Metagame NP: RU Stage 7: Of Moons, Birds, and Monsters (BOTH SUSPECTS BANNED, DISCUSSING NEW META)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who never plays RU but really wants to get into it now, I've been running some calcs and Gator's looking like a ridiculous wallbreaker with SD that nothing can really switch into with ease.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 382-450 (86 - 101.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 503-597 (116.1 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 398-471 (112.4 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 120 HP / 136 Def Alomomola: 286-337 (57 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 263-309 (81.6 - 95.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 368-434 (90.6 - 106.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

And that's just Waterfall and Crunch. It has other moves up it's sleeve like Low Kick/Superpower and Ice Punch for coverage, Dragon Dance if you really want to try a sweep, Double Dance (Agility + SD) if you're really fuckin crazy, and of course Aqua Jet for priority.

I'd also like to mention that with Sheer Force, Crunch reaches a base power of 104, so there's literally no reason to run Return anymore.
Isn't it great how it just switches in with a +2 boost! Also keeping rocks up no matter what A+!!!

Anyways I should probably put something not sarcastic in this post, in the doubles mega salamence suspect a huge problem with a lot of arguments is that they basically assumed that it'll have a DD up no matter what, which is what i see you doing right here. Just food for thought :>

Reactions: zbr
I certainly think Moltres is a problem despite the fact I love using him in RU. I find myself having to find something specifically for it because its STAB moves give it bomb coverage in the tier. Rock types stop them cold but most of them have low special defense and Moltres can pack HP grass for them on LO sets not to mention on choiced sets Moltres can simply U-Turn to the Grass type you should have to make bulky Waters and Rock types not a factor. Great bulk makes it hard to revenge kill without super effective damage or prior damage. SR isnt hard to keep off the field with Spin or Defog (Im thinking Shiftry, Hitmontop).

Personally Id hate to see Moltres go but after it easily cleaned up with a choice scarf I think it should possibly go.

Isn't it great how it just switches in with a +2 boost! Also keeping rocks up no matter what A+!!!

Anyways I should probably put something not sarcastic in this post, in the doubles mega salamence suspect a huge problem with a lot of arguments is that they basically assumed that it'll have a DD up no matter what, which is what i see you doing right here. Just food for thought :>
I think you're missing the point.. in that post all the pokemon that got ripped to shreds were setup on.. because ya' know.. what exactly is rhyperior, cress, steelix, alomomola, doublade, and aromatisse going to do to it? Cress can t-wave I guess? They're just setup fodder. They're RU's primary defensive pokemon (I guess? idk I don't play RU) and there isn't any particular one that can deal without random scald burn hax or running a hindering set like t-wave cress. Unlike VGC setup oppertunities are pretty much thrown at it like candy to shutup a kid.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
From the perspective of playing a stall team on the ladder, I did not find Moltres to be particularly threatening, nor have I from previous runs of the ladder. Any set that does not have Leftovers or Roost gets worn out slowly. The SubRoost set is probably the most troublesome for stall, especially considering Pressure, but it is not unbeatable. Calm Mind and Rest Cresselia or Spiritomb are two possible options, and Rock Blast Rhyperior is a less stalemate-ish alternative. Furthermore, if you account for the need of Defog or Rapid Spin support for Moltres on top of that, Moltres does not seem so scary to me.

As for Pangoro, it seems almost like any other heavy hitter that is affected by Toxic Spikes to stall teams. It dies if you can just tank some hits with Alomomola, Weezing, or some Fairy if you can predict it. Protect is really good for scouting Choice Band sets so you can make the appropriate switch, while also dealing additional poison damage. However, sets with Lum Berry, Substitute, and Swords Dance or Bulk Up are really dangerous. I can't really come up with any solutions for those sets. There are not really any good Roar or Whirlwind users that can stand up to it.

I think you're missing the point.. in that post all the pokemon that got ripped to shreds were setup on.. because ya' know.. what exactly is rhyperior, cress, steelix, alomomola, doublade, and aromatisse going to do to it? Cress can t-wave I guess? They're just setup fodder. They're RU's primary defensive pokemon (I guess? idk I don't play RU) and there isn't any particular one that can deal without random scald burn hax or running a hindering set like t-wave cress. Unlike VGC setup oppertunities are pretty much thrown at it like candy to shutup a kid.
>VGC
anyways yeah I'm not saying it won't have plenty of opportunities to set up just pointing out you should at least look at it from a standpoint of not having a boost up all the time. Not diminishing its worth in any way either.

