OM Victim of the Week! Week 12: MnM Magearna

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. ChrystalFalchion
2. Chessking345
3. Roldski32

I like aeri Gyarados but given it's life orb double edge, weak to rocks and has no recovery, I'd be hard pressed to call it a consistent counter. Especially since Buzzwole comes on the field typically much more easily that gyara does so even in offense mu you'd have to expect to check it 3 or 4 times which is jut not happening.

Congratulations to both ChrystalFalchion and Roldski32 for coming tied first this week with their sets! Chessking came in third! HoF will be updated very soon!

This weeks VotW is...

Kyogre-Primal @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Quiver Dance
- Spore
- Ice Beam

[Submissions end 2nd August]​

Last edited:
Another poison heal booster, eh

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
Anchor Shot
Topsy Turvy / Spectral Thief
Shore Up
Leech Seed / Entrainment
Only fearing a minimally annoying burn, Ferrothorn can easily switch into this Kyogre set:
+1 252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 135-159 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recoveryy
Then recover if it needs to. Once at more than 80% health it can anchor shot to trap the kyogre and then topsy turvy to neutralize it. Run entrainment to kill it faster, or leech seed to kill it slowly but surely; your anchor shot will slowly chip it down since the leech seed damage nullifies the poison heal recovery. Set is self-improof as long as Imp isn't running a Shed Shell. This ferro set also counters non-LK regigigas, Pixilate Mega Diancie, defensive trapper Primal Groudon, and all PH Xerneas and SF MMY variants without fighting coverage.

abriel

I’m with you.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Slowbro-Mega @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Core Enforcer / Worry Seed
- Defog
- U-Turn / Parting Shot
- Shore Up

Unaware Slowbro-Mega is a counter to Kyogre. Goggles prevent Slowbro from being affected by Spore, and with Unaware and a resistance to both attacking moves Kyogre is running, Slowbro easily shrugs off the damage.

252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Slowbro-Mega: 76-90 (19.2 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Slowbro-Mega: 57-67 (14.4 - 17%) -- possible 6HKO

In return, Slowbro’s Core Enforcer nullifies Poison Heal and forces Kyogre out. Alternatively, you could run Worry Seed to force out PH Xerneas, since it is immune to Core Enforcer. You could also run a trapping move over Defog if your only aim with the set is to trap and eliminate Kyogre.

Last edited:
Utility Bounce Dialga as a Counter

Dialga @ Steelium Z
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Core Enforcer
- Spectral Thief / Defog
- Shore Up

Kyogre can burn you but you threaten to trap and remove it. If it sets up excessively you have Spectral and Toxic Damage racks up so you can recover stall if you have Defog instead. This mon also checks PH Regigigas, NormGar, and PH Xern as well as being generally useful because of Bounce.
252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dialga: 90-107 (22.2 - 26.4%) -- 16.8% chance to 4HKO
+2 252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dialga: 181-213 (44.8 - 52.7%) -- 24.2% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Tapu Fini @ Toxic Orb
Sassy Nature
- King's Shield
- Worry Seed
- Scald
- U-turn / Spectral Thief

PH Utility Tapu Fini as a counter to Kyogre-Primal
+1 252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 82-97 (23.8 - 28.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 110-129 (31.9 - 37.5%) -- 65% chance to 4HKO after Poison Heal
Worry Seed forces it out, as well as catching other PH users like Xerneas, and Normalize Gengar; King's Shield ensures Toxic Orb activates, and can also scout threatening Band users like Rayquaza and Mewtwo; Scald burns things; and U-Turn pivots Tapu Fini out, underspeeding common base 90 walls like Giratina, Kyogre, and Dialga. Spectral Thief also works as extra security against Quiver Dance boosts, especially if you want to face off Xerneas more.

