OM Better Battler Project

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
original idea and some of the OP from the OU forum
approved by Eevee General and The Immortal

Welcome to the OM Better Battler Project!

One of the biggest struggles new players face when starting out in any game is improving how they play. In most strategy games it is encouraged to review games afterwards in order to gain an understanding of what to improve on. However, how can a new player truly improve if they aren't fully aware of what they did right or wrong? Not to mention the frustration of losing often prevents people from analyzing their games regardless of experience.

This is where the Better Battler Project comes in.

This thread has two purposes, for newer players to receive assistance on how to play matches and for experienced players to go through their own thought processes during a match, allowing both newer and more experienced users alike improve the way they play.

Also, I'll periodically post a printscreen from a team matchup and ask players to assess how they would approach the match.

The Basic Idea
  • Any player can post a replay of a recent match they had, an importable of their team and a summary of the match, explaining their goal for the match and key plays made.
  • Experienced members of the community can also help out as they wish. The goal is to analyze games and give tips.
  • Tournament players and other experienced users are also encouraged to post replays of good matches they've had recently to demonstrate what sort of thought process a good player will have during a match (OMGS replays!). These will likely not be analysed by the team and are there for the benefit of all.
Rules
  • Be civil, the aim of this thread is to help people, not scare them off. Like my mom always used to say, If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Any flaming of other users WILL NOT be tolerated.
  • Make sure to use Hide tags in your post to prevent cluttering (for those that don't know it's [ hide ] what you want to say [ /hide ] (remove the spaces inside the square brackets)).
  • This is for any of the OMs supported on PS! main.
  • Do not help people if you yourself are not experienced. Doing that will only serve to clutter the thread.
Guidelines for people posting replays
  • Upload matches you felt were close and weren't swayed one way or another because of hax. It's hard to help someone get better if the match was just a jirachi paraflinching everything in its path.
  • Giving some context to what the team(s) you are using are trying to accomplish will help people write better reviews.
  • If you have further questions you want to ask a reviewer, PM them privately to avoid cluttering the thread.
Guidelines for people responding to replays
  • First ones pretty simple, don't give the person shit because they're not at the same skill level as you, thats just going against all the stuff this thread is trying to promote. Being thorough with criticism, however, is encouraged.
  • Try to focus on improving the players thought process rather than criticising poor move choices. If those move choices reflect a poor thought process then go ahead and comment on them but if the person switched in a Bisharp on a potential Defog from a Latios and the opponent used HP Fire instead then dont berate them for it.
  • Do not give a play-by-play commentary rather than actually attempting to improve the way the person plays. Some things to get you started:
    • What do you view as the wincon in this matchup?
    • What is your biggest threat to your opponents team?
    • What are ways you can bring it in safely?
    • What is the biggest threat to your team on the opponents team?
    • How can said threat get a free switch?
    • How would you lead vs. this person? (assume you don't already know what they lead!)
    • Pick 2-3 turns where you would have made a different play and clearly explain why. Please don't chose turns that were just mis-predictions on something close to a 50/50.
Template for posting
Code:
Battle: Put your battle link(s) here
[HIDE=Team]copy and paste your team into here[/HIDE]
Username: Put your username for the battle(s) here
Summary: Put the summary of the match(es) and a description of your team's strategy here

Last edited:

scpinion

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll get things kicked off with the replay from g3 in my Monotype Open match vs. Paleo to provide an example of how experienced players can go through their thought process during a battle. I lost, but reflecting on the battle it is very clear where I went wrong and it can serve as a learning example for anyone.

Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-311441380
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic
- Recover
- Discharge

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Toxic

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Happiness: 0
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Happiness: 0
Bold Nature
- Transform

Staraptor @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
Username: scpinion
This was a pretty even matchup from team preview. He has Stall Breaker Mew, which I expected him to lead since it 1v1s my whole team and completely shuts down Chan/Pory2. I have a U-Turn spam offensive core that can cause some trouble for his team if it gets rolling. He primarily relies on Mew to beat Chan/Pory, so I set out to play aggressively and pressure Mew early so I could win with those in the late game.

Some thought processes from specific turns:

Turn 1: I'm willing to let Ditto get burned to status the Mew and confirm it is a Stall Breaker set. Victini is the only physical attacker he has for me to copy and that is completely walled by Slowbro. U-turning on it to gain momentum will work regardless of whether I'm burned or not. I also need status on the Mew to 2HKO it w/ Mega-Pidgeot's Hurricane.

Turn 3: Standard Double. He predicts me going to Chansey and getting rocks, which gives him a chance to annoy me, spread status, and set rocks w/ Mew. Once again, my goal is to pressure the Mew so I can win w/ my defensive core late and this is a good chance catch it on a double.

Turn 6:
I bring Chansey in off my u-turn because I want to set rocks and force Mew to come in so I can continue pressuring it. Slowbro wasn't a threat because I have Discharge Pory2, which would beat it in the late game barring some kind of CM setup set, which I didn't think he was running with that team build.
Turn 7: I set rocks on the switch to Mew.
Turn 8: I bring in Diggersby on a predicted Defog or SR w/ the Mew at ~55%. I didn't go to Mega-Pidegot because that forces Mew out and would bring something like Hoopa in off the Victini sack. I was worried about this because it required me to switch in Chan/Pory2 and those give Mew a chance to recover back up.
Turn 9: The WoW miss sucked for Paleo, but I'm banded so the Mew was going down either way unless I got an awful roll, which I was willing to risk given my plan of winning w/ Chan/Pory2 (Frustration does 40-47% to 252 HP / 0 Def Mew while burned + 12.5% from the Burn). From here, I really should have won this battle, but I misplayed a few turns later.

