np: UU - A New Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Meh, unless you're in a Sandstorm, Probopass is pretty damn outclassed in the newer UU. The only thing it has over Registeel is Taunt, which I suppose could be useful against really slow walls, but otherwise Probo is way too slow to pull it off.

When it comes to support, anything Probopass does, Registeel does better, with every stat better than or equal to Probo, with a much better typing.

Then, with trapping, Magneton does it way better than Probo. I suppose that Probo could stop Steelix's Roar with Taunt, though (still very risky if the Steelix user predicts around the Taunt and EQs). Otherwise, he's faster, stronger, has more resistances, and with Magnet Rise, he doesn't still have a gaping weakness to Fighting.

With Magneton, I've been using Magnezone's old OU set, the Substitute one. It goes Thunderbolt/HP Ground/Sub/Magnet Rise though, I don't remember the exact EV spread. I just remember that it has max special attack and enough speed to outspeed a max speed Azumarill (219) with the rest in HP.

It traps any Steel type with ease, and it's still a very powerful attacker after the Steels are gone. I've been seriously considering switching to HP Fire though, since I'd much rather be walled by Camerupt than by Abomasnow in this metagame.

I have never had problems with Kabutops on my hail team, as Slowbro usually walls and kills it. I guess one pokemon doesn't refute the "Kabutops is good against hail" argument, but I have his back covered pretty well on my team, so he usually sticks around till the end.

Speaking of mixed sweepers/hail counters, I have found life orb Magmortar to be a great wallbreaker. I just started using it, so my experience is somewhat limited, but in matches against hail teams he's torn through several pokemon before dying, even at the very beginning of the match.

With Flamethrower, Cross Chop, Thunderbolt, and Psychic, he can easily score big hits on Abomasnow, Slowbro, Steelix, Clefable, Chansey, Walrein, Milotic, Nidoqueen, spinner Hitmontop, and Glaceon. Life orb flamethrower also cleanly 2hko'ed all of the Claydol and Spiritomb I ran into.

Stealth rock + life orb damage is unfortunate, though. I guess you could use him as a lead, as he can KO Crobat, Roserade, Abomasnow, Froslass :/, and Steelix. Most people will expect scarf so you can use that to your advantage.

I have never had problems with Kabutops on my hail team, as Slowbro usually walls and kills it. I guess one pokemon doesn't refute the "Kabutops is good against hail" argument, but I have his back covered pretty well on my team, so he usually sticks around till the end.

Speaking of mixed sweepers/hail counters, I have found life orb Magmortar to be a great wallbreaker. I just started using it, so my experience is somewhat limited, but in matches against hail teams he's torn through several pokemon before dying, even at the very beginning of the match.

With Flamethrower, Cross Chop, Thunderbolt, and Psychic, he can easily score big hits on Abomasnow, Slowbro, Steelix, Clefable, Chansey, Walrein, Milotic, Nidoqueen, spinner Hitmontop, and Glaceon. Life orb flamethrower also cleanly 2hko'ed all of the Claydol and Spiritomb I ran into.

Stealth rock + life orb damage is unfortunate, though. I guess you could use him as a lead, as he can KO Crobat, Roserade, Abomasnow, Froslass :/, and Steelix. Most people will expect scarf so you can use that to your advantage.
Also to add on to this. Magmotar also has Flame Body which is... 30% Chance to Burn on hit.

Yeah, we don't have a great deal in UU in terms of trappers. I've found Diglett and Trapinch to be quite situational, and their stats are extremely low.

Then again, Dugtrio has a lower stat total than Ponyta, and it is OU, but I think the decrease in strength from Dugtrio to Diglett is larger than the general increase in strength from OU to UU, hence, Diglett is likely to be less effective in UU than Dugtrio is in OU. I suspect Diglett may have a better time when we get NU sorted.

In terms of Magneton and Probopass, I think Magneton is the better choice, although both are quite decent. However, Probopass has a terrible defensive type combo, whilst Magneton has one of the best in the game, resisting a whopping 13 of 17 types! Not to mention, Magneton doesn't need to invest into speed to outspeed Steelix and Registeel, and it has the strongest Electric and Steel type attacks in the game (its Thunderbolt is stronger than Raikou's). Magneton's Hidden Power Ground will do far more than Probopass's Earth Power, its Thunderbolt is probably about twice as strong as Probopass's, and it's obviously got stronger Steel-type moves. Magneton's even got a stronger Explosion. Probopass only gets stronger Rock-type moves.

