Metagame np: SV Ubers Stage 2 - Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going to preface this by saying I don't usually post in these threads so my thoughts might be a little disorganized. Since we've had a survey for each of the recent metagames (DLC 1, Post-Home, DLC 2) I think it's valid to start with the observation that both enjoyment and stability have gone down since the Post-Home survey. Enjoyment has gone from 7.25 (Post-Home) to 6.59 (DLC 2) and stability has dropped to 5.67 (DLC 2) from 6.43. For reference, enjoyment was at 6.2 and stability at 6.9 for the last Gen 8 survey. I think it's fairly disingenuous to compare SS to SV in any real capacity given how different they are, and I think the difference between SV being viewed as more enjoyable vs less stable and SS being more stable and less enjoyable demonstrates that. I'm not a believer in the showdown ladder being representative of the tier as a whole because of all the gimmicks used at low ELO, but I'll just mention Miraidon sits comfortably at #2 in usage for February with a large difference in usage between it and the third most used pokemon, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane. In UWC usage stats these two are flipped with NDM having ~63% usage and Miraidon having ~55.7%. There's another massive dropoff in these stats between Miraidon at #3 with 55.7% and Ho-oh at #4 with ~31.7%. With these numbers out of the way, I want to get into my thoughts about Miraidon.

Sitting comfortably in the 405 speed tier, the main pokemon that can outspeed and threaten to KO Miraidon are Deoxys-Attack, Zacian, Scarf Koraidon, Iron Bundle, opposing Scarf Miraidon, Flutter Mane, & Chien-Pao. Of these, Iron Bundle (with Boots) and Chien-Pao (Band) need use up their Tera to threaten the OHKO, and there's always the possibility that Miraidon can use a defensive Tera to avoid it. While the pivot set doesn't have the immediate power of Specs, there are very few things that want to switch into a Draco Meteor or Electro Drift. Bulky ground types (Groundceus, Ting-Lu, Clodsire, Spdef Gliscor, Spdef Groudon) & Blissey are the mons that can defensively check Miraidon but still must watch out for certain sets. Groudon, for example, cannot check Specs Miraidon and is at best a one-time switchin to the pivot set as well. Ting-Lu, the premier Miraidon check, can switch in at best twice to the pivot set before dying to the 3rd Draco Meteor. Defensively, Blissey fares the best, but is so passive it can't stop Miraidon from wearing it down and pressing Taunt to prevent healing. Spdef Groundceus can avoid the 2HKO from Draco but can only threaten the OHKO about 30% of the time if it opts to run EQ over Judgment. There are more niche options that can be run to check or surprise kill Miraidon like Iron Treads & Haban Eternatus, but they tend to fare poorly against the rest of the tier (arguably Blissey falls into this category as well but I've included it with the main checks since it does provide some utility against Calm Mind Arceus forms and other special attackers whereas Treads is really just useful for its ability to check Miraidon) or are just not worth using when compared to more standard sets. Without exception, each of these checks must fear whatever Tera type Miraidon happens to be running. Tera Dragon can be used to get an immediate power boost to muscle through a Ground type or Tera Flying/Bug can be used to remove its Ground weakness and set up on a mon that previously checked it. With a defensive Tera and Agility, Miraidon can even manage to get through its offensive checks, using Tera Fairy on a Koraidon locked into a Dragon move to get a free turn of set up or something similar with various other Tera types.

Miraidon has a lot of variety stemming from its massive usage rate, but the main sets it opts to run are the Boots pivot set, Specs set, double dance set, and Calm Mind Life Orb set, with options like Scarf being more niche. On preview it’s typically impossible to say with certainty which set Miraidon happens to be running since each of its sets can be used on pretty much any team archetype without major drawback. Starting with the Boots pivot set, Miraidon trades in the wallbreaking and sweeping capabilities of its other sets for the longevity provided by never taking hazards damage upon switching in. Miraidon can effectively come in, click Draco Meteor, and U-Turn out as many times as it wants during the game, provided it doesn’t use up all of its Draco Meteors. Like I mentioned above, a lot of the Spdef Ground types can switch into this set but can struggle with actually beating it. Assuming the Miraidon has U-Turn, and hits Draco Meteor, each interaction of switching your Spdef Ground in is going to come down to a 50/50 between whether the Miraidon Taunts or not, preventing recovery for the Ground type and resulting in Miraidon beating it next time it gets the opportunity to come in.

252 SpA Hadron Engine Miraidon Draco Meteor vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Arceus-Ground: 186-219 (42.1 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Hadron Engine Miraidon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 210-247 (45.2 - 53.2%) -- 32.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Hadron Engine Miraidon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Gliscor: 262-310 (74 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Hadron Engine Miraidon Draco Meteor vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon: 225-265 (56.1 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Hadron Engine Miraidon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 181-214 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- 79.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even if the Ground type attacks Miraidon on the turn it uses Taunt, Miraidon will live the attack (aside from EQ Groundceus/Groudon) and proceed to win the 1v1 next time it comes in. Attempting to check this Miraidon set defensively is difficult and, in the long run, almost always going to favor the Miraidon user.

While the Specs set can no longer stop a defensive answer from healing, very few answers exist to reliably switch into it. Clodsire, Groudon, Gliscor, and Groundceus (most of the time), can no longer serve as reliable answers due to their inability to avoid the 2HKO from Specs Draco.

252 SpA Choice Specs Hadron Engine Miraidon Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Arceus-Ground: 416-492 (94.3 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Hadron Engine Miraidon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Gliscor: 393-463 (111 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Hadron Engine Miraidon Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon: 506-596 (126.1 - 148.6%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Hadron Engine Miraidon Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 470-556 (101.2 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Leftovers recovery

Ting-Lu and Blissey are the two mons that can switch into a Specs Miraidon without fearing much, but Ting-Lu can only do so once as it has no reliable recovery and Blissey isn’t very usable in the current meta. The Calm Mind LO set is fairly similar in power to the Specs set, the only notable difference is that it has a chance to OHKO Ting-Lu with Tera Dragon (at +1) whereas the Specs set is a 2HKO with Tera Dragon. For the sake of brevity, I won’t list the calcs here but I’m sure you can imagine how much +1 LO Miraidon is doing to anything that switches in.

Finishing with the double dance set, this set allows Miraidon to boost its speed to help prevent its offensive checks from revenge killing it, and enjoys much more bulk as a result of not having to invest in its Speed stat. Double dance can’t really afford to run Draco Meteor so it struggles breaking through Ground types when compared to the other sets, but at +1 it still hits respectable damage levels. If it opts to run Electric Seed, it can even avoid the OHKO from defensive Groudon and Groundceus, allowing it to safely 2HKO them.

+1 252+ SpA Hadron Engine Miraidon Dragon Pulse vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Arceus-Ground: 199-235 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Hadron Engine Miraidon Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 226-267 (48.7 - 57.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Hadron Engine Miraidon Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Gliscor: 282-333 (79.6 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
+1 252+ SpA Hadron Engine Miraidon Dragon Pulse vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon: 241-285 (60 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Hadron Engine Miraidon Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 195-231 (37.9 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now that all of the defensive calcs are out of the way, let’s look at the options you have to revenge kill Miraidon.

252 Atk Orichalcum Pulse Koraidon Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Miraidon: 356-422 (104.3 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-Attack Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Miraidon: 337-398 (98.8 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Iron Bundle Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Miraidon: 254-300 (74.4 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tera Ice Iron Bundle Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Miraidon: 340-400 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Miraidon: 270-320 (79.1 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Tera Ice Chien-Pao Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Miraidon: 360-428 (105.5 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Miraidon: 488-576 (143.1 - 168.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Miraidon: 369-437 (108.2 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Miraidon: 369-437 (91.5 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Miraidon: 422-500 (104.7 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Tera Ice Iron Bundle Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Miraidon: 340-400 (84.3 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Tera Ice Chien-Pao Ice Shard vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Miraidon: 360-428 (89.3 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Miraidon: 492-578 (122 - 143.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-Attack Psycho Boost vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Miraidon: 337-398 (83.6 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Orichalcum Pulse Koraidon Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Miraidon: 360-426 (89.3 - 105.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

With the double dance set at 248 HP, Flutter Mane & Iron Bundle now require Specs to OHKO Miraidon, and many of the other guaranteed OHKOs dropped to 2HKOs or to rolls. This isn’t taking into account the effects of Electric Seed, which allows Miraidon to live all of the physical attacks from Zacian, Koraidon, and Chien-Pao. This also isn’t considering Tera, which enables Miraidon to completely switch its weaknesses and freely set up on previous checks.

Looking at Miraidon in a vacuum, everything I’ve said above holds true and looks to total to an insurmountable presence both in the builder and during the game. Its defensive checks aren’t (usually) long term and its offensive checks struggle to beat it based on the set its running or the Tera it uses. However, I’m of the opinion that in spite of all of this, Miraidon isn’t ban worthy.

I'm going to start with the double dance set since those were the last calcs displayed. Once it has set up, double dance Miraidon can be a very difficult mon to check, at least until Electric Terrain runs out. Without the additional boost provided by the Terrain, Miraidon is much more manageable, and it needs to spend at least 2 turns clicking Agility & Calm Mind to reach those difficult-to-manage levels in the first place, 2 turns of terrain that it has to burn. Even then, the Spdef Ground types serve to answer this variant of Miraidon pretty well, either by phazing it or clicking Toxic. This is without mentioning that Miraidon is rarely given the opportunity to freely set up to a level to sweep an entire team. Even if it does get to that level, Ho-Oh can come in, use its Tera (the two most common in Fairy or Ground allow it to beat this set) and phaze it. I realize in practice it's often not this simple, but a lot of the time I've seen Miraidon able to click Agility into Calm Mind and proceed to sweep a team it was because their opponent misplayed and let the Miraidon freely set up. It can be difficult to stay in on an unrevealed Miraidon set to attempt to phaze it but going into a Spdef Ground type isn't a game losing play against Miraidon, and this Miraidon set in particular cannot threaten to OHKO them and cannot prevent Toxic/Whirlwind from Clod/Glisc/Ting. If you opt to drop the Spdef Ground then your team is probably more offensive, and a 308 speed Miraidon likely isn’t being given the opportunity to click Agility unless its behind screens.

A few of the pro-ban arguments I’ve seen mention how the defensive checks like Clodsire & Ting-Lu make no progress in the game, essentially switching into Miraidon to take a Draco and then getting forced out by Ho-Oh, Gliscor, etc, which, while true, ignores their ability to set hazards, spread Toxic, or otherwise make progress passively. They don’t make immediate progress, but I disagree with them just being sponges that exist to check Miraidon. It’s important to take into account the long-term effect of the hazards they set up if nothing else. If Miraidon happens to be running a Specs set, the single spike that Ting-Lu is able to set up will work to put it in range of any number of Scarf users or revenge killers like Ekiller that previously were unable to revenge it from full. Further, everything I’ve said about Miraidon above is ignoring the opportunity cost that inherently comes with clicking Draco Meteor or an Electric type attack. Want to break past that Clodsire? You’ll need to click Draco in order to do that, leaving you at -2 Spatk and allowing any mon to come in and start to set up on you. But wait, your opponent actually went into Ho-Oh to take the Draco and doubled into Clodsire to take the incoming Electro Drift. Now you’ve achieved essentially nothing and you’re forced to either pivot out or risk taking half your HP to prevent hazards from going up. Having a Ground type on your team is enough to, at worst, force a 50/50 for the Miraidon user, and given that many of the typical hazard setters are Ground mons, I don’t see this "need" as being overly constraining in the builder.

Another part to the pro-ban argument is that most of the Spdef Ground types wouldn’t be used if Miraidon was no longer in the tier, and I can’t really see that happening. Despite the addition of Boots last gen, hazard stacking has taken on a great deal of prevalence due to the nonexistence of good removal. Corviknight & Giratina are the only real reliable Defoggers, and both have a multitude of issues preventing them from being used, of which Miraidon is only one. Likewise, if you want to use Rapid Spin you’re limited to Treads, Tusk, and Terapagos, and I very much doubt that any of the three will start to see a huge increase in usage if Miraidon is removed from the tier (if anything Treads will just completely disappear). Where does that leave us for hazards? For the most part, with Ground types like Gliscor, Ting-Lu, Clodsire, and Groudon for Spikes and Arceus forms for Stealth Rock (and of course with Deoxys for both). I don't see Magearna or Diancie start to pick up in usage as a result of a Miraidon ban, so the main users of Spikes will most likely remain the same, but I don’t really want to speculate too much on a metagame without Miraidon in it because there are too many ways it could go. Who knows, Ogerpon might pick up in usage and start running a Spikes pivot set. As for running Spdef over Def investment, Miraidon isn't the only mon Spdef sets are useful for. Spdef Groundceus can set up on support Arceus-Water by running a Spdef set and can beat Kyogre if it uses Tera, two things it can't do with a phys Def set. Similarly, Ting-Lu appreciates the added bulk to check Calm Mind Arceus forms, and Clodsire uses it to check Kyogre. Regardless, I don’t see Ground types disappearing just because they aren’t “needed” to check Miraidon anymore.

