Oglemi's Photography Thread (no I'm not a copycat I swear! :x)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey everyone

So I've been into photography for quite a while now. I'm not like an avid, hobbiest photographer with like an expensive huge camera or anything. I mostly just use a cheapy digital camera. I like taking pictures because I can't draw worth shit (like seriously I'm still trying to get good at drawing stick people), and it gives me a way to express my creative side other than writing and playing video games.

My friend however, is one of those avid, hobbiest photographer people with like an expensive huge camera. So, from time to time I'll ask to borrow her camera and take pictures and shit.

Here are a bunch of photos that mostly I (like 80%) took and some of my friend's (cuz hers are better and this is supposed to be an art thread...). PS, all and any photos I use of her I have expressed consent to use them, it's not like I'm just spraying my friend's shit on the Internet I swear........

Grand Canyon

Death Valley

Painted Desert, AZ

Painted Desert, Petrified Logs

Kissing Camels, CO

Sunset on the Mackinac Bridge, MI

sunrise in Medford, WI

taken by my friend

taken by my friend

Mary's Cloth (or something along that lines) in a cathedral in France

Looking up the double-helix staircase of Chambourge

a different friend at the lake, taken by my friend

The drop on the leaf (or grass? first of the "Nature" group), the staircase, and the girl throwing her hair back are all so cool o_o

Especially the water/hair. Action shots are always so impressive. (You can have the credit, since it's your camera XD)

Your nature macros are breathtaking and I like your miscellaneous pictures, but those landscapes fall short. Most of their compositions and colors feel… well, I don't feel much. I like your sunset and the kissing camels, but even then they don't feel as great as the other stuff.
Feel free to ignore though, I seldom find stuff interesting if there isn't big contrast and intense colors

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Your nature macros are breathtaking and I like your miscellaneous pictures, but those landscapes fall short. Most of their compositions and colors feel… well, I don't feel much. I like your sunset and the kissing camels, but even then they don't feel as great as the other stuff.
Feel free to ignore though, I seldom find stuff interesting if there isn't big contrast and intense colors
Yeah the landscapes were taken with my crappy digital camera, so the colors there don't really pop as much as I would have liked. Also, liking landscapes is kind of an acquired taste, since they have to be really really beautiful in order to even come close to being as breathtaking as action/nature shots.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't have time to comment in detail now, but I love nature photography and you got some really good ones in there man

I personally love all of the nature and the landscape ones. The quality and the skill to get the pictures just right are awesome. Great job man; I hope to see you continuing this!

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
That double helix staircase is really interesting. I like the angle you chose.

As somebody who knows very little about photography its hard for me to spot what is technically good and bad, but they all look nice!

Awesome pics, I really love the color palette on the barn picture
but there's something about water pictures that sort of bother me… could it be the horizon line?

Sorry for continuously commenting on your photography, I'm sort of a photo junky… at least used to be a lot more

Ever been at interfacelift.com? Here's one of my favorite pictures from that website and it has water. I think its the way light jumps off the water on that pic but it doesn't jump back to your face as white light in that picture. Definitely check it out

Man, these are some really great photographs! I especially like the last landscape with the sunset, but I'm always a fan of that sort of thing. The double helix staircase is also interesting - I didn't even think to look at it like that until I saw nasty's comment :x

Keep it up!

Oglemi

Borf
Awesome pics, I really love the color palette on the barn picture
but there's something about water pictures that sort of bother me… could it be the horizon line?

Sorry for continuously commenting on your photography, I'm sort of a photo junky… at least used to be a lot more

Ever been at interfacelift.com? Here's one of my favorite pictures from that website and it has water. I think its the way light jumps off the water on that pic but it doesn't jump back to your face as white light in that picture. Definitely check it out
lol yeah the water pics were taken at really funky angles, especially the river one.

I've never been to that interfacelift site, though it looks cool. That picture is really pretty. Though idk what kind of appeture you'd use to not get any glare like they do in that pic. Still, I think having some glare can be to the benefit of the pic, especially those focusing on the sun and stuff.

Also, it's cool that you're into photography, you're probably moreso than I am. I just liking taking cool/pretty/arty pics, I'm not really into photography that much to where I could even tell you what kind of awesome camera it is that my friend has lol.

lol yeah the water pics were taken at really funky angles, especially the river one.

I've never been to that interfacelift site, though it looks cool. That picture is really pretty. Though idk what kind of appeture you'd use to not get any glare like they do in that pic. Still, I think having some glare can be to the benefit of the pic, especially those focusing on the sun and stuff.

Also, it's cool that you're into photography, you're probably moreso than I am. I just liking taking cool/pretty/arty pics, I'm not really into photography that much to where I could even tell you what kind of awesome camera it is that my friend has lol.
I used to be kind of into it when I took ap studio art back in high school senior year for some months, then the ap test came and summer came and since then I've sort of drifted away from it.
To be honest, you don't really need a fancy camera, what you need to do is take lots of pictures and be mindful of your composition. Unlike paintings or drawings where drawing skill is key, photography is mainly about what you put in the picture and how it looks on the picture… or so I've come to think

EDIT: Just found my flickr account where I uploaded the photos I sent for the ap test thing. I think its a nice selection for a beginner and I'm almost sure they're the reason I passed the test because my other two sections were pretty lame

Oh God I envy your friend's camera so much haha.

Great shots, though. You do all the "little things" right in order to make everything look great. You make the "boring" landscapes of desert seem as pretty as they really are up close.

I really dig how you aren't artificially increasing contrast or doing that really lame "drop saturation increase contrast" effect that people like doing. Nature should be kept as "natural" as possible and some people don't seem to get that!

Looking forward to more!

Did I partially inspire this thread? If so, I feel proud. Some great stuff, love the double helix and the rain drop photos.

Crux

Banned deucer.
These are super Oglemi, I particularly love the flower photos, they are seriously pretty.

I really like all the new pics
The second one, the one with that rock has weird edges, maybe try taking a pic from another angle or closer or farther away?
Other than that, they're very nice
I find the way the sky looks behind the washington monument pretty interesting
But I think my favorite is The one with people on horses and the branch in the foreground because it reminds me when there's fog and can barely see, and they you try harder to see, and you're like "oh, people in horses" and then you look closer and then you're like "wtf look at that in the distance"
Keep up the good work

Oglemi

Borf
Did I partially inspire this thread? If so, I feel proud. Some great stuff, love the double helix and the rain drop photos.
Yeah you did inspire me.... lol Thanks!

julios said:
I really like all the new pics
The second one, the one with that rock has weird edges, maybe try taking a pic from another angle or closer or farther away?
I wish I could have taken a better picture of that rock, but sadly it is now close to 2,000 miles away :(

Thanks for the comments guys! :D

Will add more pics later.

EDIT: A couple of sunset pics, both were taken from the van while in New Mexico

fuckin powerlines

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)