Metagame NP: Stage 7 - Electric (Florges Unbanned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader

:jolteon: :jolteon: :jolteon:

Jolteon is being suspected tested due to the immense impact it has had on the NU tier since it's reintroduction following the NUBL unbans vote a handful of months ago. With a blistering speed state of 130, it comfortably outspeeds every relevant threat in the metagame outside of Electrode-Hisui and select Choice Scarf users such as Rotom-Mow, Bruxish, Shaymin, and Tauros-Paldea-Blaze. Jolteon's speed and access to a fantastic pivoting move in Volt Switch allows it to take advantage of its most used item; Heavy Duty Boots more than any Pokemon in the tier, by pivoting out of any poor matchup and chipping away at it's counters before they have the opportunity to strike it, all whilst avoiding any passive chip from hazards. With Calm Mind it can quickly boost up its Special Attack and Special Defense against things like a Choice-locked Rotom-Mow, or a passive Pokemon that cannot threaten to KO it, and sweep through teams in the mid to late game. Furthermore, as Jolteon can force a lot of switches and pivot out of them, it works exceptionally well as an enabler of some of the tier's most fearsome breakers including; Hoopa, Goodra, Heracross, and Grimmsnarl, all of whom appreciate being able to safely switch into defensive Pokemon. Although it cannot pivot out of Ground-types, it's most used Tera-types allow it to blast past them, with Tera-Ice threatening to OHKO Pokemon such as Gligar and Sandaconda, and setup Calm Minds on Palossand. Piloswine is undoubtedly the best counter to Jolteon, as it can both prevent it from pivoting completely, and is not bothered by either Tera Ice or Tera Fairy blasts due to its bulk, typing, and Thick Fat ability. However, Piloswine is only a single Pokemon that can reliably prevent this, and will inevitably be worn down by hazards without any access to reliable recovery or Leftovers. Tera-Ice also allows Jolteon to quickly overwhelm Grass-types that may attempt to check it, and has the added bonus of dealing good damage to Goodra. However it does not have the defensive benefits of Tera-Fairy, and thus sees reduced usage nowadays. Tera-Fairy on the other hand allows Jolteon to resist priority Sucker Punches from Grimmsnarl, Toxicroak, and Bombirdier, while still getting good coverage to neutrally hit Ground-types, hit Goodra super-effectively, and grant itself resistances to Scarf Passimian and Scarf Heracross's STAB moves. Jolteon has also exhibited it's ability to dominate and turn around matches in high profile tournaments such as SCL, and has previously been deemed a banworthy Pokemon in the NU metagame for similar reasons. However, this time around Jolteon is a lot more reliant on Terrastalizing to break past the wider pool of Ground-types available in the tier, and the tier admittedly has a wider pool of viable physical Choice Scarf users that can revenge kill it without worrying about Calm Mind boosts. Furthermore, the rise of Sand teams and defensive teams built around the core of Chansey + a bulky Ground-type with a Choice Scarf user in the back have shown that there is adaption available to limit Jolteon's power in a match. Overall, it's presence is a controversially contested one within the tier, and thus the NU Council have deemed it as more than deserving of a public suspect test to determine its fate.

• ***WE ARE USING A NEW METHOD FOR SUSPECT REQS*** Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test. We will be trialing a new method for reqs that does NOT utilize GXE. Instead, the voting requirements are that you achieve an 80% winrate with a minimum of 32 games won. For example, a record of 32 wins to 8 losses is an 80% winrate which totals at 40 games overall, thus you would qualify for reqs with this. A record of 32-0 would also qualify for reqs, and is the minimum amount of games that can be played to qualify. There is NO maximum game limit, so you may take as many games as you need to achieve reqs as long as you arrive at an 80% winrate. For example, a record of 46 wins to 11 losses would also qualify me for reqs, as 80% of 57 is 46 wins.
  • You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be NUJS For example, I might signup with the ladder account NUJS etern
  • Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name.​
  • We will be using the regular NU ladder for this suspect test. We will not be creating a new Suspect Ladder. At the beginning of every battle, there will be an announcement denoting the ongoing suspect with a link to this thread.​
  • Jolteon will be allowed on the ladder.​
  • Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will result in infractions and further discipline.​
  • Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied. This also includes throwing games to help other people qualify. Play your games normally and fairly.​
  • The suspect test will last until Tuesday, October 31st @ 11:59pm (GMT-4), and then the voting thread will be posted in the Blind Voting subforum.​
Tagging Marty and Kris to notify them.

Here's my thing with Jolteon:

Pros:
- One of the fastest mons in the tier without needing a scarf
- Can spam Thunderbolt and Volt Switch fairly effectively
- Electric immunity
- Tera Ice gives it near perfect coverage by itself, meaning Ground and Grass types aren't reliable ways to wall it unless the opponent has already Tera'd something else, while Tera Water helps it deal with the same Ground types plus Piloswine, while only being weak to the not-very-common Grass moves

Not a big list of pros, but most of these things are *massive* pros. It's an Electric type that doesn't really fear the likes of Sandaconda or Gliscor. And it's blistering speed tier means that it's only outsped by Electrode, scarfers, or setup sweepers that have boosted their speed like Vivillon. All the while it can spam Volt Switch quite a lot in the early-mid game to chip down it's switchins barring Ground types, and in the late game it can proceed to use Thunderbolt/Tera Ice to clean up shop.