Turn 12: In hindsight, I choked on this turn and it really cost me the match... I didn't recover because I feared a Trick, which I thought would render my Chansey useless. I should have just Soft Boiled because switching Chansey out at ~60% w/ rocks up on the next turn left it unable to take two hits (and mostly useless anyways). Turns out he didn't even have Trick and this was really a choke. :/

Turn 18: This is why even a scarf Chansey at full would have been more useful. Something would have gotten para'd on that turn, which would help Pory2 do its job of walling everything on his team. Alternatively, I could have sacked Mega-Pidgeot and tried to get Chansey in on Slowbro to recover back up. I didn't do this because I know Paleo is a very good player and would likely play to keep Chansey from recovering.

Turn 22-24: My only chance to win (w/o crits) after Pory2 got burned on the switch was a Discharge para on the Hoopa. I recovered on Turn 23 in case he clicked Substitute to force me to take a turn of burn w/o risking para.

edit: sorry about that, the replay link and importable went missing somehow x_x

Last edited:
Here's a recent replay of a simple mid-ladder match, with Rock vs. Ground. This matchup was in favor of my opponent since I struggle a lot against Excadrill + Hippowdon, and I did end up losing, but I think that I still had a chance to win if I made a few different plays here and there. However, in matchups like these, playing carefully is really important, so evaluating those plays are as equally important.

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-316467135
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 44 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Protect

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Mirror Coat
- Toxic
- Recover

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Avalanche

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
Username: RegirockyBalboa
Right from Team Preview, I can see that Excadrill + Hippowdon are my main issues. I have Mega Diancie and Choice Band Terrakion on the team, so I believe that I'll need to use them to put lots of offensive pressure on Hippowdon, as Excadrill is easily taken care of once Hippowdon is out of the picture. If I can't get rid of Hippowdon first, I know I'll need Rhyperior to stomach a hit from Excadrill and OHKO back, so I can't use Rhyperior to handle the Garchomp or Mamoswine, since its health would be too low for it to take on Excadrill.

I lead with Shuckle as a usually do since it has a decent matchup with anything other than Excadrill, and Sticky Web helps a lot if Excadrill doesn't have Rapid Spin. Leading with pretty much anything else at this point was really risky.

Turn 1:
I figure that Hippowdon will set Stealth Rock, so I went ahead and laid my own Sticky Web. It is more important to get Sticky Webs down since, if Mamoswine or Garchomp have a Choice Scarf, Terrakion and Mega Diancie can't revenge too well.

Turn 2:
Hippowdon has no reason to stay in since it already has Stealth Rock down, so I went ahead and used Knock Off, hoping to cripple anything coming in. Luckily, it's Excadrill, so Rhyperior has an easier time taking it on later.

Turn 3:
I play it safe and go for the Encore, just in case he has Swords Dance. Locking him into Rapid Spin wasn't too bad though, since that gives me a free switch into anything, or a Knock Off on the switch-in.

Turn 4:
Removing the Life Orb was good, so it helps TTar take Landorus on more comfortably in an emergency.

Turn 5:
I have no safe switch-ins or any reason to preserve Shuckle, so I just decided to lay hazards down.

Turn 6:
Again, just laying hazards down.

Turn 7:
Nothing else for Shuckle to do, so I simply used Encore.
He switched out Landorus into Excadrill, which I didn't mind too much since there's no sand up yet, letting Terrakion revenge after Shuckle is removed.

Turn 8:
I took a big risk and switched Terrakion into the predicted Rapid Spin which was revealed on Excadrill earlier, and this pays off in the end, putting me in position to fire off a Close Combat on something.

Turn 9:
I was really hoping that that play would allow me to get rid of Hippowdon, but sadly I ended up missing the 2HKO due to a low roll.

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 204-241 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Turn 10:
Sadly, I had to allow Hippowdon to heal up since I couldn't risk keeping Terrakion in, so I brought in Cradily who easily handles anything Hippowdon could have.

Turn 11:
The switch was clear, but I still wanted to play it safe just in case, going with Giga Drain.

Turn 12:
I think that I might've miscalculated the damage that Cradily would take since sandstorm was up. Simply using Recover here to stall out Sandstorm + Sand Force probably would've been better.

Turn 13:
I weighed my options, and it seemed clear that something on my side had to faint this turn. Shuckle was least valuable at this point in the game, so RIP.

Turn 14:
I predicted that my opponent would expect Mega Diancie to use Protect and go right into either Gastrodon or Hippowdon, so I took advantage of that and simply used Moonblast. Unfortunately I didn't expect Gastrodon to have as much Special Defense investment as it did, so I couldn't 2HKO.

Turn 15:
I knew that Choice Band Terrakion could OHKO Gastrodon since it seemed like it had heavy SpD investment > Defense, so I hard switched into it, since neither Scald nor Earth Power would OHKO.

Turn 16:
Thankfully, this lures Hippowdon right in, and I actually score a chance to 2HKO it with Close Combat! I knew that something else had to faint on his side next turn, so I simply used CC again.

Turn 17:
bonk

Turn 18:
bonk

Turn 19:
Excadrill comes in, but since Shuckle removed its Life Orb earlier, a calc reveals that Rhyperior now avoids the 2HKO from Excadrill, so I don't have to lose anything just yet.

Turn 20:
It might've been best to just use Avalanche and predict the switch, but I just really wanted Excadrill gone ~o~

Turn 21:
Something on both sides die, and I don't need Tyranitar anymore since Landorus-I is gone. Having Tyranitar late-game may turn into a liability since Excadrill can take advantage of my sand at that point.

