win.

Tera Electric Etern is almost definitely why the game went an extra 73 turns, as there realistically isn't a sufficient Dragapult wall on Sevag's side (and Arceus isn't Extreme Speed). In regards to the teams, i'm not a fan of how lopsided Sevag's team is with only one wallbreaker, and Chessking's is mostly fine but i'm also not a fan of how the only non-blockable hazard removal is on a non-Boots Arceus-Fire.

Last edited:
GG Week 3 Review: The Great Beyond
HOME is here!!! What I was promised and what lead to me deleting my signup, at last we can see the meta in the highest level of competition (And also without Magearna, yay).
Screenshot_2023-06-08-21-04-43-42_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Screenshot_2023-06-08-21-05-10-63_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Instruct starts his GG journey with a bulky offense Zacian team. Gapdos punishes Defog to help Hamurott goes ham with Spikes but sadly it faces Spin and his team has no ghost. Glowking can also facilitate Gapdos with Future Sight so this will be his main gameplan. Zacian is there but it won't do anything in this matchup. Meanwhile ponch brings a fat, semi stall team of some sort. If Dondozo gets some Curse up it can potentially 6-0, though still needs to watch out for Trick from Rotom. Clodsire should be Water Absorb here so Washtom can at best get Trick/Wisp and then be useless. Moltres getting burn on Gapdos will decide game as well. Seems like Glimmora is ponch's favorite as it makes another appearance and can really annoy Instruct here with Toxic Spikes and Mortal Spin. If I have to guess, Arceus is Steel- or Fairy-type to provide a Dragon switch-in, but can also be Normal or Dark for a Ghost switch-in.
ponchlake made a very risky Moltres switch-in against Tusk considering if it had gotten Knocked it might never have gotten enough chances to burn Gapdos. Instruct let his Great Tusk poisoned since it was Corrosion. Arceus revealed to be Dark with Wisp and Taunt so seems like ponch opted for only Dondozo as wincon. Hamurott got Spikes and dodged Wisp so was something but Arceus proved to be pretty annoying. After some turns Gapdos got burned so it was tough. Then after that Zacian also got burned so it was over. Overall Instruct played pretty well while ponch made some risky plays but got 2 key burns to win back (I definitely think Dondozo should have been preserved as wincon considering how hard Instruct's team struggled to break it).
Screenshot_2023-06-10-01-58-14-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Screenshot_2023-06-10-01-58-42-25_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

