Metagame NP: NU Stage 5.2 - Dancing in the Moonlight [Council Vote - Post #54]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
However, I disagree with comparisons made by users such as Ren-Chon that it is similar to Arena Trap and Baton Pass as moves and abilities are in separate categories. [...] By contrast, both Snow Warning and Arena Trap have a much smaller amount of users, and many of their users do the same thing (autoset Hail or trap a grounded Pokemon, respectively). As for Arena Trap, it enables a lot more than Snow Warning currently does. In past gens where it is now banned, Dugtrio alone enabled a plethora of threats compared to Snow Warning because Arena Trap does not need specific Pokemon with specific abilities to synergize with it, whereas Snow Warning does.
I think you missed my point a bit, although this is mostly my fault for not being more specific. My point isnt that snow warning is as broken as baton pass or trapping abilities, my point is that for something to be banned it doesnt have to be something super broken that sweeps teams with no issues or that can tank 90% of the tier, it can simply be a move or ability that enables broken things (trapping abilities removing counterplay to some threats, and baton pass enabling full baton pass chains). The distribution or how strong it is doesnt matter in this case, since I was just trying to exemplify different ways something could be broken. I should be clearer on that note since BP and trapping are two notoriously toxic strats slowly being eliminated in all tiers and gens, so I apologize for that.

This point makes a lot of assumptions about future metagames in a scenario where Vish is banned but now Snow Warning. It assumes that the meta would automatically resume to the point it was right before the Cress ban (minus Cress and most Hail of course), Vaporeon usage would drop off the face of a cliff, and that Sandslash-A plus maybe Beartic would be this unkillable duo that sweeps teams with ease, and this is why I don't particularly like this point. I have personally experimented with Vish-less Hail myself (replaced Vish with Beartic) and have found it to be extremely underwhelming, as even standard team builds can often play around it. The main reason why Vish is the issue is not only its interaction with Snow Warning, but also a 170Bp move not factoring STAB that it can spam against 80% of teams without any drawback, a movepool to deny any possible switch-ins such as Vaporeon, and surprising bulk that lets it live a random hit if it needs to a dish out one in return. Sandslash-A has none of these, which is why I wouldn't see Hail as broken after a Vish ban.
No one, that Ive seen at least, is trying to make future meta predictions though, and if they are their arguments should be just ignored since we need to focus on whats happening right now, not a meta or two in advance. Besides that, its pretty agreed upon that banning Arctovish would completely kill hail teams, no ones arguing against that. Beartic sucks, Sandslash-A sucks, Vanilluxe and Aurorus suck, and so on. Thing is: how many things do we need to ban before we can recognize the real issue? We would be heading for our third ban now completely related to snow warning. Honestly, enough is enough. We need to address the elephant in the room and ban the literally ONE common factor between all those bans. You say that Arctovish is broken besides its hail interaction, but this is just not true at all. Even in its heyday during the very first metas of pre-DLC 1 NU it was still a relatively controversial and not that dominant pick. Its broken because it has a strong, easily spammable STAB, yes, but thats largely gated by the fact you need to move first on a mon thats slow as heck. And guess whats the one thing completely removing this flaw? Snow warning. You mention how Sands-A is bad with hail up, but thats quite obvious. I repeat: we are already possibly heading towards our third hail related ban. We dont have many other good hail abusers or broken stuff related to hail because we already banned every single one of them.

My response is simple: just because something uses a factor to become problematic does not mean that it's what enabled it, not the abuser, that's the problem. Of course, this has a certain limit in many cases, but I don't feel that Hail has reached the point where it's enabling so much where it's unhealthy and constraining. This is where Veil comes in. I disagree that Hail vs Veil is a non-important distinction because Hail teams and Veil teams are two different playstyles with only one thing in common.
The way I see it, this argument actually exemplifies why snow warning is the issue here. You say it yourself: snow warning is what enables the whole broken strategy, and not only that but you go further on and explains how hail and av teams are fundamentally different with one thing in common. This just proves that snow warning is broken beyond hail, that the ability can not only enable the slush rush fossil brothers but can also make screens teams really obnoxious to face by having a one turn reflect+light screen. So there we have snow warning enabling two very different deemed to be unhealthy archetypes (hail offense and aveil ho), as you said it yourself. This goes to show how versatile the ability actually is in a broken way.