Turn 22:
At this point, I end up losing control of the match. I focused too much on Excadrill and Hippowdon, so I failed to realize how well Mamoswine cleans up late-game. I couldn't lose Rhyperior just yet, so RIP Cradily.

Turn 23:
This... was a bad turn. I really should've just used the damage calc, since I underestimated Ice Shard's damage.

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 94-110 (29.1 - 34%) -- 2.1% chance to 3HKO

Turn 24:
At this point I knew that I had pretty much lost, since, without Terrakion, I couldn't break through Gastrodon. I just went ahead and tried to revenge kill with Diancie, but Gastrodon just walls Diancie :x

Turn 25-29:
My team is weakened enough, so my opponent can easily clean up with Mamoswine and end the game.

tl;dr (just watch the replay at least :s) I tried playing very offensively in the beginning to weaken my opponent's main wall, Hippowdon, and this strategy worked out very well. I suppose the main reasons for my loss was that I didn't expect my opponent to have SpD Gastrodon > Def Gastrodon, and Mamoswine turned out to be just as threatening as Excadrill, although I didn't take account of that early on.

Last edited:
Here's a OT match between Me and Cracked Fingers (Bug vs Steel.) I was using Sabella's HO Bug for this tour with a few ev changes, so I would give my opponent the advantage here considering the HO Bug Team struggles to take care of Heatran. I think i had a decent chance if a few better plays were made especially keeping Heracross around since it was my only real answer to tran. (Watch the replay :3.)

Replay Time: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-316804273

The Team: (Minimal Changes) http://monotypeps.weebly.com/bootys-offensive-bug.html

I played horribly here but time to analyze!

Turn 1: Alright so, looking back on the battle I shouldn't have lead with volcarona expecting the volt turn but at the time I had been thinking about taking care of ferro as quickly as possible. Better Play: Lead with either galv to volt switch out or lead with armaldo. Cant tell you why I would Bug Buzz there knowing the tran switch. overall bad play

Turn 5: Sending in Galv expecting a taunt or rocks was a pretty decent play on my part but looking back on it I should have doubled to volc expecting ferro and from there gone to Heracross when he went into tran to counter volc. This play would have put me in the best position possible considering Skarm couldnt take 2 close combats coming in on the switch and he would have had to sack either tran or skarm (most likely skarm.)

Some Close Combat Calcs :3
252+ Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 118-141 (35.3 - 42.2%) -- 88.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Skarm was at 72% at that point and unless I got 2 of the lowest rolls it most likely dies after switching in.

Turn 10-11: Alright so Hera is at plus 1 and I'm in a great spot. Misplay: I end up having hera dies to bullet punch on that turn :/. Thought Process: Hera is at plus 1 and can do some serious damage to his scizor and put me in a better spot, I thought he would swords dance here expecting the switch which would have him in an ideal position if no flame body burn from the volcarona switch. Better Play: Live to see another day and put volcarona in regardless knowing that I'm defensive and can take a +2 bullet punch. Since he didnt sd I would have been able to double switch back to heracross when he went to tran to try and get another kill.

Hera Calc: +1 252+ Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 235-277 (68.5 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Volc Calc (assuming he didnt think I was defensive, which it was): +2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 169-200 (51.3 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (kills on the switch after rocks.)

Turn 12: Sadly the match at this point is virtually over. I've lost my only answer to Heatran which means he can just outplay me with it since I cant touch it at this point. Not too much I could have done after this point so the plays were relatively lackadaisical since I had already lost.

Okay well that's about it, pretty sure I did this correctly so I'll go ahead and end it here

Played pretty badly from the start. Really would have benefited if I thought out half of these plays. If you see anything else I did wrong go ahead and shoot me a reply other than that I'm just about done :) (Hopefully I explained it well and it wasn't confusing as hell ~_~)

If I actually thought before I played I would be as good as you Clearly rofl

Last edited:
This is a ladder match between Me and Arken. It was a very fun match despite the slightly unfavorable matchup of Electric v Dark. Enjoy!
Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-311154060

I said (Ampharos) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Its Great (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

UHUH (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave
- Discharge

To be (Raikou) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

A WHAT (Magnezone) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 246 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Mirror Coat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flash Cannon

Chompit (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Taunt
Username: Asz1ran
At team preview I can see multiple headaches for my team, primarily spdef Ttar and Hoopa. Hoopa no matter if scarfed, life orb, or av, gives Electric lots of fits considering you have to figure out which type of Hoopa it is. I know that the priority of any player and especially vs electric is to get hazards up so Ttar was almost a guaranteed lead

Turns1-6: Now both Arken and I are experienced players and he knows that Electric virtually has one effective physical attacker in Thundy. For me my priority is eliminating Tyrantitar/preventing it from getting up rocks. Also, since Arken has both Sableye and Mandy to tank a Super power. We pulled a series of plays where I doubled into Raikou predicting either of the previous pokes, while he went to Mandy to get the rocky helmet damage off. Then I would proceed to volt out as he brings out Ttar to sponge the specs voltswitch. This series was repeated because neither of us wanted to give up momentum/advantage.

Turn7: Finally I get scared/tired of these continuous doubles and decide to go for a superpower. While part of me wanted to double for the 4th consecutive time, my mentality was that Ttar was already in 2hko range from magnezone and ohko range for Ampharos, and at least one of these turns would be used for stealth rock.

Turn8: Rotom was the all-around safe play because if he roosted I would come in for free and a knockoff/foul play would not have done that much

Turn9: I volt out to gain an advantage as he sponges the hit with Hoopa. I go into mag to scout the hoopa set

Turn10-11: I scout the set and it is Scarf while he activates my Weakness Policy, allowing me to 2hko the Hoopa which is a huge stress off my shoulders.