BJ brought some pretty standard stuff. It's pretty much like a Miraidon hazard stack team pre-Home but with Eternatus and Hamurott. Meanwhile, jrdn's team is frankly not good, too many holes without Speed or offense to make up for it. Like 3 physical attackers are straight up food for Gholdengo. No solid Miraidon, Skeledirge, Dragapult or Kyogre answer, arguably no answer for Eternatus as well like not even something fast to revenge kill, unless Sneasler is Scarf which is even worse.
The game pretty much was unwinnable for jrdn. BJ just lead with Pult and got a kill early, Scarf Sneasler was shown but it can't even do anything against all offensive mons except Hamurott. Calyrex-Ice was the only chance but it got Toxic so no miracle. Dire RNG failed as well and SubPlot Heatom just got Whirlwind repeatedly until it dropped to Rock. Overall a very solid performance from BJ as always while jrdn has really been heavily underperforming (probably due to lack of motivation leading to both unoptimal teams and plays).
Screenshot_2023-06-11-22-03-13-05_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Screenshot_2023-06-11-22-03-44-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Both bring some kind of Bulky Offense. Fraise has a more standard comp with Speed Rillaboom (Rip Grassy Glide). Eternatus and Dragapult are the two key Pokemon to wallbreak and win here. Lily meanwhile brings double dogs and Gholdengo. It seems like Lily is disadvantageous at preview and hopefully Gholdengo can break before her team falls apart.
Fraise immediately lead with Eternatus and immediately got a lead with a burn and Lily's 2 Stun Spore misses. Lily made great switches to get some of those Amoonguss's HP back but Washtom lost half HP and Leftovers in exchange. Lily confidently switched Gholdengo into Dragapult which turned out to be a bluff and helped her nab an important KO on Eternatus. I'm a bit puzzled by the next turn though, with Fraise going Tusk instead of Dragapult and Lily then Nasty Plot after (uninvested Tusk still OHKOs uninvested Gholdengo with Earthquake 37.5% of the time, I guess Lily's one is EV'd for it?). Zacian-C then came in and actually 2HKO Slowking with Crunch + Play Rough before Zama-C revenge killed. Dragapult finally claimed one after some mind game. Amoonguss threatened Stun Spore but clicked Leaf Storm instead and got the Tusk coming in. It is also Eject Pack which seems like Lily's favorite toy since she brought it last week as well. Rillaboom revealed Grassy Seed SD but sadly didn't have Acrobatics so it could only damaged Amoonguss before letting Dragapult finished the job. Tusk then rkilled and got Zama-C low enough for Lily's Band Zama to win. Lily played very well overall, using aggressive plays to shore up the matchup so props to her.
Screenshot_2023-06-12-18-36-52-29_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Screenshot_2023-06-12-18-37-15-21_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Mossy had to sub himself in but he did have prior experience so will be an interesting matchup. gum has a pretty threatening HO team, with Volcarona and Goltres having the most potential to sweep here (If Volc has Giga Drain). Cloyster will have a hard time against Washtom and Kyogre (Unless it flinches its way through them), while Mewtwo and Enamorus shouldn't sweep with Chien-Pao healthy (though if it's Agility Enamorus it's a different story). Meanwhile, Mossy has a VoltTurn offense team, he will need to position very carefully to avoid letting dangerous mons in for free. Preserving Chien-Pao, Helectrode and Washtom should be the priority. However the 3 Volt Switch users might give Goltres or Enamorus Weakness Policy so that's something to keep in mind as well.
The fact that gum switched out Grimmsnarl into Volcarona against Iron Treads said two things: 1. It didn't have Parting Shot, likely Taunt/Spirit Break and 2. Volcarona probably was some defensive variant that can't break Kyogre, which showed when it revealed WoW and was outsped by Scarf Kyogre. The EQ crit on Grimmsnarl made it unable to set dual screens twice, but gum was able to catch a Volt Switch with Enamorus, a very nice play. This forced Mossy to stall out screen turns by switching around, and AV Treads did enough to limit it. Light Screen was up again to allow Mewtwo to KO Helectrode and the Ice Beam coverage caught Lando-T off guard (I wonder if it was Fire Blast or Aura Sphere last, it would struggle against Heatran or Gholdengo depending on it). It also forced Washtom to sac half its HP for Ogre to revenge kill. Cloyster sadly was short of getting the OHKO even with a single crit, which does make me wonder if going Goltres first was better since Goltres also risked Ice Shard. gum then decided to click Fiery Wrath which is weird, if Chien-Pao is Sash it would likely win with double Ice Shard anyway, hoping it wasn't and OHKO with Hurricane should have been the play. Mossy ended up with a victory, maybe he can slot in again?
Meta commentary: I'm disturbed by the lack of Clodsire considrering it's a top mon.

Last edited:

LordBox

you should love yourself... NOW!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OMPL AAA Review Week 3

Turns out Osake was working on last weeks AAA review so sorry about that. I did however say I was going to put a stop to French hegemony over AAA content so it turns out I have a new job. Definitely a fun week, heavily dominated by screens with 5/8 teams bringing screens offense. Most likely due to all the new offensive monsters within the tier due to Home and also because I suspect no one knows what they're doing defensively still as the meta has yet to stabilise, even for Week 4 which is still up in the air although the Enam ban should be a bit of relief. Also got all my predicts because I'm clearly just too skilled so I'll continue them.

1686545877044.png
Cumps vs hariyana grande
1686545904560.png

Before even getting into the preview, Wigglies have decided to slot in cumps over their usual safe AAA pick of Osake most likely wanting to shake up their MnM performance. Cumps is a decently well respected player within the AAA community having performed well on both ladder and also on suspect runs but this is their debut for any official tournament so it'll be fun to see what they bring to the table.