Last edited:

D2TheW

Amadán
Sturdinja as a counter
Shedinja @ Rawst Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Evs: 252 Atk/252 Spe
Lonely/Naughty Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shift Gear
- Sleep Talk
Not exactly classic Sturdinja but every bit as effective. Preferably you switch in on Spore so you don't get scald burned and since it can't kill you otherwise you have free reign to sleep talk some boosts. Shift Gear patches up your shit speed, Spectral Thief is your strongest stab, CC gives you perfect coverage. Rawst is better than Lum as being asleep is useful. Hates hazards, obviously but since everything can run Defog it's not an issue. No def/SpDef evs to help against imposter. Imposterproofing isn't an issue as Sturdinja only works with 1 HP, it's slow as balls and even with Blisseys HP it's pretty frail. If you really want to imposter proof, bring something with good physical bulk that hits supper effectively on the defense dropped by it's nature. Pdon fits the bill pretty well. Calcs aren't really necessary as Kyogre can't kill it without the burn and you'll kill it quickly once you start boosting. If you really think it needs calcs tell me and I'll edit them in.

So is Victim of the week more like
"What's a viable, potentially underated set that you can fit in your team to beat this threat"
Or is it
"How can you beat this set THE HARDEST"

Cause it seems every week there's completely unviable sets posted with calcs like "even if it boosts tom +23 you STILL WALL"
and I don't really get the point of such theorics if the set is never gonna be in a team anyway

Shoutouts Drampa AV magpull landors

EDIT: Just realised putting this and my set in the same post might screw over likes count for the set so I removeth'd it.
If you liked this post for the set u kno what to do :wink:

Last edited:

D2TheW

Amadán
So is Victim of the week more like
"What's a viable, potentially underated set that you can fit in your team to beat this threat"
Or is it
"How can you beat this set THE HARDEST"

Cause it seems every week there's completely unviable sets posted with calcs like "even if it boosts tom +23 you STILL WALL"
and I don't really get the point of such theorics if the set is never gonna be in a team anyway

Shoutouts DrampaAV magpull landorus

----------------------------------------

PH Arceus as hard check / counter
This is a good point actually, not something I'd considered. I've been treating this as a "what's the best counter to this mon in the perfect scenario for each" as in you switch in your counter the first turn after the "victim" comes in. I'm also working on the assumption that, you're coming in at full health, with no status crippling you unless the "victim" does it to you. Pretty much any Mon can beat it's counter if the counter is statused, at 40% and taking a load of hazard damage when it switches in and also it's already got a bunch of boosts up. Maybe that's just my dumbass mindset but if there is a definitive goal like "Useful underrated set" or "hardest counter" or even "most creative counter" that we should be aiming to fulfill, it wouldn't hurt to know what that goal is.

Yes, i agree, I think that one of the rules should be that the mon has other versatility besides checking the exact threat. If new players were to actually build around some of these weird gimmick sets they'd often have a dead slot on their team which pretty much defeats the resource part of the topic and turns it more into a game of one-upmanship

D2TheW

Amadán
Yes, i agree, I think that one of the rules should be that the mon has other versatility besides checking the exact threat. If new players were to actually build around some of these weird gimmick sets they'd often have a dead slot on their team which pretty much defeats the resource part of the topic and turns it more into a game of one-upmanship
Ok if this is the case then I gotta change my sets cos rawst berry Sturdinja isn't exactly the most viable version possible outside of this particular victim lmfao

Unaware Kyogre as a Counter.

Kyogre-Primal @ Leftovers / Safety Goggles
Relaxed Nature
- Revelation Dance
- Shore Up
- Spectral Thief
- U-turn

Not going to do that much back but easily forces ogre out and gains momentum in the process. If you want to actually try and kill it you can run core but the utility gained from u-turn or the counter-sweeping potential of thief is too much to give up.

252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Kyogre-Primal: 47-56 (11.6 - 13.8%) -- guaranteed 6HKO after burn damage

Even if you get burned it's doing chip damage to you at most. If you're lefties this means you also can't get slept. I'd rather have lefties for the general utility since sooner or later this ogre will take a burn and i'd rather have lefties to mitigate that as opposed to goggles to prevent me from taking a sleep.