This argument can probably go both ways. I will admit that Vish's interaction with Snow Warning, which provides it with free chip and a x2 boost in Speed, is one of the factors that makes it problematic; however, as I stated above, it's not the only factor.
Its not the only factor, yes, but its the main factor. You said it yourself: snow warning provides a slow mon that benefits hugely from moving first a free 2x speed boost. Fishious rend isnt broken when half the tier outspeeds and KOs arctovish, it becomes broken the moment you remove one of its two main forms of counterplay by making it basically always hit first. No matter how you see it, snow warning is the main reason why we are even having this arctovish talk right now, while auto hail has already proven to be an issue twice in the past.

I'm cheating a bit here because this is more of an anti-Hail stance than a specific anti-Snow Warning stance, but I still wanted to respond to it. As I stated on the last page, I truly do not believe Hail is broken and that people are knee-jerking to Hail being the issue when all it does is take advantage of common meta trends. In fact, if Hail wasn't such a cheesy and matchup-fishy playstyle, I would argue that a build taking advantage of common meta trends is a good thing, as it forces an otherwise stale meta to adapt. Vaporeon has already risen in usage and is a solid check to most Hail teams, while I have seen stuff such as Scarf Heliolisk and Toxicroak to outspeed/take advantage of many Hail teams. This isn't constraining, but rather different than the samey team structures I saw during the Bears suspect and right after; in fact, if given enough time, I think the meta could adapt to make Hail much less viable than it currently is right now, considering Hail has only really been popular for a bit over a month.
Thing is, theres a difference between a healthy, natural and organic process of adapting when the meta slowly shifts to accomodate for new trends and what hail is doing. Toxicroak, heliolisk and vaporeon only started seeing play because of hail, and theyre not the kind of mons you fit on your team because you thought "oh i kinda wanna have a frog, gecko or the water dog here itd really fit my team haha :)", you use them on your team because else youll be 6-0d by hail with little to no counterplay. Hell, even if you use croak or helio you risk getting KOd by icicle crash, leaving only vaporeon as the REAL hail counter. What often happens with other offensive behemoths is that we have little to no defensive counterplay and mostly have to rely on predicting the right move or revenging it after it claimed a life, such was the case with toxtricity, pangoro and pory-z. However, hail basically removes the whole offensive counterplay option by being faster than the whole tier bar a few scarfers (that cant deal well with hail anyway) and the defensive counterplay being basically vaporeon, and even then you barely ever need to predict like you had with the aforementioned mons: if your opp doesnt have a vaporeon, you click fishious rend; if they do, you dont. The meta didnt adapt to hail, rather the players are now being FORCED to use a very limited array of choices just to have a shot. This paragraph isnt meant to be a pro-snow warning or pro-vish ban, but I just want to highlight how metagames dont always adapt in a healthy way and how damaging forcing them to is.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On a more non-Hail discussion, I want to shine some light on two Pokemon I've personally been enjoying as substitutes with Cresselia being banned. Uxie and Musharna are two Pokemon I am enjoying a lot and on paper, and a few people see Musharna as completely unviable due to Uxie being the bulkier option. Uxie should rise in viability (should be greater than a Musharna of course) because of its amazing utility in conjunction with its bulky defenses.