Getting into the preview both seem to bring very offensive teams to the table, with most likely screens leads on both sides which are most likely going to be Corviknight and Mew from Cumps and hariyana respectively. Given the very offensive nature of both teams, it'll most likely be a tense game with a severe lack of switch-ins for anything to see who can win faster. Volcarona, presumably offensive, presents great threat to 6-0 cumps team while Gapdos/Gambit/Enam lack great switch-ins and Cinderace could possibly be annoying with wisp while Mew remains unknown on Cumps side, either DDance or bulky setup most likely which could be annoying if Chien-Pao is removed.

First turn hariyana leads Mew, most likely to either setup or set screens while Cumps leads an unknown Enamorus. Mew reveals and gets off Light Screens for relatively free while Enam Moonblasts to get a bit of chip. Hariyana switches into Volc to aggressively setup on the Enam, revealing LO Mold Breaker while cumps switches to an unknown Corviknight. Corv reveals Light Screen at cost of a significant portion of its health to the Volc before aggressively immediately switching out to preserve, revealing Turboblaze Cinderace while Volc Quiver Dances, presenting a very large threat to Cumps with a potential 6-0 if it ever sets up without screens on Cumps side. Hariyana switches out to Garchomp to absorb Pyro and Cumps reveals and goes Taunt to prevent potential SR but reads incorrectly and loses Cinderace, although there weren't great switch-ins into Garchomp anyway. Cumps uses this as the opportunity to continue setting screens with Corviknight while similarly hariyana does the same with Mew. Mew gets chunked to low before pivoting out on what Cumps reveals to be Agility MGLO Gapdos which could be very threatening with screens up as Pao doesn't revenge with Ice Shard. With Reflect up, Enam comes in at full which is enough to force it out as Enam can live one BB. Sacrificing Kingambit at cost of chunking Enam decently, revealing Life Orb Tinted Lens. Corv comes in one last time to setup screens to go for an all-or-nothing sweep with their remaining mons as Cumps is running low on mons to sack. Mew reveals Calm Mind indicating bulky setup but Enamorus reveals Taunt to shut down this attempt, and Enam comes in to revenge hariyana's Enam. Hariyana brings in their Chien-Pao and at this point the game is pretty much over. Mew dies to LO Adapt Crunch and Cumps does reveal a surprise Scarf to revenge kill the Chien-Pao although the Pao did have Shard so the play to switch out initially was still fair. However this just gives a free turn to setup Quiver Dance and win the game.

Overall a pretty tense game where either party really could've won given the nuclear threats on either side of the field. Hariyana however managed to play well and keep up the aggressive pressure to continuously force Cumps onto the backfoot and to sack mons to pick up the win. You could possibly say hariyana had a better MU here maybe? Small things like Taunt Enam and Chien Pao to nullify some of the threats present did help but really I don't think it meant much. Cumps could've possibly tried to go for the win if Mew or Agility Gapdos managed to get properly setup behind dual screens, particularly after the Enam was chipped for Gapdos but ultimately hariyana managed to apply enough pressure to not let it happen and probably had enough sacks and damage from Chien Pao/Garchomp/Zama behind screens to win anyway. Good showing from both sides regardless and a decent debut from Cumps even if they ultimately lost.

1686549761552.png
The Number Man vs Ivar57
1686549785695.png

Most likely the highlight of the week, both being very strong players within the pool in an entirely new meta. Ivar57 appears to bring a HO screens team. Most likely with Screens Washtom, BU Talonflame, PSea Goltres, IDef Zam, Fluffy Gyarados and BDrum Ursuluna all being fairly predictable sets from the preview. TNM on the other hand is one of the few people this week to bring a more balanced team, with presumably Regen Ting-Lu and EE Glim and new potential threats like an unknown but most likely Unaware Cresselia, Hadron/MGLO Electrode-H and DesoLand/MGLO Typhlosion. Assuming these sets, Ivar57 doesn't have the best MU with Unaware Cresselia walling a good majority of the team, Talonflame is irritated by Glim. Main hope is most likely Goltres with no real wall on the opposing team so it depends if it can boost up enough to sweep in time.

