Tournament OMPL VIII - Playoffs Tiebreaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
How this works
There are 8 teams this year. Each team will have have 6 players and at least 2 subs. The players are bought using the 80k credits that managers receive during the auction. Managers will be allowed to purchase themselves as players for their team at a fixed price of 16k but must assign one assistant manager from their drafted players. This may be done either during the auction or after it. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 4 of the 6 matches that their players have to play.​
The tier lineup this year is as follows:​
  1. SS Almost Any Ability
  2. SS Balanced Hackmons
  3. SS Camomons
  4. SS Mix and Mega
  5. SS NFE
  6. SS STABmons
All games will be played on the Pokemon Showdown main server or SmogTours in the most current version of the format corresponding to those listed above. The result between players may be decided in a best-of-one or best-of-three at the discretion of both players involved. If there is no agreement, the result will decided in a Bo1 by default.​
Winning a round rewards a team with 2 points, drawing 1 point, and losing zero points. In addition, the manner in which the round has been won will also be recorded i.e. the difference between a team's wins and losses in a specific week's round (referred to as "Win Differential").​
Playoffs:​
Each team will play one another for seven weeks. Based on the final standings, the top 4 teams will enter a Playoffs Round to determine the teams appearing in the finals.​

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).​

Tiebreaker Rules: The most played meta from usage stats plus one metagame picked by each manager will give a best-of-three game between the tied teams, ultimately deciding who goes onto finals. The three games must be different formats, i.e. the remaining two games cannot be the same as the most played metagame, and must be from the list above. Since SS Balanced Hackmons is most likely to be chosen by usage, the decision to play Bo3 or Bo1 is still left upto the players' discretion and bo1 remains by default.​

Substitutes
Substitutes are to be used in the case of "extenuating circumstances" which are unavoidable, whether on the first day of the week, or the last. Moreover, they should generally not be used with a tactical purpose of creating confusion in an opponent's team. At the same time, players should be relatively well-aware of who all are available to play in the opponent's camp. If last minute substitutes are being frequently used or abused and the hosts find explanations unsatisfactory, the hosts still reserve the right to veto them.​

Trades
If teams wish to conduct a trade, both managers (or assistant managers if the manager is not present) MUST PM Ransei and SectoniaServant on the FORUMS to have the trade be official. No trades may occur after the conclusion of week 2. A traded player may only feature in the round after they have been traded.​

Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on VM walls, plain and simple:​
  • If there is no communication on VM walls and a game goes undone, it will be left to the RNG to decide the winner
  • If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. Feel free to call activity in this thread beforehand
  • If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win.
TL;DR: VM your opponents, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you're not reliable, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.​
Use these VM's to initiate discussion about bo1 or bo3 as well!

Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to Other Metagame Premier League will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the OMPL host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.​
All players must complete their matches by the given deadline. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S VM WALL); otherwise, they will be decided via !pick publicly in the OM Room. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for OMPL with) to avoid confusion and the replay must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in a separate thread, and will be used to calculate usage stats.​

Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent, and myself. This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.​
Managers, when you send in lineups, please send it in with the tier and Smogon username of each player fully written out for ease of transcription, in exactly the same order as laid out above. I will post instructions about sending the lineup for next week later this week.​

Matchups

The Spinda Wheels (xavgb, Jordy) - [2][1] - The Crown Jewel Corviknights (SBPC, Andyboy)

SS Balanced Hackmons: PinkDragonTamer vs MAMP
SS Mix and Mega: xavgb vs Andyboy
SS NFE: King Leo V vs Thimo

These matchups are fire fwiw.

