Official NBA 2012-13 Season Thread

how the hell do you let Chalmers score 34
By letting him make 10 3 point shots, kind of a rare night.

Btw, Cousins is tearing it up lately. If he could control his emotions, I could see him making the top 3 power forwards in 1-2 years. I'm glad Seattle is going to get a decent superstar when Kings move to their city. As an OKCer, the ghosts of Supersonics are still with us... I still feel bad for Seattle.

Probably from second to fifth best in the East (the Celtics can still kind of argue for a 2nd/3rd playoff performance.. and I'm also accounting for the Pacers in there).
Who do you have as fourth best? Brooklyn?

As for the Lakers, maybe they should watch tapes of Grizz on how to gel Howard and Pau. The chemistry on the court of Zach and Marc is something...
Supposedly D'Antoni is finally ceding to the fact that Pau needs to play in the post so we might see a return to form for Gasol, who IMO hasn't been used correctly since he was being coached under Phil Jackson. We'll see. Lakers have to win at least 70% of their remaining games to make the post season. I still think they can do it if they get Pau & Dwight back SOON.

how the hell do you let Chalmers score 34
I'm already hearing people say Chalmers is as good as Westbrook & Rose.

By letting him make 10 3 point shots, kind of a rare night.

Btw, Cousins is tearing it up lately. If he could control his emotions, I could see him making the top 3 power forwards in 1-2 years. I'm glad Seattle is going to get a decent superstar when Kings move to their city. As an OKCer, the ghosts of Supersonics are still with us... I still feel bad for Seattle.
Cousins is a center. He has a lot of talent but will probably be like Rasheed Wallace and never really reach his potential. Rasheed could have been better than Tim Duncan. IMO he's going to waste in Sacramento... He needs a veteran to guide him. Wish he got traded to a team that would get him in shape.

Nah, the King's were just that bad defensively in the beginning. =p

Who do you have as fourth best? Brooklyn?
With that frontline? I honestly consider them the least trustworthy in terms of comparing them to the eastern conference's elite.

Currently, I see it like this:

Heat, Bulls (healthy rose), Indiana (healthy Granger), and Celtics (if they have a healthy roster) are pretty much up for whoever.

Then you have the Hawks/Knicks/Nets tier.

I would not take anyone in the upper-level tier below the bottom at this point. The Knicks.... I mean, they *could* get a second seed. They could go to the ECF if their half of the bracket is weak sauce, but I can't see them beating grind-it-out teams.

Shit I forgot about the Bulls. And Rose is supposed to be near his return, if what I've been reading is right. Agree with your top four, unless the Celtics break down. There are rumors that they're trying to trade Paul Pierce for Rudy Gay which give them a boost if it happens.

Nah, the King's were just that bad defensively in the beginning. =p

With that frontline? I honestly consider them the least trustworthy in terms of comparing them to the eastern conference's elite.

Currently, I see it like this:

Heat, Bulls (healthy rose), Indiana (healthy Granger), and Celtics (if they have a healthy roster) are pretty much up for whoever.

Then you have the Hawks/Knicks/Nets tier.

I would not take anyone in the upper-level tier below the bottom at this point. The Knicks.... I mean, they *could* get a second seed. They could go to the ECF if their half of the bracket is weak sauce, but I can't see them beating grind-it-out teams.
You gave up on Kincks so easily. They aren't what they are now. That said, I think Knicks still has hopes in playoffs vs your "grind it out" teams. "Grind it out" teams like Pacers, Bulls and Celtics have one thing in common: really bad offenses. That and mix that with the "potential" of Knicks defense, I think they'll still come out on top of those teams in playoffs. But, I also believe they need to adjust some things (lower Amare's minutes to 15mpg and Smith's minutes, bench Novak) and they also need some guys to be healthy.