Cons:
- Outsped by common scarfers like Passimian and Bruxish
- Very frail physically and only okay-at-best special bulk (tough to switch in)
- Devoid of useful coverage without Terastalizing (besides the occasional Shadow Ball I guess)
- Has a hard time breaking down special walls like Goodra and specially defensive Bronzong

The biggest issue with Jolteon is its threatened by... basically every scarfer in the tier, mainly physical ones, as they outspeed Jolteon and threaten an OHKO. And since most teams pack at least one scarfer, Jolteon is going to have a hard time sweeping until such scarfers are crippled or defeated. And because it's so physically frail, it doesn't like taking priority moves like Decidueye's Shadow Sneak or Grimmsnarl's Sucker Punch either. The other issue is, it kind of has to use Tera in order to get past common Electric resists. If Jolteon's team has already used Tera on something else, it's generally a lot easier to wall it. And also, if you play the Tera game wrong, Jolteon is likely getting OHKO'd. At least other Electric types like Magneton and Eelektross have useful bulk and slower pivoting to argue placements on teams, while Hisuian Electrode has Grass STAB to threaten many of the tier's Ground types without needing to Terastalize. I'd have a much bigger issue with Jolteon if it very clearly and completely outclassed its competition, and to me it doesn't. While I'm uneligible to give a real vote, I think Jolteon is top tier but not so much banworthy.

Last edited:
ON THE RADAR!!!

What's up, y'all? Your favourite pokemaniac Catalisador here to give my thoughts on the current metagame, especially the most controversial and centralizing pieces of it!

:ss/jolteon:

Starting off with our first suspect test of the new DLC, we have a blatantly broken and overcentalizing pokémon in Jolteon. Jolteon, in my eyes, possesses some of the same attributes that made Regieleki broken in OU: unparalleled speed tier, incredible breaking prowess and enough versatility to pick and choose how to break through its checks. Being only outsped by the Electrode twins and Choice Scarf users, the pool of pokémon that can succesfully outpace and revenge kill a Jolteon is extremely narrow, especially taking into consideration its ability to become respectably bulky with its access to Calm Mind and its capability of simply changing its typing to resist incoming attacks through tera. Defensively, there simply isn't any one pokémon that can take on its multitude of tera options: Fairy, Water, Ice, Ghost, Fire, etc. This is further enhanced by its access to Volt Switch, which can just chip down resists and wannabe checks for a late game sweep. I personally don't think any pokémon with the splashability, power and versatility of Jolteon can be justifiably seen as a balanced pokémon in a competitive metagame.

:ss/goodra:

Moving on to the next broken thing: Goodra. The slug is simply too potent, in my opinion, due to its combination of bulk, versatility, splashability, power and sheer stats. Its already good movepool got great additions this gen, mainly Knock Off, allowing for Goodra to harshly punish or bypass "checks" like AV Copperajah and specially defensive Bronzong. It simply can do too much: act as a bulky check to opposing attackers with Assault Vest, establish itself as a win-condition with AcidPress, become a unwallable breaker with Choice Specs, turn into a bulky utility pivot with Heavy-Duty Boots, adapt to specially defensive checks with a surprise Choice Band set, etc. Its typing is also superb: dragon, when supported by its coverage moves in Fire Blast and Sludge Bomb, can become too much for the tier to handle, especially given our non- existant selection of Fairy-types. Basically, Goodra can pick any role it wants to achieve and excel at it, leaving very little to handle its unparalleled versatility and splashability.

:ss/salazzle:
Salazzle is a monster. It possesses great speed and special attack stats, an incredible dual STAB combination in Fire/Poison and a vast utility movepool in Knock Off, Toxic, Encore and even Toxic Spikes. The issue with Salazzle is how good it is at weakening wannabe checks and quickly snowballing: defensive answers like the Golem twins and Tera Poison Piloswine all either crumble to Toxic overtime, get crippled by Knock Off or become setup fodders with Encore. Furthermore, Salazzle has an incredibly high speed tier for the current tier's standards, coupled with near-perfect coverage and access to Nasty Plot, making it an extremely scary breaker. I believe Salazzle should be looked upon with more cautiousness.

WEATHER WARS!
I've recently managed to top the NU ladder, making it to top 10, with a combination of two scary weather playstyles: sand and rain, so I wanted to give both of them a quick shoutout.

top 10.png

proof of peak

:ss/hippopotas: :ss/lycanroc: :ss/sandslash: :ss/houndstone:

One of the most important playstyles to keep in mind while building for the current metagame is sand. Its plethora of threats in Lycanroc, Sandslash and Houndstone all break extremely well for each other, allowing for scenarios to easily snowball and lead to a clean late-game sweep. I've already somewhat reviewed sand in this post, but basically the tier is hardly equipped to handle such scary, nearly-uncheckable breakers one after the other, especially when supported by options like Eject Button mons and Healing Wish spam.

:ss/floatzel: :sv/qwilfish: :sv/qwilfish-hisui: :sv/poliwrath: :sv/ludicolo: :sv/jolteon:

Another great but more niche hyper offensive playstyle centered around weather is rain. With an extremely scary main breaker in Floatzel (which can run either HDB/Mystic Water + BU or Choice Band) and versatile secondary breakers in SD Qwilfishs, BD Poliwrath, Ludicolo and Jolteon, rain possesses a pretty decent match up against most teams in the meta, being somewhat kept in check by the presence of Goodra. But, it is, nonetheless, an incredibly scary playstyle that quickly can put a toll on certain balance structures, breaking through defensive cores with ease and annihilating offensive pokémon. I definitely encourage y'all to explore more with rain, as it is a very easy to manouver team with impressive results.

