np: NU Stage 9 - Locked Out of Heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's been a long while since this thread was active, but I really think some trends have changed a bit since the last time we all discussed things here! I'm wondering if anyone else has toyed around with Alomomola at all lately? I played around for it a bit in RU after hearing some hype about it, and I've got to say that I really like how it plays on offensive teams there. So I toyed around with it on a couple of offensively oriented teams in NU, and I really think it does well.

The issue I think that a lot of people have with Alomomola is playing with it as a full on physical wall. I like to play with it like a bulky pivot that can Wish pass to other teammates. Something I see far too often when I'm playing against other people is that they bring it in on a physical attacker and Wish + Protect until the opponent is aggravated enough to switch. Rather than doing this, on more offensive teams, you can bring in Alomomola against attackers that you may or may not have other checks to–sort of like bringing in Alomomola to scout–then Wish and switch out to something else. Thanks to Regenerator, you don't have to worry about using the Wish to heal yourself, and you can focus more on recovering your teammates. Some of the Pokemon I've been using alongside it have been Golurk and Scolipede, and they've both proven to be some pretty great teammates. In general, bulky offensive Pokemon that may struggle to switch into certain threats love the huge Wishes that Alomomola passes.

While stall may be less present now than it used to be because of how fast and offensive the metagame has become, Alomomola has still been working for me. Has anyone else tried Alomomola on offense? If so, how has it worked for you and what kind of teammates have you been using for it?

I don't like the massive special grass/electric weakness, but it makes an outstanding partner to Shell Smash Carracosta. All the complaints about its bulk being compromised too much on a switch are alleviated as its heals 92% of its HP on a switch.

When I make offensive teams, I usually have four fast and (mostly) powerful offensive Pokemon and two supporting that can take hits, cure status, pass wishes, spin, et cetera. Alomomola can take physical hits, then pass wishes while usually healing almost as much damage as it took. Definitely some solid glue for any offensive team that has trouble pivoting.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dead thread! Going to revive it a little after I reply to Treecko's questions.

I love using Alomomola when I get the chance to and now is no exception. Instead of Protect I've actually opted for Psych Up so it has a chance versus BU Braviary and anything else that wants to set up on it (but mainly Braviary since it p much fucks with the rest of my team) and I've been mainly using it to take hits and rarely to Wish and stall with it. It's not really a stand out mon but definitely useful in both this meta and in my team.

Something else I do want to want to bring up is Jynx. Has anyone else tried out HP Ground > Focus Blast? It 2HKO's most things Focus Blast would otherwise OHKO, but with Lovely Kiss and prediction that isn't too unlikely, and it also has the added bonus of never missing unlike Focus Miss.

Also it has a chance at 2HKOing Metang compared to Focus Blast (and if Metang is switching in, 0 Atk Metang Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jynx: 152-180 (56.08 - 66.42%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Jynx can actually live that and kill it the next turn).

252 SpA Life Orb Jynx Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Metang: 146-174 (45.06 - 53.7%) -- 35.16% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Jynx Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Metang: 125-148 (38.58 - 45.67%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Also on another note, what are you guys' favourite leads at this point in the meta? For me, Sawk is by far my favourite due to Mold Breaker although Serp is p awesome too with Taunt and CM alongside HP Rock and Giga Drain as both can pretty much stop Stealth Rock and allow other mons to be amazing. I also like Sash Scolipede for almost guaranteed Spikes. Golurk on the other hand is also p good as it comes down to prediction and if you predict the set it's using incorrectly you could potentially lose something, etc. So what are you guys' favourites?

Metang runs never 0 Atk. 168 Atk is the bare minimum Metang runs, just so it OHKO's with Bullet Punch. The only Metang version that might run less Attack is Hone Claws Metang but that one invests in SDef, and runs RestTalk.

My favorite lead is Misdreavus. Taunting SR leads, outspeeding most of them. I also run decent Speed on Misdreavus (56 Speed EV's, Timid) so I outspeed positive natured Base 60's and neutral natured Base 70's. This allows Misdreavus to handle any form of physical Samurott which is amazing, as well as that it prevents Ludicolo's Rain from getting up or Masquerain from accumulating Quiver Dances.