Turn12-13: After a sack to Bisharp, I go into my Knockoff buffer which is my Max Defense Ampharos and fire a free Focus Blast. Had Sableye come in, I would have gotten an important toxic on it, in case it was CM / Spdef

Turn14: Despite the miss I am able to guarante KO the Ttar while keeping my Bisharp Check nearly unscathed. The two largest threats to my team are gone now

Turn15: Since Tyranitar is Gone and there is no Hoopa to possibly Twave with thundy, I sack my Thundururs to Crawdaunt, not wanting to take damage with amph just in case Focus Miss, does what it usually does.

Turn16: Seeing that Crawdaunt is Life Orb, I know i can knock it out with rotom and it cannot ohko my rotom with anything so Voltswitch is the obvious play

Turn17: Defogging some would say was not necessary, but it was essential for Raikou to live a Sucker Punch vs Bisharp. I felt that Arken would not go straight to Bisharp on the defog as he knew that I was aware of it.

Turn18-19: I went for Heatwave because Discharging would result in a possible paralysis of sableye which would mean Toxic on my amph was useless and a knocked off raikou wouldve struggled to KO it as well. I did not need Zapdos at this point in the game anymore.

Turn20-22: Once Sableye went down the game was basically won, As my electric mons could easily take down mandibuzz, and raikou could Ohko Sableye from the range it was at. He did not even bother to Sucker the Raikou in hopes for a crit and playing around with Focus Miss on my ampharos.

This battle was short but I feel displayed high level thought processes from both sides. Neither wanting to lose momentum. Thanks for reading!

Hey, here's a battle I had on the ladder when I was using Ice. Before that match, I just beat my peak for LTLC, so I was feeling pretty confident, and I ran into a Fighting team. The guy was about the same range of ELO as me, so I could assume he wasn't a crappy player. It was a bit disappointing to get out of 1500s, but it was a fun match regardless. Here's the replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-318258949

Team: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nuke-em-a-monotype-ice-team.3554949/ (used Specs Froslass and Scarf Kyurem substitutes)

Username: LTLC Stun2

For the most part I feel like I played well, with maybe 1 or 2 chokes. Just a reminder, fighting typically has an 80% chance to beat ice, which is almost all the time, so, be a bit understanding of the circumstances I was in. xD

Turn 1
I expected him to lead with Breloom or Infernape (for early sr set up). Piloswine was nice in both situations, because if he sent in Breloom, I'd be able to ice shard and break his focus sash, or I can quickly dispose of Infernape (assuming he sets up sr). As I guessed, he did lead with Breloom, so I went right for an ice shard to pick off some damage. I actually expected him to spore, but he goes right for the kill with Bullet Seed. Regardless, Pilo did his job for the match, so I could revenge kill Brleoom next turn.

Turn 2
I sent in Glalie, assuming I could just quickly Ice Shard and take it out, but I forgot that Breloom is faster if Jolly, so he got a hit on Glalie first before he went out. This probably contributed to my downfall, as Glalie would of been nice to save later in the match for Hawlucha to Ice Shard. Looking back Froslass was definatley the better pick of the bunch for that turn.

Turn 3
He sends in Infernape. I had no switchin, so I just went right for EQ. He sends up setting SR, which was problematic as the match moved on.

Turn 4
I expect him to Mach Punch and take Glalie out, but surprisingly he doesn't, so I get it out with Ice Shard.

Turn 5
He sends in Terrakion. I wouldn't of been able to save Glalie there due to SR being on the field (and I needed to save Avalugg to check Terrakion). So I Ice Shard to deal a little bit of damage, and Terrakion takes it out with Stone Edge (he wouldn't be able to Close Combat because of Froslass still lingering).

Turn 6
Here I send in Avalugg. For whatever reason in my head, I assumed since Terrakion took for residual damage, I could just go right for Avalanche and take it out (that was a pretty silly play even if he did switch out, probably to Keldeo if he did). Terrakion deals a massive amount of damage with Stone Edge. Avalugg does live, but now 1 more hit, and it's out. Not using Earthquake was a silly decision, and nearly costed me the match.

Turn 7
He hits another Stone Edge, and Avalugg is taken out.

Turn 8
I send in Lapras, at this point hoping he misses a Stone Edge, which to my luck he does. I used Surf, which was a petty silly decision given Keldeo can now boost against it (if it's sub cm) or Hawlucha lives an attack, gets a boost, and cleans up. Freeze Dry was the better pick of the litter here.

Turn 9
He does send in Hawlucha as I expected, but suprisingly he goes right for a boost instead of taking Lapras out. I'm locked into Surf, so once that hit, Sitrus Berry activated, and as did Unburden.

Turn 10
In a sense I was praying for if he had High Jump Kick, so I could of switched to Froslass, it would of missed, and he would of been taken out. In my head I was thinking he'd be smarter than that, and probably go for Acrobatics. I stay in just to see, accepting a loss at this point, and he atcually had Drain Punch, which sealed the deal for the match.

Turn 11
I send Kyurem in, hoping maybe its a bulky Hawlucha, and I may have a chance to outspeed it (even though that's a silly thought, I thought I'd press my dumb luck since the match was over anyways). He outspeeds, and takes Kyurem out easy.

Turn 12
From there I just forfeited, but if I sent Froslass in, Acribatics would of taken it out, and that would of been that.

It disappointed me a bit because not only did I tilt out of 1500s, but it frustrated me that I could of won. Sending Froslass into Breloom would of been very helpful, so I potentially could of saved Glalie to revenge kill Hawlucha later in the match. I also should of went straight to EQ on Terrakion, so that would of taken it out. Even with all of that not being done, when Terrakion's Stone Edge missed Lapras, idk why I didn't Freeze Dry, so Hawlucha could of been taken out earlier, and Kyurem would of had a chance to sweep.

