np: UU - Higher Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Psychics got hit hard recently... more people are using Honchkrow, Yanmega, Houndoom, TrickBandSpiritomb etc... (I've seen all these as leads even) and this kind of spells doom for Uxie/Mesprit as leads.

I never saw many Claydols anyway. Psychic type was more of a curse for it...

I think the Psychics got hit hard recently... more people are using Honchkrow, Yanmega, Houndoom, TrickBandSpiritomb etc... (I've seen all these as leads even) and this kind of spells doom for Uxie/Mesprit as leads.

I never saw many Claydols anyway. Psychic type was more of a curse for it...
I've been using a CM Mesprit and it's won me many games. Substitute is kinda mandatory because of all the status going around(FU Toxic). So i've gone with Psychic/Ice Beam as my two attacks. STAB is just too useful for me to give up Psychic for Thunderbolt.

As for pokemon that might drop out, I doubt Claydol is one of them. At least not by October. In July it was number 21. I don't see it falling that rapidly.

Charizard and Magmortar seem most likely to go to NU. I have no idea why though considering there are so little things that can stop them. I noticed a lot less Scyther so maybe he'll drop too, along with Porygon2.

It seems like there's going to be a few changes come October. New entries are probably going to be Kangaskhan, Lopunny, and Magneton. And I think Muk and Jumpluff will come back. They deserve it though, they're really good.

Anyone wonder why no one uses Matine? Seems like it could wall so many things.

Anyone wonder why no one uses Matine? Seems like it could wall so many things.
A good typing and stat combination doesn't change the fact that it is a SR weak wall with no instant recovery and a shitty support movepool. I guess it is quite good for walling Moltres, Speed Boost Yanmega and certain Rain Dance Pokes, but it is kinda outclassed by Altaria for the first two whilst there are more threatening Pokemon that give Rain teams trouble.

What else does it wall that others don't do better? It seems to me that Mantine isn't capable of enough to justify a team slot in UU.

A good typing and stat combination doesn't change the fact that it is a SR weak wall with no instant recovery and a shitty support movepool. I guess it is quite good for walling Moltres, Speed Boost Yanmega and certain Rain Dance Pokes, but it is kinda outclassed by Altaria for the first two whilst there are more threatening Pokemon that give Rain teams trouble.

What else does it wall that others don't do better? It seems to me that Mantine isn't capable of enough to justify a team slot in UU.
True. I guess it's one of those walls that can get in but won't really do anything. Oh well. I still wanna toy with it a bit though.

Moltres carry HP Elec occasionally, so it doesnt always counter it. But Mantine will always eternally wall pretty much all bulky waters and some physical ones like CB Azu, and can pull a Milotic and use Haze. Also resists Blazikens STAB.

Still mostly outclassed by Milotic I'd say.

Seems like Stall teams are coming out its shell. Teams are now sliding towards a bulkier side. I've seen tons of Clefables (Facade), Arcanines (CB, LO, Howl), and Leafeon (SD). Surprisingly, not many of the teams I've played carried Yanmega.

Charizard is pretty much the Electivire of UU, he's terrible and shouldn't see as much usage as he does.

I've also never been impressed by Claydol, but at least Claydol has a really good movepool, even if he doesn't have the stats or typing to back it up.

I seemed to end up against Thund and Bluewind much of the time, and while I attest to losing most of the time I have pulled off a win against both these (great) players :o

Mostly I've been tampering with Lickilicky, which imo is severely underrated with 110/95/95 base defenses and only one weakness with access to a monster movepool and decent attack stats. (85 Attack, 80 SpA)

The monster movepool includes:
(support)
Wish
Rain Dance
Sunny Day
Knock Off
Toxic
Heal Bell
(sweeper)
Explosion
The typical normal type special movepool (Thunder, Blizzard, Fire Blast, Focus Blast)
Swords Dance
Curse
Amnesia
Return
Facade, although still outclassed by Clefable there as far as that goes
Body Slam
Aqua Tail (provides that heavenly water/normal coverage)
Power Whip
Brick Break
The Punches
SolarBeam
Focus Punch
Hammer Arm
Rock Slide
(wall)
Seismic Toss
Rest
Wish
Dig
(possible novelty sets)
Psych Up
Swagger
Counter

The main things I see are:
Amnesia/Curse/Aqua Tail/Return
Curse/Aqua Tail/Return/Rest
Amnesia/Curse/Return/Rest (requires pursuit support)
The sets currently in the analysis
Heal Bell/Wish/Rest/Seismic Toss or Toxic (Better than Chansey physically, better than Miltank specially [well, I guess Thick Fat gets some merit])
Protect/Dig/other stuff
Swords Dance sets
Mixed Wall breakers to meet your teams needs
A whole bunch of gimmick crap if you'd like :)

Personally, I based a team around the Amnesia/Curse/Return/Rest set, and it did wonderfully. The Counter set that is currently on the analysis also works wonders, as even STAB Close Combats do at max around 60% to 252HP/252Def Impish Licky, who easily eats them back with a Counter.

