Project NU Creative / Underrated Sets

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Creative / Underrated Sets

Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the NU metagame.​

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.​
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.​
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.​
  • It is able to successfully and consistently lure intended threats.​
What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.​
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.​
  • It might be able to surprise and exploit Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.​
What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in NU, for the sake of using it in NU.​
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.​
  • Movesets that are utterly impractical or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.​
Some ground rules as well:
  • You must test your set before posting it here. Don't post something just because it "might" work, post it because it does. I'd recommend showing room tour replays or mid-to-high ladder replays over low ladder replays to prove your case.​
  • Include a readable format and description for all sets, explain what it does and why it's worth running in the metagame.​
  • Don't post joke or troll sets, this is for serious and competitive sets only (and I know what these sets are). Gimmick sets are A-OK if they are functional enough on a competitive team.​
  • Have fun!​

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Starting things off, here's a fun set i came up with

Sandapohnda (Sandaconda) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Shed Skin
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Dragon Rush
- Endure

With the lack of dragon types in the tier i was looking at mons that could make good use of dragon moves. Tera dragon further enables the coil + dragon rush combo while endure salac gives it the +1. This set can effectively lure eelektross, drifblim and other mons that normally check coil sandaconda. This sandaconda set ofc thrives on the surprise factor.

Last edited:

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Drifblim normally takes the role of a defensive Defogger. Normally, Drifblim is a bit passive and is vulnerable to Knock Off...but what if it's used on an offensive role?
:sv/Drifblim:
Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
Tera Type: Fighting / Ground
EVs: 20 Def / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball
- Tera Blast
EVs are to outspeed Scarf Zoroark after its Weakness Policy has been triggered. Tera Fighting provides coverage against Umbreon and Dudunsparce. Tera Ground can block Volt Switch from Jolteon and Rotom. Calm Mind against passive Pokemon like Muk or Umbreon, and Terastalize! This set lures Passimian and Mabosstiff in looking for an easy pivot or Stakeout boost.

F Eelektross (Rotom-Frost) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Tera Blast

• Can beat Florges
  • Can beat Muk
  • isn't revenge killed by Passimian
  • No Copperajah = No other switch ins than Chansey
I tried it on a sticky web team (because Rotom regular let Lurantis Defog to easily), it worked great

Tauros-Paldea-Combat @ Mirror Herb
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swagger
- Close Combat
- Trailblaze
- Earthquake

Absolute heat, so much so in fact, I've been using variants of this exact set in almost every tier. Different mons, different sets. One things stays the same. Swagger + Mirror Herb. Very underrated, and I suggest you try it yourself.

Glaceon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Freeze-Dry
- Wish
- Protect

Glaceon = underrated mon.
With STAB Freeze Dry and Calm Mind, and almost no Steel/Fire type in the tier it's a really cool mon, even if depends a bit on tera tho. With that speed you can outspeed Sandaconda and Drifblim (you can maybe run less speed, I just run 200 speed on my Drifblims so I made it 201). It's great bulk is enough to take a Close Combat from Passimian or Earthquake from +1 Sandaconda. Tera Poison allows you to beat Muk and resist fighting types. It struggle a bit against Eelektross or Chansey but it works well otherwise.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet Braviary | Locations, Moves, Stats

Braviary @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 72 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Mild Nature
- Defog
- Close Combat / Roost
- Hurricane
- Brave Bird

This Braviary set gives a surprise factor and offers hazard control with an improved matchup most noteabley on Sandaconda and Qwilfish. Thanks to Hurricane, you now can bypass Rocky Helmet, Poison Point and can switch in on Will-O-Wisps especially from Drifblim and fire back with Hurricane for a 2HKO avoiding aftermath too.

Its main competition is Defog Oricorio but since Braviary functions as a mixed attacker, it has a niche since Oricorio struggles to pressure things like Dudunsparce, Muk and Umbreon.

252+ SpA Sheer Force Braviary Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Drifblim: 247-292 (49 - 57.9%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Braviary Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sandaconda: 204-241 (58.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Braviary Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Qwilfish: 246-289 (73.6 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Braviary Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Spiritomb: 144-169 (47.3 - 55.5%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
72 Atk Braviary Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Muk: 207-244 (50 - 58.9%) -- 75.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
72 Atk Braviary Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 202-238 (51.2 - 60.4%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Zoroark @ Flame Orb
Ability: Illusion
Tera Type: Dark
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Trick

I run this with Ursaring, winning a few matches on the lower ladder (new to NU). There are a lot of physical attackers ranked highly in the tier, so tricking the flame orb and baiting a physical wall you can hit with a strong dark pulse or sludge bomb prove to be quite versatile.

I'm not sure how to include the pictures like everyone else

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
:sv/froslass:
Froslass @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
Tera Type: Ice
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Spikes

Cool set, different from Glaceon through movepool and Speed alone---you have actual utility beyond just hitting stuff hard as a revenge killer and Spikes setter. Tera Ice just makes Ice Beam more spammable, but defensive options are fine too.

:sv/braviary:
Braviary @ Power Herb
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Flying
Adamant Nature
- Sky Attack
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Agility

Not my set but posting it here for posterity. Offensive Braviary is quite good at taking advantage of NU's lack of good Flying-type checks. With Tera Flying, you OHKO Sandaconda with +1 Sky Attack, and if you can manage a Speed boost in addition to that? It's Joever. Surprisingly good set and fits on balance and hyper offense alike.

