np: UU - Higher Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a Houndoom on my Sun team.

Houndoom @ Shed Shell
Flash Fire
252 Spd/252 SpA/4 Hp
Timid
-Fire Blast
-Solar Beam
-HP: Rock
-Nasty Plot

The shed shell is there largely because it gives me a free SD with Tangrowth, if Houndoom kills something and Dugtrio doesn't come in then Dugtrio is not on their team.

I think I've found a new favorite move in Knock Off. Really, the move is just awesome. It removes many dangerous items, lets Dugtrio trap things that used to have Shed Shell, and tells you a lot about your opponents set from what you knocked off. Also, knocking Damp and Heat Rocks off slow weather starters before they manage it is just fun, as is knocking off light clay.

I've been using Sleep Powder/Leech Seed/Knock Off/Sludge Bomb Venusaur and it really wreaks havok on the opposing team.

I've finally started to use Yanmega, and I'm really starting to wonder if it might be broken. I've made so many combacks with a subpetaya Yanmega sweep.

I'm experimenting with Toxic Spikes + Dugtrio and getting some surprisingly nice results. I've also found myself using Venusaur instead of Roserade since its one of the only poison types that can take a Dugtrio's EQ repeatedly and isn't slaughtered by Pursuit.

Speaking of which, is Seed Bomb a decent choice on the CB set? I run max HP and attack, with Seed Bomb, EQ, Rapid Spin, Ice Shard.
seed bomb is a good weapeon against waters and grounds paticularly those who are x4 weak to it(gastradoon is annoying vs donphan)
to demostrate the effectivness of seed bomb i ran some clacs..

seed bomb vs max hp/max def slowbro=47.21% - 55.33%
seed bomb vs 148 hp/max def milotic=62.23% - 73.37%
seed bomb vs max hp/max def blastorise= 54.70% - 64.36%
seed bomb vs max hp/min def cloyster=49.34% - 57.89%

these bulky waters are good examples,as you can see from the clacs,most bulky waters are 2HKOed by seed bomb(with or without Stealth rocks support)

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Super effective Seed Bomb has only 10 more BP then neutral STAB Earthquake, the only thing Seed Bomb really accomplishes is a 2HKO on Slowbro with SR, and of course the OHKO on Quagsire/Wishcash.

Earthquake, Stone Edge, Assurance, Ice Shard is probably the best for a 4 attacks CB Donphan. If you want Stealth Rock there either remove one of the last 3 moves and you're fine.

Where has queen Roserade disappeared to? I haven't seen a single Roserade so far. Ambipom has been non-existent as well.
Donphan has the makings of a top-tier UU right now.
I don't know what server you've been playing on, I've been seeing them EVERYWHERE. Ok, maybe not as much as they used to be seen, but I still see plenty of them.

Has anyone been using Magneton? I've replaced Dugtrio with the Steel Trapper set on my team since I mainly wanted a Steel Trapper, not a general one, except I replaced HP Fire with HP Water, and it's been working beautifully. Magneton lures in Dugtrio and Donphan like there's no tomorrow, usually on a Substitute, so I can OHKO (I believe) Dugtrio and 2HKO Donphan (although it gets outsped and Magnet Rise'd anyways) easily. It still rapes Steelix and Registeel isn't doing anything anytime soon anyways, and it doesn't activate Flash Fire if Houndoom comes in (doesn't OHKO either, though); the only problem is that most Grass-types wall it now, but I've found I can still force my way through less bulky ones with Thunderbolt (such as SD Sceptile).

Mixed Blaziken hasn't been doing as well for me as I hoped. It might just be because I don't know how to use it to its full potential, but I keep getting the feeling that something like Honchkrow or Mixed Houndoom would perform a lot better. Unfortunately, both give my team various glaring type weaknesses, but that's besides the point. Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Yeah I'm seeing a lot of Ambipom and Roserade. I'm running a Kabutops lead with Stone Edge / Aqua Jet / Waterfall / Stealth Rock on a hyper offensive team and it's doing excellent, especially against the influx on Houndoom leads.

Also, 4 attack Pursuit Absol needs more love! Sleep Powder Roserade -> Absol is an excellent stallbreaking technique.

I don't know what server you've been playing on, I've been seeing them EVERYWHERE. Ok, maybe not as much as they used to be seen, but I still see plenty of them.

Has anyone been using Magneton? I've replaced Dugtrio with the Steel Trapper set on my team since I mainly wanted a Steel Trapper, not a general one, except I replaced HP Fire with HP Water, and it's been working beautifully. Magneton lures in Dugtrio and Donphan like there's no tomorrow, usually on a Substitute, so I can OHKO (I believe) Dugtrio and 2HKO Donphan (although it gets outsped and Magnet Rise'd anyways) easily. It still rapes Steelix and Registeel isn't doing anything anytime soon anyways, and it doesn't activate Flash Fire if Houndoom comes in (doesn't OHKO either, though); the only problem is that most Grass-types wall it now, but I've found I can still force my way through less bulky ones with Thunderbolt (such as SD Sceptile).