~ Deadline ~
11:59 PM (UTC -4) on June 10th, 2020

Last edited:

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
Going to be making predicts because I'm lazy and predicting for 3 games is right up my wheelhouse

SS Balanced Hackmons: PinkDragonTamer (55) vs (45) MAMP: Ride the hot hand here. PDT is playing well and winning games while mamp is currently going through a bit of a slump.
SS Mix and Mega: xavgb (49) vs (51) Andyboy: Best of the best here. Mostly a gut pick. This is as close to 50/50 as it gets, but not picking a winner is lame and nobody wants to read cowardly predictions
SS NFE: King Leo V (50) vs (50) Thimo: sike

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
The Spinda Wheels (xavgb, Jordy) - [74.7][25.3] - The Crown Jewel Corviknights (SBPC, Andyboy)
SS Balanced Hackmons: (85) PinkDragonTamer vs MAMP (15)
SS Mix and Mega: (53) xavgb vs Andyboy (47)
SS NFE: (62) King Leo V vs Thimo (38)​

What I did here is calculate ELO for each player based on performance in this OMPL and use that to determine win chance.
These should be lit matches.
Here's the spreadsheet I'm basing this off of for any interested
I'll add a little more explanation later

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
a loser's MAMP's OMPL BH Review: The Playoffs
The playoffs featured some great matchups, both of which were rematches from earlier in the season. As I said in the review last week, beating someone twice is not an easy thing to do and this proved to be the case for both battles (and that means I got both my predicts right so yay).

highlighter vs Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request)
This match starts out interesting from team preview, as SL42 has once again side-stepped the Forme Clause and is sporting both Lunala and Necrozma Dawn Wings. Mandibuzz looks like the obvious improof to one or both of them, which will be good to have with a Wobbuffet on HL's side. HL appears to have brought bulky balance along with an interesting pick in Imposter. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up holding an item other than a Scarf, though. It is hard to tell which side has any advantage based on preview, as it depends on what the double Ghost core is bringing to the table and how good HL's answers are.

As the game gets going, a few sets become clear about six turns in with Gurp bringing an uncommon PH Mandibuzz, the rising RegenVest Zama-C and PrimSea Zacian, and a nice FC Helmet Zekrom with Glare. HL, while scouting with Wobb, shows that he brought PH Lax and an interesting Prankster Zekrom. SL42 starts out slow and gives HL some momentum with an early reveal of Close Combat on Zama-C and by letting Zama-C get paralyzed by Impostered Zekrom. Similar to last week's Lunala set, SL42 brings out Turboblaze Dawn Wings with Spikes and Glare, which is interesting because I mentioned how Lunala wasn't quite strong enough to punish people with Hex. Meanwhile, HL's Snorlax is looking to be the future MVP with King's Shield and Will-O-Wisp to scout and absorb status with two Glare users on the other side. Things start looking worse for Gurp when we see that HL's Zama-C is Magic Bounce Defog, meaning he can play around both Glare users without being crippled as long as he's careful. Plus, SL42's Zekrom is running a neat move in Dynamax Cannon that unfortunately for him can be stalled out by the opposing Zekrom's Prankster recovery. SL42's window of getting up Spikes starts to close when we see HL's FC Spin Lunala, who outspeeds and heavily threatens a burned Dawn Wings with Hex. We're almost 40 turns in without too much happening, but momentum is on HL's side. The PH Mandibuzz is seen to be running a +Spe nature, which is kinda cool but also super wack, and it is able to shut down Reshiram's attempt to Shift Gear with a speedy Taunt. For the next several turns, HL is able to pivot around and almost freely bring in Imposter and burn SL42's PP a bit. Action finally picks up when SL42's Zacian comes in, interesting moveset and all. HL's Imposter tricks away its Scarf to a crippled Zama-C and SL42 brings in Lunala, who is also running Turboblaze, only to have it Prankster Glared and then Destiny Bonded by Zekrom. From here, HL is able to bring in Reshiram and finally Shift Gear, and we see that the game could have been much shorter if it had gotten this chance earlier. Its moveset of Life Orb V-create, Draco Meteor, and and interesting Fishious Rend pretty much eats up SL42's team and his only hope of stopping it were to have Zekrom be much healthier (80%+ health) and spend its Dynamax to tank a Draco.

