NU Discussion Thread (Mark II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Its a good check / counter I suppose, continuing from my calcs - Aqua Tail on max hp / mix def = 79.49% - 94.01%, 2.56% chance of OHKO with SR down. But as a solid counter, Rhyperior has to run max hp / max def to take 70.51% max from Aqua Tail.

Sandslash is just a spinner because it doesn't do anything else that well. And Super Fang hurts it because then it's even more screwed by the inevitable Ghost switch-in. Rapid Spin/Super Fang/EQ (presumably) and then you have to pick between Swords Dance (which you need to harm Dusclops) and a move to harm things like Drifblim.

Oh, and Fangren, the NU server doesn't exist anymore. Please use the CAP server for unrated NU battles. They'll soon implement an NU ladder.
Wait, wut?

Why sandslash needs to harm dusclops? Will O wisp will get you anyways

To me, the Sandslash set would be

Super fang
rapid spin
EQ
Night slash / Stealth rocks (I would rather SR anyways)

Hurting dusclops it's like saying Forry needs to use Payback just for Gengar, while Gyro ball does that better.

dang, forgot about aqua tail. I just saw base 140 def and resistence to head smash and jumped for it.

Although, since I'm gonna be using trick room, my rhyperior will have 252 def Evs anyway.

Its a good check / counter I suppose, continuing from my calcs - Aqua Tail on max hp / mix def = 79.49% - 94.01%, 2.56% chance of OHKO with SR down. But as a solid counter, Rhyperior has to run max hp / max def to take 70.51% max from Aqua Tail.
Not a counter since Aggron outspeeds Rhyperior, so even with max defenses, it's still a 2HKO. Iron Tail 2HKO him too, but i don't know if people will start using Iron Tail on him.
Some weird Magnet Rise Aggron can screw Rhyperior up, but no one will use Magent Rise on him, it's just stupid. Or not.

CB Aggron? How much better is Aggron than Relicanth? He has 20 more base attack, arguably a better typing, but does that push him over?

I'm not doubting it's good, just asking since I haven't seen very many people use CB Relicanth even in NU. Personally, I like the Aggron sub-punching set (although it is also not very popular at the moment) where one can replace Stone Edge with the more powerful, just as accurate Head Smash.

Not a counter since Aggron outspeeds Rhyperior, so even with max defenses, it's still a 2HKO. Iron Tail 2HKO him too, but i don't know if people will start using Iron Tail on him.
Some weird Magnet Rise Aggron can screw Rhyperior up, but no one will use Magent Rise on him, it's just stupid. Or not.
I checked all NU/UU walls and Iron Tail is good choice for securing 2OHKO'es on Hariyama, Hitmontop and Regirock (Aqua won't always 2OHKO). However Quagsire is good choice in NU against Aggron, as it takes almost everything with good effect and with Recover it's even better.

CB Aggron? How much better is Aggron than Relicanth? He has 20 more base attack, arguably a better typing, but does that push him over?

I'm not doubting it's good, just asking since I haven't seen very many people use CB Relicanth even in NU. Personally, I like the Aggron sub-punching set (although it is also not very popular at the moment) where one can replace Stone Edge with the more powerful, just as accurate Head Smash.
Those 20 points makes a huge difference. Guarranteed 2OHKO on Tangrowth, Weezing and Slowbro (even without Stealth Rock) with Head Smash and it has even 15% chance to OHKO Max/Max Milotic which is... outspeeded by 1 point, if it runs Max/Max defences. Only Torterra (and Ice Punch may fix it) and Quagsire are the best switches on it and probably the only reliable ones.

Oh yes! This should be great to help lower the level of theorymon and instead have actual metagame analysis.

Right now on my hyper-offensive team I'm trying out Magmar, who is quite fast for NU and can 2HKO almost the entire tier. It's just a shame that he's frail and Fire Blast is such a horrible move.

NU is filled with viable Fire-types. There's Monferno for imitating Leadape, Combusken could be decent, but I've honestly not tried him. Then there's Camerupt, Entei, Ninetails, Torkoal, and Magmar. Compare 7 Fire Types to the 2 in OU.