QUICK SHOUTOUTS!

:sv/altaria: :choice-specs:
Choice Specs Altaria is another niche option I've been enjoying a lot right now, bluffing a more defensive playstyle to break through unaware targets with an extremely potent STAB combination in Draco Meteor and Hurricane, further enhaced by coverage Fire Blast and utility in Rest or Defog.

:sv/golem-alola:
Golem is an incredibly fun and decent pokémon in the current metagame. Its combination of typing (which allows it to act as a check to the likes of Jolteon and Salazzle) and utility in Stealth Rock and its ability to trap Steel-types is incredibly unique and should be explored way more. Furthermore, the presence of tera lets it get rid of potential weaknesses and, instead, become a wall to offensive attackers that my try to exploit it, with Tera Water vs. Bruxish, Dragon for Rotom-Mow and Electrode-Hisui and Fairy for Goodra and Fighting-types. Definitely give it a try.

FREE TEAMS!
Lastly, I wanted to share the team that mainly helped me on my high ladder climb (mostly because I want more people to see the power of underexplored sets and pokémon)!

:altaria: :copperajah: :golem-alola: :scyther: :rotom-mow: :weezing:
click sprites for importable

DimLug I have to say, talking about Jolteon being threatened by basically every choice Scarf user when a lot of special attacking ones have issues if Jolteon has even a single Calm Mind is weird. Physical scarfers fare better, but Tera Fairy alone can definitely stop a revenge kill attempt from a decent amount plus all the other defensive benefits you seem to gloss over when talking about it

And because it's so physically frail, it doesn't like taking priority moves like Decidueye's Shadow Sneak or Grimmsnarl's Sucker Punch either.
But Decidyeue's Shadow Sneak is doing 42% max with max attack investment and Adamant. If you wanna say it runs Choice Band or something, then sure, it gets better, but Jolteon still needs a decent amount of prior damage to guarantee a KO, which is not a thing i feel is comfrotable relying upon considering that Jolt runs HDB so often + potential HP restoring from Volt Absorb. Grimmsnarl's Sucker Punch has the pretty big issue of even regular Jolteon's forcing correct predictions to land Sucker Punch or hitting a Crunch/Play Rough on a Calm Mind. This doesn't even account for Substittue variants that force you to win multiple predictions in a row, or even the previously mentioned Tera Fairy variants just tanking Sucker Punch and hitting back with Tera Blast. It's just not a reliable way to deal with Jolteon at all

At least other Electric types like Magneton and Eelektross have useful bulk and slower pivoting to argue placements on teams,
Don't have enough experience against Magneton to make a point about it, but citing Eelektross as though its comparable to Jolteon is kinda silly considering how different they function. Plus, Eelektross just isn't very good at all in NU anyway, and hasn't ever done much of anything when i've fought it execpt be vaguely annoying then dying soon after. It's more of a low ladder noob trap then anything else

Anyway, as for my own thoughts on Jolteon, I initally was more on a dnb side, but after realizing how good Tera Fairy is as a defensive way to stuffing what are usually good options to handle Jolteon, I think it's just too overbearing at this point to feel good letting it stay in the tier. If I get reqs, i'll definitely be voting to ban it

Last edited:
What pushed Jolteon to the top on last meta was the lack of ground-types and lesser power level.Common spdef tanks were pivoted on and take a lot from hazards (Magneton,Eelektross,Ursaring) or setup fodder with defensive tera (i.e Chansey with Tera Ghost) .Now the tier gets more options on teambuild which made sweeping with Jolteon far less affordable.It often needs to tera to get past new Ground-Type in Gligar,Piloswine and Palossand.Piloswine especially forces jolt to pick tera water against it and palo is immune to Jolt moves bar shadow ball before tera).Tera Fairy is a good midground as seen in most SCL games but it can't immediately waste it since it doesn't ohko the aforementioned pokemons.Offensive counterplay is more than enough too with Goodra,Shaymin,Rotom-Mow being super splashable since DLC,more physical scarfs in Bruxish,Heracross and Tauros and priorities (Decidueye,Grimmsnarl,Hariyama,Bruxish again).This mon is far from the centralizing threat it was some months ago and doesn't deserve a ban rn.

Dr. Phd. BJ

aphasia
is a defending SCL Champion
OMPL Champion
Jolteon is a very polarizing mon in nu currently. Jolteon boasts a great speed tier and respectable immediate power in comparison to the other electrics in the tier (electrode is weak, rotom is slow, aloraichu is in between, etc.). It was seen in NUPL, got banned, fell back down to nu with tier shifts and dlc, and now it is getting suspected again. I wanted to mention the timeline for jolteon because I feel as if some people are subconsciously biased towards banning jolteon due to its past. The tier is very different now than it was during nupl. Heck, the tier is very different now than it was two weeks ago. I started playing sv nu during the last cycle of nult, which took place after nupl had ended and jolteon was banned. I did not have any bias going into this suspect, and I wanted to dig deep into all the scl games, as these are the highest level nu games at this point in time. I'll show quite a few of the jolteon games and my observations from each:

week 1 freezai vs Elias PSY
Freezai pulled out a cool tech in sub + cm tera fairy jolteon. This was a perfect team to load into, as it safely sets up on umbreon. Elias played nicely around it, and unfortunately a tbolt para + full para allowed it to net an extra 2 kills essentially. The meta still had umbreon and blissey at the time, which were two solid checks to special attackers. Overall, this does not really indicate brokenness, and Elias got objectively unlucky here

week 2 Thiago Nunes vs etern
This battle is the start of a theme that I noticed when looking at jolteon replays. This game featured jolteon on both sides, and eventually had a calm mind war between the two. This is a major oversimplification of what happened, as Thiago had a piloswine in the back and etern did not. Thiago's jolteon won the war before switching out on a non sucker punch toxicroak. Had Thiago stayed attacked instead of going hard scyther, jolteon would have won on the spot. It is really weird to gauge much jolteon didn't sweep, and toxicroak wasn't a standard sucker punch set. You can make your own conclusion out of this battle, however this is important for a point I will make later in this post

week 2 Kushalos vs Meru
Pretty simple, jolteon didn't come in until the end where salazzle and pilo were low on health/dead. I don't think this game really shows anything, as the results would probably had been the same if jolteon was an electrode/scarf rotom or whatever form of speed control.

week 3 axrtix vs GXE
This is one of the games that really stood out to me. A jolteon balance vs a jolteon ho team. Jolteon leads against froslass and is fortunate enough to not proc cursed body. In this game, GXE uses his own jolteon in order to check opposing jolteon. The reason this becomes really weird is that both teams rely on jolteon as the electric immune, and they are relying on jolteon to stop itself from spamming volt/tbolt. This is where I think the biggest issue with jolteon is. It forces lots of these awkward mirrored 50/50s where you don't know the opposing jolteon tera. With volt absorb and speed ties, it forces lots of mind games and 50/50s both in your control and out of your control in order to gain momentum. GXE got his plays right, and got the win in this game.

week 4 Togkey vs GXE
Looking at preview, each side has a jolteon that is relied upon as the electric immunity. GXE loaded up pretty much the same team as last week but with a different suicide lead. Jolteon leads again cause of the speed tier, and lycanroc gets up rocks and some accelerock chip on jolteon. Togkey handles GXE's jolteon rather easily because of sacs and GXE not having a glastrier switch-in (expected on ho). Togkey's jolteon forces a grimmsnarl tera, which was anticipating tera fairy from togekey's end. GXE sd's with scyther shortly after and snipes it with quick attack and accelerock damage from before. Is it broken because it got initiative against an ho team that lost its electric immune very early on? You can be the judge

week 4 Kushalos vs etern
I don't want to post this game as a meme because Kushalos timed out, but I think it can be understood where I am going with this. Both sides again rely on jolteon as an electric immune, and with boots from both sides it will have the longevity to outlast hazards. As I spoiled earlier, Kushalos unfortunately timed out. The reason I bring this game up is that had Kushalos not timed out, I believe both player's best assets were of course: their jolteons. I can't live in a world of make believe and pretend how I know the game would end, I simply can't do that. But I believe this game is another example of why I think the jolteon issue isn't what jolteon does to the tier, it's what jolteon does to itself.

Building with an electric immunity is a staple in competitive singles. This is true because volt switch deals good damage while avoiding rocky helmet damage, making it an extremely low risk high reward move... that is if you don't use an electric immunity. For a lot of the gen, nu has been deprived of ground types, oftentimes relying on what felt like solely sandaconda for an extended period of time (nupl + nuwc). With dlc and tier shifts, not only are there more ground types in nu (piloswine, palossand, gligar), but there are also two new electric types: rotom-mow and hisuian-electrode. These both have access to stab leaf storm, which nukes ground types for the most part. The tier did not lack electric types before, as magneton, rotom, and eelektross were common in the past. As a way of taking a shortcut in the builder, many people rely on volt absorb jolteon as a way of stopping volt switch short term. However, this ultimately becomes a problem when you run into opposing jolteon, as you are relying on your own jolteon to slow down opposing jolteon.

I do not think jolteon is banworthy at this point in time. I think that teams that try to rely on jolteon as a sole electric immunity will ultimately struggle vs opposing jolteon, as shown above. Teams need counterplay to common special attackers such as salazzle, tatsugiri, goodra, hisuian-electrode, hoopa, and others. There were plenty of games in scl that jolteon quite literally did nothing. While I understand the reason that some people want jolteon removed from the tier, I don't see how jolteon is currently broken. There has been an uptick in decidueye, better speed control with scarf shaymin/pauros/bruxish/qwilfish to name a couple, goodra, chansey, h-electrode, having piloswine/gligar forcing tera decisions in the builder, and spdef copperajah. Elias made a much more concise post just above that pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the jolteon suspect. I will ultimately be voting dnb on jolteon.

I think the power level of this tier has increased quite substantially within the last few months, and the presence of more Volt Switch blockers in the many ground types of the tier as well as the quality of the Sp. Def walls in the tier has made Jolteon much easier to contain. Piloswine in particular is a massive nuisance to Jolteon as it literally doesn't care about anything it does as it resists the common Tera Blast Ice, which has led to Jolteon adapting and using Tera Blast Fairy which can still hit Goodra and does more damage to Piloswine; also making sure any ground type switch-ins are 2HKOd (maybe with the exception of Gligar idk the calc off the top of my head). It can still pivot away from the special walls that beat it however and setup late-game so it's role has not really changed in the slightest since last time, but in general I don't think it is as easy to commit to terastilisation with Jolteon compared to before just due to the dominance of mons such as Copperajah and Bronzong who are featured on quite a lot teams that resist both of its common tera types. Bruxish and Blaze Tauros are among two of the best mons in the tier that can easily revenge kill Jolteon, not really being afraid of common tera types that it has.

