Metagame np: PU Stage 3 - Monster House (mid-December Tier Shift)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's a Monster House! 4 new legendaries, plenty of returning faces from SM including sore losses like Mesprit and Togedemaru, and some big holdouts we've been waiting for NU to finally toss our way. Snake is being played entirely in the pre-DLC meta but fortunately the start of PUWC is less than a day away so we can really get started playing with all these new toys. However, that also means that council will be voting today on the few drops that seem absolutely out of PU's league. This at minimum includes Mesprit, Zygarde-10%, Guzzlord, Frosmoth, Cinccino, and Kingler. Anything banned will have the potential for a retest, but don't forget there is going to be a second mid-month shift on the 15th anyway that will likely take away some of our more insane new toys anyway.
Two things I'm still waiting for confirmation on that people should be aware of: UU was planning to unban all of UUBL when the shift hit, if they choose to unban Drizzle then we'll need to ban it ourselves or risk incurring the wrath of Politoed. Also Tangela rose from PU to RU and it's not clear if it should be dropping right back to PU this shift, waiting on confirmation for whether or not we'll get it.
e: Drizzle is free, Tangela is not

Feel free to post about what looks fun, what looks broken, and what your experiences with the new meta are. Please, no random 1-liners or posts that are just random 1-liners about 20 different Pokemon.

Last edited:
All i want to say is...Zydog in PU is fucking unbelievable, what kind of shit is this? All the other pokemon are pretty reasonable to be in PU, and the NU drops..I kinda get. But Zydog, I dont get it one bit..Maybe it had trash HP and stuff, but the DD and Speed? It has to be atleast NU, not PU. I am telling you Zydog is going to be a big problem for you. Sub + Glare, is going to make you take your device and punch it so hard, it blows up. Other than that, the mons coming to PU, are reasonable, they were here last year and this year, for the same reasons. Some of them i dont think belongs though, is Magmortar, Rhydon, Sandaconda, and Kingler

Also Tangela rose from PU to RU and it's not clear if it should be dropping right back to PU this shift, waiting on confirmation for whether or not we'll get it.​
Hm, as I look at it as of right now, Tangela dropping to PU is unlikely for me, Tangela is such a great tank, access to Regenerator, and annoying healing moves. That's literally the reason it rose. I didnt care about PU then, but I assumed it rose for this reason, because I had played it and it is goooooood. It was even used alot in NU. Without Tangela, mons like Lycanroc, Bewear, Golurk and other physical mons that hit like a truck, becomes more troublesome for RU, so Tangela dropping from there, im pretty sure is unlikely, They need Tangela, we still got them mons that have enough bulk such as
Type:Null, Corsola, and Mareanie (not recommended, not even close to being good as toxapex, even with Eviolite).

Zydog, kingler, and frosmoth all look to be stupidly problematic. Their boosting moves look to be too much and can easily break through the tier's best defensive mons. Other stuff that might be tough include mespirit and guzzlord, though they might not be on the level of the other 3. Looking long term, we probably wont keep magmortar, boots are gonna make it very solid in NU where they want some fire types. Most of the mons that dropped seem fine, especially the NU drops. Drizzle is stupid and we should ban it before it ruins everything. Otherwise, glad to see this tier developing and we will get even more mons as the shifts continue.

Glad Rotom dropped, we need more fast special Electric types with 1 coverage move each to help diversify the tier.

Cinccino, Carracosta and Sandaconda will fit in nicely I think, maybe Cinccino is a bit much but I don't think he's too much stronger than Kanga and Jolteon tbh.

Sandaconda in particular is a nice addition as a defensive Rocker more so than as a sand setter. More ground types definitely helps the tier.

I kinda want to keep Mesprit, because we have a lack of Ground immunities and resists, but it is a bit strong.

Altaria will fit nicely and give our Licky pal a run for his money as a Cleric especially with Boots.

As someone who hasn't played PU before this gen I do agree that Guzzlord and Zydog look too strong for the tier and Drizzle is an abomination that needs banning yesterday.

Otherwise all the drops look decent or completely inconsequential.

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
WTF, I'm so excited right now, thay may be the biggest change PU got in its entire history. The tier will never be the same after this.
Here the mons I expect being either too strong or quickbanned soon: :mesprit: :zygarde-10%: :kingler: :frosmoth: :rhydon: :guzzlord: and maybe :cinccino:
Can't write a huge post at the moment but I will later!

So Magmortar looks insane. PU already didn't have great switchins to Heatmor, but Magmortar is wayyyy stronger. You cover most of the tier with Fire Blast/TBolt/Scorching Sands, and then you can fit on Teleport for momentum. Seems insane to deal with, especially since it can run Boots and still annihilate most "switch-ins." Pretty much the only solid potential check I can see is maybe Guzzlord, and even then Magmortar can run Focus Blast to deal a good chunk (or just pivot out with Teleport). This, Zydog, Frosmoth, Cincinno, and Kingler seem pretty insane, I don't think they'll stick around for too long. Really excited for the rest of the drops though!

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There was a nice discussion in PU discord about the potentially broken Pokemon that came down with the large shift. Here is just a small recap of the discussion (at least from my prespective).

The Brokens
:Kingler: :Magmortar: :Guzzlord: :Zygarde-10%:
Magmortar is basically a product of the current metagame where there are very weak Fire-resistant Pokemon. Access to moves like Taunt, Toxic, Thunderbolt, Scorching Sands, and Focus Blast really helps to shut down its limited counterplay, especially when you factor in Magmortar's deceptively decent bulk and Speed. Kingler and Guzzlord (I gonna lump them together) are in the same boat as two Pokemon that hit really, really hard and have very little switch-ins. Kingler is a menace with SD and Agility and the ability to go through its checks like Qwilifish and Gourgeist with options like Knock Off, Stomping Tantrum, X-Scissor, Rock Slide, and Superpower. On the other hand, Guzzlord is blessed with an amazing STAB combo, making Specs really effective, and the ability to go a mixed set, meaning Alcremie and Steel-types have to be fearful of a potential Heavy Slam/Sludge Bomb or Hammer Arm/Fire Blast. Zydog is the last of the four and prolly the most simplest one. Clicking Thousand Arrows is pretty straightforward and less punishable, especially with no Pursuit. Its very fast, hits decently hard, and has +2 priority.

The Potentially Brokens
:Mesprit: :Frosmoth: :Cinccino: :Absol:
Mesprit and Frosmoth were in discussion for being bonkers. On one hand, we have two strong set-up Pokemon (Mesprit with NP and Frosmoth with Quiver) that have decent coverage to damage a majority of the tier. On the other hand, they both have trouble breaking through Steel-types. Mesprit has to rely on Fire Punch to beat Ferroseed and Togedemaru (or at least cripple them with Knock Off) while Frosmoth can't really break the god rat and has to rely on Hurricane to beat down Ferroseed. Cinccino is similar to both, struggling to beat down Steel-types (further exacerbated by loss of Wake-Up Slap) and handle Galarian Corsola. Absol is a mon that went under the radar as potentially broken. It has a base 130 Atk, combined with amazing coverage and SD (plus the ability to crit cheese with Super Luck). However, it is also relatively slow which can make revenge killing easier?, although some say that Sucker Punch pretty much alleviates that issue. Sleeper Broken?

The Goods - Brief one-liners about the other impactful picks
:Togedemaru: - God rat!!!!; finally another good Steel-type in PU; checks alot of the potentially broken picks.
:Rhydon: - Great rocker; EdgeQuake coverage from a 130 Atk mon is nothing to sneeze at.
:Rotom-S: - An Electric-type with good coverage; expect NP or Boots Pivot to be a staple in PU.
:Accelgor: - Another excellent pick for HO; could also run Boots Pivot or potentially an offensive Specs set.
:Sandaconda: - Good? Seems outclassed by Rhydon at first glance, but you know that Glare is broken.
:Carracosta: - Shell Smash.
:Cryogonal: - Another form of hazard removal, fares decently well against common setters.
:Jynx: - Lovely Kiss is good, but will face competition against Mesprit.
:Altaria: - Cleric Bird with Defog.

P.S: Obligatory free Lanturnt in PU pls :psycry:

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
:absol: It gained Close Combat which is better than Superpower. With Knock Off, Play Rough/Iron Tail and Sucker Punch, it has an amazing coverage. Imo it's borderline for PU.
:altaria: it's a fine mon, it mainly absorbs status and can Defog well with Boots now. I think offensive sets are outclassed tho.
:armaldo: he also got better with Boots + new Rapid Spin speed boost. 125 Atk is really nice too.
calyrex: it looks really mediocre on paper, either stats or typing are mediocre. Also we have much more better Psychic types. Specs or SubSeed could be a thing maybe.
:carracosta: Its bad speed means most of scarfers will outspeed it even at +2
:cryogonal: with both Levitate and Boots you're not afraid by any entry hazards anymore. Reliable mon for sure and nice addition to the tier.
:guzzlord: It looks terrifying honestly. If you bring your Fairy mon, you can potentially eat its Poison/Steel Coverage. Even things like Ferroseed won't appreciate 120 BP Heat Crash. Probably borderline too.
:jynx: it's good but unfortunately it lost Z-Lovely Kiss. To summarise I'd say it's basically a faster and stronger Mr.Rime.
:magmortar: excellent mon with plenty of options. Boots + Teleport will certainly be a fair one. Will we keep this tho?
:mesprit: the emblem of last gen PU is back and it's surely better than before. It has so many sets it makes it unpredictable. I doubt it stays among us.
:relicanth: cool mon to play with: all you have to do is spamming Head Smash with 0 recoil. Maybe defensive can now be a thing since it gained Body Press.
:walrein: it's the kind of mon I tend to ignore, I don't really see a reason to use it. Sorry!
:zygarde-10%: should be gone soon for obvious reasons.
:accelgor: really nice for offense. We know what it does. Btw is Unburden + Throat Spray a thing?
:cinccino: King Rock set is annoying to deal with while Choice Band can really hurt. I wouldn't quickban this now, please let us use this for a while!
:frosmoth: it's too strong for the tier imo even if we have answers (e.g. Magmortar/Magmar/Flareon). All you have to do is to get rid of Fire/Steel types.
:kingler: was banned last gen and I think it's going to be banned as well for the same reasons as before.
:rhydon: so, NU emblem dropped. Well we know already know what it does. EQ/Stone Edge/Heat Crash hit hard everything.
:rotom-fan: that's an interesting addition, plenty of options are possible.
:sandaconda: it will surely have some competition with Rhydon, but the fact it doesn't rely on Eviolite, has Glare and can get rid of status with Shed Skin is its advantage. Coil + Rest is usable as well.
:togedemaru: solid mon we already used. It's reliable although predictable.