+4 252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Revelation Dance vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Kyogre-Primal: 159-187 (39.3 - 46.2%) -- 83.6% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal

If they're stupid enough to let you steal their boosts you can dent them decently hard but why would they even stay in?

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!

Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Spectral Thief
- Leech Seed / Defog / Spikes / U-turn / Spiky Shield

SpDef PH Ogre as a counter. Sometimes you just gotta fight water with water. Defensive variants of PH Ogre solidly counter the PH boosting sets by being immune to status, not taking any meaningful damage from their attacks, and stealing boosts with Spectral Thief. This set can then take advantage of PH Ogre to freely defog or set hazards, can use Leech Seed to prevent it from recovering, or get momentum with U-turn. SpDef PH Ogre is also a strong counter to PH Xern, Triage Ray lacking Giga Drain, and some Mega Gengar sets, among others.

PH Arceus as hard check / counter.

Arceus @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Spectral Thief
- King's Shield / Spiky Shield / Leech Seed
- Swords Dance

+1 252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Arceus: 192-226 (43.2 - 50.9%)
252 Atk Arceus Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 183-216 (45.2 - 53.4%)

Arceus is generally really good at out damaging other PH sweepers such as Ogre or Xern.
You can come in, Spectral Thief away the quiver dance (boosting your spd) and then basically wall then as you know outspeed them.
SD is better to overpower PH sweepers faster and Arceus can afford to run it while still outpaceing a lot of common offensive threats.
Protect move is really nice for recovery throughout the game. KS means you can potentially stop MMX from checking you. Leech is riskier as it can be bounced but it's neat for recovery and beating shed.

Anyway Arceus has a bunch of other options but that's the set I chose to post. Good no-so-passive answer that can serve as a late game cleaner and general annoyance. PH means you can afford to have it on field a lot and protect is useful to scout choice locked mons such as Gengar and Ray.
Having a specs moongeist switchin on a team is also really nice.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
ph mmx as a hard check/counter

Alpha Kretin (Mewtwo-Mega-X) @ Toxic Orb
Hasty Nature
- Tail Glow
- Psycho Boost
- Low Kick
- Spikes

moves can be changed depending on team. basically you 2hko them with low kick while scald fails to 2hko in return, even at +1.
timid hits like a baby with muscular dystrophy.
252 Atk Mewtwo-Mega-X Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 222-262 (54.9 - 64.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
+1 252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mewtwo-Mega-X: 198-234 (47.5 - 56.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

Voting is up! Shoutout you guys for this project being hugely active still even though this is the second Poison Heal BH mon in a row!
Another poison heal booster, eh

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
Anchor Shot
Topsy Turvy / Spectral Thief
Shore Up
Leech Seed / Entrainment
Only fearing a minimally annoying burn, Ferrothorn can easily switch into this Kyogre set:
+1 252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 135-159 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recoveryy
Then recover if it needs to. Once at more than 80% health it can anchor shot to trap the kyogre and then topsy turvy to neutralize it. Run entrainment to kill it faster, or leech seed to kill it slowly but surely; your anchor shot will slowly chip it down since the leech seed damage nullifies the poison heal recovery. Set is self-improof as long as Imp isn't running a Shed Shell. This ferro set also counters non-LK regigigas, Pixilate Mega Diancie, defensive trapper Primal Groudon, and all PH Xerneas and SF MMY variants without fighting coverage.

Slowbro-Mega @ Safety Goggles
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Core Enforcer / Worry Seed
- Defog
- U-Turn / Parting Shot
- Shore Up

Unaware Slowbro-Mega is a counter to Kyogre. Goggles prevent Slowbro from being affected by Spore, and with Unaware and a resistance to both attacking moves Kyogre is running, Slowbro easily shrugs off the damage.

252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Slowbro-Mega: 76-90 (19.2 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Slowbro-Mega: 57-67 (14.4 - 17%) -- possible 6HKO

In return, Slowbro’s Core Enforcer nullifies Poison Heal and forces Kyogre out. Alternatively, you could run Worry Seed to force out PH Xerneas, since it is immune to Core Enforcer. You could also run a trapping move over Defog if your only aim with the set is to trap and eliminate Kyogre.

