(1) Dallas Mavericks
(2) Oklahoma City Thunder
(3) Los Angeles Lakers
(4) San Antonio Spurs
(5) Los Angeles Clippers
(6) Memphis Grizzlies
(7) Portland Trailblazers
(8) Houston Rockets

The West has definitely gotten weaker due to superstars migrating to the East. Let's not forget that some teams have apparently taken steps backward in terms of free agency. Dallas lost a major athletic defensive force, the Spurs still don't have a big to help Duncan on the front-line, and the Lakers got rid of their only decent offensive bench player. As far as I'm concerned, the only team to conceivably get way better than before is... Chris Paul's.

It's likely Dallas is going to remain the regular season champion. I feel they require less in this department mostly because they were the most active in free agency compared to the other powerhouses, so they can still manage last year's consistency at least (playoffs are a different story). After that, who knows how far Lakers can get even if they trade for Dwight. They still lack good outside shooters. Mike Brown is also the coach's curse.

The Clippers have the widest range, but I can't see them being top four just yet. Call me a skeptic. Three guys just got their knees fucked up years prior and the team in my opinion isn't comparable to the 07-08 Hornets. Maybe next year. Their ceiling is 3, but I'm going to aim them at the middle.

Denver's in a tough situation with almost half of their relevant guys overseas. They can of course sneak in the 7-8 area, but let's see what Houston's cooking with Dalembert.

Eastern Conference 2011-2012 Standings:

(1) Miami Heat
(2) Chicago Bulls
(3) Boston Celtics
(4) New York Knicks
(5) Orlando Magic
(6) Atlanta Hawks
(7) Indiana Pacers
(8) Milwaukee Bucks

The only thing I can be certain about are the division champs with a slight debate between Boston/New York. That all depends on how horrible Boston's collapse will be in Spring. I have no doubt in my mind that Boston will have a hot start as usual; but once those old legs get tired, however far ahead they are of New York will depend on whether they get the 3/4 champion seed or not. Besides, Boston has done nothing this free agency and they've lost plenty of depth behind the big three. I wouldn't be surprised how far they honestly fall from grace this time around even with a 66-game season. No center and lost depth from last year is a good recipe for stepping down.

Miami I feel maintained their core the best and improved in some areas. I guess I could see them getting worse, but for what they accomplished in their first year... I think they'll at least maintain the division title. Chicago could get it too, but I don't think Rip Hamilton is enough to secure that 1 seed again.

Meanwhile, Magic/Atlanta slowly dip into mediocrity. If Howard is traded, they'll fall even worse (or even straight out of the playoffs). The Magic didn't really do all too much but sign more shooters and traded for.. Big Baby. Expect more of the same. Atlanta lost Crawford but gained T-Mac. I have nothing to say to that one. The seeding says it all.

After that.. uh, I guess the only two improved teams in the East remain. Bucks get Bogut back (the last time they had a healthy Bogut, they were a threat to be the fifth seed) and the Pacers who already made the playoffs last year get David West in addition to competent guards. 76ers get a steal? Who knows, but that's the only possibility I see. The Nets aren't exactly in a position to dominate, either. Lopez just broke his foot and Okur is no game changer. Any other team is really stretching it.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
mavericks got slapped but both teams looked sloppy earlier in the game but that's prolly cause of the long hiatus. heat was way more prepared though.. so i hope this is a wake up call for mavericks.

I like our rookie Norris Cole he played well.
This is the Heat's season I hope.

Dallas should've kept JJ Barea he was an exceptional player for them last season.

bs lakers lost on christmas AGAIN but oh well they definitely put up a better fight than most expected them to.

thoughts:
-stop giving fisher minutes and let morris play or something. fisher's fastbreak layup attempt towards the middle of the 3rd quarter was one of the saddest things i've ever seen.
-world peace should stop moving with the ball. stick to open threes and posting up against mismatches
-kobe's injury didnt seem to affect him much shooting wise. his turnovers on the other hand were ridiculously high.
-i dont like how they used gasol as a tall spot up shooter for most of the game. do more plays for him near the basket.
-steve blake looked much better out there, and less hesitant to shoot.
-the new additions: goudelock, mcrob, murphy all made solid contributions. mcrob and murphy aren't that good on D but they rebound well enough and mcrob is very athletic. if goudelock replicates 07-08 vujacic's performance, he'll be a very solid pick up.
-loving the lakers' D courtesy of mike brown, although it was only apparent in the second half. when bynum comes back the lakers should be elite on the defensive end.

all in all a disappointing loss but i'm definitely more optimistic about the lakers than before the season started.

is anyone really putting any stock into games played today...? give teams a couple weeks to gel before passing judgement. only teams that made little to few changes (heat, thunder) have any chance of playing with any fluidity right now.

All I'm saying is that even for a first game with a new team, there's no way you go down 30+ points on ring day without there being some kind of problem. I've watched plenty of openers, and that was by far the worst thing I've ever witnessed in my entire life from a reigning champion.