The game starts off with Ivar leading off with Washtom, most likely screens, and TNM leads Electrode-H, most likely MGLO. TNM uses the opportunity to set a layer of Spikes while Washtom manages to get dual screens off for relatively free. Fluffy Gyarados aggressively switches in to setup, getting chunked by Ruination. Gyarados tries to setup however Electrode-H manages to scare it out as Gyara only accrues one speed boost. Ivar switches into Zama-C to take the Electrode-H TBolt, although I am a bit confused on not using Volt Switch unless Gyara lives behind screens which would be surprising. Zama-C tries to setup however into a presumably Unaware Cresselia Zama-C is essentially just useless and TNM uses the opportunity to start setting up Calm Mind boosts. Ivar sets up Light Screen and wisps Cresselia but it just continues to setup and proves to very threatening. Talonflame comes in but doesn't do enough to sufficiently pressure Cresselia with FBlitz so it just continues setting up, although eventually revealing Taunt on the Moonlight and manages to chunk Cresselia sufficiently low enough to be threatened out by Gyarados, needing to be preserved for ZamaC/Ursuluna. Gyarados is again forced out by an Electrode-H that gets pivoted into by Corv. Gyarados gets picked off by Electrode-H for safe entry into Washtom who sets up dual screens for relatively free as Electrode-H pivots out to Cresselia to let it heal up to better handle ZamaC/Ursuluna. However Goltres aggressively comes in to take advantage of this to setup for free, posing a very big potential threat assuming NP + Agility + Weakness Policy with a potential for a big sweep. Glimmora however aggressively comes in and manages to take one Fiery Dance and land a Mortal Spin that puts an timer onto the Goltres. Ivar manages to guess the Ting-Lu switch correctly and 2HKO it with Hurricane before Electrode-H comes in again to miss out on the revenge but enough to leave its sweep stopped. At this point, Ivar has essentially lost as Ursuluna and Zama-C cannot break through Unaware Cresselia and the Typhlosion in the back.

Overall fairly tense game. I don't think the preview favoured Ivar but when it was revealed with Taunt on both Talonflame/Gyara to pressure Cresselia there was a chance for Ivar57 to break through the Unaware Cresselia which could've let the rest of his team sweep. Ivar could've possibly broken through just off what we know about the sets after, with Goltres/Gyarados potentially being able to clean house but it seemed difficult for Ivar to manuever it to that position or without some RNG like a Fiery Wrarh flinch onto the Glimmora. Gyarados sack I didn't fully see and could've also possibly saved the endgame? Although doubtful without some seriously good play and predicts. Depending on if Gyara outspeeds Electrode-Hisui at +2 and TNM could've possibly just sacked more for the Goltres. TNM managed to play rather well and safe and was a fine showing from both, though.

1686578267272.png
shiloh vs MZ
1686578289641.png

Shiloh and MZ are both respected players themselves who can click quite well although out of touch from the meta and requiring support. Being within the minority, MZ seemingly bringing a more balanced team to the table while Shiloh brings a HO screens team with most likely Corv screens leads. MZ's team seems to be at the disadvantage here as Zama-C, DD Roaring Moon and presumably BDrum Ursuluna pose significant risks to get a 6-0 sweep so MZ will have to play carefully here.

Hadron Engine Electrode-Hisui leads into Corviknight, a decent position for MZ but Corviknight reveals screens and is able to get Light Screens up for a chunk of its HP. Ursuluna comes in but is denied the SD by Corv's Taunt and Corv is able to get both screens up and pivot out safely with barely any HP left which is a bit unlucky. Ursuluna comes in and reveals Triage + LO to revenge Electrode-Hisui. Garchomp is forced in as otherwise shiloh can setup and sweep with Belly Drum, shiloh predicting a Dragon Tail and chunking Garchomp severely. Roaring Moon is phazed in and gets free opportunity to setup as MZ wishes to conserve Garchomp. Corv comes in to defog and pivot out, revealing Leftovers on the Roaring Moon, with it continuing to accrue many boosts. Ursuluna hits Roaring Moon with Headlong Rush, with shiloh taunting it however Roaring Moon takes only 33% revealing Fluffy, putting MZ in a poor position as Roaring Moon continues to boost up. MZ manages to Intimidate cycle Roaring Moon and continously let Garchomp heal up until Garchomp is healthy enough to Dragon Tail Roaring Moon out although I question not going for the Crunch when Garchomp came in at full. Mew is dragged in and Corviknight comes in a predict to setup Screens one last time, with MZ setting up rocks. Goltres comes in behind Reflect, MZ switching in Regieleki on the Hurricane to revenge and keep Garchomp healthy, presumably for Ursuluna. Regieleki unfortunately misses the revenge with Tera Blast barely and gets KO'd itself, presumably predicting Roaring Moon switching in. Chien Pao comes in to finish off Goltres with Ursuluna coming in. MZ's Ursuluna comes in but dies to two Drain Punches and Garchomp gets chunked again to force Ursuluna out. Zama-C comes in and finishes off the low Corviknight. Shiloh has a pretty much guaranteed win here with Zama-C and Ursuluna, even the unlucky Crit onto Zama-C meaning nothing as Ursuluna just Drain Punches to victory.