Utility Bounce Dialga as a Counter

Dialga @ Steelium Z
Ability: Magic Bounce
Sassy Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Core Enforcer
- Spectral Thief / Defog
- Shore Up

Kyogre can burn you but you threaten to trap and remove it. If it sets up excessively you have Spectral and Toxic Damage racks up so you can recover stall if you have Defog instead. This mon also checks PH Regigigas, NormGar, and PH Xern as well as being generally useful because of Bounce.
252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dialga: 90-107 (22.2 - 26.4%) -- 16.8% chance to 4HKO
+2 252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dialga: 181-213 (44.8 - 52.7%) -- 24.2% chance to 2HKO

Tapu Fini @ Toxic Orb
Sassy Nature
- King's Shield
- Worry Seed
- Scald
- U-turn / Spectral Thief

PH Utility Tapu Fini as a counter to Kyogre-Primal
+1 252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 82-97 (23.8 - 28.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 110-129 (31.9 - 37.5%) -- 65% chance to 4HKO after Poison Heal
Worry Seed forces it out, as well as catching other PH users like Xerneas, and Normalize Gengar; King's Shield ensures Toxic Orb activates, and can also scout threatening Band users like Rayquaza and Mewtwo; Scald burns things; and U-Turn pivots Tapu Fini out, underspeeding common base 90 walls like Giratina, Kyogre, and Dialga. Spectral Thief also works as extra security against Quiver Dance boosts, especially if you want to face off Xerneas more.

Sturdinja as a counter
Shedinja @ Rawst Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Evs: 252 Atk/252 Spe
Lonely/Naughty Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shift Gear
- Sleep Talk
Not exactly classic Sturdinja but every bit as effective. Preferably you switch in on Spore so you don't get scald burned and since it can't kill you otherwise you have free reign to sleep talk some boosts. Shift Gear patches up your shit speed, Spectral Thief is your strongest stab, CC gives you perfect coverage. Rawst is better than Lum as being asleep is useful. Hates hazards, obviously but since everything can run Defog it's not an issue. No def/SpDef evs to help against imposter. Imposterproofing isn't an issue as Sturdinja only works with 1 HP, it's slow as balls and even with Blisseys HP it's pretty frail. If you really want to imposter proof, bring something with good physical bulk that hits supper effectively on the defense dropped by it's nature. Pdon fits the bill pretty well. Calcs aren't really necessary as Kyogre can't kill it without the burn and you'll kill it quickly once you start boosting. If you really think it needs calcs tell me and I'll edit them in.

Unaware Kyogre as a Counter.

Kyogre-Primal @ Leftovers / Safety Goggles
Relaxed Nature
- Revelation Dance
- Shore Up
- Spectral Thief
- U-turn

Not going to do that much back but easily forces ogre out and gains momentum in the process. If you want to actually try and kill it you can run core but the utility gained from u-turn or the counter-sweeping potential of thief is too much to give up.

252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Kyogre-Primal: 47-56 (11.6 - 13.8%) -- guaranteed 6HKO after burn damage

Even if you get burned it's doing chip damage to you at most. If you're lefties this means you also can't get slept. I'd rather have lefties for the general utility since sooner or later this ogre will take a burn and i'd rather have lefties to mitigate that as opposed to goggles to prevent me from taking a sleep.

+4 252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Revelation Dance vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Kyogre-Primal: 159-187 (39.3 - 46.2%) -- 83.6% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal

If they're stupid enough to let you steal their boosts you can dent them decently hard but why would they even stay in?

Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Spectral Thief
- Leech Seed / Defog / Spikes / U-turn / Spiky Shield

SpDef PH Ogre as a counter. Sometimes you just gotta fight water with water. Defensive variants of PH Ogre solidly counter the PH boosting sets by being immune to status, not taking any meaningful damage from their attacks, and stealing boosts with Spectral Thief. This set can then take advantage of PH Ogre to freely defog or set hazards, can use Leech Seed to prevent it from recovering, or get momentum with U-turn. SpDef PH Ogre is also a strong counter to PH Xern, Triage Ray lacking Giga Drain, and some Mega Gengar sets, among others.