Since I’ve mostly looked at the interactions with the Boots & double dance sets, I want to take a look at the interactions with the Specs set. The Miraidon user is always going to be forced into deciding between Draco, Drift, and U-Turn/Volt Switch if the opposing team has a Ground type, and if they guess wrong then they have to switch out and give up momentum. If Miraidon clicks Draco on the Ground type and chips it then the Miraidon user has to decide between clicking Draco again to secure the KO or switching out to prevent a Fairy type from coming in freely or, worse, a mon from getting a free turn against a -4 Miraidon. The end result is either the Ground type healing itself on that turn, the Ground type being KO'd and a mon being given a free turn vs a -4 Miraidon, or a Fairy type coming in to take advantage of the choice locked Miraidon. Specs Miraidon is without a doubt an incredibly potent wallbreaker, but I've never felt it's so overbearing as to be constraining in the builder when most of the time it's clicking Draco and giving an opportunity for a Fairy type, or a mon that can set up on it, to come in freely. It’s not like the Fairy types in the tier are bad either, even if two of them no longer have the same presence they did in DLC1, so I’ll discuss them next.

With the return of Ho-Oh and NDM, I’ve seen it said that both Zacian & Flutter Mane have dropped off in terms of offensive presence. I agree with this for the most part, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as most people believe. Zacian has the ability to power through both Ho-Oh and NDM without being forced to run a suboptimal move set, and Flutter Mane can threaten Ho-Oh with Power Gem (though admittedly as a result the Specs set is far less potent). I’ll never claim DLC2 didn’t hurt them, but both are still very strong offensive presences within the tier and I’ve taken to running Zacian on more of my DLC2 teams recently. Even if you are running Zacian or Flutter Mane, what’s to stop Miraidon from using its Tera and winning the 1v1? First, Miraidon needs hazards up to guarantee the OHKO (with its pivot set) on Flutter & Zacian, both of which threaten the OHKO and force the Miraidon user to Tera if they’re committed to that line. Assuming the Miraidon Teras into Steel for the biggest defensive boost, and assuming the Zacian isn’t clicking Tera Fighting Close Combat, the Miraidon will be left with at most ~65% from Zacian and ~73% from Flutter Mane.

+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tera Steel Miraidon: 122-144 (35.7 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Steel Miraidon: 92-109 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

While this lets Miraidon win the 1v1, suddenly it’s both chipped and can no longer threaten to change its type, allowing the opponent to revenge it with Low Kick from Scarf Koraidon for example. The greatest asset Miraidon has is its uncertainty in set and Tera. Once the set is revealed, and this can be as simple as setting hazards, it can be played around much easier, and once the Tera has been used, by it or another mon, suddenly revenge killing it is fairly easy when the guessing factor has been removed. Of course, the Zacian/Flutter/other offensive check has the ability to Tera as well, and it’s the same with other defensive mons like Ho-Oh. Tera Ground Ho-Oh is a fantastic Miraidon check and it’s not like it only runs it for Miraidon either. Ground provides Ho-Oh with a resistance to Rock, allowing it to Whirlwind a setup Groundceus/NDM while avoiding the OHKO from Stone Edge. Similarly, Arceus-Fairy or Groundceus can Tera into the other immunity and get a free turn vs Miraidon. Both players are able to Tera, and properly accounting for Miraidon in the builder is just as essential as it is to account for Koraidon or NDM. I’ve never felt that Miraidon “warps the builder” to an unbearable level, at least not any more than other meta defining mons in this gen and past gens.

Like the survey results show, this metagame isn’t SS. SS was characterized by its stability and that’s fine, I still really enjoy playing it. SV is much more dynamic, and I don’t see that changing regardless of what, if anything, gets banned. Tera is an inherently dynamic mechanic, and the power level of this gen is way beyond what we were used to in SS. Offensive teams might be favored, but there’s still plenty of other options to use; no one is forced into running offense and offense alone. There’s a lot more counterplay to Miraidon both in the builder and during the game than people seem to believe, and hopefully I was able to shine some light on why I will be voting to not ban Miraidon.

Main team I used for reqs

Mirai is unquestionably a top tier Pokemon in Ubers. It has a variety of sets and tools at its disposal, all with their own unique strengths and weaknesses. Mirai is a Pokemon you certainly have to be mindful of in the builder and in battle. However, I feel many of the arguments presented in this thread are painting an unrealistic picture of how Mirai influences the team builder and in game play. From reading several pro ban arguments posted thus far, a good number of them appear to make Mirai sound like an insurmountable force freely zipping into and out of games with minimal to no repercussions. From my experience playing, watching, and building (DLC2 included), this feels far from the truth. Practical examples are always better than theoretical ones, so let's take a look at some games from UWC below. I decided to go through one full week of game play, selecting week 5 as it's relatively recent in terms of metagame representation. I also added the first few replays of week 6 for additional content.

Luispeikou vs Beleth - Luispeikou's Mirai ends up switching into Arceus Water and taking good chip from SR and ice beam on turn 6 and further chips down a Ting Lu which took damage earlier from Ho-Oh. Luis gets a lucky break on turn 14 as Beleth's Arceus-Water gets paralyzed, which would have likely scored a kill on the incoming Mirai otherwise. Luis kills Beleth's 23% Ting Lu and then gets revenge killed by Korai. Luis ends up winning here, although Mirai's overall influence on the victory is questionable.

Javi vs RichardMillePlain - Rich lays down SR and uses Mirai to force a Ting Lu switch in as he reads this and doubles into Chien Pao in response. Javi himself reads the SD and phazes, which were nice calls on both ends here. Rich's Zacian comes in and pressures Javi's team a great deal, scoring several kills after an SD and having the right coverage move to force progress vs a common check in NDM. Javi's Mirai is offensively limited in this game and ends up dying to a clutch Sash from Chien Pao. At this point, Rich has the game sealed up and his own Mirai does very little to contribute to the win overall.

Raceding vs Skyiew - Race's Mirai ends up getting burned and taking solid chip from Ho-Oh by turn 3 and gets further damaged by Sky's Korai on turn 12, ending up at 22% and dying shortly after, doing much of nothing this game for Race. Sky ends up forcing insane progress vs Race's team with Calyrex-I and wins the game. Sky's own Mirai did little to contribute to this win other than dropping one Draco to wrap things up.

dragonitenb vs A plague doc - By the time plague's Mirai forces NDM to go for a Tera Ground on turn 20, his opponent was very behind, with much of that being for reasons unrelated to Mirai itself. This could have easily ended up going south for plague if NDM had Sunsteel Strike to kill Tera Fairy Ho-Oh and potentially threaten to win the game from there, but this wasn't the case here. Mirai's influence on this game was largely unimpressive.

LouisIX vs wssi - Mirai does nothing in this game other than serve as a sac to Last Respects after Louis goes to town with NDM.

MAHOH vs avarice - Mirai ends up being Scarf and stops webs from going up. Mirai later ends up going for a Volt Switch vs a NDM as Tera Ground is revealed and allows several boosts to accumulate, leading to MAHOH being very much punished for the choice lock and losing the game in the end as NDM goes on a rampage.

lepton vs tier - Good performance from lepton's Mirai, abusing webs to force great progress vs tier's team, which is at a large disadvantage offensively with webs on the field.

Frito vs justdrew - Frito's Mirai trades itself vs Glimmora, which often tries to counter lead Ribombee. Despite these efforts, Frito ends up losing the game and Mirai's influence on the match is negligible.

skierdude101 vs OreoSpeedruns - Oreo's Mirai is hampered by webs and is unable to set up safely, getting put down by Ribombee's Moonblast, with a Sucker Punch waiting in the back if needed. Skier's Mirai did nothing too game breaking in this game, with Oreo being heavily behind and a position largely impossible to recover from by the time Skier brings in his Mirai again.

sapphiree vs Kate - Mirai isn't zipping around freely taking the reigns and controlling the tempo of this game. By the time Kate brings it in, the opponent's team is already largely defeated. Mirai does end up getting the final two kills to win and clean up the game, but largely due to reasons unrelated to itself. Various Pokemon could have ended this game in Mirai's position here.

Manaphy vs S-Matrix - Good performance from Mirai on both ends here, with Matrix's scoring a nice kill on a boosted NDM, which could have otherwise spun further out of control. Manaphy ends up winning with their own double dance Mirai, which benefits a good deal from the defense raise given by Electric Seed to ease the interaction vs NDM. It would be interesting to see how this would have played out if Matrix went to Arceus Fairy first (assuming CM) and went for a boosting war route.

Colteor vs Raptor - Rare Espathra appearance and sweep. Hard to say how much Miraidon would've done in these offensive matchups.

Amukamara vs Edgar - Mirai doesn't have the easiest time coming in this game, clicking U-turn once prior to cleaning up Edgar with two kills to end the game. Edgar's team is largely weakened by hazards and he decides to sac his Gliscor vs Calyrex-I rather than opting for other potentially safer options to ease his end game positioning and routes. This allows Mirai to win the game, although I can't confidently say this is because of its own doing or a game state other threats couldn't have abused just as effectively.

myjava vs Quinn - Fair view of the influence Mirai can have in matchups where teams are largely balance oriented with slow pacing, U-turning around and positioning itself to make progress. End game comes down to a well timed Tera Ghost by Quinn's Mirai, which is a common tactic on several Pokemon to check SD Arceus Normal. Quinn misses Draco and a tie to lose an otherwise won game.

pichus vs Drud - Drud's Mirai takes early chip from Kyogre (common scenario) as pichus makes a nice read, staying in vs a U-turn to reverse the momentum and force further progress onto Drud's team. Drud brings Mirai back in to revenge Kyogre and ends up being forced to switch again. Drud's Mirai comes back in on turn 23 and misses a Draco vs Gliscor, which takes 83% the following turn and kills back with EQ. While the miss is unfortunate, I would argue pichus was in a good enough position with ample resources to win this game from there given the information shown. No ground breaking performance from Mirai here overall.

skimmythegod vs Kipkluif - Another offense vs offense game where Miraidon leads off vs Glimmora and ends up getting chipped down by Mud Shot and allowing rocks, being down -1 speed after This allows Kip to comfortably revenge Mirai and set the offensive pace from there, ultimately muscling through skimmy's team. Kip's own Mirai did little to contribute to this win.

etern vs Nyx - Nyx's Mirai does nothing other than serve as a sac to Korai on turn 20. Nyx's team, however, is unable to keep up with the pressure exerted by Eternally's double bike combo and folds to repeated STAB hits from the two.

etern vs Luispeikou - Double webs up on the field, with Mirai losing a tie vs a Korai which uses up Tera to possibly tank a likely incoming SE move and kill back with Scale. Mirai itself does nothing in this game and whether it would have changed the outcome of this game if the tie was won is questionable.

Stallion vs seroo - Nothing super impressive by the Mirai here, scoring some luck via a Snarl miss and a CH vs an incoming Ting Lu, setting Stallion behind a little although also showing the downsides and vulnerability passive teams have when factors like this come into play.

Aberforth vs Javi - Mirai gets one U-turn and one Electro off, neither of which make significant progress vs Aber's team, which ends up winning comfortably in a well played and positioned game by him, where he has two team members highly threatened by Mirai (Corv and Kyogre).

Trade vs Ina fable - Trade's Mirai does little here, being well checked by a special defensive Arceus Ground , which proceeds to chip an incoming Korai attempting to SD and resulting in a refreshing and creative tech being revealed (Custap Sturdy Archaludon) to limit a sweep. No real progress by Mirai in this game.

