Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many move on to the final in Orlando anyways?
It depends on how many qualifiers are held. We're going to have to wait until the official announcement to really be sure...

I wonder how the recent stops in Japan did. It's only Round 1 so far, but I'd like to know where I could find more information on the winners. The official website only lists the names of the winners, to my knowledge.

Long time lurker in this thread, but first post. :p

Anyway Haku, the questions were general Pokemon questions such as what a certain item does, what move is super effective on this pokemon, etc. You also had a time limit based on your age group, I think the senior division had like 20 minutes or so to do the test. It had 25 questions I think, and you had to get a certain amount right to get in to the random drawing. I got into the drawing, but I was never notified that I made it.

Long time lurker in this thread, but first post. :p

Anyway Haku, the questions were general Pokemon questions such as what a certain item does, what move is super effective on this pokemon, etc. You also had a time limit based on your age group, I think the senior division had like 20 minutes or so to do the test. It had 25 questions I think, and you had to get a certain amount right to get in to the random drawing. I got into the drawing, but I was never notified that I made it.
Yeah, I know the seniors were timed. I'm pretty sure that the juniors weren't timed. Also, for the JAA test (I took) all I had to do was determine the types of Pokémon from a PokeDex kind of thing.

It depends on how many qualifiers are held. We're going to have to wait until the official announcement to really be sure...

I wonder how the recent stops in Japan did. It's only Round 1 so far, but I'd like to know where I could find more information on the winners. The official website only lists the names of the winners, to my knowledge.
Japan has done quite a bit of stops, at least 20 IIRC; possibly a few more. This is just the first round mind you, so the stops will decrease as the tournament goes on. Still, the amount of players that will be from Japan that go to nationals will be more than the 16 that went to last year's competition, so it only makes sense that there will be more from the US going to this year's nationals, held in San Diego.

I know I asked this before, but what are the basic rules for this besides these (trying to plan out team)

Double Battle
Level 50
Item Clause
Certain Pokemon banned (front page)/ no Judgement

There's also some minor rules. Pokemon can't have explicit nicknames, nicknames of glitches/glitched Pokemon, or nickname of another Pokemon species.

Japan has done quite a bit of stops, at least 20 IIRC; possibly a few more. This is just the first round mind you, so the stops will decrease as the tournament goes on. Still, the amount of players that will be from Japan that go to nationals will be more than the 16 that went to last year's competition, so it only makes sense that there will be more from the US going to this year's nationals, held in San Diego.
There's a stop in every prefecture, so there are 40+ contenders that get to go into the final round. And then there's a second round, which is sort of a second chance, which micuat said he was going to attend sometime in March/April.

Just wondering PBB... how do you know so much about San Diego and all this? Did they give you some inside info at Orlando?

Just wondering PBB... how do you know so much about San Diego and all this? Did they give you some inside info at Orlando?
Well Micuat posted back about there being 47 tourneys and a 2nd chance tourny. There will be a second round and I'm guessing anyone who wins the second round will get in for San Diego. Not sure what placings will get in for the tourny in JPN.

when i sign up to take the test can where do i go or can i just take it on the computer? also is it on the same day?

when i sign up to take the test can where do i go or can i just take it on the computer? also is it on the same day?
Basically, this is how it worked last year:

1. You signed up for a My Pokemon account.

2. They announce the online testing period, which is around 2 weeks or so.

3. You take the test online. Which version of the test you take depends on your age group, which is divided into junior and senior (13+) divisions.

4. They announce the closing of the test, hold a drawing, and email the raffle winners. These winners get a reserved spot at one of the qualifiers.

5. If you didn't win, you can still go at the day of qualifiers and participate in another raffle (in person) to see if you get in. Chances were pretty good last year at New York, but I don't know how it was at LA (from what I read it was packed).

Basically, this is how it worked last year:

1. You signed up for a My Pokemon account.

2. They announce the online testing period, which is around 2 weeks or so.

3. You take the test online. Which version of the test you take depends on your age group, which is divided into junior and senior (13+) divisions.

4. They announce the closing of the test, hold a drawing, and email the raffle winners. These winners get a reserved spot at one of the qualifiers.

5. If you didn't win, you can still go at the day of qualifiers and participate in another raffle (in person) to see if you get in. Chances were pretty good last year at New York, but I don't know how it was at LA (from what I read it was packed).
Yeah, LA was horrible. only about 20 of the 80 people there could have gotten a spot. i unfortunately didnt :(

I forgot to post the results of last week's touney,

24th Jan
Tokyo (B1)
1st Ikemen Metagross/Cresselia/Gyarados/Snorlax
2nd Shal Metagross/Cresselia/Zapdos/Snorlax

Gifu
1st Zapdos/Mamoswine/Gyarados/Snorlax
2nd Gyarados/Glaceon/Garchomp/Abomasnow

25th
Tokyo (B2)
1st Nayuki Arcanine/Latios/Metagross/Snorlax
2nd Kent Lapras/Ludicolo/Swampert/Bronzong

The finals and semifinals of Tokyo (B2) has tied and decided by Janken(Rock-Paper-Scissors)
I've heard that the winner has used Snorlax's Selfdestruct when he has only one pokemon and the foe has two, at the semifinals. So lucky.

Awesome, thanks micuat! Do you watch the matches on the Platinum Battle Record?

This concludes round one I believe as well.

Nope, there is one more tournament; it happened January 31(yesterday); I think that was the last one. but either way, yeah, the first round is pretty much over.

well so far my team has been coming together so far i have

Latios/Cresselia/Zapdos/Dusknoir/Bronzong
Gyrados/Salamence
Snorlax
Metagorss

if your pokemon uses protect on the turn your opponent uses imprision does it still stop you from using protect again or are you protected from the imprision. and does imprision effect both opponents or only targets one ?

if your pokemon uses protect on the turn your opponent uses imprision does it still stop you from using protect again or are you protected from the imprision. and does imprision effect both opponents or only targets one ?
I'm pretty sure (If not positive) that Imprison goes through Protect, but I could be wrong. I'm 100% positive that Imprison hits both Pokémon, it may say that it "Failed," for one of the Pokémon, but that is only when the Pokémon doesn't have moves that can be Imprisoned.

Edit: I checked Bulbapedia and to make sure I was correct, and I was, it can hit both Pokémon it and it does goes through Protect.
SOURCE: Bulbapedia (Imprison)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)