Overall pretty bad matchup for MZ. Ursuluna and Zama-C in particular being nasty threats, having to hang on with Garchomp and Zama-C not really having a switch-in at all. Letting Roaring Moon get a substantial amount of boosts that chunked Corv that could've maybe helped with Ursuluna if it wasn't BDrum? Sacking Regieleki didn't help either although I can somewhat understand why as RMoon could've been an annoying threat given Corv was low. Don't think there was too much MZ could've done without some god plays. Won't judge the quality of the teams overall given still nobody knows what they're doing.

1686578841187.png
atha vs tier
1686578860578.png

Tier brings a somewhat more balanced looking team with presumably RegenVest Meloetta + Corv while Atha brings an odd looking team that could be more balanced or offensive depending on the sets shown, so there's not too much we can tell off preview so I'll get into the game quickly.

Leading with Scream Tail from Atha and Kingambit from Tier, Scream Tail reveals the uncommon screens set, indicating a more offensive team, with Kingambit chunking it heavily. Chesnaught comes in, which threatens potential Belly Drum but reveals defensive Spikes, most likely WBB. Corv comes in to defog away screens and Spikes allowing free entry for Heatran to be kind of scary with potential MGLO. Heatran sets up rocks before being forced out by Enam, Scream Tail comes back in again, revealing Regen and setting up Light Screen before being sacrificed to let Mew setup. Mew reveals Iron Defense + Calm Mind, exploiting the passive Meloetta scout. Glimmora comes in but gets OHKO'd by Stored Power. Kingambit comes in but gets outsped and gets OHKO'd by Body Press. At this point, Atha has basically won as nothing can kill it in time and Mew can just spam Stored Power/BPress/CM until Atha wins.

Another unfortunate matchup. Had tier perhaps Sucker Punched on the Mew it could've been enough for the rest of the mons to chip it down enough but even then I doubt it. Tier would've had to play really aggressively and without prior knowledge of the set Tier was pretty much doomed from the start as Atha could just wait for an easy setup opportunity and most likely would've done enough damage for the remaining mons to break.

+ AAA Predicts Week 4

Ivar57
vs Osake
Both are fairly strong players, whose advantage in terms of meta knowledge has been mostly nullified given the home drop and the still very unstable meta. Ivar57 did lose last week but still had a decent showing given TNM was a strong opponent however Osake didn't even play AAA last week so I'll bet on Ivar57 bringing some heat (surely).

tier vs The Number Man
Pretty much a no brainer for me. The Number Man has gone undefeated this AAA pool being a strong player and clicker with good support while Tier hasn't really proven themselves that much. Tier did pull of an upset against Ivar although I'd bring that down more to the matchup and still think Tier is outclassed here.

Atha vs MZ
MZ have had some unfortunate weeks with mostly bad matchups in most of the games they've played so far. Their teams haven't been the greatest overall and their play has been alright and the meta is still unstable so MZ could possibly cook? But really if I had to bet my life Atha is the safe choice here.

Last edited:

Career Ended

Whatever happens, happens
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending Other Metas Circuit Champion
Did some MnM reviews for week 3, video form sorry not sorry I don't like typing so hope yall learn to love my voice. If theres demand for more of these I might do some in the coming weeks, and I could consider including a stab coverage as well but probably wouldn't do AAA since enough people have been covering that. Thanks for watching and GOOOOOOOO TYRANTS

Hugo

Rain Main (+2 GMT)
is a Tiering Contributor
Again here with the official HTH Corp 2v2 predictions list so you know whats going on.