In the grand scheme of things, I acknowledge this is only a small sample of overall games. Going through more would be excessive and time consuming. I skimmed many more replays and while there are those where Mirai has its moments, a large number of them had many of the same common patterns shown in these games. I feel we can glean several important pieces of information just from going through these batch of replays.
  1. Yes, the majority of these teams have Ground types, with common choices being Ting Lu, Gliscor, Clodsire, and Arceus Ground. Mirai is certainly one of the primary reasons for this. Is this unreasonable, though? Incorporating a Ground type has been a fundamental aspect of team building across many generations, generally bringing many key characteristics to a team. The same goes for Fairy types. Claiming Mirai is the sole reason these Pokemon are being used is a very hard sell in my eyes. Ubers, and SV as a generation, is very low on entry hazard removal (Sticky Webs included), which all of these Pokemon can lay down quite well on top of offering their own unique resistances, immunity to key moves, status options, and win condition potential in Arceus Ground's case. To say Mirai is creating a hazard driven metagame feels dishonest. Should Mirai go, it's hard to believe the player base will simply ditch these Pokemon. Sure, they may not be entirely perfect answers to Mirai. However, they do more than enough to deter and limit its options in practice through presence alone, as seen in several replays above. You can easily argue these Pokemon actually improve in Mirai's absence and will have an easier time performing their roles, no longer having to fear having chunks of their health directly taken away from a powerful STAB.
  2. Is Mirai really swerving in and out of games as freely as claimed? I don't see it. Sure, if your team is passive, reactionary, and lacks the tools to directly threaten Mirai, you're going to be bullied hard and struggle to bring Mirai down from full health. In many of these replays, you are seeing Mirai take direct damage from many Pokemon that are in their own way hard to handle, examples being Kyogre, Ho-Oh, and Arceus Water to name a few. Yes, Mirai does have nice resistances to types like Water and Fire. However, this can directly work against you. It is not uncommon for the Mirai player to want to swap in on these hits and either take respectable chip from a resisted or SE coverage move the attacking Pokemon is carrying. Taking this damage limits Mirai's options and does indeed create scenarios where you are suddenly finding yourself in range of priority or unable to risk coming into Pokemon you'd otherwise threaten.
  3. Can Mirai U-turn out of a check and bring in something to threaten you after? Certainly. Is this a concept unique to Mirai? Not at all, this spans generations. When you are team building, accounting for potential Mirai partners and how you will respond is key. Let's say Mirai clicks U-turn as you bring in Ting Lu and the opponent swaps into a Calyrex-I. Are you all of a sudden doomed? Unless you have no semblance of a check, maybe. For the sake of an example, let's say you have a Kyogre to check the incoming Glacial Lance. Your Kyogre is now on the field and can offensively threaten the opposing team back with moves notoriously hard to answer, possibly even forcing Mirai to come back in and take damage as mentioned prior. It's a game of exchanges and positioning yourself offensively, defensively, while making reads is a nice dynamic in Ubers and Pokemon in general. Mirai is one of many Pokemon in this tier encouraging the player to think intelligently about their decisions and in my eyes does so in a manner that's not game breaking or unreasonably unhealthy.
  4. Tera is definitely used well by Mirai to reduce revenge killing options or facilitate a sweep. This applies to many other Pokemon and I fail to see how Mirai abuses the mechanic in a manner beyond reason. Again, this is a game of exchanges. There is always opportunity cost for both the Mirai user and the opponent. In several replays we see Mirai come in and try to revenge kill Pokemon like NDM, only to get punished and run into a well timed Tera Ground and get boosted on and in danger of being swept. There are examples where Mirai expends its Tera and can no longer use its resistances to check threats it'd otherwise be able to, forcing you to alter your game play and struggle to bring Mirai in. There are scenarios where Mirai uses its Tera while the other player has yet to use theirs, which can very often be a disadvantage. Don't get me wrong, there are also many situations where Mirai uses its Tera and threatens to clean up or at the very least benefit largely from changing typing. However, these are all dynamics that aren't exclusive to Mirai itself and these exchanges are equally as applicable to other threats in the tier.
  5. It can't be argued against that Mirai has many viable sets. Discerning which one you are facing isn't always easy and can definitely end up biting you in the behind if you make the wrong call. While each set Mirai can run is strong in their own way, they are not without downside. Sets without HDB leave you prone to hazard chip, which limits your ability to come in offensively and defensively. Choice sets suffer from being locked into STAB moves with common immunities or after using Draco and being in an abusable -2 state, which can create dangerous set up opportunities for other threats as some replays have shown. When using HDB sets, you can find yourself in situations where the lack of firepower works against you, an example being failing to 2HKO Clodsire and having to make the decision to risk taking an EQ on a potential Taunt or U-turn and possibly allow them to heal back up. CM and double dance sets are dangerous, although take longer to get going, are far from immediately game ending, and aren't always straightforward to set up and create paths for. These sets all come with their risk and rewards, equal in nature in my opinion.
  6. Yes, DLC2 introduced Ho-Oh and NDM, which Mirai threatens well. Again though, this tier isn't a one way street. Those two Pokemon can easily threaten Mirai in their own way. A NDM example was already provided prior. Mirai isn't coming into Ho-Oh freely and also has to be mindful of Tera Grass or Tera Ground possibilities when going up against it, which are very fair ways to keep Mirai in check while maintaining utility after. Arguments mentioning Zacian being less effective as a revenge killer to Mirai now compared to DLC1 due to their presence is fair, although also ignore the possibility of Ho-Oh and NDM being prone to coverage moves like Wild Charge or Crunch, which we have seen in replays above. It's not entirely risk free and these dynamics aren't always in Mirai's favor like some arguments claim.
I find Mirai to be an appropriate inclusion to the nature, pacing, and power level of SV Ubers overall. This tier and generation as a whole is offensive/aggressive in nature, and Ubers is a great example of that. In a vacuum and on paper, Mirai can seem unreal to handle. In practice, this is very debatable. There are ample ways to limit Mirai offensively while also having the available defensive checks to keep it at bay for enough time. This is a tier where you simply can't check everything perfectly throughout the course of a game, and Mirai isn't the only example of this in Ubers. I have never felt "forced" to include Ting Lu and company on my builds simply for Mirai when more proactive solutions are just as effective. This is an intricate tier where you need to put a good amount of thought into how you set tempo and force progress from the very first turn, and I don't think Mirai influences these dynamics in a manner that's excessive or unreasonable relative to the remainder of the tier. I will be voting No Ban.

Last edited:
Have played Ubers since gen 5, miraidon does not feel any more overwhelming than kyogre, ekiller or other previously meta-defining threats. Miraidon can use many different sets, but the counterplay is similar and are good pokes in themselves

Why keep miraidon:
- Lack of spatk options - without mirai other options would be kyogre, kyurem-w, origin palkia, arc forms/eternatus/gira-o (bulky spatk). None can fulfil the same role/speed tier/damage output as mirai, which leads to a physical atk dominated tier (many teams already run mirai with 5 phys atkers)
- Positive impact in teambuilder - can act as a glue/role compression for many teams, as you can tailor it to pivot, support, do damage/good coverage depending on what your team needs
- Positive impact on meta - Enables your other physical attackers by threatening physical walls eg tank ho-oh, lando T, dondozo, phys def groudon, phys def wisp arc forms
- Not broken - miraidon has no set which "just wins", it needs good team support, each set has significant weaknesses, and is checked by multiple, viable pokes in the tier (which many have already listed. FYI, double ground + zacian c in particular ruins mirai's day)

Playing vs miraidon:
The team setup + the damage on your initial switch tells you a lot about the set
Setup mirai - More common on screens/HO teams. I usually saw dual stab + agility/CM/taunt; they can only have 2 out of 3 support moves and don't have the power of LO/specs especially if running dpulse or parabolic. They also can't get CM and agility in the same turn so you have a few turns to switch/get chip/revenge
Specs - blows something up but as long as you have ground/tera ground + fairy/tera fairy every turn is a 50/50 unless they wanna u-turn and get chipped by spikes. Also can't raw draco on bulky arc cos they just recover scout
Scarf/Boots - has a lot of trouble to break bulky ground types especially ting lu/clod/arc ground that can repeatedly take dracos and recover/make progress, so any 50/50 is favouring the bulky ground user. If boots, revenged by scarf pokes; if scarf, slowly gets chipped by hazards since its forced to switch around a lot
LO - writing this cos i saw a lot of tera electric LO while getting reqs; good balance between specs power and not being choiced, but usually runs dual stab/pivot move/taunt. LO and hazard damage really adds up fast, mirai user is on a timer to click big damage button because if they u turn they do sad damage and take 10% LO + 12% if hazards are up. Revenge killed by prio and scarf, especially if they taunt into an attack.

Voting DO NOT BAN
To everyone laddering, gl with reqs!

Time has come to give my thoughts about Miraidon. I got reqs a few days ago and I've also been following the posts in this thread, thereby getting a pretty good image on what people's stance on this matter is for the most part. I want to use this post to address some of the points people have tried to get across. Needless to say, this is mainly my perspective and how I look at these topics.

The first subject I want to address is the general notions about Miraidon and the impact it has in the builder on paper. I won't say anything that hasn't been said before on this matter. Miraidon demands for you to use a Ground-type that is heavily invested in Sp.Def in order to sponge hits from both Draco Meteor while being immune to Electro Drift. Nevertheless, this statement only applies under very specific scenarios. I firmly believe that the most frequent way in which this applies is if you are trying to run a balanced team that focuses more on the defensive side or on a very passive team. The more offensive your team is, the least likely it is for it to lose momentum and you'll often find that running any Ground type in order to halt Miraidon despite not being able to tank a Draco Meteor can go a long way. After all, offensive teams have a far easier time getting momentum back than balance or stall does, in this meta at least.

If you want concrete examples about these structures, I can provide one below:

https://pokepast.es/5631c74df89a7904

Take this cookie-cutter Double Bike-Double Steel Offense. Landorus-T is the sole Ground-type on that team and no pokemon has a Tera type that resists Electric other than Zacian, who is Tera-Electric. Nevertheless, that team does not have a hard time against Miraidon solely based on the premise that it is always hard for Miraidon to effectively pick the proper STAB move. Even clicking Draco Meteor on Landorus-T can have huge drawbacks and can completely shift the game in Offense's favor. If Landorus stays in and gets OHKOd, Zacian or even Necrozma can get a lot out of Miraidon being at -2, regardless of the opposing Miraidon's team composition, you get momentum and you control the field.

The next topic I want to touch upon is that SV Ubers is a hazard-driven metagame, but not because of Miraidon. While it merely is conjecture, I don't think that with Miraidon gone, the metagame would be any less hazard driven. Hazards being present in many balanced and passive structures is something as old as time, and it just so happens that a lot of Ground-types got access to Spikes this gen, as is the case with Gliscor, Clodsire and Ting-Lu. The reason behind why hazards have such a centralizing impact on this meta specifically is because many of the more reliable Defog users Ubers had in the past either don't exist in this gen (Yveltal) or lost access to it (Arceus & Ho-Oh). This leaves reliable hazard removal coming down to 1-2 mons. Regardless, this is not adjacent to Miraidon's presence. Sure, you can say Ting-Lu's usage is higher because of Miraidon, but it just so happens that Ting-Lu has far more free turns whenever he is not facing a Miraidon.

The pokemon which people claim are not good at all are actually better when you remove Miraidon out of the equation, mainly because they are passive pokemon and, more than anything, Miraidon in practice feeds off and bullies passive teams. When facing Miraidon, these Pokemon have less chances to set hazards up, when they are not, it's possible they are able to set them up more efficiently due to the lack of pressure they would otherwise have facing it, this is obviously depending on the team they are facing but we are talking about the matchup against Miraidon specifically.

There is also a trope going on where this metagame is essentially matchup-based and therefore luck is an inherent factor of the current metagame. This is something I disagree with. In my opinion, for a tier to be matchup-based to the degree where you are playing rock-paper-scissors when picking teams, it needs to be a meta in which top pokemon can only be beaten by a certain style and said style is prey for a third style. This is not the case for SV and Miraidon does not have such an effect. You don't need to run a specific style to beat Miraidon, and there are other strong pokemon that can break bulky structures with even less effort (see Rayquaza). Not going to expand more on this for the moment but, the gist of it is that any playstyle can beat any playstyle if built correctly.

Before I go into into details about how Miraidon behaves in battle and whatnot, there is another topic I want to touch upon, that is the premise that there is an overcrowded 405 speed tier, therefore games being more prone to being decided by speed ties. There are 4 main pokemon with 135 base speed: Koraidon, Miraidon, Flutter Mane and Chien-Pao. Koraidon more often than not uses a Choice Scarf, Chien-Pao is more often seen relying on priority moves such as Ice Shard and Sucker Punch in order to avoid this problem, and Flutter Mane is mainly paired alongside Koraidon as its Protosynthesis speed boost is mainly taken into account. In fact, I'd argue that Scarf Koraidon vs Scarf Koraidon speed tie is the most common scenario you'll find if that point were to be valid enough. Miraidon itself holding a choice scarf is not much different than any other pokemon doing so, it has different implications but they aren't much different to what the implications of scarfed Koraidon are.

Moving along to how Miraidon works in battle, several people have provided great, detailed examples on how some of its sets work. as well as general examples on how you can approach a Miraidon match-up in many circumstances, At its core, the general approach on how to deal with Miraidon at this point hasn't changed since post-HOME. The only thing that has changed is that there is now a bigger pool of pokemon to pick from in the builder.

Some of the common statements regarding Miraidon's pivotting set is that it has a good amount of longevity, and is able to constantly threaten teams and last all game long in many cases. Speaking from experience, I find this hard to be the case. More often than not, Miraidon is forced to come in to pivot into pokemon it can directly threaten back. You will commonly see Miraidon switching-in on Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire (risking a 50% chance of burn), Kyogre's Origin Pulse or Ice Beam, and even Flare Blitz from Scarf Koraidon and Electro Drift from opposng Miraidon in order to force a Draco Meteor from it and position a different pokemon. The scenarios where Miraidon hasn't taken enough chip to be revenge killed by any pokemon at later stages of the game are very scarce and have more to do with how active Miraidon was throughout the game, an active Miraidon will probably not be at full by the end of the game and a Miraidon that had a scarce presence probably will be.