could've sworn i posted here earlier. maybe it was just me making fun of llama's lack of musical taste? i mean, one might hope that was enough to validate my opinions on most anything, but i suppose it wasn't meant to be.

i greatly dislike the strain both of these pokemon exert upon building; moltres is a pokemon that, provided you offer it a little team support, will give you an enormous advantage from team preview should you bring the appropriate set. i wouldn't go as far as to utilize the term "invalidate" when i describe moltres' ability to influence builds of various playstyles, but its primary sets (lo and scarf, though i won't discredit lefties + status variants) put an excessive strain unto various playstyles in a fashion that one might argue, perhaps me, makes it unhealthy for the metagame. spirit touches upon this well in his post, and i will agree at large with what he puts for there and say that scarf moltres greatly, greatly stymies the feasibility of conventional hyper offense (forcing the use of either moderate momentum drains, such as rhyperior, or other such particular rock-types as to accommodate), while life orb moltres ravages near every balance and semi-stall build out there, to the extent that they are forced to utilize suboptimal techs, such as rindo berry rhyperior or regirock. the primary arguments have always been towards its sr weakness and inaccuracy of moves, but neither greatly encompass the true value of moltres in this metagame. as some average player pointed out earlier in the thread, one cannot build or play under the assumption that 2 hurricanes won't connect in a row, as assuming for as much would suggest that your team needs to risk a 50% occurrence (technically 49% if i'm not mistaken) to handle this pokemon, and risking these odds outright proves that your response is inefficient. this scenario, were it uncommon, might be something to overlook, but this is the case of far too many builds that me be otherwise workable to turn a blind eye to it. many of the other dangerous nukes of the tier are inhibited by far more exploitable, and not theoretically-driven flaws, such as pursuit weaknesses, lack of [immediate] speed, and general lack of durability or staying power, but moltres has no such issues, sans the constantly presented sr weak. while i'll be the first to admit that recent metagame shifts have made hazard removal moderately more difficult, this should by no means be interpreted as an excuse to allow this pokemon; the value to be had of investing so much in hazard removal is rewarded graciously by moltres' various strong points, and is not something i would consider remotely justifiable.

panda is another pokemon i feel to be rather atrocious for the tier. this is a pokemon that exerts as significant of, if not greater, pressure upon defensive and balanced builds than moltres at a notably lower opportunity cost. as an aside, i consider the sd variant w/lum and gunk shot to be the best set, as it actively end-games and disallow flimsy tangrowth checks and what have you. not unlike moltres, it tends to force heavily niche techs from general mediocre or otherwise suboptimal 'mons in order for slower builds to have a chance. now, i don't want this to get confused, i do not think that a pokemon that forces the metagame to adapt is an inherently bad thing, this is obviously not a prudent statement. however, there comes a point, as with most things, where this adaptation becomes excessive to a degree that makes it clear that the alien element, in this case pangoro, is unhealthy for the environment it currently resides.

hope i could influence some folks that are currently on the fence. love you all, see you in the next np. maybe molk will actually listen to me for that one, who knows e_e

Uuuurgh I didn't make it to reqs. I did get a decent read into the tiers so i'll just input some thought in this.

Feraligatr Sheer Force is an absolute monster to behold. A lot of things that used to wall Gatr are now pushed to the side. While it still ails to completely get rid of some pokemon such as Alomomola, it can now hit a lot of things very hard such as Golbat, Amoonguss, and Cresselia. It also gives more competition between him and Tyrantrum for Dragon Dance boosting. Both of these are very new additions that I think are starting to change the metagame.

Before both of these were very negligible but, Dragon Dancing is cool again. With two very good pokemon to use them and thanks to the godsend abilities that they were bestowed, balanced teams in general are much better. Now we have two reliable setup sweepers that don't have to rely on priority or sheer bulk to sweep. The debate between the two comes with either power vs reliability. This will spawn something very beautiful once the metagame calms down after the suspect test.

Oh, and Bangoro and Blind Burd still op. Please ban. :x

Reactions: zbr

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
After getting reqs and playing a bunch of games in the tier, I want to throw my hat in there as No ban on both suspects. Plenty of respectable users have come forward and listed very cogent responses with valid reasons behind their opinion that the suspects should be banned. However, I simply do not share the same sentiment. My thoughts resonate more with what Nails said on the first page. The suspects are fantastic on paper, but they don't translate that overwhelming power into game. They are still fantastic but not banworthy.

