Metagame NP: RU Stage -1: Message to Oglemi, Nails, and Honko (VENOMOTH STOLEN FROM US))

Status
Not open for further replies.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh lol, yeah, that would make a lot more sense. Zoro is actually something I've never tried, and I kinda want to try it now. Seems interesting.
I tried it for the first time a few days ago, and I like it quite a bit. It works well with the many Fighting-types in the tier, and has particularly good synergy with Emboar as both take equal damage from all forms of entry hazards. This augments the fact Zoro generally has an easy time with the bulky Psychic- and Water-type Pokemon that can deal with Emboar while a Choice Scarf Emboar can make for a good offensive check to Durant.

Anyway, to carry on from MikeDawg's post about Zoro, it is incredibly versatile. It has good STAB moves on both ends of the spectrum, 3 great boosting moves (don't forget Agility!) and it has the ability to utilize about every Choice item (Scarf is kinda meh though) Thinking about it takes me back to DPP OU and another threat that played very similarly; Lucario. Zoroark is better than this though imo since it can viably go with a mixed set thanks to its power and Speed (much better than Luke) Another big benefit is Illusion. So long as Zoroark has good synergy with it, you can use Zoro as a disguise for about any sweeper in the tier. Stuff like Emboar, Durant, Virizion, and Moltres all have at least some of their counters nuked by Zoroark before the opponent can react. Zoro can sweep on its own as well thanks to access to all of SD, NP, and Agility. If there's a role you need fulfilled on an offensive team and you don't already have a Dark-type (which you probably don't if you aren't using Sharpedo) then I would highly recommend giving Zoroark a try. It has great versatility, and can do just about anything offensively. Just keep in mind that it's frail as fuck and will p. much die to any decently powered neutral attack, so you need to be taking stuff down or getting the heck out of dodge with U-turn.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Another possible use for illusion is with regenerator mons
Disguising as amoongus or slowking or alom is both easy and effective, as regenerator can keep them at full health even while still checking things.
Switching in zoro disguised as one of these to a poke they hard counter puts the opponent in a verrrrry sticky situation

EDIT: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-118150157
(skip to end)

Zoroark is bulky af

Last edited:
Idk if has been posted yet, but a set I have been having fun with is colbur berry mismagius. On my Sticky Web team (where a spinblocker is important af), Mismagius has the ability to switch into Hitmonlee and Sandslash, even on Knock Off. That way it can successfully DBond or Dazzling Gleam, keeping the hazards up. It can also set up Nasty Plot on Hitmontop without fearing Sucker Punch and can set up on Escavalier's Knock Off and KO with around 60% which is funny. Zoroark's Sucker Punch can still KO (85-100%) tho with some damage. But getting away from random Pursuit users is fun. :o

I just played against a colbur berry mismagius and I was underwhelmed. at 60/60/105 defenses, you dont want that thing taking ANY hits. It came in on my mixed emboar's superpower, setup a NP as i fire blasted, and still took ~42% from sucker punch with the colbur berry. imo colbur berry doesn't do it's job well enough to merit use

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Things I like:
- LO Heliolisk
- LO Hitmonlee
- Tank Rhyperior
- Scarf Moltres
- Delphox (any Blaze set)

Things that blow:
- Scarf Heliolisk
- Sharpedo without DBond
- LO Exploud
- Hazard Lead Smeargle
- Oglebum

cyberacc

formerly Suckingmoreducks
Posted this in the wrong thread b4, so imma just copypaste it and put it here for you to read ( also I do know now that Flying gem isn't available currently, pls no flamerinos :(( ).

I have NO IDEA if this thing has even been mentioned yet, but I see some potential in an RU favourite from last gen;
Swords Dance Sceptile!

This is the Acro + flying gem sweeper, and again, I do see potential in it with the advent of big water and ground types in RU, like Swampert and Gastrodon. Here is an example set from my RU team in the making, 'ru-ssian team' (HARR GET IT).

cyka (Sceptile) (F) @ Flying Gem
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance

Posted this in the wrong thread b4, so imma just copypaste it and put it here for you to read ( also I do know now that Flying gem isn't available currently, pls no flamerinos :(( ).

I have NO IDEA if this thing has even been mentioned yet, but I see some potential in an RU favourite from last gen;
Swords Dance Sceptile!

This is the Acro + flying gem sweeper, and again, I do see potential in it with the advent of big water and ground types in RU, like Swampert and Gastrodon. Here is an example set from my RU team in the making, 'ru-ssian team' (HARR GET IT).

Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
But Flying Gem is unreleased ):

Swords Dance Sceptile!

Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
Yeah, a set similar to this was mentioned (I don't remember where), but gems other than Normal Gem are unavailable in XY. Instead, Herbs and Berries must be used like in this set:
Sceptile @ White Herb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake/Drain Punch
I prefer EQ over Drain Punch since Sceptile really needs the power and Ground is just as good as Fighting when paired with Flying.
EDIT: Foiled again. Greninjas!

Yeah, a set similar to this was mentioned (I don't remember where), but gems other than Normal Gem are unavailable in XY. Instead, Herbs and Berries must be used like in this set:
Sceptile @ White Herb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake/Drain Punch
I prefer EQ over Drain Punch since Sceptile really needs the power and Ground is just as good as Fighting when paired with Flying.
EDIT: Foiled again. Greninjas!
This set if fantastic in NU, So I guess it can do wonders in RU aswell. Drain punch is way to weak on this set imo, EQ is way better. It also makes Dragalge and Skuntank less of a pain in the ass.

+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 498-586 (121.4 - 142.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 273-322 (66.5 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 153-180 (45.8 - 53.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 276-326 (82.6 - 97.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Anyone have a good Torterra set? He seems like he has potential (scarf, CB, good movepool, curse, SD, leech seed, SR, etc.)
I've been using this set for a while; it does its job fine
Torterra @ Choice Band
Ablility: Overgrow (if someone claims Shell armour is better for it then I'll consider switching it)
EVs: 252 Atk/ 86 Def /170 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Bullet Seed
-Wood Hammer

Bullet seed is mainly there to break subs; it actually got me a lot of suprise KOs

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The impact that Froslass has on RU is pretty ridiculous; spinners can't touch it (especially if another Ghost-type is used) and there are like 2-3~ viable Defog users (2 of which are vulnerable to its STAB)

Venomoth is obviously a problem, but Froslass shouldn't be ignored either.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Well, Kabutops beats it (unless uninvested shadow Ball 2HKO's).
Not really. Destiny Bond is kind of a thing and Froslass can just use Destiny Bond if it has to face Kabu one versus one, which then puts a ridiculous 50/50 into effect. Point of the matter is that Kabutops doesn't really beat Froslass, nor is it guaranteed to due to the options Froslass can use to keep it in line and due to the perplexing mind games involved with it. This is the way Froslass plays.

Not like Kabutops is really common anyway nor the best at hazard removal lol.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not really. Destiny Bond is kind of a thing and Froslass can just use Destiny Bond if it has to face Kabu one versus one, which then puts a ridiculous 50/50 into effect. Point of the matter is that Kabutops doesn't really beat Froslass, nor is it guaranteed to due to the options Froslass can use to keep it in line or play ridiculous mind games with it. This is the way Froslass plays.

Ya, I guess. However, it certainly does limit the amount of hazards to only 1 if Lass sets up first.

I'm not trying to say Lass is bad or anything. It certainly deserves S rank.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Not really. Destiny Bond is kind of a thing and Froslass can just use Destiny Bond if it has to face Kabu one versus one, which then puts a ridiculous 50/50 into effect. Point of the matter is that Kabutops doesn't really beat Froslass, nor is it guaranteed to due to the options Froslass can use to keep it in line and due to the perplexing mind games involved with it. This is the way Froslass plays.

Just a nitpick, would kabutops not waterfall/stone edge, and then aqua jet to avoid the dbond?

phantom

Banned deucer.
Just a nitpick, would kabutops not waterfall/stone edge, and then aqua jet to avoid the dbond?
Froslass can just use Destiny Bond as Kabutops makes the move for the first attack. That's where the 50/50 is. Not like you need to stay in on Kabu, considering Cobalion and Virizion manhandle it anyway, but still.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Froslass can just use Destiny Bond as Kabutops makes the move for the first attack. That's where the 50/50 is.
But if lass uses dbond first turn, then it isn't setting up hazards.

At which point kabutops can switch out to a faster/scarf/priority mon and limit lass to 1 layer.

To be fair, I am assuming that kabutops does not need to switch into lass (which is quite likely as a first turn match up). But if you are insinuating that this occurs mid-battle, and so tops will need to make the switch in, then you cannot ignore the possibility of lass taking damage from hazards/attacks and the need for her to switch in as well. Plus, all of the time that she was not in battle is time that the hazards are not being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)