Then again, if Latias gets into OU, Magneton may do too (this is a feeble presumption based on the fact that Magneton was pretty close to OU in the suspect ladder in December), which will mean we'll all have to use Probopass.

Why would you use Hidden Power Ground over Hidden Power Fire? Hidden Power Fire hits Steelix and grass types harder, while Hidden Power electric is better hits steels that don't resist thunderbolt anyway. Probopass and Magneton are different types of trappers. Magneton can provide more for a team than just trapping with its powerful attacks, meanwhile Probopass is the better trapper simply because it has taunt. With Magneton, you can still get roared out since it is impossible for Magneton to OHKO a Steelix with Hidden Power Fire.

Modest Life Orb Magneton's HP Ground vs. Standard Sub CM Raikou (no boosts):

56.80%-67.46%

thats wonderful, seems like raikou can't switch in and it would also seem as if raikou could only cm once against magneton switching in. and then raikou would be stupid to stay in against a magneton switch-in, fearing the obvious hp ground. therefore, maggy is a counter to hp ice / tbolt raikou.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If it's an offensive Raikou with CM/Signal Beam/HP Ground/Thunderbolt, Magneton obviously just gets killed.

i clearly said magneton counters hp ice / tbolt raikou and heysup said "no he doesnt, hes set up bait" so i proved him wrong. No one is saying anything about hp ground raikou because that obviously would win (unless it switches into you magnet rising.

+1 Timid Life Orb Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 4/min Magneton: 76.86% - 90.50%
With Modest: 84.30% - 99.17%

It's no guaranteed OHKO, but that's pretty impressive.

maggy runs 72 hp on pretty much every set :/ (or at least i thought they did as it hits 222 speed with modest)

64.09%-75.68% (the damage done to a 72 hp maggy using 116 spa evs with raikou) is might impressive but we arent talking about the life orb set here, we are talking about a lefties / sub cm set.

any life orb set definitely beats magneton though, no point in denying that but i see magneton as a pretty good check to sub cm raikou. and even if maggy dies, raikou is left with such little health left that he dies to priority =/.

magneton is not a counter to raikou but with hp ground on maggys disposal, he certainly isnt set up bait which is the original arguement.

I don't use HP ground on my Magneton because nobody really runs Hp Ice on their Raikou anymore, its either fire or ground these days. I also don't use Life Orb either since I want my Magneton to have some survivability so i run lefties, 252 hp, and sub. However KD why would you do the calcs with Raikou unboosted by CM, unless Raikou subs (unlikely), he would most likely CM when you HP ground, unless he switches Raikou in on the HP ground which would be stupid.

it was for raikous switching in -_-.

obviously i overestimated magneton a bit so lets get off this subject lol, magneton probably shouldnt be fighting a raikou unless it switches in.

Modest Life Orb Magneton's HP Ground vs. Standard Sub CM Raikou (no boosts):

56.80%-67.46%

thats wonderful, seems like raikou can't switch in and it would also seem as if raikou could only cm once against magneton switching in. and then raikou would be stupid to stay in against a magneton switch-in, fearing the obvious hp ground. therefore, maggy is a counter to hp ice / tbolt raikou.

Ok, change the scenario to a favorable position and then say im wrong.

Your exact words were "hp ground beats hp ice / tbolt raikou", that means that when they are both in at the same time, HP Ground Magneton beats Raikou. This is terribly false, so no, you didnt "prove me wrong". In fact you helped me prove that Raikou can set up CMs(2 at least) on Magneton, so thank you.

And now you are throwing around words that you seem to not understand. For Example:

"therefore, maggy is a counter to hp ice / tbolt raikou".

A "counter" is something that can switch in, and cause an immediate threat to the pokemon in question, look it up in the C&C section somewhere, they defined it there. Magneton, no matter if its the standard, or the LO version, can NOT do that, in fact Raikou can likely set up 4-5 CMs or more with that situation, i dont want to or need to do the calcs for that.

To add to this, Magnetons "standard" sets arent even with LO. Using a non-standard set in an arguement makes your point fairly invalid. I would also like to note that HP ground Raikou is likely more popular than Ice now.

Before you start calling people out and "proving them wrong", learn the terms and dont change the situation to try to prove your point.