Western Conference 2011-2012 Standings:

1. Oklahoma City Thunder
2. Dallas Mavericks
3. Memphis Grizzlies
4. San Antonio Spurs
5. Los Angeles Lakers
6. Golden State Warriors
7. Los Angeles Clippers
8. Portland Trailblazers

Too much young talent in that Oklahoma City team and too many old players and losses of key role players for the Mavericks. The Lakers will fade a lot after all the fiasco that occured in this offseason, while the Clippers will be solid but net a low seed due to being relatively poorly run and having lots of star talent that has yet to gel together until late in the season. The Golden State Warriors with their extremely solid core and new coach will surge to a mid-level seed. The Grizzlies, coming off an excellent playoffs where they eliminated the #1 seed in the Spurs, will excel with Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay, and Marc Gasol running the floor.

1. Miami Heat
2. Chicago Bulls
3. New York Knicks
4. Boston Celtics
5. Indiana Pacers
6. Philadelphia 76ers
7. Orlando Magic
8. Milwaukee Bucks

The Eastern conference is fairly obvious and there's not much to question here. The Magic will falter as they are only being held up by an uninspired Dwight Howard. The Celtics will lose enough due to their old age and need to rest starters and receive a mid seed while the Knicks capitalize with sheer talent and a great new addition in Tyson Chandler. The rising Pacers will already work well with their solid core from last season, but also have David West to add to the mix.

all i'm saying is that, while technically the season has started, these first couple weeks are basically an extended preseason

Western Conference 2011-2012 Standings:

1. Oklahoma City Thunder
2. Dallas Mavericks
3. Memphis Grizzlies
4. San Antonio Spurs
5. Los Angeles Lakers
6. Golden State Warriors
7. Los Angeles Clippers
8. Portland Trailblazers

Too much young talent in that Oklahoma City team and too many old players and losses of key role players for the Mavericks. The Lakers will fade a lot after all the fiasco that occured in this offseason, while the Clippers will be solid but net a low seed due to being relatively poorly run and having lots of star talent that has yet to gel together until late in the season. The Golden State Warriors with their extremely solid core and new coach will surge to a mid-level seed. The Grizzlies, coming off an excellent playoffs where they eliminated the #1 seed in the Spurs, will excel with Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay, and Marc Gasol running the floor.

1. Miami Heat
2. Chicago Bulls
3. New York Knicks
4. Boston Celtics
5. Indiana Pacers
6. Philadelphia 76ers
7. Orlando Magic
8. Milwaukee Bucks

The Eastern conference is fairly obvious and there's not much to question here. The Magic will falter as they are only being held up by an uninspired Dwight Howard. The Celtics will lose enough due to their old age and need to rest starters and receive a mid seed while the Knicks capitalize with sheer talent and a great new addition in Tyson Chandler. The rising Pacers will already work well with their solid core from last season, but also have David West to add to the mix.
Great stuff.

all i'm saying is that, while technically the season has started, these first couple weeks are basically an extended preseason
Didn't the Mavs look fine in their pre-season games?

I mean, look at all the teams playing today. Who can honestly say they were down over 30+ and defending champs? Who can even say that in the last 10 years?

I think I recall the Bulls beating the living shit out of the Heat one year. (i think i saw a fact on the game at least)

Why not take the games seriously? Being down by 31 points in the season opener at home sure means a lot, like how we have no dedicated defenders. Letting Stevenson go and signing Vince Carter is terrible management. We also should have amnestied Haywood and signed anyone else we could for $10 million to a 1 year / options deal. We only got to 105-85 by the time the Heat pulled their starters, though at least we made up some ground against the starters first 9 minutes of the 4th.

Clippers late game was super impressive. Chauncey Billups is a terrible two point shooter at this point in his career though and could really be more negative than positive for the team all season...

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
My favorite four teams winning on Christmas is a pretty awesome gift. I'm still sad over the Grizzlies loss on the 21st.
Though I got really anxious at the Heat vs Mavericks game yesterday in the 4th quarter when there was, like, 3 minutes left. We were still winning, yeah, but we couldn't rack up some more points, while the Mavs were just shooting and scoring. I guess it didn't matter anymore though.

I also hope Mike Miller's injuries don't worsen. Really want him to get that courage again to shoot up some 3 pointers.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
if there's one thing to point out in last night's game, chris paul looks just as explosive as he was, so i'm glad to see that he's finally back. a healthy chris paul running the show will probably make clippers somewhat legit now. and on another note, they need to give deandre jordan free throw lessons because his percentage on that line is just ridiculous. that "hack-a-jordan" strategy will eat them up through this entire season.

The thing is with the 2 preseason games with the Thunder, the Thunder were also treating it like preseason. The Heat were treating this game as if it would redeem them for losing the Finals, while the Mavs were using this game just to see what they have. Carlisle was experimenting with lineups the whole game. If they were actually trying to win, why would Carlisle play Brandan Wright for 11 minutes as well as Brian Cardinal for 14? He would have put Dirk and Kidd back in with Delonte and Terry when the score was within range with 7-8 minutes left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)