Otherwise though, this match kept me on my toes, and it was exciting to play around. This is why I love playing with ice, because it presents a great challenge. Although, I don't normally like laddering with it, because of how many Steel and Fighting teams roam the ladder, it can be pretty frustrating. Regardless, I've been enjoying peaking with ice, and I hope some point before the challenge ends I'll make leaderboard (1550+), or even be lucky enough to be the 2nd person to peak 1600 up with ice! xD

Thanks for checking this out, I'd love advice on how maybe I could of played better (if I missed anything), or how I could edit my team to increase my chances potentially of beating Fighting and Steel. I'd appreciate it! :)

Last edited:

scpinion

Those of you that have already submitted replays, thanks!

There have been some requests to open this up for any OM that is supported on main, not just the ones with permanent ladders. So, if you have a replay from one of the OMothMs or a meta w/o a permanent ladder then feel free to post it!

The OP has been updated to reflect this.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-318084576

This was a battle I had with iGlack. I had recently been working on a poison mono and I've always thought that poison actually has a decent matchup vs. psychic so I decided to try and test it out.

Turn 1:
Glack led with tini and from team preview I was thinking it would be band because rachi's are generally scarf. I had two ground types in the back so a turn 1 t spike was a pretty safe play as Glack just U-turned out.

Turn 2:
Deoxy's D's generally don't run psy stab and the only thing it would damage me with would've been seismic toss so I was just trying to fish for a scald burn to cripple it and make it easier to take down. Glack didn't want me to stack spikes so he got the taunt off as soon as he could.

Turn 3:
All I was trying to do was just fish for burns so spamming scald was the way to go. Glack brought in latio to apply immediate pressure to my team.

Turn 4: Glack reads me like a book this turn and dracos on my skuntank switch. I was thinking that he might try and get rid of the t spike or try and take me out with a psyshock so I was thinking I could get skuntank in and trap it. Unfortunately skuntank just dropped and my trapper was dead.

Turn 5:
Since his spA was halfed after the draco I took the opportunity to assure I got rocks up as queen was a bulky set and could chew up psyshocks.

Turns 6-8:
I really wanted to assure I got rocks up so I spammed them until latio killed nido

Turn 9:
I hadn't revealed my king set yet but the way I brought it in hinted at being scarfed. Glack made the safe play and went to rachi on the ice beam.

Turn 10:
I was taking some pretty big risks by banking on him not having zen. It would kinda make sense for him not to have zen because I kinda knew that glack likes to run a lot of utility moves on his rachis so I was just hoping he wouldn't have it. Turns out he didnt have it and didnt want to give my tentacruel a free switch so I just stayed in and ice beamed as glack used latio as fodder not wanting to risk my nido not being scarf.

Turn 11:
The hoopa was a huge threat because I let skuntank died very early. I had to just stay in and ice beam and get as much damage as possible.

Turn 12:
Turns out venu is just extremely bulk and thankfully tanked a hyperspace hole for me which allowed me to get rid of hoopa.

Turn 13:
Unfortunate that I had to sack venu to hoopa and I got to see that his mew turned out to be an offensive team as Glack showed me ice beam to finish off my venusaur.

Turns 14 and 15:
Since the mew didn't show lefties It was an offensive variant for sure. I took this turn as an opportunity to get my gengar in to get a kill. Glack sent out his deoxys as fodder to gain momentum back.

Turn 16:
I had been staying in on his rachis predicting u turns all battle so I figured I should just make the safe play into tenta to just sponge up an iron head and try and make a play from there.

Turns 17-18:
I couldn't afford to let his mew in because when he showed ice beam I instantly knew it had to be a nasty plot set. I ended up doubling right into gengar as Glack took the chance to get his mew in. Since he's not bulky, the shadow ball just took it out.

Turn 19:
He brought in tini and I don't think glack knew I was sash gengar so he tried to catch my tenta with a bolt strike. Shadow ball was my safest play even if he v created and tini dropped to a shadow ball leaving only rachi left.

Turn 20 till end of game:
Only shot glack had was to flinch my tenta all the way down but I got the scald burn which sealed the victory for me.

The ideal goal was to trap his faster mons with skuntank and then give gengar the green light but gengar ended up doing it on his own so it all worked out in the end. I thought I was doomed after skuntank died but tenta and venu came in clutch with dealing with the faster mons for me which let gengar pressure Glack's team, especially with the sash.

Hope you guys like it!

DoW

formally Death on Wings
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monogen-314981370
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 0 Spe
- Transform
-

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

This was a somewhat casual game I played against dm, rather than a ladder or tournament game, and because of this I didn't calc a few things that I perhaps should have. That said, it was a very fun and pretty high-level game in a reasonably unexplored meta.
Team preview:
Freeroamer has a lot of mons that can cause trouble for me. Weavile is generally strong against the team and means I'll have to mega evolve Slowbro early on. Manaphy could cause problems depending on the set, as could Heatran although from the team a Magma Storm tran doesn't seem hugely likely. Mega Lop looks very capable of sweeping late-game.
With that said, Ditto is hugely useful. If it can get in on Mega Lop chances are it gets a KO, while it also stops other things from wanting to set up and can be situationally useful against pretty much everything on Freeroamer's team. The Chansey/M-Slowbro core does well here too, especially if I can keep Froslass from getting too many spikes up.