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mesprit, Guzzlord, Magmortar, Zygarde-10%, Kingler, Absol, and Drizzle are all banned from PU. Let's talk about them.

:Magmortar: :Guzzlord: :Absol: :Kingler: These were the mons council pretty much immediately and unanimously considered uncounterable incredible breakers that had absolutely no place in PU. I'm also lumping them together because of the strong lack of anyone arguing in their favor. Magmortar is Heatmor on steroids and only really loses to what, SpDef Appletun or Corsola-G? Guzzlord's Dark/Dragon STAB is insane and does wonders versus pretty much all the good walls at the moment, it lacks some power but makes up for it by also having insane bulk. Absol kills everything, Liepard alone is quite good at the moment due to our poor Dark/Knock resists and Absol is way stronger, gets Close Combat in addition to Play Rough, and nearly 2HKOs offensive Alcremie without even predicting with Iron Tail because that's fair. Kingler hits Sheer Force Life Orb Liquidation on most of the tier and has X-Scissor or Ice Beam for everything else, plus Agility if you want to win offensively too.

Drizzle also falls into the "very dumb without much argument" space, Rain is decent and if we removed the flaw of needing to keep setting with stuff like Liepard then we'd end up with a severely weather-dominated tier.

:Zygarde-10%: This had a bit more interest, 100 attack isn't crazy and 115 Speed isn't unheard of in PU. That's slower than Boltund with only 10 more attack and no useful offensive ability. We do have a decent few fat Grasses like Lurantis and Gourgeist, a number of fast or priority-using mons to abuse its low bulk, and several other Speed demons like Jolteon and new toy Accelgor to consider. However, Zydog still hits a much higher threat threshold than these mons. This wasn't considered so much an unfair breaker as much as an offense-invalidator, the immediate best revenge killer with crazy coverage and the ability to hit anything coming in with coverage moves like Crunch, Iron Tail, Superpower, Toxic, etc. And it goes without saying but Thousand Arrows is insane STAB. It's pretty clear that the meta would start warping around this one dog just forcing everything out with a huge threat level over and over, not to mention you'd have to run Gourgeist or a couple of other mons on every team. Its power, coverage, much better hazard matchup compared to other speed demons, and versatility gave us no qualms with voting it out.

:Mesprit: This was a unanimous council ban but there were some pro-Mesprit voices in the room and Discord. This one honestly didn't get much discussion among us, dual 105/105 offenses and the ability to nail everything in the tier was pretty much an instant killer. Everyone knows how versatile Mesprit is, just between Choice Specs and physically offensive sets running Drain or Fire Punch there's a complete lack of reasonable switchins and this is before we start talking about how it can fit Rocks, Healing Wish, Nasty Plot, SubCM, Scarf, and a half dozen other things into its repertoire. And to mitigate it, you've got sometimes losing to Ferroseed, not always 2HKOing Perrserker, being slightly slow, and having good but no longer insane bulk. Like I said, nobody on council really saw any merit in keeping this even though we would've loved to have been able to. If this is really disappointing, at least remember Mesprit (and definitely Zygarde too and maybe a few other bans) will be rising to NU or higher on the 15th anyway.

:Cinccino: :Jynx: These two stay in the tier by a margin of one vote. Cinccino has been insane every time its touched PU before but this time we do have Ferroseed, Qwilfish, Corsola-G, Gourgeist, and other fat contact punishers and Ghost-types to neuter it. More crucially PU is also faster than its ever been, Cinccino still stands out speed-wise but it's not as insane as it was in SM. Still very much unclear whether it'll stay, the obvious flipside to this is how devastating Tail Slap/Bullet Seed/imagination is plus King's Rock seems extremely effective at stealing games. Jynx seems a good bit stronger than GMime/Rime, both were already excellent but now imagine if Jynx had more firepower than Rime, a much better Speed tier, and the ability to outspeed and Lovely Kiss all our normal Ice-resists. Enough of the council wanted to give it a shot since it can no longer effectively Speed boost with Z-Lovely Kiss and we're already prepping for a good few strong Ices and Psychics (and Ice/Psychics) but don't be surprised if this one goes soon.

:Frosmoth: Very strong QDer but accrued 0 ban votes due to the complete lack of coverage for Steel-types and abysmal speed. At +1 you do manage to beat out Boltund but still lose to all common scarfers, most of which can KO it fairly comfortably, as well as Jolteon and Accelgor. It does sport a really nice special attack stat but is hurt by hazards much worse than something like Mr. Rime if it tries to go Choice Specs. We're willing to give this a serious shot.

:Rhydon: :Accelgor: :Carracosta: There were some drops that still look extremely powerful but nobody thought might warrant an immediate ban. In particular Rhydon got a good bit of conversation while I personally think Accelgor is going to be extremely powerful in this new meta. Just know we are absolutely keeping an eye on these guys.

:Silvally: :Orbeetle: :Thievul: So, PUBL stuff. Currently none of the mons previously in PUBL look like they'd be suddenly balanced in the new meta. We're always watching to see if things like Orbeetle or Rotom-Frost can get retested, but none of what we got seems like it would be a significant game changer for anything that we have the potential to reintroduce, meaning it's just not a high priority right now to try them out. There are still Silvallies that seem like they might be ok, we got way too many questions today about if we were going to be unbanning types like Grass or Fighting. Not right now. First of all, people in general are hard underrating the kind of threat Silvally-Poison is. Bug hasn't really popped off because it's much harder to use with that hazard weakness, but it's important to recognize that the first decently typed Silvally we've reintroduced has already been pretty nuts with powerful SD and Work Up sets. Any type we could reintroduce seems like it would be even more powerful than Poison. Also, while the new mons put us at a bit of a higher power level, it's a bit of a reach to immediately suggest they'll be able to nerf a stronger Silvally form's presence that much. Most of them are hit by the same simple coverage, lack recovery, aren't dying to tank a +2 Multi Attack, etc.

Despite all the new drops today, the majority of PMs and tags that forum staff got today were about PUBL mons. We recognize that there's a huge interest in trying to reintroduce all of these guys. They look fun, they weren't voted on publicly, and the tier will be a bit crazy for a while no matter what. But we're really strongly of the opinion that we can get a good, fun, playable meta out right now. We don't need to go insane and break the tier while waiting for the November 15th tier shifts, what we have now looks pretty reasonable and is going to need watching and management. We are still of the opinion that having a good, competitive meta needs to happen before we start mass freeing or retesting Pokemon. Please understand and give it some time. And please don't send hate to anyone just because the broken thing we had to ban looked fun to use for a day. I'm never a fan of seeing a lot of online anger, but it seems so much about the aesthetics of how fast we decided to ban things or how many things we banned rather than, for the most part, actual disagreement with the decisions.

Bag of Trixx

I like to call it a passion
is a Pre-Contributor
Howdy PU!

With the massive DLC update, PU is an entirely new tier once again and will definitely take some time sorting out what's going to be the top of the viability charts. However, my hope with this post just like I've tried the past few shifts now is to shed some light for people who may be stuck in the dark as to what to do with the new PU additions. Once again, thank you to everyone who has given me feedback about the previous similar posts I've done, because those encouraging words and knowing at least 1 person has felt these posts are meaningful are the reasons I enjoy spending my day typing these out. Your kindness doesn't go unnoticed :D

Massive thank you to avarice Specs and gum for helping me finetune and providing insight along the way !

Accelgor is easily one of the mons I'm most excited for in the new meta. Another fast and offensive Bug, but unlike Galvantula this speed demon doesn't pack unresisted coverage or Sticky Webs. Instead, Accelgor has Spikes and Final Gambit. Accelgor will definitely be an interesting choice for Hyper Offensive teams who wants to set their Hazards and then Spinblock thanks to Final Gambit, allowing a free switch into some sort of setup sweeper following. On top of this characteristic, Accelgor even has a great Special Attack so it can go on its own as a wallbreaker of sorts or more than likely, because of its skyhigh Speed - a revenge killer without needing of a Choice Scarf. This characteristic is only shared by Jolteon and we have all seen how wonderful of a drop Jolteon has been this past month.

Boots Offensive
Accelgor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb / U-turn

This set is designed to provide Accelgor an engagement to the tier that is unprecedented: a Spiker who also has access to U-turn. A set like this points the opponent in a bind because they have to predict whether Accelgor goes for Spikes while they switch into something to threaten Accelgor, or the Accelgor goes for U-turn and ultimately gains momentum to the point where it can Spike later. Bug Buzz and Focus Blast are excellent coverage options in order to combat the Steels who would otherwise resist Bug Buzz, however not being able to touch Flying types like Drifblim means Accelgor is always forced to U-turn.

Hyper Offense Lead
Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz / Encore / Knock Off
- Final Gambit
- Toxic Spikes

This set utilizes Accelgor's ridiculous Speed to set as many Hazards as possible, and Spinblock using Final Gambit with its decent base 80 HP to do a considerable chunk to one of the Spinners on their way in. There is no need to invest in Special Attack here because the idea is to get as big of a hit as possible with Final Gambit when the time comes. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are mandatory and Bug Buzz is just Accelgor's strongest form of STAB, however Encore or Knock Off could certainly be used for a full support role.

Alaria is an excellent addition to the PU tier for its ability to check a large variety of the special attackers in the tier, such as Jolteon, Manectric, Rotom-Fan, Accelgor, Drifblim, and Swoobat. On top of this, Altaria is a wonderful choice for Stall as another form of Hazard Control, a cleric, and a reliable Lurantis check! Altaria can also be used on more Balance builds when paired with something like AV Perrserker to handle its Ice weakness. Backed with its incredible supportive movepool such as Haze, Defog, Roost, Heal Bell, and Toxic, Altaria will definitely find its home on Balance or Stall this time around for the SS PU metagame.

Specially Defensive
Altaria @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Toxic
- Dragon Pulse / Haze / Defog

This set utilizes Altaria's incredible natural bulk and good Defensive typing to support its teammates' needs for a Lurantis check as well as an overall solid pivot vs a plethora of Special Attackers in the tier. On top of this, Altaria has the ability to check many of the Hazard Setters such as Ferroseed thanks to Flamethrower. Roost and Toxic allow Altaria to further fulfill its role on teams by either Recovering itself or spreading passive damage, and Dragon Pulse is just good natural STAB to hit everything as needed. However, Haze or Defog could be great options as well. 16 Spe is for Max Speed Perrserker.

Armaldo is another Defensive option for PU, having access to both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin. On top of this, Heavy-Duty Boots makes up for Armaldo's weakness to Stealth Rock. However, Armaldo is unfortunately outclassed by several other Defensive options in the tier such as Rhydon, Sandaconda, Stunfisk, or Runerigus. However, Armaldo does have some unique supportive options which its competitors don't have such as Rapid Spin or Knock Off. Sadly, I do not think those qualities will merit Armaldo a spot on a team vs its competitors.