I think Jolteon is not the overbearing pokemon it was before, but I think the biggest reason to voting ban on Jolteon would be how volatile it can be in tournament play. From my experience on the ladder suspect test, I never once struggled agaisnt Jolteon because I had good Sp. Def walls that didn't care about tera Fairy/Ice variants of Jolteon. However this is just the ladder, in tournaments we have seen other tera variants of Jolteon being used that can easily win a game and are very unexpected. In this game between eternally and Thiago Nunes, we see Tera Fire Jolteon likely as a means to still hit Piloswine neutrally with Tera Blast and also break past Copperajah and Bronzong, which tend to have an easy time against Jolteon. If eternally was able to win the exchange, he likely would have won the game of this single Tera. This game of me vs. Soucou is in the older meta of the previous month, prior to many bans but I think it is still worth mentioning. In this game, my Articuno is forced to tera and pivots out to Hisuian Electrode so I can try to get some damage with a STAB Leaf Storm but Jolteon uses Tera Flying and is able to resist it, meaning I have to rely on a very weak Foul Play leading me to lose Hisuian Electrode and revenge kill with Hariyama. If I didn't have priority, I very much lost the game to a Jolteon with a tera type I had never seen before and couldn't really expect. That brings me to my main point of this being that you can literally play 100+ games on the ladder and never run into these tera variants of Jolteon as realistically they are not as effective as the main ones, but in a tournament setting which is a BO1, you can run into something that you cannot reasonably expect and lose to it on the spot. This in my honest opinion is the biggest reason to vote ban on Jolteon for the pro-ban voters; it's volatility when it comes to tournament play.

Judging from what I've seen on the thread, in the PS room and in the discord it seems like this will be a pretty unanimous DNB. I am most likely voting DNB as well but I think it's important to consider the effect of Jolteon in tournament play when voting.

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
:ss/Jolteon:
I wanted to add to the Jolteon discussion by providing a quick pro ban perspective that seems to be lacking on the thread, especially since I was one of the council members who pushed for a Jolt suspect over a Goodra one.

I think when it comes to Jolteon, it's easy to look at it as a Pokemon that isn't necessarily traditionally broken because it isn't sweeping every game, but in my eyes, the effect it has on the builder and in game can be quite problematic because of how difficult it can be to take down or wall, especially when factoring in Tera. There's no better Tera abuser in the tier in my experience, which when clicked, limits the amount of defensive counterplay that can actually take advantage of it to essentially Piloswine and your own Tera Ground to catch it Volt Switching out. It does have switch ins in the form of special walls (Copper, Goodra, Dudunsparce, Chansey, etc) but many of them either a) get Volted on, bringing in something that can handle them, or b) Teraed through after some chip. It's also worth noting the Jolt on Jolt interactions on teams where the fastest mon + Volt absorber is Jolteon, which as we've seen in SCL and just in general, can be extremely coinflip based Calm Mind wars where the guy who got lucky comes out on top. Granted, that has to do a lot with shoddy team building, but in my experience, the list of physical Choice Scarf users for speed control is quite bare, limited to Bruxish and Pauros, and those are possibly the best/only offensive counterplay out there once a Calm Mind goes off because of its blazing fast speed tier. I do think that Jolt isn't obscenely broken like it was in the previous meta, but I'm personally leaning in the ban direction for these reasons.

:ss/glastrier:

Glastrier @ Leftovers
Ability: Chilling Neigh
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 92 Def / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute / Crunch
- Icicle Crash
- High Horsepower
I also wanted to just post this Glastrier spread and give this mon a quick shout out, too. We've seen an obviously rise of this Pokemon across SCL last week, and for a very good reason. With its stats + Tera, this Pokemon is capable of beating literally every single thing in the tier 1v1 except for IronPress Levitate Bronzong while setting up a Swords Dance or Substitute on every other defensive Pokemon. I'd highly recommend doing the calcs yourself on this guy, because you'll quickly see what the hype is about.

:glastrier: :palossand: :scyther: :bronzong: :rotom-mow: :grimmsnarl:
bonus team ft. SD Sub Glastrier!

Tis I, the washed formerly very active player who's been caught up in school work but has been baffled by the DNB sentiment in the thread. My opinion probably isn't worth a ton since there is no way I can get reqs in one day while keeping up with things on my end, but I figure my 2 cents can't hurt, the more discussion the better.