As the battle progressed, it became clearer and clearer that SL42's matchup was pretty terrible and his game plan was unable to play out the way he'd hoped. That being said, I didn't really like his team as paralysis is hard to pull off and he doubled up on it, and two Mold Breaker Ghost-types seemed redundant and I'm not quite sure what Lunala does other than break past Ice Scales mons after a boost (albeit via unreliable rolls).

PinkDragonTamer vs MAMP
From preview, it looks like both players have brought some of their go-to mons with MAMP's Seismitoad and Primarina and PDT's Hippowdon (presumably Prankster) and Psychic/Ghost mon (he's switched between Dawn Wings and Lunala all season long and is 3-1 when he brings one). Triple Water-type on MAMP's side is a bit of an odd choice but at least Toad eases the matchup against PDT's Zekrom. It looks like the battle will come down to how well MAMP can play against Zamazenta and PDT against DGZ.

Starting off we see both sides go straight for Spikes and that PDT must have worked with HL because they are both running FC Spin Lunala. Both sides will be able to spin freely though, with MAMP having no Ghost-types and also running Pixilate Spin Primarina. MAMP gets some early momentum when PDT tries to surprise Toad with a LO Draco Meteor from Zekrom, only to have a Magic Bounce Zama-C come in to tank it and bounce back the following Spike attempt. With this good play, MAMP Teleports to a Mold Breaker Swords Dance DGZ as PDT makes a kinda weird switch to Lunala, whose FC will be ignored. Maybe he was just sacking it, not wanting to lose Hippo early to a Choice Banded attack, but both players Dynamax and PDT does a decent job of damage control by lowering DGZ's speed with Max Strike and stalling out all three turns of Dynamax before going down. PDT brings in Sword Zamazenta, which is seen to be LO as it Photon Geysers an incoming Seismitoad for some nice chip. MAMP is forced out to keep Toad alive for Zekrom and goes to Snorlax, possibly for a sack, and Zama reveals Swords Dance while taking some more LO chip. Despite setting up to +3, Zama is forced out by a healthy PrimSea Golisopod, which in turn hits a Zekrom switch for some nice chip with a strong Fishious Rend. PDT gets momentum back when he brings out Court Change Zama-C, giving MAMP two layers of Spikes and forces them to bring in Spin Primarina. Primarina, who might have been Metronome Boomburst, loses the 1v1 against Coil Facade Lax thanks to King's Shield breaking the Metronome count. MAMP brings Goli back out to pressure a chipped Lax and ends up getting off two Shift Gears by boldly setting up in Zekrom's face, which leads to PDT sacking Zama-C in order to safely bring in Prankster Topsy-Turvy Hippo to halt the sweep. Soon after though, Hippo is eliminated by DGZ thanks to an untimely crit. This actually works out well for PDT though since it gives an opportunity to safely bring in Zama again, which gets rid of Seismitoad and heals up on Goli with a surprise Strength Sap. MAMP keeps Goli in though and tanks a couple hits to Shift Gear twice again and avoid an preemptive gg from PDT. However the game is still over, as Zamazenta is able to come in and clean up for the win.

I thought both teams were pretty cool here and this was an exciting game to watch, but in the long run MAMP didn't have the best matchup for PDT's Photon + Sap Zamazenta, not to mention Prankster Hippo in the back. PDT's Regen Life Orb Zekrom is a neat set, as it trades typical abilities like Sword or PH for the ability to shrug off LO chip and punish physical walls like Toad with Draco Meteor.

Metagame Observations
Lunala (and its "twin" Dawn Wings) saw tons of usage this week, with two instances of FC Rapid Spin utility sets. I think this set is pretty neat, since it can spinblock while also threaten spinblockers, but I don't think its as good as people think it is. The Psychic/Ghost typing doesn't offer any useful resistances and FC only slightly patches up a big vulnerability to common utility moves in Knock Off and Spectral Thief. It also has to play mind games in order to spin against PH Ghost-types like Gourgeist and Jellicent, which are commonly seen running Baneful Bunker. I think its cool that more people are trying out different sets with these two though, as Specs sets are having a tougher time lately and support sets can do some cool things under the right circumstances.