Defensive Rapid Spin
Armaldo @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- X-Scissor / Rock Slide

Rapid Spin provides Armaldo some sort of niche vs its competitors, especially when paired with Knock Off to hit the Ghost types such as Drifblim or Runerigus. X- Scissor can be nice to hit the Grass types such as Appletun, but Rock Slide could be used to further threaten against Rotom-Fan, Drifblim, or Unfezant. 56 Spe is for slow base 50s.

Calyrex (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Calyrex faces so much competition in PU, regardless of the role it wants to fulfill. As a bulky Grass type, it is completely outclassed by Appletun or Gourgeist - both of which have access to reliable Recovery and are bulkier naturally. As an offensive Grass type it is completely outclassed by Lilligant - who is much more devastating with Quiver Dance + Sleep Powder despite having no Psychic coverage. As a Psychic type, it is completely outclassed by Musharna, Mr. Mime-Galar, and Jynx - all of which are either bulkier or have more Speed and more reliable coverage options in order to support their offensive potential. Calyrex has a horrible typing defensively despite decent defenses, very little coverage options, no reliable Recovery outside of Giga Drain or Draining Kiss, and hardly anything to set it apart from its competition. However, Calyrex does have access to Calm Mind, so it might be able to do something?? not really lol this mon sucks

Defensive Calm Mind
Calyrex @ Leftovers
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Psyshock
- Pollen Puff

Carracosta is without a doubt one of the strongest mons in all of PU. This mon needs no introduction to PU because it's been doing the same thing since gen7 and that is Shell Smash + win. However, PU is rather limited on defensive countermeasures for the ancient turtle this time around, therefore Carracosta could VERY effortlessly dominate the tier. Outside of Appletun (who is 2HKOd by +2 Ice Beam therefore it cannot switch in on a false prediction), Avalugg (who dies to +2 Hydro Pump), Quagsire, Throh, and Ferroseed (who doesn't appreciate a Superpower), there is hardly any defensive play vs this. However, offensive measures can be taken from the likes of solid revenge-killing from Choice Scarf users such as Togedemaru, Manectric, Gourgeist-Small, and other incredibly fast mons such as Jolteon. On top of Carracosta's offensive viability, it can also perform well on the defensive spectrum thanks to its natural bulk further supported by Solid Rock. However Carracosta will almost always want to perform offensively because of just how menacing this turtle can be.

Mixed Shell Smash
Carracosta @ White Herb / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam / Hydro Pump / Superpower

This set utilizes Carracosta's incredible offensive potential and above average natural bulk in order to boost its power to unsurmountable levels thanks to Shell Smash. Considering most of the mons who actually can take on Carracosta physically such as Avalugg, Appletun, and Ferroseed struggle with either the correct coverage option or on the SpDef side, this allows Carracosta to perform as a Mixed Attacker. Ice Beam blasts through all of the Grass types in the tier, whereas Hydro Pump handles Avalugg. Superpower is also an option for Ferroseed.

Cinccino is one of the mons I'm definitely iffy about staying PU. Very few things outspeed it, but because of Cinccino's incredible coverage backed by Skill Link and Choice Band, there isn't a whole lot outside of Avalugg and Ferroseed who comfortably wall this little fluffball. Cinccino is definitely a mon on the prediction-reliant side of things in certain MUs like vs a SS Carracosta for example, but outside of those rare instances against opposing offensive teams, Cinccino just gets to click buttons most of the time. And if it doesn't have the favorable matchup, it just U-turns or Knock Offs the entire game, forcing a way for it to develop a favorable matchup for itself or for a deadlier teammate late-game. Cinccino imo is comparable to Ninjask in the sense that it will use its natural Speed and power to U-turn through everything until everything is dented for its other coverage options or its teammates to take over. However, this is all speculative because now we have a Cinccino who cannot tech a technician HP Fire for Ferroseed, so we'll see.

Choice Band Wallbreaker
Cinccino @ Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Rock Blast / Knock Off
- Bullet Seed
- Tail Slap

King's Rock
Cinccino @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Rock Blast / Knock Off
- Bullet Seed
- Tail Slap

Just in case you don't like your opponent.

Cryogonal is nothing new to PU, being infamous for its ability to tank and reliably Spin on pretty much every Special Attacker in the tier with ease as well as being faster than a majority of them. However, just because Cryogonal is notorious for what it does in PU, doesn't mean it should be slouched on because there are very few mons who can do what Cryogonal does to the level of success that it has. Cryogonal is and always will be a staple for bulky offensive teams who need reliable Rapid Spin support compressed with a great Special Attacking pivot.

The Snowflake
Cryogonal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry / Frost Breath
- Toxic / Haze / Knock Off

This is a great example set for what Cryogonal wants to do for PU. Using its natural Speed and ridiculous SpDef, the snowflake needn't very little investment in its bulk before it is able to truly stave off some of the most menacing Special Attackers such as Jolteon, Mr. Mime-Galar, Swoobat, Rotom-Fan, and Cursola. Even Choice Specs Cursola is a role to 2HKO Cryogonal with Shadow Ball, which means Cryogonal can slowly but surely chip it away with Freeze-Dry and Recover off the damage. Toxic and Haze can be interchanged depending on if the team needs to stop setup sweepers or wants passive damage. But Knock Off can be used to cripple the Steels and Fightings who would otherwise switch into Cryogonal rather comfortably. Frost Breath can be nice to bypass Haze vs something like Calm Mind Swoobat. 216 Spe Timid allows Cryogonal to outspeed Timid Base 100s such as Mr. Mime-Galar

Honestly, Frosmoth looks amazing offensively. While although being an Ice type who cannot punish the Steels in the tier comes as a burden, Frosmoth at least has an incredible offensive typing backed with great coverage and the best boosting move in the game being Quiver Dance. Defensively, there are few options vs Frosmoth but because of its obviously glaring weakness in its horrible Speed and defensive typing, Frosmoth should be a fine addition to the PU metagame as a Quiver Dance sweeper.

Quiver Dance
Frosmoth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Bug Buzz / Hurricane

This is probably going to be the only set Frosmoth will utilize and for good reason. It's monstrous 125 base Special Attack and a way to boost its mediocre Speed are such a good pairing, but as mentioned previously; Frosmoth struggles comparatively to the other Ice types in the tier because it has no way to actually hit the Steel types in the tier. Because of this, I think Frosmoth will be a bit underused compared to its Ice type competitors.

Jynx has finally found her way to PU and she will definitely be treated right because a meta where few mons outspeed Jynx and whatever does outspeed gets put to Sleep with Lovely Kiss on the switch is absolutely ideal for what she has wanted to do for so long. On top of this, Jynx is naturally strong with coverage identical to Mr. Rime meaning Rime is completely outclassed here in terms of an offensive Ice/Psychic type. I think Jynx will definitely prove herself to be an incredibly strong contender for the SS PU metagame as either a Nasty Plot + Lovely Kiss sweeper, a wallbreaker, a revenge-killer, or just as an utterly annoying Ice type to deal with defensively thanks to its coverage.

Nasty Plot
Jynx (F) @ Focus Sash / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss / Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Jynx has always been a high-risk, high-reward mon because although it is strong enough to wipe teams on its own, it needs to setup first and THAT has always been difficult because of its horrible defenses. On top of this, Jynx doesn't have the best Speed stat meaning it is still outsped by a handful of offensively threatening individuals such as Morpeko, Togedemaru, and Liepard. However, if Jynx is played correctly with Lovely Kiss and Nasty Plot whilst preserving the Focus Sash, Jynx will win games. Short, sweet, and to the point. Jynx will win games. Focus Blast can replace Lovely Kiss as an option to nuke Ferroseed, Kangaskhan, or Perrserker.

Choiced Attacker
Jynx (F) @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Trick
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Sadly, there is no niche for Relicanth that other mons do not already fulfill. As a Rain abuser, we got Drednaw, Qwilfish, Ludicolo - all of which are faster and stronger. As a defensive Water, we got Quagsire and Carracosta. Not to mention Relicanth isn't unique enough to the point where it isn't already checked by other mons who are trying to check the more pungent threats such as Throh checking Carracosta for example. Relicanth is far too weak for the PU metagame. But hey, at least it has Rock Head Head Smashes I guess?

IF YOU TOLD ME that there'd be a day this behemoth falls to PU and actually stands a chance to remain in the tier I'd think you were lying. Rhydon has always been the tried-and-true defensive backbone for NU and maybe RU idk, regardless of the generation ever since it got Eviolite. And, it's even had some incredible success with a Dual-Dance sweeping set. But oh, how the mighty have fallen. PU got Rhydon! This is great for Bulky Offensive teams because pairing this with something like Appletun to cover most of Rhydon's weaknesses sounds like an incredible duo. The two of Rhydon + Appletun sounds like a scary defensive core and will definitely be a bane for offensive teams. Even with Rhydon's horrible typing, no useful ability, and being forced to run Eviolite, this thing has so much bulk naturally boosted by Eviolite that its flaws can pretty much be forgotten about with proper team support and Rhydon will most definitely be a top powerhouse for bulky offensive teams. I'm genuinely excited about this mon.

The Don
Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge / Body Press
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock / Roar / Dragon Tail / Rest
- Toxic / Rest / Roar / Dragon Tail

This mon can literally do whatever it wants. STAB EdgeQuake might not even be a necessity because of just how fat Rhydon actually is. Excellent role compression with Stealth Rock and its enormous defenses on both sides thanks to Eviolite means this mon isn't dying to a majority of the tier. Rest can be utilized just to make sure Rhydon's longevity is worthwhile: especially if Appletun provides Leech Seed support. However on a more offensive team that uses hazards as the biggest way to damage the opponent, Roar could be used for stacking and preventing free switches.

The Dancing Don
Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish / Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Rhydon has skyhigh bulk naturally so its ability to setup both a Swords Dance and a Rock Polish is definitely plausible. However, due to the abundance of Grass types in the tier, I think Rock Polish will be dropped for Megahorn a majority of the time since they offensively punish Rhydon otherwise.

Rotom-Fan is easily going to be one of the best mons added to the tier. Ever since it got access to Nasty Plot, I was honestly dreading the day this ever dropped to PU because I didn't think previous metas could handle the wrath of the fan. However, now we have defensive answers like Rhydon, SpDef Sandaconda, Stunfisk, Togedemaru, Quagsire, and Haze Altaria as well as offensive checks like Silvally, Mr. Mime-Galar, and Jolteon. Because of all these reliable and viable checks, I see no reason to fear Rotom-Fan anymore. However with that being said, Rotom will still most definitely find its home in PU and will see usage as an excellent Nasty Plot sweeper, a great Specially Offensive Pivoting Wallbreaker, a Choice Scarfer, a wall-crippling Trick user, and defensive capabilities thanks to Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp and Heavy-Duty Boots.