I'm honstly shocked with the number of Bug, Flying, and Fire types in Nu, that Stealth Rock is not as abundant as it is in OU, where every lead aims to set them up, or prevent it. That said, in NU, there are taunters faster than everything that uses Stealth Rock, not true in OU, because the fastest Taunter happens to be the fastest Stealth Rocker.

The Stealth Rockers in NU aren't as reliable as those in other tiers. There's nothing like Registeel or Azelf that we can use. That said, I've noticed that most teams do in fact carry Stealth Rock, probably to hit all the SR weak Pokemon here.

The Stealth Rockers in NU aren't as reliable as those in other tiers. There's nothing like Registeel or Azelf that we can use. That said, I've noticed that most teams do in fact carry Stealth Rock, probably to hit all the SR weak Pokemon here.
I personally think Stealth Rock is the most powerful move in this tier. Think about the "Good" Pokemon in this tier, and why they're here. Entei, Regice, Pinsir etc. are all weak to Stealth Rock, and that's the reason they're in this tier in the first place. I think it's needed to bring all these "too powerful for NU" Pokemon down to NU level.

Cradily, Pinsir, Gligar, and Bibarel are all extremely reliable Stealth Rock users in my experience. Things would be a whole lot easier if we had something like Quagsire with Stealth Rock, but all the aforementioned pokemon get rocks up as easily as Azelf or Registeel(just not right away in the case of Cradily) in terms of relativity.

Can someone PM me a link to the NU Forum, seeing as my old computer crashed shortly after the server closed, hence, I have no way of getting onto the NU forums now.

Sorry I don't have the time to read all of this. It has probably been mentioned before but...
I hope nobody has thought of CB Metang!

50/50 Split Attack HP Adamant

Meteor-Mash, Bullet-Punch, Earth-Quake, Explosion

Very bulky even as a Metang. I've found it has some use in the UU metagame aswell. If you can believe that.

Dodrio should use Tri-Attack. It's a great move that's pretty much an exclusive to him (Porygon obviously).

Quick Feet Ursaring is great but his speed sucks and an Ursaring already has a tremendous attack stat which is increased even more with the use of Guts. Personal thing though.

SubPunching Aggron is also good with it's great attack and even better defense. A lot of physical stuff which won't break Aggron's sub.

Entei, if used correctly, can and will wreck entire teams. However, it's rather predictable. One move is all your opponent will need to know before they figure out your entire set and, once that's figured out, isn't exactly hard to counter.

Team 1:

Lol Manectric and Luxray? I'd say drop one and put in Scarfeon or something.

Team 2:

I know this sounds stupid but Magmar > Rapidash. Leafeon should be Scarfed over Life Orb. Other than that looks good.
There's so many things wrong with this post... Rapidash > Magmar from a physical perspective. Magmar is an interesting mix user, but he wasn't very good, and now he is outclassed by Magmortar (which, granted, wasn't around when this was posted).

Quick Feet Ursaring is very destructive and much better than Guts.

Leafeon should never ever use a Scarf.

Dodrio should never use Tri-Attack.

Aggron died to any Water, Fighting, or Ground attack, but now it's in UU anyways so this is moot.

I am not happy that Raticate isn't on the offensive threat list. With Super Fang, he can wear down walls, and Thunder Wave + Hyper Fang/Headbutt is a paraflinch combo. The best is the Facade + Flame Orb for Guts Abuse, like Ursaring but higher speed in exchange for lower attack.

So now that drifblim has been banished from nu I am lacking a suitable late game sweeper. What have you guys been using so far?

Raichu's actually quite good.

I used it as one of my two sweepers that got me to about 11th on the NU ladder. With a Floatzel lead (Stops Rocks 100% of the time), and a Focus Sash on Raichu, setting up a Nasty Plot Sweep is easy, especially with Base 100 speed. Just make sure you kill off any priority users first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)