In regards to Pangoro, my teams only fell to the panda one time. This was against a Trick Room team where I was simply unprepared for the matchup. In that game, I lost because Pangoro was the one moving first. Any sort of offensive team pressures Pangoro's SD set incredibly hard. The Lum Berry has no utility against offensive teams and the panda is outsped by numerous things commonly seen on faster teams. Things such as Superpower Durant, Hitmonlee, and even the other suspect Moltres can outspeed and OHKO before Pangoro can get its feet off the ground. It is a wonderful stallbreaker that performs well vs balance as well. Despite this, balance can play around it and stall has a few workarounds once you have scouted its set as Nails pointed out.

Moltres is a bit sticky to bring up here as the primary reasons I have for arguing it to stay have already been discounted by numerous posts in this thread. Moltres is 4x weak to Stealth Rock and relies on a 70% accurate STAB move to break half the walls that stop it. Arguing about these points is more or less subjective in my eyes so I don't really see a point to it.

When is the suspect ladder getting removed from Showdown? I thought the ladder period ended yesterday lol
Hey guys, this is sort of out of the blue, but i just wanted to let you all know that i'm going to be giving a one day extension to this suspect test.

User: atomicllamas brought up to me that while it's been exactly two weeks since the OP of the suspect thread was posted, that due to a tagging mishap it actually took a full *two days* for the suspect ladder to get set up, which means that it's only been possible to actually get reqs for 12 days. Because of that, i think it's only fair that i give you guys a little more time to get the reqs.

Good luck and happy laddering! :).

So after playing the tier some more and getting reqs,

I feel that Pangoro deserves the ban. Simply put, pangoro puts too much pressure on defensive teams. It doesn't have reliable switch ins and sd lum can set up on a large portion of the tier.

I think there should be no ban on moltres. While this mon is obviously a top tier threat, I feel like it isn't that hard to handle in the ru meta. The stealth rock weakness is really crippling (especially with gligar gone it isn't that hard to keep rocks on the field), it is reliant on inaccurate moves and I feel that the checks are sufficient. Rhyperior, slowking, kabutops, tyrantrum etc. are enough to handle it in my opinion. Scarf is a great revenge killer, but it lacks roost and is pressured more by stealth rocks because of it. Scarf moltres also doesn't have the power to wall break effectively. Life orb is another great set but it is much easier to handle offensively and still has defensive checks.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't mind the SR weakness argument about Moltres, because thats a legitimate weakness Moltres has, but I really hope the inaccuracy thing isn't playing a huge roll in your decision on Moltres Meowiekins / LessThanThreeMan because even though its true Hurricane is inaccurate, its not like you can play with the mentality that Moltres is going to miss unless you are put in a spot where your only chance to win is Moltres missing. And while it's true that there is a 30% chance for Moltres to miss when using Hurricane, there is also a 34.3% chance that Hurricane will hit 3 times in a row, so you are actually more likely to hit Hurricane 3 times in a row than you are to miss. On top of this, Moltres's great bulk for an offensive mon, access to reliable recovery in roost, and its good defensive typing (barring the SR weakness obviously) mean that a lot of the time a miss won't be fatal for Moltres. The only set that REALLY doesn't like to miss is Choice Scarf Moltres, which in my experience presses the Flamethrower and U-turn button far more than any other. So while yes 70% accuracy is shitty for Moltres, its not like you can play the game as if an opposing Moltres is going to miss, because if you do there is a 100% chance its going to bite you in the ass long term (if not most of the time). So yeah, its cool if you don't think its broken, but saying it has poor accuracy isn't really a good argument .-.

Last edited:

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't mind the SR weakness argument about Moltres, because thats a legitimate weakness Moltres has, but I really hope the inaccuracy thing isn't playing a huge roll in your decision on Moltres Meowiekins / LessThanThreeMan because even though its true Hurricane is inaccurate, its not like you can play with the mentality that Moltres is going to miss unless you are put in a spot where your only chance to win is Moltres missing. And while it's true that there is a 30% chance for Moltres to miss when using Hurricane, there is also a 34.3% chance that Hurricane will hit 3 times in a row, so you are actually more likely to hit Hurricane 3 times in a row than you are to miss. On top of this, Moltres's great bulk for an offensive mon, access to reliable recovery in roost, and its good defensive typing (barring the SR weakness obviously) mean that a lot of the time a miss won't be fatal for Moltres. The only set that REALLY doesn't like to miss is Choice Scarf Moltres, which in my experience presses the Flamethrower and U-turn button far more than any other. So while yes 70% accuracy is shitty for Moltres, its not like you can play the game as if an opposing Moltres is going to miss, because if you do there is a 100% chance its going to bite you in the ass long term (if not most of the time). So yeah, its cool if you don't think its broken, but saying it has poor accuracy isn't really a good argument .-.
Poor accuracy is not the primary reason for my decision and I apologize if my post made it seem that way. The main issue I saw was honestly the Stealth Rock weakness in combination with several solid checks that could force Moltres out and back in again. A team that prioritizes hazards will put tremendous pressure on any team carrying Moltres. Even the Life Orb variants with Roost are pressured very hard as after a single hit you cannot switch into Stealth Rock twice. In my experience, Moltres was certainly a top tier threat but it was entirely possible to play around it with any team I had. The accuracy issue is just another minor thing that helped me make my decision for no ban.