Offensive Nasty Plot
Rotom-Fan @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split / Volt Switch / Hex

Heavy-Duty Boots and Nasty Plot are Rotom-Fan's best friends. Rotom has already impressive natural bulk as is but with Pain Split to act as semi-reliable recovery and not having to worry about Stealth Rocks now just further means Rotom-Fan will see some great success with Nasty Plot. However, where Rotom makes up for in bulk, it lacks the Speed to really dominate the PU metagame. Since every offensive check is naturally faster, Rotom-Fan will definitely need incredible team support in order to combat. I think personally, Nasty Plot Rotom may be a bit more difficult to fit on teams as the sole-sweeper. Pain Split is great for Rotom to pick away at really bulky mons who could otherwise keep Rotom at bay such as Rest Stunfisk, but that is also a reason why I suggested Hex could be nice here, as it gives Rotom a way to break through that would-be counter. I think Rotom will utilize Nasty Plot more so in the sense of breaking for something even more menacing in the back, but that is just a prediction on my part.

Defensive Defog
Rotom-Fan @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Defog

Rotom-Fan is one of the tiers best defensive answers to Choice Band Perrserker. Resisting STAB, U-turn, and Close Combat is only shared by Qwilfish but that lacks defensive utility because it doesn't appreciate being an overall sponge for other physical attackers such as Runerigus or Kangaskhan. Because of this unique trait further supported by Heavy-Duty Boots, Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split, and momentum in Volt Switch - I see no reason this could not work in the current PU metagame.

Pivoting Wallbreaker / Revenge Killer
Rotom-Fan @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Air Slash

Rotom-Fan has naturally high offensive power and an above average Speed paired with Volt Switch which definitely supports the claim of Rotom-Fan being a strong Specially Offensive Wallbreaker for the tier. On top of this, Rotom-Fan also has access to Trick- which allows it to even further defensively cripple mons who are item-reliant such as Corsola-Galar. However, Jolteon and Manectric are more than likely better candidates for the job because Jolteon is not only stronger, but faster and also Manectric shares both qualities of being an Electric type who can punish Grass types with Flamethrower, but the neat wall-crippling niche with Switcheroo. Plus, Manectric has a useful ability and isn't weak to Stealth Rock.

Sandaconda is an interesting addition to the PU metagame because this gives us another great defensive Ground for the tier, which is currently being taken over by the Electric types and Silvally-Poison. However, this is the first time all generation PU is receiving an actually realistic offensive Ground who doesn't look superbly overwhelming for the tier to handle. Having access to Coil + Shed Skin Rest is fantastic for a setup sweeper who also has the natural Speed which is higher than the benchmark of base 70, albeit Sandaconda would need max investment to achieve this. However, I think a bulky setup set is perfect for what Sandaconda wants to do in PU. Good natural bulk, one of the strongest boosting moves in the game in Coil and Shed Skin to accompany the Status spreading, and near-perfect coverage in EdgeQuake with additional options for bulky Grasses such as Appletun. Through and through, I think Sandaconda will be an excellent pick for the SS PU metagame.

Specially Defensive Coil
Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rest

I think a set similar to this will easily be one of Sandaconda's strongest sets in the current metagame. EdgeQuake combined with boosting capabilities from Coil (not just the Attack for EQ, but the Accuracy for Stone Edge!!) is just too good not to try out. Many mons in the tier have tried this bulky setup set utilizing investment in the defensive stat not being boosted in order to achieve defensive capability on both sides whilst boosting the offenses as well but Sandaconda might actually be able to accomplish this at a higher success rate than something similar like Bulk Up Throh because Sandaconda is significantly faster and doesn't need to run Sleep Talk thanks to Shed Skin. This isn't a 100% success rate strategy by any means, as faster Waters, Grasses, and Ices still threaten significantly, but having an offensive Ground is fantastic for the tier. 88 Spe allows Sandaconda to outpace max Speed Perrserker and most non-offensive Alcremie.

Offensive Coil
Sandaconda @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang / Poison Tail / Hurricane

Offensive Coil could be an interesting take as well, since Sandaconda's biggest flaws are not being able to hit the Grasses like Gourgeist or Appletun, but with running something like Fire Fang or Hurricane over Rest gives Sandaconda the opportunity to cover most of its options. Sandaconda also has Dragon Rush which could be absolutely hilarious vs Appletun specifically, but realistically there is no other practical use for that.

Defensive Glare
Sandaconda @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
- Earthquake

On top of Sandaconda's already impressive offensive potential; it even has one of the best supportive moves in the game - Glare. Glare is such an incredible option for Sandaconda that just even having it as an option in the movepool deserves mentioning because Glare fixes issues regarding slower teams. Just Glare the mons who are insanely fast such as Choice Scarf Unfezant or Accelgor and then half of their merit is completely taken away. Not to mention Sandaconda's other supportive moves like Stealth Rock provide excellent role compression for a defensive answer for many teams.

Togedemaru is without a doubt one of the drops I am definitely most excited for. Having more mons who are naturally faster than the Silvally benchmark is excellent when paired with its incredible offensive typing and pivoting options with U-turn. Not to mention Togedemaru has fantastic Defensive utility because of Wish + Spiky Shield and its just-as-impressive Defensive typing and the same pivoting option. Togedemaru should easily represent itself as one of the strongest additions to the PU metagame as either a SpDef pivot or an excellent wallbreaker or revenge-killer.

Specially Defensive
Togedemaru @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wish
- Spiky Shield
- Iron Head
- U-turn

This set utilizes Toge's excellent natural Speed and supportive movepool to pass Wishes safely to its offensive teammates thanks to U-turn, or to continuously pivot onto Special Attackers such as Jolteon, Accelgor, Cryogonal, Frostmoth, or Rotom-Fan. This idea was inspired by gum and has proven to be quite successful when paired with something of the likes of defensive Altaria, Runerigus, or Sandaconda; all of which would otherwise find difficulty recovering HP vs the plethora of Ice types in the tier. 48 Spe outspeeds Timid Mr. Rime.

Pivoting Wallbreaker / Revenge Killer
Togedemaru @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Zing Zap
- Zen Headbutt / Toxic / Nuzzle / Super Fang

Thanks to Togedemaru's impressive Speed and Attack paired with U-turn, a Choice Band set is definitely possible by making a name for itself as the faster, yet weaker Perrserker. Perrserker's largest drawbacks are that it does not particularly threaten most of the faster mons in the tier because Perrserker would ultimately be worn down way too quickly due to the nature of how Steel types function defensively for PU. So a lot of the times Perrserker is forced to U-turn into something on a prediction. However, because Togedemaru is significantly faster than a majority of the tier - it is able to further threaten the would-be offensive checks that Perrserker struggles vs such as Flamethrower Silvally-Poison, Cramorant (RIP BIRB you will not be forgotten) and Qwilfish. Lightning Rod is preferred in order to make use of Toge's switch-in capabilities vs something like Jolteon. Iron Head, Zing Zap, and U-turn are mandatory however the 4th move is definitely freed up to fit the team. Zen Headbutt can be used to smack Throh for a good amount of damage, but Toxic can otherwise hit something like Runerigus. Nuzzle is great for further spreading Status and making Togedemaru that much more threatening late-game. And Super Fang could be nice for wearing down exceptionally bulky checks such as Stunfisk.

This same moveset can also be utilized for a Choice Scarf set, utilizing Togedemaru as an excellent revenge-killer thanks to its incredible Speed and naturally high Attack paired with U-turn. However the 4th coverage option should be a supportive move such as Nuzzle or Toxic.

Walrein gaining access to Swords Dance alongside 2 excellent physical STAB options and its already impressive coverage means that the Walrus might actually be an okay contender for a bulky setup sweeper. However, Walrein faces stiff competition from something like Carracosta because its abysmal Speed holds it back from wanting to fulfill this offensive role. Furthermore, Walrein has an excellent supportive movepool in the likes of Super Fang, Toxic, Encore, Body Press + Stockpile + Rest, and all of its abilities work well for defensive options for Walrein. However, because Walrein is an Ice type, not having access to the oh-so-appreciated Scald and having a 25% weakness to Stealth Rock means Walrein is outclassed as a defensive pivot by a majority of the other Water types in the tier such as Quagsire who not only has an Electric immunity, a potential Water immunity, access to Scald, but also has access to Recover.

Bulky Swords Dance
Walrein @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake

Walrein can potentially utilize a Swords Dance set thanks to its seemingly impressive bulk and access to Swords Dance and dual STAB options alongside Earthquake for the Steels, Electrics, Qwilfish, and Carracosta. However, Walrein as mentioned previously will be extremely difficult to fit on teams because there are far too many other offensive Ice types or offensive Water types who just fit this role better. Mainly suggesting Jynx, Mr. Mime-Galar, Carracosta, or Kingler. What's neat about this set is that Oblivious blocks Intimidate and Taunt from Qwilfish, which would otherwise completely shut down Walrein from doing anything. However, this niche alone most likely would not set it apart from its offensive setup sweeping colleagues. 136 Spe allows Walrein to outspeed max Speed Perrserker.

Last edited:

MZ

So we've had a bit over a week with this new meta and lots of fun PUWC games to spectate, and I'd like to open up some discussion for the remaining week we've got this meta (remember there's an extra shift this Sunday!). Cinccino, Jynx, Carracosta, and Rhydon were the scariest things brought up at the start of the week. Cinccino I think is something that is probably long-term unhealthy but short-term not the worst, we've got so many Ghosts and Helmets and stuff that it hasn't been absolutely dominant in PUWC, and it saw great usage but a really bad winrate. Jumping to Costa and Rhydon, both saw fairly low usage and pretty poor winrates as well and while I do still think both are quite excellent and got a bit shafted this week I don't have much interest in taking action on them. In particular, their Smash/RP sweeping potential hasn't really shown off to where I can see a vote being considered any time soon.