Miraidon is often better threatened offensively. A pokemon that can threaten with a faster attack will most likely do the job if the conditions are right. Regardless of what the opponent's team composition is, Zacian-C will always threaten to OHKO all non-Electric Seed Miraidon with Play Rough, unless it uses Tera and can directly OHKO Zacian back in the case of using Overheat or holding Specs or Life Orb. Zacian-C will never die from full from raw Electro Drift even after 1 Stealth Rock switch-in. Other pokemon that are faster and may be able to threaten after some chip damage are Iron Bundle, Deoxys-A (LO has a big chance of OHKOing with Psycho Boost), Flutter Mane and priority users like Chien-Pao and Extremekiller Arceus, not to mention pokemon like Scarf Koraidon who can do it once Miraidon has revealed it is not Scarfed. With having established that it is fairly easy to get prior damage on Miraidon, I'd say that dealing with it offensively is more than doable.

The last point I want to touch upon about how Miraidon works in practice is its versatility. In general, just because a pokemon has a large movepool doesn't mean it is omnipotent. There is not one set of Miraidon that can do everything at once. Miraidon essentially has to drop one of its tools to do one thing or the other. It has to drop Taunt and U-Turn and coverage for the Double Dance set, or Calm Mind and coverage for the pivotting set to be effective. It is not so hard to be assertive about its sets once you see them on the spot. Non-Boots sets will always take hazard damage, and when you see the Electric Seed pop-up you'll realize what type of set it is and play accordingly. it is not based entirely on assumptions and guesses.

I strongly believe Miraidon is a healthy presence in the metagame. There are many inherent factors that maintain SV as a dynamic metagame, a perceived lack of stability does not mean a metagame is uncompetitive. A metagame where you are forced to be proactive in battle rather than approach things theoretically is not by any means bad either. These are some of the most representative aspects of SV Ubers and Miraidon fits perfectly in such a metagame, which is why I will be voting Do Not Ban.

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Miraidon's strain on the teambuilder goes far beyond what I consider healthy for any Ubers Metagame. This single line will define why I am voting to Ban Miraidon, and if you want the TL:DR of the rest of this post, its there above you.

Speaking entirely subjectively, I have not enjoyed SV Ubers for well over a year at this point, I find the metagame incredibly volatile and unstable, and that is reflected in the survey results. We are barely averaging above a 5/10 in response to the question "Does the better player win more often than not?". To me, that is almost entirely unacceptable for an official tier to receive, and means that something needs to change to try to influence the meta into a more stable and playable position, especially with the recent news that Ubers will be added to the trophy version of World Cup. Is Miraidon entirely to blame for the problems I feel this Ubers generation has? No, of course not. But it is one of the most influential factors behind the metagame that is, according to all survey results I can find and my own subjective biases from playing the tier, the least stable Ubers metagame we've had.

Miraidon's presense in the teambuilder exerts massive pressure on opposing non-offensive teams due to the extent to which Miraidon feasts on passive styles without highly specific forms of counterplay, most of which are not reliable in the long run. As a result, the team styles feel incredibly rigid in their formation, and to me this makes teambuilding in this tier both boring and un-fun. While there is a certain level of creativity still present, especially with things like Tera optimisations, I have not enjoyed building in this World Cup at all, because trying to build teams that feel like they have reasonable counterplay to all manner of threats has not really been possible. Obviously you can never counter everything in the builder, but there have been numerous teams I have scrapped simply because it felt like I had no reasonable counterplay to a common and relevant threat (ie: SD Koraidon, CM Pivot Miraidon, Zacian-C), and could not change the structure such that a counterplay option was available to said threat without opening up a bigger hole, normally to a Miraidon. As such, I've used HO more often that I'd have liked to, and in one of those HO games I ran into a matchup I similarly felt was close to unwinnable from team preview, against another type of HO.

For a good balance team, it effectively needs a specially bulky ground type, the likes of which have never been regularly used before in Ubers (aside from ORAS Primal Groudon, where Groudon's Ground type is not the reason for it being used), along with a secondary check to absorb Draco Meteors, a Tera-Type as a panic button, and something that can outspeed and threaten Miraidon from high health. After you've covered all these things (by combinations like Ting Lu, Fairyceus, a tera type on Ho-oh/Kyogre and Zacian/Scarf Koraidon), you have effectively two slots to play around with for offensive or defensive creativity, while still having significant threats that need counterplay added like Zacian-C, Ekiller, Groundceus and opposing Kyogres. The strain the single mon Miraidon exerts is not comparable to any threat we have seen to balance builds since SS Zacian-C/H and the double regen + NDM cores. This is also ignoring the incredible adaptability Miraidon has available to it. No defensive checks to Miraidon actually stand up to it effectively in practice, with sets like Life Orb Solar Beam, Agility Weakness Policy, Boots Taunt U-Turn and Scarf all popping up to utterly destroy common forms of Miraidon counterplay, and all winning games in World Cup against teams that are, on paper, pretty stacked against Miraidon.

This means Miraidon is almost always going to be answered offensively, and while that isnt always a bad thing (I think thats 90% of how you should handle Kyogre), in practice I do think this goes too far in restricting the available counterplay to Miraidon, especially because of its speed. There are only two regularly used Pokemon that naturally outspeed it (in Scarf Koraidon and Zacian-C), and a handful of sporadic offensive checks that also manage to (Iron Bundle, Deo-A). Of these checks, two do not OHKO Miraidon with their current most common sets (3 attacks SD Zacian and Boots Iron Bundle). As such, we're seeing a greater-than-normal presence of HO and other extremely volatile team structures that lead to volatile and swingy game states. Again, this isnt all on Miraidon, things like Koraidon, Zacian, the nerf to recovery and Tera all play significant parts here, but for me personally, something has to give, and Miraidon is the largest contributor of the individual factors to the metagame I am currently dissatisfied with.

In battle, Miraidon is not as overwhelming as the other things that have been banned to AG before. I dont think this is controversial, and I dont think anybody disagrees with it. However, I do think that its impact on a game to game basis is being minimised in the thread. Just earlier today, we had a Tera Fairy Agility Miraidon basically end a HO team by itself, and last week saw multiple games of Miraidon making decisive impacts on games like Nyx vs 3d and Reje vs Amukamara. And these were games where, on paper, the counterplay to Miraidon was there. Reje forfeited with his last mon being a Clodsire that was shut down from doing its job effectively by a Taunt U-Turn Miraidon, after he lost his Ho-oh out of fear of the Specs Miraidon Draco Meteor 2HKO'ing his only electric immunity. For every example of Miraidon doing not much in a game, there's an Entro vs 7MM where it just sweeps in a lategame environment. Other Pokemon can do this, of course, but I think it is disingenuous to claim that Miraidon is not potent in the actual games too. It remains an incredible threat in game as well, and can largely be tailored in the builder to exactly what its team needs it to break.

I do understand people who do not want to vote ban on Miraidon, it is certainly not as ridiculous as the other Pokemon we have banned to AG. But it is a level above anything we currently have offensively, and I do not believe it is a healthy part of the tier. It literally has more bulk, speed and firepower than Mega Rayquaza, which is to date the only thing that Ubers has banned without a suspect test to determine its final placement. Is it as good as Mega Ray, no, but that is the point of comparison my mind keeps coming back to. It hits harder, is faster, and is bulkier. And I do not believe that it is a healthy presence in the metagame for the tier as a whole.

Ultimately, for me, Miraidon is too much for the tier and I will personally be voting ban and implore people to do so as well. It is consistently good in regular in game scenarios, but the pressure it places on teambuilding is unmatched and is a large contributor to the least stable Ubers Metagame I can remember. I think this metagame is in desperate need of some form of change, and I think Miraidon is the only change that would have a substantial effect on the Ubers metagames stability, and on my own personal enjoyment of it.

I think something I've seen people talk around but not speak about outright (as it's such an obvious thing) is the fact that in order to defensively check Miraidon, you bring an Electric immunity in the form of a Ground type Pokemon. No one wants to bring a Fairy type to an Electro Drift party. I think this in itself is something that should be considered when we think about whether or not we want Miraidon banned. I've read all the replies to this thread until now and I've come across compelling arguments either way for whether or not Miraidon should be banned, and I think a lot has been said about the ability of some cores/Pokemon/strategies to deal with Miraidon's impact on the tier, as well as Miraidon's own versatility and pressure that it exerts both in the teambuilder and in the game itself. That being the case, I won't rehash these various arguments. We can all make our own judgements on how much these arguments are compelling or not.

What I do want to bring attention to is three things: teambuilding, viabilities, and tier centralisation.

Teambuilding: The question I'd like to pose regarding teambuilding is this - when building a team that includes Miraidon, am I able to force my opponent to expend much more resources to address my strategy alongside Miraidon than if I replaced Miraidon with any other Pokemon? Conversely, when teambuilding, am I forced to expend much more resources to address Miraidon than if my opponent has any other Pokemon? If the answer to these two questions is yes, it's worth considering Miraidon as a problem. Think about the teambuilding process. Are you forced to EV/nature/itemise/Tera specifically for Miraidon ranges much more so than for other Pokemon? Are you forced to give up specific teamstyles that would be otherwise extremely viable simply because of Miraidon? Are you forced to run suboptimal teammates for your teamstyle because Miraidon exists? Each of these questions alone are insufficient to consider a Pokemon as problematic for the tier, but if the answer to all of them is yes, than the Pokemon is definitely a problematic existence for the tier.

Viability: This leads off from the first point. The question regarding viability is - are there Pokemon I'm seeing more often because of Miraidon? Conversely, are there Pokemon I don't see because of Miraidon? Let's take a fun example from DPP and SS - Quagsire. Normally we'd never see Quagsire in Ubers, but Water Spout Kyogre and Zacian-C were both checked by Quagsire in these respective generations of Competitive Singles. Are there Pokemon currently being used in the Ubers tier that would otherwise see little to no play if Miraidon were absent? This is why I brought up the Ground type defensive checks to Miraidon earlier. This is a sign that Pokemon generally really don't want to take an Electro Drift to the face. Are there no Pokemon that can take Miraidon's Electro Drift and do something about it? At the same time, are the Ground types in the tier being used primarily to blank an Electro Drift? If that's the case, it's a good sign that Miraidon has a significant dearth of defensive checks. On the flip side, are there otherwise viable Pokemon that Miraidon by itself suppresses? This can mean two things - either they are very vulnerable to Miraidon, or Miraidon simply outclasses them in such a way that it's simply better to use Miraidon than them. If that's the case, it's a good sign that Miraidon is leading to a lack of variety in the tier. Either of these being true means that Miraidon's offensive power is unhealthy for the tier's continued success.

Tier Centralisation: Again, this leads off from the first two points. If the majority of the answers to the above questions are yes, it's a sign that Miraidon has become an over-centralised part of the metagame and is warping the tier around it. An interesting way to think about it is this - do teams that opt out of running Miraidon perform significantly better against teams that plan around facing Miraidon? If the answer is yes, it means that teams are significantly less flexible and perform significantly worse because of Miraidon's presence in the meta, to the extent that Miraidon's absence in a given team makes it that much better against teams that put so many resources into dealing with a potential threat. This would be a significant sign of over-centralisation as well. It would mean that there are too many resources invested in managing a single Pokemon. The acute players would have caught that there appears to be a contradiction here - how could it be that you would be forced into spending much more resources on Miraidon than any other Pokemon (see Teambuilding) yet perform worse when against a team not running Miraidon? The devil is in the details - one could be forced into spending many more resources in planning for and building around addressing the Miraidon threat, yet a Miraidon-less team could absolutely and utterly exploit the holes in such teams. Such is the nature of opportunity cost. The important qualifier is that of how much, since opportunity cost is always going to exist, and teams are always going to have strengths and weaknesses. The question comes down to if Miraidon's presence is one that affects teambuilding and viability so much that not running Miraidon gives a significant advantage against teams that plan around it.

Note that this is completely different from Tier Glue, which is a concept that we can take from GSC Snorlax, ADV Tyrannitar, and Gen 7/8 Landorus-T (all OU). These are Pokemon with very high usage for the fact that they keep a certain amount of balance in the tier.

Anyway, I've said my piece. If you feel that the answers to most of these questions are yes, then there's a very good argument to be made that Miraidon should be banned. If you don't, then you might not care if it's banned or not. I will say, however, that I've seen a lot of convincing arguments that Miraidon doesn't need to be banned, but none that are convincing enough to say that Miraidon shouldn't be banned. Personally, I do think that the ban is necessary for the tier, and that Miraidon's power level is definitely at the Anything Goes level, but I don't think the ban is as clear-cut as the previous ones since the overall power level is already higher than it used to be. The guidelines and principles surrounding bans from Ubers have always been a lot less clear than bans from OU and below in any case, so we're really facing our first few significant guideline-setting conversations since the AG tier came into being.