Mixed Blaziken hasn't been doing as well for me as I hoped. It might just be because I don't know how to use it to its full potential, but I keep getting the feeling that something like Honchkrow or Mixed Houndoom would perform a lot better. Unfortunately, both give my team various glaring type weaknesses, but that's besides the point. Does anyone else feel the same way I do?
I was putting together a team last night with Magneton and I found HP Ice to be the best option. It still hits Dugtrio and Donphan, but it also hits Grass types and most notably Torterra.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've been using a Sub/Nasty Plot/Dark Pulse/Reversal Houndoom Set for a bit of a laugh, and it's actually doing pretty well. It's a great stallbreaker, but i'm not using it seriously so...

Speaking of stall, it seems to me that stall is losing its effectiveness, with Offense becoming more popular right now.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dugtrio makes a great legit suicide lead after the Froslass days. Guarantees OHKO on standard Arcanine lead. Traps Silk Scarf Ambipom, destroys Roserade, etc. Guarantees a quick momentum in the game, and thats what a suicide lead generally does.

I'm really liking the offensive combo of Ninetales + Houndoom. Together they can pretty much muscle their way through their counters. Milotic is weakened by one then finished by the other. Nasty Plot Toxicroak works well with them as well, but then you get a big ground weak, which is why Torterra/Rotom work well with them. Dugtrio is annoying but if he's gone then the only thing that can beat this combo is priority. Even Chansey falls to Houndoom.

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of Ambipom and Roserade. I'm running a Kabutops lead with Stone Edge / Aqua Jet / Waterfall / Stealth Rock on a hyper offensive team and it's doing excellent, especially against the influx on Houndoom leads.

Also, 4 attack Pursuit Absol needs more love! Sleep Powder Roserade -> Absol is an excellent stallbreaking technique.
I'm gonna second that. Take a common scenario like Roserade vs Milotic, the opponent switches in Chansey, you bring in Absol, Pursuit it just as its about to switch out, (usually doing around 60 ~ 70 %, I use 252 Atk though), which is just weak enough for Roserade to kill it with either Sludge Bomb/Leaf Storm, provided SR is up.

SubPetaya Yanmegas been roaming around quite often, and I've been using Ambipom as a counter. Yanmega can't OHKO 4Hp/0SpDef Ambipom, even with SR up, unless it has Life Orb.

I've noticed that Swellow is a beast with Donphan/Milotic gone late game.

I wanna know what the hell is up with all the Lanturns on stall teams running parafusion. It's extremely annoying and doesn't help that they wall the hell out of my entire new team (I have to fix that).

Also, where has Moltres been? He seems to have disappeared even though his LO set dominated UU for quite a while. He isn't trapped by Dugtrio and can easily 2HKO Donphan, so I don't really get what the big deal is.

Also, Ambipom with pursuit is amazing, you do miss out on the OHKO on Rotom, but it's worth it when people try to switch and completely screws Mismagius, who also has gone down in usage lately. He also seems to be the best lead as of late, as all the leads tend to be fragile. LO Ambipom OHKOs Dugtrio with Fake Out and does ridiculous damage to Houndoom and most others. Combining it with pursuit, use Pursuit first turn as they switch to ghost for Fake Out, then pursuit the ghost to death. Works quite well.

Choice Specs Lanturn is a beast. It can switch in on so many pokes and let lose powerful STAB Surf/Thunderbolt or Ice Beam. It's also easy to predict those Thunder waves/bolts so he can stay alive for pretty much the entire match.

Sub DD Lapras has also been doing pretty well for me. It can set up on those Bulky waters and weak walls like Registeel. Water/Normal get's pretty good coverage.

woah,whats with the surge of all those rain dance teams im seeing most of the time?although they dont give me problems,ludicold and kabutops are quite possibly on every rain dance team ive seen

ive been also seeing rain dance ambipom leads .seems that ambipom is the "UU torrental azelf"by seting up rain dance then u-turn

Choice Specs Lanturn is a beast. It can switch in on so many pokes and let lose powerful STAB Surf/Thunderbolt or Ice Beam. It's also easy to predict those Thunder waves/bolts so he can stay alive for pretty much the entire match.