After magically losing to someone who tried to spore my Escavalier i decided that i suck and should not vote so i rage quitted even i needed only 200 more coil. zzz

Moltres is a double edged sword tbh. When using it you hate it, want to fire it and grab a mon who can actully hit. (Good thing i was spamming rain hue hue) Meanwhile if it is on the other side you can't just say let me send my Virizion, skillfully dodge a hurricane and KO with stone edge. All in all blind bird is garbdix in your hands because it keeps failing you but borked when facing because it is a pain in the ass to deal with. Even if i got reqs i would probably be forced to meditate under a cold waterfall so i could make my mind whether i should vote ban or no ban.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'll be voting no ban on Moltres. My thoughts on Pangoro can be found in this post.

Point 1: Its speed stat is too low to sweep.

Its speed stat is not bad, for sure. Outrunning Hitmonlee, Rotom-C, Shiftry, Glalie (pre mega), and I suppose non-scarf Magneton and Exploud is neat. Moltres owns those pokemon. Slow pokemon who run offensive ev spreads tend to get wrecked by faster offensive pokemon. They also all (with a small number of exceptions) get owned by Durant, Houndoom, Mega Glalie, Delphox, Cobalion, Meloetta, Heliolisk... you get the point. Moltres is just another of a group of offensive pokemon who as a group tend to beat each other up based on speed stats. Many, many pokemon are capable of revenge killing Moltres, or forcing it out.

Point 2: Scouting its set is not too difficult.

This is a somewhat subjective statement, but there are plenty of effective answers to Moltres regardless of set. Lanturn, Regirock, Tyrantrum (it should have a Choice Scarf in this meta, other sets are very hit or miss), Assault Vest Slowking, and most Cresselia are good answers to Moltres regardless of its item. Rhyperior, the most common Moltres switch, is very very solid as well, only fearing Life Orb HP Grass. The scariest a Moltres should ever be is the turn before it uses an attack, because you have to respect the damage and ability to change moves of the Life Orb set and the speed of the Choice Scarf set. Once it reveals whether it has Life Orb recoil or not, you can either force it to switch out with a faster pokemon in the case of the LO set or switch to a resist if it has a Choice Scarf. Why this works effectively for handling Moltres and not other pokemon is that it cannot run other items anywhere nearly as effectively as other pokemon. Leftovers sets and Expert Belt sets miss out on the power of Life Orb, as Moltres has mediocre super-effective coverage and needs a damage boosting item to get 1hkoes and 2hkoes. Choice Specs sets run into the issues of Scarf and LO sets, and I guess an Assault Vest set (no one uses this shit) would lack both power, speed, and recovery.

Point 3: Dealing with each individual set is not difficult.

For Choice Scarf sets: Keep a resist to its stabs healthy, or a pokemon with recovery who is neutral to its attacks. It doesn't do that much damage to neutral targets. Keeping rocks up is key here, and part of the matchup. The better player will control rocks on the Moltres user's side of the field, that's part of the skill required to play pokemon. It would probably be broken if it could switch into rocks 4 times, but the fact that scarf sets are so reliant on keeping hazards clear makes them require a lot of support, and they lack the power to do anything more devastating than clean a weakened team. Faster scarfers are good here, and priority owns it as well, because it cannot switch into rocks twice if it has taken any damage at all. Hitting it with a Thunder Wave or Stun Spore on the switch in takes it completely out of the game, and Knock Off removes a lot of its threat as well. It really can't switch into many pokemon effectively because of how easily crippled it is.