Miraidon's strain on the teambuilder goes far beyond what I consider healthy for any Ubers Metagame. This single line will define why I am voting to Ban Miraidon, and if you want the TL:DR of the rest of this post, its there above you.

Speaking entirely subjectively, I have not enjoyed SV Ubers for well over a year at this point, I find the metagame incredibly volatile and unstable, and that is reflected in the survey results. We are barely averaging above a 5/10 in response to the question "Does the better player win more often than not?". To me, that is almost entirely unacceptable for an official tier to receive, and means that something needs to change to try to influence the meta into a more stable and playable position, especially with the recent news that Ubers will be added to the trophy version of World Cup. Is Miraidon entirely to blame for the problems I feel this Ubers generation has? No, of course not. But it is one of the most influential factors behind the metagame that is, according to all survey results I can find and my own subjective biases from playing the tier, the least stable Ubers metagame we've had.

Miraidon's presense in the teambuilder exerts massive pressure on opposing non-offensive teams due to the extent to which Miraidon feasts on passive styles without highly specific forms of counterplay, most of which are not reliable in the long run. As a result, the team styles feel incredibly rigid in their formation, and to me this makes teambuilding in this tier both boring and un-fun. While there is a certain level of creativity still present, especially with things like Tera optimisations, I have not enjoyed building in this World Cup at all, because trying to build teams that feel like they have reasonable counterplay to all manner of threats has not really been possible. Obviously you can never counter everything in the builder, but there have been numerous teams I have scrapped simply because it felt like I had no reasonable counterplay to a common and relevant threat (ie: SD Koraidon, CM Pivot Miraidon, Zacian-C), and could not change the structure such that a counterplay option was available to said threat without opening up a bigger hole, normally to a Miraidon. As such, I've used HO more often that I'd have liked to, and in one of those HO games I ran into a matchup I similarly felt was close to unwinnable from team preview, against another type of HO.

For a good balance team, it effectively needs a specially bulky ground type, the likes of which have never been regularly used before in Ubers (aside from ORAS Primal Groudon, where Groudon's Ground type is not the reason for it being used), along with a secondary check to absorb Draco Meteors, a Tera-Type as a panic button, and something that can outspeed and threaten Miraidon from high health. After you've covered all these things (by combinations like Ting Lu, Fairyceus, a tera type on Ho-oh/Kyogre and Zacian/Scarf Koraidon), you have effectively two slots to play around with for offensive or defensive creativity, while still having significant threats that need counterplay added like Zacian-C, Ekiller, Groundceus and opposing Kyogres. The strain the single mon Miraidon exerts is not comparable to any threat we have seen to balance builds since SS Zacian-C/H and the double regen + NDM cores. This is also ignoring the incredible adaptability Miraidon has available to it. No defensive checks to Miraidon actually stand up to it effectively in practice, with sets like Life Orb Solar Beam, Agility Weakness Policy, Boots Taunt U-Turn and Scarf all popping up to utterly destroy common forms of Miraidon counterplay, and all winning games in World Cup against teams that are, on paper, pretty stacked against Miraidon.

This means Miraidon is almost always going to be answered offensively, and while that isnt always a bad thing (I think thats 90% of how you should handle Kyogre), in practice I do think this goes too far in restricting the available counterplay to Miraidon, especially because of its speed. There are only two regularly used Pokemon that naturally outspeed it (in Scarf Koraidon and Zacian-C), and a handful of sporadic offensive checks that also manage to (Iron Bundle, Deo-A). Of these checks, two do not OHKO Miraidon with their current most common sets (3 attacks SD Zacian and Boots Iron Bundle). As such, we're seeing a greater-than-normal presence of HO and other extremely volatile team structures that lead to volatile and swingy game states. Again, this isnt all on Miraidon, things like Koraidon, Zacian, the nerf to recovery and Tera all play significant parts here, but for me personally, something has to give, and Miraidon is the largest contributor of the individual factors to the metagame I am currently dissatisfied with.

In battle, Miraidon is not as overwhelming as the other things that have been banned to AG before. I dont think this is controversial, and I dont think anybody disagrees with it. However, I do think that its impact on a game to game basis is being minimised in the thread. Just earlier today, we had a Tera Fairy Agility Miraidon basically end a HO team by itself, and last week saw multiple games of Miraidon making decisive impacts on games like Nyx vs 3d and Reje vs Amukamara. And these were games where, on paper, the counterplay to Miraidon was there. Reje forfeited with his last mon being a Clodsire that was shut down from doing its job effectively by a Taunt U-Turn Miraidon, after he lost his Ho-oh out of fear of the Specs Miraidon Draco Meteor 2HKO'ing his only electric immunity. For every example of Miraidon doing not much in a game, there's an Entro vs 7MM where it just sweeps in a lategame environment. Other Pokemon can do this, of course, but I think it is disingenuous to claim that Miraidon is not potent in the actual games too. It remains an incredible threat in game as well, and can largely be tailored in the builder to exactly what its team needs it to break.

I do understand people who do not want to vote ban on Miraidon, it is certainly not as ridiculous as the other Pokemon we have banned to AG. But it is a level above anything we currently have offensively, and I do not believe it is a healthy part of the tier. It literally has more bulk, speed and firepower than Mega Rayquaza, which is to date the only thing that Ubers has banned without a suspect test to determine its final placement. Is it as good as Mega Ray, no, but that is the point of comparison my mind keeps coming back to. It hits harder, is faster, and is bulkier. And I do not believe that it is a healthy presence in the metagame for the tier as a whole.

Ultimately, for me, Miraidon is too much for the tier and I will personally be voting ban and implore people to do so as well. It is consistently good in regular in game scenarios, but the pressure it places on teambuilding is unmatched and is a large contributor to the least stable Ubers Metagame I can remember. I think this metagame is in desperate need of some form of change, and I think Miraidon is the only change that would have a substantial effect on the Ubers metagames stability, and on my own personal enjoyment of it.
This is a general reply and will touch upon some of what I believe are the most important points.

Starting with the statistic you brought up "Does the better player win the most". If this particular statistic is often referenced then I am going to address it. A question in a poll is hardly a parallel to how volatility and consistency work. I wonder how much of this would hold true if DLC2 tournament records were to be referenced. Speaking specifically of UWC, there are several people with an SV record where the wins heavily surpass the losses. But if you don't want to go to look at tournament records, you can simply look at the records in the voting ID thread, several people had near perfect records in a ladder setting where battles are found at random. Although the level of quality is questionable at times, it shouldn't undermine the fact that consistent records still exist. If it was barely possible to be consistent in this tier as the interpretation of such statistic implies then these numbers would be completely different.

There is absolutely zero fault in a singular type being relied to, the comparison to Groudon and Primal Groudon is much out of place because like you said, it hardly was used that much because it was a Ground-type. But since how SV compares to other gens is often brought up in this thread, let me tell you that the instance where a non-Ubers pokemon of a particular type is within the top 10 used pokemon is not a new thing. In ADV, we had non-Ubers Normal-types such as Snorlax and Blissey regularly being used, if you look at the UWC usage statistics, you would see that Snorlax is sitting at #3 usage while, tied with Metagross, while Blissey is sitting at #10. In DPP, you have a similar case with Bronzong, who is sitting at #3 because of how it fares in comparison to other Steel-types in a tier where Dragon-types are some of the top mons, and you also have Jirachi at #10 usage. So why is there are reason to sound the alarms when Gliscor is sitting at #6 in usage and Ting-Lu at #10?

Several posts above yours went into detail as to why checking Miraidon offensively is far easier in practice. It is not restrictive at all. Saying that some measures of checking a pokemon are sporadic is directly not relevant as it is something that can change due to meta trends. The real question shouldn't be how often do you find these pokemon but rather if they end up checking Miraidon or not.

Speaking of the "greater-than-normal" presence of HO, I think this is completely up to what each of us consider "normal". As Highlord mentioned in one of his posts, there are tiers where the concept of balance doesn't really exist, and that is not necessarily a negative thing. In the case of Ubers, there are generations dominated by Hyper Offense and the people who play such tiers still enjoy them. HO in SV is not volatile at all. There are many HO / BO styles that can easily handle most matchups, if well-built. Just as there are a lot of balance teams that can properly handle facing offense. Throwing in such a buzzword misdirects how these matchups work in reality. Not only that but, a lot of the phrasing undermines the level of skill Offense requires for someone to play optimally. Offense as a whole has less breathing room for misplays, while balance in general has more. A simple misplay and improper game and sequence planning can frequently cost you games when using offense, while balance by nature may allow you to come back if the damage done wasn't too big.

My biggest concern with how the argument is phrased is that it's very subjective towards how the current metagame works out for balance. Balance is perfectly viable and usable, even some decent stall builds can be achieved if you really tried. But acting like balance is the ultimate pokemon experience and should be preserved at all costs is not something that should serve as a primary goal in tiering. No tier is obligated to make each and every playstyle as equally viable as the other. So, why is Ubers of all tiers, showing this level of commitment in trying to force out a pokemon in the hopes that it may have this effect?

The recurrent comparison to Mega-Rayquaza in some aspects has overstayed its welcome in my eyes. Miraidon hits harder on the special side but doesn't have some of the same perks M-Rayquaza had, some of them being a larger movepool, properly being able to run physical and mixed sets, which is something I haven't seen Miraidon do outside of using U-Turn over Volt Switch. Why Mega Rayquaza was handled the way it was back in the day is completely irrelevant to this suspsect and the particulars were entirely different, is there really a constant need to bring it up?

Lastly, at the subject of imploring people to ban Miraidon. I wonder why there is a need to blatantly say and ask for a particular outcome. I personally will be voting Do Not Ban but I won't be asking, begging or imploring people to do the same as I don't feel like I'm in power to directly tell people what to do and what conclusions to draw. I think they should do that by reading the posts in this thread and playing the game.

Last edited:

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
There is absolutely zero fault in a singular type being relied to, the comparison to Groudon and Primal Groudon is much out of place because like you said, it hardly was used that much because it was a Ground-type. But since how SV compares to other gens is often brought up in this thread, let me tell you that the instance where a non-Ubers pokemon of a particular type is within the top 10 used pokemon is not a new thing. In ADV, we had non-Ubers Normal-types such as Snorlax and Blissey regularly being used, if you look at the UWC usage statistics, you would see that Snorlax is sitting at #3 usage while, tied with Metagross, while Blissey is sitting at #10. In DPP, you have a similar case with Bronzong, who is sitting at #3 because of how it fares in comparison to other Steel-types in a tier where Dragon-types are some of the top mons, and you also have Jirachi at #10 usage. So why is there are reason to sound the alarms when Gliscor is sitting at #6 in usage and Ting-Lu at #10?

My biggest concern with how the argument is phrased is that it's very subjective towards how the current metagame works out for balance. Balance is perfectly viable and usable, even some decent stall builds can be achieved if you really tried. But acting like balance is the ultimate pokemon experience and should be preserved at all costs is not something that should serve as a primary goal in tiering. No tier is obligated to make each and every playstyle as equally viable as the other. So, why is Ubers of all tiers, showing this level of commitment in trying to force out a pokemon in the hopes that it may have this effect?

Lastly, at the subject of imploring people to ban Miraidon. I wonder why there is a need to blatantly say and ask for a particular outcome. I personally will be voting Do Not Ban but I won't be asking, begging or imploring people to do the same as I don't feel like I'm in power to directly tell people what to do and what conclusions to draw. I think they should do that by reading the posts in this thread and playing the game.
I'm going to make this hopefully my last post but the arguments here being made are overall just ignoring a lot of contextual things and I would say its just missing the point.

Firstly, Ubers right now has a whopping 71 individual pokemon tiered as ubers, and if you care enough about disqualifying sub forms like palafin-citizen, it ranges closer to the low 60s. Of course, not all of these will be viable, but generally we have alot more power to pick from so reaching into OU is less and less incentivising as generations go by. In comparison, ADV has a earth shattering 15 Ubers pokemon, 2 of which are wynaut and deo-n which are worthless versions of Deo-A and Wobb. DPP has 23, and still has that Wynaut and Deo-N thing. Obviously, they will be reaching into the lower tiers that was never the issue, because those lower tiered Pokemon actually do their job well. Our argument right now is we have to reach down for OU pokemon who don't even do the job properly. Bronzong dropped out of Ubers entirely once NDM rolled around because we had an actual Ubers caliber Steel type worth giving a shit about (sorry dialga). Gliscor is a good standalone pokemon who, in most cases, is superior to ting lu in damn near every applicable scenario and would be used nearly every singular instance over Ting Lu, who would likely be in the C ranks if Miraidon was not present. Ting lu being able to set up spikes is no longer a valued niche when besides Miraidon, what reasonings do I have to use Ting lu over Gliscor? It's a statball momentum drain who brings nearly no valuable utility not given elsewhere by better.