Fragments vs DripLegend - This is quite an intressting MU, if im not wrong Fragments was Driplegend's manager in the recent 2v2PL which already makes it a match worth watching but also because fragments is 3-0 atm and while Drip is not going to strong atm he went 7-0 in PL and we also haven't seen him play new meta since he had an act win last week so ill be looking forward to this one

lancert vs Despacito87 - This really needs no explaination

tyo vs yuki - idk why but I have the feeling Tyo is gonna take this one, so far im not really a fan of the teams yuki brought this tour and Tyo is a very consistend player I believe so imma place my bet on him

Krytocon vs bored_glitch -Glitches strength mainly lies in his builder but if im honest I do not think his teams are all that special and certainly not special enough to win vs Kry but maybe he proves me wrong

Last edited:
Schedule week 4 vs Gods as Ghold (Maybca☆〜ゝ。∂ and Eledyr) : (GMT=0) :

SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5) :
Chris Numbers vs Despacito87 : Sunday 2 AM
SV Almost Any Ability : Ivar57 vs Osake : Sunday 4 PM
SV Anything Goes : TaxFraud vs Polt : Sunday 10:30 PM
SV Balanced Hackmons : Chessking345 vs TTTech : Sunday 3 PM
SV Godly Gift : Fraise vs Meta : Sunday 8:30 PM
SV Mix and Mega : damflame 3 vs Clastia : Saturday 7:30 PM
SV NFE : Pandadoux vs ojr : Friday 3 PM
SV STABmons : abriel vs RoFnA : Friday 6 AM

Let's go Wiggly !

wigglypower.png

Last edited:

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Late predicts but y'all are johners lmao

WEEK 4

W Virizzions (hayedenn and Greybaum) - [4][4] - The Terrible Tyrants (drampa's grandpa and kenn)
SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): tyo vs yuki - idk its 2v2
SV Almost Any Ability: hariyana grande vs shiloh - better player
SV Anything Goes: Taka vs Lasen - idk its AG
SV Balanced Hackmons: cityscapes vs quojova - city is just too good
SV Godly Gift: gum vs tlenit
SV Mix and Mega: xavgb vs SpaceSpeakers - stresh is just too good
SV NFE: Stareal vs Shaneghoul - uhm shaneghoul won last week but idk i feel like stareal is better
SV STABmons: pannu vs Fissure - i will never bold pannu again

Photon Geezers (Tea Guzzler and ponchlake) - [4][4] - Fluttermania (KarpeSan and adem)
SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): Krytocon vs bored_glitch -
SV Almost Any Ability: MZ vs Atha - i saw the future. trust me.
SV Anything Goes: Farce Of The Death vs Fogbound Lake - cooler name
SV Balanced Hackmons: Tea Guzzler vs Leru - can't say I've been convinced by Leru but I've been even less convinced by #1 BH on PR so I'll bold Leru even though Tea is favorite
SV Godly Gift: ponchlake vs Jrdn - would be a cool game if Jrdn wasn't out of form
SV Mix and Mega: db vs kDCA - uhm better player i'd say
SV NFE: Tuthur vs fade - cool match-up but I've found fade less impressive this year
SV STABmons: LBDC vs Clementine - cooler builds

Soul-Stealing Seven-Star Solgaleos (Fc and Guard) - [3][5] - Dubwool Entendres (Redflix and Quantum Tesseract)
SV 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): Fragments vs DripLegend -
SV Almost Any Ability: tier vs The Number Man - i think tnm is really good rn and if i had to remake a PR i would rank him first. don't let me down pls
SV Anything Goes: Guard vs Frito -
SV Balanced Hackmons: pdt vs XxLazzerpenguinxX - i liked pdt's teams but sevag is just really good atm
SV Godly Gift: Dr. Phd. BJ vs Lily - if someone can stop BJ it's Lily so I'll bold her for that
SV Mix and Mega: Icemaster vs Quantum Tesseract - I saw the future. trust me.
SV NFE: clean vs King Leo V - Will always believe in my buddy Leo. Redflix what r u doing im sure you arent treating him well
SV STABmons: Fc vs Kaif - pretty cool MU too, bolding Kaif so the SSSSS lose one week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)