I view the East as follows:
First tier - Heat
2nd tier - Knicks, Pacers, Bulls
3rd tier - Celtics, Nets
4th tier - Hawks

Anybody else is a filler. Still a crappy conference.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shit I forgot about the Bulls. And Rose is supposed to be near his return, if what I've been reading is right. Agree with your top four, unless the Celtics break down. There are rumors that they're trying to trade Paul Pierce for Rudy Gay which give them a boost if it happens.
There's no way in hell Paul Pierce is retiring as anything other than a Celtic

Also agreeing with DRose's rankings, assuming everyone is healthy and no bs hax, but i would make it a pyramid of tiers instead of a straight line:

Heat
Bulls Celtics Pacers
Knicks Hawks Nets
Bucks
everyone else

With teams on the same level being essentially a coin flip, and teams below other teams needing some kind of serious revival to beat the team above in a 7 game series.

There only seems to be a large disagreement on the Knicks which is understandable considering they're an unproven wildcard. You could say the same thing about the Nets but...

.... Come on.

Not with that frontline.

Well, it was the Cavs but I'll take it. Lakers actually played well as a team, improved defensively, & won in a blowout performance. Dwight looked great too. I've still got some hope they can pull through.

The reason I put Celtics on 3rd tier is that they still have problems rebounding the ball. Old Garnett just won't cut it.

There only seems to be a large disagreement on the Knicks which is understandable considering they're an unproven wildcard. You could say the same thing about the Nets but...

.... Come on.

Not with that frontline.
Nobody on Heat can guard Lopez. They can also play small ball with Wallace at 4..
Minnesota Timberwolves proving: whitey just cannot ball
Nah, Love and Rubio plus a bunch of whitey can still play ball

Sup guys. Lakers ain't looking too good right now but they can still go on a run. D'antoni said "the season starts sunday" lol, and after dominating the cavs let's see if he's right.

Jared Sullinger is working on it!
Celtics aren't known to trust rookies. And big men usually takes 2-3 years to fully reach their potential. Sull still fouls too much (3.3 fouls per game in 19 minutes a game), only second to Zeller among rooks.

Sup guys. Lakers ain't looking too good right now but they can still go on a run. D'antoni said "the season starts sunday" lol, and after dominating the cavs let's see if he's right.
Only lakers fans will believe this...

Celtics aren't known to trust rookies. And big men usually takes 2-3 years to fully reach their potential. Sull still fouls too much (3.3 fouls per game in 19 minutes a game), only second to Zeller among rooks.
They sure put a lot of trust in Avery Bradley last year and this year. Sullinger too. The Celtics are only going to get better now. They're still better than the Knicks and the Nets.

Only lakers fans will believe this...
The 8th & 7th seeds aren't that far away from the Lakers, & with Minnesota imploding, the Jazz getting sloppy lately, & the Trailblazers having a worse bench and starting five than the Lakers it's not unreasonable that the Lakers do make a run and enter the playoffs. The Lakers' biggest problem has been their defense and it looks like they've finally acknowledged that are working in unison to help that. Earl Clark can probably play an Odom-esque role in acting as a bridge between Dwight and Pau. With some luck the Mavs might be able to make the playoffs too.

They sure put a lot of trust in Avery Bradley last year and this year. Sullinger too. The Celtics are only going to get better now.
I'm pretty sure that Bradley is in his 3rd year now. He's not a rookie last year.

The 8th & 7th seeds aren't that far away from the Lakers, & with Minnesota imploding, the Jazz getting sloppy lately, & the Trailblazers having a worse bench and starting five than the Lakers it's not unreasonable that the Lakers do make a run and enter the playoffs. The Lakers' biggest problem has been their defense and it looks like they've finally acknowledged that are working in unison to help that. Earl Clark can probably play an Odom-esque role in acting as a bridge between Dwight and Pau. With some luck the Mavs might be able to make the playoffs too.
Don't see it. If a coach is asking his 34-year old guard to spearhead their defense who also happens to be the one spearheading their offense, I call it trolling. Odom and Clark are on different level (actually, very far). Pau is not interested. Dwight is still hurting. Nash is enjoying LA life. Bench sucks. No, just lose hope.