:sv/raichu-alola:
Raichu-Alola @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Surge Surfer
Tera Type: Grass
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Encore

Fun utility set that's worked well in practice. Encore is a strong move in this tier because of all the bulky setup Pokemon, and the coverage is enough to get neutral damage on basically everything. I'm sure there's a better Tera type and maybe a better last moveslot, but I don't care enough to optimize :)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Really enjoyed this meta aside from Mesprit. Pretty bummed it's all different with the drops and my last game in it did not go my way, but that's alright. Some sets from before the metagame got overturned by the drops...

:Articuno:
Articuno @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 232 HP / 4 Atk / 136 SpD / 136 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost
- U-turn

Clutch to 2HKO Cryogonal so that things like Lurantis, Rotom, Appletun, etc. can feast on opposing teams; the interaction between Cryogonal-Articuno happened a ton in this metagame, so it was pretty practical. It also forces recovery on Blissey and can force Substitute breaking vs CM Mesprit if it is not Tera Steel. Tera type was Dark on this one team, but it can be the normal Steel or even Electric depending upon the team.

Losing to a Hurricane miss makes me sting for not using this in my last game, but it was more suited for other teams.

:Qwilfish:
Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Liquidation
- Barb Barrage
- Tera Blast

Awkward interaction with Toxicroak where it can set-up vs you, but you instinctually want to try to check it with RH + Intimidate + resistances. You need to time this carefully as you lose the resistance, but you can cheese a nice KO if you do. Also helps with Sneasel-H offensively, Bruxish defensively, and some others.

:Sandaconda:
Sandaconda @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shed Skin
Tera Type: Dragon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Outrage
- Rest

Lowkey cleans a ton of balance late in games. Very hard to fit as you like to rely on it for other things, but if you can, it was worth trying. Not many Fairy types in the old metagame and the few Steel types did not match-up well with EQ, for example. Outrage later on with Tera Dragon becomes an absolute monster. Also, surprise RKing things can be nice, but some people seem to be cognizant of this on ladder.

:Appletun:
Appletun @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Thick Fat
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 160 HP / 244 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Body Press
- Recover
- Dragon Tail

Cool set on spikes teams. Feel like we see so much of the Leech Seed utility sets, but Appletun can sweep and is worth trying out in a lot of different capacities. This was one of my favorites. Can also go with a more SDef spread.

:Articuno:
Articuno @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost
- Substitute

Seen it a few times on ladder, but SubRoost Articuno can be the devil with status spread throughout the team. You definitely lose some defensive presence, but it is well worthwhile in the right matchup.

:Cacturne:
Cacturne
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Spikes
- Leaf Storm
- Dark Pulse
- Thief

Never got to test this one out, but thought it was cute and Thief is underappreciated. Cool to nab a boots from an Articuno or Cryogonal perhaps. This one is mostly speculatory though.

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
:brambleghast:
Brambleghast @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wind Rider
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Curse

Very solid HO lead that matches up extremely well into Smeargle (bullet seed OHKO's w 3 hits and it's non contact so you don't get burned if they scout t1 with burning bulwark). Also keeps hazards off vs lycanroc leads and can often secure a spike afterwards, before clicking Curse on whatever tries to setup on you.

:lilligant-hisui:
Lilligant-Hisui @ Wide Lens
Ability: Hustle
Tera Type: Ghost
Jolly Nature
- Victory Dance
- Close Combat
- Petal Blizzard
- Ice Spinner

This set is ridiculously strong and matches up surprisingly well into anti-offense measures like Ambipom, Lucario, and Infernape. Wide Lens makes all the difference in making Hustle's accuracy drop not feel too punishing, and after one boost you're basically murking everything that isn't a resist or fat Talonflame.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
:gastrodon:
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rock Blast
- Waterfall
- Recover

If you really hate Suicune, this is a funny full stop to it. Also works as a Gyarados check. Haven't found a nice balance team to make this work on yet, but in isolation it keeps those two in check. Won a surprising amount of games when someone doesn't bother killing Gastrodon for two turns then it's too strong to break

:incineroar:
Incineroar @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Trip
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
- Flame Charge

Funny setup variant of Incineroar that gets the most out of Power Trip with the Weakness Policy activation. He is pretty dang slow though, so you'll need multiple boosts or a timely use of tera to take out revenge killers. Most people don't think twice of flip turning on this guy, and he can stomach even super effective hits really well with intimidate and a bulk up defense boost.

Some demonstrations are shown below:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-2076857583
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-2076863914

Last edited:
:Lucario: Cool new Lucario set just dropped :Lucario:

https://pokepast.es/ad6d2490d6839fe8

I was thinking about a vac wave user to beat lycanroc in the tier and came across the idea for this, fighting + ghost hits everything in the tier (no one uses hisui zoroa don't lie to me) and there's a lot of things you can get a free sub + plot boost on, tera ghost lets you sub up on chansey and blank it, scarf close combats from meinshao, CCs from lycanroc which you can bop with vac wave right after if they let, it lures Slowbro who usually checks physical sets that are much more common, sets up without tera on vileplume and muk lacking drain punch, and if they do have drain you can tera for a free sub or nasty plot and if you were able to chip muk down in the match (easier if you had a teammate knock it's lefties) take muk down from there with a vac wave

Here's a few games from a tour for blt I used the set in

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen9nu-2084648757 -luc getting a 6-0 sweep

*Edit: I had a second replay here but apparently it didn't save right and stopped working :(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)