:ss/uxie:
Colbur Berry & Itemless feels like the more optimal choice on Stealth Rock sets to either help it switch into Fighting-types like Sirfetch'd and Machamp to let to take less Knock Off damage or check Poltergeist Pokemon like Golurk and Dhelmise. Knock Off has always been an amazing utility move as it prevents Pokemon like Copperajah from getting recovery with Leftovers or it gets rid of Heavy-Duty Boots on Pokemon like Talonflame and Mantine which causes Stealth Rock to pressure them more. I also feel like Uxie can pull off a Calm Mind set, very similar to Cresselia with Kee Berry and Rest. I would probably suggest a cleric like Vaporeon, Sylveon, or Diancie that can awake it from its sleep with Heal Bell. We've had quite a few submissions from the Next Best Thing Project if you are interested in some creative sets, and I encourage you to check it out and/or participate in it! Here are some Uxie sets you can copy/paste in your builder if you need~
Uxie @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Yawn

Uxie
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Psychic

Uxie @ Kee Berry / Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Rest

:ss/musharna:
Musharna on the other hand isn't a Uxie, but the main difference I can put my thumb on is the fact that it has Synchronize. I'm not going to lie, this ability isn't one of the things I just search in my builder, but its unique ability allows it to punish status users, particularly Pokemon that may try using Toxic to stop it from sweeping like Gastrodon or Talonflame. It also has Moonlight, so it doesn't have to keep coming in/out of combat to use Rest just for reliable recovery. I do not feel like there is any other set that you could run that you'd just run on Uxie, but this is more of a fun option I've been enjoying lately. Xiri also used it in the NU League and I believe he is also still in, but you should check out this set!
Musharna @ Kee Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Moonlight

What Psychic-types have you been enjoying in the tier lately in substitution with Cresselia being gone and how'd you support them? :blobwizard:

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Similarly to Roxiee, I wanna bring up a non-Hail niche, however, this is one that can check Hail. Electric Terrain HO is a playstyle that was widely used since the huge December shifts and most notably during the Sigilyph suspect (and a little bit during the bear suspect, but was outperformed by Hail). Raichu-A is the most obvious abuser of this style and was even voted on to be banned at least once during council votes. Nothing has really changed from this playstyle other than the fact that Hail became more common, however, it can work as a counter to Hail.

Firstly, Raichu-A, Sceptile, and Hitmonlee are all terrain abusers that can outspeed Arctovish and Sandslash-A under Hail. This is great as they can also check the Hail abusers. Raichu-A's Rising Voltage and Focus Blast is great for the aforementioned Slush Rushers and the Hail setters, as well as Psyshock/Psychic for Dragalge; it cannot reliably take out Decidueye, but that is why Tsareena is a great Pokemon to pair on Electric Terrain (I'm shortening this as ET for now on). Tsareena's high Attack stat and access to Knock Off, Rapid Spin, High Jump Kick, and U-turn allows it to check Decidueye, remove Dragalge's Toxic Spikes, threaten a switch-in to the Slush Rush Pokemon and can pivot into any of your abusers. Sceptile and Hitmonlee can use Electric Seed for an Unburden boost to help with their low Defense stat and they can threaten most of the metagame, as well as Hail. Sceptile gets Acrobatics that can hit neutrally on a lot of Pokemon, Leaf Blade as excellent STAB that helps with many of the Water-type Pokemon, and the last slot can go to either Drain Punch for Steel-type coverage or Earthquake for Steel-type coverage minus Bronzong, and Dragalge. It's access to Swords Dance also allows it to sweep through Hail teams.

Secondly, Blastoise and Comfey are bulky enough to not die as easily while sweeping. Blastoise is a thick turtle that can live Fishious Rend, Freeze Dry, and probably a single Leaf Blade from Decidueye, I haven't calced that yet. It is faster than all Hail Pokemon after a single Shell Smash and has access to Electric-type Terrain Pulse for Arctovish, and Surf and Ice Beam for everything else. Comfey, while using Electric Seed and Calm Mind can become unbreakable with Draining Kiss and Substitute. Sure, it will still get hurt massively against Hail, but it still works if Sandslash-A and Dragalge are gone (and any Steel-types).

Lastly, this is a broken playstyle. I mentioned that Raichu-A was voted on to be banned, nothing has changed that would have made ET a less broken playstyle over the 2-3 months. With shifts tomorrow and the anticipation of Gastrodon and Golisopod moving up to RU, ET can be even better than Hail. I highly recommend you to use it.