Jynx is dumb and I really wish we banned it. It's still not clear to me how you beat this thing. Like, nobody's using Blunder Policy yet so obviously you can revenge kill it with pretty much anything faster given its frailty. But it shows up every game because being able to sleep Rime, AV Perr, and whatever other Ice switchin you want to play with is just kinda stupid, you can have plenty of offensive counterplay but if it always gets to drop something before you can revenge kill it (save missing) then how much does that matter? I'd really like to hear how people are feeling about this mon, because honestly if we have a fairly minor shift this Sunday then Jynx is something I really want out of the meta.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Council Minutes
Meta Discussion:
  • Post Mesprit and friends ban, the Council is actually pretty happy with where things are at. We did not feel anything immediately needed to be banned going into week 2 of PUWC. However this doesn't mean that we have 0 concerns.
  • :jynx: is something we've been discussing more recently. With perfect coverage, a fast enough speed tier, not having to worry about the weakness to rocks, and sleep, it is something we are worried might be too good of a breaker. Being able to potentially break every single defensive answer with either sleep or one prediction is something we believe could be overbearing. However Jynx is not without its flaws. Even with boots, it struggles to get in consistently because of its frail (borderline non-existent) bulk, sometimes only being able to get in on a predicted water move or a very weak hit. We would love to hear some more thoughts on this throughout the week!
  • :carracosta: Is something that I personally think could be a bit much for the tier, and some other council members share the same sentiment. With access to boots + sturdy, stopping Costa from setting up can be quite tough, and when it does find its way to +2 it can be tough to stop it. With versatility in items moves and move sets it can choose what it wants to beat (in most cases). Faster scarfers and very bulky mons that won't be hit super effectively can usually eat a hit and take it out, however this can be circumvented with little chip damage because of +2 Aqua Jet, and other times just needing Stealth Rocks up. The usage stats aren't a very good look for Carracosta though, as seen here it only won 2 games out of 6 that it was seen in. Again, the communities thoughts would be appreciated!
  • :cinccino: has been a hot topic ever since it dropped here for another generation! With the wide move pool, fast speed, and the ability to cheese through otherwise checks with Kings Rock, the council is keeping a close eye on it. There hasn't been as much said on Cinccino as opposed to the other mons here, but I'm not sure there needs to be. I personally want to wait and see what happens this week, and that seems to be the vibe from the rest of the council too. It can be overbearing, so lets wait and see if it happens.
  • :liepard: is an old friend that continues to come back into the conversation of being too much. Some council members pointed out that it is tough to fit a hard resist to most of Liepards sets right now. Its Knock Offs do a ton to most builds, it can bluff choiced sets and Knock Off into Gunk Shot your Alcremie for a lot, or U-turn chip your generally bulky mons until they're eventually in range. It is a tough mon to maneuver around, but might need some more hard evidence from actual games before a decision is made.
  • :frosmoth: hasn't been doing as hot as we thought it would. When looking at it on paper, it has a ton going for it. Solid bulk on one side which will help it set up, it is strong with a good offensive typing for builds that consistent of grass + ground types, and even some techs like reflect u turn and rest talk sets. However it does struggle to get through steels like Togedemaru which saw a lot of usage this week in PUWC, and others like Perrserker. Faster physical scarfers also put an end to it if it can only get up to +1. It could get out of hand, but this just feels like a very threatening but managable mon in the meta.
  • :silvally-poison: (poison) has seen a big up-tick in use recently, specifically with Work Up Mixed sets. Remember those common Grass + Ground builds that were referenced earlier? Silvally-Poison does well vs those as well because of +1 Grass Pledge/Surf. With Sandaconda being the premiere Stealth Rocker right now over Runerigus, it makes Silvally-Poison even tougher to stop. I don't think the council has a definitive opinion yet on its healthiness but this is a very notable trend going on right now, so I figured it was worth mentioning!
VR and Other Votes:
  • We updated the Viability List with the most recent drops, you can check it out here to see what to account for when building and playing!
  • The council had voted on some potentially broken mons right as we got the drops. Check out what got banned, and what stayed here!
Forum Happenings:
  • Week 2 of the PUWC went up, lots of exciting match ups that we hope you're excited for!
  • There is an Administrative Decisions, Replays, and Usage Stats thread up now for the tournament too!
  • Power Rankings were also made, check out which teams were ranked highly and why!
  • The Smogon Snake Draft has made it to semi finals, check out the thread here!
  • Hi MZ here I want to recap a few forum handouts. Specs and gum earned their Community Contributor badges while PTF, Bag of Trixx and zS earned ladybugs. Congrats guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hello
----
864A7A91-0C46-45EB-B8CC-8FEDB41E43F5.png

i'm of the opinion that jynx is too much for the tier to handle currently. mz + council minutes have covered it pretty well so i don't have much to add. having an excellent setup move, coverage, and sleep to get past would-be answers like specially defensive mr. rime makes it near unwallable. sure, it's easy to revenge kill with faster threats like cinccino and togedemaru, and lovely kiss and focus blast can sometimes be unreliable, but both of these problems are basically nullified and taken advantage of, respectively, if running blunder policy. a lot of people tend to go into their answer, like cryogonal, and then pivot out on something that can revenge kill, like accelgor, on the predicted nasty plot or w/e just for the jynx to miss a move and then end up at +2. it can play around sucker punch with lovely kiss as well, with most teams not running a lot of priority. idt either boots or blunder policy are broken on their own, it's mostly just how unpredictable this mon is that pushes it over the edge; even if it takes entry hazards damage, it might just be running specs or scarf and you deal with boots and blunder policy differently. however, it does have some issues, and i'm not opposed with seeing how the tier adapts around it - although i doubt that'll happen.

2EA183EF-C5EA-484F-97FA-DD70B4B6D0FB.png

carracosta is definitely a great mon, but i wouldn't consider it broken at all. compared to sm, the tier is considerably faster and it lost z-moves. this leaves it very reliant on aqua jet to not get revenge killed by stuff like jolteon, which it sometimes fail to do due to everything running boots, making picking off weakened threats with aqua jet harder. however, i still think it's worth keeping an eye on; the combination of boots + sturdy almost always gives it a guaranteed setup opportunity, while less common sets like solid rock with life orb allow it to setup on stuff like togedemaru and gives it an easier time picking off revenge killers after a boost, as well as achieve some notable calcs, like always ohkoing lurantis with stone edge after rocks. i wouldn't do anything for now, though. i think it's worth keeping an eye on, because depending on how the meta develops it might end up breaking it. anyway, out of the two sets, i think solid rock + life orb is the more high risk high reward one, but boots + sturdy's more reliable. fun mon overall!

187BA9A1-B6D2-4632-8F2C-48D6589C05ED.png

this is another mon i think could end up being broken as the meta develops, but for now i don't really think it's an issue. quiver dance sets are much more broken on paper than in practice due to its poor speed + typing + physdef bulk giving it a hard time setting up. it's still really good at taking advantage of teams using an ice resist that isn't spdef togedemaru, though, and can snowball out of control rather quickly. i personally think choice specs is the better set; it's less matchup reliant and can just click its stabs and 2hko togedemaru with minimal chip - which isn't something that's hard to achieve with a partner like rocky helmet sandaconda. it can also 2hko other ice-resists, like cryogonal, with its secondary stab rather easily. you can kinda fit anything in the last two slots; u-turn, stun spore, and giga drain all work well, especially the former two. for sure a great mon, just not an overbearing one.

5E70F57E-9F5D-459B-A8E4-3CB98D3C4B5D.png

cinccino is definitely annoying to deal with and a capable breaker; there's no denying that skill link + an amazing movepool makes it sometimes hard to switch into, but the tier has a bunch of answers to it, like rocky helmet sandaconda or iron barbs togedemaru. the prevalence of these two makes it kinda hard for it to click tail slap without getting heavily punished. its other attacks don't hit particularly hard though, since they're coming off an average 95 attack + no stab on them. protective pads allow you to avoid barbs / rocky helmet chip damage but the power drop without a choice band is noticeable, which also goes if you opt to go with boots instead. its speed tier, which would've been considered stellar 2 months ago, now leaves it vulnerable to faster threats like accelgor and jolteon. lastly, king's rock is bad on this, if you don't get lucky it's practically useless but it's also the closest thing to making this mon uncompetitive so there's that!

91B0945C-B918-4DFF-BCFE-6E78F33471C7.png
-poison
silvally-poison definitely appreciates most defensive cores losing to it rn. it's really not worrisome imo, it just really appreciates recent meta trends. i think that once stuff settles down a bit more, and people go back to using stuff like stunfisk and galarian corsola, it'll go back to being a great, but not amazing, breaker. it's probably still worth keeping an eye on, though.

FA27A5C0-09A0-4987-9D3D-65EA47DE3042.png

liepard is a great mon for sure, but i wouldn't consider it broken or unhealthy. an average attack stat leaves it walled by most of the tier's physical walls, like sandaconda. special sets, on the other hand, are rather bad and don't do much other than luring in stuff like sandaconda. if anything i'd say liepard's gotten worse over the last two months; we have more answers than before, both defensive and offensive, and while it's still rather underexplored, with mixed notably being a cool set, it's nowhere near being too much.

---

947C67CE-0468-490B-8E8A-4353F13DA82A.png

specs appletun's a set i've had a lot of fun with recently; it takes advantage of builds relying on stuff like togedemaru and cryogonal to check grass-types rather well, with apple acid overwhelming the former while the latter is forced to recover after taking a draco meteor. physdef's cool too, since it acts like a discount tangela and checks stuff like carracosta and rhydon.

90489504-DE2D-44A2-874C-9EEAB2207341.png

mixed poisonvally appreciates sandaconda being the best ground-type, as it 2hkoes it with grass pledge. stunfisk's a ground-type that doesn't lose to poisonvally with some spdef investment or rotom-fan and can still do bulky ground-type stuff, like checking togedemaru, albeit a bit less reliably. static's still broken btw, not really surprising.

----

tl;dr: jynx is dishonest. costa, moth, cinccino, poisonvally, and liepard aren't. also apple and fisk are good rn, use them!

ty for reading!

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I definitely agree with Jynx ban. I heard some talk about how it has few opportunities to switch in safely, but I disagree. Jynx's fantastic speed tier means it can threaten a majority of pokemon on teams right off the bat, and plus U-turn and Volt Switch have become significantly better right now with the inclusion of Toge, Rotom-Fan, Accelgor. Jynx's Special bulk and resistances aren't awful either. Not to mention in this gen it has more longevity without having to worry as much about random Pursuits or hazards pressure (whether it has Boots or not, the opponent doesn't spend as much effort getting hazards up bc of Boots prevalence).

Once Jynx is in the battle, it is absurdly tough to deal with because of its coverage and power, and of course Lovely Kiss. Lovely Kiss is unreliable but the important thing is it has the potential to completely cripple any opponent is always there. There are no consistent counterplays to it whatsoever and it turns teambuilding into a nightmare. It is a big difference from other similar pokemon like Lilligant, who teams naturally pack resists to and you basically need max sleep turns to break teams. Jynx doesn't need sleep to break at all, it's just the cherry on top which turns it from a great mon to a broken one.

EDIT: I didnt even get into Blunder Policy since I have never used it or (knowingly) faced it, it's broken without that item anyway

Last edited:

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Yo, what up. It's been a while since I've posted a wall of text in a PU NP thread, so I'd thought I'd talk about a few mons I think might be too much for the tier at the moment.

