Now Playing 2: The Return of Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
You Should Go Ahead - Seventy One

This song is so slow and melancholy, it's so perfect for me. It's about knowing someone who commits suicide, so you can see why it's sad.

10/10

Thursday - Steps Ascending

One of the best thursday songs imo. Love everything about this song, but especially the ending geoff's voice just sounds that little bit more emotional and passionate then normal.

Easily a 10/10 song

bill monroe - white house blues

absolutely wonderful. this is like... chase music, only its good all the time. nary has a better banjo been played.

8/10

Nina Nastasia & Jim White - I Come After You

"A sober night would do you good"... sure, perhaps I'm reading into it a bit much because of my own current issues involving alcohol and drama, but honestly, this is one of the better closers to an album I've heard in a long time. You Follow Me is such a short (but passionate and fucking amazing) album to begin with, which makes finding a proper closing even more difficult. "I Come After You" closes it so beautifully, though, completely turning the vaguely obsessive nature of the album into something newa nd different.

A bunch/10, because I said so. What the fuck you gonna do about it?

listen to at the drive-in, it's basically an older sparta with different vocals. in fact, before ATDI broke up, 3 members of sparta were part of the band
Yeah, At The Drive-In is on my list of music to download, but as my hard drive was recently broken, I have to download all the songs I had on my computer, so new bands (that I haven't listened to before) aren't really first on the list. I hope I manage to pick ATDI up soon though.

Shpongle - Molecular Superstructure

Yet another incredible piece of music by Shpongle. Not my favorite track from them but it deserves a listen once in a while, because the basic tribalistic and psychedelic sound of Shpongle is always worthy of a listen. The flute in this song is also pretty damn cool.

8.5/10

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, At The Drive-In is on my list of music to download, but as my hard drive was recently broken, I have to download all the songs I had on my computer, so new bands (that I haven't listened to before) aren't really first on the list. I hope I manage to pick ATDI up soon though.
Keep an eye on that forum down there (winknudge). After work today I'll get some up for you.

Metric ~ Butcher

9/10 - I really like Metric, and of course this song is pretty good too. It's slower than some other of their songs I've heard. Very nice though. :)

(Why do my posts in this topic keep getting deleted? :pirate:)

John Butler Trio - Attitude

Absolute quality. I don't post here often, so you can tell that this must be good if I am telling everyone to listen to it. Aussie Indie Rock at its best.

10/10

The RedJumpsuit Apparatus - False Pretense

damn, this band was so good until the "face down" vid came out and they got noobed all over.
great song-

9/10

Wilco - Jesus Etc.

This song is like as close to country as you can get without being country.

not sure yet but this album's really growing on me/10

OrbitingDeath

formerly SkylarGreen
np: Depeche Mode - Blasphemous Rumours (live)

Really relaxing music after a short day of work, always enjoying this.
And Echo, about ATDI, I would really recommend of downloading it before you download the music you already had before your harddrive crashed, you won't regret it.

The Gift - Are You Near

These guys and girl are a portuguese synthpop band. They're really well known, although usually disliked here. The sound and especially the lyrics tend to be repetitive within one song, but this doesn't stop them from beeing catchy. This one has cool distorted vocals and refrain.

The Gift - Are You Near

These guys and girl are a portuguese synthpop band. They're really well known, although usually disliked here. The sound and especially the lyrics tend to be repetitive within one song, but this doesn't stop them from beeing catchy. This one has cool distorted vocals and refrain.
yeah!!! do you like David Fonseca his songs are pretty simple but catchy. I like him!

Judas Priest - Painkiller

This is one of the songs you listen to and say 'wow, Judas Priest really pushed themselves on this one', it just gives out that feeling - the screaming, the incessant drumming and one of the best parts of the song, the drum solo. I'd give it a 9/10.

John Butler Trio - Attitude

Absolute quality. I don't post here often, so you can tell that this must be good if I am telling everyone to listen to it. Aussie Indie Rock at its best.

10/10
I had a beer with these guys in the summer of 02. Their first album was nothing short of an Australian masterpiece.

np: Dr. Octagon - 3000

9/10

Probably the best hip-hop beat I've ever heard. I love the start of this song when the drums come in. Also some strangely awesome lyrics.

Animal Collective - The Purple Bottle

I think this was my first Animal Collective song, either that or Grass. Anyways, it's also one of my favorites on Feels. Loch Raven, the track prior to this one, is a lot slower and feels kind of like a break between the real songs, and as soon as I hear the drumming start up from this I feel so happy. I love almost everything about this song, from the soft yet quick piano going hand in hand with the drums and the crazy guitar picking up about halfway through. This is the definitive Animal Collective song, but a little more difficult to listen to than Grass is. Oh well, I love it.

9.5/10
the purple bottle was my first ac song! the first half is adorably chipper, and the second half is just stunning.

sundowner - steal your words

ughhhhh <3. too beautiful. sundowner is chris mccaughan of the lawrence arms doing acoustic songs. this song is simply magical, and the cello (i think its a cello) gives it a little something extra. chris is an unbelievably good poet, which makes things even better.

i massacred the afternoon
to the sound of rain drumming against parked cars
i drenched myself in desperate colours for you
yeah, i was dripping for your sympathy
i wear this weakness on my sleeve
i'd like to put you on; i'd like to wear you out

9.5/10

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sonata Arctica - My Land

If you're into the melodic/power metal side of heavy metal, you have to hear this band and this song. They do it so well, so much better than any other bands. Tony Kakko has a golden throat.

9.5/10

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
Kristofer Åström -All In

Someone help me, I'm falling in love with Swedish alt-country.

9.5/10

havoc

pottlepalooza
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Madvillain - Eye

There were a bunch of hip-hop beats played on Adult Swim circa 2003-2004 that I loved. I found most of them, but there were 3 or 4 (naturally they were my favorites) that I never found; I don't think I ever will. The beat for this song is the closest thing to those beats I know of--slightly Eastern-tinged, very haunting. One of the best hip-hop beats I can think of readily, even though it's wasted by what sounds like a generic female R&B singer.

7.5/10

Celldweller - I Believe You

Though Celldweller was the one who brought to us the greatness that is Switchback, this song is repetitively sub-par.

5.3/10

The Smiths - Barbarism Begins At Home

Don't particularly like the song as a whole, but is really impressive if you just listen to the bass, or just the guitar. Guess it's more of a technical thing than easy listening.

6/10

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Opeth - The Grand Conjuration

Take Morbid Angel-style death metal. Mix it with 70s organs (like Rick Wakeman, yes), eerie, Black Sabbath melodies, and a vocalist who can sound like he's the new David Gilmour and roar as if he was Satan himself. Not to mention, there are jazz/latin influenced drums, and numerous time changes and tempos. This is all packed into one 10-minute fest of music.

Congratulations, you have discovered one song in Opeth's discography. That was just the one. This song (and album, and band's discography) will completely SHATTER your notions about death metal. If ever metal came packed in spades of intelligence, this would be it.

10/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)