:Jolteon:
Most of the DNB arguments I've seen on this thread can be summed up in one of two sentences. Either A) There are a lot of checks to Jolteon due to recent shifts and fitting multiple on a team isn't difficult or B) Jolteon is too reliant on tera in order to beat everything in the tier and that makes it fine because without tera it's just an Electric with no coverage. To both of these arguments I say the same thing that I feel doesn't get said enough during literally any other suspect ever: [insert mon] doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Okay look, let's just assume for the sake of argument that Jolteon doesn't tera in a given game and you have multiple checks on your team, say a SpDef Steel to sponge some hits plus one of the Grounds to block Volt Switch. First of all, just the fact that you have multiple checks on your team speaks to the influence Jolteon has on the builder. I am by no means saying that we'll stop building with defensive Steels and Grounds or offensive Electrics should Jolteon be banned, but I am saying that some of the grounds that lose extra hard to Jolteon (i.e. the ones that still get worn down really quick by non-tera Tera Blast/Shadow Ball like Conda and Palo if it's SBall) will pick up in usage to better reflect their usefulness in a Jolt-less meta. Second, nobody whos been playing the tier for more than 2 seconds is going to build a team without accounting for the weaknesses Jolteon faces. If your only way to break through Grounds is to tera your Jolt, then you've made a poorly built team. You have 5 extra slots to plan out how you are going to make the Ground's lives miserable, which isn't that difficult given how many great special attackers we have that abuse the mostly PhysDef Grounds. Just having Spikes support (which is absurdly easy to fit atm) is enough to wear down the best check we have in Pilo, not to mention invalidating many non-Boots sets on otherwise great Jolt checks in AV Goodra or Leftovers variants of literally everything over the course of a longer game. On a completely unrelated note, Jolteon is probably the best Boots abuser in the tier, and it makes it extremely difficult to punish in an infuriating Scarf Mienshao-esc fashion. Jolteon in general is such a low risk high reward mon, even in the rare instances where it does nothing, the threat of its existence goes a long way. This isn't even mentioning it's superb role as a pivot into other threats or how absurd tera can be.

In short, do I think Jolteon is the most absurd mon to be in NU? No, and idt it's the most broken thing in the tier rn either. But the stranglehold it has on the tier warrants a ban imo. Definitely worth revisiting in the future, but rn, get it (and Goodra) out of here.

P.S. unironically Spikes are like the most toxic element in the tier like every team is superman or Boots spam kill me.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
This is one of the few suspect tests that I don't have a strong opinion on. I've been firmly BAN in the past on Jolteon, but I find it a hard sell to say it's broken in this metagame. There are several trends that have caused this:

:gligar::piloswine: :copperajah::decidueye::goodra::hoopa:
NU just has a lot more Pokemon that contain Jolteon now and make the old "CM and just force your way through teams" strategy less successful. In particular, we've seen Gligar and Piloswine establish themselves as the two best Ground-types in NU---and not because they beat Jolteon and do nothing else. Gligar is a utility menace and functions like Sandaconda has in previous metagames by checking teams' abilities to break past physical walls. Meanwhile, Piloswine is an incredible tank that enables bulky offense and really lacks great switch-ins itself unless you're running Bronzong or Orthworm.

The other few examples above are just Pokemon that can win a one-on-one interaction and force Jolteon to pivot or switch out if it lacks Volt Switch. There are more options of such Pokemon, but I limited it to those few that are particularly relevant at the moment.

Offensive counterplay is also at an all-time high, with just about every standard Choice Scarf user dispatching Jolteon with ease: Bruxish, Heracross, Toxicroak, and even Passimian are all great Jolteon deterrents, and even Rotom-C retains a generally positive matchup with Jolteon defaulting to Tera Fairy a lot more often nowadays to prevent Sucker Punch from Grimmsnarl and Tera Dark Toxicroak from owning it. Even other forms of priority Sneasel's Ice Shard, Hariyama's Bullet Punch, Scyther's Quick Attack, and Lycanroc's Accelerock are commonplace, and hyper offense is the best it's ever been; sand teams in particular are strong, and those are very consistent at turning Jolteon into fodder.

Jolteon still forces the same cringe interactions with the threat of Tera Blast Ice, and even its non-super effective moves can chunk the Ground-types I didn't list. But, I do not think this Pokemon is the same threat it was a few months back when we banned it via council vote.

:SV/Jolteon:
I just finished my suspect run and wanted to make a post explaining my thoughts on Jolteon. Firstly, I didn't use Jolteon myself in the run as I was just cranking out games with a team I really like. Secondly, I dont think I encountered a single game where Jolteon felt bannable, perhaps that's because my team was well prepared for it.

Its already been said, but I really agree with Rabia's post. We've gained many things to diversify how you can defensively pack checks to Jolteon, and offensively we see many options that work to revenge Jolteon. I do think the Tera Fairy adaptation was a cool tech for the Grimm matchup, but I don't like how its taking the spotlight away from Tera Ice. Tera-fairy has a harder time making progress since it can't threaten kills as early.

I'm probably voting DNB.

Here's a quick post on my thoughts from the tier shift! Not many new pokemon, but I think some could have a big impact!

Rises
:Grimmsnarl: This is a huge change for the tier. I don't know if I want to say its a bad thing quite yet, because I was starting to feel like Grimm was maybe a bit too good in the previous meta. Now that it's gone, we lost our premier dark-type, our premier fairy-type, and our premier sucker punch revenger. What it provided was quite unique and I'm not sure if we'll be able to replace it that easily. In a vacuum, this would make Psychic-spam and Dragon-spam alot better, and has removed a great option for teams to revenge offensive structures.

Drops to BL
:Drednaw: Keep this banned; no shot its workable.

:Florges: Unban; The utility set from this pokemon adds SO MUCH to the tier. Unfortunately, I think the CM and Choice sets are going to end up being too good, like they were before. We have more tools now then we did before but in the end I think Florges will be too strong.

