Media okay okay repost but over here so its better

so, i have this idea for a homebrew dnd character, okay? he's got a gun. 6-shooter, he's an outlaw cowboy-ish. so, i'm thinking i could have a 6-chamber chart thing and when i use the gun attack, it cycles to the next round, and i can take a bonus action to reload and i roll 6d4 to determine what ammo type it is, which changes the damage for it. the concept was made rather recently so it may change

yeah

Even better, make him a wizard but have his staff be... a rifle. Enchant his bullets with spells, or whatever it is dnd wizards do.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
communication received,

recording input,

calculating output,

transcribing output,

BLOWHARD.EXE initialized.

so, i have this idea for a homebrew dnd character, okay? he's got a gun. 6-shooter, he's an outlaw cowboy-ish. so, i'm thinking i could have a 6-chamber chart thing and when i use the gun attack, it cycles to the next round, and i can take a bonus action to reload and i roll 6d4 to determine what ammo type it is, which changes the damage for it. the concept was made rather recently so it may change

yeah
hi! tabletop rpg freelancer here. this is a time-honored concept in any game where guns and magic collide. from going a rod of wonder-ish angle to simply doing blind reloads, there really are a myriad of possibilities towards accomplishing this goal. I'm curious, though; did you want this ability tied closer to the character, or their equipment? If it's character-specific, then would you prefer it be magical in origin or simply an extraordinary blind reload? If the latter, I can see a lot of value in a magical bandolier keyed to you alone that you activate with that bonus action to randomize your ammo. Alternatively, the gun can itself be a product of chaos that you can choose to tap into whenever you reload.

Or, more simply, you can just have collected random knicknacks and reagents along your travels, converting them to bullet-ishes that you hastily shove in your pepperbox without a thought for what you shoot 'til you shoot it.

Speaking as the writer and developer of the SiIvagunner-approved Wood Man Class, I'm happy to throw something quick together to bring your idea to life, whether you were thinking a class archetype or a specific item or two.

Even better, make him a wizard but have his staff be... a rifle. Enchant his bullets with spells, or whatever it is dnd wizards do.
this is an even more prevalent concept! off the top of my head, in Pathfinder Second Edition there is the Spellshot gunslinger class path that blends gunplay with rudimentary arcane magic. In First Edition, the Spellslinger wizard is an easy realization of this concept. In these games and many others with firearms present, there are multiple specific ammunition options, from exploding rounds to the classic Named Bullet, capable of instantly slaying the target with its name inscribed upon the casing. A slew of spells that upgrade more mundane weaponry also generally function identically with those of black powder.

e: hadno idea this was in cong lol. sry if it's bad conduct in here or something. i just saw the tag and assumed LMAO

Last edited:
communication received,

recording input,

calculating output,

transcribing output,

BLOWHARD.EXE initialized.

hi! tabletop rpg freelancer here. this is a time-honored concept in any game where guns and magic collide. from going a rod of wonder-ish angle to simply doing blind reloads, there really are a myriad of possibilities towards accomplishing this goal. I'm curious, though; did you want this ability tied closer to the character, or their equipment? If it's character-specific, then would you prefer it be magical in origin or simply an extraordinary blind reload? If the latter, I can see a lot of value in a magical bandolier keyed to you alone that you activate with that bonus action to randomize your ammo. Alternatively, the gun can itself be a product of chaos that you can choose to tap into whenever you reload.

Or, more simply, you can just have collected random knicknacks and reagents along your travels, converting them to bullet-ishes that you hastily shove in your pepperbox without a thought for what you shoot 'til you shoot it.

Speaking as the writer and developer of the SiIvagunner-approved Wood Man Class, I'm happy to throw something quick together to bring your idea to life, whether you were thinking a class archetype or a specific item or two.

this is an even more prevalent concept! off the top of my head, in Pathfinder Second Edition there is the Spellshot gunslinger class path that blends gunplay with rudimentary arcane magic. In First Edition, the Spellslinger wizard is an easy realization of this concept. In these games and many others with firearms present, there are multiple specific ammunition options, from exploding rounds to the classic Named Bullet, capable of instantly slaying the target with its name inscribed upon the casing. A slew of spells that upgrade more mundane weaponry also generally function identically with those of black powder.

e: hadno idea this was in cong lol. sry if it's bad conduct in here or something. i just saw the tag and assumed LMAO
i'd have to say its more focused on the equipment, i think a magical bandolier that randomizes ammo would be cool! maybe the character could steal the little crystals ontop of staffs (staves? staffs? idk) and use like a knife to carve them into bullets, then they could put them in cases as bullets? i think that'd be cool

or maybe, how about this,, they buy ammo from like a shop, then they have a wizard in the party or something imbue the ammo with magic? that'd be extra cool but i think i like the idea of stealing crystals ontop of staffs (again, staves? staffs?) and carving them into bullets more

maybe the ammo could be focused on the character as you mentioned, and in that case, i'd maybe make it an extraordinary blind reload that he learned from a higher-up outlaw? that'd be awesome

OH OH OH WHAT IF what if its not an outlaw and instead its a mary-poppins style character, but their parasol is actually one of those really long revolvers with a stock in disguise? like, a revolver, with a long barrel and a stock, and put an umbrella canopy on the barrel, boom.

ive got so many ideas for this omg

i'd have to say its more focused on the equipment, i think a magical bandolier that randomizes ammo would be cool! maybe the character could steal the little crystals ontop of staffs (staves? staffs? idk) and use like a knife to carve them into bullets, then they could put them in cases as bullets? i think that'd be cool

or maybe, how about this,, they buy ammo from like a shop, then they have a wizard in the party or something imbue the ammo with magic? that'd be extra cool but i think i like the idea of stealing crystals ontop of staffs (again, staves? staffs?) and carving them into bullets more

maybe the ammo could be focused on the character as you mentioned, and in that case, i'd maybe make it an extraordinary blind reload that he learned from a higher-up outlaw? that'd be awesome

OH OH OH WHAT IF what if its not an outlaw and instead its a mary-poppins style character, but their parasol is actually one of those really long revolvers with a stock in disguise? like, a revolver, with a long barrel and a stock, and put an umbrella canopy on the barrel, boom.

ive got so many ideas for this omg
I'm going to have the focus on Pathfinder 1e, because I have failed to get into other systems.

Any arcane caster can emulate the spellslinger wizard's ability to cast out of their gun with the Infused spell cartridges feat, though only for lower-level spells (the prerequisite feat is also quite good because it lets you deal force damage and not worry about reloading)

The option for not-exactly-spellcasting fancy bullet effects with the most uses feels like it comes from the Alchemist class, using either the Explosive Missile discovery or the Grenadier archetype.

The general way of hacking magic items is through the Use Magic Device skill, with more advanced tricks available via Item Mastery Feats. The effect that feels most fitting to this concept would be Energy Mastery, but it doesn't quite get us there on its own. However, the Fighter has the option of using Item mastery feats with any magic weapon via Advanced Weapon Training.

As well, the Occultist is a personal favourite class that focuses on magic items (though the default flavour has them with a history degree compared to the D&D Artificer's engineering). Notably, it gen get both damage increases and several blast options by teching into Evocation and has an archetype that channels all of their magic through their main weapon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)