Sorry if i sound bitter or defensive, it is not the case. I would just rather people not throw arguements around trying to prove something that isnt true.

i worded it terribly, i meant raikou can't switch into magneton, therefore magneton isn't set up bait in that scenario. however, you are absolutely correct in saying raikou would win otherwise and would always win if maggy switched in to him.

sorry for miswording / understanding

No hard feelings :D.

Also, everyone should try my Charizard its really good :P.

Edit: Blaziken is the best UU pokemon imo.

I like CB Blaziken. A lot. Hits sooooo fricken hard. Nothing safely switches into the chicken. Unfortunately, my team is already 2x ground weak with no resists, so my replacement is the very excellent Specs Mismagius. Great at blocking spin, ruining walls with trick, 2hkoes Milotic with T-Bolt, has good coverage with ghost fighting, and overall is very nice.

Oh, and I tried out that Scarf Manetric lead. It works out quite nicely.

Muk's been a great status absorber for me, as well as a pretty good special tank.

He's only 3HKO'd by Timid Heatran, now that I do calcs O.O

Well, Heatran is OU this is UU. Also to make this a productive post Ampharos just might be the answer to most of my UU problems.

T-Bolt - STAB attack coming off 115 Base Special Attack
Focus Blast/ Focus Punch - Uh.. Regi/ Lix who?
Filler -
Filler -

Hidden Power [Ice], Thunder Wave, Reflect, Substitute, Heal Bell, and Light Screen. Definitely not short on support moves.

90/75/90 Defensive Stats AND Static.

What a beast.

Edit: Oh yeah, who can she counter.

Staraptor, Crobat, Registeel, Steelix... uhm. I think there is more. I'm just theorymoning her up ^^.

Hey everyone, sorry if this belongs in the SQSA thread, but I figured it'd be better here since it's about the nUU.

Anyways, I just made a team for it for the first time today, and it's been a lot of fun. However, I noticed that my team really doesn't have a way to deal with Spiritomb (any version; CM, Spite, ResTalk, etc.) aside from trying to take it down with pure brute force. Any version with Rest is particularly annoying because I can't try to speed up the process with WoW or Toxic. Are there any Pokemon that are particularly useful in taking down thia aggravating ghost easily?

Also, what's a good EV spread for Shaymin? I tried doing a search of this topic, but there's just way too many posts to sift through. Currently I'm using Timid with 32 HP/252 SAtk/224 Spd, what's reccomended in its analysis. However, that's for OU, so I'm not sure if I ought to be running more or less Speed, or if a completely different setup ought to be used. I'm running Seed Flare/Earth Power/HP Ice/Rest @Life Orb, btw.

Hey everyone, sorry if this belongs in the SQSA thread, but I figured it'd be better here since it's about the nUU.

Anyways, I just made a team for it for the first time today, and it's been a lot of fun. However, I noticed that my team really doesn't have a way to deal with Spiritomb (any version; CM, Spite, ResTalk, etc.) aside from trying to take it down with pure brute force. Any version with Rest is particularly annoying because I can't try to speed up the process with WoW or Toxic. Are there any Pokemon that are particularly useful in taking down thia aggravating ghost easily?

Also, what's a good EV spread for Shaymin? I tried doing a search of this topic, but there's just way too many posts to sift through. Currently I'm using Timid with 32 HP/252 SAtk/224 Spd, what's reccomended in its analysis. However, that's for OU, so I'm not sure if I ought to be running more or less Speed, or if a completely different setup ought to be used. I'm running Seed Flare/Earth Power/HP Ice/Rest @Life Orb, btw.
For Shaymin Max Speed/SAtk, my favourite set is the Specs set because you can 2HKO Blissey.

And the best way to kill Spiritomb is in fact: Brute Force.

Ill suggest Blaziken for SPiritombs, its immune to WoW, and takes nothing from Dark Pulse.

Most high-powered attackers can bowl him over. I use a Choice Banded Sharpedo on my team to deal with it easily. If you let it set up it becomes a bear to handle, so the key is simply heavy offense.

hopfully i posted this in the right place....

anyway, i think Munchlax can be boosted from NFE to UU. i know it seems a bit odd but it could. with an base hp of 135, atk and sp.def of 85 it can very easly be a UU curselax. its just an idea though, i plan on testing it out a bit first, ill let you know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)