Yeah, I'm mostly playing theorymon, but I do feel like Licky has an advantage over most of the current mixed walls in UU. That's just my ten cents.

In other news, Dugtrio/Magneton/Swellow/Yanmega teams have also worked well for me, especially with spin support. I also feel like after Registeel is gone, Scyther could put huge holes in the current UU. (Although it's hard to stay current as it's evolving so fast now D:)

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Recently, I've been dwelling some "uncommon" sets to work around this predictable metagame. I'll list a few:

SubRoost Dodrio, which is basically the same as Staraptor without the extra 10 Base Attack. Still effective.

Calm Mind Entei is a great offensive force in conjuction with a solid Rapid Spinner.

SD Lickilicky on one of my anti-stall test teams (+2 Explosion will KO anyone in the UU tier)

Sleep Talk Skuntank is pretty cool, but its pretty poor so far after using it. Its a great Mismagius counter though.

Recently, I've been dwelling some "uncommon" sets to work around this predictable metagame. I'll list a few:

SubRoost Dodrio, which is basically the same as Staraptor without the extra 10 Base Attack. Still effective.

Calm Mind Entei is a great offensive force in conjuction with a solid Rapid Spinner.

SD Lickilicky on one of my anti-stall test teams (+2 Explosion will KO anyone in the UU tier)

Sleep Talk Skuntank is pretty cool, but its pretty poor so far after using it. Its a great Mismagius counter though.
How is Subroost Dodrio the same as Staraptor? Not even close. Close Combat allowed Staraptor to actually do something to Steels. All Dodrio does is give them a free switch-in.

Recently, I've been dwelling some "uncommon" sets to work around this predictable metagame.
Seems like everyone took that mindset yesterday. UU metagame took a huge swing of pace. As it went from Milotic-Registeel-Yanmega-Blah-Blah-Blah to pure chaos. It was hard to keep up with all the teams I played yesterday because of the variance of pokemon and move-sets. Sure there were standard sets but when a Rock Polish Regirock comes up and sweeps you...

Anyways, I'm glad the UU metagame finally got a change of pace.

@Aeroblactyl

It's to bad that Dodrio can't use Baton Pass and Brave Bird in conjunction...

Dugtrio and Donphan have become UU due to their low usage in OU play

Umbreon has been promoted to OU because people in that tier used it enough

Crobat and Shaymin were voted BL by a majority of eligible voters

Honchkrow is no longer a suspect, and it is available in UU play once again!
Well, it was right, to put Shaymin to BL, because only with Seed Flare it's incredible scary for UU. It's naturally somewhat bulky too. However, i think, Crobat i would either put to UU. It can't do much like sleep-inducing, set up a weather condition, or sweep as a Nasty Plot Sweeper. But there are really better Nasty Plot Sweeper.

But Umbreon in OU .. it really can't do nothing in OU really .. the only things it could ever do was to get a Toxic on their foes and then stall out. However, with all the Steel-Types it is really not that good Staller in OU. Well, okay, Curser-Umbreon seems somewhat too bulky for UU, but for OU, Umbreon is just too unversatile.

Honchkrow for UU is okay, because it lacks of speed and when it is played physical, the opponent can predict it out from Sucker Punching. It has great type coverage (a even better when it's played special) but lack of speed really cripples any Sweeper.

___

And Milotic is UU again, too. I think, it was OU before.
Even when it has incredible defenses, paired with a very helpful ability and decent Special Attack, all the Thunderbolts, Solarbeams and Grass Knots really cripple her.

Yanmega is UU now too, before it was OU, and wtf... Yanmega in UU is just monstrous. The only real counters to it are Registeel, Sleep Talk Regice and .. maybe Rock/Stone-Types like Bastiodon and Aggron. Hypnosis makes this ugly dragonfly just even harder to beat. To prove its skills, just remember, when it takes down in OU Infernapes, Azelfs, Alakazams, Weaviles (Focus Sash can be helpful!), Starmie, good chances to take down Cresselia, Machamps and much other (frail) Pokémon.

I hope, its allowed, to give statements for the Tier changes.