For Life Orb sets: The general principles stay the same, except the "defensive pokemon with recovery" group gets swapped out for "offensive pokemon with more than base 90 speed". It's difficult to switch into if you didn't bring a good pokemon to switch into it, sure. Houndoom fits that criteria too (I'd argue LO Houndoom is more difficult to switch into than LO Moltres, due to Dark Pulse having better neutral coverage with Fire Blast and Nasty Plot threatening pokemon who sit and eat attacks while recovering) and no one is arguing to ban it. If you give a Life Orb Moltres free turns to attack you're gonna have a bad time. If you give Life Orb Heliolisk free turns you're gonna have a bad time. You have to account for it in teambuilding of course; if you want to use Tangrowth or Amoongus, you might consider adding a Lanturn so that it doesn't ravage you every time they bring it in. If you use a team that has Rhyperior and can't switch into Tangrowth, you're going to give up free kills every time it comes in and you'll probably lose. This is true for every pokemon usable in RU. Moltres is not an exception.

Point 4: It cannot safely switch in to much.

I've hit on this before, but there are so, so few pokemon that are used in RU that Moltres can come in on without being crippled. Whether it has to risk getting statused on the way in (paraed Moltres is barely a threat) or taking a super effective attack off one of its many common weaknesses, it just doesn't get many chances. Its two 4x resists, grass and bug, aren't very usable. Grass attacks are paired with stun spore frequently, while the most common bug attack (already an uncommon attacking type) is u-turn, and coming in when they get a free switch is no good, since you have to switch out again in most situations. Its ground resist for the same reason isn't very usable, as it's frequently paired with rock-type coverage. The fighting resist is neat, but offensive sets struggle to take some resisted fighting attacks (252+ Atk Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Moltres: 187-220 (58.2 - 68.5%)).

I think that those four points pretty much summarize why I don't think Moltres is broken. I'll end my post by saying that Choice Scarf Tyrantrum is a top 5 pokemon and it makes Moltres its bitch, so that mon getting released honestly what pushed me from being undecided into no-ban territory.

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
bangoro

as 49 said, this thing just puts an absurd strain on teambuilding, with really no legitimate switchins on offense, and the band set forces you to run pokes like alomola or defensive qwilfish to avoid sacking something everytime u come in. Not to mention a taunt or 3 attacks SD set, which is probably a slow team's worst nightmare in the meta atm (as well as its best set in my eyes), pretty much a guaranteed 6-0. While it is slow and not too bulky, its got great typing that lets it force out various pokemon in the tier such as doublade, rock types and most slightly weakened defensive pokes b/c of its sheer power. Pangoro is really unhealthy for the meta.

ban moltres

same as every generation, I feel that spike stacking pushes moltres over the edge. It already has very very limited switchins, and with SR and spikes down, which is pretty fuckin easy given the multitude of hazard users as well as decent spinblockers, those few switchins turn into a handful of pokemon that can switchin once. I'm a huge fan of its scarf set, which is a really effective lategame sweeper and revenge killer. You can easily u-turn out of your opponent's check (lanturn, slowking, jellcent), wearing them down with hazards (i used an omastar lead) and easily forcing them out with something like pangoro for example. Although I know I said there are a lot of good hazard users, it isn't too hard with hitmonlee, kabutops and even shiftry being great hazards removers that have rly good synergy with moltres for the most part. If you remove hazards, you've got a decently fast pokemon that absolutely nukes everything, and is pretty bulky to boot. While it did just get a really solid check in tyrantrum, I've heard people asking for that to go as well, and even if it stays in the tier, it suffers the same fate as most other moltres "checks" in that it gets hit hard by hazards + hurricane, hell even hurricane alone, or can just be easily u-turned out of with hazards and 2hkod the next time around. Same as pangoro, I think moltres is really unhealthy for the meta, although less so. Its also one of my favorite pokemon to use, super fun, so RIP fire bird D:

so yeah, i'll give my thoughts on suspects:

There's really not that much more to add to Pangoro, and I feel the same way as most people that its pretty unhealthy. It's extremely difficult for stall to handle, so much so that the entire archetype is near unviable. It's noticeably less effective against offense, but it is still able to get at least one kill and/or cripple multiple mons. Stuff like Doublade, Slowking, Skuntank, and basically anything slower than Goro that is within KO range of Knock Off falls prey to Pangoro. Yes, many mons on offense can outspeed and ko it, but if you run even a single thing slower than it (it's unrealistic to say otherwise), Pangoro can potentially get an opening and dish out heavy damage (which it does every single time it does get said opening). Obviously, it won't be 6-0ing offensive teams, or close to that, but the fact that it can still pull weight against offensive teams, while destroying an entire playstyle single-handedly, makes it broken.