This is a team I made last night after talking to Xerovis and a couple other users in the NU room about ET, if you want to get back into ET, I suggest this (click the sprites):
:ss/pincurchin: :ss/Raichu-Alola: :ss/Sceptile: :ss/Blastoise: :ss/Comfey: :ss/Tsareena:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
Hello, due to the results of the survey, the NU Council will be having a vote on what to do with Hail over the next couple of days. The options for the vote will be: Ban Snow Warning / Ban Arctovish / Do Nothing. It will be a ranked system, so council members will be able to choose what they would like to do in the order that they see fit.

The reason that we are doing this as opposed to a vote on just Arctovish or just Snow Warning is because the council is still split on what the right way to go about this vote is, and the community for the most part is split, though there are more people that support an Arctovish ban that participated in the survey. If Snow Warning is banned, it will also mean that Arctozolt and Aurora Veil will be dropped at the same time, as they will take a large nerf without auto hail in games.

There is also the possibility that no matter what the result of this test is, hail/snow warning teams may still pose a problem. If this is the case, we will more than likely choose to go with a public test at that point in time, and will have to evaluate what the correct route to go with from there is.

There has already been a lot of great discussion in this thread so far, so I hope that it continues, and feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!

Mariannabelle

chill guy
Losing Gastro is huge.

:Tyrantrum: Loves this shift. Not only did it lose one of very few answers in Gastrodon, but also it gained two new victims to threaten with Scarf or Band Head Smash.

:Entei: :Arcanine: :Salazzle: :Charizard: Fires in general are happy to see Gastro go. Notably, NP Salazzle and Wild Charge Arcanine are gonna be lookin’ fine, unless Jellicent and Lanturn start picking up, respectively.

I think various all-out attacker builds get a bit better with Gastro gone, too. Expert Belt Goodra, Starmie, etc. all benefit from not needing to consider Power Whip or Grass Knot for Gastro anymore. Copper has one less reason to use Power Whip and gained reasons to use Stone Edge.

We lost two good Spikers, so that kinda sucks for Spikes teams.

Choice band sets sets are manageable.Small speed gain so he doesn't tie vs drapion,articuno and ghostvally,but doesn't have more breaking potential than arcanine.Fair one
Then,there is cm set aka VinTei.Forget your usual fire resists,they all got pp stalled by substitute+protect.
Gastrodon rising makes this set more threatining,burned targets are more susceptible to sub+tect combo.

Wide coverage,great bulk and 2 great setup options.This mon is definitely busted.There's no answers.Although CB lack recovery and is a bit slow (need jolly to outspeed vaporeon and above and miss some 2hko if not adamant),substitute sets seem the bests.This mon is so bulky.A lot of unboosted/uninvested moves fail to break substitute.
Iron defenses sets are even more obnoxious because he doesn't entirely rely on body press to do damages thanks to chilling neigh also boosting it's attack.

Some eated moves:

:vaporeon: 0 SpA Vaporeon Scald vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 87-103 (21.6 - 25.6%) -- 1.3% chance to 4HKO
:copperajah: 252+ Atk Copperajah Heavy Slam (40 BP) vs. +2 240 HP / 0 Def Glastrier: 60-72 (14.9 - 17.9%) -- possible 6HKO
:bronzong: 252 Def Bronzong Body Press vs. +2 240 HP / 0 Def Glastrier: 66-78 (16.4 - 19.4%) -- possible 6HKO
:rotom-mow: 0 SpA Rotom-Mow Volt Switch vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 73-87 (18.2 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO
:mantine: 0 SpA Mantine Hurricane vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 91-108 (22.6 - 26.9%) -- 32.7% chance to 4HKO

So there is only sylveon who can bypass sub without being murdered by icicle crash but loses to swords dance.

:sylveon: +2 0 Atk Glastrier Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 237-280 (60.1 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It was useful to check salazzle,talonflame,tyrantrum in 1 slot.Copper can now run stone edge more to hit resurging fire types.

Bye spikes.There is others options but lack offensive or defensive presence to be good as golisopod and roserade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)