I'll also unfortunately have to grill that pokepaste in your first post because I fear for the people who will load that and find out the team is very... unoptimal. Collision Course Koraidon provides absolutely nothing that low kick does not unless your scared of... also nothing. it's weaker than low kick in every practical scenario unless your opponent loads a Diancie, in which case they loaded a diancie so you can celebrate the 6v5 you got. U-turnless Lando-t is also not a good set in the slightest, rock tomb's benefits are not worth sacrificing being an effective pivot. And the funniest part? This team is a carbon example of a team clobbered by Agiltiy LO Miraidon, with the only outs being telegraphed Teras from Miraidon and Zacian-C, both of which would be easily thwarted by a tera from the Mirai in question.

This replay of Myjava vs Jojen is a perfect example of what happens. Arceus-Fairy came into the Agility Mirai expecting Draco boots on turn 13, and died from 82% to a life orb electro drift. Ho-oh used an emergency tera ground to phase it out. Fast forward to turn 31, Koraidon locked into flare blitz and Miraidon finds another chance to agility. Ho-oh comes in from 100% HP, and dies from full to a tera grass solar beam. Gliscor, Etern and Scarf Korai are left, and you'd think maybe baiting Draco Meteor would save them. But no, he's actually dragon pulse on this set, which completely bypasses the draco drawbacks and immediately cleans the game up.

Allow me to reiterate. He had a sp def Gliscor, a fairy type, a scarf korai, AND an emergency tera in play and still got dogwalked by Miraidon. I've seen alot of people claim in this thread that "just having a ground + fairy is enough to make miraidon struggle" and then we see replays like this. The team from myjava was extremely well made, using an Arceus-Ground that both messes with Ting lu, yet also invites in Ho-oh for aggressively entry for Miraidon, aswell as an offensive agility Eternatus to force Ting lu to try to handle it, while NDM is too busy holding Zacians back to be able to afford to. Miraidon was not the only pokemon on his team that was threatening pressure, but Jojen had by far the most things to respond to other miraidon sets for but he STILL got 6-0d by a Miraidon despite having all the things aforementioned.

Several posts above yours went into detail as to why checking Miraidon offensively is far easier in practice. It is not restrictive at all. Saying that some measures of checking a pokemon are sporadic is directly not relevant as it is something that can change due to meta trends. The real question shouldn't be how often do you find these pokemon but rather if they end up checking Miraidon or not.
"The real question shouldn't be how often you find these pokemon, rather if they end up checking Miraidon or not." ...This is helping the ban side tremendously. You're right, it is important that the checks do a half way decent job of checking Miraidon, unfortunately we've long since gone over the fact that they don't for reasonings shown on my post in the first page, and a multitude of other posts, with replays to boot. Historically, having to unreasonably reach through lower tiers for otherwise mediocore pokemon in every other task to check something is a textbook example of a pokemon being broken, and cases like Molt-Galar in SS UU seeing people whipping out Diancie to try and curb it is an example of this, and look where Galarian Moltres ended up. Ban Miraidon, it's a textbook broken Pokemon.

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
This is a general reply and will touch upon some of what I believe are the most important points.

Starting with the statistic you brought up "Does the better player win the most". If this particular statistic is often referenced then I am going to address it. A question in a poll is hardly a parallel to how volatility and consistency work. I wonder how much of this would hold true if DLC2 tournament records were to be referenced. Speaking specifically of UWC, there are several people with an SV record where the wins heavily surpass the losses. But if you don't want to go to look at tournament records, you can simply look at the records in the voting ID thread, several people had near perfect records in a ladder setting where battles are found at random. Although the level of quality is questionable at times, it shouldn't undermine the fact that consistent records still exist. If it was barely possible to be consistent in this tier as the interpretation of such statistic implies then these numbers would be completely different.

Speaking of the "greater-than-normal" presence of HO, I think this is completely up to what each of us consider "normal". As Highlord mentioned in one of his posts, there are tiers where the concept of balance doesn't really exist, and that is not necessarily a negative thing. In the case of Ubers, there are generations dominated by Hyper Offense and the people who play such tiers still enjoy them. HO in SV is not volatile at all. There are many HO / BO styles that can easily handle most matchups, if well-built. Just as there are a lot of balance teams that can properly handle facing offense. Throwing in such a buzzword misdirects how these matchups work in reality. Not only that but, a lot of the phrasing undermines the level of skill Offense requires for someone to play optimally. Offense as a whole has less breathing room for misplays, while balance in general has more. A simple misplay and improper game and sequence planning can frequently cost you games when using offense, while balance by nature may allow you to come back if the damage done wasn't too big.

The recurrent comparison to Mega-Rayquaza in some aspects has overstayed its welcome in my eyes. Miraidon hits harder on the special side but doesn't have some of the same perks M-Rayquaza had, some of them being a larger movepool, properly being able to run physical and mixed sets, which is something I haven't seen Miraidon do outside of using U-Turn over Volt Switch. Why Mega Rayquaza was handled the way it was back in the day is completely irrelevant to this suspsect and the particulars were entirely different, is there really a constant need to bring it up?

The following is largely a cleaning up of what I put on discord at 6am. Edgar wanted me to reply to the thread rather than discord so I've tried to clean it up and add to it in places without losing the spirit of the post. I do not want the thread to devolve into reply chains, which is why I went to discord (a far better platform for live discussions) in the first place.

1) Implore is hyperbolic of me to finish off the post. I am not going around begging people to ban Miraidon, and acting like I am is disingenuous. In the context of the post, it is referring entirely within itself. That post is the imploring people to ban Miraidon that I am referring to, in the same way that your posts in this thread are imploring people not to.

2) I was careful when posting to always refer to the arguments I was making in the first person. I know people disagree in places, but I do not think there is ever such a thing as objective tiering, and I dont want to lie to try to pretend that there is. The post is almost entirely why my own mindset has formed the way it has.

3) Non Ubers being used isnt my problem, I never said it was, and I do not care that the pokemon being used are non-ubers. This entire point is beyond irrelevant in my opinion.

4) Several posts claim that checking Miriadon offensively is far easier in practice, and while I even say I agree its easier than it is in the teambuilder, I think the people arguing it to be far easier are arguing in bad faith when replays like Myjava vs Jojen exist. I also do not believe that it is as easy to check Miraidon as several of the posts claim it is, and think that it requires far more careful play, with a massive skew of risk-reward in the Miraidon users favour a lot of the time. I believe this goes beyond any other offensive threat in the tier, even in practice, while it also has a far more menacing grip on the tier within the teambuilder.

5) The greater than normal presence of HO point is me illustrating my frustrations with the builder, and is entirely subjective for my own viewpoint where I do not really enjoy tiers that are HO dominated. There are tiers like dpp lc where HO is basically the only playstyle, and there are tiers in ubers where HO is far better than average, but I do not play those tiers or enjoy them, and my vote is influenced more by my own enjoyment of things like building than how good other people can find other tiers that are HO dominated. Frankly, I dont care how good other tiers are, when I play SV Ubers I do not find it good and havent for over a year, and that is my sole focus when I am voting in a suspect in SV Ubers.

6) The Mega Rayquaza comparison might have overstayed its welcome, but it is the way I think of the Pokemon and it would be dishonest to not mention it for a post which is me giving my thoughts and reasoning behind why I think Miraidon is broken. But I will not bring it up again. I will say, for being called "recurrent", this is now the 2nd time anywhere I have mentioned Mega Rayquaza as a comparison point. Once here, and once in the OP of the thread discussing which suspect Ubers should do next, where you also saw the drafts of that single other post. This is not something I have been endlessly droning on about, and I think implying I am doing so lessens your argument. I even went and searched in the discord servers I talk in the most, and I have not made comparisons to it there either.

7) Finally, people's ability to get good records on the ladder does not mean there isnt a problem with stability. We can see direct evidence from the survey about how people perceive the stability of the tier, and if I'm bringing up things like tournament results, I can bring up things like last SCL, where one team went 3-6, one team went 7-2, and all the rest were in the 2 game swing range of 4-5 to 6-3, with everyone who started most weeks getting 4-5 wins and a very similar number of losses. In fact, aside from Entro and M-Dragon, nobody started >50% of weeks without losing 5 or more games. And that was in a metagame which was seen as being more stable than what we currently have. You do have people who go consistent in this tier, and even those people like Kate do not all think the tier is actually stable.

I'm going to make this hopefully my last post but the arguments here being made are overall just ignoring a lot of contextual things and I would say its just missing the point.

Firstly, Ubers right now has a whopping 71 individual pokemon tiered as ubers, and if you care enough about disqualifying sub forms like palafin-citizen, it ranges closer to the low 60s. Of course, not all of these will be viable, but generally we have alot more power to pick from so reaching into OU is less and less incentivising as generations go by. In comparison, ADV has a earth shattering 15 Ubers pokemon, 2 of which are wynaut and deo-n which are worthless versions of Deo-A and Wobb. DPP has 23, and still has that Wynaut and Deo-N thing. Obviously, they will be reaching into the lower tiers that was never the issue, because those lower tiered Pokemon actually do their job well. Our argument right now is we have to reach down for OU pokemon who don't even do the job properly. Bronzong dropped out of Ubers entirely once NDM rolled around because we had an actual Ubers caliber Steel type worth giving a shit about (sorry dialga). Gliscor is a good standalone pokemon who, in most cases, is superior to ting lu in damn near every applicable scenario and would be used nearly every singular instance over Ting Lu, who would likely be in the C ranks if Miraidon was not present. Ting lu being able to set up spikes is no longer a valued niche when besides Miraidon, what reasonings do I have to use Ting lu over Gliscor? It's a statball momentum drain who brings nearly no valuable utility not given elsewhere by better.

I'll also unfortunately have to grill that pokepaste in your first post because I fear for the people who will load that and find out the team is very... unoptimal. Collision Course Koraidon provides absolutely nothing that low kick does not unless your scared of... also nothing. it's weaker than low kick in every practical scenario unless your opponent loads a Diancie, in which case they loaded a diancie so you can celebrate the 6v5 you got. U-turnless Lando-t is also not a good set in the slightest, rock tomb's benefits are not worth sacrificing being an effective pivot. And the funniest part? This team is a carbon example of a team clobbered by Agiltiy LO Miraidon, with the only outs being telegraphed Teras from Miraidon and Zacian-C, both of which would be easily thwarted by a tera from the Mirai in question.

This replay of Myjava vs Jojen is a perfect example of what happens. Arceus-Fairy came into the Agility Mirai expecting Draco boots on turn 13, and died from 82% to a life orb electro drift. Ho-oh used an emergency tera ground to phase it out. Fast forward to turn 31, Koraidon locked into flare blitz and Miraidon finds another chance to agility. Ho-oh comes in from 100% HP, and dies from full to a tera grass solar beam. Gliscor, Etern and Scarf Korai are left, and you'd think maybe baiting Draco Meteor would save them. But no, he's actually dragon pulse on this set, which completely bypasses the draco drawbacks and immediately cleans the game up.

Allow me to reiterate. He had a sp def Gliscor, a fairy type, a scarf korai, AND an emergency tera in play and still got dogwalked by Miraidon. I've seen alot of people claim in this thread that "just having a ground + fairy is enough to make miraidon struggle" and then we see replays like this. The team from myjava was extremely well made, using an Arceus-Ground that both messes with Ting lu, yet also invites in Ho-oh for aggressively entry for Miraidon, aswell as an offensive agility Eternatus to force Ting lu to try to handle it, while NDM is too busy holding Zacians back to be able to afford to. Miraidon was not the only pokemon on his team that was threatening pressure, but Jojen had by far the most things to respond to other miraidon sets for but he STILL got 6-0d by a Miraidon despite having all the things aforementioned.

"The real question shouldn't be how often you find these pokemon, rather if they end up checking Miraidon or not." ...This is helping the ban side tremendously. You're right, it is important that the checks do a half way decent job of checking Miraidon, unfortunately we've long since gone over the fact that they don't for reasonings shown on my post in the first page, and a multitude of other posts, with replays to boot. Historically, having to unreasonably reach through lower tiers for otherwise mediocore pokemon in every other task to check something is a textbook example of a pokemon being broken, and cases like Molt-Galar in SS UU seeing people whipping out Diancie to try and curb it is an example of this, and look where Galarian Moltres ended up. Ban Miraidon, it's a textbook broken Pokemon.
As flashy and funny your reply tries to be, it misses the point entirely on some of the aspects I talked about. Yes, there were less Ubers back in older generations but that is hardly relevant for the point I was getting across. There is precedent of other tier's pokemon that have a particular type being used in Ubers in a regular manner. If something dropped usage in Ubers at a later generation that is entirely a different topic. Reaching out for pokemon in other tiers that have had a niche in Ubers has been a thing for many years. If they somehow outclass an Uber pokemon in some regard then it is not something to be alarmed about, for example, if Ting-Lu outclasses Groudon defensively is not enough of a justification to start a witchunt in which we ultimately seek to change something about the tier. Some pokemon being outclassed by others is something that will happen at some point. I won't get into theorymoning where Ting-Lu will be after Miraidon ban because that is derailing from the point entirely.