Sub DD Lapras has also been doing pretty well for me. It can set up on those Bulky waters and weak walls like Registeel. Water/Normal get's pretty good coverage.
DD Lapras was always effective since the beginning of UU. I feel that with only using Waterfall and Return you are better off with Feraligator. He can distinguish himself with Ice Shard which hits things that may still be faster even after a couple Dragon Dances. (Mismagius, Roserade Dugtrio Ambipom) on their weaker defensive stat or Super Effective. Going with Adamant 252 in attack and the rest spread around defense is the way to go as his base Attack isn't that great and he needs multiple sweep. It's hard to think something bulkier than Vaporeon with an amazing movepool is UU. Stupid Stealth Rock

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually think the real awesome set is the Mixed DD that I used a while back. Ice Beam does well to toast most counters to DD / Waterfall / Return, such as Altaria, Tangrowth, and other Grass-types. If you want to use DD Lapras, you have to take advantage of its tools, and a STAB Ice Beam is the real good one. Waterfall / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt with 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe, LO, and a Naughty or Lonely nature provide some impressive offense. Tangrowth and Altaria are OHKOed by Ice Beam, Slowbro is a solid 2KO from Thunderbolt, and most of the other physical walls take it in the ear from Water attacks.

That set does look rather interesting, I should try it sometime. It seems like it only gets one shot though because of the lack of lefties and LO recoil.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Posting to say my team based around NastyPlot/Super Power/Dark Pulse/Heat Wave Honchcrow and SD/Fire Punch/Superpower/Stone Edge Blaziken has been pretty successful. I built said team to beat stall since UU Stall is a bitch, but the combo is really good. Send out Honchcrow against stall, wait for the Donphan/Spiritomb switch in and Nasty Plot + Dark Pulse pretty much cripples them. Most inportantly, Donphan. With Donphan weakened, SD Blaziken pretty much 6-0s your typical Stall team. Scarf Rotom can revenge kill but most people use Spiritomb on stall.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Posting to inform people that I edited the OP to include the *approximate* dates of when the nomination process of UU->BL will take place. I can't predict the future of all 3 of our schedules but I can say with 100% certainty that after everything that happened last time it will not be any later than that weekend, lol

nominations for UU->BL (assuming that there are any) will take place around the weekend of Sept. 11-13, and they will be open for 1 week after the topic is posted. The ratings were all reset on July 31, so Sept 11 would be exactly 6 weeks.

I will post more specific information as the deadline approaches, but for now everything is covered by posts #1 and #3 in this thread

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I've been using SD BP Leafeon > RP Relicanth with great sucess. They cover each other weakness pretty damn good and Relicanth is just a beast. I also got Arcanine as a potential receiver, kinda forming that Water, Grass, Fire core.

It's pretty hard to stop Leafeon from setting up, with all the Donphans and Dugtrios around. Also if someone is stupid enough to switch in their Roserade/Honchkrow against it, they are promptly OHKO'd by SD'd Return after SR.

It's pretty hard to stop Leafeon from setting up, with all the Donphans and Dugtrios around. Also if someone is stupid enough to switch in their Roserade/Honchkrow against it, they are promptly OHKO'd by SD'd Return after SR.
meh i think theres still a ton of pokemon who can switch in on it it most notably registeel,arcanine(mainly because of its other trait)and weezing

since leafeon can also learn x-sicssor it stops honchkrow and roserade dead in there tracks

ill try leafon through as i can see that just like glaceons STAB ice beams leafeons STAB leaf blades are a pain to deal with

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
meh i think theres still a ton of pokemon who can stop it most notably registeel,arcanine(mainly because of its other trait)and weezing

since leafeon can also learn x-sicssor it stops honchkrow and roserade dead in there tracks

ill try leafon through as i can see that just like glaceons STAB ice beams leafeons STAB leaf blades are a pain to deal with
Registeel is a set up fodder, Arcanine is 90% of the time slower so you can safely Baton Pass, Weezing is almost unexistant. Leafon and Glaceon have nothing to do with each other really, so I have no clue what are you talking about.

Funny how SR/Spin/EQ/Assurance Donphan (beats Ghosts) is setup fodder for NP Honchkrow.

I've heard Dekzeh mention that Dark Pulse/Insomnia should become standard for Honchkrow over Night Slash/Super Luck. If so, what would you use to counter Dark Pulse/Superpower/Sucker Punch/Drill Peck Honchkrow?

Registeel is a set up fodder, Arcanine is 90% of the time slower so you can safely Baton Pass, Weezing is almost unexistant. Leafon and Glaceon have nothing to do with each other really, so I have no clue what are you talking about.
weezing is unexistant?i dont think so with the recent stats:
| 32| weezing| 5004| 5.95
as i said i only listed arcanine because of its trait which means that your baton passing +1(although it isnt really much of a differnce)
since you only mentioned SD BP leafon and not the baton passing or the SD sweeper but if its a SD sweeper then registeel walls it all day

im not gonna list the rest because i ethier agree with you or just to think about it.

edit:oh and speaking of which did anyone try glaceon in hail teams? its doing pretty well with STAB bilzard and 130 base sp attack,it also serves as a decent counter vs altaria
edit 2:yeah i forgot to mention that part i was just about to edit it when you posted it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)