Zama-C's high usage rate persists, being used on all four teams and showing its versatility with sets like Magic Bounce and RegenVest, and utility moves like Court Change and Close Combat. It is definitely an easy mon to fill a gap in the teambuilder, offering great bulk and a nice typing, along with the ability to play offense and defense very well.

Tiebreak Predict
PinkDragonTamer vs MAMP
I think MAMP will pull off a much needed win here, but it will only be a consolation as the Corviknights will lose the other two games to miss the finals. I expect both players to bring about what you'd expect from them, but with little twists. I don't envy either of them though for having to prep for the same opponent three times.

AESF'S [STRESH (has finals or smth)?? OR JRDN'S (is lazy or smth)???] LBDC's THINKERINO'S GEERAT'S AESF'S RACOOL'S ROZES' TOTALLY ON TIME MAMP'S OMPL BH Review AAA Edition: Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 and Playoffs Semis EDITION
(ASOJLTGARRTOTMOBRAEW1234567APSE for short)
No one wrote the aaa review last week so Ill cover both week 7 and playoffs semis. Most of u probably wont read this I just really wanted to gas highlighter

Week 7

TonyFlygon vs Sabella
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8almostanyability-504449

Two strong players who have limited experience in aaa but win cause they're good at the game anyways. Geerat, the parasects' main aaa builder is gone :blobpensive: which explains Sabella bringing his w1 team (still a very good and cool team). Tony's team looks pretty straightforward - a quick defensive core, a stack of threats (bish/noivern/zolt), and a very likely magnet pull rotomh that isnt actually magnet pull. On Tony's side, scarf mixed zolt and rotomh look very threatening, while he has to work very hard to stop noivern from picking every time it comes in. Sabella plays very carefully toward the start while Tony makes double after double and his gameplan is very clear - get bish in on rachi and keep chipping kommoo till bish breaks. By turn 13, kommo-o is at 50. Sabella is panicking. There's blood in the water. The next turn Tony makes an absurd callout and knocks a predicted double to noivern. OM community goes crazy. The headlines are made. In all seriousness, though, at another glance, this is a very questionable play on sabella's end and a phenomenal one on tony's end. Tony's Bisharp is walled by mandi anyway, and if kommoo clicks anything but body press bisharp kills next turn, and either way, any chip sets up for a bolt beak sweep. On top of that, knock gets mandi's boots and also catches a potential noivern, which Tony has conditioned by now. Sab goes hard into his wincon and pays the price, and desolate land rotom-h, a cool tech by rozes, nicely cleans up the rest in the ending (ft the classic non-aaa player-losing-a-random-mon-to-triage moment). Was very impressive how Tony managed to not lose a single mon to specs vern despite having almost no counterplay.

Vivalospride vs Dragonillis
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8almostanyability-504597

Viv's using a recycled team while drago brings good ol 4 fat + 2 breakers. Drago has no hazard control besides mbounce pod and viv manages to get up rocks immediately but that doesnt even matter since only pod's really affected and it doesnt do much. Viv's team is completely walled and he pretty much has to somehow make kyurem break lax which is probably not possible. Drago's doublade gets burned, costing him in the long run I think. Viv's own Doublade can maybe do some things with insane luck but drago goes pod on it and gets a lucky scald burn leaving viv in a state of visible despair. I dont fuckin know how viv won this game but he did, this is not to take away from the fact that both users are great and likeable individuals

Rozes vs The Number Man
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1124408340