About you grilling my team, you didn't grill a thing. And the fact that you think that you did completely shows how little you paid attention to what the point of showing that team was and derailing from it while nitpicking at the sets ultimately undermines your whole argument. The opportunities where Miraidon can actually set up Agility are scarce, it has to do it against Arceus at the risk of me clicking SD or against Necrozma at the risk of me using Trick Room. A well timed Tera from Miraidon will probbably allow it to set up Agility, sure, but if you say the tera from Zacian is telegraphed, I could argue the tera from setup Miraidon is just as telegraphed. You are stumbling upon the pitfall other people with your stance have followed, arguing things theoretically. And by the way, I use Collision Course for Tera Water Gliscor so I don't always have to rely on Scale Shot hitting (Low Kick is 60bp) and I don't use Close Combat to add yet another move that decreases my defense. If you are going to nitpick my stuff, at least analyze it thouroughly first.

I am not going to get into the game you pointed out. I find armchairing a game to get a point across very distasteful, I don't have all the information about teams at hand and it is all based on assumptions, not facts. So yeah, I am going to leave it at that.

First of all, I was talking about the way to check Miraidon offensively specifically, all of the pokemon that do that are in Ubers, because that is a point have made to argue that offensive pokemon are not as reliable because how often they are on teams, which is not relevant when talking about checking Miraidon. But going back to the point you thought I was making, read my first paragraph.

Last edited:
Aberforth I enjoy your response because at the end of the day, a lot of this boils down to subjectivity, which you were honest about from your own experiences with the tier. Everyone has a different understanding of what constitutes an AG worthy Pokemon. The "threshold" of what makes an Ubers Pokemon ban worthy in SV is very subjective in nature and likely more of a tiering philosophy discussion than anything else. I can't speak for other generations of Ubers because I have only played the tier in gen 9. Thus far in SV, Calyrex-S is the only Pokemon banned into AG, cleaving through teams in an uncontested fashion and being banned for mostly obvious and non debatable reasons. Mirai toes this line and the situation surrounding it isn't quite as straightforward, hence why we are seeing many differing opinions.

How you view Mirai can depend on many factors, ranging from your own personal playstyle/team building preferences and perception of how the tier should be played. Generally speaking, balance lends itself toward game states focusing more on incremental and long term progress while having greater room for error. If you prefer balance oriented tiers, Mirai is likely on your radar, as it's a Pokemon (one of many) that thrives against slower paced structures and exerts immense pressure against them. Offense has less room for error by virtue of relying on aggression, speed, and resistances rather than longevity. This leads to games where the focus is trying to win sooner rather than later, identifying the right opportunities to trade health, set up, force progress, or minimize the opponent's ability to do so. If you prefer this style of play, it's not uncommon to hear Mirai being cited as more manageable. I fall into the latter category. This is not to say that Mirai isn't a threat to offense at all though, don't get me wrong. It brings unique considerations to both styles in the builder and battle that I currently don't find unreasonable.

The standard to ban a Pokemon from Ubers is much higher than other tiers, and Mirai currently doesn't reach that standard in my eyes. However, I totally acknowledge and understand why people may perceive Mirai as ban worthy. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Both sides have valid points and where you lean will depend on your own vision of things. Ultimately, I enjoy the offensive dynamics of the tier and how Mirai contributes to it, which influences my decision to vote no ban.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm gonna stop you right here. Your first mistake is saying that a lot of grounds in the tier have great offensive presence. You're literally talking about Arceus-Ground. I can name the number of viable Ground types in Ubers on my right hand, and 1 of them doesn't even always run a ground move. Wake me up when I see Clodsire or Ting-Lu do more than a quarter of Calyrex-Ice's total HP.

Now, let's talk about viable fairies. Please, go ahead and list them. Oh, what's that? Arceus-Fairy? Oh no, does that mean I have to forego running Arceus-Ground? As far as we're concerned, Zac and Flutter are the only other viable fairy mons, and both of them will never come in on an Electro Drift. And moreover, one of them doesn't always carry a Fairy move, so you're not even beating Miraidon head to head most of the time!

I think there's a fundamental flaw in the understanding of pivots. You pivot not to do damage, but to maintain momentum. Who cares if you're doing 5%. Your position remains incredibly high. And you're only pivoting to soften the Grounds that you hold in such high regard.

This is the most egregious thing that has been said in the entire thread. Anyone who has built for this tier, always thinks of if the team can handle Miraidon, and often times the answer is: No, but this will at least prolong my suffering for a bit. We have seen people run 2 GROUNDS and still lose. We have seen teams that run Clodsire and Blissey and still lose to Miraidon, because of Taunt. I think the people who make this claim need to make at least 100 teams, and just look how similar the backbone "answers" you have for Miraidon look in every single team. Compiling UWC alone, you can see just how afraid every single SV person was of Miraidon from their builds. It's cope to say otherwise.
Agree as well, having to use really shit sets like spdef groundy and ting lu is really a burden for balance/ bulky offense enjoyers like me, since that slot for the bulky ground type could be used for something else. although I would really want Ubers to look like a meta very similar to me when I play pokemon SV wifi battles where I crush random players except for the crush part being battle, Its kinda obvious that 491 special attack, literally higher than mega mewtwo Y when it was a thing every time it switches in for 5 turns (8 if terrain extender, but that's fake) and setting up electric terrain boosting one of its stabs is literally not a healthy presence without some serious drawbacks, which it does not. being able to OHKO almost every single relevant pokemon in a tier does not make it balanced either.

in conclusion, a special attack stat effectively higher than mega Mewtwo Y is not exactly balanced, even though the removal of miraidon from the tier would disallow me from using tier knowledge to crush random people on wifi battles, this thing belongs in the realm of AG.
PS: ting lu can ruination on calyrex, doing 50 percent damage, wake up bro.

Agree as well, having to use really shit sets like spdef groundy and ting lu is really a burden for balance/ bulky offense enjoyers like me, since that slot for the bulky ground type could be used for something else. although I would really want Ubers to look like a meta very similar to me when I play pokemon SV wifi battles where I crush random players except for the crush part being battle, Its kinda obvious that 491 special attack, literally higher than mega mewtwo Y when it was a thing every time it switches in for 5 turns (8 if terrain extender, but that's fake) and setting up electric terrain boosting one of its stabs is literally not a healthy presence without some serious drawbacks, which it does not. being able to OHKO almost every single relevant pokemon in a tier does not make it balanced either.

in conclusion, a special attack stat effectively higher than mega Mewtwo Y is not exactly balanced, even though the removal of miraidon from the tier would disallow me from using tier knowledge to crush random people on wifi battles, this thing belongs in the realm of AG.
PS: ting lu can ruination on calyrex, doing 50 percent damage, wake up bro.
It's pretty disingenuous to suggest that high attack stat itself is problematic considering Ubers commonly involves dealing with threats that have no counters at all. Also, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by saying Ting Lu can do 50% to Calyrex because when Miraidon eventually breaks through a Ting Lu, it's not doing what a Calyrex can. Calyrex is a far stronger Tera user, has even less checks, has a better support movepool, has natural immunity to Espeed, and is capable of snowballing games in the same fashion Basculegion does.

It's pretty disingenuous to suggest that high attack stat itself is problematic considering Ubers commonly involves dealing with threats that have no counters at all. Also, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by saying Ting Lu can do 50% to Calyrex because when Miraidon eventually breaks through a Ting Lu, it's not doing what a Calyrex can. Calyrex is a far stronger Tera user, has even less checks, has a better support movepool, has natural immunity to Espeed, and is capable of snowballing games in the same fashion Basculegion does.
Technically you can ruination on a full health Calyrex if you have the guts to do it, but that's sort of just a joke and does not contribute to my point. most pokemon usually have some sort of answers, but the truly overpowered ones need really fringe options and even the fringe options can be beaten with some adjustments. Miraidon is quite overpowered with 135 speed AND an effective base special attack higher than mega Mewtwo Y for 5 turns every time it switches in, and the fringe options to beat it are ting-lu, which has no reliable recovery, clodsire, does not do much more outside of that and can still get powered through by tera draco meteor, and Spdef groundceus, just a shit option only for miraidon and you miss out on many other sets

take my opinion with a huge grain of salt since i dont play this tier and my first few ubers games in the dlc2 meta were laddering for reqs

giannis' post echoes my own thoughts in that the standard for banning a mon from ubers should be much higher and a really strong, and centralizing presence isnt enough like other tiers. to draw a parallel to some tiers im more familiar with, xerneas in oras ubers and sm/usm ubers is incredibly powerful and warps the tier around itself to a degree that can be seen as unhealthy. however, since ubers has a higher threshold for bans, the tier basically has to accept playing with some broken mons and accept the various dynamics the tier has.

in sv, miraidon doesnt meet this standard in my eyes. while it is strong and warps the tier around itself as shown by many posts in this thread, it doesnt make games essentially unwinnable if you face it and you arent necessarily obligated to use miraidon because of how good it is. you're not doing a disservice to yourself and lowering your chances of winning games by not using miraidon nor is it inordinately difficult to beat in-battle with the right plays. other mons that got previously banned from ubers (mega ray, calyrex, zacian) would come in and completely flip the battle. miraidon takes clever set-up and positioning to completely roll through teams. im seeing a lot of replays where miraidon is winning vs teams with multiple supposed checks and counters (just like geoxern muscling through steels + hooh) but none of the posts talk about how the user played to actually set that up, or what mistakes the opponent made to allow it to happen.

to me, a broken mon in ubers is one that doesnt necessarily punish the mistakes of a user, disregards the good plays of the opponent, and is able to function solely on its own merits.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The way I see it, the do not ban arguments can be divided into two main points, so I'll address them here.

The first one is that many of the people who are advocating for do not ban are concerned that banning Miraidon would somehow lead to a less fast or offensive metagame. I really don't see how a Miraidon ban leads to a less offensive metagame. Miraidon is currently featured on about 50% of teams, and it's likely that the offensive slot Miraidon currently takes up on half of teams would simply be filled with other offensive Pokemon. Ubers is not at a dearth of offensive threats, we still have extremely powerful breakers like Koraidon, Kyogre, NDM, Arceus-Ground, etc., so to act like that banning Miraidon would instantly result in a "slow" meta is simply not being realistic. If anything, I think Miraidon's ban would result in a lot more interesting teambuilding for offensive teams, as Miraidon is currently so powerful that it's basically a no-brainer pick on any HO or offensive team. Its role as a special breaker may be picked up by lesser-seen mons like Offensive Etern, or possibly even by currently unviable mons like Arceus-Electric. The variety of the tier would likely pick up way more, which makes playing and watching it a lot more interesting.

I'd also like to address the arguments about hazard management that many DNB proponents have argued against. This was not meant to be the main point of my post, and I certainly agree that banning Miraidon does not solve the hazard-dominated natured of the current metagame. It's certainly true that the main issue with hazards now is the lack of Defog/Rapid Spin distribution in Ubers. However, I also feel that it's a great exaggeration to say that Miraidon would have little to no effect on the nature of hazards in the current meta. Both Ting-Lu and Clodsire nearly always run Spikes or Toxic Spikes, so it's really not a stretch to say that Miraidon being gone leads to less Spikes/Toxic Spikes being seen in the metagame. It's also important to note that Miraidon is by far the best beneficiary of hazards in the current meta, as it's able to run Boots extremely easily and both of its main checks, Ting-Lu and Arceus-Ground, get massacred by Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

The other point that DNB proponents often bring up is that they think Miraidon simply does not meet the higher ban standards that Ubers has. This is a completely subjective and personal measure, so I don't have much to comment on it here, but one point I want to address further that I think Miraidon's pressure on teambuilding is extremely extensive and bad for the health of the tier. I want to come back to Aberforth's point of "Does the better play win more often than not with Miraidon in the tier?" and the answer is no. This can be directly linked to the teambuilding pressure that Miraidon causes.