In the first 8 turns a few things are revealed. Heatran's Balloon, and the damage from Scald, seem to say that it isn't too big a threat to my team, as a taunt set would be far worse. And from the way Manaphy was played, it probably either has Energy Ball or Calm Mind.
On turn 8, I wasn't too concerned about Chomp as an offensive threat, as if it did set up and break a Clefable, Ditto would be in a good position. That said, its damage against Clefable was actually a roll in my favour, something I wasn't expecting as I thought Clefable would definitely live. I decided to KO it on turn 9 rather than set rocks and send in Ditto as I was hoping to defog still, however I'm not convinced this was the best play I could have made given that Weavile was such a big threat and Zapdos didn't do well against much of Freeroamer's team.

From about turn 11 to turn 13, Freeroamer easily got around my obvious plays to take out Zapdos, which was a pretty big loss for me because if Froslass got any spikes up, my team would break easily. Luckily, from turn 14 to turn 17 I did exactly the same to his Froslass, though at that point losing Mew to take it out would have been worthwhile, given mew couldn't really do much that game except maybe get a WoW off against Weavile. That said, the hazards were now permanently decided and Slowbro no longer had Regnerator, so I'd say this put me in a slightly worse position overall.

Turn 22 was my first big mistake due to not calcing. I assumed Mega Lop's high Atk and low Def meant its fake out would be doing a somewhat high amount of damage, whereas according to the calc it actually wasn't a guaranteed 4HKO before SR. Knowing that, I'd definitely have just clicked High Jump Kick and hoped to hit enough times, especially given that the M-Slowbro / Chansey core was still extremely strong at this point.
Instead, I rashly assumed Fake Out would do enough that Ditto should switch out, basically giving up an opportunity to win the game.

Turn 37 was the other big mistake I made. I assumed that Slowbro could still take a Knock Off then heal up via a Wish. The play I should have made was to softboiled this turn, which would have given me the option of weakening Weavile somewhat so that Ditto could deal with it better. I could then have tried to rely on Slowbro and Ditto to take care of Manaphy, although honestly Freeroamer would probably have won at this point in any case.

Last edited:
Might as well revive this thread...
Here's my first game from the 'Mono Auth vs Non Auth' tour vs Yaksok

Team here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/wasted-a-psychic-monotype-rmt-featuring-1-true-lycan.3555925/
Hoopa-U set is slightly different but everything else is the same.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-326134053

Turn 1: I lead with Victini because it can break any potential sashes and can U-Turn out vs anything on my opponent's team. If he's defensive Rotom I can get a sub up with Hoopa so I go to that.

Turn 4: I don't really want to get caught in the Volt - Turn vortex so I sac Hoopa since its too slow to really damage my opponent.

Turn 5: His Draco switch-ins don't exist, so I drop a hot one.

Turns 8 -11: Mew doesnt do much except wall his rotom, so I sac it to get up stealth rocks.

Turn 12: Gotta grab my kill

Turn 13: I try to prevent the spin but Latios isn't quite strong enough to 0hko.

Turn 15:My opponent makes a nice double to avoid taking rocky helmet damage on Darmanitan.

Turn 16: Gardevoir doesnt do much so I sac it.

Turn 18: Drop a Draco

Turn 19: I make a big misplay here. Sun runs out next turn so my best play by far was to go straight into Slowbro to guarantee the win. However I decide to stay in and so I have a chance to lose if I miss too many times.

Turn 21: I miss for the second time which means the next turn is essentially a 50/50for the game.

Turn 22: If he goes for SD on my switch, I lose. If he roosts on my Draco I lose. This could have all been avoided if I had just switched out earlier. Thankfully I make the right play and manage to win the game from there.

2 in one yayyyy.
Heres my MPL week 1 Mono AAA battle against Confide.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-328336515

Turn 1: I'm refrigerate Entei so I have no qualms in clicking E-Speed. Tbh I was shocked at seeing how little damage that did. After calc'ing I realise his Mandibuzz is thick fat.

Turns 3&4: I try to spread burns with Heatran. There's no way I'm clicking stealth rock when he could still have a magic bouncer in the back.

Turn 5: I'm confident he won't go to a magic bouncer here so I set up Stealth Rocks.

Turn 6: I need to keep Heatran around since my opponent has trouble switching in to it, and also Heatran can get up Rocks again if he defogs. I sac Victini because I'm not fast enough to do much damage with it.

Turn 8: I crit him here but it didnt matter because I had stone edge to finish the job anyway.

Turn 9: Don't want to risk a miss so I E-Speed again.

Turn 10: Skarmory lives one sacred fire and I need Entei to win, so I switch into Heatran.

Turn 11: Mandibuzz is shown to be his Entei counter so I'm confident that this Skarmory won't have flash fire.

Turn 12: I could still have use for Heatran so I sac volcarona.

Turn 15 - 18: Sweep

I think my opponent definitely misplayed by switching in his Mandibuzz on my Entei. Other than Mandibuzz, he had nothing to stop Entei from sweeping.

Might as well revive this thread...
Here's my first game from the 'Mono Auth vs Non Auth' tour vs Yaksok

Team here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/wasted-a-psychic-monotype-rmt-featuring-1-true-lycan.3555925/
Hoopa-U set is slightly different but everything else is the same.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-326134053

Turn 1: I lead with Victini because it can break any potential sashes and can U-Turn out vs anything on my opponent's team. If he's defensive Rotom I can get a sub up with Hoopa so I go to that.

Turn 4: I don't really want to get caught in the Volt - Turn vortex so I sac Hoopa since its too slow to really damage my opponent.

Turn 5: His Draco switch-ins don't exist, so I drop a hot one.

Turns 8 -11: Mew doesnt do much except wall his rotom, so I sac it to get up stealth rocks.

Turn 12: Gotta grab my kill

Turn 13: I try to prevent the spin but Latios isn't quite strong enough to 0hko.