Drops
:Drifblim: This was already on the outs when it rose last month. Strength sap in a meta with Goodra is just hard to justify. You're recovery is negated and you're giving a very strong Pokemon in the tier an almost free entry.

:Klefki: This mon is going to wreck havoc on the tier. Our hazard control already feels insufficient, and now we will have Spikes+Twave spam everywhere. Beyond the support options, I genuinely believe the setup set will be able to run away with games. We've seen what Bulky setup+tera has done with other pokemon, and seen how potent draining kiss sets can be. Klefki's amazing typing helps it get those first few turns it needs to get the ball rolling.

:Sandslash-Alola: Snow teams have been waiting for this to come back. This pokemon stole the show last generation and I can see it happening again. Ice/Ground coverage has been showing itself to be incredibly strong recently and I think Sandslash will abuse that quite well. It is notable that it needs Jolly to outspeed Scarf Bruxish/Tauros-Paldea-Blaze, but being able to, unlike Beartic, is huge.

:Vikavolt: This thing with Roost would have been really neat, unfortunately it doesn't have that, and as a result I don't think it adds much that our other electric types don't already provide.

Okay, but seriously now, talking about the tier shifts:

- Losing Grimmsnarl sucks. Losing a great Fairy and Dark type + one of the best priority users in the tier will cause some ripple effects i'm sure of it. At least getting Klefki means we aren't out of Fairy types entirely, but still, hate to see my boy go and be stolen by UU :psycry:

-Klefki seems like it'll be good at the very least. Prankster Spikes and Thunder Wave alone are an annoying, but effective set of things to do, and Steel/Fairy typing is very good for letting it switch in on most of Goodra's moves without much issue, plus resisting both of Scyther's STABs. Also has the choice of running a Calm Mind set which sounds like it could be a pain to deal with for some teams, but I think the majority will still gravitate towards Spikes stacking sets in the long term. also, sneaky prankster weather moves to fuck with Snow and Sand if you wanna be cheeky you heard it from me first

- Alolan Sandslash is the one thing Snow needed to actually be strong, and People have been talking about it getting banned pretty quickly, and I can see it. The 50% defence boost just makes it annoyingly bulky, it outspeeds all relevant scarfers with Jolly, and even with Adamant, the only one that seems super bad to miss out on is Tauros-Paladea-Blaze because Snow makes Bruxish's Wave Crash not even break 40% lol

- Don't listen to anyone else's lies, Drifblim is the greatest Fighting check around, just ask the discord

- Vikavolt seems kinda fun, but that speed stat makes even trying Agility stuff out seem kinda sus. Plus Webs suck ass in NU right now lol. Might mess around with it at some point in the future, but for now, i'm not sold on it

Last edited:

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
:florges: :florges: :florges:

Hi again everyone. Rabia and I have agreed to unban Florges from SV NU and trial it in this new meta. Since the last time Florges was in the tier we've gained a fair bit of potential counterplay in the form of Steel-, Poison-, and Fire-types like Copperajah, Bronzong, Klefki, Sandslash-Alola, Salazzle, and Coalossal, as well as the general power level of the tier growing. That being said, we acknowledge that Florges could still be quite problematic between its Choice Specs and Calm Mind + Tera Blast sets, so we will be conducting a Council Vote on it this weekend after everyone has had a handful of days to play around with it and adapt to its presence in the metagame. Let us know below what your thoughts on Florges are and how you intend on dealing with it both defensively and offensively!

Tagging Kris and Marty to unban Florges from SV NU, thank you.

1698937380127.png
To me Florges is finally the defensive Fairy-type that we need in NU. It checks the powerful Fighting- and Dragon-types like Tauros-Paldean-Blaze, Heracross, Goodra, and Tatsugiri. Additionally utility sets on Florges will be amazing for giving its teammates massive Wish healing. I will acknowledge that Choice specs and Calm Mind + Tera Blast sets will be problematic. However, I feel like we have enough tools to keep Florges in check.

1698937380127.png
Well, I don't see a detriment in giving it a shoot. The worst it can happen is that we ban it again.
1698937380127.png

But honestly the more i think about it, the more i think it will be too meta warping to the tier or at least will be really really good.

We are in the last few weeks discussing how strong Goodra is and in comparison Florges in a similar stats spread body has this pros :

-healing
-setup
-team support
-better typing compared to the meta atm.

The only 3 disadvantages over Goodra IMO:

-Both useless abilitys ,
-Goodra can go physical
-Special Goodra can have a stronger starting burst with Draco

Of all those disadvantages only the ability one can be considered something big.

So unless I'm really not seeing something, we are going to be freeing a mon that is set to be in the top dog conversation.

I'm not even being how the 2 actually can make amazing partners and with maybe some Gligar and some Bronzong we have a extremely hard to break core that is not at all passive.

The Calm Mind Tera Fire/Ground Wish Moonblast variant is what scares me the most.

Well at least like Goodra it has a bad physical defense so Bruxish, Scyter, Copperajah, Bronzong , Toxicroak, Muk... can at least threaten it back.

It has a clear weakness the problem will be if it will be abusable as much it's bulk/support and offensive capabilities will oppress the meta.