Well, it was right, to put Shaymin to BL, because only with Seed Flare it's incredible scary for UU. It's naturally somewhat bulky too. However, i think, Crobat i would either put to UU. It can't do much like sleep-inducing, set up a weather condition, or sweep as a Nasty Plot Sweeper. But there are really better Nasty Plot Sweeper.

But Umbreon in OU .. it really can't do nothing in OU really .. the only things it could ever do was to get a Toxic on their foes and then stall out. However, with all the Steel-Types it is really not that good Staller in OU. Well, okay, Curser-Umbreon seems somewhat too bulky for UU, but for OU, Umbreon is just too unversatile.

Honchkrow for UU is okay, because it lacks of speed and when it is played physical, the opponent can predict it out from Sucker Punching. It has great type coverage (a even better when it's played special) but lack of speed really cripples any Sweeper.

___

And Milotic is UU again, too. I think, it was OU before.
Even when it has incredible defenses, paired with a very helpful ability and decent Special Attack, all the Thunderbolts, Solarbeams and Grass Knots really cripple her.

Yanmega is UU now too, before it was OU, and wtf... Yanmega in UU is just monstrous. The only real counters to it are Registeel, Sleep Talk Regice and .. maybe Rock/Stone-Types like Bastiodon and Aggron. Hypnosis makes this ugly dragonfly just even harder to beat. To prove its skills, just remember, when it takes down in OU Infernapes, Azelfs, Alakazams, Weaviles (Focus Sash can be helpful!), Starmie, good chances to take down Cresselia, Machamps and much other (frail) Pokémon.

I hope, its allowed, to give statements for the Tier changes.
OU or not are PURELY BASED ON USAGE ALONE. If it gets used enough in OU it's OU, and if it doesn't it's UU/BL. As long as people continue to use Umbreon in OU it will be OU, and as long as people don't use Yanmega in OU it will be UU. If you want Yanmega in OU that badly use it more and convince other people to do so as well.

As for Crobat, when UU first started Crobat was in, then it was ruled out as a suspect, and then (almost?) unanimously voted as UU, stayed for a while before it become a suspect AGAIN and ruled out of UU that time. I think its BL status is well justified.

I'm on the UU ladder at the moment. and I've noticed one thing: CM slowbro is amazing. With the lose of crobat and with the help of Registeel for Mega, you have a powerfull yet bulky sweeper who can after 3/4 CMs (Which it can get rather easily) sweep whith Surf and Psychic whilst recovering damage with Slack Off.

It's to bad that Dodrio can't use Baton Pass and Brave Bird in conjunction...
Use Drill Peck, there is no reason to keep the set as similar to Staraptor when they play differently. I don't think UU is a competition to see what Pokemon comes closest to Raptor...

Anywho, I see this chaos in UU as a bad thing, as it is showing just how frustrated a lot of the players are becoming with the current metagame. Seriously, Donphan + Yanmega + Roserade + Milotic is just everywhere, and all that seems to really difer is "do I use Registeel, Mismagius, or Clefable". I know that doesn't hold true for everyone (we have plenty of Kanga, Stall, Blaziken, Dugtrio, etc. users), but it definitely is just the shape UU is at the moment. I mean come on, Rock Polish Regice?

I blame Specs Yanmega for really just fucking up the metagame right now and forcing players to use quite frankly, gimmick sets. RP Regice might score a few kos against maybe a team of Donphan, Yanmega, Milotic, Roserade but it has so much trouble with anything other than that (Arcanine, Registeel, Mismagius, Clefable, Chansey, etc.). Yanmega is forcing people to use some crazy sets and really just taking the fun out of UU because you have to use everything you have to stop it.

This is a lot more of a rant at the moment instead of an actual nomination, I'll try and keep it more detailed and factual if we ever have nomination periods again.

---

First off is Kangaskhan. Players like ToF are right in that he is never going to be banned and that he definitely is not the best UU Pokemon. I know a few people still believe this (I did), but we have to accept reality that Kangaskhan still has a lot of trouble against common threats (Milotic and Hitmontop for example). However, Kanga is still a really powerful Pokemon and is exactly what someone who has troubles with Stall teams would be looking for. CB Kangashkhan is very powerful as CB Return is going to break through any Ghost-types giving them very few actual counters left (Omastar can be used effectively but watch out for Hammer Arm). Even better, (in my opinion), is Substitute Kangashkan who can set up Substitutes on Chansey, Registeel, Spiritomb, etc with ease and begin to destroy with Return, Focus Punch, and Sucker Punch. If you are having some Stall team problems, and you want to try something other than Blaziken (who stall teams usually have as the main Pokemon to stop), then give Kanga a try.