Moltres should also be banned imo. I don't really think its broken in the fullest sense of the word, moreso that it is very unhealthy on teambuilding. Keeping SR up is often not enough of a criteria to deal with it for offensive teams, making them resort to specific scarf Moltres checks (which are limited to pretty much AV Kabutops, Rhyperior, and Tyrantrum on offense) every time, which are often unreliable as they can be pivoted off of thanks to U-Turn. For LO, it distinguishes itself from other wallbreakers like Hitmonlee and Exploud in that it is that a) its fairly fast, b) it has reliable recovery meaning it can play much more aggressively, and c) near perfect coverage with the ability to pivot on things it cannot hit, making it significantly more threatening to slower teams, which often employ passive/chip damage to wear down threats such as Moltres. Yes, Moltres cannot carry both a Choice Scarf and LO, but you have to prepare for both during teambuilding, so regardless of what set you encounter during an actual match, the pressure it has caused is already done. Also, Agility Moltres seems to have fallen under the radar, but it allows extremely felxibility to various playstyles, shifting from a powerful wallbreaker w/ Modest LO, to a solid win con that can clean against offensive teams. In total, its different sets are powerful enough to severely strain every single playstyle, and the tier would be much better imo with it gone.

So for both I'd say ban.

I'll be voting no ban on moltres. My thoughts on Pangoro can be found in this post.

Point 1: Its speed stat is too low to sweep.

Its speed stat is not bad, for sure. Outrunning Hitmonlee, Rotom-C, Shiftry, Glalie (pre mega), and I suppose non-scarf Magneton and Exploud is neat. Moltres owns those pokemon. Slow pokemon who run offensive ev spreads tend to get wrecked by faster offensive pokemon. They also all (with a small number of exceptions) get owned by Durant, Houndoom, Mega Glalie, Delphox, Cobalion, Meloetta, Heliolisk... you get the point. Moltres is just another of a group of offensive pokemon who as a group tend to beat each other up based on speed stats. Many, many pokemon are capable of revenge killing Moltres, or forcing it out.

Point 2: Scouting its set is not too difficult.

This is a somewhat subjective statement, but there are plenty of effective answers to Moltres regardless of set. Lanturn, Regirock, Tyrantrum (it should have a Choice Scarf in this meta, other sets are very hit or miss), Assault Vest Slowking, and most Cresselia are good answers to Moltres regardless of its item. Rhyperior, the most common Moltres switch, is very very solid as well, only fearing Life Orb HP Grass. The scariest a Moltres should ever be is the turn before it uses an attack, because you have to respect the damage and ability to change moves of the Life Orb set and the speed of the Choice Scarf set. Once it reveals whether it has Life Orb recoil or not, you can either force it to switch out with a faster pokemon in the case of the LO set or switch to a resist if it has a Choice Scarf. Why this works effectively for handling Moltres and not other pokemon is that it cannot run other items anywhere nearly as effectively as other pokemon. Leftovers sets and Expert Belt sets miss out on the power of Life Orb, as Moltres has mediocre super-effective coverage and needs a damage boosting item to get 1hkoes and 2hkoes. Choice Specs sets run into the issues of Scarf and LO sets, and I guess an Assault Vest set (no one uses this shit) would lack both power, speed, and recovery.

Point 3: Dealing with each individual set is not difficult.

For Choice Scarf sets: Keep a resist to its stabs healthy, or a pokemon with recovery who is neutral to its attacks. It doesn't do that much damage to neutral targets. Keeping rocks up is key here, and part of the matchup. The better player will control rocks on the Moltres user's side of the field, that's part of the skill required to play pokemon. It would probably be broken if it could switch into rocks 4 times, but the fact that scarf sets are so reliant on keeping hazards clear makes them require a lot of support, and they lack the power to do anything more devastating than clean a weakened team. Faster scarfers are good here, and priority owns it as well, because it cannot switch into rocks twice if it has taken any damage at all. Hitting it with a Thunder Wave or Stun Spore on the switch in takes it completely out of the game, and Knock Off removes a lot of its threat as well. It really can't switch into many pokemon effectively because of how easily crippled it is.