Turn 15:My opponent makes a nice double to avoid taking rocky helmet damage on Darmanitan.

Turn 16: Gardevoir doesnt do much so I sac it.

Turn 18: Drop a Draco

Turn 19: I make a big misplay here. Sun runs out next turn so my best play by far was to go straight into Slowbro to guarantee the win. However I decide to stay in and so I have a chance to lose if I miss too many times.

Turn 21: I miss for the second time which means the next turn is essentially a 50/50for the game.

Turn 22: If he goes for SD on my switch, I lose. If he roosts on my Draco I lose. This could have all been avoided if I had just switched out earlier. Thankfully I make the right play and manage to win the game from there.

2 in one yayyyy.
Heres my MPL week 1 Mono AAA battle against Confide.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-328336515

Turn 1: I'm refrigerate Entei so I have no qualms in clicking E-Speed. Tbh I was shocked at seeing how little damage that did. After calc'ing I realise his Mandibuzz is thick fat.

Turns 3&4: I try to spread burns with Heatran. There's no way I'm clicking stealth rock when he could still have a magic bouncer in the back.

Turn 5: I'm confident he won't go to a magic bouncer here so I set up Stealth Rocks.

Turn 6: I need to keep Heatran around since my opponent has trouble switching in to it, and also Heatran can get up Rocks again if he defogs. I sac Victini because I'm not fast enough to do much damage with it.

Turn 8: I crit him here but it didnt matter because I had stone edge to finish the job anyway.

Turn 9: Don't want to risk a miss so I E-Speed again.

Turn 10: Skarmory lives one sacred fire and I need Entei to win, so I switch into Heatran.

Turn 11: Mandibuzz is shown to be his Entei counter so I'm confident that this Skarmory won't have flash fire.

Turn 12: I could still have use for Heatran so I sac volcarona.

Turn 15 - 18: Sweep

I think my opponent definitely misplayed by switching in his Mandibuzz on my Entei. Other than Mandibuzz, he had nothing to stop Entei from sweeping.
I went straight into mandibuzz because I knew 2 espeeds wouldn't have killed, meaning you had to risk stone edge. But if i sacked something and went mandi, it would have still died to stone edge.
Basically there was nothing I could have done bc I had to not get crit by espeed and dodge a stone edge to even have a slight chance of winning

hey guys, did a replay from mpl.
paleo vs afd, uploaded the guidelines to yt
Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen headbutt
- Bullet punch
Terrakion @ Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

Keldeo @ Mystic Water
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Cobalion @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
father balto has motivated me so I'll drop my mpl week 1 game vs eric. As a little bonus I guess, I'm gunna add like a teambuilding process part to this post since teambuilding is such a huge aspect of monothreat and it kinda goes hand in hand with the plays I make in game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-327570865

In general while I was building a team for monothreat psy, the main thing I was looking to do was take advantage of OTR (offensive trick room). I took this direction because monothreat psy builds tend to be more offensive rather than ur standard bulky mew + bro cores. I felt that if I could take advantage of an offensive play style by going with a semi trick room build. Now into my mons.

Mew: I'm gunna go ahead and contradict what I just said about monothreat psy teams not being very defensive and say that I did infact use a bulkier mew spread. I kinda made this my dedicated lead to get rocks up and threaten with u turn to gain momentum. I packed a colbur berry on it to just take out hoopa if i needed to or if eric tried to use mew as a free way to get hoopa in, I could u turn on the switch and go from there.

Mega Garde & Reuniclus: This is where the OTR comes into play. Reuniculus actually didn't do anything in game but the main idea behind the core was to either break eric's team midgame and then clean up with victini and zam, or break early with tini and zam and clean up with TR. It turned out that Garde ended up doing some work mid game to set up zam and tini later on. Being able to run max hp on garde actually helped me out a shit ton in the game as it took a few hits in order to break down some of erics team. I was also packing shadow ball for jirachi but I didn't end up needing it. Reun was a colbur berry set to emergency check gallade along with being able to set up TR late game 100%. I packed signal beam and shadow ball on reun and calm mind on both mons.

Hoopa: I kinda thought that there really wasn't a reason to use hoopa U because I was thinking eric would be smart enough to pack some colbur mons expecting it. Instead I thought I would rather load up on ghost coverage. I slapped a scarf on it to still have the speed as well.

Victini & Zam: As I mentioned above, these two were the mons I used to piggy bank off of garde and reun or vise versa. I didn't bother running a scarf tini set because I went with the logic that I could outspeed pretty much everything else once I got rid of a scarf hoopa U or a scarf azelf. I went with a special set as well with blue flare and shadow ball which covered everything on erics team. I also had u turn for hoopa in the event of an emergency and I needed to eat my colbur to take it out. I was also packing thunder just in case eric brought a bro. I slapped on a sash zam at the end to spam ghost and bug coverage late game. I also had encore on it as well which ended up coming working out for me during the battle.

So yeah basically to sum it all up, I had the TR core along with a shit ton of ghost and bug coverage, sash zamer, and a couple colbur mons to hopefully take advantage of an offensive build I presumed eric would bring.