Speaking of idk how he won this game here's another. Rozes has a really funky team with some cool sets like black belt 3 attack conk and np desoland rotomh while TNM brings a 5 fat mon + dracozolt with a very clear focus. Rozes doesn't have a hippo so he probably loses to zolt pretty quickly while he has quite literally nothing that can break tnm's core or even come close. Eventually rozes manages to get up rocks with a scarf excadrill (versus a team with a corvi mind you) and then he can kind of start pressuring but not really. Zolt comes in at one point and rozes manages to avoid losing even one mon. With rocks up, rozes manages to prevent fog, finding an opening after TNM pointlessly (<- and I usually hate using this word) sacking primarina's HP to worry seed. Rozes somehow manages to lose 1 mon in 3 rounds of dracozolt and cleans it up nicely. By the end of the season, I think it's pretty agreed upon among all aaa players who've played him that rozes is the second best aaa player in the community, and this game really solidifies it, although (cont.)

Highlighter vs Thinkerino
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1124493579

(cont. from above) the only reason rozes is #2 is because of the existence of player 1 in this battle, that's right, it's OMGS I Champion Highlighter aka goslighter aka very good trainer. With an undefeated record in AAA and an impressive ability to flex even to metas that require intensive usage of the noggin such as BH, Highlighter really is a powerhouse of the other metagames community. Thinkerino is just a ladder guy i think idk lmao (just kidding i better see every one of u putting the proper respect on his name :blobtriumph:). This game highlighter brings a lot of sets that make no fuckin sense like DD galv boomburst kommo-o and SD steel beam lucario. Think gets completely and absolutely fucked, first by the kommo-o, then by the luke (with some unironically great conditioning from highlighter). It appears that all of highlighter's mons are named after fruit (although im not too sure what fruit COCAINE is), which I can't fully understand but I'm also pea-brained. Think does have a cool team in concept though with corrosion mew + merciless spam, although I think this game showcases why corrosion is still a very limited ability - magic bounce just makes it unviable often times, as we saw with mbounce corvi here. Merciless chand is actually a really cool set too that I want to highlight - I think it ohkos ph prima and 2hkos unsuspecting lax so yeah very cool techs on both sides.

Playoffs Semis

Racool vs Aesf
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1128583380
I lost this game so I'm gonna compensate for my sore loserness by talking more about the teams instead. But in all honesty, I think our teams were two of the cooler ones I've seen in ompl so far. Racool has a lot of interesting picks, like hat, specs mega launcher hydra (a pretty dead mon by now), and a tinted lens pod set that I passed to think at the beginning of the week that very unfortunately made its way back around to racool. Seems like the idea is to just see which of her rather unconventional breakers win supported by healing wish + future sight hat to nail that part home. Mine was built around the trio of adapt LO seis + mummy helmet corvi + aerilate noivern. The idea is that you bait in all the regen uturners (except elecvally) with noivern and go corvi on them, so they actually get chipped by vern over time or are forced to make risky doubles; meanwhile seis cracks open most defensive cores, taking advantage of the free turns noivern generates otherwise. The game itself was pretty straightforward. From preview it's not looking good for me - she has pod as a seis counter, elecvally to counter my noiv+corv core, and the rest of my team is walled, while pod/terrak break pretty quickly. Im not really sure what to do. Turn 5 I catch a break with a terrak sack, and for the most part we're just scouting each others sets the first many turns or so. Turn 15 she reveals sd tinted pod meaning I have to sack my corv for chip on it, but that chip doesn't matter because she has a cool triage healing wish tech on hat and yeah I basically get fucked by my own pod set. Great prep on racool's end though, was definitely caught very off guard by her selection of mons.