For Life Orb sets: The general principles stay the same, except the "defensive pokemon with recovery" group gets swapped out for "offensive pokemon with more than base 90 speed". It's difficult to switch into if you didn't bring a good pokemon to switch into it, sure. Houndoom fits that criteria too (I'd argue LO Houndoom is more difficult to switch into than LO Moltres, due to Dark Pulse having better neutral coverage with Fire Blast and Nasty Plot threatening pokemon who sit and eat attacks while recovering) and no one is arguing to ban it. If you give a Life Orb Moltres free turns to attack you're gonna have a bad time. If you give Life Orb Heliolisk free turns you're gonna have a bad time. You have to account for it in teambuilding of course; if you want to use Tangrowth or Amoongus, you might consider adding a Lanturn so that it doesn't ravage you every time they bring it in. If you use a team that has Rhyperior and can't switch into Tangrowth, you're going to give up free kills every time it comes in and you'll probably lose. This is true for every pokemon usable in RU. Moltres is not an exception.

Point 4: It cannot safely switch in to much.

I've hit on this before, but there are so, so few pokemon that are used in RU that Moltres can come in on without being crippled. Whether it has to risk getting statused on the way in (paraed Moltres is barely a threat) or taking a super effective attack off one of its many common weaknesses, it just doesn't get many chances. Its two 4x resists, grass and bug, aren't very usable. Grass attacks are paired with stun spore frequently, while the most common bug attack (already an uncommon attacking type) is u-turn, and coming in when they get a free switch is no good, since you have to switch out again in most situations. Its ground resist for the same reason isn't very usable, as it's frequently paired with rock-type coverage. The fighting resist is neat, but offensive sets struggle to take some resisted fighting attacks (252+ Atk Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Moltres: 187-220 (58.2 - 68.5%)).

I think that those four points pretty much summarize why I don't think Moltres is broken. I'll end my post by saying that Choice Scarf Tyrantrum is a top 5 pokemon and it makes Moltres its bitch, so that mon getting released honestly what pushed me from being undecided into no-ban territory.
You made cogent points here that I largely resonate with, though I disagree with the 1st point. I would argue that moltres's fearsome wallbreaking ability with powerful STABs not resisted by the majority of the ru tier is the most concerning rather than it not being as capable as a sweeper(though i still think moltres can function as a solid cleaner/sweeper with its scarf set) . The only set where i saw moltres as a cleaner/sweeper is the scarf set (I personally find the lo set to be its best set). Furthermore, i think base 90 speed is still pretty damn solid, outspeeding hitmonlee, non scarf Rotom-C, m-glalie pre-evo, hitmonlee, and below who are relatively common staples on more offensive teams while comfortedly exhibiting offensive pressure on more defensive/balanced teams. It's subtoxic set still does well in weakening its switch ins (even lo hits them most of them decently hard) and other than slowking and cress, the rest of them lack reliable recovery, further helping in weakening them or requiring wish support. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never saw much of a point in using Regirock over Rhyperior other than being a better answer to moltres (and I guess not being as weak to grass/water moves). Cress and slowking still considerably take a lot from lo fire blasts/hurricanes (especially if Slowking isn't the shitty av set). I do largely agree with you, though what concerns me is the momentum strain moltres can put on teams (most answers to moltres aren't full stops and still struggle with subtoxic) or even the raw power it can provide alone.

To share because I can, I made a better DD gatr spread. Just to cement it to everybody, this is THE best Gatr set you should be using.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

232 Spe / Jolly Nature allows it to outspeed Hitmonlee (Adamant), Braviary (Adamant), Tyrantrum, Emboar, and Medicham (Adamant). At +1 it can outspeed everything under max invested Accelgor. This is important because adding those few Spe EVs can actually outspeed Scarf / 1+ boosted Tyrantrum. Enjoy~

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
You made cogent points here that I largely resonate with, though I disagree with the 1st point. I would argue that moltres's fearsome wallbreaking ability with powerful STABs not resisted by the majority of the ru tier is the most concerning rather than it not being as capable as a sweeper(though i still think moltres can function as a solid cleaner/sweeper with its scarf set) . The only set where i saw moltres as a cleaner/sweeper is the scarf set (I personally find the lo set to be its best set). Furthermore, i think base 90 speed is still pretty damn solid, outspeeding hitmonlee, non scarf Rotom-C, m-glalie pre-evo, hitmonlee, and below who are relatively common staples on more offensive teams while comfortedly exhibiting offensive pressure on more defensive/balanced teams. It's subtoxic set still does well in weakening its switch ins (even lo hits them most of them decently hard) and other than slowking and cress, the rest of them lack reliable recovery, further helping in weakening them or requiring wish support. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never saw much of a point in using Regirock over Rhyperior other than being a better answer to moltres (and I guess not being as weak to grass/water moves). Cress and slowking still considerably take a lot from lo fire blasts/hurricanes (especially if Slowking isn't the shitty av set). I do largely agree with you, though what concerns me is the momentum strain moltres can put on teams (most answers to moltres aren't full stops and still struggle with subtoxic) or even the raw power it can provide alone.
I don't think subtoxic is a good set because rhyperior is everywhere and rock blast doesn't care about sub, and because it loses all of its speed which it needs desperately. And I don't think rocks are easy to remove in this meta, and subroost cares more about losing hp to rocks than offensive sets.