So lets test it , but be prepared to regret it :p

Someone pester marty and kris again to let us use florges on ladder plz i wanna ladder

Anyway, while waiting for Ladder to be updated, realized a neat little tech and talked about it in the NU Showdown chat which is Low Kick on Alolan Sandslash. Its main selling point is that it lets you punch (kick?) through Orthworm at +2 with Life Orb, which otherwise walls you out pretty damn hard if you're relying on EQ for nailing non Bronzong Steel types while also hitting Glastrier just as hard as Iron Head would. It does run into the issues of Blaze Tauros, normal Qwilfish, and Klefki becoming much more reliable switchins, while Salazzle and Toxicroak can survive an unboosted attack and kill, but I still think it's a thing worth cosnidering, especially if Orthworm ends up becoming more popular (just ignore the Tera Ghost part of the calcs, forgot to turn it off and it doesn't affect them anyway)

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tera Ghost Sandslash-Alola Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 120+ Def Orthworm: 343-406 (99.7 - 118%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tera Ghost Sandslash-Alola Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Glastrier in Snow: 302-356 (74.7 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (not sure if Glastrier really runs much defence EVs, but it's still a 2HKO at +2 regardless)

Plus it also hits Copperjah harder then EQ will, and can even OHKO reliably with less chip then EQ unboosted. Not the biggest deal, but still a nice little bonus with how much Copperjah is around

252 Atk Life Orb Tera Ghost Sandslash-Alola Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Copperajah: 385-455 (85.9 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Sandslash-Alola (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Ice Spinner
- Swords Dance

Decided on Tera Ghost because it can let you sneak in a free setup turn on walls that try and use Body Press, as well as forces Blaze Tauros to use Flare Blitz, which lets you wear it down more, potentially to the point that Sandslash can break through even without Earthquake. Still using Jolly despite having a worse matchup against Blaze tauros because it's nice to be able to outspeed Scarf Bruxish. Plus, it means any weird, rogue Altaria's trying to be tricky with Cloud Nine need nearly max speed investment to outspeed, and I somehow feel thats not gonna be a real thing even compared to Could Nine Altaria on its own lol. Life Orb gives a lot of very appreciated power to push through things as quick as possible, but HDB is another option to make hazards less of an issue then they already are for Snow teams. Oh, and Ice Spinner is solely because I have had enough rough times from using Grimmsnarl and the 90% accuracy on Play Rough that I just did not want to deal with it here as well, Icicle Crash is perfectly fine to hit a tiny bit harder and the flinch chance

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Hadn't thought about Low Kick before but it does seem to solve most of Alolan Sandslash's coverage woes. I had been struggling to decide on two of Knock Off / Iron Head / Earthquake because all of them offer coverage against foes you may encounter that'll try to defensively check you, and Low Kick pretty much covers everything that Iron Head and Earthquake hit. It's not giving super effective damage necessarily, but the neutral coverage at least seems pretty solid.

Hadn't thought about Low Kick before but it does seem to solve most of Alolan Sandslash's coverage woes. I had been struggling to decide on two of Knock Off / Iron Head / Earthquake because all of them offer coverage against foes you may encounter that'll try to defensively check you, and Low Kick pretty much covers everything that Iron Head and Earthquake hit. It's not giving super effective damage necessarily, but the neutral coverage at least seems pretty solid.
Yeah, Iron Head is like, okay for hitting Florges and Pilowswine hard, and Florges is a pretty important target, but outside of that, it's not really doing a whole lot aside from being STAB. I will say that I did miss out on Klefki also being a thing you miss hitting if you drop Earthquake, but thats mostly just if you predict it coming in because you do not want to try and play prediction games with Klefki and eat a Thunder Wave for your troubles. I did actually think about dropping Knock Off at first, but you lose so much neutral coverage without it, the utility is great, and tossing it means you can't hit Bronzong well at all and Bruxish can live an unboosted Earthquake faily handidly and get damage off with Wave Crash, which is bad if you're running Life Orb

Anyway, actually got to try out the team in a room tour that I won by haxxing poh out with two crits lol. But seriously, I think the team I have made up is decently solid for the amount of skill and knowledge I have, but it definitely needed a better Florges matchup because it came down to critting during a Calm Mind war to win. Sucks to have to accept the worse Blaze Tauros matchup and losing a good Knock Off absorber with swapping out Palossand for Bronzong, but I feel like it's a better overall team if I do so.

Also, thank you Catalisador for telling me that actually, Beartic hits super hard as fuck with Choice Band + Adamant, and I feel it's definitely worth it to try it out as a way to at least weaken teams to Alolan sandslash can come in and clean up, or even to just catch those teams with a scarfer that doesn't handle it well and get torn apart with ease. Plus, even if it's speed isn't the greatest after Slush Rush, it still outspeeds Jolteon, and thus has to be respected

Rabia has there been any consideration for dropping inteleon? While it does hit really hard we have some really potent checks and potentially very potent counters for it in Goodra, Tatsugiri maybe (Has enough special defense to take a hit from inteleon and revenge kill it.), and Florges, as all of these mons are specially fat pokemon that Inteleon does not like in the slightest.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Rabia has there been any consideration for dropping inteleon? While it does hit really hard we have some really potent checks and potentially very potent counters for it in Goodra, Tatsugiri maybe (Has enough special defense to take a hit from inteleon and revenge kill it.), and Florges, as all of these mons are specially fat pokemon that Inteleon does not like in the slightest.
Hes not getting unbanned

As much as I want Inteleon to be unban. However, unbaning Inteleon right now is a very bad idea since NU stills lacks any bulky Water-types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)