PH Arceus as hard check / counter.

Arceus @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Spectral Thief
- King's Shield / Spiky Shield / Leech Seed
- Swords Dance

+1 252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Arceus: 192-226 (43.2 - 50.9%)
252 Atk Arceus Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 183-216 (45.2 - 53.4%)

Arceus is generally really good at out damaging other PH sweepers such as Ogre or Xern.
You can come in, Spectral Thief away the quiver dance (boosting your spd) and then basically wall then as you know outspeed them.
SD is better to overpower PH sweepers faster and Arceus can afford to run it while still outpaceing a lot of common offensive threats.
Protect move is really nice for recovery throughout the game. KS means you can potentially stop MMX from checking you. Leech is riskier as it can be bounced but it's neat for recovery and beating shed.

Anyway Arceus has a bunch of other options but that's the set I chose to post. Good no-so-passive answer that can serve as a late game cleaner and general annoyance. PH means you can afford to have it on field a lot and protect is useful to scout choice locked mons such as Gengar and Ray.
Having a specs moongeist switchin on a team is also really nice.

ph mmx as a hard check/counter

Alpha Kretin (Mewtwo-Mega-X) @ Toxic Orb
Hasty Nature
- Tail Glow
- Psycho Boost
- Low Kick
- Spikes

moves can be changed depending on team. basically you 2hko them with low kick while scald fails to 2hko in return, even at +1.

252 Atk Mewtwo-Mega-X Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 222-262 (54.9 - 64.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
+1 252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mewtwo-Mega-X: 198-234 (47.5 - 56.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

Since no-one has voted and I'm a silly Billy who forgot can I nom something real quick? (That's rhetorical I'm doing it anyway)

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Mild Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Shell Smash
- Fleur Cannon

Check, works only while terrain is up and can OHKO or even boost up if you're feeling fancy. Also works later if you can abuse the sleep clause. Feel free not to let people vote for this I just wanted to post

Going to abstain from voting this week but I heard everyone who votes on this project gets a virtual pat on the head from The Immortal
so get voting!

Last edited:
Since no-one has voted and I'm a silly Billy who forgot can I nom something real quick? (That's rhetorical I'm doing it anyway)

Groudon @ Red Orb
Mild Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Shell Smash
- Fleur Cannon

Check, works only while terrain is up and can OHKO or even boost up if you're feeling fancy. Also works later if you can abuse the sleep clause.

252 Atk Groudon-Primal Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal in Electric Terrain: 460-542 (113.8 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Groudon-Primal: 107-126 (26.4 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Groudon-Primal: 159-188 (39.3 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. -1 252 HP / 252 SpD Groudon-Primal: 318-375 (78.7 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So you can comfortably switch into any move and either OHKO them or smash, although you take a lot of damage if they QD twice then hit you at -1 (but you still win assuming bolt strike hits)

Last edited:

Groudon @ Red Orb
Mild Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Shell Smash
- Fleur Cannon

Check, works only while terrain is up and can OHKO or even boost up if you're feeling fancy. Also works later if you can abuse the sleep clause. Feel free not to let people vote for this I just wanted to post
post will be added by you don't get a pat on the head from TI

1. Mamp
2. Will
3. SL42

In general sets that switch into both Xern and Ogre are super useful cause you're not wasting another slot for the other PH mon.
Defensive ogre is quite cool cause it applies pressure to a lot of mons, actually checks rayquaza and diancie, and can take even heavily offensive ogre variants.

Magic Bounce Dialga in practice tends to be really easily pressured long term. Ogre is a very long term mon in most matchups which is something to keep in mind.
Ferro I don't think is too good rn cause it's also pressured and is a free switch for Rayquaza. Running ferro also means you prob need another steel on your team for Ray which is wack.

Groudon is a pretty good check imo, maybe not so much long term but it'd fit on different teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)