As for regirock, access to twave is pretty cool. Rhyperior is a better pokemon for sure though. Oh and AV slowking is pretty neat.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think subtoxic is a good set because rhyperior is everywhere and rock blast doesn't care about sub, and because it loses all of its speed which it needs desperately. And I don't think rocks are easy to remove in this meta, and subroost cares more about losing hp to rocks than offensive sets.

As for regirock, access to twave is pretty cool. Rhyperior is a better pokemon for sure though. Oh and AV slowking is pretty neat.
Alright if you're trying to stall shit out with Moltres and Rhyperior is still alive you may have goofed somewhere. SubToxic is an amazing set and while it does sacrifice offensive prowess it more than makes up for it with amazing utility.

Sorry, but Gligar wasn't the only fucking hazard remover (this isn't directed at you as much as everyone who thinks hazards are always there) YOUVE got Hitmonlee. You've got Shiftry. Skuntank. Golbat. Xatu stops shit from even coming on your side. Kabutops. It's not hard to put one of these on and keep hazards off, especially when a good chunk beat the premier spinblocker Doublade (in order- Knock Off + Sucker Punch, Knock Off or Dark Pulse, any Dark Move, Golbat loses, Heat Wave, Kabu has a run) so yeah. SubToxic Moltres with support still goes in. Doesn't matter since fire bird will become a banned deucer faster than someone who leaked Haunter's nudes on the Photo thread.

Yeah looks like i was ninja'd, but I don't think hazard removal is as unreliable even with gligar gone. Some of the solid hazard removers like hitmonlee, shiftry, skuntank, etc. synergize pretty damn well offensively with moltres and in some ways defensively as well. Furthermore, the former deal pretty well with the prevalent rhyperior while the latter can pursuit trap the annoying cress. Hazard removal is a bit more annoying to accomplish in that gligar pretty much defogged really easily but there are certainly capable hazard removers. Though rhyperior is a bitch, subtoxic still has its merits in luring in and weakening its checks and rhyperior isn't that difficult to weaken anyway with lefties as its only for of recovery. I wouldn't want to sub if rhyperior is still present anyway. I forgot about regirock having t wave :] (I mainly used one on stall for both moltres and during the m-pidgeot meta).

Nails

Double Threat
Alright if you're trying to stall shit out with Moltres and Rhyperior is still alive you may have goofed somewhere. SubToxic is an amazing set and while it does sacrifice offensive prowess it more than makes up for it with amazing utility.

Sorry, but Gligar wasn't the only fucking hazard remover (this isn't directed at you as much as everyone who thinks hazards are always there) YOUVE got Hitmonlee. You've got Shiftry. Skuntank. Golbat. Xatu stops shit from even coming on your side. Kabutops. It's not hard to put one of these on and keep hazards off, especially when a good chunk beat the premier spinblocker Doublade (in order- Knock Off + Sucker Punch, Knock Off or Dark Pulse, any Dark Move, Golbat loses, Heat Wave, Kabu has a run) so yeah. SubToxic Moltres with support still goes in. Doesn't matter since fire bird will become a banned deucer faster than someone who leaked Haunter's nudes on the Photo thread.
Most of them can be denied pretty easily except skunk because it can hit offensive mons pretty hard with sucker and has a decent amount of things it can come in on. Like, it's a key part of the matchup vs Moltres, but these things are really hard to talk about in the abstract. "The pokemon that I feel are strong in the meta right now and should be used a lot match up well vs Moltres and various defoggers and spinners that partner well with Moltres" is honestly how I decided to vote no ban, but it's extremely unsatisfying to discuss things like that. I don't think subtoxic Moltres is a good pokemon or ever worth using because of the sr weakness and the fact that it doesn't beat many of the moltres checks that I think are good in this meta. I think rocks are fairly easy to keep up, and you don't. It comes down to really complex differences in teambuilding we have, and how threats are handled, so idk how else to say it except "I guess we're gonna have to disagree on this".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)