The Blazers do not have a worse bench than the Lakers wtf dude

Nobody on Heat can guard Lopez. They can also play small ball with Wallace at 4..
Of course. Care about the offense more than the defense. This is your first mistake.

Also, I'm starting to think that the Grizzlies in 2010... was a fluke year.

Randolph had a crazy, CRAZY playoff run. Like, really crazy.

But he's yet to return to the efficiency he had that year. At all.

My finals hopes for this team last year was dependent on Randolph emulating that performance and Rudy Gay making them bigger and more of an inside-out team.

Now I've come to realize that he probably won't be as good as he was that year, Rudy Gay has pounding inside about as much as I did with a woman last year, and their three-point shooting is still ass, they're probably still an upper-level ish western team.

Of course. Care about the offense more than the defense. This is your first mistake.
Defense is still my no. 1 option, but the only way to beat the Heat is to have an offensive big man. The Pacers nearly did it last year with Hibbert, it's just they entirely forgot about the big guy and ran every play on Granger, which won't cut it.

The Grizzlies is about 3 players: Zach, Gay and Gasol. I still loathe Gay, he's just an inefficient mini-Durant. I wish he gets traded for the sake of having the best dark horse team in recent memories. Zach's numbers are admittedly on decline, but his FG% remains efficient throughout. But Gasol is having a year; I think he'll be the key for them this year. That froncourt is still something...

Don't see it. If a coach is asking his 34-year old guard to spearhead their defense who also happens to be the one spearheading their offense, I call it trolling. Odom and Clark are on different level (actually, very far). Pau is not interested. Dwight is still hurting. Nash is enjoying LA life. Bench sucks. No, just lose hope.
You think the Wolves, with their lackluster defense and offense and without Love for the foreseeable future are going to pull ahead of the Lakers?

The Blazers do not have a worse bench than the Lakers wtf dude

Umm, yes they do. Have you watched them play?

EDIT: Just saw the statline for Miami. Wow, Chris Bosh has sucked at rebounding lately. And what was up with Wade to make Spoelstra bench him the entire fourth quarter?

You think the Wolves, with their lackluster defense and offense and without Love for the foreseeable future are going to pull ahead of the Lakers?
They still have to contend with Utah and Portland, which I think have better chances than LAL. Heck, even the Wolves has better chance; they still have enough time to make a run when Love returns (1 month at worst). And gotta agree with DR, Portland has better bench than LA (not good, but better than LA's). They might be unknown to you, but the Portland bench are young and energizers. I'll take Nolan-Babitt-Meyers-Jeffries than Jamison-Clark-Duhon-Meeks-Sacre anytime. The loss of Hill really hurts for the Lakers...

Are you high

the best player off the blazer bench is meyers leonard

There's a reason lillard/aldridge/matthews/batum have some of the most minutes per game in the league
Who's the best for the Lakers?

Defense is still my no. 1 option, but the only way to beat the Heat is to have an offensive big man. The Pacers nearly did it last year with Hibbert, it's just they entirely forgot about the big guy and ran every play on Granger, which won't cut it.
The Pacers at least had a shotblocker and rebounder who could crash on the boards.

Lopez just scores. There is NO way the Nets beat the Heat in a series without shot-blocking and length. Their frontline defense is far too atrocious. The only recipe proven to beat LeBron is length and rebounding. Lopez contains neither. You gotta guard the Heat to beat the Heat.

Dubulous, what the fuck? How did they violate state law ?_?

I also still never understood why Popovich was fined, either. What a fucking joke. He wants to rest his players, why would he have to inform his fucking opponent about it and the league? He is making a team decision that he thought would benefit the team (which it did since they beat the Grizzlies in their next game). As much as the fans are important, he has full right of resting players to help his team. Fuck David Stern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)