Blaziken is still strong but his life hasn't been made easy with the recent additions of Dugtrio, Donphan, and Yanmega. Dugtrio is probably the best way to stop Blaziken, outspeeding and OHKOing with Earthquake. Scarf Blaziken seems sort of useless to me so I don't really think resorting to that will help. Donphan can not only OHKO with Earthquake but keeps Stealth Rock off the field for Yanmega, who can also OHKO with Air Slash. A lot of people used to throw Blaziken on a team willy nilly but I find that to be the very wrong approach now a days. He is a good filler Pokemon but you need to be sure you can take out his big problems before attempting to sweep. Nothing is more frustrating than bringing in Blaziken, only to be met by Moltres, Altaria, Yanmega, Dugtrio, Milotic, etc.

It seems as if Houndoom leads have seemingly died down with the addition of Dugtrio. Houndoom does make a very fine answer to Roserade and Uxie but they also seem to slowly be losing their lead capability. So what is replacing all of these guys? Well, it is varying. It seems Ambipom has made a comeback of sorts, with Fake Out / Return / U-Turn / Payback. Tauros is also interesting (SubTauros) and Swellow has also been picking up some lead status. Omastar seems to lead all stall teams, and if not him, Cloyster is a good second guess. I do like how leads are slowly diversifying from the bog standard Uxie and Roserade to some more agile and clever leads.

I have no idea why most people dont use rock polish regirock I mean that is like the rock polish rhyperior of OU. After all MAX'ed evs can out speed a bunhc of non offensive base 75s and then double that and he has 400+ speed and with a life orb about 360 attack.

I have no idea why most people dont use rock polish regirock I mean that is like the rock polish rhyperior of OU. After all MAX'ed evs can out speed a bunhc of non offensive base 75s and then double that and he has 400+ speed and with a life orb about 360 attack.
Because he's 10x more useful as a tank and isn't getting past a bulky water any time soon.

Dodrio, Tauros, and Leafeon seem to be the most interesting new trends I've been seeing lately, and I plan on building some teams surrounding them when I get back (on vacation), we'll see how that goes.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Leafeon is probably the easiest sweeper to use, especially with Weezing being non-existent in the UU tier (from my experience), getting rid of Registeel is no problem. Leafeon should be UU soon.

Leafeon is probably the easiest sweeper to use, especially with Weezing being non-existent in the UU tier (from my experience), getting rid of Registeel is no problem. Leafeon should be UU soon.
Which surprises me. I mean, Weezing can stop so many threats. Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Azumarill, Feraligator, Leafeon, SD Sceptile, Absol, Drapion, Donphan, Honchkrow, Scyther, Torterra, and the list can go on and on. I guess Houndoom screws it over really bad, but is Houndoom the only reason it's not being used a lot?

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since I've been extremely bored with Yanmega + Roserade + Donphan + Bulky Water I've been trying out a few things and these are the results!

SD Ludicolo is amazing. Pretty much runs straight through stall with STAB Water + Grass and Ice Punch to cover Altaria. As long as you can avoid being wisp'ed the game is pretty much yours!

SD Subsalac Feraligatr can either sweep or kill one Pokemon then be revenged by priority. The metagame is almost perfect for Feraligatr to get perfectly set up, but not to rack the kills up after being set up :/

Nasty Plot Toxicroak is pretty underwhelming after all the good things I've heard about it. With HP Fighting you're really not killing all that much. And who really wants to run Focus Blast?

Piloswine is my boooooy. Actually he's pretty bad but the STAB Ice Shard at least lets him kill Yanmega from 50%! Not that it means that much when I pack Chansey but whatever STRONG PILOSWINE.

do I use Registeel, Mismagius, or Clefable
I use all 3, problem solved lol :)
My team consists of:
Lead donphan, (EQ, SR, RS, Ice shard)
CMbro (Surf, Psychic, CM, Slack off)
Registeel (T-wave, Ironhead, T-punch, Explosion *boom boom*)
CMmagius (Shadow ball, HP-fighting, Sub, CM)
Scarflee (CC, Blaze Kick, EQ, SE)
and last but not least...................................................
Wishfable (Wish, Encore, Facade, T-wave)

Work wonders against most teams :) Yes I use 2 CMers, and both give me the most kills in fights so yeah.

Nasty Plot Toxicroak is pretty underwhelming after all the good things I've heard about it. With HP Fighting you're really not killing all that much. And who really wants to run Focus Blast?

Actually I've been using NPCroak with NP/Vacuum Wave/Focus Blast/Dark Pulse, it it works really well. It can easily switch into things like Chansey and Milotic, who expect a physical variant and sweep with its near perfect coverage. Its won me a couple matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)