:ss/jynx:
I had a very interesting conversation in the PS room about Jynx and it caused me to realize a few things, mainly that Jynx was overrated and not particularly hard to prepare for by itself, requiring solid team support to actually get stuff done. However, I still believe that its presence is inherently unhealthy for the tier. It has a ton of options at its disposal that allow it to picks and choose its checks, such as Lovely Kiss neutralizing a check (and on most teams the only Jynx check), Focus Blast slamming Steels, Nasty Plot tearing through bulkier teams, and to top it all off Psychock to break through some checks it can't beat 1v1 like Cyro and Frosmoth. Being able to abuse pretty much any and every team structure when given the right set (Specs/NP abuses bulky teams, Scarf abuses offense teams, BP abuses everything) is what pushes Jynx over the edge for me, even if it does end up being slightly underwhelming in practice.

:ss/accelgor:
Not enough people are talking about this thing right not, possibly because more immediately broken stuff like Jynx is getting all of the attention. However, Accelgor is definitely something that should be kept on people's radars because it provides way too much support for it to be balanced. What sets Accelgor apart from other Spikes setters such as Qwilfish and Roselia is its blazing speed tier, making it a pain to revenge kill, solid offensive capabilities, with a base 100 SpA stat and great coverage (it has Focus Blast, Sludge Bomb, and Mud Shot to deal with would-be checks), and if all else fails, the ability to pressure its own checks via Spikes, Knock Off, or U-Turn. This all combines into something that provides immense support to teams, and a well-piloted Accelgor team is extremely hard to defeat. Maybe it isn't broken right now, but I can very easily see it becoming a problem if NU shifts bring more Spikes abusers or the meta trends towards more offensive teams.

:ss/cinccino:
As said above, Cinccino is most likely not a problem right now, but I can see it becoming overcentralizing in the future. The tier has a bunch of Helmets, Ghosts, and defensive cores tend to be built to at least make Cinccino risk a 50/50, which makes the standard Choice Band set a bad idea. However, the mulling of adaption have already begun, with sets such as Protective Pads, King's Rock (I hate anyone who uses this set btw), and SubToxic beginning to pop up in order to deal with its standard checks. I think that if Cinccino does end up becoming a problem, it will be less because of its breaking ability and more because of how these sets all require different answers, which leads to the meta becoming overcentralizing when teams pack 2 or more checks to deal with it, but that's only the worst case scenario.

:ss/liepard:
I think the main reason for Liepard's viability is not that it's a broken breaker, but because the tier in general lacks solid Knock Off walls. Pretty much every defensive mon in the tier relies on their item, with the exception of Defensive Coil Sandaconda and maybe a few Appletun sets, and even then they'd rather keep their item. The only reliable Koff sponges right now, a.k.a itemless mons, are either Ghosts that are already weak to the move, or the Silvallys which get easily chipped throughout a match. The main counterplay would be itemless mons that aren't weak to to Knock Off, like Appletun, but they hate getting statused and/or are more easily worn down without them, which isn't exactly feasible in this meta. I think when (it's not if, it's when) Jynx leaves, the tier will be more freed up to pursue Koff countermeasures, since the mons that can do without their item tend to lose to Jynx.

MZ

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...e-for-mid-november-2020.3673355/#post-8657617
+ :Audino: :Carbink: :Clefairy: :Ditto: :Drampa: :Garbodor: :Golbat: :Lycanroc: :Ninetales: :Persian-Alola: :Poliwrath: :Rapidash: :Sableye: :Silvally-Dragon: :Skuntank: :Spiritomb: :Tangela: :Trevenant: :Wishiwashi:
- :Politoed:
e: we have banned Silvally-Dragon

Immediate thoughts- don't see the need to quickban Jynx anymore! I mean we might want to down the line or something but it certainly is no longer the same kind of absolutely has to get out of the meta right now with the amount of offensive and defensive checks we've received. Of the things we got there are some pretty scary mons but this is going to be a fairly different meta, even something like Drampa could honestly use a week to analyze at least now that we've got Clefairy and Audino and Carbink and whatever else. Silvally-Dragon still breaks the entire tier like other Vallies (both SD and Work Up sets, I'm sure it can find space for Iron Head if it wants) and frankly I don't want to deal with it right now but we may have to be returning to the Silvallies sooner rather than later.

It's also worth looking at shifts for other tiers. Given the post-DLC trends we're seeing I'd expect the January shift to be comparable to RU's absolute flood of Pokemon, and even in just the 2 weeks to the December shift we'll probably get a good few more guys that have been pushed out by NU's strong newcomers. I do not expect PU to settle for a while.

Last edited:

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
Quick thoughts on the new drops:
:audino: I'm glad it dropped because it's good for my Trick Room team. It can also pair well with Tangela as a regecore. It might be compared with Lickylicky who is naturally immunised to Taunt/Encore and have some offensive presence.
:carbink: same as Audino, it's imo the best lead for TR. It gained Body Press to be less Passive and Misty Explosion seems nice to bring your ideal sweeper under TR.
:clefairy: cool addition for defensive/stallish teams. It's a classic mon we all know but don't forget it can Teleport now.
:ditto: you guys won't believe what Ditto gained this gen! Nah I'm kidding it's still the same mon.
:drampa: eh it's borderline for this tier I guess. What can really switch safely against Specs Drampa? And remember it has Glare, Roost or CM as well. It's also already in my TR team!
:garbodor: I really like this mon, it chips physical attackers and support the team with spikes/t-spikes. It also has Haze to prevent set-up and Stomping Tantrum/Grass Bomb for extra coverage to hit opposite Garbodor/Rhydon.
:golbat: I expected NU to keep this. Anyway welcome to PU!
:lycanroc: that's an excellent suicide lead for hyper offense but Sand Rush set should be mentioned too.
:ninetales: another Fire type mon is always a good thing. It can hit other Fire types with Scorching Sand and has interesting options (SubNasty, Specs...) and I look forward to play with it!
:persian-alola: cool addition as well. Either pivot or special sweeper will be fine.
:poliwrath: my #1 favourite drop. It reminds me old PU <3
:rapidash: basically the same reaction as Ninetales. SD + Blitz/HH/Wild Charge looks very cool.
:sableye: it's going to be fine for defensive teams.
:silvally-dragon: my #2nd favourite drop but I couldn't tell if it's banworthy or not now.
:skuntank: another symbolic mon of SM PU here. Bring back Gurdurr and Mesprit and we'll be back in the future.
:spiritomb: It also lost Pursuit but gained Poltergeist. What I like with this mon is the several set you can run, either physical or special (CM + RestTalk set was annoying before) which makes it pretty unpredictable. Nice one too.
:tangela: welcome back dude.
:trevenant: it's also back but I honestly think Gourgeist is better because faster + Shadow Sneak. Let's see what it can do.
:wishiwashi: a bulky Water type which have slow U-Turn and offensive presence should fit perfectly in PU.

I apologise for this low-quality contribution here but another shift will come soon so it's pretty hard to make a consistant opinion right now.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Here's the Council Minutes for the last week! There hasn't been much discussion in council chat since Specs posted last Monday (11/9), save for talks about the new drops and potential unbans...
Council Minutes
Meta Discussion:
  • 11/10 (no discussion), 11/11 :Cinccino: Before new drops happened, soulgazer brought up Protective Pads Cinccino as a tech that allows it to bypass contact-based items and abilities like Sandaconda's and Qwilfish's Rocky Helmet, as well as Ferroseed's and Togedemaru's Iron Barbs.
  • 11/12 :Magmar: I was tinkering with sets for some of the NFEs that had previously dropped (Metang, Magmar, Combusken, and Gabite being the most usable of the bunch, but these were pretty niche in this last meta imo), and I mentioned Specs Teleport Magmar and Heavy-Duty Boots Vital Spirit Teleport+Wisp Magmar as potential sets for it. Mz said his team had used CS Magmar in PUWC, but it was more or less lackluster, and HJAD talked briefly about having used Eviolite 3 attacks + Teleport, but no one was really impressed by Magmar (just something fun to use).
  • 11/13 :Carracosta::Frosmoth::Jynx:Specs offered his position on the meta - the most threatening Pokemon to him (pre 11/15 drops) were Carracosta, Frosmoth, and Jynx. For him, Carracosta and Jynx were just the sort of Pokemon that are very effective in practice and difficult to stop post-setup (as evidenced by what we've seen in PUWC). Specs felt Frosmoth was threatening in a different sort of way; it's something that's not super obviously broken at first glance, but the more he played against it, the more worried he became about how balanced it is.
  • 11/14 :Carracosta: HJAD also agreed with regard to Specs' stance on Carracosta; this is a threat that sets up very reliably, especially if Sturdy and Heavy-Duty Boots are used in tandem. If it were difficult to set up with, this would've been a balancing factor for it, but for HJAD, this was not the case in this meta. Luckily, there were new drops on 11/15 to help make Carracosta much more palatable, ex. Poliwrath and Tangela (if physical sets). :Jynx: Similarly, there are a lot of drops that check Jynx nicely, ex. Spiritomb, Alolan-Persian, Skuntank, fat Wishiwashi, etc., and this assuaged many of the council members' fears that Jynx would still be too much for the meta.
  • 11/15 New drops happened: :Audino::Carbink::Clefairy::Ditto::Drampa::Garbodor::Golbat::Lycanroc::Ninetales::Persian-Alola::Poliwrath::Rapidash::Sableye::Silvally::Skuntank::Spiritomb::Tangela::Trevenant::Wishiwashi: (we lost :Politoed: to RU and we banned :Silvally:(Dragon)).
  • :Basculin::Thievul::Noctowl::Silvally: Council talked a fair bit about which Pokemon could be unbanned; I mentioned Basculin, given that Poliwrath and Tangela just dropped and the fact it hasn't had overlap with other strong checks to Water-types like Ferroseed, Qwilfish, Appletun, Lurantis, etc. this gen. Thievul was another Pokemon in PUBL that Mz, termi, and soulgazer talked about being balanced potentially due to Clefairy's presence in the meta. Noctowl was another - while it does have Heat Wave, Togedemaru being near-ubiquitous and the meta just being a lot faster and stronger now plays into Noctowl not being as threatening as it once was. Lastly, tlenit brought up Silvally-Grass, -Psychic, -Electric, and -Ground as potential unbans. I agreed that Silvally-Psychic really doesn't look that threatening when you consider we now have Pokemon like Spiritomb, Alolan Persian, Ferroseed, Togedemaru, Accelgor, etc. to help keep it in check.
VR and Other Votes:
  • The council voted on 2 Pokemon: Drampa and Silvally-Dragon.
    • :Silvally: Silvally-Dragon was banned unanimously with there not being a whole lot of counterplay that can answer both physically offensive and specially offensive sets - it places too much pressure on you at builder, and it is just really tough to find reliable answers for this.
    • :Drampa: Drampa narrowly avoided a ban; those who voted to keep it (MZ, Specs, termi, and I) talked about it being very strong, but reasonable to pressure offensively with many of its checks being faster than it. Additionally, some new drops that landed like Carbink, Clefairy, Audino, etc. have a workable match-up against it. Anyone who plays SM though will remember this calc: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Drampa Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Clefairy: 157-186 (45.6 - 54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and that Drampa has access to Energy Ball / Hydro Pump (Surf) along with CM for potentially breaking Carbink. In reverse, Carbink also got Body Press, so match-ups between these Pokemon aren't really one-sided in either direction. I anticipate Teleport Clefairy will be relatively common this meta, as will Drampa if it stays.
  • As mentioned above, potential unbans may be happening soon!
  • We'll be playing a lot with new drops to see where they place in our viability list. Also coming soon!
Forum Happenings:
For potential discussion points, we'd like to hear what you think about this brand new meta. There's plenty to discuss with many SM favorites returning to SwSh PU, but maybe not much time to cover all of it with drops and big meta changes happening almost every two weeks. Go out and post before the meta changes again! :toast:

Previous week's council minutes

Last edited:
Howdy, everybody. NU's fabled Torracacat activist and Roselia advocate here to give my two cents on some of the new PU pokémon.