Several DNB supporters have come out and made statements like this:

Incorporating a Ground type has been a fundamental aspect of team building across many generations, generally bringing many key characteristics to a team.
Another part to the pro-ban argument is that most of the Spdef Ground types wouldn’t be used if Miraidon was no longer in the tier, and I can’t really see that happening. Despite the addition of Boots last gen, hazard stacking has taken on a great deal of prevalence due to the nonexistence of good removal. Corviknight & Giratina are the only real reliable Defoggers, and both have a multitude of issues preventing them from being used, of which Miraidon is only one. Likewise, if you want to use Rapid Spin you’re limited to Treads, Tusk, and Terapagos, and I very much doubt that any of the three will start to see a huge increase in usage if Miraidon is removed from the tier (if anything Treads will just completely disappear). Where does that leave us for hazards? For the most part, with Ground types like Gliscor, Ting-Lu, Clodsire, and Groudon for Spikes and Arceus forms for Stealth Rock (and of course with Deoxys for both). I don't see Magearna or Diancie start to pick up in usage as a result of a Miraidon ban, so the main users of Spikes will most likely remain the same, but I don’t really want to speculate too much on a metagame without Miraidon in it because there are too many ways it could go. Who knows, Ogerpon might pick up in usage and start running a Spikes pivot set. As for running Spdef over Def investment, Miraidon isn't the only mon Spdef sets are useful for. Spdef Groundceus can set up on support Arceus-Water by running a Spdef set and can beat Kyogre if it uses Tera, two things it can't do with a phys Def set. Similarly, Ting-Lu appreciates the added bulk to check Calm Mind Arceus forms, and Clodsire uses it to check Kyogre. Regardless, I don’t see Ground types disappearing just because they aren’t “needed” to check Miraidon anymore.
The pokemon which people claim are not good at all are actually better when you remove Miraidon out of the equation, mainly because they are passive pokemon and, more than anything, Miraidon in practice feeds off and bullies passive teams. When facing Miraidon, these Pokemon have less chances to set hazards up, when they are not, it's possible they are able to set them up more efficiently due to the lack of pressure they would otherwise have facing it
All of these people are good players, so these arguments come off as really weak to me. To act like people would still run Ting-Lu, Clodsire, and SpD Arceus-Ground should Miraidon be gone is simply not true and I think most of you know that to be the case. The only reason people run Ting-Lu is because it's the best switch-in to Miraidon at the current moment, it has no role outside of that. You would much rather run something that has reliable recovery and is able to run Boots if you wanted something to deal with other special threats like CM Arc forms (see: Eternatus and Ho-Oh). Clodsire would likely have an highly limited role if Mirai goes as it's a decent Kyogre check, but it's extremely passive and has to click Recover all the time which is why it's rarely used even now. Arceus-Ground would certainly still exist, but SpD is very explicitly only run to better take-on Miraidon's Draco Meteors; Arceus-Ground would instead have much more freedom to run defense investment to better take on NDM, or even go fully into SpAtk investment to apply more pressure to Ho-Oh out of the gate.

The point I was making about Miraidon forcing a necessary SpD Ground-type on nearly every non-HO team is not that the entry hazard issue would be instantly solved; it's that it makes it extremely difficult to check other threats in the builder when you have to check Miraidon first.

There is also a trope going on where this metagame is essentially matchup-based and therefore luck is an inherent factor of the current metagame. This is something I disagree with. In my opinion, for a tier to be matchup-based to the degree where you are playing rock-paper-scissors when picking teams, it needs to be a meta in which top pokemon can only be beaten by a certain style and said style is prey for a third style.
The problem here is that you are looking at Miraidon's effect on the tier in a too small context. Current teambuilding tends to favor checking 3 threats first; Miraidon, Koraidon, and Zacian-C, the reason being that they all have insane levels of power and very high usage. Now, all of these mons have very different checks which leads to similar structures, such as NDM for Zacian-C, Arceus-Fairy for Koraidon, and Ting-Lu/Arceus-Ground for Miraidon (there are other options available but you get the point). The problem is that checking other mons past this point becomes extremely difficult. Let's assume your last slots include a revenge killer like Scarf Koraidon and some sort of breaker like Flutter Mane, leaving one last slot left. If I want to check DD NDM well, then I want to run something like Arceus-Dark or Corv... but then I don't have any room left to check Kyogre! If I want to check Kyogre reliably, then I can run Eternatus... then I don't have a good way to check NDM or Arceus-Ground! And speaking of Arceus-Ground.. sure, I could run Giratina-O, but then I am once again vulnerable to Kyogre and DD NDM... it's this sort of teambuilding problems which leads to the tier becoming more match-up dependent. OK, sure, it's never been possible to be perfectly safe to any threat in a tier, but it's also true that a loss of teams that at least have options for all threats means the tier is more about fishing for the match-up than how people make plays in the actual game. If you make the counterpoint of "Just run a more offensive team!" then I would say that, why should the teambuilding variety of the tier be harmed just for the sake of keeping Miraidon legal?

The current metagame is full of pseudo-checks to many mons, like Scarf Koraidon "checking" Kyogre despite being massacred by Ice Beam on switch-in or Ho-Oh "checking" NDM despite being crippled by Tera Fire or Knock Off. The reason these situations come up so often is that players simply do not have a choice to run better checks to things. As I mentioned before, Miraidon has the worst effect on the builder by forcing these Ground-types which you would not run otherwise. Banning Miraidon directly would lead to an entirely new slot that people could use to better handle these threats, and this is why I'm voting ban.

I think I found a way to beat Miraidon, a Tera Fairy Pawmot or Rhyperior. with their immunity to both Miraidon's STAB moves thanks to Pawmot's Volt Absorb and Rhyperior's Lightning Rod, it will force it to switch out, useless if it has other moves such as Dazzling Gleam & Fairy Tera, Pawmot needs to run Focus Sash and be healthy if it faces on a Dazzling Gleam Miraidon, luckily it can paralyze it with Nuzzle. For Rhyperior it needs Assault Vest for endurance with 252 HP and 252 SpD EVs it is guranteed to be 3HKOd by a Unboosted Tera Fairy Dazzling Gleam, if it manages to live a +2 Dazzling Gleam when at full HP, it can retaliate with Metal Burst and KO it.

SiTuM

destined for greatness
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think I found a way to beat Miraidon, a Tera Fairy Pawmot or Rhyperior. with their immunity to both Miraidon's STAB moves thanks to Pawmot's Volt Absorb and Rhyperior's Lightning Rod, it will force it to switch out, useless if it has other moves such as Dazzling Gleam & Fairy Tera, Pawmot needs to run Focus Sash and be healthy if it faces on a Dazzling Gleam Miraidon, luckily it can paralyze it with Nuzzle. For Rhyperior it needs Assault Vest for endurance with 252 HP and 252 SpD EVs it is guranteed to be 3HKOd by a Unboosted Tera Fairy Dazzling Gleam, if it manages to live a +2 Dazzling Gleam when at full HP, it can retaliate with Metal Burst and KO it.
252 SpA Choice Specs Hadron Engine Miraidon Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Fairy Pawmot: 437-515 (155.5 - 183.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Hadron Engine Miraidon Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Fairy Pawmot: 437-515 (155.5 - 183.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Yeah, It better watch out for the Choice Specs variants, Iron Bundle is good at handling them thanks to Quark Drive Boosting its speed, even its 136 base speed Allows to outspeed a max speed Choice Scarf Miraidon by one point, a Single Choice Specs Ice Beam and its down, it must watch out for the double dance variants, it must have a Tera Ground so it can trick it to do an Parabolic Charge / Electro Drift, however a Dragon Pulse or Tera Fairy boosted Dazzling Gleam is enough to OHKO it, even if Miraidon is unboosted.

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
as someone who was passed a team and laddered with Miraidon it would be disingenuous of me to vote ban. it was not an issue while playing. if miraidon truly is a building issue, a suspect test for sure wasn't the way to go about this. we don't learn that while playing on the ladder at all and we can't just go based on what mains are saying. we have all the resources to play, from your awesome threads and players, so how could we go at this suspect with the mindset "it's a problem in the builder" while simply playing your tier. the council is entrusted to make decisions for the good of the tiering community, if this is not a playing but a building issue, I feel the qualified members of the council should have had a vote themselves and taken care of this, but I understand why you couldn't :\

On that note the last respects bro is broken AF and I'm shocked it's still around.

abriel

I’m with you.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
as someone who was passed a team and laddered with Miraidon it would be disingenuous of me to vote ban. it was not an issue while playing. if miraidon truly is a building issue, a suspect test for sure wasn't the way to go about this. we don't learn that while playing on the ladder at all and we can't just go based on what mains are saying. we have all the resources to play, from your awesome threads and players, so how could we go at this suspect with the mindset "it's a problem in the builder" while simply playing your tier. the council is entrusted to make decisions for the good of the tiering community, if this is not a playing but a building issue, I feel the qualified members of the council should have had a vote themselves and taken care of this, but I understand why you couldn't :\

On that note the last respects bro is broken AF and I'm shocked it's still around.
understand your viewpoint but really cannot say i agree with the conclusion. ultimately part of this is simply the flaw in the suspect system, you really don't necessarily get a good taste of the actual meta being played in tournaments/general high level play by laddering up to 1500 in 30 games. team choice definitely plays a role as well, like your ho type teams that get spammed on ladder absolutely deal with and overwhelm opposing miraidon just fine, but that doesn't mean that making these teams the only/best teamstyle and/or forcing otherwise objectively suboptimal choices onto teams simply to deal with miraidon is healthy (also, every team loses to at least some miraidon set. these hyper offensive teams still really struggle with setup/agility miraidon). while obviously it's ridiculous to suggest your full opinion should be formed by just parroting what others say, i think there is a benefit to listening to mainers in terms of getting an informed opinion on the effect of miraidon on the tier. like, i haven't played much of ubers at a tournament level, but chipping in on wc building calls really does show me how ridiculous of a strain on the builder this pokemon is, and that type of understanding of the meta simply can't be gotten by being passed a team and laddering with it. ultimately, while i'm definitely frustrated by the restrictions on tiering action by the tiering admins, we as players effectively can only play with the cards we are dealt with this suspect, and i feel like voting no ban even upon recognizing the flaws of the system and the missing factors at play is a shame.

absolutely agreed on last respects though get that tf outta here, really disappointed this cannot be quickbanned because unlike miraidon i cannot say i've personally seen a good-faith argument for its staying in the tier.

tier

PUPL Champion
Imma be real, I havent read most of this thread nor do I plan to address specific users because im not going to read it. These r just my thoughts:

Given all the SV ive played, I personally have rarely felt overwhelmed by this mon. If you asked me pre dlc id have told you to ban this thing into a new universe with its specs dracos landing on my tinglus but to be perfectly honest I have not felt an issue with opposing miraidons, and ive rarely won with specifically my own miraidon when laddering (or in the tour games ive played lol). No hate but half of you are good players and if youre really telling me this is a mon to be sobbing over, then thats truly a skill issue lol, play the meta more and experiment because no way youre telling me just because your static balance loses to miraidon that it should be banned. Mons can 100% be centralizing in the way you have to build, I think UU garchomp is a great example of that as it invalidates most other offensive hazard setters, but i dont think that alone should warrent banning them. Lets be real, almost every argument has to first avoid the fact that no HO or TR cares abt miraidon in the slightest lol and fine lets have a convo abt these fatter builds. The biggest problem youre going to face is boots miraidon, and nearly every offensive outlet your team likely employs i.e. scarf koraidon, TR NDM yadayadayada will be able to punish it and force it out. Not to say that just because you can scare it out means its not a problem but people make it out to be like miraidon loading into balance means you should click X. Its like woah an offensive mon pressures fat a lot what ever will we do. I think any claim that goes "ANY NON HO IS FORCED TO BLAH BLAH BLAH" is like lol be real.... i can load a calyrex ice into balance and likely blow u up but that doesnt mean the dude is ban worthy. To be real you do not have to be forced into HO in order to beat the mon, get creative, use things like eject button tinglu maybe and pull up into koraidon or some1 (random thought off the top of my head) but yeah tldr I think if this bothers you this much youre either 1) bad, 2) an old ass player, 3) suck balls at anything that isnt fat (1). :) dnb

edit: it has come to my attention that ppl expected me to write coherently... L

Last edited:
My observation from this thread is that many ban voters prefer a meta where the main strategies entail slower low risk turns on average to gain steady positional advantage, almost chess-esque really. I don’t think forcing this meta to meet these conditions is ideal nor possible. Pokemon has always been about utilizing high impact elements of surprise and making precise team adaptations (doesn’t necessarily correlate with diversity) to counter the meta. These have always been the most integral and complex parts of the game to me because the actual gameplay is fairly simple and certainly several orders of magnitude less sophisticated than other competitive games. Some people would probably claim Gen 2 and Gen 8 Ubers are the greatest simply because they achieve stability by revolving around out-calculating your opponent in game, but I and many others just don’t see the appeal of that. In the case of SV, it’s almost impossible to achieve anyway just because of the amount of offensive threats on top of Tera. If that’s your cup of tea, then you do you; we have different philosophies toward why we play this game.

That being said, the gameplay should still allow for multiple points of momentum change at most early/mid-game positions; that is, there shouldn’t be threats that just snowball games into wins with no reasonable way to take away their momentum. Miraidon isn’t a culprit of this despite the extreme centralization as I’ve mentioned in my other posts. That’s something that’s attributed to stuff like Scale Shot Koraidon (still probably wouldn’t ban because other sets promote stability) and Last Respects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)