Eric led straight with his azelf and my brain was telling me he was scarf but I really did not want to start off the game getting my mew taunted so I just decided to u turn out and get a kill with hoopa if he did in fact taunt me. He ended up u turning into his rachi which confirmed the scarf and he brought in rachi. I went tini and just u turned to kinda lead him on a bit. if he switched out, I get momentum, if he stays in, I have just successfully bluffed the scarf and can safely go into my mew with no worries. I can use that bluff late game to make some aggressive plays as well. Eric ended up staying in with rachi on my tini so I just went straight into mew and we traded rocks. He actualy revealed doom desire and I actually had enough speed to outpace his mew so I was able to roost up and taunt his rachi to prevent any T wave shenanigans. I roosted up as he used my mew as a way to get hoopa in and I didn't show any leftovers so eric knew I had to be colbur. I had already shown u turn as well so he couldn't risk staying in and had to give up momentum. He went back into rachi and the momentum gave me a free switch into my hoopa to do some damage. I don't think eric wanted to play around and try and switch on my hoopa so he just let the rachi die. I didn't really see a use for hoopa after that because he was more than likely to be sneak gallade and he had loads of dark coverage in the back so I ended up just letting hoopa die to the azelf the following turn.

This is where the Trick room comes into play. I had the azelf locked into knock off so I took advantage of it and set up with garde. eric was forced to sack azelf because nothing could switch in on garde and I was able to get rid of potentially eric's only scarfer which was huge. He brought in mew and it turned out to be a sucker variant and I played some mind games with calm mind. I got to the point where I switched out on the turn where Trick room would end and I was able to get an encore off with zam. At that point, eric tried to use zam as a way to get hoopa in thinking I was just going to stall him out of suckers. I proceeded to just signal beam the following turn and the hoopa dropped. I didn't know it was scarf but the way he played it led me to believe he was scarf so it wasn't a bad play on his part. He then brought in his gallade and with me being sash zammer, I couldn't ohko gallade with a gleam but it forced him to be weakened and didn't allow him to SD which helped me out. He knocked once and I sacked garde the following turn to the predicted shadow sneak. This was the point where the scarf bluff on tini really proved to help me out. He sneaked the following turn as opposed to knocking which let me keep my colbur which was huge. I then just shadow balled and finished off gallade. I'm not really sure what the celebi set was but it looked like it was an offensive variant that may have been some sort of set up mon. As I said, I had the max spA blue flare packed and since he thought I was scarf he thought he could easily chew a scarf shadow ball but instead held a blue flare to the mouth and his celebi just dropped. I still had my colbur intact since gallade only sneaked me which let me just finish off the mew and seal the game.

Hope you guys like it!

Last edited:
I've been meaning to post on this thread for quite a while so here goes

Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-330791940

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

Username: terrors

Team Preview: so in team preview, the main threat that scared me was magnezone because my team does not have a lanturn. However, I had scarf keldeo which puts in a lot of work vs his team and seeing as he lacked doublade, I knew i'd be pretty much free to spam secret sword. I led off with rotom w expecting his magnezone so i could get a volt switch off and break the possible sturdy for keldeo.

Turn 1: he did end up leading off with his magnezone fortunately and i was free to click volt switch because i doubted he'd go into excadrill on a possible will o wisp or hydro pump. I managed to volt switch off on the bisharp and got a free switch in for keldeo

Turn 2: clicking secret sword was risk free because even if he went into skarmory, it did not pose a threat to me but if i clicked scald, the magnezone wouldve been troublesome.

Turn 3: i went into rotom w expecting rocks or brave bird. He went for rocks and rotom w was able to force him out

Turn 4: i actually went for will o wisp instead of volt switch here just in case he decides to play risky and go into exca. probably not the best play but w/e. Lum berry was annoying but i was phys def rotom w so i could easily eat up a knock off

Turn 5: i decided to go for volt switch in case he goes into heatran. Even if he stayed in, it gave me a free switch in to keldeo

Turn 6: he decides to sac bisharp which i'm fine with to get some damage off on keldeo. I went for scald this time and again it probably wasn't the best play because he could go into mag now but i wanted to hit skarm in case he decides to preserve bisharp

Turn 7: he did go into mag like i feared and i was forced to sac something. I decided to sac rotom w because i doubted it would be of any use anymore.

Turn 8: my choices here were either empoleon or keldeo. I went into keldeo just in case he had superpower and fired off a scald which unfortunately did not grab a burn

Turn 9: managed to get a burn this time which was lucky because i needed to preserve the keldeo

Turn 10: like i said, i needed to preserve keldeo because it beats magnezone. I went into empoleon here to let scizor die from burn

Turn 11: he went into heatran so i assumed he had taunt but i went for defog anyway just in case

Turn 12: went for scald because i couldnt risk lava plume burning any of my other mons. He grabbed the burn on empoleon though unfortunately which meant that it wasn't going to last long

Turn 13-14: like i said in team preview, cloyster was the least important mon on my team so i decided to sac it as he went for earth power barely missing out on the ko but it didn't matter anyway. Went for ice shard because why not as he finished me

Turn 15: this allowed me to go into keldeo and fire off a secret sword grabbing the kill.

Turn 16: now he made an interesting play and went into magnezone either because he was sturdy or he thought i was specs. I managed to do a hell of a lot of damage to his win con putting it in range for azumarill's aqua jet.

Turn 17: he went into exca which pretty much meant free set up fodder for gyarados. He switched into skarm as i dragon danced up

Turn 18: this was basically checkmate for my opp because both of the mons that he whirlwinds me in can finish off skarm so i went straight for waterfall to get damage off as he whirl winded be to azumarill

Turn 19: banded superpower killed from this range and if he decided to roost, his flying type would be removed and superpower would become a super effective move. He roosted up most likely hoping that i did not have superpower but azu grabbed the ko and i was free to click aqua jet to win from here

Turn 20: he went into exca and i decided to sac empoleon. This gave me a free switch to azu and i basically just clicked aqua jet to win

Turn 21-23: surprisingly the exca managed to live an aqua jet but eq didn't kill anyway so chill. Magnezone was in aj range so gg

hope you guys enjoyed :)!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)