:ss/Lycanroc:

Excellent offensive prowess thanks to blazing Speed stat and amazing Attack stat on top of access to STAB Stone Edge, priority Rock-type STAB and coverage Close Combat makes Lycanroc an immediate standout amongst the current PU pokémon. Being able to 2HKO even defensive Sandaconda after a Swords Dance boost makes it a scary breaker that'll be a great addition to the tier.

:ss/Gourgeist:

I think Gourgeist-Small is extremely underrated right now. Being able to abuse utility Choice Scarf sets with moves such as STAB Poltergeist and Power Whip as well as Trick and Synthesis, Life Orb sets to boost its offensive capabilities or even lure Nasty Plot sets with Moonblast, Psychic and Fire Blast to get rid of common switch-ins such as Drampa, Altaria, Golbat and Tangela make this pumpkin a top-tier offensive threat. Moreover, great speed tier coupled with ok defensive typing makes Gourgeist-Small a splashable pokémon that should be definitely explored more in the current SS PU metagame.

:ss/Rapidash: :ss/Ninetales:

I do appreciate these new Fire-type additions to the metagame, but I doubt they'll be of too much relevance. As seen in NU, Ninetales is easily checkable and even hard-walled by the likes of Appletun, Altaria, SpDef Wishiwashi and Drampa. Rapidash seems more promising thanks to better utility movepool, but I think it is also gonna have a hard time finding a place in a Sandaconda, Lycanroc and Persian-Alola-filled metagame (on top of the aforementioned Ninetales checks that also check it pretty well).

:ss/Golbat:

I think Golbat is a fantastic momentum-grabber, full-on utility glue pokémon. It'll definitely be a top tier threat thanks to its ability to check Fighting, Ground- and Fairy-type pokémon all in one slot plus access to Defog, U-Turn and other nifty utility moves. I'd even recommend trying out Heavy-Duty Boots over Eviolite, since the Stealth Rock weakness sort of hinders the bat, while its neutral bulk is still pretty ok without Eviolite and still allows it to check what it desires to.

:ss/Togedemaru:

Maybe a hot take, but Togedemaru is probably my favourite pokémon in the metagame. Amazing utility in momentum U-Turn, Nuzzle for paralysis and Wish support as well as Spiky Shield to scout and get chip makes this rat a fantastic defensive pokémon. Furthermore, Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs severely hinders physical attackers, making Togedemaru a great option to get chip damage on the likes of Kangaskhan, Golbat and Rapid Spinners. I definitely recommend trying it out.

:gourgeist: :altaria: :persian-alola: :togedemaru: :sandaconda: :garbodor:

Lastly, here's a cool team I've been playing around showcasing great defensive sturdiness and a good double lure core in Gourgeist and Garbodor (adapted from an old NU team). I've gotten some great results so far, hope y'all give it a try!

:trevenant:
So I've really been enjoying using Trevenant, and I haven't seen a lot of people talking about it. At first, I thought Gourgeist was going to overshadow it like last time Trev was here, but I've found that Trevenant has two really key traits that set it apart: Natural Cure and Horn Leech.

Natural Cure is really nice: status is everywhere, and you can just throw this thing into it without thinking about it. You switch into Sandaconda for free since you can just shrug off Glare when you switch out, making it a great partner for Rapidash and Lycanroc. You also don't care about Scalds from stuff like Quag, which Rapidash and Lycanroc also really appreciate. Being able to shrug off random Toxics from mons like Rhydon can also be really clutch.

Horn Leech is also super nice to keep you healthy throughout the match. It's especially nice in the late game, as you can pick off weakened Poltergeist resists and get back some health to stick around a bit longer without worrying about missing crucial Power Whips like Gourg does.

Both Horn Leech and Natural Cure also really help Trevenant's longevity vs stall, which got some nice new toys like Quag and Audino. Gourg still outclasses it sometimes, but I think Trevenant does have a good niche, especially given the prevalence of status in the meta right now.

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
I recently talked with someone on the chat and I'd like to mention :skuntank:
Back in SM, Skuntank was mainly known for 2 things: physical attacker with Pursuit, Taunt etc. or special defogger. If it unfortunately lost Pursuit this gen, it gained Nasty Plot nonetheless and I wanted to give it a try:

Skuntank @ Shuca Berry / Life Orb / Black Glasses
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast

Skuntank excellent typing + good bulk allow it to set-up quite easily because it's almost impossible to OHKO.
71 SpA is usable but especially its Dark/Poison/Fire coverage hits absolutely everything except Carbink. Also Skuntank can take most of special attacks and Aftermath will punish physical attacker.
Thanks to Shuca Berry you can even absorb STAB'd EQ from Rhydon ( 252+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Shuca Berry Skuntank: 247-292 (71.1 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO ) which means you can nullify Skuntank's unique weakness for a single turn.
Skuntank can also eat High Horsepower from +2 Rapidash ( +2 252 Atk Rapidash High Horsepower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Shuca Berry Skuntank: 238-281 (68.5 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO ) for instance. Here just 2 examples but you can find other. Purely defensive Sandaconda won't hurt but Glare is annoying as we know.

Finally, here another mon I'd like to talk about :spiritomb:

Spiritomb @ Spell Tag / Leftovers / Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic / Memento / Pain Split / Trick

Isn't it great to abuse Poltergeist while being neutral to Ghost typing itself?
252+ Atk Gourgeist-Super Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Spiritomb: 153-181 (50.4 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock.
Spiritomb is slow, that's true, but it has 2 STAB'd priorities which take advantage of that while Infiltrator can be useful against opponent substitutes. Simply pair it with a Poison type (and we have some: Skuntank, Garbodor, Poisonvally, Qwilfish, Golbat or Roselia) and see the good synergy Dark & Poison types have together.

I'm having lot of fun using these set right now and I hope you'll too!

Last edited:

zS

this is all a moo point
is a Top Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
:ss/drampa: Current Metagame Threats :ss/lycanroc:
Hello, I wanted to wait before posting this cuz I was expecting to get some replays before, but since a vote is happening during this week-end I'll edit this post and add them whenever I actually have them. That being said, here's my opinion on the current metagame, and how Drampa made it worse than it should be.

1- :drampa: Drampa :drampa::

Drampa is a pure nuisance in the current SS PU metagame, with a monstrous base 135 spa and access to high-base power STAB moves in Draco Meteor and Hyper Voice paired to his excellent special movepool. As soon as it dropped to PU, I was pretty skeptical about its presence in the tier and thought it would maybe be too much of a threat, but since it was manageable in sm and the Metagames is sort of close to how sm was, I thought it might be balanced. However, what made me come here today and write this post is the fact that I realized SM PU Metagame was a lot more offensive than SS, which is super beneficial for Drampa. He doesn't have any sort of defensive counterplay just as it was in SM but the Metagame isn't bulky enough to handle drampa and isn't strong enough to prevent Drampa from coming too often and risk losing momentum or giving free turns to huge offensive threats by using Draco Meteor. But Drampa's affect on the Metagame isn't only about Ingame, It's even worse in the Builder. I've seen a lot of people saying "yeah you shouldn't try to check drampa defensively, play around it in order to not let it in" or "Drampa is easy to play around, just use fairy + normal resist / av hitmonchan and you'll be fine" I'm sorry but, I don't consider using a hole core in order to beat 1 mon healthy at all but that's not what I want to point out. First, checking Drampa offensively UNLESS you have Frosmoth or Av Hitmon is a pure joke, and Frosmoth isn't a reliable switch-in since it can't recover properly and dies to Fire Blast more often than not (I'll take in count the Avedo argument of "it can miss"). Add that to the fact that Drampa actually pairs well with a lot of pivots and every other offensive mon drops to either Draco Meteor or Hyper Voice. I know that it is slow as balls so it seems to be manageable, but I really think this thing is too much of an offensive threat to take its speed into consideration here.

To sum up a little what I just said, Drampa is a pure nuisance and has no counterplay. It brings nothing to the current metagame apart from the fact that it forces huge reflections in the teambuilder and ingame to know how to manage it. I sincerely believe that it should be banned.

2- :lycanroc: Lycanroc :lycanroc::

Lycanroc is a little bit tricky, it can overwhelm easily a lot of teams and Swords Dance + Stone Edge + Close Combat + Priority might be a little bit too much for our tier, but for Lycan, I think I need to see more before I can tell whether or not it should get banned. It's obviously a big threat, but the defensive counterplay is there. Sandaconda, Stunfisk, def Carbink, or even the various defensive fights and bulky grasses check it or even counter it quite easily. The offensive counterplay is a little more restricted because this Pokemon is mine of nothing very fast and has a fairly high attack stat which coupled with its powerful moves can be very devastating.

As I said, I think we should until the evidence is provided that Lycan is dumb broken, which I don't think it is. It can be hard to deal with if played accordingly but that's about it from my experience at least.

3- :rapidash: Other Threats :jynx::

Rapidash quickly established itself as one of the biggest threats of the tier and I think this is for two main reasons: Rapidash is a fire type, and it is an offensive type that has always been extremely strong in PU because we are sorely lacking in fire resists. The second reason is its coverage and speed, already that the number of fire resists is low, if Rapidash's movepool allows it to break through a large part of them it becomes really hard to deal with. Wild Charge for bulky waters, High Horsepower for other Rapidash, a recovery move with Morning Sun, Rapidash has everything it needs. We can regret the lack of a powerful grass type move other than Solar Blade, but it wouldn't have been PU at first so I can't complain.