Xavgb vs Thinkerino
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1128645680

MnM brained xavgb brings a moldy hazarder with an old meta team built around triage toge. Think's team is very energetic and powerful, with that tinted pod set once again making an appearance, mixed sheer force toxtricity, and triage prima all as extremely threatening mons that also perform important defensive roles. Think's focus on incorporating very unorthodox but powerful breakers defensively into a build here is very different from stresh's approach, which involves just a generally solid, reliable team that aims to beat any mu thrown at it (reliable hazards, extremely strong speed control, future sight support, and a rigid defensive core). Regardless, both are great teams that you'd expect out of a very important playoffs semis match. early on, toge looks like a very huge problem, especially after it 1v1s think's check, the jirachi. Think manages to force it out, and next up to bat is Think's tinted pod, which goes to town on stresh's team. Finally, in a twist of events, stresh's ferro does not actually have a grass or even steel move, meaning that think's primarina really just lead 6-0d from preview all along, and that's exactly how the game ends.

Metagame Observations
The overwhelming trend I'm noticing these two weeks is that more and more often, successful teams are turning toward unconventional methods of breaking, to the point where how much unusual breaking power a team has pretty much become essential in how good a team is. Of course, this is a natural consequence of such a bulky-offense-dominated metagame, but it's been really cool to see the creative ways in which different players get around standard defensive cores. Recycled teams aside, these two weeks we've seen a poison-stack team with merciless chandy, a setup lure team with physical steel beam lucario, a toxic conk lure + adapt zolt core, a neat desoland NP rotomh set, multiple tinted lens golisopods, sheer force toxtricity, a team built around adaptability seismitoad and mummy corviknight, and a specs mega launcher hydreigon (which earns a spot here because of how hard it's fallen off). Together, these comprise almost all of the teams we've seen the past 2 weeks, and the amazing part of this is that these are all, relative to ompl and the gen8 aaa posthome meta as a whole, new sets and ideas. I think is pretty amazing. It's very nice to see that by week 7 and 8, people aren't building around magpull + noivern, or random kyurem, or random bandrak + defensive support anymore.

Another trend that became especially apparent in semis is the usage of triage. In semis, all 4 players brought a triage mon. I attribute this to multiple reasons. One, dark types are extremely powerful and threatening in this meta, and triage prima/toge are some of the best ways to deal with them. It's also one of the best forms of speed control, that also has defensive utility, and triples as a wincon. Look no further than stresh v think as evidence that triage prima and triage toge are still plowing their way through teams. In a meta where it's so hard to not run passive mons, having an offensive check to miscellaneous stuff like terrakion and weavile is so unbelievably helpful.

It's week 9 and most people by now have realized the power of magic bounce on the meta. Hazards are rarely ever the priority anymore. By now, most players understand that clicking rocks at any time in AAA is a huge risk, and often not worth it. The only time it's safe or even a good play to click rocks is when you've scouted and either eliminated or heavily conditioned out the bouncer, and by then it's already the endgame. Because of this, you can a lot of times feel comfortable bluffing bounce as opposed to even running it, opting for a different ability instead. And rockers are different, too. So many players are just slapping on last-minute rocks on their scarfer or something now (we saw multiple 3 scarf rocks terrak in semis, and a scarf rocks drill), forgoing the idea of building around a bulky, reliable rocker. Because chances are, you're relying on surprise factor to get up rocks once anyways in a lot of matchups. Moldy hazards don't contribute too much, either. With some exceptions, giving up your ability slot to run mold breaker just for hazards is absolutely huge, and usually means you're running a bad mon on your team. Together, this idea ties in with the first trend of creative breaking very closely; because it's so ridiculously hard to execute more traditional gameplans of pressuring through rocks and solid team composition, players are now relying on the unorthodox to break the standard extremely sturdy cores built for the supposedly dominant powerhouses of the metagame.

Also worth noting that most series have gentlemanned no gar the past 2 weeks.
Thanks for reading have a blessed day

Last edited:
I gotta write chef quick before thread closes shit. Hello I'm 69-tuple Michelin star chef thimo with an extraordinary dish today, consisting of beans covered in peanut butter and mayonnaise, with a slight touch of salt and pepper and not one, but two oak tree leaves. Enjoy!
IMG_20200611_033108100.jpg

made u look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)