My favorite lead so far has got to be physically defensive Seismitoad. Not only does it set up Stealth Rock, but it can also threaten out other common leads like Golem, Metang, Regirock, Golurk, and Armaldo. Its bulk, immunity to Electric-type and Water-type (if Water Absorb) attacks, compounding with its decent offensive stats also complement its overall effectiveness in the tier. It doesn't have a poor Speed stat unlike most Stealth Rock setters as well, making it a pretty good fit for most teams.

I haven't tried this guy for a quite a while, but i definitely have got to add Golem to that list. Its Normal- and Flying- types resistances make it a really good utility Pokemon in the tier. It is no slouch offensively either, with STAB EdgeQuake and either Sucker Punch or Explosion as offensive moves; it can cost someone a Pokemon if he/she mispredicts. Golem's ability, Sturdy, is also a p cool ability to have, making Golem one of the most reliable Stealth Rock setter in the tier.

Oh, Misdreavus is a great lead too. ^^

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I like using Seismitoad as a lead too, since it has a great matchup. Even with the Swift Swim sweeper set, I like it because it's pretty much free rain. I've also found Scolipede to be an effective lead, not only setting up Spikes but threatening the opponent with QuakeSlide and Megahorn.

I've also been using Bastiodon as a lead lately, and with Magic Coat, Roar and Metal Burst, leads to really interesting mindgames vs the opponent. It also beats Scolipede because Magic Coat bounces back Spikes, Metal Burst deals damage and Roar if it tries setting up. Scolipede usually carries Aqua Tail > EQ anyway, so Bastiodon isn't really OHKOd

As for Jynx, HP Ground seems a fairly decent idea, but I never run Focus Blast anyway, so I can't say much. It also hits Skuntank hard, I guess

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
HP Ground is pretty much used for Metang only, since STAB Ice Beam and Focus Blast hits every other potential target harder.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think unlike almost every other meta I've played in, I don't really have a dedicated lead on most of my teams anymore. The exception to that is Golem on one of my teams, but it's more offensive and uses Golem to hit hard from the very beginning and get up nearly guaranteed Stealth Rock thanks to Sturdy. Otherwise, I usually base my lead on the most obvious lead from my opponent.

My most common leads, though, have been offensive Seismitoad, specially based Taunt Samurott, and bulky Scolipede. Once again though, this depends entirely on what my opponent is using.

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, dedicated leads aren't too much of relevance in the grand scheme of most NU matches unless they are using Pokemon that will benefit the team from that situation on some manner. This usually includes the use of Focus Sash/Sturdy Pokemon as a means of either getting up hazards and representing an offensive, suicidal nature otherwise (Scolipede, Golem) afterwards or simply to disrupt Pokemon to prevent their lead match-up from working (Taunt users like Samurott/Serperior, sleep inducers such as Jynx or Butterfree, something that can outright threaten the opposing Stealth Rock user, etc.). Anti-leading is quite prevalent, and a lot of that has to do with much hazards on their own defines the metagame as this strategy nets to complicate that otherwise. It heavily influences the options that both competent players introduce in the battle, as they would want that early-game momentum. As a result, players rarely lead their Stealth Rock users anymore unless they don't mind the actual team or possible anti-leads to threaten them, and it sometimes turns into a game of Speed when both happen to be scouting possible anti-leads.

As for favoritism on my part, I do fond of being bold with my options here. It typically boils down to how much of an offensive player I am that doesn't mind taking risks (which is why I sleep like quite often with Jynx/Butterfree). What I love in particular is leading Pokemon like Taunt Samurott/Serperior/Misdreavus, as well as Pokemon that can threaten a diversity of common leads are usually my cup of team. Of course, my strategy on leading shifts based on the playstyle of my opponent; if it's a more defensive team, I usually play more conservative and lead my Stealth Rock user anyways as a means of backing up my win condition of breaking through cores and opening the path of sweeping for another Pokemon. If it's more offensive, I tend to play a more offensive nature and lead a fast Focus Sash user (if I have one) that can disrupt my opponent, lead a wall-breaker such as Sawk or Samurott if I notice any clear-cut openings, or start off with a Choice user that can force the opponent out while being able to get out on its own when necessary.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
holy shet this font is gross where do i change it???

anyway there will be a new np: thread coming soon; i don't have the power to lock this and sticky it atm, but rest assured it will be shortly

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
oh i figured out how to lock it (i think?)

new np will be up in the hour

tennisace sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)