Jynx is another Pokemon that had quickly established itself as one of the most powerful breakers and sweepers of the post-dlc2 PU, victim of many rather mixed opinions, separating the pro-bans and those who were against. I sincerely think that Jynx has just gone from borderline to very strong in my eyes. Its ice type is still extremely strong offensively and it stilll has an unresisted coverage but the presence of the new fire-type threats such as Ninetales and Rapidash and the threat I mentioned earlier in Lycanroc make it much less free than it was before. Moreover, Stall's rise in popularity does not help it at all to do what he would like to do and I think that's what made it go from almost broken to just a powerful wallbreaker.

4- :quagsire: Stall :audino::

Stall is an archetype that has never been very popular in SS PU as we have always lacked "Stall mons". But since the recent shifts, we have gained back a lot of great stall pillars. After having one-on-one additions such as Flareon, Ferroseed, Corsola-Galar, Quagsire, Tangela, Audino, Sableye, Clefairy, Ditto, Carbink have really brought the stall up to its peak. I sincerely think this is one of the most effective playstyles atm and I look forward to seeing how the players will adapt to this metagame.

5- :togedemaru: Conclusion :togedemaru::

I don't know if a lot of people are still here LOL, this was a long ass post that isn't even done since I still need to add replays to it which I will do by the end of this Week, so I'm sorry about that :(. However, I think this metagame cannot move forward as long as Drampa is present and I hope that this Sunday's votes will lead to its ban. I also know that this metagame is ephemeral and that we will undergo many drops but it is a metagame that will be played in wcup for at least 2 weeks, so I thought it necessary to post my opinion on the metagame and how I think it should be improved for next week. That will be it for this post! Thank you all for reading me so far (if you have) and I hope the tier will continue to move forward.

zS, out!

gob.gif

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
Just to continue this post and replying to few points and opening up my thoughts of current meta game. I think this is a good topic opener, so why wouldn't I abuse it :>

1- :drampa: Drampa :drampa::

Drampa is a pure nuisance in the current SS PU metagame, with a monstrous base 135 spa and access to high-base power STAB moves in Draco Meteor and Hyper Voice paired to his excellent special movepool. As soon as it dropped to PU, I was pretty skeptical about its presence in the tier and thought it would maybe be too much of a threat, but since it was manageable in sm and the Metagames is sort of close to how sm was, I thought it might be balanced. However, what made me come here today and write this post is the fact that I realized SM PU Metagame was a lot more offensive than SS, which is super beneficial for Drampa. He doesn't have any sort of defensive counterplay just as it was in SM but the Metagame isn't bulky enough to handle drampa and isn't strong enough to prevent Drampa from coming too often and risk losing momentum or giving free turns to huge offensive threats by using Draco Meteor. But Drampa's affect on the Metagame isn't only about Ingame, It's even worse in the Builder. I've seen a lot of people saying "yeah you shouldn't try to check drampa defensively, play around it in order to not let it in" or "Drampa is easy to play around, just use fairy + normal resist / av hitmonchan and you'll be fine" I'm sorry but, I don't consider using a hole core in order to beat 1 mon healthy at all but that's not what I want to point out. First, checking Drampa offensively UNLESS you have Frosmoth or Av Hitmon is a pure joke, and Frosmoth isn't a reliable switch-in since it can't recover properly and dies to Fire Blast more often than not (I'll take in count the Avedo argument of "it can miss"). Add that to the fact that Drampa actually pairs well with a lot of pivots and every other offensive mon drops to either Draco Meteor or Hyper Voice. I know that it is slow as balls so it seems to be manageable, but I really think this thing is too much of an offensive threat to take its speed into consideration here.

To sum up a little what I just said, Drampa is a pure nuisance and has no counterplay. It brings nothing to the current metagame apart from the fact that it forces huge reflections in the teambuilder and ingame to know how to manage it. I sincerely believe that it should be banned.
Alright, when Drampa dropped my first initial thought was to get this as far as I ever can get of PU (hehe, so to PUBL), because the tier reminded a lot of early NUPL meta that I played a lot. There Drampa was magnificent and Mr. TonyFlygon abused literally the F out of it. First of all, I have not seen Tony using it in current meta, so I'm still bit scared. Jokes aside tho, what earlier NU meta game lacked was steels, fairies and ghost types. Now PU has all three thanks to DLC drops and not to mention of generally fatter backbones like Audino.

Drampas double stab + double filler does restrict team building as you can not ignore the fact dropping draco is strong as heck. Altho, Drampa locking itself can be abused, limited by having immunities for its double stab and HP exchanged for trading mon or even knocked to drop its item. Offensive Drampa with max speed hits 171 which is relatively slow that outspeeds only the fat stuff like Runerigus, Avalugg, Appletun, Stunfisk etc. Otherwise if it ends up clicking and trading it usually takes 30-70% HP in exchange of a kill and afterwards ends up being in range of KOed against offensive teams. Bulky offensive teams can adapt by adding tox-tect (sure this sounds like a cheap solution, but you avoid living on the edge) eg. on Tangela to scout+chip incoming Drampas or even knock it. Or just generally having the protect on the mon that Drampa usually loves to switch in, sure a bit cheap option, but not like things like Ferroseed isnt running it already.

Defensive switch ins like Golbat, Alcremie, Clefairy, Carbink and Audino are still all worth mentioning. Drampa relies a lot on predicting correctly to break through and wallbreaker actually breaking should be allowed - even if im not personally the biggest fan of it, I don't think anymore it's worth of being banned actually.

Drampa does offer more than just great wallbreaking set. There is the defensive utility with roost-defog sets, grass+ghost+fire+elec immunity/resist and good support moves like Glare, Tailwind available.

2- :lycanroc: Lycanroc :lycanroc::

Lycanroc is a little bit tricky, it can overwhelm easily a lot of teams and Swords Dance + Stone Edge + Close Combat + Priority might be a little bit too much for our tier, but for Lycan, I think I need to see more before I can tell whether or not it should get banned. It's obviously a big threat, but the defensive counterplay is there. Sandaconda, Stunfisk, def Carbink, or even the various defensive fights and bulky grasses check it or even counter it quite easily. The offensive counterplay is a little more restricted because this Pokemon is mine of nothing very fast and has a fairly high attack stat which coupled with its powerful moves can be very devastating.

As I said, I think we should until the evidence is provided that Lycan is dumb broken, which I don't think it is. It can be hard to deal with if played accordingly but that's about it from my experience at least.
I dont believe Lycanrock is actually tricky at all. It's good addition to our metagame with very predictable moveset(s) (altho it probs moves to NU due sand being one of the most common playstyles there rn), but as additional defensive checks: Sableye, Sandslash, Metang (access to prio too), Tangela (yes there was mention of bulky grass types, but to be more precise), Lefeon (works as offensive check with scarf), Runerigus, Quagsire, Gourgeist and Corsola-G. Pretty much all of them are sitting on Lycanrock and giving hard time for it. Offensively we have for example (that are not annoyed by accelerock): Togedemaru, Persian-A, Qwilfish (works definsively fine too), scarf Dugtrio-A and Gourgeist.

Just like you said, it's not broken by any means in my opinion either

3- :rapidash: Other Threats :jynx::

Rapidash quickly established itself as one of the biggest threats of the tier and I think this is for two main reasons: Rapidash is a fire type, and it is an offensive type that has always been extremely strong in PU because we are sorely lacking in fire resists. The second reason is its coverage and speed, already that the number of fire resists is low, if Rapidash's movepool allows it to break through a large part of them it becomes really hard to deal with. Wild Charge for bulky waters, High Horsepower for other Rapidash, a recovery move with Morning Sun, Rapidash has everything it needs. We can regret the lack of a powerful grass type move other than Solar Blade, but it wouldn't have been PU at first so I can't complain.

Jynx is another Pokemon that had quickly established itself as one of the most powerful breakers and sweepers of the post-dlc2 PU, victim of many rather mixed opinions, separating the pro-bans and those who were against. I sincerely think that Jynx has just gone from borderline to very strong in my eyes. Its ice type is still extremely strong offensively and it stilll has an unresisted coverage but the presence of the new fire-type threats such as Ninetales and Rapidash and the threat I mentioned earlier in Lycanroc make it much less free than it was before. Moreover, Stall's rise in popularity does not help it at all to do what he would like to do and I think that's what made it go from almost broken to just a powerful wallbreaker.
I believe Rapidash's one of better if not the best shot is to be defensive supporter than a breaker. It definitely lacks good movepool and if you end up clicking the main core of flare blitz/wild charge/high horsepower you end up trading urself due to recoil as two of the aforementioned moves includes it. It's support set cripples physical mons and especially steels with flame body and morning sun lets it heal taken chip or you can get toxic off against plausable waters eg. Quagsire that hard walls it otherwise (unless we use the niche set of power herb + solar blade). Offensively Rapidash can't really pass through Runerigus, Quagsire, Altaria, Sandaconda, Appletun and Corsola-G for example. Offensively there is lot of faster things to revenge kill this thing. I believe Rapidash ends up being as overrated as it was in NU when it first dropped.

Im not going to go though Jynx as this is probs one of the biggest losers due to latest drops and not too much to add. Good amount of revenge killers/faster mons and defensively there still is mons like Metang, Quagsire (gosh i keep repeating Quagsire, but its amazing mon right now).
4- :quagsire: Stall :audino::

Stall is an archetype that has never been very popular in SS PU as we have always lacked "Stall mons". But since the recent shifts, we have gained back a lot of great stall pillars. After having one-on-one additions such as Flareon, Ferroseed, Corsola-Galar, Quagsire, Tangela, Audino, Sableye, Clefairy, Ditto, Carbink have really brought the stall up to its peak. I sincerely think this is one of the most effective playstyles atm and I look forward to seeing how the players will adapt to this metagame.
I think this is interesting topic, because of our lack of defensive mons through this gen. Stall is coming strongly through right now and I have seen lot of experimenting with it as of late. How do we tackle stall tho outside of strong breakers? The very forgotten move called taunt I guess should be introduced, yup, its still there to give a struggle for stalls. We have also gotten lot of good taunters with latest drops eg. Sableye, Qwilfish, Golbat, Persian-A to name few.

I wouldn't say personally stall being most efficient playstyle, but it's "powerranking" has risen a lot for sure. Our hazard setters has gotten way more diverse and so are knock off users to cripple this playstyle. I think this is good and healthy direction for our tier to have finally viable stalls. I understand facing stall might be annoying sometimes, but team building on its own is always like playing rock-paper-scissors and you end up being weak to something, it's just how it goes unfortunately.

Welp, promised this post to come out tomorrow, but had very boring meeting so here ya go,

e: i dont think we need to ban a single mon in this upcoming voting slate, everything is fine. If anyone wants to continue this topic, just hit me up

-t

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)